• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got everything up and running after an assload of hassle. It's currently updating to Windows 10. So I'm wondering, is it possible that this 2011 Dell PC will work with Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1050 ti without much issue? I'm sorry I'm asking all of this weird and basic questions. I have no idea what I'm doing here :p

kennah

So I got everything up and running after an assload of hassle. It's currently updating to Windows 10. So I'm wondering, is it possible that this 2011 Dell PC will work with Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1050 ti without much issue? I'm sorry I'm asking all of this weird and basic questions. I have no idea what I'm doing here :p
Probably. Depends on a lot more information than "2011". Is there room for the card in the case? Are there enough power connectors for the card? Does their monitor accept the outputs from the card (some old.monitors are only VGA, some new cards are only digital out)

legacyzero

Banned
My wife upgraded my Graphics Card!!! //Dancing//

I know how to remove and replace the cards, but what do I have to do software-wise? Or is it as simple as plug and play and downloading the new drivers?

e90Mark

LilJoka

Guys I will be in Seattle Redmond in February, where can i pick up some sweet deals on PC parts? Looking for an M.2 SSD and a GTX 1070/1080 maybe. Of course i wont have access to online shops =/

Probably. Depends on a lot more information than "2011". Is there room for the card in the case? Are there enough power connectors for the card? Does their monitor accept the outputs from the card (some old.monitors are only VGA, some new cards are only digital out)

Hmmm. Idk. Guess I gotta do some research.

legacyzero

Banned
EETS AALLIIIIIIIVVEE

C0iOLLjUcAABOJm.jpg

kodecraft

PCGAF, Ive got a 600w power supply I'll be trying to power my rig with.

i7 6700k
gtx1060
Asus 7170 gaming motherboard

Am I good with just 600w ?

So I came to my senses as far as getting the 960 evo instead of pro, but I went crazy as far as I am thinking of buying the 1TB $479 version instead of the 512. Save me from my own madness! I did upgrade my old 2600k PC to a 850 evo and 32 GB's of RAM yesterday. That was fun.

gnomed

I have an Asus P7P55D-E LX

And an i5 750 which is an 1156 socket.

I don't have a budget per say I mean I don't want to spend over a grand if it's worth salvaging I'll go that route, it's just right now it's borderline unusable, something is causing it to run very slow and sometimes it hard crashes, I suspect maybe the hard drives going bad but I was able to reformat and install windows 10 so idk.
I have almost the exact same setup, but have a 256GB Samsung Evo 850 and 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint F3, plus a Geforce 570. I don't usually play the latest and greatest, but do not experience any general slowdown. And having Windows 10 run on the SSD, the boot time is about 30 secs, less when I did a fresh install. Currently, I am playing Dragons Dogma running at 1080p with high settings much better than a PS3 naturally. The only time I wish I had a better system is when I'm trying out the latest build for Star Citizen.

My home PC is a lot faster than my work Pc. The work PC has a Sandy Bridge i5, 8Gb of ram with a 500GB Hdd. I am planning to overclock the cpu, upgrade to 16GB ram, and a 1060 next year myself and budgeting about $200-300 thanks to that potato pc build video. Although, you did state you do video editing which does require more processing power and ram. I think getting a newer setup would be better for your situation. Of course, you can always try out the upgrade route and return the parts if not satisfied. Believe me though, upgrading the hard-drive to an SSD will do wonders for you right now.

LegendX48

I got a quick question: If I installed the AMD drivers and such for a Sapphire Nitro RX 480 4gb, would I need to uninstall and re-install if I switch to a Sapphire Nitro RX 480 8gb or can I just plug the card in and be fine?

kennah

Thinking of swapping around my drives.

Would take my Samsung 830 128 and replace it with my current secondary drive, a Kingston v400 240 gig and add a 2tb sshd.

What do you think? I'm reluctant to downgrade from my all ssd setup but am feeling the space crunch since downloading Doom.

I can't just add the third drive, my case literally only has space for 2x 2.5" drives.

CazTGG

I have two questions:

1. I have an old PC that, while it doesn't work properly due to damage from its motherboard, its internal storage drive (not boot drive) works perfectly fine. Is it possible to turn this internal drive into an external and, if so, how?

2. What is the most quiet 4TB or greater 7200 RPM HDD that is currently available? Based on what i've researched, the WD Red or WD Se seems to be the best contender but I admit my research on HGST was limited in terms of resources given how few sites covered their audible output, be it idle or in use.
k
EDIT: One final question: Given the upcoming launch of the Kaby Lake CPU, is it better to wait and see the final benchmarks for the 7700K before buying one or to buy a 6700K now (the PC is for editing videos and playing video games)?

I got a quick question: If I installed the AMD drivers and such for a Sapphire Nitro RX 480 4gb, would I need to uninstall and re-install if I switch to a Sapphire Nitro RX 480 8gb or can I just plug the card in and be fine?

just switch the cards out. it's still an RX 480 so you'll be fine. if it were a different generation of GPU (R9 390/290 for example) then you'd need to download the appropriate drivers.

Scan doing the Sapphire 480+ in 8GB for £210, matching their black friday deal. But can't help but feel remorse for not jumping on the £196 MSI cash back deal.

Valero

Banned
Hey I'm new to PC gaming and I'm having a problem. I just built it and installed Windows but it doesn't seem to detect my graphics card. It's nitro Radeon r9 fury.

gnomed

You shouldn't have an issue with the drivers.
Thinking of swapping around my drives.

Would take my Samsung 830 128 and replace it with my current secondary drive, a Kingston v400 240 gig and add a 2tb sshd.

What do you think? I'm reluctant to downgrade from my all ssd setup but am feeling the space crunch since downloading Doom.

I can't just add the third drive, my case literally only has space for 2x 2.5" drives.
Do it! I'd rather take the extra space. I usually put games that I play often that require better performance and load times on the SSD, mainly competitive games. Some older games still act funny or load too fast, it's a dumb complaint I know.

1. You literally just buy an external enclosure and put the drive in to it.
Yes, just buy an external enclosure.

RedJorg

Neo Member
Hey guys, looking to upgrade some components of comp and could use some basic advice. Specs:

CPU: i5 2500k@ 3.30ghz
RAM: 8 gb DDR3
GPU: GTX 970
Motherboard: ASUStek Computer Inc. Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen 3 (LGA1155)
HD: 1TB
Power Supply: 650w

Right now I have about $700 cad to spend and I was going to focus on RAM and CPU. A few questions:

1. Worth getting 32gb of ram or should I just get 16bg? Worth going from DDR3 to DDR4 and is there any compatibility issues?

2. CPU is where the real money is going to be spent. Just wondering what is considered to be the best options within 500 cad.

Thanks for any help!

Hey guys, looking to upgrade some components of comp and could use some basic advice. Specs:

CPU: i5 2500k@ 3.30ghz
RAM: 8 gb DDR3
GPU: GTX 970
Motherboard: ASUStek Computer Inc. Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen 3 (LGA1155)
HD: 1TB
Power Supply: 650w

Right now I have about $700 cad to spend and I was going to focus on RAM and CPU. A few questions:

1. Worth getting 32gb of ram or should I just get 16bg? Worth going from DDR3 to DDR4 and is there any compatibility issues?

2. CPU is where the real money is going to be spent. Just wondering what is considered to be the best options within 500 cad.

Thanks for any help!

The question of RAM will be determined by your motherboard, which in turn is determined by the CPU, so let's start there. Right now you can get an i7-6700k from the likes of newegg at under 500 CAD. That is an LGA 1151 CPU, and boards for that tends towards being DDR4 compatible, so might as well go with that. You will not however be able to reuse your existing DDR3 RAM in a DDR4 motherboard.

Current specs:
Amd a8-6500 apu gtx 650 430w psu
I think my motherboard can only support amd apus
Any advice on if I can upgrade this pc? Or would it be better to build a new one and use my psu/hard drive/anything i can carry over?
Huge noob here so its difficult for me to even figure out how to word my question haha
Mainly wanting to play overwatch on high settings and high framerate. I play on 1366x780 all low setting right now

Current specs:
Amd a8-6500 apu gtx 650 430w psu
I think my motherboard can only support amd apus
Any advice on if I can upgrade this pc? Or would it be better to build a new one and use my psu/hard drive/anything i can carry over?
Huge noob here so its difficult for me to even figure out how to word my question haha
Mainly wanting to play overwatch on high settings and high framerate. I play on 1366x780 all low setting right now

Depends slightly on your motherboard. It'll certainly only support AMD processors, but the more relevant question is whether or not it can support specific socket types. If the board is FM2+, then you've got some leg room, but if it's only FM2, not much at all. Even then though, that system is ultimately going to be limited. What kind of budget would you be working with?

The mobo is fm2 not fm2+ i believe

Have 400 dollars as my budget

For extra reference then:
What size is the motherboard (and/or the case)? ATX? M-ATX? ITX?
What RAM do you have?
Model of PSU?

Provides some info on what can potentially be recycled - and thus, cost shaved off - for your budget.

Gahh not really sure anyway I can find out that info?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487231&ignorebbr=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130890&ignorebbr=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2MN-0004-00002&ignorebbr=1

These are in my cart right now, total come to 389 which perfectly matches my budget.

If I got this stuff would I need a new copy of windows or anything like that? Thanks for tolerating my lack of knowledge and helping me out guys :)

Gahh not really sure anyway I can find out that info?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487231&ignorebbr=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130890&ignorebbr=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2MN-0004-00002&ignorebbr=1

These are in my cart right now, total come to 389 which perfectly matches my budget.

If I got this stuff would I need a new copy of windows or anything like that? Thanks for tolerating my lack of knowledge and helping me out guys :)

Harddrive - and thus, operating system - should be able to be reused without issues. As for your picks, the CPU is the most basic I would recommend. However I would definitely suggest substituting the 960 for a 1050 Ti. It's cheaper, draws less power, and gets higher performance. Also newer so it'll have greater support from Nvidia going forward. Meanwhile, the motherboard you've picked out only supports DDR4 RAM, which means you would undoubtedly have to buy new sticks instead of keeping what you already have (DDR4 boards do not support DDR3). You could recuperate some cost from selling stuff off though, if need be.

Edit:
Actually:
http://i.imgur.com/Jyf3tne.png

Total of 394, including RAM. Could potentially go for one of the larger 1050 Ti models if you'd prefer - Gigabyte's is 5 dollars more - but that would cover the essentials.

Ok cool! Im really confused tho as to what exactly will happen once I swap everything out and power it on for the first time.

Like will my windows still be there....or will it be blank or something lol

Ok cool! Im really confused tho as to what exactly will happen once I swap everything out and power it on for the first time.

Like will my windows still be there....or will it be blank or something lol

It'll still be there. It might take a bit for it to understand that it's running with new hardware, but ultimately all the information for your operating system is stored to the harddrive. If need be though, keep the Windows key on hand, to re-enter (hoping you have it).

Added a suggested cart to my previous post.

Downloaded speccy and it gives me a serial number for my os, is that the same as a product key?

Thanks so much for your help! its easy to feel lost with this stuff

Downloaded speccy and it gives me a serial number for my os, is that the same as a product key?

Thanks so much for your help! its easy to feel lost with this stuff

...Apparently it might be? If it's 'Serial Number: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX' then yes, that's the key. Write it down somewhere just in case.

And no worries - tis the season.

It is, sweet!

Ok last question if I got the graphics card first and the rest later, would I still see a decent increase in performance or is my cpu just too restricting?

I'd add an NVME drive for your OS drive, it is worth it, even on the low end.

Arctic silver 5 is ancient technology, get gelid GC extreme or thermal grizzly.

Your AIO cooler uses actual liquid, yes, but it's pre-filled, so there's nothing you have to mess with. I think that thermaltake unit is the same asetek cooler that is sold by corsair and NZXT among others, and I think they have better looking versions(though not 360mm), so you may want to look into that.

Thanks for the tips iamblades. I took a look into a few things, namely adding the NVME SSD (linked below in build). I also looked into the CPU coolers you mentioned but lot's of them did not get such rave reviews so I stuck with what I had.

One thing I did change as you'll see is, since I'm not doing liquid cooling I went with the EVGA 1080 Hybrid in SLI, now my main question is....will those fans fit in my case? I'll have to store one fan in the back by removing the one that's there but then not sure where the other goes if I go with the AIO CPU Cooler up top. What do you guys think? I originally wanted 2xEVGA SC 1080 but see great reviews about the hybrid and how cool it stays.

Build Link: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2GrxTH

Parts below:

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 99.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste: Gelid Solutions GC-Extreme 3.5g Thermal Paste
MOBO: Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
NVME SSD: Samsung SM951 128GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Hybrid Gaming Video Card (2-Way SLI)
Case: be quiet! DARK BASE PRO 900 | BLACK ATX Full Tower Case
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 1000W 80+ Platinum

Case Fans: Corsair Air Series AF120 Quiet Edition (2-Pack) 39.9 CFM 120mm Fans

If you look at the PC Partpicker link you'll see I picked up 6 of these case fans, but relating to my question above regarding the case and 2x 1080 Hybrid's where would I even fit them? Anyone with experience?

It is, sweet!

Ok last question if I got the graphics card first and the rest later, would I still see a decent increase in performance or is my cpu just too restricting?

Admittedly, less certain with this particular CPU, but I would imagine some bottlenecking. That said, because your main aim is Overwatch, a not exactly demanding game in itself, the 1050 Ti should be pretty substantial either way - this is supposedly the game with your CPU and the 750 Ti, at around 30-40 FPS.

Thinking about getting a 1060 and saving for an extra week or so for the other stuff

If that's the sort of timescale you're working with and willing to tolerate, I'd say go for it. It would be at least 100 dollars more - though I will say, do not go for the 3GB version - but it would also mean a beefier card for you to play with on GPU intensive games. Paired with even that i3 6100 you'd be able to get above 60 FPS through most parts of The Witcher 3, with nearly everything but hairworks up near max.

RedJorg

Neo Member
The question of RAM will be determined by your motherboard, which in turn is determined by the CPU, so let's start there. Right now you can get an i7-6700k from the likes of newegg at under 500 CAD. That is an LGA 1151 CPU, and boards for that tends towards being DDR4 compatible, so might as well go with that. You will not however be able to reuse your existing DDR3 RAM in a DDR4 motherboard.

Thanks for the response!

So say that I decided to get the i7-6700k. Would I need a new motherboard or would it be compatible with my current one? By your response I'm assuming that my current motherboard is not compatible with DDR4. At this point if everything that I just said is correct the question becomes is it worth upgrading the motherboard in order to get DDR4? And if it is do you have a recommendation? I haven't really looked at motherboards at all.

Thanks for your help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom