• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterkajo

I just went 1440/144/g-sync and it's worth the hype (Dell S2716DG)

Will upgrade when I can get a 4K/120+/g-sync (hopefully IPS) panel
How much am I looking at for a 1440p 144Hz g-sync Monitor at the moment? I found some up to 800€+ with IPS. I found a TN panel for about 550€ (Acer Predator 27"). Are these reasonable prices?

How long do you guys recond it would take for 4k 144Hz g-sync to reach reasonable prices? What about HDR? Is it worth the wait? Or should I upgrade now and buy again in a couple of years?

LilJoka

identical per clock speed, 7700K runs hotter and OCs better? Could get a 6600K now, or wait to see if the 7700K is water cooled silicon lottery for everyone. Also consider ryzen might be the real deal, if you are getting a new mobo, etc. but cheap SKUs might not be out for months

CPUs are not dropping in price since nothing is changing.
4790k - £350
6700k - £350

Don't wait for prices to budge.

LilJoka

So I'm making a new pc not for gaming, but a free nas/plex server. I'm going for quiet yet powerful.

Here is what I'm making so far:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/xJfkqk

I've got a few questions about some parts.

M.2 drives how do you find out how fast they are? I don't know which one to get as I really am only gonna use it for dedicated plex caching.

Dual Lan is controlled by the motherboard not some windows software right?

Any additional insights into this build are more than welcome.

What exactly is being cached by plex? I don't think an SSD is even needed.

The dual lan is controlled just like any LAN port, no special software needed.

I would go with 8gb ram.

Delio

I hope this is the right place to ask. So im in the market for a new graphics card. I've been living off a old Radeon HD 6870 for years and now that my friend gifted me a new system i want a new card to go with it. I'm on a budget of like $150 and honestly the only real games i play on PC are mmos and Overwatch. Any suggestions?

I hope this is the right place to ask. So im in the market for a new graphics card. I've been living off a old Radeon HD 6870 for years and now that my friend gifted me a new system i want a new card to go with it. I'm on a budget of like $150 and honestly the only real games i play on PC are mmos and Overwatch. Any suggestions?

1050 Ti. There's a range of variations both below and above your suggested price point, putting you right where the card is aimed.

j-wood

Yes it would. What CPU do you have btw?

Sorry, forgot to check back in this thread. I'm still thinking about a 1070. The rest of my rig is new, I built it last year to upgrade to DDR4. So I have the 6700k, 16GB of DDR4, SSD etc.

But I reused my 970 since it was only a year old last year.

Would this be a good 1070? How can I tell if this one has that over heat issue that EVGA had?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GX5YWAO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Flipside

Wait until CES when they announce the new Kaby Lake processors coming out. Even Ryzen from AMD might be a good choice since you're going to be using Unity.

Thanks for your input! I'll wait and see what will be announced at CES and if the release dates of new CPUs and GPUs are in the (somewhat) near future then I will wait a bit before building my new system.

Yesterday I installed a stick of RAM and now I'm having some weird issues with my MSI rx470 4gb (I think) when playing games. I am getting super bad aliasing even though I have anti aliasing turned to a high setting, as well as bad textures far away even though I am running games on high/ultra. This is most evident in Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I am also seeing textures flicker in Watch_Dogs 2 along with weird white dots that flicker. This shouldn't be happening consider before I installed the RAM there were no problems. I installed it properly and never touched my GPU. I've updated to the latest drivers as well. I cannot figure out what's causing this issue, so maybe someone here can help.

I've also set the profile settings in the Radeon panel to default and didn't touch them before this problem occured. Is my GPU dead or one of my other components?

Here are my specs:
MSI rx470 4gb
i5-3570k
Thermaltake Toughpower 675W PSU
16gb RAM
1 TB Seagate HD

Here are some pictures from RotTR. It's worth noting I am using the High preset in the game and SMAA x2 running at 1080p.

FE1972FD5AE9C7DAFD1F0D9670949CCD026B3D5E

A555777196A00634765645CC11AC90850DC3B2D2

In the one above, the character is actually transparent. This happened with other objects in the game.

777A30A06C52BCBD733C180D9905FCF8A8153CC2

Phew!!

Last night I installed my new PSU. I'm not tech savvy and the last time I opened my PC was in 2011 when I built it for the first time.

I give myself a C- for cable management but the thing turned on and it's as good as new. Feels good to be back!

I've got my i5 2500k to 4.2 and I'm hoping to get another year out of it before I need to regut the whole thing again. Next upgrade will be CPU, mobo, RAM...better start saving.

What exactly is being cached by plex? I don't think an SSD is even needed.

The dual lan is controlled just like any LAN port, no special software needed.

I would go with 8gb ram.

I've read a few reports on 4k streaming saying that a jail for Plex that is faster is the way to go for serving data. I don't wish to compromise stream quality so M.2 it is. I also hear that Plex uses the space for transcoding cache. I just don't know what type of M.2 to get for this rig.

The ram is future proofing for more drives to be added to the box as time permits. I'm sticking with the rule of 1gb to 1tb of drive space. I might just go with a single 16gb stick so there is room for another upgrade in it's lifetime.

Another thing I'm a bit confused about is Z170N vs H170N am I mistaken or does the Z just allow for overclocking/underclocking (might be useful for me to underclock for reliability/longevity) of the unlocked versions of the processors?

see5harp

What is the case that people are liking these days? I was just thinking about a possible upgrade in 2017. I like that Phateks case but having glass on both sides of the case seems like the dumbest decision ever.

inner-G

Banned
How much am I looking at for a 1440p 144Hz g-sync Monitor at the moment? I found some up to 800€+ with IPS. I found a TN panel for about 550€ (Acer Predator 27"). Are these reasonable prices?

How long do you guys recond it would take for 4k 144Hz g-sync to reach reasonable prices? What about HDR? Is it worth the wait? Or should I upgrade now and buy again in a couple of years?
Not sure what EU prices typically run

The Dell is usually $699 US (tn panel) but was on sale for $499 this week

Just a quick question guys. Is it normal for hard drives to get louder as you use them more? I bought a WD 4TB Black edition about 3 months ago and it was fairly silent. Now I can hear every read and write it makes quite loudly.

Is this a sign it's failing?

MrFlooD

Just a quick question guys. Is it normal for hard drives to get louder as you use them more? I bought a WD 4TB Black edition about 3 months ago and it was fairly silent. Now I can hear every read and write it makes quite loudly.

Is this a sign it's failing?

I have had loud drives, but they have been loud from day one. If the drive is getting louder and louder, I would suggest running diagnostics.

Bloodember

Yesterday I installed a stick of RAM and now I'm having some weird issues with my MSI rx470 4gb (I think) when playing games. I am getting super bad aliasing even though I have anti aliasing turned to a high setting, as well as bad textures far away even though I am running games on high/ultra. This is most evident in Rise of the Tomb Raider.

I am also seeing textures flicker in Watch_Dogs 2 along with weird white dots that flicker. This shouldn't be happening consider before I installed the RAM there were no problems. I installed it properly and never touched my GPU. I've updated to the latest drivers as well. I cannot figure out what's causing this issue, so maybe someone here can help.

I've also set the profile settings in the Radeon panel to default and didn't touch them before this problem occured. Is my GPU dead or one of my other components?

Here are my specs:
MSI rx470 4gb
i5-3570k
16gb RAM
1 TB Seagate HD

Pull the new stick of RAM out and see if it still does it.

What is the case that people are liking these days? I was just thinking about a possible upgrade in 2017. I like that Phateks case but having glass on both sides of the case seems like the dumbest decision ever.
Just pick the one you like the best. Most of the big named ones have good cooling and cable management.

LilJoka

I've read a few reports on 4k streaming saying that a jail for Plex that is faster is the way to go for serving data. I don't wish to compromise stream quality so M.2 it is. I also hear that Plex uses the space for transcoding cache. I just don't know what type of M.2 to get for this rig.

The ram is future proofing for more drives to be added to the box as time permits. I'm sticking with the rule of 1gb to 1tb of drive space. I might just go with a single 16gb stick so there is room for another upgrade in it's lifetime.

Another thing I'm a bit confused about is Z170N vs H170N am I mistaken or does the Z just allow for overclocking/underclocking (might be useful for me to underclock for reliability/longevity) of the unlocked versions of the processors?

Ok for transcoding it makes some sense.
Z would be for overclocking CPUs.
If you want the fastest M.2 SSD then you want a M.2 PCIE slot and matching M.2 SSD.
The gigabyte itx baord you picked hass 4x PCIE M.2 slot. So you can get a matching M.2 SSD.
1 x M.2 Socket 3 connector on the back of the motherboard (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280 SATA & PCIe x4/x2/x1 SSD support)

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/hard-drives-ssd/698

What is the bitrate of the 4k video?

Already tried it, no change.

Its not the ram, more like a coincidence.
Uninstall the AMD drivers and then run display drive uninstaller to clean it up.
Then re install the drivers.

If that doesnt fix it, try reducing the core and memory clocks on the GPU. If this fixes it the card needs RMA.

Phanteks come with all glass, window, or nothing.
Also look at fractal design.

jonno394

Here are my specs:
MSI rx470 4gb
i5-3570k
16gb RAM
1 TB Seagate HD

Here are some pictures from RotTR. It's worth noting I am using the High preset in the game and SMAA x2 running at 1080p.

I get the white dots and shimmering in the resident evil 7 demo too, seems to be an issue with smaa, other forms of AA work fine, no idea why :/

Vipu

Banned
Install DDU
http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Boot up in safe mode and hit Clean and restart.

Thats it.
Once its finished just install the latest AMD drivers.

As above poster mentions, make sure these arent known issues with those games/settings.

I heard that using DDU can make things worse lately.
I just always install drivers on top of old, dont think I ever had problem.
Tried DDU sometimes too but no difference to just install normally.

Rootbeer

Banned
Can someone suggest an excellent gigabit network interface card? After a power outage the one in my PC is acting up, keeps killing my internet and rebooting sometimes fixes it, but occasionally i have to reboot more than once. The wireless part still works but I don't use it. I only need wired.

I don't want to go through all the trouble of replacing the mobo just over this issue (mobo is over a year old anyway)

kennah

Can someone suggest an excellent gigabit network interface card? After a power outage the one in my PC is acting up, keeps killing my internet and rebooting sometimes fixes it, but occasionally i have to reboot more than once. The wireless part still works but I don't use it. I only need wired.

I don't want to go through all the trouble of replacing the mobo just over this issue (mobo is over a year old anyway)
Motherboards generally have a 3 year warranty.

Plum

Is there much of a noticeable difference between a Black Series Western Digital HDD and a Blue Series one? The 2TB Black one I'm looking at is out of stock on Amazon and I was thinking of getting a 4TB Blue one instead.

Jezbollah

This one looks pretty good.

Using TAA or FXAA+TAA doesn't have the problem, but FXAA on its own or SMAA has the white dots/jaggy texture edges
I switched to FXAA on WD2 but I didn't noticed an improvement. However it did seem to fix the problem on RotTR. Maybe WD2 is just really poorly optimized in that regard. I was playing Overwatch and Fallout 4 earlier and didn't notice jaggies so it may be a game by game basis.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Jeez. I only just updated my monitor and it already feels like a huge step up. Rocking a 660ti which I wasn't sure supported g sync or not but apparently it does.

144hz g sync 1440p and while I have to lower my settings to run that for Witcher 3, it's still pretty awesome. I'll be able to crank it all the way up after my rig comes with a 1080 equipped.

To be honest, it feels that the monitor upgrade seems enough but I guess I'll see how it is after the new computer is up and running.

I finally got my ASUS VZ229H monitor and it's amazing! :D Dual-monitors really help with productivity! Although I have a strange problem with it, basically whenever I have a borderless-fullscreen application on the second screen its framerates start to crawl as if it somehow enforces double-buffer V-Sync or has some kind of frameskipping o.o

I noticed this the most with Overwatch, it runs at a perfect locked 60fps in borderless-mode on my first monitor, as soon as I move it to the second it skips around 35-40fps. Now if I tell it to use the second-monitor in exclusive-mode I get a perfect 60fps too. The problem is not all games support exclusive-fullscreen though :/

I'm running a GTX 1070 with Windows 7 x64 and the latest drivers. The first screen is connected via a DVI - HDMI cable to the 1070's DVI port and the second screen is connected to the 1070's HDMI port with a HDMI - HDMI cable.

Does anyone have an idea what's happening here? Thanks for help in advance!

Vipu

Banned
Jeez. I only just updated my monitor and it already feels like a huge step up. Rocking a 660ti which I wasn't sure supported g sync or not but apparently it does.

144hz g sync 1440p and while I have to lower my settings to run that for Witcher 3, it's still pretty awesome. I'll be able to crank it all the way up after my rig comes with a 1080 equipped.

To be honest, it feels that the monitor upgrade seems enough but I guess I'll see how it is after the new computer is up and running.

Yep, monitor is the thing you look at 100% of time when you are on PC so ofc it should be good, I feel many people underestimate monitors.

Its like you spend tons of money and make your garden amazing and then you build glass box around it from cheapest and dirty glass, then you look at your garden always from behind that messy and blurry glass.

Ok for transcoding it makes some sense.
Z would be for overclocking CPUs.
If you want the fastest M.2 SSD then you want a M.2 PCIE slot and matching M.2 SSD.
The gigabyte itx baord you picked hass 4x PCIE M.2 slot. So you can get a matching M.2 SSD.
1 x M.2 Socket 3 connector on the back of the motherboard (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280 SATA & PCIe x4/x2/x1 SSD support)

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/hard-drives-ssd/698

What is the bitrate of the 4k video?

Thank you for explaining all that the M.2 stuff isn't as simple as I thought it was.

As for the 4k video I don't know yet I just know It needs a lot of speed. So much so that It got me thinking about investing in a 10GBe upgrade down the road. I thought and mistakenly so that UHD AACS 2.0 was cracked so I could back up my collection of UHD's. Thankfully for me it hasn't so I just get to sit back and rip my whole Bluray collection to this box.

Anyone know if there are any advantages to getting a SFX form factor PSU over a standard PSU for Node 304?

Chabbles

So i ordered my new build from scan earlier today.

Mobo-Gigabyte GA-Z170-Gaming K3
CPU-Intel Core i5 6600K + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU-MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT OC V1 6GB
RAM-16GB (2x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX 3000
Case-Corsair Carbide Series 100R
Storage-2TB Seagate BarraCuda, 3.5" HDD
Optical drive-LG GH24NSD0 - 24x DVD-RW
Power-500W EVGA Bronze, 80 PLUS

With this build, should i go for a 1080 or 1440 monitor ? It seems 1080p is the way to go from all i've read. What are some good 23 or 24inch monitors between £100 and 200 ? (without g-sync or freesync) just great response time and picture quality is my main concern, i've been looking at this one from Asus, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B014RKZ81O/ Any suggestions ?

ZBR

So my buddy is building himself a new PC and giving me parts of his old one (I probably won't get to build one again until 2018). The parts he's giving me are; i7 920, EVGA x58 SLI mobo, and a 750 watt psu. I wasn't looking to spend too much and don't mind buying a used card. I'm looking to play games at 1080p/60fps with almost everything maxed out. I was thinking of getting more/faster RAM and it's the GPU I can't really decide on. I hope a 920 won't bottleneck a new GPU too much but we are going to overclock it to at least 3.4ghz.

My current build is a AMD Phenom II at 3.4ghz with 6 gigs of ram and SLI 470's.

Jezbollah

Yep can't go wrong with Intel gigabit cards.

Yep, pretty much what I thought too. They're very solid.

So my buddy is building himself a new PC and giving me parts of his old one (I probably won't get to build one again until 2018). The parts he's giving me are; i7 920, EVGA x58 SLI mobo, and a 750 watt psu. I wasn't looking to spend too much and don't mind buying a used card. I'm looking to play games at 1080p/60fps with almost everything maxed out. I was thinking of getting more/faster RAM and it's the GPU I can't really decide on. I hope a 920 won't bottleneck a new GPU too much but we are going to overclock it to at least 3.4ghz.

My current build is a AMD Phenom II at 3.4ghz with 6 gigs of ram and SLI 470's.

What budget do you have to use with this? Do you have a case and cooler included here?

JardeL

I'm planning to build a new system and cant decide about the mainboard. My priorities are the quality of the components and best onboard audio solution. Which one should I prefer between ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger vs. ASUS Z170-PRO vs. ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming ? Pro Gaming is the cheapest but I'm not sure about the quality. Z170-PRO is the most expensive one but not sure about the audio.

Z170-PRO
Realtek® ALC1150 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC featuring Crystal Sound 3
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel MIC Jack-retasking
Audio Feature :
- Absolute Pitch 192kHz/ 24-bit True BD Lossless Sound
- DTS Connect
- DTS Studio Sound
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
- LED-lit Audio Shielding: Ensures precision analog/digital separation and greatly reduced multi-lateral interference, with a gorgeous illuminated trace path
- Dedicated audio PCB layers: Separate layers for left and right channels to guard the quality of the sensitive audio signals
- Audio amplifier: Provides the highest-quality sound for headphone and speakers
- Premium Japanese-made audio capacitors: Provide warm, natural and immersive sound with exceptional clarity and fidelity
- Unique de-pop circuit: Reduces start-up popping noise to audio outputs
- Top notch audio sensation delivers according to the audio configuration
- EMI protection cover to prevent electrical noise to affect the amplifier quality
- Absolute Pitch 192khz/24bit true BD lossless sound
- Power pre-regulator: Reduces power input noise to ensure consistent performance
Separate layer for left and right track, ensuring both sound deliver equal quality

Maximus VIII Ranger
ROG SupremeFX 2015 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC
- Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
- SupremeFX Shielding Technology
- ESS® ES9023P
- TI RC4580 2VRMS audio OP AMP(s)
Audio Feature :
- Gold-plated jacks
- DTS Connect
- Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
- Sonic SenseAmp
- Sonic Studio II
- Sonic Radar II

Any help please?

LilJoka

I'm planning to build a new system and cant decide about the mainboard. My priorities are the quality of the components and best onboard audio solution. Which one should I prefer between ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger vs. ASUS Z170-PRO vs. ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming ? Pro Gaming is the cheapest but I'm not sure about the quality. Z170-PRO is the most expensive one but not sure about the audio.

Z170-PRO

Maximus VIII Ranger

Any help please?

The rampage should be better but who knows if you will be able to tell. Onboard audio has got pretty good even on basic models.
If you are serious about audio then either use the HDMI audio or a USB DAC.

LilJoka

Thank you for explaining all that the M.2 stuff isn't as simple as I thought it was.

As for the 4k video I don't know yet I just know It needs a lot of speed. So much so that It got me thinking about investing in a 10GBe upgrade down the road. I thought and mistakenly so that UHD AACS 2.0 was cracked so I could back up my collection of UHD's. Thankfully for me it hasn't so I just get to sit back and rip my whole Bluray collection to this box.

Anyone know if there are any advantages to getting a SFX form factor PSU over a standard PSU for Node 304?

ATX style PSU is fine in the node 304, and more than fine without a full length GPU.
I have the Rmx 650w PSU and MSI GTX 970 on my Node 304. To get it to fit I unscrewed the PSU bracket so I can push the PSU further back such that the cables dont foul the GPU.

Ultra HD Blu-ray still requires the use of compression to fit everything on the disc, in the form of HEVC/H.265 compression with a maximum bit rate of 100 Mbps (compared with a maximum of 40 Mbps for Blu-ray). A UHD BD disc can hold up to 100 GB of data, compared with 50 GB for a double-layer BD or 25 GB for a single-layer BD.

So if you want to store and stream UHD rips without reencoding to a lower bitrate, then you'll need 10gbe.

Majine

Banned
I thought about what my next upgrade is. I want to watercool my GPU.

Thought about buying this:

large

and attaching a Corsair AIO CPU cooler to it.

Is this a good or bad idea? I've never done this.

Kayhan

Hey PC GAF.

Question for you: Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of how much a new PC would cost that can run the newest games with OK performance (30fps) on the 1440p monitor that I already have?

kennah

Hey PC GAF.

Question for you: Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of how much a new PC would cost that can run the newest games with OK performance (30fps) on the 1440p monitor that I already have?

Honest Answer : As much as you want to spend.

Better Answer : Figure about $1,000 as a decent ballpark

So do we expect the 1080ti to be launched alongside the CES announcement or sometime after? I can't wait to go back to a single card setup, even if technically a 1080ti is more of a sidegrade (upgrade for some games, possibly a slight downgrade for others) from my SLI 980ti setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom