• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilJoka

I use plex on almost everything (Smart TVs, PS4s, Laptops, mobiles, iPads), and I have it in a big house with so many people using it. It runs very smoothly but cannot run H.265 files at all on any player.

Now I wish I can say I understood the bolded part, but I think the best way is to build and I would like to know how much roughly should I budget for it

Ok so this is the setup:
Synology NAS with Plex Sever installed.
Clients - PCs, TVs, PS4, Mobile -> ie the whole range.

Now if you stream without transcoding H.265 video to any of these clients, they will struggle to play it since they do not have a hardware decoder and their CPU is not powerful enough to decode it on the fly via software decoding.

Since you have multiple clients, building a box that would decode H.265 on the fly is not going to work - as that would be a single client.

What you need then is the Plex Server itself to re-encode the H.265 video to H.264 which the clients can then easily decode via hardware decoding. The only advantage here is that media is stored in H.265 which takes up less space. The bitrate will still end up being higher once converted to H.264 and sent to the client - So dont use this approach if we are looking to overcome a bandwidth issue.

I think a fairly beastly Plex Server would be needed to convert from h.265 to h.264. Probably looking at a i5 6600 - hard to say as i cant test it, nor find many people doing this.

Plex does support transcoding H.265 to H.264 - have you enabled this and tested the performance (figure out if the NAS is too slow or the Client).

What kind of source H.265 content do you want to stream? 1080p/4k? Approximate bitrates?

Ok so this is the setup:
Synology NAS with Plex Sever installed.
Clients - PCs, TVs, PS4, Mobile -> ie the whole range.

Now if you stream without transcoding H.265 video to any of these clients, they will struggle to play it since they do not have a hardware decoder and their CPU is not powerful enough to decode it on the fly via software decoding.

Since you have multiple clients, building a box that would decode H.265 on the fly is not going to work - as that would be a single client.

What you need then is the Plex Server itself to re-encode the H.265 video to H.264 which the clients can then easily decode via hardware decoding. The only advantage here is that media is stored in H.265 which takes up less space. The bitrate will still end up being higher once converted to H.264 and sent to the client - So dont use this approach if we are looking to overcome a bandwidth issue.

I think a fairly beastly Plex Server would be needed to convert from h.265 to h.264. Probably looking at a i5 6600 - hard to say as i cant test it, nor find many people doing this.

Plex does support transcoding H.265 to H.264 - have you enabled this and tested the performance (figure out if the NAS is too slow or the Client).

What kind of source H.265 content do you want to stream? 1080p/4k? Approximate bitrates?

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

the H.265 is 4K

The only option I got to work is "optimize" the videos which will create a massive converted copy and mostly it's bad quality

Maybe I should just stray away from H.265 and settle for 1080p?

EDIT: Or what about replacing my Synology with this? https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS416play

EDIT2: I don't think it's a good option. This is from a reviewer on Amazon

Secondly, it states that it can do 4k transcoding. Let me be 100% clear here, it can ONLY do 4k HARDWARE transcode for ONE user. Plex DOES NOT support HARDWARE transcode, so this is 100% USELESS. Everytime I have tried to load a 1080p or 720p video I get "Server is not powerful enough to convert the video". I am using mp4 264 codec which is the most widely supported codec for all my videos.

New year, same question:

I7 7700k, z270 motherboard and 1080ti in january-march

or wait for cannonlake i7 (maybe 6+ cores) and volta in 2018?

Coming from an Intel i5 750 with GTX 570 PC I'm ready to go as soon as all parts I need are available.
I waited for Kaby Lake since I wanted that native H.265 10 bit decoding support.

LilJoka

Thanks for taking the time to explain.

the H.265 is 4K

The only option I got to work is "optimize" the videos which will create a massive converted copy and mostly it's bad quality

Maybe I should just stray away from H.265 and settle for 1080p?

EDIT: Or what about replacing my Synology with this? https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS416play

Heres what i would try to gauge the level of performance needed - if you have a fairly modern PC or laptop:
Setup a 2nd Plex Server on the laptop/pc
Copy a H.265 4K sample on to the laptop/pc
Then try to stream it to a client which doesnt support h.265 decode.
Use a client that can show what the video content actually is - ie determine if Plex sent the h.265 or did it send a transcode (h.264).
If it sent the h.265 then that would be part of the issue to poor/choppy playback.
If it sent h.264, we know its transcoding the video and that the server must be too slow.

See how much resource is being used on the latop/pc with task manager and try to gauge if you need more or less power.

The CPUs in the NAS's mentioned are incredibly weak, especially compared to any Core i series CPU, and even moreso against desktop grade CPUs. So even a mediocre laptop CPU would be enough, that would let us work out what kind of CPU we would need for a new Plex Server build.

As youve found, Plex is only doing transcoding on the CPU also, so we cant use a GTX 960 for example =/

Heres what i would try to gauge the level of performance needed - if you have a fairly modern PC or laptop:
Setup a 2nd Plex Server on the laptop/pc
Copy a H.265 4K sample on to the laptop/pc
Then try to stream it to a client which doesnt support h.265 decode.
Use a client that can show what the video content actually is - ie determine if Plex sent the h.265 or did it send a transcode (h.264).
If it sent the h.265 then that would be part of the issue to poor/choppy playback.
If it sent h.264, we know its transcoding the video and that the server must be too slow.

See how much resource is being used on the latop/pc with task manager and try to gauge if you need more or less power.

The CPUs in the NAS's mentioned are incredibly weak, especially compared to any Core i series CPU, and even moreso against desktop grade CPUs. So even a mediocre laptop CPU would be enough, that would let us work out what kind of CPU we would need for a new Plex Server build.

As youve found, Plex is only doing transcoding on the CPU also, so we cant use a GTX 960 for example =/

great. That will be my project for next week

I have an old i3 PC that I will use to test the above

Thanks again.

Sch1sm

Looking into building mini, well, more microATX than mini ITX it's looking. GPU wise I'm a bit stuck, though. Seems the only mini 1070s available are by Gigabyte and Zotac
and I'm admittedly very MSI/ASUS leaning
. Case I'm using is the Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, so the regular 1070 is 7mm over the 260mm suggested. Working on the assumption that it may block drivers and screw me, between the two mini options available, which is sitting in a prettier spot?

TL DR; if you really had to choose between the two mini gtx 1070s on the market, Zotac and Gigabyte, which would you go for and why not the other?

LilJoka

Looking into building mini, well, more microATX than mini ITX it's looking. GPU wise I'm a bit stuck, though. Seems the only mini 1070s available are by Gigabyte and Zotac
and I'm admittedly very MSI/ASUS leaning
. Case I'm using is the Fractal Design Arc Mini R2, so the regular 1070 is 7mm over the 260mm suggested. Working on the assumption that it may block drivers and screw me, between the two mini options available, which is sitting in a prettier spot?

TL DR; if you really had to choose between the two mini gtx 1070s on the market, Zotac and Gigabyte, which would you go for and why not the other?

Graphics card compatibility: Graphics cards up to 260mm in length with the top HDD cage installed - With the top cage removed, graphics cards up to 400mm in length may be installed

Just get rid of one of the drive cages, they just slide out.

Dont gimp yourself with an ITX card with limited cooling.

And you should go with a mITX rather than mATX build.

hohoXD123

Question about transporting PCs, do you guys take any components out beforehand? May need to take mine on a 45 minute car journey but I'm worried about my GTX 1080 getting ripped out and damaging everything else along the way. This is in a fractal design r4 case btw.

Question about transporting PCs, do you guys take any components out beforehand? May need to take mine on a 45 minute car journey but I'm worried about my GTX 1080 getting ripped out and damaging everything else along the way. This is in a fractal design r4 case btw.

I usually take the graphics card out if I take my PC on a long trip. I have heard stories of these cards coming loose and destroying the rest of the PC. I'm not taking that risk.

So do we expect the 1080ti to be launched alongside the CES announcement or sometime after? I can't wait to go back to a single card setup, even if technically a 1080ti is more of a sidegrade (upgrade for some games, possibly a slight downgrade for others) from my SLI 980ti setup.

I have a single 980ti and I long for info on the 1080ti. This is gonna be good. Hoping for 700-800 price range. I can use the jump in performance in VR

Saiyan-Rox

Currently have an Intel Core i7 6700K with an MSI Z170A-G43 Plus S1151 ATX Intel Motherboard + 16GB of DDR4 RAM (3000MHz) and a GTX 980

Thinking of getting a 1070 to replace the 980 (Can't afford the 1080 :( ) is it worth it atm?

Sch1sm

Graphics card compatibility: Graphics cards up to 260mm in length with the top HDD cage installed - With the top cage removed, graphics cards up to 400mm in length may be installed

Just get rid of one of the drive cages, they just slide out.

Dont gimp yourself with an ITX card with limited cooling.

And you should go with a mITX rather than mATX build.

Thanks for the quick response. \o/

Got any suggestions case wise, then? Not like I own any of the stuff as is, so I don't mind changing stuff around.

LilJoka

Thanks for the quick response. o/

Got any suggestions case wise, then? Not like I own any of the stuff as is, so I don't mind changing stuff around.

Fractal Design Nano S is nice. And the Asus Z170i board if you will be getting a K series Intel CPU like a 6600K.

Is this a pretty good GPU?:
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 Mini ITX

Amazon has it for $40 off (and I've got some Amazon credit) and I like that it's the smaller size since I'd like to get smaller case eventually.

The only negative comments in the reviews is that that coil can whine a little loudly, but I doubt I'll run it that high very often.

rtcn63

Currently have an Intel Core i7 6700K with an MSI Z170A-G43 Plus S1151 ATX Intel Motherboard + 16GB of DDR4 RAM (3000MHz) and a GTX 980

Thinking of getting a 1070 to replace the 980 (Can't afford the 1080 :( ) is it worth it atm?

The 980 is about on par with the 1060, so you'd be looking at a 25-33% performance increase with the 1070 real world. If you're doing 1080p/60fps, I probably wouldn't bother. The lowest I've seen the 1070 go for (in the US) is ~$300.

Saiyan-Rox

The 980 is about on par with the 1060, so you'd be looking at a 25-33% performance increase with the 1070 real world. If you're doing 1080p/60fps, I probably wouldn't bother. The lowest I've seen the 1070 go for (in the US) is ~$300.

Yeah I'm doing 1080/60 but I wouldn't mind being able to max some games again as lately I've not been able to tbh

After selling my 980 I'd be paying about £200 for a 1070

Saiyan-Rox

Are you overclocking the 980? IIRC it OC's pretty well (up to a 15-20% increase in gaming performance http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/22). The 10XX cards are much more limited in that respect.

I'm not actually no I didn't even concider it :O I've seen the temps of my card go pretty high without overclocking (well what I think is high anyway I'm still not sure about all that) but overclocking makes the temps worse right?

Tbh for memory alone I might just bounce on the 1070 anyway

DJ_Lae

I've been waiting a little while to build a new PC (I would say 'upgrade,' but at this point I need to go full motherboard and memory and everything, so very little would actually survive).

I was initially thinking of going with a 1080, but their pricing is kind of absurd in Canada so a 1070 is looking more likely.

I currently have a 3570K and a 7970 - would there be any real reason to buy the 1070 now and pop it in my current computer for shits and giggles or would it be hilariously bottlenecked by my CPU?

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've been waiting a little while to build a new PC (I would say 'upgrade,' but at this point I need to go full motherboard and memory and everything, so very little would actually survive).

I was initially thinking of going with a 1080, but their pricing is kind of absurd in Canada so a 1070 is looking more likely.

I currently have a 3570K and a 7970 - would there be any real reason to buy the 1070 now and pop it in my current computer for shits and giggles or would it be hilariously bottlenecked by my CPU?

Just make sure to overclock the cpu and you should be fine with the 3570k for now.

rtcn63

I'm not actually no I didn't even concider it :O I've seen the temps of my card go pretty high without overclocking (well what I think is high anyway I'm still not sure about all that) but overclocking makes the temps worse right?

Tbh for memory alone I might just bounce on the 1070 anyway

Are you running a reference 980? Unless you're hitting like 90C+ under load, you should be fine.

EDIT: What's standard vram for the 980, 4GB? More memory is really only necessary if it directly translates to increased framerates in the games you expect to play. 4GB isn't bad at all for 1080/60 unless you're into heavy texture mods.

cwistofu

I've got an i5-6600k and a 1070. Will I get any significant gains for the following games by overclocking? I'm playing on a 1080p60hz monitor.

Forza Horizon 3
GTAV
Witcher 3
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Titanfall 2

This is my first powerful computer (I'm coming from an 870M) so I'm not really sure what to expect.

rtcn63

I've got an i5-6600k and a 1070. Will I get any significant gains for the following games by overclocking? I'm playing on a 1080p60hz monitor.

Forza Horizon 3
GTAV
Witcher 3
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Titanfall 2

This is my first powerful computer (I'm coming from an 870M) so I'm not really sure what to expect.

Overclocking the CPU? Yes. Open-world games like the Witcher 3 tend to go heavy on the CPU, although I've read that even with a 1070, you're still likely to get framerate drops from 60 in certain areas. Make sure your motherboard supports overclocking though.

GPU? Probably not necessary at 1080p/60fps for the majority of games. Yet. The 1070 is often recommended as a 1440p card, to give you an idea.

rtcn63

I need help.

My bro has a450W PSU in his PC.

which is this:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cs-series-modular-cs450m-450-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-psu

Can he do a GTX 670 that I would give to him with it? He is running a Intel Core i3-4160 on it if it matters.

Had it running a GTX 750 ti originally which didn't need any power cables.

What cable would I need for it? Thanks.

I had a Seasonic 430W, i5, and GTX 670 for over four years. Running a 1060 on it now. And depending on the specific 670 model, you *might* need a small adapter (that usually comes with the card, so you probably have it lying around). Look up what the pin requirements are for the card.

I need help.

My bro has a450W PSU in his PC.

which is this:

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/cs-series-modular-cs450m-450-watt-80-plus-gold-certified-psu

Can he do a GTX 670 that I would give to him with it? He is running a Intel Core i3-4160 on it if it matters.

Had it running a GTX 750 ti originally which didn't need any power cables.

What cable would I need for it? Thanks.

The 670 requires two 6-pin connectors. Beyond that, while Nvidia's site recommends a 500w power supply, what I find suggests that 450 should technically suffice - just has less overhead than would be ideal.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What are you guys using to park your arses on?

I'm in dire need of a new desktop chair and am willing to put up some more coin this time than normal.
Function >>> form. I'm really not overly fussed about how it looks and much prefer an ergonomic design that factors in comfort and back support, particularly for longish gaming sessions.
I couldn't give two shits about gaming branded chairs and don't want to be paying premium just for a logo when that money could be better spent on a more comfortable chair.
I don't really know where to start because I always go kinda cheap with my chairs.
Please help.

rtcn63

What are you guys using to park your arses on?

I'm in dire need of a new desktop chair and am willing to put up some more coin this time than normal.
Function >>> form. I'm really not overly fussed about how it looks and much prefer an ergonomic design that factors in comfort and back support, particularly for longish gaming sessions.
I couldn't give two shits about gaming branded chairs and don't want to be paying premium just for a logo when that money could be better spent on a more comfortable chair.
I don't really know where to start because I always go kinda cheap with my chairs.
Please help.

Hit up a local flea market or office furniture liquidator (check Craigslist) and look for Herman Miller Aerons, Steelcase Leaps, Humanscale, etc. Get whatever your butt likes after a few minutes.

Sotha_Sil

Not sure if this is the right location for troubleshooting.

MSI z170-A
Corsair 16 GB Ram (2x8)
212 Hyper Evo
AMD 480
1 TB HD
480 GB SSD

I built my PC a few weeks ago and everything was running perfectly. No performance issues or anything. I was out of town for Christmas for a little while, and decided to move my PC tower to my office at work since there have been a number of break-ins in the area (one happened to me at my prior house a few blocks down the road) and didn't want to go through all that again.

I get back, bring the computer back home, plug everything back in, and I can't get anything to display. When I power it on, the GPU lights up, the CPU fan starts running, and the two case fans start running, so something is working. I started looking at the debug lights on the mobo, and immediately after powering on, the CPU light flashes for half a second then turns off, then the DRAM signal lights up for 2 seconds then turns off, then the VGA signal lights up for 2 seconds then turns off. After this sequence, all lights remain off.

And that's all I've got. I'm going out on a limb and thinking that the debug lights turning off means that there isn't a problem with the CPU/DRAM/GPU. The power supply is clearly working in some capacity, as is the mobo, as the case fans are connected to a PWM hud connected to the mobo, and the CPU heatsink is spinning. I checked all the connectors and everything appears to be set up properly.

Does anyone have any ideas? The manual is completely useless as it doesn't say anything about whether short flashes of lights on the debug are an issue, or if they need to be continuously lit to be a problem. Googling didn't give me too much advice either.

Garuda1One

Guys, do you turn on the Intel Speedstep if overclocking ?
im overclocking my i7 6700k right now at 4.5Ghz, and not sure whether to leave it on or off.

knitoe

im overclocking my i7 6700k right now at 4.5Ghz, and not sure whether to leave it on or off.

Unless you need to run the CPU at 4.5GHz 24/7, leave it off. Otherwise, most people will turn it on so the CPU can downclock when your task doesn't require much performance.

I personally keep Speed Step off as my temps are pretty low and sometimes the Turbo doesn't always kick in on certain programs, giving you lower performance.

AkIRA_22

I ordered this and am getting it Tuesday. Still a bit surprised I spent that much on a monitor, but I'm pretty excited.

I did A LOT of reading, and it came down to it and the Acer but in the end it was availability that forced my had. You won't regret it, it's a lovely monitor, despite being a ROG product it's actually quite visually neutral, which is great, it's a monitor, there shouldn't be any distractions.

Turn on 165hz!

I had a go between the two, to be honest I didn't notice a difference. I'd rather leave it for now, and see if there are any trends IRT reliability in the coming months.

Amagon

Hey guys, I can use some assistance with a stemming issue I am experiencing after completing my first build.

I have a ASrock Z170 Extreme 7+ / i7 6700k / H100i v2 setup and the H100i fans keep on going up and down while the LED on the cooler block on top of the CPU flashes red, then full on red every few minutes.

Its driving me nuts. I'm idling with Chrome and 10 tabs open. I'm seeing temps fluctuate between 28 to 60 degress when it happens? Any

ZaeZIDG.png

Edit: I should also mention, after doing restarts on the computer, when doing patch updates. I had received a blue screen with the "whea_uncorrectable_error" message once.

DJ_Lae

Just make sure to overclock the cpu and you should be fine with the 3570k for now.

I haven't actually tried overclocking it yet, I bought the K version just so I could, but I never got around to it. Might as well see what happens considering I'll be getting a new CPU soon anyway - maybe it'll hold up better than I expect.

Bloodember

Hey guys, I can use some assistance with a stemming issue I am experiencing after completing my first build.

I have a ASrock Z170 Extreme 7+ / i7 6700k / H100i v2 setup and the H100i fans keep on going up and down while the LED on the cooler block on top of the CPU flashes red, then full on red every few minutes.

Its driving me nuts. I'm idling with Chrome and 10 tabs open. I'm seeing temps fluctuate between 28 to 60 degress when it happens? Any

Edit: I should also mention, after doing restarts on the computer, when doing patch updates. I had received a blue screen with the "whea_uncorrectable_error" message once.

Make sure your bios is updated and you have the newest version of the drivers and software for your AIO. Also how big is your PSU and how old is it?

I haven't actually tried overclocking it yet, I bought the K version just so I could, but I never got around to it. Might as well see what happens considering I'll be getting a new CPU soon anyway - maybe it'll hold up better than I expect.

If you've never done any overclocking, it wasn't hard at all for me when I did it with the same CPU you have.

I just googled overclocking 3570K plus my motherboard type/number and I found a set by step guide with pictures on exactly what to tweak in the BIOS.

I reverted back to stock because my computer was giving me trouble, but I honestly think it was a Windows issue since doing a reinstall fixed everything. I'll probably use the same guide to re-overclock it one of these days.

Diancecht

Hey I got a question about my PC.

I am going back to my country next week and I will be selling most of my PC parts, apart from the CPU and GPU. But I don't have any of the original packaging for any of them.

So how should I pack my CPU and GPU so they don't get destroyed in my baggage in the plane? I thinking about putting the GPU in the baggage and CPU in my backpack but I have no idea what kind of package and wraps to buy so that especially the CPU doesn't get ruined.

Whilst I don't understand what you're saying I think I'll go with the Intel; my two SSDs from them haven't failed me yet and it's only £30 more expensive. Thanks!
You're welcome. I actually recommend people to buy MX200 or BX100 drives if they really want to buy Crucial.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Are 4k 21:9 monitors a thing yet? My MacBook Air 2011 probably won't be able to run it, anyway :/

Saiyan-Rox

Are you running a reference 980? Unless you're hitting like 90C+ under load, you should be fine.

EDIT: What's standard vram for the 980, 4GB? More memory is really only necessary if it directly translates to increased framerates in the games you expect to play. 4GB isn't bad at all for 1080/60 unless you're into heavy texture mods.

Yeah I have the reference one. And temps have gotten to about 70 I think last time I checked and for some reason most games I play won't stick to 60fps and drop like mad it was worse when I had an older i5 but it's still happening. Planet coaster for example I have to have on medium to get it locked

LilJoka

Hey I got a question about my PC.

I am going back to my country next week and I will be selling most of my PC parts, apart from the CPU and GPU. But I don't have any of the original packaging for any of them.

So how should I pack my CPU and GPU so they don't get destroyed in my baggage in the plane? I thinking about putting the GPU in the baggage and CPU in my backpack but I have no idea what kind of package and wraps to buy so that especially the CPU doesn't get ruined.

CPU is the last thing to get ruined. Anti static bag and a bit of bubble wrap then throw in the suitcase with your clothes as padding.

GPU - bubble wrap and put it in your back pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom