• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw64life

Finally pulled the trigger this morning:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.88 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 750GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($58.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Dell S2417DG 23.8" 165Hz Monitor ($409.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1559.77

Only about $60 more than I wanted to spend total on a new PC + monitor. Not bad at all. I haven't built a PC since 2011 so I'm nervous as usual but hopefully everything will work out.

Mupod

Finally pulled the trigger this morning:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.88 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($80.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial MX300 750GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Desktop HDD 4TB 3.5" 5900RPM Internal Hard Drive ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($58.98 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Dell S2417DG 23.8" 165Hz Monitor ($409.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1559.77

Only about $60 more than I wanted to spend total on a new PC + monitor. Not bad at all. I haven't built a PC since 2011 so I'm nervous as usual but hopefully everything will work out.

I always get nervous about new builds and it makes no sense. I work in IT and have put together or repaired countless desktops and laptops. For some reason I only worry when it's my own stuff.

This one will be my first time installing any kind of watercooling, but it's not like AIO stuff is hard. Hell it has its own thermal paste applied already.

LilJoka

dammit I'm paralyzed on my SSD choice. I've got my heart set on the m.2/NVME ones, and the intel 600p seems to be just the right price and decent performance. But there's some REALLY weird results in its benchmarks. One of the reviews says that the benchmarks it does poorly on are all simply just unrealistic scenarios for the things I'd use it for, and that does make sense as a budget product.

I could wait for the Samsung 960s and their bonkers speeds but who knows when those will surface and this is supposed to be my system drive.

The only thing that matters is random 4k performance. Most SSDs are not that far apart here. You have to remember a good HDD scores about 0.1MBps. A decent SSD scores 40MBps. That's where the performance comes from.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
My brother is looking to build a PC and is thinking of this. Thoughts, PC-GAF?

xD20DmS.jpg

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
How beneficial is SDD for games? I already have an SDD running my OS but need to get another storage option to store my Steam games.

Been eyeing a large 2tb 7200rpm HDD but may consider a 500gb SDD if the improvements are dramatic(and clean out the fridge regularly for stuff I am not playing).

ISee

How beneficial is SDD for games? I already have an SDD running my OS but need to get another storage option to store my Steam games.

Been eyeing a large 2tb 7200rpm HDD but may consider a 500gb SDD if the improvements are dramatic(and clean out the fridge regularly for stuff I am not playing).

Way faster loading.
Also can help with streaming in stuff like textures.

But no FPS gains or general performance improvements.

Mupod

Night and day for some games, especially MMOs.

In Overwatch when a new character comes out I can always pick them so fast the rest of my team ragequits.

Asus 1080 or 1070? Playing wow, the witcher 3, and want to play Dishonored 2. Coming from an Asus 980 Matrix. I'm running the Asus rog swift 27 inch monitor at 1440p.

Also, are the OC editions of either card worth the price difference?

My current system is as follows:
ASUS ROG RAMPAGE IV BLACK EDITION LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Gaming Motherboard
i74820k @ 3.9 ghz
Asus
32 gigs of Corsair Dominator ram at 2400mhz
Two ssds, 2 regular HDs

Would it make sense to get the Asus Strix 1080, or the 1080 oc? Or with my CPU is the 1070 the way to go?

Also, any suggestions for upgrades to the CPU I'd be interested in.

Thanks!

Asus 1080 or 1070? Playing wow, the witcher 3, and want to play Dishonored 2. Coming from an Asus 980 Matrix. I'm running the Asus rog swift 27 inch monitor at 1440p.

Also, are the OC editions of either card worth the price difference?

If you're willing to spend, then 1080 is probably the better bet. 1440p can make the 1070 dip below 60FPS, so you'll need more overhead - or lowered settings - to maintain consistency. What CPU would you be coupling that with, might I ask?

Edit: Ah, you said as much while I was writing. Then your performance with the 1070 would likely be lower than the benchmarks used by Digital Foundry and such, if I understand correctly.

I am thinking of upgrading to a X99 build. My budget is not a super issue so I am not really looking at Z170.

Here is what I have put together:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6800K $505.98 @ DirectCanada
MB: ASUS X99-A II $321.49 @ Amazon.ca
RAM: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz (PC4-25600) CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 $135.98 @ Amazon.ca
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 $102.94 @ Amazon.ca
Cooler: NH-U14S $89.95 @ Amazon.ca

I am thinking of salvaging the following from my current PC:
PSU: Seasonic X-850
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500gb
GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Ti

If you haven't realized this is in Canadian monopoly money that's why the cost is higher. I will most likely be price matching these at NCIX to get them all from the same place.

I am debating if i should get a Intel SSD 600P 512GB M.2 drive as a boot drive but I don't know very much about these new types of SSD. Also I think it should be OK but my PSU is the oldest thing in my current build but it is a Seasonic which is still sold today I am not exactly sure how old it is no more then 2-3 years.

Foxyone

Been thinking of upgrading my 750 ti to a RX 480 since there are some cheap deals, but ended up with a $300 4k 48" Vizio tv.Not sure if I made a mistake :/

Been thinking of upgrading my 750 ti to a RX 480 since there are some cheap deals, but ended up with a $300 4k 48" Vizio tv.Not sure if I made a mistake :/

...In the sense that the money you had planned for the GPU went into a TV, or you're wondering if the TV would be an ill fit for the graphics card?

If you're willing to spend, then 1080 is probably the better bet. 1440p can make the 1070 dip below 60FPS, so you'll need more overhead - or lowered settings - to maintain consistency. What CPU would you be coupling that with, might I ask?

Edit: Ah, you said as much while I was writing. Then your performance with the 1070 would likely be lower than the benchmarks used by Digital Foundry and such, if I understand correctly.

So the 1080 is a good bet then? Regular or the OC edition? The clock speed on the OC is 1936 stock and the regular is like 1635. So about 399 MHz. Will that make much of a difference? I am running their sync monitor at 1440p so I'm curios if there would be much difference.

jwhit28

Trying to build a game focused PC with a hard limit of $550 for a friend. He primarily will play BF1/Dark Souls/Tomb Raider style games at 1080p but got a 4k TV today and would like to play some games on it if possible. I know most games ask for a quad core CPU right now, do the logical cores on an i3 at least allow it to pass any types of actual hardware checks?

I'm basically stuck between i3 6100 + GTX 1060 6GB (maybe not best for online fps) or i5 6400 + RX 470 4GB (so long most 4k).

vector824

Trying to build a game focused PC with a hard limit of $550 for a friend. He primarily will play BF1/Dark Souls/Tomb Raider style games at 1080p but got a 4k TV today and would like to play some games on it if possible. I know most games ask for a quad core CPU right now, do the logical cores on an i3 at least allow it to pass any types of actual hardware checks?

I'm basically stuck between i3 6100 + GTX 1060 6GB (maybe not best for online fps) or i5 6400 + RX 470 4GB (so long most 4k).

He'll be happier with the i5 and 470. Save up for a 1060 later.

So the 1080 is a good bet then? Regular or the OC edition? The clock speed on the OC is 1936 stock and the regular is like 1635. So about 399 MHz. Will that make much of a difference? I am running their sync monitor at 1440p so I'm curios if there would be much difference.

Again, if you can afford it, yes. As for that, I unfortunately don't know enough about individual clockspeeds to say. I think its basically the equivalent of a pre-overclock though, so its probably gonna have some effect, depending on whether you plan to overclock.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Newegg has the Intel 6800k for $380 and the 6700k for $300. Prices probably won't get any better than that on Cyber Monday right?

NOKYARD

Alright guys, I need your help!

My bro is a photographer and is looking to get a new computer to edit his stuff. I told him I would build a PC for him and he agreed. Thing is that he just went to a photography meetup and someone there is trying to tell him that they can build him a mac. I was like, bro, what? I didn't know you could do that. Still, I asked him what kind of magic he thinks a mac is going to add to his photos that wouldn't be there on a PC since they run the exact same software and he couldn't tell me but was still leaning towards having this total stranger build him a mac just because yeah, this guy is a photographer... I tried to tell him that a mac is going to cost like twice as much as a PC that I could build and would be half the power or less.

Thing is I know that he doesn't make much at the moment and I know that the mac ecosystem can be a huge money sink.

So, Gaf, help a brother out by helping me convince my brother that PC is the way to go. Unless I am completely wrong here... I will
un
graciously accept defeat if so.

He has about $400/$500 to play with and no need to worry about a GPU as I am selling him my R9 390 as well. So could you come up with something that I can show him? I figured there would be some great black Friday deals as well. I am gonna try to get him one of the crucial 750GB ssd's that go on sale tonight for $99 but could use some help on the rest since it's such short notice and I haven't done much black Friday research.

If he is building him a Mac it's more than likely a Hackintosh which is a PC that boots the Mac OS.
I my build can boot to either OS. It's not difficult to pull off but you need the correct mix of hardware.

Pachinko

Quick question:

XFX RX 480 RS 8G

Or

Asus 1060 Turbo 6G

Both the same price, £185.

Oh man... well I'd guess the 1060 would be better if you're sticking with 1080p. If you're worried about forwards compatibility (1440p monitor) then I guess the 480 is better ?

I mean , it sounds like the 1060 IS slightly better in some ways but it's got 6 gigs of vRAM instead of 8 so .. yeah.

Foxyone

...In the sense that the money you had planned for the GPU went into a TV, or you're wondering if the TV would be an ill fit for the graphics card?

Was pretty vague. I still plan on getting a GPU,likely a RX 480 because they are surprisingly cheap atm, unlike Nvidia's mid-range offerings, but maybe a cheap 4k TV was a bad move as someone that mostly plays CS and WoW, yet wanted to do some gaming on a big screen. Maybe a 4k monitor would have been better. Might be rocky going from a good PC monitor to a basic 4k TV in terms of things like input lag,since I was hoping to try using it as a PC monitor some of the time.

I'm hearing a rattling from my computer and I'm pretty sure it's coming from my power supplies fan.

Is that something i should try to clean out (compressed air didn't seem to do anything) or should I finally just get a new one (it's probably 6-7 years old at this point).

My brother-in-law (he's eleven) is asking for a custom built desktop for Christmas. His parents said they're budget is around $600. He wants it to run BF1 and Fallout 4 on medium or high. A keyboard, monitor, and mouse don't need to be factored in. Just the tower.

Is this doable on a $600 budget? Can someone put together a build and share it with me?

Edit:

Budget: $600-ish USA
Main Use: Light Gaming, Gaming, & General Usage: 5
Monitor Resolution: He'll be using a 65" HDTV for now. So he'll render games at 1080p. The monitor will come later.
Specific Games: He would love to run Fallout 4 and Battlefield 1 on medium/high.
Deadline: Christmas
Will you be overclocking?: For now, no.

I found this build and it looks pretty solid. Yay or nay?

Uff duh

Banned
Quick question just ordered a RoG swift and will I be able to use 144hz and gsync with a second 60hz monitor hooked up for teamspeak and all that. or will it limit both displays to 60 hz?

My brother-in-law (he's eleven) is asking for a custom built desktop for Christmas. His parents said they're budget is around $600. He wants it to run BF1 and Fallout 4 on medium or high. A keyboard, monitor, and mouse don't need to be factored in. Just the tower.

Is this doable on a $600 budget? Can someone put together a build and share it with me?

Read the OP

will the 480 8gb be enough to run VR stuff?

I literally googled "480 vr" and got this as the 1st link

http://wccftech.com/radeon-rx-480-steam-vr-benchmark-most-affordable/

A VR Ready tag implies a score above the 6 point mark and usually means that not a single frame fell below the 90 fps limit. The RX 480 can do all of that and then some, with the stock clocks clocking in at around 6.8 Points, and overclocked version (1315 Mhz) clocking in at 7 points.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236688&ignorebbr=1
Thisis one of those "too good to be true" looking things. Any reason this monitor is not like $800 since it has some sort of adaptive syncing and all?
There are sub $200 monitors that use Freesync. Only the G-Sync monitors tend to be really expensive for some reason. Also, it is a TN panel instead of IPS and Newegg's pricing is inflated to make it look like a better deal since Amazon lists MSRP as $450 not $600.

Oh man... well I'd guess the 1060 would be better if you're sticking with 1080p. If you're worried about forwards compatibility (1440p monitor) then I guess the 480 is better ?

I mean , it sounds like the 1060 IS slightly better in some ways but it's got 6 gigs of vRAM instead of 8 so .. yeah.
Does the 480 perform better at 1440p? I guess I will update my TV at some point.

I've read so many conflicting benchmarks and reviews I don't know what to think any more! My head is in a tizz.

I'm planning on keeping one and selling the other at cost to my brother.

Thanks for the input.

sn00zer

There are sub $200 monitors that use Freesync. Only the G-Sync monitors tend to be really expensive for some reason. Also, it is a TN panel instead of IPS and Newegg's pricing is inflated to make it look like a better deal since Amazon lists MSRP as $450 not $600.

TN? IPS?

-Deimos

I'm planning on upgrading my PC with an SSD soon and my MB is set to IDE mode right now. I want to switch to AHCI but I don't want to format my current HDD, does anyone know if that'll be a problem if I'm just going to be using it to store data? The OS is going to go on the SSD.

Trickster

Hey guys, I'm currently in the middle of building my pc, and run into question with regards to powering my graphics card.

Basically the gtx 1080 that I bought need a pcie 6 and 8 pin for power. Now here's what I'm unsure about. The pcie cables that came with my psu are 8 pin in the end that goes into the psu itself. However in the other end that goes into the gpu, they split of into two 6 pins and one 2 pin. Which if used together could fill up all the pcie slots on my gpu, however would that would powerwise? It just seems weird to me that it's 8 pin the psu end, and then splits off into a total of 14 pins on the gpu end of the cables.

Sorry for the poor wording, But i guess what I really want to know is, can I power the gpu by using one of these power cables, or do i need to use two pcie power cables to power the 6 and 8 pins on my gpu?

enewtabie

Hey guys, I'm currently in the middle of building my pc, and run into question with regards to powering my graphics card.

Basically the gtx 1080 that I bought need a pcie 6 and 8 pin for power. Now here's what I'm unsure about. The pcie cables that came with my psu are 8 pin in the end that goes into the psu itself. However in the other end that goes into the gpu, they split of into two 6 pins and one 2 pin. Which if used together could fill up all the pcie slots on my gpu, however would that would powerwise? It just seems weird to me that it's 8 pin the psu end, and then splits off into a total of 14 pins on the gpu end of the cables.

Sorry for the poor wording, But i guess what I really want to know is, can I power the gpu by using one of these power cables, or do i need to use two pcie power cables to power the 6 and 8 pins on my gpu?

You use the cable with the six and put the six and two plugs together into the eight. I think
I'm following you.

Edit:

Budget: $600-ish USA
Main Use: Light Gaming, Gaming, & General Usage: 5
Monitor Resolution: He'll be using a 65" HDTV for now. So he'll render games at 1080p. The monitor will come later.
Specific Games: He would love to run Fallout 4 and Battlefield 1 on medium/high.
Deadline: Christmas
Will you be overclocking?: For now, no.

I found this build and it looks pretty solid. Yay or nay?

That build isn't too bad... does he need to buy an OS? I would try to squeeze in an i5 if possible.

rtcn63

yes i know it's "vr ready" but i was thinking maybe i'd get some more detail by asking, sorry to offend

A 480/1060 should be fine considering the 970/980 was the minimum for VR for awhile. Generally you want the best card you can afford, but those cards should be more than enough for dipping your toes in. Just check out the Vive and Oculus subreddits.

can anyone recommend me a monitor to use with a Mac mini?

I don't plan to do any gaming but I would like something pretty nice hopefully under $200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom