• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the response!

So say that I decided to get the i7-6700k. Would I need a new motherboard or would it be compatible with my current one? By your response I'm assuming that my current motherboard is not compatible with DDR4. At this point if everything that I just said is correct the question becomes is it worth upgrading the motherboard in order to get DDR4? And if it is do you have a recommendation? I haven't really looked at motherboards at all.

Thanks for your help :)

Need a new motherboard since its not the same socket. LGA 1151 as opposed to LGA 1155. As for the RAM, I'm guessing based on the age of the CPU, at which point DDR3 was more the standard. I might be wrong though. DDR4 has a minimum frequency of 2133 MHz, so if you're below that, it's DDR3.

Admittedly motherboard models are not a specialty of mine, but it's worth noting that Z170 boards are for overclocking purposes, which the i7-6700K is built for as well (hence the K).

Ultimately, if you get a new CPU, you're getting a new motherboard. Even if that CPU isn't the 6700k - which is pretty high end - it'd be better to a board made for DDR4.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Well, today I went ahead and preordered the 1TB Samsung 960 Pro on amazon. Their site shows a release date of Saturday (which is probably just a place holder) but I figured at this point my fastest option for getting one is to get on the list. I can always cancel if some other site gets it in stock first. Now to hope that the wait is short!

Guys, I need help picking a new internal hard drive. CrystalDiskInfo is giving me some caution warnings on my Sector Counts, and it's Boxing Day tomorrow in Canada (though most sales have already started), so I think right now is a good time to grab a new drive. I already have an SSD for the main boot drive so this is mainly for storage, and running some games that I'm too lazy to move to the SSD.

OP recommends the WD20EZRZ, which is a 2TB 5400 RPM drive. My current drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM from 2012. Now according this cringey ass video from Western Digital 5400 RPM drives can be faster than 7200 RPM drives since RPMs isn't the be-all end-all. What's the GAF take on this matter?

HDD prices in Canada are pretty bad, even during Boxing Day, and the WD20EZRZ is currently on Amazon.ca for $86.98 with free shipping. If someone can recommend me some well priced HDDs I'd really appreciate it!

RedJorg

Neo Member
Need a new motherboard since its not the same socket. LGA 1151 as opposed to LGA 1155. As for the RAM, I'm guessing based on the age of the CPU, at which point DDR3 was more the standard. I might be wrong though. DDR4 has a minimum frequency of 2133 MHz, so if you're below that, it's DDR3.

Admittedly motherboard models are not a specialty of mine, but it's worth noting that Z170 boards are for overclocking purposes, which the i7-6700K is built for as well (hence the K).

Ultimately, if you get a new CPU, you're getting a new motherboard. Even if that CPU isn't the 6700k - which is pretty high end - it'd be better to a board made for DDR4.

Wow thanks for all this. Looks like I need to look into a new motherboard as well. Might set the date back a little but that's fine. I assume that if the LGA number is the same then both the motherboard and CPU are compatible? If so I'll focus on that before looking into memory. Thanks for all your help!

Wow thanks for all this. Looks like I need to look into a new motherboard as well. Might set the date back a little but that's fine. I assume that if the LGA number is the same then both the motherboard and CPU are compatible? If so I'll focus on that before looking into memory. Thanks for all your help!

The number is the socket type, so yes. An LGA 1151 CPU is built to fit into an LGA 1151 socket.

gkeller16

Neo Member

RedJorg

Neo Member
Thanks to JonnyDBrit I've really narrowed down my options for my upgrades but wanted another perspective on my choices.
For my motherboard I have two options, obviously I prefer to save money when possible but do you guys think its worth getting the more expensive options of these two:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-z170-e-atx-lga1151-z170-31-122307.htm?promoid=1715
http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-z170-a-atx-lga1151-skylake-c4-111462.htm?promoid=1715

I'm also going to upgrade my RAM and have narrowed it down to two choices:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_1326&item_id=098183
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_1326&item_id=086616

Lastly I've been looking at processors. I was recommended the i7 6700k and I'm still leaning towards that but wanted to know if anyone thought it was worth saving 100$ and going with the i5 6600k instead. Obviously I want the most bang for my buck but is the i7 worth an extra 100$? Thanks for all your help! :)

*edit* current specs if you're curious:

CPU: i5 2500k@ 3.30ghz
RAM: 8 gb DDR3
GPU: GTX 970
Motherboard: ASUStek Computer Inc. Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen 3 (LGA1155)
HD: 1TB
Power Supply: 650w

Going tomorrow to pick up a new card to replace my HD7950,and I am torn between the rx480 and gtx1060. From the research I have done I am leaning toward the 1060, specifically http://www.microcenter.com/product/467997/GeForce_GTX_1060_Overclocked_Dual-Fan_6GB_GDDR5_Video_Card. I will be playing mostly Witcher 3 or Skyrim and will be hooking this up to a 60 inch KS8000. Any reason I should get the rx480 instead? Been out of PC building a while and looking for advice.

get the 1060.

So if this Dell I've been messing with is PCI Express x16 2.0 then I'll have to get an older 2.0 card, right? The newer 3.0 cards won't work, will they?

Oh wow okay. Guess I found wrong info. Okay, so I've checked that and the power supply and both are apparently compatible. What should I check next? And thanks so much for all of the help! This is new territory for me.

gkeller16

Neo Member
Oh wow okay. Guess I found wrong info. Okay, so I've checked that and the power supply and both are apparently compatible. What should I check next? And thanks so much for all of the help! This is new territory for me.

Other than what you have checked,make sure of physical dimensions of the card and look for any obstructions,I had a card I bought one time that blocked a ram slot I had to return. Also check your power supply to make sure you have the right type and number of connectors or you will need a adapter.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I am willing to buy a 4k monitor during boxing day today, but I just want to be sure.. .how well does a GTX 970 support 4k gaming? Am I going to see a big downgrade in performance for going from from 1080p to 4k? Will I have to reduce details from Ultra/High to High/Medium (depending on the game) to keep the same framerates?

I am willing to buy a 4k monitor during boxing day today, but I just want to be sure.. .how well does a GTX 970 support 4k gaming? Am I going to see a big downgrade in performance for going from from 1080p to 4k? Will I have to reduce details from Ultra/High to High/Medium (depending on the game) to keep the same framerates?

Not just High/Medium if you're talking like, 60 FPS. The 970 is more a card for 4k@30 FPS, maybe 40 or more depending on the age of the game.

Jeff6851

Got an RX 480 yesterday and I'm having some trouble installing the driver for it. I've used the disc it came with, auto update and manual update on Device manager but I get the error

Configuration Registry Database is corrupt

I used DDU to get rid of all Nvidia things from my last card so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Bisnic

Not just High/Medium if you're talking like, 60 FPS. The 970 is more a card for 4k@30 FPS, maybe 40 or more depending on the age of the game.

Hm... would a 2560 x 1440 monitor be better value then? I really don't want to get a new video card lol.

Enzo_Ferrari

Neo Member
Hi everyone,

I'm just after some advice. I'm looking to upgrade either my gpu or monitor. I've currently got a 970 and an i5 4690k with a cheap 1080p 60hz monitor.

I'm looking at either getting a 1070 ($650 AUD) or a 1440p 144hz 27" monitor ($750 AUD). Or I'm wondering if I should just get a 24" 1080p 144hz monitor with gsync ($500 AUD) and just wait until the 1100 series.

I play most kinds of games from smaller indie games to racing sims to the newest AAA games.

Jeff6851

Hi everyone,

I'm just after some advice. I'm looking to upgrade either my gpu or monitor. I've currently got a 970 and an i5 4690k with a cheap 1080p 60hz monitor.

I'm looking at either getting a 1070 ($650 AUD) or a 1440p 144hz 27" monitor ($750 AUD). Or I'm wondering if I should just get a 24" 1080p 144hz monitor with gsync ($500 AUD) and just wait until the 1100 series.

I play most kinds of games from smaller indie games to racing sims to the newest AAA games.

1070 would be overkill on that monitor. You could get the 1440p monitor though you won't get 1440p @ 144 Hz with a 970 but you will be able to upgrade your graphics card in the future and get the full power of that monitor.

Enzo_Ferrari

Neo Member
1070 would be overkill on that monitor. You could get the 1440p monitor though you won't get 1440p @ 144 Hz with a 970 but you will be able to upgrade your graphics card in the future and get the full power of that monitor.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. I'll be future proofing myself with a 1440p monitor rather than getting another 1080p monitor. Plus it'll come in handy for doing work on.

Bisnic

Probably. You'd still have to lower some settings, but 60 FPS would be much more doable at 1440p with the card you have.

What would be the biggest upgrade for me?

Going from a 1080p 60 hz 22" monitor to 1080p 144 hz 24" monitor... or 1440p 60 hz 31.5" monitor?

31.5" seems a bit overkill considering my standard desk, but this is the lowest price Best Buy has for a 1440p monitor. I'm not sure how worth it is going from 60hz to 144hz.

mcw

I bought an Asus 1060 card to replace my 760. Forza Horizon 3 runs so well, man! But now it takes a lot longer to boot my PC. Any ideas what might have happened?

fester

Banned
Thanks to JonnyDBrit I've really narrowed down my options for my upgrades but wanted another perspective on my choices.
For my motherboard I have two options, obviously I prefer to save money when possible but do you guys think its worth getting the more expensive options of these two:

http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-z170-e-atx-lga1151-z170-31-122307.htm?promoid=1715
http://www.ncix.com/detail/asus-z170-a-atx-lga1151-skylake-c4-111462.htm?promoid=1715

I'm also going to upgrade my RAM and have narrowed it down to two choices:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_1326&item_id=098183
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_1326&item_id=086616

Lastly I've been looking at processors. I was recommended the i7 6700k and I'm still leaning towards that but wanted to know if anyone thought it was worth saving 100$ and going with the i5 6600k instead. Obviously I want the most bang for my buck but is the i7 worth an extra 100$? Thanks for all your help! :)

*edit* current specs if you're curious:

CPU: i5 2500k@ 3.30ghz
RAM: 8 gb DDR3
GPU: GTX 970
Motherboard: ASUStek Computer Inc. Maximus IV Gene-Z/Gen 3 (LGA1155)
HD: 1TB
Power Supply: 650w

I'm in a very similar situation - I have the exact same current specs and trying to decide between i5 6600k, i7 6700k, or waiting for Kaby. Leaning toward the 6700k as the best "future-proof" option right now, especially since 7600/7700 look so underwhelming.

I have a 675W PSU and I'm thinking about finally overclocking my 3570k but I'm worried about my wattage. I have a 675W PSU and these are my specs

4gb rx 470
16gb RAM
i5-3570k

I'm probably gonna try for 4-4.2 on my 3570. Should my PSU be able to handle this well?

FreezeSSC

Can anyone comment on what the expected lifetime is for 1151 socket? Last time I upgraded they obsoleted my socket the next refresh after leaving me pretty stuck in terms of upgrading. If I get the 1151 socket is it expected that kabylake and cannonlake will support it?

iamblades

Can anyone comment on what the expected lifetime is for 1151 socket? Last time I upgraded they obsoleted my socket the next refresh after leaving me pretty stuck in terms of upgrading. If I get the 1151 socket is it expected that kabylake and cannonlake will support it?

Kaby lake uses 1151, we've already seen parts for that.

Cannonlake is mobile/soc stuff, less than 15W parts so far, according to the leaked roadmaps.

Coffee Lake is TBD, it's not known yet if it will use a new socket or not. There will be 6 core mainstream parts finally, so that may point towards a new socket as well.

CPU upgrades are so incremental at this point though, I don't see that it really makes much difference.

Guys, I need help picking a new internal hard drive. CrystalDiskInfo is giving me some caution warnings on my Sector Counts, and it's Boxing Day tomorrow in Canada (though most sales have already started), so I think right now is a good time to grab a new drive. I already have an SSD for the main boot drive so this is mainly for storage, and running some games that I'm too lazy to move to the SSD.

OP recommends the WD20EZRZ, which is a 2TB 5400 RPM drive. My current drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM from 2012. Now according this cringey ass video from Western Digital 5400 RPM drives can be faster than 7200 RPM drives since RPMs isn't the be-all end-all. What's the GAF take on this matter?

HDD prices in Canada are pretty bad, even during Boxing Day, and the WD20EZRZ is currently on Amazon.ca for $86.98 with free shipping. If someone can recommend me some well priced HDDs I'd really appreciate it!
Sorry to bump my post so soon but time is of the essence on Boxing Day and sometimes older posts can get lost in the shuffle here. Anybody have any input?

rrs

I'm in a very similar situation - I have the exact same current specs and trying to decide between i5 6600k, i7 6700k, or waiting for Kaby. Leaning toward the 6700k as the best "future-proof" option right now, especially since 7600/7700 look so underwhelming.
I got a 6700K when it was cheap around thanksgiving, shame it won't be going down again due to 7700K looking like a dud
Sorry to bump my post so soon but time is of the essence on Boxing Day and sometimes older posts can get lost in the shuffle here. Anybody have any input?
5.4K is fine for media, but games would get benefits from 7.2K. As for the video, yes but no is the best answer to that.

Palmer27

First time builder questions:
I've fitted an i5 6600k into an msi b150m pro vdh motherboard only to realise the K series doesn't come with a cooler. I'd be interested in overclocking, is this possible with my motherboard and what kind of cooler should I buy? My case is the ATX mid tower z9 neo - my main concern is having a quiet and somewhat power efficient machine?

Cheers!

BigEmil

So i got this PC under my bed for 2 years because i couldn't build it myself and gave up and it was meant for my cousin (the one i use for myself currently is a prebuilt one from about 2 years ago also.)

Now that i have some free time this week time to finally fix this thing.. i remember posting this before in this thread and they said this which i noted and saved in my notepad:

"Your front panel connections at the bottom of the motherboard didn't get connected. That is where the power button connects to."

"Make sure all your jumpers are correct and you have the molex and cpu connectors inserted properly. Also, you should boot the first time without a graphics card as that just makes diagnosis more complicated if there's a problem."

Here is more 2016 January's images i posted before that they commented on: http://imgur.com/gallery/NLkwH

Didn't know what they meant im clueless on this thing i have set everything up and tried booting it but it didn't, i checked again and i see these two cables left, here's the whole PC innards today:
L6R6in9.jpg

Pics from bottom to top of the case

ITlsS9G.jpg

vSgCsHq.jpg

XeOV0m3.jpg

YhZlrQc.jpg

GTX 750Ti
8GB GDDr3 RAM
CX500M Modular
ATX Power Supply
Intel i5 4950k
Motherboard - GA-Z97P-D3

Cycloptis

Hi everyone,

I've got the following machine from 2011:

CPU: i7-2600k (not OC'd) + Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler
RAM: 8GB DDR3-1600
GPU: MSI Geforce 570GTX
SSD: Crucial M4 128GB
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 (750W)

Initially I thought I wanted to target 1440p but I think instead what I'll do is target 1080p now and in 2-3 years go for 4K. I figured I don't game as much as I used to plus the price/performance for 4K parts will be better by then.

My plan at the moment is the following upgrades:

1. Crucial MX300 750GB SSD
  2. Overclock the i7-2600k
  3. 16GB DDR3-2400 (I believe this is the fastest that is supported by my CPU)
  4. Geforce 1060GTX 6GB

Does this sound reasonable?

rrs

First time builder questions:
I've fitted an i5 6600k into an msi b150m pro vdh motherboard only to realise the K series doesn't come with a cooler. I'd be interested in overclocking, is this possible with my motherboard and what kind of cooler should I buy? My case is the ATX mid tower z9 neo - my main concern is having a quiet and somewhat power efficient machine?

Cheers!
maybe you can set the turbo clocks to the max for 1-4 core usage, but that's about it really. You could still try undervolting the CPU and see if works fine just being idle to get decreased wattage and cooling benefit. As for coolers, the 212 Evo is a common cheap one that gets the job done, although I dunno about the noise on it. You could get a more expensive passive noctra, etc if a pure quiet build is what you are aiming for.
So i got this PC under my bed for 2 years because i couldn't build it myself and gave up and it was meant for my cousin (the one i use for myself currently is a prebuilt one from about 2 years ago also.)
does that 8 pin connector have CPU on it somewhere? You need to plug that in into this port here as your CPU had no power to it, and thus no boot
ODEdAST.jpg

As for the other cords, those are just for case LEDs and aren't needed

BigEmil

does that 8 pin connector have CPU on it somewhere? You need to plug that in into this port here as your CPU had no power to it, and thus no boot
ODEdAST.jpg

As for the other cords, those are just for case LEDs and aren't needed
Edit: Oh i see that connector does have CPU written on it! Thank you will try this on and would be nice to have case LEDs doesn't my motherboard have a slot for these? :(

What would be the biggest upgrade for me?

Going from a 1080p 60 hz 22" monitor to 1080p 144 hz 24" monitor... or 1440p 60 hz 31.5" monitor?

31.5" seems a bit overkill considering my standard desk, but this is the lowest price Best Buy has for a 1440p monitor. I'm not sure how worth it is going from 60hz to 144hz.

I have a 6600K and a GTX 1070. I just bought a 1080p 144Hz monitor thinking I might want to try higher frame-rates. Turns out that the games I play at the setting I play at, getting much above 60fps locked just isn't going to happen. I wish I had got a 1440p panel instead.

Bloodember

Got an RX 480 yesterday and I'm having some trouble installing the driver for it. I've used the disc it came with, auto update and manual update on Device manager but I get the error

Configuration Registry Database is corrupt

I used DDU to get rid of all Nvidia things from my last card so I'm not sure what the problem is.

Uninstall all the video card drivers and then install the drivers from AMD's website. The ones that come on the disk are normally out of date.

rrs

Edit: Oh i see that connector does have CPU written on it! Thank you will try this on and would be nice to have case LEDs doesn't my motherboard have a slot for these? :(
also, it doesn't seem like you connected, like, any of the front headers at all. read page 14 of the manual and at least hook up the power switch
Sorry but what do you mean by one side is seated? Cheers
need to push in it all the way
dxt7DXN.png

Crossposting from B/S/T:

Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 RAM

4x4GB 2133 MHz CAS11

$85 shipped.

0eZWZca.jpg

I'm cleaning out some random parts. Will post the rest of it later tonight.

Asus Strix 980: $200
Noctua NH-U12s: $30
Corsair AX860i: $100
Corsair Vengeance LP 2x4GB DDR3 1600 CAS9: $30

Joco

I have a 6600K and a GTX 1070. I just bought a 1080p 144Hz monitor thinking I might want to try higher frame-rates. Turns out that the games I play at the setting I play at, getting much above 60fps locked just isn't going to happen. I wish I had got a 1440p panel instead.

Which games do you play that you were hoping for 144 or above?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom