• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

Someone talk me out of upgrading my GTX970. I'm currently playing Hitman, Witcher 3, GTAV. Current specs: i5 4690k @ stock 3.5Ghz, 8GB RAM PC connected to 4k TV. Right now, older games work great at 4k but anything recent I'm playing at 1080p Ultra, maybe a little super sampling. An added wrinkle is that my TV won't do 1440p at anything above 30FPS. I'm getting the itch to upgrade despite there being no real clear advantage to the money I'd have to spend. Ultimately, I'd really like to play at 4k with at least 40+fps. If I sell the 970 + $100 that puts me in 1060 territory, but that's not really worthwhile. I could shell out ~$200 for a 1070 but even while that gets me closer to my goal I'd probably be better off waiting longer for something affordable that can do 4k60Hz. I can't afford spending $500-700 on a 1080 or 1080ti when it releases. I should just stick with the 970 for a while more, right? I suppose I could overclock the 970 but it's already an EVGA SC edition so not sure how much more I could squeeze out of it.

Do not bother, just overclock the GTX 970. Itll hit GTX 980 performance which will beat the 1060. And flash a custom bios to squeeze some more out of it. I run 1550Mhz Core and 3850Mhz memory clocks.

The OC editions are not even worth calling overclocked.

And flash a custom bios to squeeze some more out of it. I run 1550Mhz Core and 3850Mhz memory clocks.

You've got my attention. I did a quick google search and came up with this Is that what I should be using? Essentially this is just a way flash the 970 to 980 clocks, yes? Is this safe? Do I need to look into custom cooling?

RootCause

Blue circle or does the arrow remain?
Sorry for the late reply. The arrow remains. I can move it, and do the drag selection. I noticed it doesn't highlight the item/app when I move the cursor on top of it. A reset, or turning it on/off fixes it. But it's definetly not normal behavior. Thanks for taking the time to help.

enewtabie

Sorry for the late reply. The arrow remains. I can move it, and do the drag selection. I noticed it doesn't highlight the item/app when I move the cursor on top of it. A reset, or turning it on/off fixes it. But it's definetly not normal behavior. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Video driver updated?
If you have an extra mouse laying around try that and see if it eliminates the issue. If it does check your usb connections/software

Chabbles

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/comparison/list.aspx?ck=3&pids=6084,6088

Clock speeds. One Google search and thirty seconds of looking at the Gigabyte site would have given you the answer.

To everyone who posts here: please do at least a minute of research before posting questions like this. It's lazy and it makes the thread worse.

Thanks, and ok i get the point.

Edit, on the off chance that someone here has used both cards, is there a noticeable difference ?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

LilJoka

You've got my attention. I did a quick google search and came up with this Is that what I should be using? Essentially this is just a way flash the 970 to 980 clocks, yes? Is this safe? Do I need to look into custom cooling?

Correct thats the thread to use. You do not need custom cooling, unless you have a blower type card. I run the MSI GAMING GTX 970 with the stock fan curve in an ITX case.

Theres various things that can be done with the custom bios:
- Lock in max 3d clocks (similar to factory OC) without effecting the idle downclocking.
- Remove the power limit (100% in MSI Afterburner can report as 60% for example to prevent throttling ;))
- Increase the power the card can request
- Increase internal clocks such as the cache
- Tweak the voltage table per clock bin to get optimum stability and votlage:clock speed scaling
- Allow Voltage up to 1.30v, from iirc 1.21v max

Before jumping on to a custom bios:
- Dump and backup your Bios with GPUz.
- Use MSI Afterburner to judge the card with the overclock sliders. The memory can be overclocked without any bios mods. So you can atleast test its peak performance.
- Throw the Power Limit to 110%
- Max out the voltage in MSI Afterburner
- Play with the core frequency in MSI Afterburner

The next step is to run a custom bios for your card model specifically, or dump your bios and manually make the changes from the first post in that thread.
- You want to increase the peak voltage the card can run at.
- You want to remove the power limit

Then start playing with MSI Afterburner again, see if you can now hit a higher clock speed.
- I found Witcher 3 cutscenes to be very stressful - it was the only game that caused artifacts till i turned down my memory OC. Unigene Heave/Valley is also good to start with.
- When testing use a high fan speed to prevent any thermal throttling/heat induced instability.

Now once you dial in a good Core/Memory Clock and Voltage:Heat setup, then you can either allow MSI Afterburner to apply the OC on startup or play with the custom bios yourself to lock in the clock speeds for high load scenarios (gaming - idle downclocking still works a designed).

Lastly there are 2 internal clock speeds that you can increase to squeeze some more performance. In the Maxwell Bios Tweaker tool, you can set the L2C Max (cache) and XBAR Max (interconnect freq) fred's to match your peak Core freq.

There is a fair bit of reading to do in that thread, at least the first post, but feel free to request a start point (power limit removed and voltage unclocked) bios for your card in that thread.

If you want to know approximately how much you can gain, i score 14175 GPU Score in 3D Mark Firestrike benchmark at 1600/4000Mhz. Thats more than a 980. My daily is 1550/3850Mhz 1.23v. Default is 1140MHz, Boost 1279MHz, 3500Mhz Memory, 1.18v.

Thanks, and ok i get the point.

Edit, on the off chance that someone here has used both cards, is there a noticeable difference ?

Both cards should get close to 2000Mhz core speed after throwing the sliders to max in MSI Afterburner. All Pascal cards are running close to their limtis already.

Any opinions on a Logitech G303, G402, or G502 for gaming with a fingertip grip? The middle click on my G602 is going, and even when it gets replaced under warranty, I haven't been very happy with it for my type of grip, and the thumb buttons are way too sharp. Open to other options, but those particular mice can be had pretty cheap on sale.

LilJoka

Any opinions on a Logitech G303, G402, or G502 for gaming with a fingertip grip? The middle click on my G602 is going, and even when it gets replaced under warranty, I haven't been very happy with it for my type of grip, and the thumb buttons are way too sharp. Open to other options, but those particular mice can be had pretty cheap on sale.

What is the length and width of your hand?

reposting as I need for XMAS!!

Looking to buy my wife an all in one PC for xmas. The kind built in to the monitor. Any recommendations from a Best Buy? Mostly web surfing, with the occasional game

rrs

As for 970's, mine runs 1440/stock ram, at stock voltages. However, I drop to about 13xx on full load due to card fans being dead and only being cooled by a case fan a few inches away. I should really rip all that stuff off and juryrig some fans for the card.
reposting as I need for XMAS!!

Looking to buy my wife an all in one PC for xmas. The kind built in to the monitor. Any recommendations from a Best Buy? Mostly web surfing, with the occasional game
what kind of games, like 2D puzzle or web fare, or like LoL, etc.? From what I see on best buy's website, I'd lean more towards a laptop + wireless kb/m setup, as there are lots of underpowered devices for the prices at hand.

LowParry

Anyone with a Razer Deathadder Elite mouse know if there's a way to remove the on screen display when you switch between DPI toggle on the mouse?

Instro

Did you run an Nvidia card before this? I had the same problems a few years ago going from a 560Ti to a 7970. Have you DDU'd before installing the new RX480?

If not the case, maybe dial back the clocks to a stock RX480? Maybe the Gigabyte is factory OC'd?

No it's amd to amd, I ran ddu and all of that already though. Reading online it seems like this was a problem with the card at one point, but newer vbios fixed the issue. Having said that I'm pretty sure I have the most recent. Adjusting fan profiles seems to help, the base wattman settings causes it to crash almost instantly, but even then it seems to crash with temps in the low to mid 60s which doesnt seem right at all. There's some mentions of undervolting fixing the issue, which might be my next test.

Circling back to this, it seems like dropping the clock and max voltage slightly did the trick. Seems a bit much to deal with on a new card though, considering their factory values are not working for this. Probably just go through with the RMA anyway.

masterkajo

Christmas is around the corner and I am planning to do some upgrading after I hopefully get some Christmas bonuses.

My current rig:
CPU: i5-2500k
RAM: 8GB
GPU: gtx 680
Power Supply: Corsair CX 430
Monitor: LG Budget 1080p Monitor

I am planning to get a 4k OLED display and a completely new rig in the future (some day when it is affordable)

In the meantime I am thinking of upgrading to a rx 480 and a new freesync monitor. My. questions now are:

- which rx 480 to get? Is there a preferred one that es runs cooler, has a bit more power etc?
- should I go 1440p?
- should I go 144Hz or stay at 60Hz?
- which of the two above should I prioritise?
- any good monitor recommendations that fit this?
- or should I stay and save the money for a 4k display in the not to distant future?

Christmas is around the corner and I am planning to do some upgrading after I hopefully get some Christmas bonuses.

My current rig:

I am planning to get a 4k OLED display and a completely new rig in the future (some day when it is affordable)

In the meantime I am thinking of upgrading to a rx 480 and a new freesync monitor. My. questions now are:

- which rx 480 to get? Is there a preferred one that es runs cooler, has a bit more power etc?
- should I go 1440p?
- or should I stay and save the money for a 4k display in the not to distant future?

The RX480 is not a card for high fidelity 1440p60fps gaming, it is a 1080p card, and high refresh rate is mostly out of the question if you want to keep relatively high settings in games. I think for now, save more money and do a complete rebuild is the better call as your current CPU is lagging behind, and if you want to rebuild in the future for 4K, the RX480 is not fitted for that.

My current rig:

- should I go 1440p?

1440p on RX 480 will not be a smooth 60fps, but if you are like me and don't mind 45-60fps, it will work. Especially if you have/buy a Freesync monitor, then it will be super fine.

I think 144MHz is mostly a gimmick, I only notice it in twitch shooters and I don't play them competitively so a 60hz panel with great fidelity (color reproduction, viewing angles, uniformity, brightness, contrast etc.) is more important to me than a fast gaming panel. You should decide for yourself.

masterkajo

The RX480 is not a card for high fidelity 1440p60fps gaming, it is a 1080p card, and high refresh rate is mostly out of the question if you want to keep relatively high settings in games. I think for now, save more money and do a complete rebuild is the better call as your current CPU is lagging behind, and if you want to rebuild in the future for 4K, the RX480 is not fitted for that.

The thing is, I want to completely rebuild for a while but my PC just keeps on delivering and playing the games at reasonable framerates. The i5-2500k was one of the best purchases I ever made. I had a Sapphire HD 7850 in it for a while (great budget value card) until a friend gave me his gtx 680. When I say I want to upgrade to a 4k OLED, Realistically speaking, this won't happen for quite a while. 2 to 3 years maybe until such displays are affordable and great value?

I know that the 480 won't perform 1440p at full 60fps but there is no better AMD card at the moment AFAIK. I don't want to buy a monitor that costs extra with g-sync when I plan to buy a 4k in 2 to 3 years time.

With freesync it shouldn't matter as much if the rx 480 can't keep a constant 60, at least that is how I understand the freesync Technologie.

In 2 to 3 years I can rebuild everything and get a 4k OLED display and be at the spear of PC gaming again. I just don't see that my trusty PC can carry me there without at least some updates.

Are there any new AMD cards on the horizon to keep waiting for? Or should I just keep my 1080 21" monitor and get a rx 480 for 1080p gaming. Or maybe get a 1080p 144Hz monitor with freesync (if such a thing exists)?

1440p on RX 480 will not be a smooth 60fps, but if you are like me and don't mind 45-60fps, it will work. Especially if you have/buy a Freesync monitor, then it will be super fine.

I think 144MHz is mostly a gimmick, I only notice it in twitch shooters and I don't play them competitively so a 60hz panel with great fidelity (color reproduction, viewing angles, uniformity, brightness, contrast etc.) is more important to me than a fast gaming panel. You should decide for yourself.

So maybe a rx 480 and a 1440p 60Hz freesync with IPS panel? What brand should I look at. Or any great guides out there that help me narrow down choices?

kennah

Sweet, thanks!

Hoping for a decent deal on Dark Souls III and maybe Hitman, but realistically, given the fact that I've just gotten this PC, I'm going to go a little nuts.

Welcome :) I spent $225 the first year of Christmas Steam Sales

Still haven't played a third of the games.

BADMAN

So my EVGA 970 just died today. Luckily I have my old GPU sitting around to keep me gaming for the time being. Also I am within the 3 year warranty for a replacement but it got me thinking: If I'm getting a new card from EVGA then why not upgrade and sell the replacement? I could get a new one delivered in less time than it would take to get the old one replaced and I could upgrade at the same time.

But the question is what should I get? I haven't really payed attention to video cards since the last generation and from what I can tell 1060s are the new 970s in terms of performance relative to generation. I can afford to go up to 1080 but I'm always hesitant to spend that much on a video card when the next generation could crush it a half the price.

I would like my next card to hit 120fps@1080p on ultra for the next few years if possible. I also would like to know if I should go back to EVGA as I am a bit hesitant after my current card dying in less than 2 years.

What do you all think?

LilJoka

So my EVGA 970 just died today. Luckily I have my old GPU sitting around to keep me gaming for the time being. Also I am within the 3 year warranty for a replacement but it got me thinking: If I'm getting a new card from EVGA then why not upgrade and sell the replacement? I could get a new one delivered in less time than it would take to get the old one replaced and I could upgrade at the same time.

But the question is what should I get? I haven't really payed attention to video cards since the last generation and from what I can tell 1060s are the new 970s in terms of performance relative to generation. I can afford to go up to 1080 but I'm always hesitant to spend that much on a video card when the next generation could crush it a half the price.

I would like my next card to hit 120fps@1080p on ultra for the next few years if possible. I also would like to know if I should go back to EVGA as I am a bit hesitant after my current card dying in less than 2 years.

What do you all think?

I wouldnt be buying an EVGA GTX card after the recent VRM overheating scandal.
Go for MSI or Asus GTX cards.

I think the 1060 would be somewhat of a sidegrade, the 1070 and 1080 would be an upgrade. I think the 1070 is more of the card that will do 1080p60 ultra in 2 years time. And the 1080 would be the one getting that 120fps in 2 years time and High-Ultra at 1080p.

I found the thread!

Okay, I have a quick question. Hopefully someone will be nice enough to help me out :3

I've recently gotten my hands on a free, but moderately busted Dell PC from like 2012 or 2013. I'm not sure how old it is. So this PC turns on and starts to run, but it won't boot up Windows. I think there's malware on it. My uneducated guess is that this is simply a hard drive issue. If I replace the hard drive, do you think it would solve the issues?
I know it's probably hard to tell without having the error message. I haven't picked it up from my parents' house yet. But any help would be much appreciated.

My goal is to slowly replace parts until it can run Vive stuff.

LilJoka

I found the thread!

Okay, I have a quick question. Hopefully someone will be nice enough to help me out :3

I've recently gotten my hands on a free, but moderately busted Dell PC from like 2012 or 2013. I'm not sure how old it is. So this PC turns on and starts to run, but it won't boot up Windows. I think there's malware on it. My uneducated guess is that this is simply a hard drive issue. If I replace the hard drive, do you think it would solve the issues?
I know it's probably hard to tell without having the error message. I haven't picked it up from my parents' house yet. But any help would be much appreciated.

My goal is to slowly replace parts until it can run Vive stuff.

You can try simply reinstalling Windows. If the HDD is detedcted in the BIOS then its probably still alive.

You can try simply reinstalling Windows. If the HDD is detedcted in the BIOS then its probably still alive.

How would I go about reinstalling? Would I need to buy Windows, or is there a way to pull Windows off the HDD? You can probably tell I have little experience in this department. I've only ever owned Macs :/

Mupod

How would I go about reinstalling? Would I need to buy Windows, or is there a way to pull Windows off the HDD? You can probably tell I have little experience in this department. I've only ever owned Macs :/

A Dell prebuilt from that time period will probably have a sticker on it with a key for Windows 7 or 8 which you can use to reinstall. It might have come with a recovery disk, if not you can find an ISO somewhere and create a bootable USB or DVD (not hard). It may also have a recovery partition you can boot into on startup to do this, I think this goes over that process: http://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cabsdt1/SLN147555

If it already had Windows 10 it's even easier. No keys required, just go here and follow the directions for the media creation tool.

As to whether upgrading it to be Vive ready is a good idea or even possible, you'd need to find out the CPU, motherboard, and power supply (I'm assuming the video card will be crap). That'll be easy once you have it, though.

edit: if it's Windows 7, Microsoft has a site to enter a key and receive an ISO download that you can use to burn a DVD or create a USB. I have little experience with Windows 8 but it might have similar activation rules to 10?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows8

Unkle

Quick question as it's the only lingering issue (I think) with this new build.

(Also, massive thanks to everyone who's answered my questions the past couple of months).

Mostly in Chrome, but sometimes in general, the system slightly freezes, (Windows 10) goes completely black for like a second, and then comes back to normal. It's not the monitor, and there's no error message that pops up, it's just a momentary hiccup that I can't seem to figure out. It happened more frequently when I was on YouTube but I've since disabled GPU acceleration in Chrome and it's helped for the most part. I've also made sure the DisplayPort isn't loose, and have tried to run WhoCrashed but nothing's coming up there.

Anyone had something similar?

Mupod

Quick question as it's the only lingering issue (I think) with this new build.

(Also, massive thanks to everyone who's answered my questions the past couple of months).

Mostly in Chrome, but sometimes in general, the system slightly freezes, (Windows 10) goes completely black for like a second, and then comes back to normal. It's not the monitor, and there's no error message that pops up, it's just a momentary hiccup that I can't seem to figure out. It happened more frequently when I was on YouTube but I've since disabled GPU acceleration in Chrome and it's helped for the most part. I've also made sure the DisplayPort isn't loose, and have tried to run WhoCrashed but nothing's coming up there.

Anyone had something similar?

have you tried doing a clean driver install? Nvidia in particular recently had some driver issues that were causing problems with Youtube playback in Chrome.

A Dell prebuilt from that time period will probably have a sticker on it with a key for Windows 7 or 8 which you can use to reinstall. It might have come with a recovery disk, if not you can find an ISO somewhere and create a bootable USB or DVD (not hard). It may also have a recovery partition you can boot into on startup to do this, I think this goes over that process: http://www.dell.com/support/article/ca/en/cabsdt1/SLN147555

If it already had Windows 10 it's even easier. No keys required, just go here and follow the directions for the media creation tool.

As to whether upgrading it to be Vive ready is a good idea or even possible, you'd need to find out the CPU, motherboard, and power supply (I'm assuming the video card will be crap). That'll be easy once you have it, though.

edit: if it's Windows 7, Microsoft has a site to enter a key and receive an ISO download that you can use to burn a DVD or create a USB. I have little experience with Windows 8 but it might have similar activation rules to 10?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows8

Thatnks for this! I'm sure I'll report back once I have my hands on it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
If you can't find the key, you can actually install Windows without entering one. Nothing happens beyond a nag-watermark and being unable to customize the look of Windows.

Rizific

earlier in the year i sent my nephew my old ass build and he finally got around to putting it together

e8500 c2d
4gb ddr 2
amd 5850

i told him it was more of a ps3/360-era rig. and im feeling kinda bad now because he traded in his ps4+games to buy windows, a case, and monitor to finish the build i gave him and hes trying to play current games (overwatch) but performance is severely lacking. so im going to send him my previous build (2500k, 8gb ddr3, 7950) to bring him into the current gen of games. i know the 7950 will be at least on par with ps4/x1 games, but my question is is there a cost effective option to upgrade that 7950? what card is out there that would be a nice step up from the 7950 without breaking the bank?

edit: looks like the 1050 ti is exactly what im looking for. BUT is it worth the $140ish in performance over the 7950?

IceIpor

The thing is, I want to completely rebuild for a while but my PC just keeps on delivering and playing the games at reasonable framerates. The i5-2500k was one of the best purchases I ever made. I had a Sapphire HD 7850 in it for a while (great budget value card) until a friend gave me his gtx 680. When I say I want to upgrade to a 4k OLED, Realistically speaking, this won't happen for quite a while. 2 to 3 years maybe until such displays are affordable and great value?

I know that the 480 won't perform 1440p at full 60fps but there is no better AMD card at the moment AFAIK. I don't want to buy a monitor that costs extra with g-sync when I plan to buy a 4k in 2 to 3 years time.

With freesync it shouldn't matter as much if the rx 480 can't keep a constant 60, at least that is how I understand the freesync Technologie.

In 2 to 3 years I can rebuild everything and get a 4k OLED display and be at the spear of PC gaming again. I just don't see that my trusty PC can carry me there without at least some updates.

Are there any new AMD cards on the horizon to keep waiting for? Or should I just keep my 1080 21" monitor and get a rx 480 for 1080p gaming. Or maybe get a 1080p 144Hz monitor with freesync (if such a thing exists)?

So maybe a rx 480 and a 1440p 60Hz freesync with IPS panel? What brand should I look at. Or any great guides out there that help me narrow down choices?

If you're intent on buying a rx480, the recommended choice is XFX GTR and MSI (I forget their brand name).

An RX480 is mid tierish, but it's also priced accordingly so I can't seeing it being a bad purchase unless you plan on upgrading again in the next 6 months.

For your monitor problem, I would wait for HDR ones to be affordable but if you can't wait I think 1440p is better than 4k at the moment in conjunction with your video card purchase if it's 27" or under. This is coming from someone who has a 4k monitor but is annoyed with some of the quirks.

Guffers

I'm currently still using my 2013 build which is a 4670k @ 4.4 and a mildly overclocked 780. I'm still using a 1080 monitor but have started to feel like this system is getting a little long in the tooth. The 3 gig of VRAM on the 780 in particular.

What are people's opinions on an upgrade? Should I keep the CPU and buy whatever new high end card releases next year? Or is it pointless until I go 4K? I don't think I can quite afford a new monitor and a new card in one go but would be happy spacing out the purchases over 6-12 months.

Should I buy a 1080ti (if that's what's coming) and enjoy some sweet downsampling for awhile? I know that the 780 will be next to useless for 4K gaming unless I turn settings WAY down.

I'm currently still using my 2013 build which is a 4670k @ 4.4 and a mildly overclocked 780. I'm still using a 1080 monitor but have started to feel like this system is getting a little long in the tooth. The 3 gig of VRAM on the 780 in particular.

What are people's opinions on an upgrade? Should I keep the CPU and buy whatever new high end card releases next year? Or is it pointless until I go 4K? I don't think I can quite afford a new monitor and a new card in one go but would be happy spacing out the purchases over 6-12 months.

Should I buy a 1080ti (if that's what's coming) and enjoy some sweet downsampling for awhile? I know that the 780 will be next to useless for 4K gaming unless I turn settings WAY down.

Keep your CPU, buy whatever GPU you want/can afford. I'd look at a 1070 personally, depending on your needs (you mention 4k, but what about 1440p?).

Manatox

I'm in need of a monitor recommendation. My monitor decided to break just a week after i bought a gtx1070, because of this, i have no cash for the truly good ones and the warranty run out half a year ago to replace it ><

The monitor will be used for multimedia purposes, both for gaming and watching movies etc.

-My preference is that is has a very good color reproduction, followed by low latency.

-No bigger then 23-24".

-Preferably IPS display.

-Max 250$ (even this is pushing it above the limit)

- Some degree of an upgrade from my now broken ASUS MX239H (currently 171$ at amazon).

If i can't find anything fitting that is better then my current one, i'm thinking if i should buy the same monitor again. At least i was rather happy with this one.

Really appreciate your help.

---------

And a last question, but a bit offtopic:

My broken monitors problem is, that about 1/3 of the screen suddenly lost colors and started flickering and it doesn't go away. I'm thinking of opening the back and see if i can see anyting standing out that might cause this and try to fix it (nothing to lose either way). Any ideas where possible to look?

Thank you for the help.

NJDEN

I'm in need of a monitor recommendation. My monitor decided to break just a week after i bought a gtx1070, because of this, i have no cash for the truly good ones and the warranty run out half a year ago to replace it ><

http://www.costco.com/Acer-XF240H-24"-Full-HD-Monitor-with-AMD-FreeSync.product.100316061.html

This is on sale and meets some of your requirements. It is a TN panel though... Amazon just had the ASUS VG248QE on sale a few days ago, but it's gone now.

jonno394

Do not bother, just overclock the GTX 970. Itll hit GTX 980 performance which will beat the 1060. And flash a custom bios to squeeze some more out of it. I run 1550Mhz Core and 3850Mhz memory clocks.

You really don't like the 1060 :D but you're correct in the fact a jump to 1060 is not much of an upgrade. I usually look at jumping teo to three tiers on the Tom's hardware gpu hierarchy chart.

It's doing me very well and the 980 does not best my gigabyte 1060 :shrug:

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member

You have a +300mhz clock boost on your 970? How are you doing that? I can't get past 120hz without seeing red dot artifacts? That's over 3 times the overclock mine has. Plus driver crashes since nvidia doesn't play nice with overclocks anymore.

LilJoka

You have a +300mhz clock boost on your 970? How are you doing that? I can't get past 120hz without seeing red dot artifacts? That's over 3 times the overclock mine has. Plus driver crashes since nvidia doesn't play nice with overclocks anymore.

Silicon lottery plus custom bios gives me more voltage.

You really don't like the 1060 :D but you're correct in the fact a jump to 1060 is not much of an upgrade. I usually look at jumping teo to three tiers on the Tom's hardware gpu hierarchy chart.

It's doing me very well and the 980 does not best my gigabyte 1060 :shrug:

It should be fairly close depending on factory overclocks. The big advantage with the 1060 is lower heat/tdp/noise. Still a good card but IMO not a great upgrade path for the money.

I see most GTX 970s hit 1450mhz core with a custom bios which should put it at around 5-10% slower. The other thing is that pascal doesn't overclock well, the cards run quite close to the silicons capability.

Amagon

Sweet Christmas! After sending a cancelation notice for the EVO 960 to Samsung, I just received an email stating it shipped using FedEx and should be coming in on Tuesday!

Unkle

have you tried doing a clean driver install? Nvidia in particular recently had some driver issues that were causing problems with Youtube playback in Chrome.

As an update to this:

Did a clean install of GeForce Experience, it didn't stop it, but did actually show up a LibreOffice error once the screen came back, (there was no error showing up before) so went ahead and uninstalled that. Hasn't happened since, so fingers crossed I'm in the clear!

Godan

So i have a EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ I got about 18 months ago. Not really OC'd it much or anything but was thinking of doing it soon.

Is it possible to buy EVGA Hybrid NVIDIA GTX GTX 980Ti Cooler for it so i can do this. It seems like any place that has it on their site do not sell it anymore.

LilJoka

So i have a EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti ACX 2.0+ I got about 18 months ago. Not really OC'd it much or anything but was thinking of doing it soon.

Is it possible to buy EVGA Hybrid NVIDIA GTX GTX 980Ti Cooler for it so i can do this. It seems like any place that has it on their site do not sell it anymore.

You dont need new cooling to overclock it.

LilJoka

Won't the temps go crazy high and the fans on it be loud?

I mean the little bit i have done so far it was sitting at 80 degress and at about 70% fan usage.

That seems much higher than i would expect.
What load pushed it to 80*C?

What are your stock clock speeds?
What were the overclocked speeds? (dont give an offset please)

If the temps are getting over 70-75C then it will get loud, even 70c onwards is loud for me.
Ideally the temps sit between 60-69c load for asome peace and quiet.

If the card is old maybe take it apart and clean it out.

Buying a new cooler for a GPU is not something that is common at all - in all my years of building ive not done it, but seen some DIY jobs, seems a bit excessive and a not worth the money for the performance gains atleast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom