• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megabat

Alright guys, I need your help!

My bro is a photographer and is looking to get a new computer to edit his stuff. I told him I would build a PC for him and he agreed. Thing is that he just went to a photography meetup and someone there is trying to tell him that they can build him a mac. I was like, bro, what? I didn't know you could do that. Still, I asked him what kind of magic he thinks a mac is going to add to his photos that wouldn't be there on a PC since they run the exact same software and he couldn't tell me but was still leaning towards having this total stranger build him a mac just because yeah, this guy is a photographer... I tried to tell him that a mac is going to cost like twice as much as a PC that I could build and would be half the power or less.

Thing is I know that he doesn't make much at the moment and I know that the mac ecosystem can be a huge money sink.

So, Gaf, help a brother out by helping me convince my brother that PC is the way to go. Unless I am completely wrong here... I will
un
graciously accept defeat if so.

He has about $400/$500 to play with and no need to worry about a GPU as I am selling him my R9 390 as well. So could you come up with something that I can show him? I figured there would be some great black Friday deals as well. I am gonna try to get him one of the crucial 750GB ssd's that go on sale tonight for $99 but could use some help on the rest since it's such short notice and I haven't done much black Friday research.

You can, in a way, "build a Mac." MacOS systems built from generic parts are colloquially known as "hackintoshes." You have to choose parts carefully, and OS installation is more involved. Sites like TonyMacx86 can help you pick compatible parts. The hardest parts are the motherboard and drivers for expansion cards. There is no significant cost difference compared to a windows-built machine, depending on how ambitious you are.

Mac and Windows do run most of the same photography software. Many creative professionals prefer MacOS, and it's all but industry-standard in video, photography, and music production. I don't do any of this professionally, but I've dabbled on both platforms. MacOS is streamlined and convenient, in many ways designed with these purposes in mind. It's largely subjective, but if he wants MacOS (on a system he'll go on to use for thousands of hours) I'd strive to get it for him. It's also cheaper at the outset, since all you need is access to a Mac to set up a boot drive - no Windows license.

This system should be MacOS compatible: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xs4VGf

The only thing influenced by compatibility is the motherboard. You could install either OS, or switch later on.

Most important, above anything else: RAM is cheap. Don't install anything less than 16GB.

EK Vardar's move more air at a more pleasant acoustic tone than Scythe GT's.

Will try them. I love good fans. They look like a revision of the GT's design. I had the GT's for a while and had never tried them on a radiator until last night and I was so impressed by how well they perform at low RPM.

The Vardar's are PWM which is a bonus

Megabat

My current CPU/GPU is a 2500K @ stock and a 7870. Would getting 1060 be a worthwhile upgrade or is my CPU too old at this point?

What is your target resolution/refresh rate?

I would overclock that 2500K before upgrading the GPU, if possible. If you have less than 8GB of RAM, fix that. If you aren't targeting high refresh rates or VR, go ahead and get a 1060. At 1080p, you're probably fine with the 3GB version. A Radeon 480 is not a great alternative; AMD's DX11 drivers have more CPU overhead.

A 4GHz+ 2500K/GeForce 1060 PC is pretty fast, but that's the end of the road. The next step is a fresh system.

Megabat

Hey guys just a quick question.

I just got a 4k tv and I'm planning to play a lot of PC games on it. I have a 980 ti so for a lot of games I'm probably going to sit around the 40-45 fps range.

What's the best way to deal with playing games at that kind of framerate? I'm use to compromising on settings until I have a solid 60 (and at 1440p I don't have to compromise much) but I'm guessing that won't be realistically viable at 4k.

Is this what adaptive v-sync is intended for?

Rivatuner Statistics Server. It's bundled with most MSI Afterburner installs. You can limit the framerate to 30Hz. Most of the time, you should just be able to drop settings.

You can, in a way, "build a Mac." MacOS systems built from generic parts are colloquially known as "hackintoshes." You have to choose parts carefully, and OS installation is more involved. Sites like TonyMacx86 can help you pick compatible parts. The hardest parts are the motherboard and drivers for expansion cards. There is no significant cost difference compared to a windows-built machine, depending on how ambitious you are.

Mac and Windows do run most of the same photography software. Many creative professionals prefer MacOS, and it's all but industry-standard in video, photography, and music production. I don't do any of this professionally, but I've dabbled on both platforms. MacOS is streamlined and convenient, in many ways designed with these purposes in mind. It's largely subjective, but if he wants MacOS (on a system he'll go on to use for thousands of hours) I'd strive to get it for him. It's also cheaper at the outset, since all you need is access to a Mac to set up a boot drive - no Windows license.

This system should be MacOS compatible: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xs4VGf

The only thing influenced by compatibility is the motherboard. You could install either OS, or switch later on.

Most important, above anything else: RAM is cheap. Don't install anything less than 16GB.

I find Mac OS X generally more enjoyable to use. I have a gaming PC but for everyday use I prefer to use my mac. Sounds very tempting to build my own

Megabat

I find Mac OS X generally more enjoyable to use. I have a gaming PC but for everyday use I prefer to use my mac. Sounds very tempting to build my own

Heck yeah. For me, the Magic Trackpad is half the appeal. Four-finger swiping between the edit and mix windows in Pro Tools rules.

Deadly

What's the difference between the Fractal Define S and the Define R4? I could have sworn on the first page it used to recommend the R4...

Megabat

What's the difference between the Fractal Define S and the Define R4? I could have sworn on the first page it used to recommend the R4...

It probably was recommended. The R4 has been replaced by the R5. The S is a variant of the R5 optimized for liquid cooling.

There isn't much difference between the R4 and R5. I think the R4 has been mostly phased out. Either case is a great option for low noise/decent cooling.

Celcius

°Temp. member
The Dell P2715Q was briefly available for $275 on Staples.

Put in an order to lock the price but don't know if I actually want it yet. Has anyone been following the 4K monitor market closer and have a comment on if this is a particularly notable deal or just kind of standard among the Black Friday options? Only 60 HZ, but IPS appeals to me.

This is an awesome monitor, we use these at work. IPS, great picture quality, very reliable, etc...
I was going to buy one myself but I see they're now sold out. That price is amazing. Definitely keep the order :)

The S doesn't have an optical drive and the R5 has a standard HDD cage in the front for 8 HDD/SSD, the S has all the drives behind the motherboard and can hold 3 HDD and 2 SSDs.

_BtB_

hmm need a little help with an upgrade. I would like to keep a few components from my current build, but not sure if they are all compatible together.

Current Build:
cpu - intel 2500k
memory - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (4x8Gb) 1600
psu - EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2
cooler - corsair h50
storage - 2xHDD 2xSSD
motherboard - gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3
optical drive - some $20 sata asus cdrw (not sure model)
sound card - Asus xonar dg (pci)
network card - Intel EXPI9301CTBLK (pcie x1?)
video card - gigabyte 970

New Build
cpu - intel 6600k
memory - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
motherboard - Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
everything else - is whats in the "current build"

My questions.
motherboard - this a decent motherboard for the 6600k? does it have all the required slots/ports for my current build parts? hows the oc'ing on it?
memory - how is corsair memory compared to gskill? I usually only get gskill because of the quality and support.

sorry for long post, just needed to get as much info as possible. If you need more info or have questions let me know, thanks!

Ashhong

Deal alert!

B&H photo has the Crucial MX300 750gb for 120$. Newegg via eBay has it for 100 at midnight plus tax for California and maybe more. If you use an Android device you can download the store app and get an additional 10$ off. Great price for me in cali

Vuze

But you don't need a password to connect to ethernet, so that's my concern. Isn't it essentially the same as having an unsecured wifi network, because someone else could buy a powerline adapter and connect to the network?
Well, your initial concern is warranted but you approach it from the wrong angle.

Powerline adapters need to be on the same power cycle in the first place and then need to be paired so essentially if your neighbors are on the same cycle they still had to break into your flat to press the pair button on your adapter and then sprint to theirs and do the same there within 2mins (or however long the pairing is active, it's 2 for mine). Your neighbors can't simply hook up a powerline adapter in their flat and use your connection.

Now, data transfered via Powerline can still partially bleed over in theory but modern powerline connectors have a forced encryption applied by default so it's not a huge concern.

timnich

But you don't need a password to connect to ethernet, so that's my concern. Isn't it essentially the same as having an unsecured wifi network, because someone else could buy a powerline adapter and connect to the network?
Two things - power line networks only run in a closed circuit. If your apartment has individual fuse boxes for each unit, you are fine.

Second, each adapter needs to be synced to another one. This involves pressing a button on a existing adapter and one the new adapter within minutes of each other. Without access to your power line adapters, no one would be able to connect to your network.
Edit: beaten...

I'm in pretty desperate need of a memory upgrade, but it seems like there aren't any good deals out there even now on Black Friday. Looking for 16GB of DDR3, since I'm still on LGA 1150. Anybody seeing a good deal I might've missed?

Also, I know that mixing RAM of different speeds will lock all of it to the speed of the lowest. Does overclocking raise that baseline? If overclocking what I already have and adding a smaller amount of higher grade stuff will be more cost effective I might just do that instead.

Megabat

I'm in pretty desperate need of a memory upgrade, but it seems like there aren't any good deals out there even now on Black Friday. Looking for 16GB of DDR3, since I'm still on LGA 1150. Anybody seeing a good deal I might've missed?

Also, I know that mixing RAM of different speeds will lock all of it to the speed of the lowest. Does overclocking raise that baseline? If overclocking what I already have and adding a smaller amount of higher grade stuff will be more cost effective I might just do that instead.

What's your current configuration? How much are you looking to spend?

Mozendo

looking to upgrade my PC I bought in March https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0111MU5ZA/?tag=neogaf0e-20 . My brother says all I'll need is a new graphics card and will install. Is this the best to buy? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202226&ignorebbr=1

I appreciate all and any help. Thank you

edit: first time entering PC gaming and everything is confusing me ha

So from the Amazon reviews I've read it comes witha 350w PSU, you're going to want to upgrade that.

Personally this is what i would get.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB GAMING X Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $209.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-25 02:15 EST-0500

Alright guys, I need your help!

My bro is a photographer and is looking to get a new computer to edit his stuff. I told him I would build a PC for him and he agreed. Thing is that he just went to a photography meetup and someone there is trying to tell him that they can build him a mac. I was like, bro, what? I didn't know you could do that. Still, I asked him what kind of magic he thinks a mac is going to add to his photos that wouldn't be there on a PC since they run the exact same software and he couldn't tell me but was still leaning towards having this total stranger build him a mac just because yeah, this guy is a photographer... I tried to tell him that a mac is going to cost like twice as much as a PC that I could build and would be half the power or less.

Thing is I know that he doesn't make much at the moment and I know that the mac ecosystem can be a huge money sink.

So, Gaf, help a brother out by helping me convince my brother that PC is the way to go. Unless I am completely wrong here... I will
un
graciously accept defeat if so.

He has about $400/$500 to play with and no need to worry about a GPU as I am selling him my R9 390 as well. So could you come up with something that I can show him? I figured there would be some great black Friday deals as well. I am gonna try to get him one of the crucial 750GB ssd's that go on sale tonight for $99 but could use some help on the rest since it's such short notice and I haven't done much black Friday research.

i'm a journalist and photographer. i've been a mac user since 2003 or so and still use mac OS for almost everything, but i'm at the point now where i tend to use my gaming PC for lightroom. here's what he needs to know:

a) adobe stuff is identical across platforms but performs best with solid hardware and has a very un-mac-like UI in the first place
b) apple hardware is uncompetitive price-to-performance-wise right now, mostly due to a total lack of interest from apple; the main reasons to use macs are design, stability, and a generally much nicer OS. also apple support, which you wouldn't get with...
c) hackintoshes, which are a bad idea because they tend to run into issues that undermine the simple nature of mac OS and the ecosystem overall

a $500 PC with a 390 would be a much better lightroom machine than any used mac or hackintosh at that price, take it from me.

i'm a journalist and photographer. i've been a mac user since 2003 or so and still use mac OS for almost everything, but i'm at the point now where i tend to use my gaming PC for lightroom. here's what he needs to know:

a) adobe stuff is identical across platforms but performs best with solid hardware and has a very un-mac-like UI in the first place
b) apple hardware is uncompetitive price-to-performance-wise right now, mostly due to a total lack of interest from apple; the main reasons to use macs are design, stability, and a generally much nicer OS. also apple support, which you wouldn't get with...
c) hackintoshes, which are a bad idea because they tend to run into issues that undermine the simple nature of mac OS and the ecosystem overall

a $500 PC with a 390 would be a much better lightroom machine than any used mac or hackintosh at that price, take it from me.

This is what I thought honestly. Plus I know he is going to want to game on it as well. Thank you for this, I will give him this message and see what he thinks.

What's your current configuration? How much are you looking to spend?
i5 4670k
Asus z97-e motherboard
R9 Fury Tri-X gotten for cheap

...2x2GB of DDR3 1600 from my original 2010 build.

It's served me really well on the whole actually! Only games I've had trouble with are Assassin's Creed Unity and more recently and severely, Mirror's Edge Catalyst. I even played several hours of Star Citizen during the free flight period last month with no issues.

I'm looking to spend... $50-ish I guess? I kind of assumed that DDR3 would be dirt cheap by now, seeing as it's obsolete and all. But I just checked and my set still goes for $30!

I'm really not sure if just OCing what I have and adding more will work, but no harm in asking, right? My motherboard uses dual channel, but does have 4 DIMM slots. Probably still not a good idea I'm guessing.

So from the Amazon reviews I've read it comes witha 350w PSU, you're going to want to upgrade that.

Personally this is what i would get.

Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB GAMING X Video Card ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $209.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-25 02:15 EST-0500

Thank you so much friend. Bought it

So guys, i need your advise. I have option to get 4K IPS monitor (LG 27UD68-W), but i'm not sure there is any sense in upgrade for me now. I already have 27" 1080p IPS AOC monitor but my PC can't manage to have stable 60 fps on ultra settings in most recent AAA titles like Deus Ex: MD and COD:IW. My rig is GTX770 4gb, i5-3570k and 8gb RAM. I was thinking about upgrading my GPU, but it probably won't be soon since it's impossible to find deal with any discount on new GPUs in my region. So is it worth it to buy 4K monitor now since i'll be forced to play new titles in 1080p anyway? How is image quality if i'll set 1080p resolution on 4K monitor, is it worth than native 1080p?

So i'm thinking of buying more RAM for video editing, maybe to 16gb from 8. Do i have to consider ppwer issues or anything? Or just pop it in

This is my setup.

MSI P67A-GD65 (B3)
WINDOWS 7 64-bit- operating system
i5 2500K CPU @ 3.3 GHZ (4 CPUS)
GPU : amd radeon HD 6970
8.00 GB RAM

Graphics bus PCI 2.0 x16
Memory size 2048 MB GDDR5
Core Clock: 880 MHz
Memory Clock 1375
Hard Drive: 500GB, 7200 RPM
650W power supply

MadYarpen

GAF, I am currently thinking about buying a PC. I need a new computer and initially I wanted a laptop, but since I've moved in my new apartment, I can buy normal PC and for the same or slighly more money I can have a good machine I guess.

I am targeting full HD, nothing more.
I found a nice PC I think, with RX480 gaming X (MSI). https://www.morele.net/komputer-sky-g3080-polaris-975033/ - only change I think I would surely want is addition of SSD.
Also, I don't want to have to build it myself. I want to buy a ready machine. I know it means I probably will a bit more that if I did it myself, but I can live with that.

So please help me with these questions:
  • is 4 GB of memory enough for GPU if I stick to 1080p?
  • is i5 6400 good enough?
  • can you judge more or less what kind of performance I can expect from such spec?

Vuze

GAF, I am currently thinking about buying a PC. I need a new computer and initially I wanted a laptop, but since I've moved in my new apartment, I can buy normal PC and for the same or slighly more money I can have a good machine I guess.

I am targeting full HD, nothing more.
I found a nice PC I think, with RX480 gaming X (MSI). https://www.morele.net/komputer-sky-g3080-polaris-975033/ - only change I think I would surely want is addition of SSD.
Also, I don't want to have to build it myself. I want to buy a ready machine. I know it means I probably will a bit more that if I did it myself, but I can live with that.

So please help me with these questions:
  • is 4 GB of memory enough for GPU if I stick to 1080p?
  • is i5 6400 good enough?
  • can you judge more or less what kind of performance I can expect from such spec?
More memory is always better especially to take advantage of high quality textures, MSAA, downsampling etc. I odn't know too much about the 480 but I think there is a 8GB version available? I'd get that if the extra isn't too much and it's an option.

The CPU seems fine, latest platform too.

If you haven't already done so, the smartest choice is to check YT for some performance impressions. Have ssen some popular games tested at first glance.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=i5+6400+rx480+benchmark

MadYarpen

More memory is always better especially to take advantage of high quality textures, MSAA, downsampling etc. I odn't know too much about the 480 but I think there is a 8GB version available? I'd get that if the extra isn't too much and it's an option.

The CPU seems fine, latest platform too.

If you haven't already done so, the smartest choice is to check YT for some performance impressions. Have ssen some popular games tested at first glance.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=i5+6400+rx480+benchmark

Thanks. Performance looks good but I see it drops below 60fps in the witcher. I am used to playing in 30fps though, so looks like it will keep me happy for some time.
As for 8GB version - yes there is one. A bit more expensive obviously. But if it is worth it I will consider.

Mupod

Black Friday sales and concerns about the Canadian dollar pushed me over the edge. So I put in most of my order for my new build - decided to get a new PSU since my old one is over 5 years now. Better safe than sorry. And since I've already got everything else I'm getting a new case too - my HAF X still works but this way I can keep my old machine together and use it as a backup, sell it, donate it whatever. Also, the fans on the HAF X are getting noisy and would cost as much to replace as a new case so...

INTEL® CORE™ I7-6700K Processor 8M Cache 4GHZ Base 4.2GHZ Turbo FC-LGA1151 Retail Box Skylake
ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero ATX LGA1151 Z170 Skylake DDR4 CrossFireX/SLI USB3.1 Gaming Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws V 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3000 CL15-16-16-35 1.35V 288PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit - Black
Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower EATX Black Case 3x 5.25EXT 6x 3.5INT 2x USB3.0 No PS
EVGA Supernova 850 P2 80 PLUS Platinum Certified 850W Full Modular Power Supply W/ Eco Mode 10YR Wty
Corsair Hydro Series H115I All In One Liquid CPU Cooler With 280MMRADIATOR and Dual SP140L PWM Fans

Going to keep using my two GTX 970s, so the only thing I'm missing is the SSD. I want to go m.2 this time around and my plan was to go all out with a Samsung 960 Evo. However those aren't out yet, and there's some good sales on less insane m.2 drives like the intel 600p. I understand it's around half the speed of the Samsung drive, but would the 960 even be noticeable for loading windows/gaming etc? Or are those drives only for hardcore video editing and such?

CaLe

Shameless bump for the new page, any help would be appreciated. :)

Finally ready to pull the trigger on my new build.

Anything you guys think I should change ? Note: I have a 980Ti and 850W Power Supply that I'll be re-using, as well as a couple SSDs.

The only thing I'm not sure of is the RAM and case.

Thanks, your feedback is appreciated. It's a lot of money :)

Total: 1,113.89 CAD

QfPcJdE.png

Mupod

Shameless bump for the new page, any help would be appreciated. :)

Looks like we're putting together similar systems (at the same place). The Samsung SSD you have there is going to get blown out of the water when the 960 Evo comes out, as I said in my previous post though the thing seems to be missing in action. The release date was supposed to be October last I checked.

Are you looking at that RAM because it matches the motherboard? I'm not 100% sure what to go with myself but I went with something cheap and good timings. The kit in my post was $100 last night but it looks like it went back up to 150.

Also, I'm an idiot and put in my old credit card expiry date so my order failed. Should be able to keep my prices if I call them and get it sorted though. Just sucks that ncix is on the west coast so they won't be answering phones for 4 hours.

^^Newegg has the 6700k on sale for $300: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&cm_sp=Homepage_BS-_-P3_19-117-559-_-11252016
Amazon too: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B012M8LXQW/?tag=neogaf0e-20
Have you considered waiting until January for Kaby Lake though? Or waiting a little longer for the 960 Pro (there are currently shortages I think) instead of the 950 Pro?

Canadian prices.

I was going to wait, but I'd be shocked if the 7700k comes in at under $550 for us.

CaLe

Looks like we're putting together similar systems (at the same place). The Samsung SSD you have there is going to get blown out of the water when the 960 Evo comes out, as I said in my previous post though the thing seems to be missing in action. The release date was supposed to be October last I checked.

Are you looking at that RAM because it matches the motherboard? I'm not 100% sure what to go with myself but I went with something cheap and good timings. The kit in my post was $100 last night but it looks like it went back up to 150.

Also, I'm an idiot and put in my old credit card expiry date so my order failed. Should be able to keep my prices if I call them and get it sorted though. Just sucks that ncix is on the west coast so they won't be answering phones for 4 hours.

Canadian prices.

I was going to wait, but I'd be shocked if the 7700k comes in at under $550 for us.

Wow, thanks so much for the Newegg tip for the 6700K ! I'll also wait for the Evo then :)

As for the RAM... I just looked at the ones on sale and it seemed to be a good price / good timings. Then again, I'm no RAM expert :)

Would you recommend a different one, considering the one you had is back at 150$ ?

Thanks !

Mupod

Wow, thanks so much for the Newegg tip for the 6700K ! I'll also wait for the Evo then :)

As for the RAM... I just looked at the ones on sale and it seemed to be a good price / good timings. Then again, I'm no RAM expert :)

Would you recommend a different one, considering the one you had is back at 150$ ?

Thanks !

to clarify, the newegg.com link that was posted is in USD...

I just went with the best price for DDR-3000 with CL15 timings. I haven't done exhaustive research on RAM so I don't want to make any definitive statements if someone here knows better.

sn00zer

Wondering if there are any good BF deals on pre-built PCs?

This was the original PC build I was looking at it, but I wouldn't mind spending an extra $100 for someone to do it for me.
All we know is October (this month). No official date yet, honestly it's worth waiting for it. Especially if you're going to be moving big files and doing video work. I have a 950 PRO m.2 and it screams, the 960 is even faster.

Here's a price sheet with the Gigabyte 1070 included.

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($294.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($100.66 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($79.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($414.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($84.88 @ OutletPC)
Case Fan: NZXT Air Flow Series 83.6 CFM 140mm Fan ($7.99 @ Directron)
Case Fan: NZXT Air Flow Series 83.6 CFM 140mm Fan ($7.99 @ Directron)
Other: 960 Evo M.2 SSD 256gb ($129.00)
Total: $1350.72
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-02 12:13 EDT-0400

Ludono

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (Purchased For €241.48)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (Already Owned)
Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (Purchased For €112.04)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (Purchased For €98.96)
GPU: KFA2 GeForce GTX 1070 EXOC SNIPER PCI-E Gaming-Grafikkarte, 8GB GDDR5, schwarz (Purchased For €436.99)
Case: Corsair SPEC-ALPHA ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For €46.53)
Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 750W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply (Already Owned)
Storage: TO BE DETERMINED

Here is what I've cobbled together. Seem like a solid build? Any suggestions? I still need an SSD, I was wanting to go for a 500gb drive since that's a decent amount of storage but decent drives in that range are a bit pricey still. Any recommendations for a good balance of price / performance?

derder

Does anyone know if i could fit two fury x radiators in the front of a nzxt s340 elite case?

I have t seen anyone attempt it.

Mupod

NCIX here in canada will put all your parts together for $50. I dunno if they do it for US orders, but they must have an equivalent right? Only downside is obviously you need to buy everything from them, but they pricematch.

sn00zer

NCIX here in canada will put all your parts together for $50. I dunno if they do it for US orders, but they must have an equivalent right? Only downside is obviously you need to buy everything from them, but they pricematch.

NCIX prices seem quite a bit higher than the dell offer. Also I really like having the warranty and support with the Dell instead of having to troubleshoot everything myself.

http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/prod...iOiJGRzAwMDYiLCJQcmljZSI6MTAwLjB9XX1dfQ%3D%3D

Processor
6th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64bit English

Memory
1 DIMM 16GB, 2133MHz, DDR4

Hard Drive
2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive

Video Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1070 with 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Memory

Wireless
802.11ac + Bluetooth 4.2

Sound
Integrated 7.1 with WAVE MAXXAudio Pro

Final Price: $1,371.99 (After Discounts)

This seem decent?

Is there any X99 motherboards that have 1 or 2 m.2 SSD spots that does not use the same SATA 600 lanes as your regular drives.

If I wanted:

2x m.2 SSD drives

2x 2.5 regular SSD drives

2x 3.5 mechanical hard drives (most likely Western Digital Blacks for backup, editing storage)

- There is a lot of mother boards where if you use the m.2 slots you'll get slower speeds with the regular SATA ports. Whats up with that? When can we bypass that limitation?

KarmaCow

Sorry but I'm completely lost since there are so many variations but is there anything wrong with a Gigabyte GTX 1060 Windforce 6GB? I looked at a few reviews but they are either contradictory (makes a lot of noise and it's super quiet?) or useless. Does this card have a reputation or something, it's the cheapest 1060 I could see by a good bit.

Mupod

dammit I'm paralyzed on my SSD choice. I've got my heart set on the m.2/NVME ones, and the intel 600p seems to be just the right price and decent performance. But there's some REALLY weird results in its benchmarks. One of the reviews says that the benchmarks it does poorly on are all simply just unrealistic scenarios for the things I'd use it for, and that does make sense as a budget product.

I could wait for the Samsung 960s and their bonkers speeds but who knows when those will surface and this is supposed to be my system drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom