• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Mike

So what are the properties that need to match if I want to add more RAM? I do have 4 slots total on my motherboard, which supports up to 32GB. I want to go up to 16GB, and currently I have 2 4GB sticks of DDR3 1600 with CAS latency of 9. So just get another pair with those specs? Is there anything else I'm missing? Although looking at the prices just buying a 16GB set isn't that much more expensive than an 8GB set.

What I have already is plenty for gaming, but I'd like to be able to keep more VM's on for development and testing purposes.

So what are the properties that need to match if I want to add more RAM? I do have 4 slots total on my motherboard, which supports up to 32GB. I want to go up to 16GB, and currently I have 2 4GB sticks of DDR3 1600 with CAS latency of 9. So just get another pair with those specs? Is there anything else I'm missing? Although looking at the prices just buying a 16GB set isn't that much more expensive than an 8GB set.

What I have already is plenty for gaming, but I'd like to be able to keep more VM's on for development and testing purposes.

I'd suggest keeping it to the same brand, and specs if possible (timings, frequency). Match the dram voltage too. If you get faster ram then it will downclock to the speeds/timings of your slower set.

So after switching the motherboard and reinstalling Windows, I somehow even made things worse. :(

Going to get some logs of it right now.

Does it only happen when playing games? Or just when using the OS too?

Can you post a pic of the afterburner graphs from a gameplay segment in which this occurs? Showing as many stats as possible.

If it happens on the OS level boot into ubuntu with a USB stick, see if it goes away.

Parablank

quick question

i have a gtx 760 and im planning on upgrading soon

im also planning to switch to a 34" 1440p monitor (this thing) that can freesync

is freesync a big enough upgrade that its worth switching over to amd for freesync despite a getting a worse card (480), or should i just get an 1070/1080 and forget about freesync

thanks

Joco

So the terrible framerate drops were apparently the result of me not doing a good enough job of seating the CPU cooler on resulting in high temps. After I took it off, reapplied thermal paste, and ran it again I didn't experience any of the extreme framerate issues like in the last video I posted.

So I'm back to where it feels stuttery.

Feel like I need a drink.

Some MSI Afterburner logs if anyone feels like taking a look. The most recent one being the one dated 10-12-16 22:50:31.

Swig_

Are there any good, but decently priced 27" 1440 monitors? I have the Acer G-Sync, but am looking for more to go with it to replace two mismatched 24" I have. Also considering an X34 and just running those two. I just don' want to spend $500+ on two more monitors. They aren't for gaming, but I want a matching resolution.

iamblades

If I have a z170 board when cannon lake CPUs come out, will I be able to use it with a firmware update?

cannonlake is sub 15 W parts, mobile and SoC stuff, not desktop processors, so no.

Coffee lake(which will be the successor to desktop kaby lake chips) is supposed to be on 1151, as far as anyone outside of intel knows, but I don't have any clue whether it will be compatible with Z170, or if any motherboard manufacturers will bother providing firmware updates to what will be at that time ~4 year old parts.

LilJoka

So the terrible framerate drops were apparently the result of me not doing a good enough job of seating the CPU cooler on resulting in high temps. After I took it off, reapplied thermal paste, and ran it again I didn't experience any of the extreme framerate issues like in the last video I posted.

So I'm back to where it feels stuttery.

Feel like I need a drink.

Some MSI Afterburner logs if anyone feels like taking a look. The most recent one being the one dated 10-12-16 22:50:31.

Interesting, the previous MSI AB log showed CPU temps at around 30c. Maybe it didn't read properly.

Edit
I see it's back to the first issue.

We need to figure out if it's the game, does it happen on other games?

Haven't looked at the MSI ab log yet, but make sure you capture CPU frequency also.

Also look at application events in the event viewer.

What is being used to cap the fps to 60? Can we totally disable any vsync such that the fps is unlocked?

ElyrionX

I need a new SSD for games. Which one is a good one to pick up?

EDIT: Also, do most people install games on SSD now? It used to be that SSD was too expensive to install too much stuff on and PC games didn't really benefit much from SSD installations. But TW: Warhammer takes nearly a minute to load whereas an SSD apparently loads it at 10 - 15 secs.

ParityBit

Damn. Amazon has the X34 for 1,199 and the Asus for 1,099. I wish I knew which one to get!

Edit: Granted .... I could wait for the X34P .... but who the hell knows when that will show up.

Are there any good, but decently priced 27" 1440 monitors? I have the Acer G-Sync, but am looking for more to go with it to replace two mismatched 24" I have. Also considering an X34 and just running those two. I just don' want to spend $500+ on two more monitors. They aren't for gaming, but I want a matching resolution.

You could go for a LG UM3495. It's about the equivalent of two 27-inch monitors. You get no bezel, a consistent resolution and the draw of the 3440 x 1440 won't break the bank compared to 4K in how taxing it is on your hardware.

Vipu

Banned
I need a new SSD for games. Which one is a good one to pick up?

EDIT: Also, do most people install games on SSD now? It used to be that SSD was too expensive to install too much stuff on and PC games didn't really benefit much from SSD installations. But TW: Warhammer takes nearly a minute to load whereas an SSD apparently loads it at 10 - 15 secs.

I install all my games and programs on SSD, all games might not have massive difference but if just load time gets lower thats enough for me.
SSDs are cheap now anyway so having 500gb SSD for all games etc is no problem.

ParityBit

So what is the deal with overclocking the X34? The P is announced to have it native. Is the overclocking to 100 Hz bad or something? I do not understand why they are touting that as a feature on the p version.

Tyreny

So I have Asus VG248QE 144hz already as a single monitor used for gaming at high frame rates. I'm looking to add a 2nd monitor that probably would not be used for gaming (unless there is some compelling reason to use 2 monitors for gaming that a 970gtx could support).

Any suggestions as to what would be a good pairing? I'm not sure another Asus VG248QE would be necessary, but I'm not sure if adding a 1440p or 4k monitor as a 2nd screen will cause issues with mismatched resolutions or if I should just go basic and get a quality 1080p 60hz with great picture quality and call it a day. I'd like to get something out of the 2nd monitor that my 144hz doesn't provide but I want it to be seamless and functional first and foremost.

Any suggestions or ideas I haven't considered?

not sure where to ask but can i gift someone the WD2 that i can get for free for buying my GTX 1070?

might just gift it away to someone here.

kuYuri

So what is the deal with overclocking the X34? The P is announced to have it native. Is the overclocking to 100 Hz bad or something? I do not understand why they are touting that as a feature on the p version.

The X34's refresh rate by default Is 75hz but can overclock up to 100hz. The X34P's refresh rate is 100hz, but can overclock up to 120/144hz.

Unkle

Man, CD Keys is bloody great. I was going to hold off until the Steam Winter sale to pick up some of this year's games to go with the PC I'm nearly done building but managed to pick up DOOM for 14 quid, Rise of the Tomb Raider: 20th Anniversary Edition for €23, and MKX (2015, I know) for just over €3.

You can even pre-order RE7 for € 30!

kuYuri

Is that something that should/can be a deal breaker? I have never used a high HZ monitor

That depends on what you value and what kind of games you play. Do you value IQ or framerate? In general, ultrawide 1440P is pretty demanding for certain AAA games set to Ultra settings even compared to 16:9 1440P since you would be pushing way more pixels. So getting high framerates in those types of games will be much more difficult, unless you turn down some settings. Games like AC Unity or Witcher 3 can be demanding for example if you're trying to go for consistent 60+fps on Ultra settings on an Ultrawide monitor. Now if you're playing older games or games like LoL, Dota 2, CS: GO, etc. it's much easier to get high framerates due to the nature of those games and their graphics engine.

ParityBit

That depends on what you value and what kind of games you play. Do you value IQ or framerate? In general, ultrawide 1440P is pretty demanding for certain AAA games set to Ultra settings even compared to 16:9 1440P since you would be pushing way more pixels. So getting high framerates in those types of games will be much more difficult, unless you turn down some settings. Games like AC Unity or Witcher 3 can be demanding for example if you're trying to go for consistent 60+fps on Ultra settings on an Ultrawide monitor. Now if you're playing older games or games like LoL, Dota 2, CS: GO, etc. it's much easier to get high framerates due to the nature of those games and their graphics engine.

What I am really considering is the X34 vs the Asus PG348Q. Although I can get the Asus for 100 bucks cheaper (Amazon) but I think I like the X34 look better (and it has better speakers for when I am not playing games (headset)

But it goes to 100HZ. So if the new one (whenever it comes) goes to 144 Hz .... will that REALLY matter. I guess that is what I am asking. I play all games that I can (based on family/kid/time, etc)

I just would hate to make a dumb decision with 1000 bucks.

mkenyon

Banned
What I am really considering is the X34 vs the Asus PG348Q. Although I can get the Asus for 100 bucks cheaper (Amazon) but I think I like the X34 look better (and it has better speakers for when I am not playing games (headset)

But it goes to 100HZ. So if the new one (whenever it comes) goes to 144 Hz .... will that REALLY matter. I guess that is what I am asking. I play all games that I can (based on family/kid/time, etc)

I just would hate to make a dumb decision with 1000 bucks.
With GSync active, refresh rates over 100Hz are only really helpful in competitive games. 100Hz with GSync is incredibly smooth looking.

This is coming from someone who has been using 120Hz+ monitors since they were first available.

But also, you will need a monster system to push that res with 9ms or better frame times.

I have a 3440x1440 at work, but I still think 2560x1440 is the sweet spot. I don't like fucking with SLI though.

ParityBit

With GSync active, refresh rates over 100Hz are only really helpful in competitive games. 100Hz with GSync is incredibly smooth looking.

This is coming from someone who has been using 120Hz+ monitors since they were first available.

But also, you will need a monster system to push that res with 9ms or better frame times.

I have a 3440x1440 at work, but I still think 2560x1440 is the sweet spot. I don't like fucking with SLI though.

I am so done with SLI. So I think either the Asus or X34 it is. Hrm. I am thinking X34. I want to order asap so I can move on (and into games). Oh and so I get it over with before the wife kills me

mkenyon

Banned
Just be aware that you're essentially trying to push a 4K resolution on a single card then.

G Sync will help, but you're going to struggle to keep that res at high frame rates with high levels of eye candy.

ParityBit

Just be aware that you're essentially trying to push a 4K resolution on a single card then.

G Sync will help, but you're going to struggle to keep that res at high frame rates with high levels of eye candy.

Ok, even with a 1070? I guess I can grow into the monitor too

mkenyon

Banned
About $100 more than a DIY that would give you a better mobo and case.

If you want just a usable PC with no graphics card, you can find cheaper stuff, even something like the NUC.
Ok, even with a 1070? I guess I can grow into the monitor too
Yeah... I'd really suggest you look at some performance reviews. If you enjoy AAA games or some of the more graphics intense stuff, you'll frequently be below 50-60 FPS. I was thinking you were on a Titan or 1080.

I'd also really suggest thinking about a 2560x1440p monitor.

Syncytia

21:9 1440p is like 60% of 4K...?

I run a 980Ti at 3440x1440 usually maxed out settings but I'm also only at 60hz... In BF1 I get like 70-80 fps.

Syncytia

Maybe max, but you'll have lots of drops below that.

I...don't. A few drops here and there but definitely not much at all, I always have the frame rate up when I'm playing and the vast majority of the time I'm above 70.

Edit: Should probably mention my GPU is at 1450mhz.

mkenyon

Banned
I...don't. A few drops here and there but definitely not much at all, I always have the frame rate up when I'm playing and the vast majority of the time I'm above 70.
I don't mean to be a dick, but I know from testing and playing that when playing, you are most definitely not paying attention to frame times even part of the time, let alone a vast majority of the time.

I'm on mobile, but a quick glance around at a few benchmarks say the 1070 gets around 55-70 average (which is still an awful metric). I can't seem to find any frame time testing for 3440x1440p on BF1.

ParityBit

Well my MSI 1070 Gaming Z is running at 1974 MHz right now. I havent tried to OC it at all.

If I can hit around 60 in most games I would be happy, especially with G-sync. I am game for fun, not necessarily the most kills.

Alright. I probably don't have time to build a PC myself, anyone have any suggestions for solid gaming desktops at around the 600-800 range?

EDIT: Must have Wifi

mkenyon

Banned
Well my MSI 1070 Gaming Z is running at 1974 MHz right now. I havent tried to OC it at all.

If I can hit around 60 in most games I would be happy, especially with G-sync. I am game for fun, not necessarily the most kills.
Higher frame rates in the 90-120 zone aren't about being better, it's more about a much more fluid and immersive experience. Oculus/Vive stressed the importance of a higher frame rate, hence the 90Hz displays.

I'd take better FPS over an extra wide screen, but I can see that it is subjective.

If you upgrade to the eventual 1080Ti, I think you'll be in a good spot.

Folks, if you are having lag problems with the ReLive Radeon drivers, uninstall them and reinstall them without installing ReLive when prompted for it. It seems the ReLive software causes hiccups with wifi connections due to network management conflicts of one kind or another, at least on some systems.

Ark

I have an i5 4670k OC @ 4Ghz, 8gb ram and an MSI GTX 970. That combo was serving me perfectly well until I decided to upgrade my main monitor to 1440p. Now I struggle to run most things tbh.

I'm curious as to whether a GTX 1080 will be enough to push games like The Witcher 3, Total War Warhammer, City Skylines, BF1, etc to a stable 60fps. I used to be able to hold 60fps on everything, but I'm finding it to be very difficult or even impossible with my 970.

Sickbean

I have an i5 4670k OC @ 4Ghz, 8gb ram and an MSI GTX 970. That combo was serving me perfectly well until I decided to upgrade my main monitor to 1440p. Now I struggle to run most things tbh.

I'm curious as to whether a GTX 1080 will be enough to push games like The Witcher 3, Total War Warhammer, City Skylines, BF1, etc to a stable 60fps. I used to be able to hold 60fps on everything, but I'm finding it to be very difficult or even impossible with my 970.

I've got a 1070 and that pretty much manages it.

Unkle

Alright, looks like I'm going to spend this week debating whether or not I splurge on a 1080 now or wait for an eventual price drop with the 1080ti.

The 1070 covers your bases nicely for gaming at 1440p. The boost from the 1080, for that resolution specifically, doesn't justify the price difference, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom