• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cebri.one

Quick question, in order to watch the 3D movies in a 3D monitor with Nvidia 3d Vision, is there anyway to do it without having to buy nvidia's overpriced glasses?

Pagusas

Elden Member
Quick question, in order to watch the 3D movies in a 3D monitor with Nvidia 3d Vision, is there anyway to do it without having to buy nvidia's overpriced glasses?

if its Nvidia 3d Vision then no. Though Nvidia cards do support basic 3D on 3D HDTV's. I use it on mine it works wonderfully (though limited in refresh rate).

cebri.one

if its Nvidia 3d Vision then no. Though Nvidia cards do support basic 3D on 3D HDTV's. I use it on mine it works wonderfully (though limited in refresh rate).

and what about not using nvidia software? I mean is a 3D monitor, if i reproduce movies not using nvidia app could it work?

Thanks for the help.

Plum

Quick question, is a reference RX 480 fine for temperatures now? There were apparently many issues near launch regarding temperatures but I'm wondering whether it's fine now. If there isn't I'll be getting one over the 480 because one, I'd rather support AMD than Nvidia and two, benchmarks are about 5% or so higher on the RX 480. Oh, and I'm getting a blower/reference style card because it's a Mini ITX build.

Bloodember

Quick question, is a reference RX 480 fine for temperatures now? There were apparently many issues near launch regarding temperatures but I'm wondering whether it's fine now. If there isn't I'll be getting one over the 480 because one, I'd rather support AMD than Nvidia and two, benchmarks are about 5% or so higher on the RX 480. Oh, and I'm getting a blower/reference style card because it's a Mini ITX build.

I use a reference design RX480 and the temps are fine. I get around 40C when idle and up to 70C when usage is at 100%. I also use a custom fan curve. My card is by XFX.

Right now mine is about 36 while surfing the Net. Playing games it hovers in the 60's. I have the stock Asus

Plum

Right now mine is about 36 while surfing the Net. Playing games it hovers in the 60's. I have the stock Asus

I use a reference design RX480 and the temps are fine. I get around 40C when idle and up to 70C when usage is at 100%. I also use a custom fan curve. My card is by XFX.

Thanks. I'll likely get the XFX one if I get the 480. I just want a card that can do 1080p/60 in most games out there at med-ultra settings.

Would anyone have any comparison-pics between a 21.5" screen and a 23" screen? I want to see if the difference is worth 50€ before I finally buy my second monitor.

It's 1.5 inches bigger, do a google search.

Unbelievable.

Hey now I admit it might not be the most clever post, but excuse me I slept only 4 hours last night :p

I already did the math and even measured it out with a ruler against my current screen so I know what to expect but I would have liked to see a side-by-side comparison for peace of mind and that's not as easy to google as it sounds. The closest I found was that video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTnE9gayDvk

Which makes the difference of 3 inches already out to be pretty minimal unsurprisingly I guess, ah well nevermind :p

I'm buying an NVMe Samsung drive soon as a Christmas present to myself. I know that it's more sensible to buy the 960 evo, but a part of me wants to waste money for the little performance improvement of the 960 pro that I probably won't see. Basically, I wish I had a bigger penis.

rrs

I'm buying an NVMe Samsung drive soon as a Christmas present to myself. I know that it's more sensible to buy the 960 evo, but a part of me wants to waste money for the little performance improvement of the 960 pro that I probably won't see. Basically, I wish I had a bigger penis.
the nvme jump is real(ly awesome), even on a intel 600p with half the read speed lol

Arondight

Got a question if anyone could please answer.

I'm currently on dual monitor setup with display settings on extended and I'm planning to have a third display/tv connected to my PC just to display as single rather than "extend these displays". Is there any way to make it so that the TV can automatically adjust the display settings or do I have to go to settings every time and adjust it every time I switch from using my dual monitors to using the Tv? I kind of wished turning off a single monitor would have automatically adjusted the settings to display only 1/2. Thinking of just sticking a long HDMI cable to the TV.

LilJoka

I'm currently on dual monitor setup with display settings on extended and I'm planning to have a third display/tv connected to my PC just to display as single rather than "extend these displays". Is there any way to make it so that the TV can automatically adjust the display settings or do I have to go to settings every time and adjust it every time I switch from using my dual monitors to using the Tv? I kind of wished turning off a single monitor would have automatically adjusted the settings to display only 1/2. Thinking of just sticking a long HDMI cable to the TV.

I don't think what you want is possible but maybe it's possible to automate with a powershell script.

What does "adjust display settings" mean? I'm not sure what you're after here.

Inmolatus

So I know this is not the usual question you get in this thread, but I dont know where else to ask.

I already have a gaming desktop PC which is my main platform for games. I'm moving to another country next month for over a year but cant take my PC with me, so I was looking for a decent price/quality laptop. The thing is I dont know anything about laptop CPUs, GPUs, etc. so I dont really know what to look for.

I was thinking around a 800€ budget for a laptop than can run decently some non-demanding recent games like Street Fighter V, Overwatch and such.

edit: Would this be decent for those kind of games? Asus R510VX-DM205D i5-6300HQ/8GB/1TB/GTX950M/15.6"

LilJoka

What ITX case? Most do not need blower designs anymore since the TDP has come down so much. And i know you said you want AMD, but i'd highly advise goign with nvidia for the lower TDP - more performance and lower noise/heat, lower case temps lower CPU temp lower cpu fan noise etc. Just isnt worth throwing all that away for politics.

I have a dual fan 290x in the CM Elite 130. It doesn't have temperature issues. I tested my triple fanned 480 in it as well. Very snug fit, but no issues. It really depends on the case. The 130 let's the GPU pull air directly from outside the case through a side vent. The 120mm front intake is enough to push the hot air out the other side and back.

Rbk_3

Has anyone ever replaced the stock fan on the Cool Master 212 Evo? The one mine came with seems awfully loud. Thinking of grabbing a Corsair SP120 High Performance.

LilJoka

Has anyone ever replaced the stock fan on the Cool Master 212 Evo? The one mine came with seems awfully loud. Thinking of grabbing a Corsair SP120 High Performance.

You can put any 120mm fan you like, make sure the fan you buy is a PWM type.
You can also us the BIOS or motherbaord fan software to reduce the fan speed of the existing fan such that is is silent.

FreezeSSC

Hey everyone looking for advice, I built a pc 6 years ago with a first Gen i5 processor. Unfortunately this pc is now very slow, I reformatted and installed Windows 10 and it's still slow so now Im thinking to just scrap it and build a new pc but a friend told me I could probably salvage it by upgrading components.

Current specs are:
First Gen i5 processor
4 gb ddr3 ram
500gb hard drive
Amd 5870 videocard.

My friend suggested I just up the ram get an ssd and new video card and call it a day, do you guys think that would be worthwhile or should I just start from scratch? I don't play as much as I used to but I do edit video and as of now it's very slow to encode edits in premier which is why I thought I should just buy a new Gen processor.

Hey everyone looking for advice, I built a pc 6 years ago with a first Gen i5 processor. Unfortunately this pc is now very slow, I reformatted and installed Windows 10 and it's still slow so now Im thinking to just scrap it and build a new pc but a friend told me I could probably salvage it by upgrading components.

Current specs are:
First Gen i5 processor
4 gb ddr3 ram
500gb hard drive
Amd 5870 videocard.

My friend suggested I just up the ram get an ssd and new video card and call it a day, do you guys think that would be worthwhile or should I just start from scratch? I don't play as much as I used to but I do edit video and as of now it's very slow to encode edits in premier which is why I thought I should just buy a new Gen processor.

What's your motherboard? And budget? You can upgrade:
The CPU with a xeon chip. This should be dirt cheap now but still will give you a huge boost.
More ram.
SSD.
Video card.

FreezeSSC

What's your motherboard? And budget? You can upgrade:
The CPU with a xeon chip. This should be dirt cheap now but still will give you a huge boost.
More ram.
SSD.
Video card.

I have an Asus P7P55D-E LX

And an i5 750 which is an 1156 socket.

I don't have a budget per say I mean I don't want to spend over a grand if it's worth salvaging I'll go that route, it's just right now it's borderline unusable, something is causing it to run very slow and sometimes it hard crashes, I suspect maybe the hard drives going bad but I was able to reformat and install windows 10 so idk.

Arondight

I don't think what you want is possible but maybe it's possible to automate with a powershell script.

Kind of thought so.

What does "adjust display settings" mean? I'm not sure what you're after here.

Basically on my dual monitor set up, I've got the display settings on "extend this display".

What I wanted was that when I connected my TV and turned my two monitors off, the display settings would go from Extend this display settings into only displaying a single desktop view.

It's kind of an annoying thing where if there's just one time I want to use a single monitor, I have to go to the display settings every time and change it and it becomes pretty impractical.

vector824

Sapphire reference user here. Love mine, temps are never an issue and I run all my 1080p games on Ultra. Freesync alone is worth it over the 1060. They fixed the power issue with a patch as well.

watchdog

Got a little bit of money for Christmas and I'm a little indecisive when it comes to picking something to upgrade on my computer.

My current build:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 4GHz
Memory: 16GB RAM
HDD: 1TB SATA drive
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Monitor Model: ASUS VH238
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

What would be most worthwhile to upgrade? I've been holding off on getting a new CPU and mobo for a while, as you can see, so perhaps this would be best to upgrade? What about a SSD?

kennah

I couldn't find my Wireless N Usb (it's super tiny). And I didn't want to buy a new one. SO, instead I got a router at a thrift shop for $2.88, installed DD-WRT, and reconfigured it as a wireless bridge. Feeling powerful :)

Basically on my dual monitor set up, I've got the display settings on "extend this display".

What I wanted was that when I connected my TV and turned my two monitors off, the display settings would go from Extend this display settings into only displaying a single desktop view.

It's kind of an annoying thing where if there's just one time I want to use a single monitor, I have to go to the display settings every time and change it and it becomes pretty impractical.

Ah, I see. Yeah, there's no official 'solution' for your problem, but there are shortcuts built into Windows for extending displays etc., which you can access via Windows + P.

You can also create shortcuts like this:

To extend: %windir%\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /extend
To disable all secondary displays: %windir%\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /internal
Switch to secondary display: %windir%\System32\DisplaySwitch.exe /external

Got a little bit of money for Christmas and I'm a little indecisive when it comes to picking something to upgrade on my computer.

My current build:

Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 4GHz
Memory: 16GB RAM
HDD: 1TB SATA drive
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Monitor Model: ASUS VH238
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)

What would be most worthwhile to upgrade? I've been holding off on getting a new CPU and mobo for a while, as you can see, so perhaps this would be best to upgrade? What about a SSD?
An SSD is a huge upgrade and pretty cheap depending on which one you get. Personally I would get an SSD and try to hold off on upgrading your CPU/MB until the new series drops next year.

Hi GAF, I could really use some help/advice. I need a new PC and I *shudder* went to XoticPC for a custom built one that's shipped to me before watching a few videos of people's builds and realizing I've done this twice before, what's wrong with me?! So I sent a cancellation e-mail and now I'm looking into a custom build.

I somewhat mimic'd what I built on XoticPC so if there's any suggestions please feel free. My budget is pretty high, I'd say $3k is my maximum. I'm really looking to do a high powered build that's future proof, I'm currently on a 4k 60hz monitor.. Below is my build on PC Part Picker. I'm not 100% on the MOBO but I've read good things, same goes for the case. I picked a large full tower because I don't want to do liquid cooling (I've never done it, and it's just not something I want to maintain). I'd prefer a full-tower with tons of space, I also have rather large hands so something that's easy to do good cable management in.

I did have a question regarding the all-in-one CPU cooler I selected, this does not require actual liquid, does it? It's just the radiator that's installed up top? Or should I got with a traditional cpu cooler?

Anyways, build link below:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/f27DQV

Ganondolf

Is there a way to stop the Plextor ssd startup screen on boot so just the asus splash screen comes up then the windows one? (the OS is on the Plextor drive)

LilJoka

Is there a way to stop the Plextor ssd startup screen on boot so just the asus splash screen comes up then the windows one? (the OS is on the Plextor drive)

See if forcing the bios to display the POST screen rather than the logo helps. Option will be in the startup settings area: disable boot logo. You'll lose the Asus logo too, but not a big deal if it's faster.

iamblades

Hi GAF, I could really use some help/advice. I need a new PC and I *shudder* went to XoticPC for a custom built one that's shipped to me before watching a few videos of people's builds and realizing I've done this twice before, what's wrong with me?! So I sent a cancellation e-mail and now I'm looking into a custom build.

I somewhat mimic'd what I built on XoticPC so if there's any suggestions please feel free. My budget is pretty high, I'd say $3k is my maximum. I'm really looking to do a high powered build that's future proof, I'm currently on a 4k 60hz monitor.. Below is my build on PC Part Picker. I'm not 100% on the MOBO but I've read good things, same goes for the case. I picked a large full tower because I don't want to do liquid cooling (I've never done it, and it's just not something I want to maintain). I'd prefer a full-tower with tons of space, I also have rather large hands so something that's easy to do good cable management in.

I did have a question regarding the all-in-one CPU cooler I selected, this does not require actual liquid, does it? It's just the radiator that's installed up top? Or should I got with a traditional cpu cooler?

Anyways, build link below:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/f27DQV

I'd add an NVME drive for your OS drive, it is worth it, even on the low end.

Arctic silver 5 is ancient technology, get gelid GC extreme or thermal grizzly.

Your AIO cooler uses actual liquid, yes, but it's pre-filled, so there's nothing you have to mess with. I think that thermaltake unit is the same asetek cooler that is sold by corsair and NZXT among others, and I think they have better looking versions(though not 360mm), so you may want to look into that.

Okay, so I got my hands on the family Dell. When I boot it up, it says HardDisk failure. I took it apart, and I ripped the HDD out. Only problem is, the new HDD I was going to put in it is from a laptop. Guess I didn't realize they would be different drives. So am I out of luck here?

kennah

Okay, so I got my hands on the family Dell. When I boot it up, it says HardDisk failure. I took it apart, and I ripped the HDD out. Only problem is, the new HDD I was going to put in it is from a laptop. Guess I didn't realize they would be different drives. So am I out of luck here?

Nope. The SATA Connectors should be the same.

Nope. The SATA Connectors should be the same.

Oh wow yeah totally worked! So the laptop HDD apparently has Windows 7 on it, which is really weird. Either way, now I'm trying to get Windows 10 on it. I have access to a separate PC running Windows 10...will that help? Any suggestions?

Any opinions on a Logitech G303, G402, or G502 for gaming with a fingertip grip? The middle click on my G602 is going, and even when it gets replaced under warranty, I haven't been very happy with it for my type of grip, and the thumb buttons are way too sharp. Open to other options, but those particular mice can be had pretty cheap on sale.

Just replying to my own post to say I got the Logitech G303, and this thing is awesome for a fingertip grip. The buttons feel great, it is very light, and gone are all those sharp extra thumb buttons from my G602. I can see now that putting up with that heavy mouse for a year was a mistake, though I'm sure it's fine for people that palm.

Dereck

I just finished building a custom PC.

I'm using this HDD, and whatever reason it's only letting me use and partition 2 TBs of it.

f2Mlc7E.png

chrislowe

Current specs are:
First Gen i5 processor
4 gb ddr3 ram
500gb hard drive
Amd 5870 videocard.

I think I would start from scratch actually.
Since its a first gen i5, your mobo probably wont support new gpus (mine from 3rd gen did not support UEFI bios, which my RX480 needed) so check that up.

Otherwise its probably the lack of ram in your computer making it slow, since its probably using virtual memory on a slow hdd.

Have a 3GB ram, Win10 computer that is slow cause of that.

So getting another 4GB ram might do the trick and a new GPU if your mobo supports it.

But cheapest in the long run since you need to update the other gear soon anyway is to get a new system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom