• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecto311

Any difference in the 1050ti cards that are half size? Microcenter website is showing the EVGA short one is slightly better than the fullsize MSI 1050ti.

Also is this a decent upgrade from the gtx460 1gb? Google comparisons show that it is in some respects but others not so much. Not a hard core gamer but I am noticing the 460 is lacking now. 2500k and 8gb ram if that makes any difference. No overclock on card or cpu.

Erebus

Any difference in the 1050ti cards that are half size? Microcenter website is showing the EVGA short one is slightly better than the fullsize MSI 1050ti.

Also is this a decent upgrade from the gtx460 1gb? Google comparisons show that it is in some respects but others not so much. Not a hard core gamer but I am noticing the 460 is lacking now. 2500k and 8gb ram if that makes any difference. No overclock on card or cpu.
Can't you go with the 1060 instead? Even the 3GB version is much faster than the 1050 Ti.

Celcius

°Temp. member
So do we expect the 1080ti to be launched alongside the CES announcement or sometime after? I can't wait to go back to a single card setup, even if technically a 1080ti is more of a sidegrade (upgrade for some games, possibly a slight downgrade for others) from my SLI 980ti setup.

I'm expecting a paper launch at CES and retail availability late January.

so i was just playing some Rocket League when out of nowhere i got a BSOD. the code was something like IRQL not less or equal. anyway i decided to run a Prime95 test and my cpu's overclocked didn't last 10 minutes. i got a code that was Clock Watchdog time out. it's an i7-6700K at 4.5GHz with 1.335V. i upped the voltage to 1.34V and it lasted 10 minutes.

i thought at first it might be my GPU drivers (nvidia 376.48 / gtx 1070). can CPU overclocks become less stable over time? i originally had it a 1.35V but tried to see how low I could get it. at 1.33V it was unstable and it has lasted me at 1.335V for a few months now.

so i was just playing some Rocket League when out of nowhere i got a BSOD. the code was something like IRQL not less or equal. anyway i decided to run a Prime95 test and my cpu's overclocked didn't last 10 minutes. i got a code that was Clock Watchdog time out. it's an i7-6700K at 4.5GHz with 1.335V. i upped the voltage to 1.34V and it lasted 10 minutes.

i thought at first it might be my GPU drivers (nvidia 376.48 / gtx 1070). can CPU overclocks become less stable over time? i originally had it a 1.35V but tried to see how low I could get it. at 1.33V it was unstable and it has lasted me at 1.335V for a few months now.

How long do you typically run Prime95 when stress testing? 10 minutes isn't going to tell you much except that you aren't way outside the ballpark of what is possible.

And technically an overclock can become unstable over time due to electromigration but that takes some real time.

maped

Neo Member
Did it and the weird white jaggies still appear. I think it is a problem with the aliasing but how how would I fix that? I don't wanna RMA my GPU just yet.

You could also try to re-seat the gpu, it might've shifted a little when you installed the memory or just moved the computer. Also maybe try it in another pcie-slot if possible.

How long do you typically run Prime95 when stress testing? 10 minutes isn't going to tell you much except that you aren't way outside the ballpark of what is possible.

when i set my overclock to 1.335V i ran Prime 95 for 20 minutes, did 30 minutes of Aida 64, and ran x264 for half an hour. it has ran just fine for the last few months playing all sorts of games like rocket league, GTA V, overwatch, the division, watch dogs 2. at 1.35V it lasted an hour in both Prime95/Aida64 before i stopped it. this back in june when i built the PC.

Ecto311

Can't you go with the 1060 instead? Even the 3GB version is much faster than the 1050 Ti.

A comparable priced 1060 has 1gb less than the 1050ti but more memory bus and clock speed. I take it the gb isn't that big of a deal?. Still just looking for a decent upgrade to my existing 460gtx nothing that much higher than $150. Most 1060s are showing over $200 on microcenter right now. Not locked to that store it just compares easily and I live near one.

when i set my overclock to 1.335V i ran Prime 95 for 20 minutes, did 30 minutes of Aida 64, and ran x264 for half an hour. it has ran just fine for the last few months playing all sorts of games like rocket league, GTA V, overwatch, the division, watch dogs 2. at 1.35V it lasted an hour in both Prime95/Aida64 before i stopped it. this back in june when i built the PC.

Hmmm.., I used to run it for like 12 hours to feel satisfied and actually had crashes in like the 8-9th hour but I think a lot of people have moved away from those long stress test sessions now.

Plum

I'm deciding between these two 500gb SSDs: the Samsung 850 Evo and the Crucial MX300. The one I choose will be used for Windows, regular programs and a few games I play often. However the Samsung's £30 more and has 25 less gb so I'm wondering whether the benefits of that outweigh those two negatives.

Erebus

A comparable priced 1060 has 1gb less than the 1050ti but more memory bus and clock speed. I take it the gb isn't that big of a deal?. Still just looking for a decent upgrade to my existing 460gtx nothing that much higher than $150. Most 1060s are showing over $200 on microcenter right now. Not locked to that store it just compares easily and I live near one.
The 1GB less RAM isn't big deal because the GPU in 1060 is much faster. I mean I don't know what kind of games you're playing but if you want a real step-up from your GTX 460, I believe the GTX 1060 3GB is ideal for your budget. If you don't mind going with team red, the RX470 is a good slightly cheaper (?) alternative.

I'm in the market for a 1 TB or larger SSD. Speed of the drive isn't super important as I'm more concerned with finding one that is 1) reliable and 2) as inexpensive as possible without sacrificing a huge amount of reliability.

Is there any specific model or brand I should watch for sales given these criteria? Maybe a Mushkin Reactor?

I thought about what my next upgrade is. I want to watercool my GPU.

Thought about buying this:

large

and attaching a Corsair AIO CPU cooler to it.

Is this a good or bad idea? I've never done this.
Seems like a big waste of money to me. What are the specs of your current system?

Bloodember

I thought about what my next upgrade is. I want to watercool my GPU.

Thought about buying this:

large

and attaching a Corsair AIO CPU cooler to it.

Is this a good or bad idea? I've never done this.

I used the NZXT one like this with a NZXT X41 on a Radeon R9 290X, which I was having cooling issues. It did fix my cooling problems, but my motherboard (Asrock Fatil1ty Z170i Gaming ITX/AC) didn't like having 2 AIO's installed and wouldn't allow the one on my GPU to start some times. So I pulled it. Not sure if it's worth it though if you aren't having any issues.

Vipu

Banned
So my buddy is building himself a new PC and giving me parts of his old one (I probably won't get to build one again until 2018). The parts he's giving me are; i7 920, EVGA x58 SLI mobo, and a 750 watt psu. I wasn't looking to spend too much and don't mind buying a used card. I'm looking to play games at 1080p/60fps with almost everything maxed out. I was thinking of getting more/faster RAM and it's the GPU I can't really decide on. I hope a 920 won't bottleneck a new GPU too much but we are going to overclock it to at least 3.4ghz.

My current build is a AMD Phenom II at 3.4ghz with 6 gigs of ram and SLI 470's.

Get gtx1060 or r480 and you are ready to game with that until you will upgrade the whole pc to something else.

Vipu

Banned
I used the NZXT one like this with a NZXT X41 on a Radeon R9 290X, which I was having cooling issues. It did fix my cooling problems, but my motherboard (Asrock Fatil1ty Z170i Gaming ITX/AC) didn't like having 2 AIO's installed and wouldn't allow the one on my GPU to start some times. So I pulled it. Not sure if it's worth it though if you aren't having any issues.

In that case I would just watercool GPU and have air for cpu.

naib

So, I'm an idiot.

Was using an air cooler and my CPU was hitting 100c in some apps. RB6:S, CivVI, etc. OW was around 60c or so.

So I bought a corsair closed water cooler for about $50. Went about removing the air cooler and noticed I hadn't removed the plastic film from the heatsink block... I remember thinking it was sliding more that I'd like before I bolted it down but now I feel super dumb. I saw the film when I first started, just completely forgot about it once I got to bolting it on after applying the paste. Lighting wasn't great either. There were also a few beers involved. :D

Anyway. Put the Corsair liquid cooler on anyway and RB6S and Civ don't go over 48c. Been running prime95 for about 15-20 mins and the highest it's gotten at 100% load is 73c.

Whew. Glad I didn't fry the thing. Lesson learned.

Don't plan on opening the box again until I get some kind of cooling solution for the GPU. Stupid founder's edition. Just couldn't wait, could you.

M3z_

Cross posting in case anyone is interested.

New Crucial MX 300 1TB m.2 SSD $220 shipping included

IMG_0061.jpg

I bought this on amazon for $260 but then realized I needed a PCIe M.2 for my new latop not a sata drive. Drive works perfectly plugged it into my desktop to make sure, initialized no problem.

Bleepey

I was wondering my pc is a little slow. Not unusable slow but it is not running spic and span like it did out of the box. What could be causing this? My back fan of my case doesn't spin, the idle temp of my i5 4670 is around 72 C with a stock cooler and rendering takes too long. What could be the cause?

I was wondering my pc is a little slow. Not unusable slow but it is not running spic and span like it did out of the box. What could be causing this? My back fan of my case doesn't spin, the idle temp of my i5 4670 is around 72 C with a stock cooler and rendering takes too long. What could be the cause?

When was the last time you cleaned the cooler and heatsink? Probably clogged with dust.

I'm deciding between these two 500gb SSDs: the Samsung 850 Evo and the Crucial MX300. The one I choose will be used for Windows, regular programs and a few games I play often. However the Samsung's £30 more and has 25 less gb so I'm wondering whether the benefits of that outweigh those two negatives.
Samsung is one of the few manufacturers that do 3D TLC well (along with Sandisk, some Toshiba/OCZ drives), by having faster speed and superior cache solution than their competitors. Crucial, Plextor and Intel's new consumer 3D TLC drives are very disappointing in speed.

Plum

Samsung is one of the few manufacturers that do 3D TLC well (along with Sandisk, some Toshiba/OCZ drives), by having faster speed and superior cache solution than their competitors. Crucial, Plextor and Intel's new consumer 3D TLC drives are very disappointing in speed.

Whilst I don't understand what you're saying I think I'll go with the Intel; my two SSDs from them haven't failed me yet and it's only £30 more expensive. Thanks!

Hey guys,

Need some advice on my NAS setup. I have a Synology 1513+ and I love using Plex on it, but lately it started chocking on some big films and it cannot play H.265/HEVC

Should I build a mini PC next to it to handle the Plex server? leaving the storage on the synology?

If that's the best solution, what would be the cheapest and most reliable built I should go for

Thanks a lot in advance

MrFlooD

Hey guys,

Need some advice on my NAS setup. I have a Synology 1513+ and I love using Plex on it, but lately it started chocking on some big films and it cannot play H.265/HEVC

Should I build a mini PC next to it to handle the Plex server? leaving the storage on the synology?

If that's the best solution, what would be the cheapest and most reliable built I should go for

Thanks a lot in advance

What players are you using? I would recommend investing in a few players that don't need to transcode. Likely a much cheaper solution.

If building a new media server, I would recommend keeping the media on the same box. Otherwise you will be doubling your network requirements to play a file. (ignore this if you plan on connecting the synology via USB)

What players are you using? I would recommend investing in a few players that don't need to transcode. Likely a much cheaper solution.

If building a new media server, I would recommend keeping the media on the same box. Otherwise you will be doubling your network requirements to play a file. (ignore this if you plan on connecting the synology via USB)

forgive my ignorance, but what are "players"? I only have Plex server

LilJoka

Exactly which version of prime95 and which stress test option was used?

What is the load vcore in CPUz? What you set is not so relevant. How are the temps under prime95?

The OC won't become less stable generally over time, the only thing to consider is if it was ever bulletproof stable - in most cases the answer is no.

Is the Ram over 2133mhz? Have you checked the VCCIO and VCCSA voltages?

Lazy option is to just up the vcore a notch.

forgive my ignorance, but what are "players"? I only have Plex server

Means the clients playing media, like a mobile phone video app, xbmc, vlc etc.
Things like VLC don't need vide to be transcoded since it'll play anything. Whereas on a mobile you would transcode and reduce the bit rate so it can be streamed.

If you want a h.265 decode box you can build it with a cheap skylake build or an Intel NUC and run plex on it. These only do 8bit hardware decode, not 10bit.

The only 10bit decoders are integrated ARM based boards that run android and GPUs like GTX 960 (I think).

Deathknell

New year, same question:

I7 7700k, z270 motherboard and 1080ti in january-march

or wait for cannonlake i7 (maybe 6+ cores) and volta in 2018?

Bleepey

When was the last time you cleaned the cooler and heatsink? Probably clogged with dust.

I think it's to do with ram. I used open hardware monitor and the cpu and GPU increased in temperature but the ram not so much. The ram was previously sufficient (8gb) what do you lot think I could do to improve ram usage?

LilJoka

I think it's to do with ram. I used open hardware monitor and the cpu and GPU increased in temperature but the ram not so much. The ram was previously sufficient (8gb) what do you lot think I could do to improve ram usage?

You have 72c idle CPU temp - that is your problem. The CPU is overheating so you need to inspect your CPU cooling first. A normal idle temp is around 10c above ambient temp.
When the CPU overhears it'll downclock crippling performance.

If the rear fan is not working then you have no exhaust flow which will cause the case temp to rise over time until it's incredibly hot in the case and all components will suffer.

Husker86

Just got the Asus PG279Q

HOLY BALLS, G-Sync is real!! Also love the 144Hz. I've come from a 30" Dell 2560x1600 and don't mind the size reduction, the difference is stark, butter smooth.

I ordered this and am getting it Tuesday. Still a bit surprised I spent that much on a monitor, but I'm pretty excited.

Bleepey

You have 72c idle CPU temp - that is your problem. The CPU is overheating so you need to inspect your CPU cooling first. A normal idle temp is around 10c above ambient temp.
When the CPU overhears it'll downclock crippling performance.

If the rear fan is not working then you have no exhaust flow which will cause the case temp to rise over time until it's incredibly hot in the case and all components will suffer.

What cooler would you recommend? I was using stock cooler before and one of the connectors is broken so maybe that's why. I think I damaged it when changing motherboard. Using open hardware monitor I got this:

https://gyazo.com/62fcd0fa567fb935cce562775acfe955

https://gyazo.com/eb380c194c44effcc54f3fbf59262d91

These temps were recorded streaming video.

LilJoka

What cooler would you recommend? I was using stock cooler before and one of the connectors is broken so maybe that's why. I think I damaged it when changing motherboard. Using open hardware monitor I got this:

https://gyazo.com/62fcd0fa567fb935cce562775acfe955

https://gyazo.com/eb380c194c44effcc54f3fbf59262d91

These temps were recorded streaming video.

You should stop using the PC since your temps are hitting 100c which is very dangerous.
Get a new cooler like a Cryorig H7.

E

Means the clients playing media, like a mobile phone video app, xbmc, vlc etc.
Things like VLC don't need vide to be transcoded since it'll play anything. Whereas on a mobile you would transcode and reduce the bit rate so it can be streamed.

If you want a h.265 decode box you can build it with a cheap skylake build or an Intel NUC and run plex on it. These only do 8bit hardware decode, not 10bit.

The only 10bit decoders are integrated ARM based boards that run android and GPUs like GTX 960 (I think).

I use plex on almost everything (Smart TVs, PS4s, Laptops, mobiles, iPads), and I have it in a big house with so many people using it. It runs very smoothly but cannot run H.265 files at all on any player.

Now I wish I can say I understood the bolded part, but I think the best way is to build and I would like to know how much roughly should I budget for it

Plum

I'm still deliberating on storage for my computer. I've decided that I'm going to put relatively little in-built storage on the computer as it will only be used for programs and games, with a WD Book/Passport being used for photos, movies, music, etc (since I can move it easily between my desktop and laptop).

Now, this means I have a decision to make. I can either get a 250gb Samsung Pro Evo SSD and a 1TB Crucial MX300 SSD (installing Windows 10 on the former) or simply a single 1TB Samsung Pro Evo.
Option 1:
- Probably about 200gb more storage
- Windows on a seperate drive to all my main stuff spreads out risks

Option 2:
- Faster performanc for stuff I would have installed on the Crucial
- Simpler installation
- £40 more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom