• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone got a recommendation for a hard drive enclosure? Want a good 2.5" usb3 one and it's something that there are just too many options for and every time I get one it ends up having some bad controller or needs some sort of extra power.

Posted a week or so ago. Anyone got a recommendation? Should I just pick whatever the highest rated thing on amazon is that suits me?

Hey so I have a weird problem with my PC that I built, and I'd like some ideas...

Oh boy. Stuff like this is a total PITA. It's probably a DPC latency issue. You likely have some sort of driver interaction going on, but it could be any number of devices. I'd guess that when you installed Win10 initially it probably bumped whatever device it is to a good driver version, and the Linux/Windows switch somehow ended up with something that's not working as well.

Do a google search for "DPC latency", and you should find some troubleshooting guides. You probably want to download a monitor program, find the source of the problem and then hopefully you can find a new driver that works for you.

Either way, if this problem has gone in/out with only software changes, I don't think RMA'ing the card and putting a new one in is going to fix it (but if might). Good luck...

kennah

Don't plan on any overclocking. However, aside from gaming, I do video editing (Adobe Premiere) on the side, and the girlfriend's work (she runs a high-end print shop that mainly caters to architectural and engineering firms) regularly has her working on massive plan sets in Illustrator & InDesign. The i7 really helps out here over an i5, especially for my video work.

The 7700K would be worth it for the extra .6GHz even if you don't overclock.

What version and what price range?
I'm looking at the XFX GTR and Sapphire Nitro+ models in 8GB. It's my own fault for sleeping on black friday and christmas deals. Brexit pushing prices up rather than age bringing the price down.
What sort of price range you looking at? Because there are some 8GB models you can get at $230.
UK prices are bad right now. Best deal we've had was Scan two weeks ago and a bunch of those were cancelled. Someone on HUKD imported from Amazon FR but I've never done it before.

I'm looking at the XFX GTR and Sapphire Nitro+ models in 8GB. It's my own fault for sleeping on black friday and christmas deals. Brexit pushing prices up rather than age bringing the price down.

Ah, British prices? Then yeah, you're looking around £250 on the cheapest offerings, sorry to say.

Primus

The 7700K would be worth it for the extra .6GHz even if you don't overclock.

Huh, there is an actual speed difference...thought the only difference was that the K was unlocked. That does change things a smidge, plus it's only another $35 or so for the K. Thanks!

Retsudo

^Mine arrived today. Its heavy and gorgeous as fuck. Now playing the waiting game on the Ram dimms so i can turn this thing on and have some fun with it.

Mr Swine

Banned
Is it worth to go with a i7 7700k over a i7 6700k for games when the price difference is nearly 800sek ($90) and I really don't plan to OC it?

kennah

Huh, there is an actual speed difference...thought the only difference was that the K was unlocked. That does change things a smidge, plus it's only another $35 or so for the K. Thanks!

Yeah, that's why i recommend the i7-K to people even if they don't have overclocking boards. Makes a big big difference at stock.

The other thing you'll need to watch out for is that it doesn't come with a cooler. So that will add a little cost.

So I will be assembling a new pc over the next days. Pretty normal stuff, but there's one little thing...

What's the thermal paste to go these days? I have been using Artic Silver 5 for years and I don't know if there's something better. And speaking of paste, Does it go bad inside the syringe? I still have like 2/3 of one from 2012.

inner-G

Banned
Don't plan on any overclocking. However, aside from gaming, I do video editing (Adobe Premiere) on the side, and the girlfriend's work (she runs a high-end print shop that mainly caters to architectural and engineering firms) regularly has her working on massive plan sets in Illustrator & InDesign. The i7 really helps out here over an i5, especially for my video work.
Premiere is about the only CC app that will take much advantage of the i7

Many CC apps only use a single core, that's why stuff like Photoshop will run faster on an i7 iMac than a more expensive Mac Pro which has more, but slower cores

The i7's higher clock speed will help in all apps, make sure to get an nVidia GPU so Premiere can take advantage of the CUDA acceleration

LilJoka

So I will be assembling a new pc over the next days. Pretty normal stuff, but there's one little thing...

What's the thermal paste to go these days? I have been using Artic Silver 5 for years and I don't know if there's something better. And speaking of paste, Does it go bad inside the syringe? I still have like 2/3 of one from 2012.

I don't think it should go bad if it's been closed with a cap. AS5 is fine, there are newer pastes that spread easier than AS5 and don't need time to cure, but no major gains. You can look at recent thermal paste comparisons for an overview.

mkenyon

Banned
*edit*

I just wanna say that as someone who has told everyone and their mother to avoid buying AMD procs since SandyBridge days, I'm really stoked for Ryzen/AM4. I hope it doesn't let me down, even holding off on my upgrade in case it's decent.
Thinking about getting a 144hz monitor for gaming. Which one do you guys recommend?
Depends on price range, but I think the Dell SG2716 is the best buy right now. It can generally be had for $450-500 if you watch out for codes/deals on slickdeals.

Makes me cringe when I remember that I paid $800 for pretty much the same thing on the RoG Swift, and the Dell is a bit nicer in general. I look forward to going home and staring at it.

Samus4145

Replacing my air cooler with the Corsair H115i for a 7700K. The manual says to have the fans as intake, but I was thinking it should be exhaust? Also should I remove the back exhaust?

In the case I already have a bottom intake and a front intake. It's the Fractal Design R5.

mkenyon

Banned
Replacing my air cooler with the Corsair H115i for a 7700K. The manual says to have the fans as intake, but I was thinking it should be exhaust? Also should I remove the back exhaust?

In the case I already have a bottom intake and a front intake. It's the Fractal Design R5.
Nah, intake.

Positive pressure is super good, you don't really need many fans for exhaust.

zoobzone

When I used the Corsair H100i GTX before the pump failed on me, I had it setup as exhaust but that was because I was mounting the radiator in the front panel.

I imagine if you mount it on the top then it would make sense for it to be an intake fan.

Leonidas

AMD's Dogma: ARyzen (No Intel inside)
Are laptop HDDs quieter than desktop HDDs?

I'm looking to get more storage for my desktop and don't know if I should just get a 5900rpm desktop HDD or a 5400rpm laptop drive.

I want whatever is going to be more silent.

AcAnchoa

Now that I can finally aford it, I'm about to upgrade my computer. It is basically a second-hand Phenom II in a broken motherboard with some crappy RAM. The newest thing I have is an AMD RX460 that I bought this past November to replace a Radeon 6870 that died that same month.

Right now I'm leaning towards an Intel i5 6600k or maybe even a 6700k (plus obvious new motherboard and RAM) with the idea of upgrading the GPU in the future, I'm not gonna cry for playing another few months without the shiniest graphics. I would wait a bit to see how Ryzen finally turns out but I don't really trust the AMD sockets after some problems I've had with this computer.

So, after all this gibberish, my two questions. First, what should I look for in terms of PSU?, I feel really lost with this. And second, my current case is an Antec Three Hundred, does it still hold or would it be a good idea to change it?

Oh boy. Stuff like this is a total PITA. It's probably a DPC latency issue. You likely have some sort of driver interaction going on, but it could be any number of devices. I'd guess that when you installed Win10 initially it probably bumped whatever device it is to a good driver version, and the Linux/Windows switch somehow ended up with something that's not working as well.

Do a google search for "DPC latency", and you should find some troubleshooting guides. You probably want to download a monitor program, find the source of the problem and then hopefully you can find a new driver that works for you.

Either way, if this problem has gone in/out with only software changes, I don't think RMA'ing the card and putting a new one in is going to fix it (but if might). Good luck...

DUDE. I think you saved me. I could not for the life of me ever find the name of this problem. But after getting "DPC Latency" I was able to google the hell out of it. I came across this forum thread: https://forums.geforce.com/default/...en-playing-games-through-gtx-970-hdmi-port/8/

Which recommended that I change a BIOS setting to use PCI-E Gen2 instead of Gen3. The problem seems gone!....But I will have to reboot about a 100 times to be sure.

I have no idea how this would persist with Windows 10 changing, maybe the Gen3 error only occurs via some interaction with a separate driver? Regardless, this definitely gives me a path to try and fix the error if it manifests again. Thanks so much!

kennah

Dang it. I somehow destroyed my network configuration on my FreeNAS server when I moved it from one room/router to another one. Been playing around with it a couple hours now.

Flandy

Is it possible that my on board Lan/Ethernet is dying?
I recently changed ISPs and a result went from 50Mbps to 100Mbps. However my speedtests seem to max out at 75Mbps. I tried a speed test on a pretty low budget laptop and the speed there was about 80-90Mbps. I then also tried a speedtest on a different desktop pc that has a TP-Link Gigabit Ethernet PCI-Express Network Adapter installed and the speed ended up being 115Mbps.

The motherboard on my PC is a Asus P8Z68-V

Could I maybe fix this by grabbing a Ethernet PCIE expansion? Or do I have a setting flipped the wrong way somewhere?

tl;dr Internet is slower via ethernet than it is on a different PC via wifi

Is it possible that my on board Lan/Ethernet is dying?
I recently changed ISPs and a result went from 50Mbps to 100Mbps. However my speedtests seem to max out at 75Mbps. I tried a speed test on a pretty low budget laptop and the speed there was about 80-90Mbps. I then also tried a speedtest on a different desktop pc that has a TP-Link Gigabit Ethernet PCI-Express Network Adapter installed and the speed ended up being 115Mbps.

The motherboard on my PC is a Asus P8Z68-V

Could I maybe fix this by grabbing a Ethernet PCIE expansion? Or do I have a setting flipped the wrong way somewhere?

tl;dr Internet is slower via ethernet than it is on a different PC via wifi

Quick question: How old is/are the ethernet cable(s) you're using?

I tried a brand new cable along with an old one and they were exactly the same

Alright then. While I suspect your port wouldn't be outright dying - after all, it did gain some download speed - it might be that it possesses some kind of bottleneck, for whatever reason. The ethernet card isn't exactly expensive so might as well try it.

Or, perhaps take the one from the other PC, put it into you presumably main desktop, see if that affects things?

Edit:
so would a 960 to 1060 or rx480 be a worth it upgrade? or is it better to wait it out for awhile?

Either would be a pretty substantial upgrade, and would personally recommend.

styl3s

Is it worth the time to put in sound dampening foam? A friend ordered too much and gave me his excess pads for my new build and i am wondering if it's just a waste of time

molnizzle

I'll ask again: what's the best all-in-one 280mm CPU cooler?

I just moved all my shit into my new case, getting ready to order.

Bloodember

I'll ask again: what's the best all-in-one 280mm CPU cooler?

I just moved all my shit into my new case, getting ready to order.
The NZXT x61 or x62 are excellent. Corsair makes good ones also. If you want to be able to add to it Swiftect makes one also. Just do a google search for 280mm AIO reviews if you want more. I use a NZXT X61 with Noctua fans.

Kalentan

Hm... yeah, then you're in a bit of a bind. My most nominal alternative would have been grabbing an i3 6100 with a compatible motherboard, but that would require DDR4 RAM as well, which would put you quite close to the budget limit if not over it.

Sorry a late response but is it okay if I go and order that Motherboard then?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BI0X6KQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It's actually even on sale for $50 right now.

Is it worth the time to put in sound dampening foam? A friend ordered too much and gave me his excess pads for my new build and i am wondering if it's just a waste of time

In my experience getting sound dampening working correctly is a huge pain, but that's in an actual studio / theater environment rather than a PC. Sound is one of those things that "always finds a way".

So it will probably help, but don't expect anything amazing unless you spend way too much time and money on it.

Flandy

Alright then. While I suspect your port wouldn't be outright dying - after all, it did gain some download speed - it might be that it possesses some kind of bottleneck, for whatever reason. The ethernet card isn't exactly expensive so might as well try it.

Or, perhaps take the one from the other PC, put it into you presumably main desktop, see if that affects things?

Edit:

Either would be a pretty substantial upgrade, and would personally recommend.

Fixed it!
5959753661.png

Had to change my speed from 100Mbps to 1Gbps. Had some issues switching but it's finally working now

plainr_

Guys, what is the best mini-itx motherboard right now? Are 64GB of memory now possible for this size?

I'm only just getting back to the pc game after taking a break for 2 years and it is overwhelming.

My last itx build was a 3570k/Titan in a Silverstone SG05B case.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
My issue is the following. i have my 5930K OC to 4.5Ghz and everything is fine for multitreaded applications and benchmarks. However, when it comes to single threaded benchmakrs, I get lower scores than i should be getting and, upon monitoring the CPU, looks like the clock won't go higher than 3.5Ghz during the test and will mostly stay at a bit lower then 2.9Ghz. What is the cause of this?

Thanks!

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Could someone build an RX 480 rig around these parts I have? Just looking for something cheap and functional for my nephew.

- Cougar Case QBX (Mini-ITX)
- 3x WD Blue 256GB SSD
- 750 Watt PSU
- Windows 10 Pro

I also have a Xeon E3-1230v2, but I'm not sure if that would be usable here. I currently have it listed on eBay to fund parts.

LilJoka

When I used the Corsair H100i GTX before the pump failed on me, I had it setup as exhaust but that was because I was mounting the radiator in the front panel.

I imagine if you mount it on the top then it would make sense for it to be an intake fan.

You've got this the wrong way around
Top and rear would be setup as exhaust
Front would be setup as intake

Intake has the advantage of cooling rad with cool air from outside, but disadvantage is the case temp rises so GPU temp is higher.

Exhaust has the advantage that case temps are lower but the warm air in the case passes over the rad meaning CPU temps are higher.

Bought a Dell S2716DG today for 144hz and gsync, but have to return it because it has horrible text ghosting on it. Why haven't very many people mentioned this? Back to my 4K IPS at 60hz.

I seem to have finally fixed the issues I was having. It kept having issues booting up after restarting, I think it was trying to boot from my secondary hard drive and rebooting non-stop until I manually set the boot order.

Turned out the issue was my old USB 3.0 harddrive that seemed to be failing. It was bogging down my whole computer, causing Explorer to freeze until I unplugged it.

Got a replacement drive, transfered everything to it, and now everything seems to be back to normal.

Crazy how a USB HDD could cause so many issues.

Sorry a late response but is it okay if I go and order that Motherboard then?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BI0X6KQ/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It's actually even on sale for $50 right now.

I'd say go for it then, but do bear in mind this won't exactly grant you the highest of performance even now. Depending on what GPU you have, it may just edge into 60 FPS at High settings territory for some games, but it's not going to last for consistent performance.

Fixed it!
5959753661.png

Had to change my speed from 100Mbps to 1Gbps. Had some issues switching but it's finally working now

Huh, so settings based bottleneck? Glad you got it fixed.

Could someone build an RX 480 rig around these parts I have? Just looking for something cheap and functional for my nephew.

- Cougar Case QBX (Mini-ITX)
- 3x WD Blue 256GB SSD
- 750 Watt PSU
- Windows 10 Pro

I also have a Xeon E3-1230v2, but I'm not sure if that would be usable here. I currently have it listed on eBay to fund parts.

For reference, you looking to shop around in dollars? Any particular budget?

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
For reference, you looking to shop around in dollars? Any particular budget?

Cheaper is better, although if any parts are worth the extra money, then
I'd like to know. In particular, I'm not well-versed with motherboards.
(Also US dollars if that's what you meant)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom