• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megauap

My monitor has both HDMI and DisplayPort inputs. Is there any advantage using DisplayPort over HDMI? The monitor's resolution is 1440p.

Celcius

°Temp. member
New 1TB Samsung 960 Evo showed up from newegg today:

WR25t9M.jpg

and I even paid for 2-day shipping :(
It's going back, not even going to open it.

DJ_Lae

What a cruel twist of fate - had all my parts ordered (most have arrived), although the case was delayed by a full month (white interior Phanteks Primo) and yesterday my main monitor died.

Blech. Part of me was tempted to go with a cheaper case (probably just an R5) so I didn't have to wait a month to build, but now I'll pretty much have to so I can replace that monitor.

I'm excited, though.

New 1TB Samsung 960 Evo showed up from newegg today:

9ZDI4de.jpg

and I even paid for 2-day shipping :(
It's going back, not even going to open it.

Damn, looks like they dropped it, maybe stepped on it, and then just picked it back up and shrugged. That sucks.

My monitor has both HDMI and DisplayPort inputs. Is there any advantage using DisplayPort over HDMI? The monitor's resolution is 1440p.

DisplayPort has greater video bandwidth, which is useful for high refresh rate or ultra high resolution monitors. HDMI 1.4 will manage 1440p at over 60 Hz, which I imagine is the refresh rate of your monitor, so yeah, it's fine.

Kalentan

I'd say go for it then, but do bear in mind this won't exactly grant you the highest of performance even now. Depending on what GPU you have, it may just edge into 60 FPS at High settings territory for some games, but it's not going to last for consistent performance.

Huh, so settings based bottleneck? Glad you got it fixed.

For reference, you looking to shop around in dollars? Any particular budget?

Okay just before I go in...

How about the

MSI Computer ATX DDR3 1066 NA 970A SLI KRAIT EDITION Motherboard

Cause I see that's $85...

I'm terrible at telling the difference but is the $35 difference worth it?

Deep Crow

Neo Member
So I am in the market to build a new PC in the near future, and I am looking at the new Kaby Lake processors. If I am interested in gaming, but not things like video editing, is there any reason to pay the additional $100+ for an i7 7700K vs an i5 7600K?

From what I can tell it sounds like both will perform near-identical for games, unless there's something I am missing...

So I am in the market to build a new PC in the near future, and I am looking at the new Kaby Lake processors. If I am interested in gaming, but not things like video editing, is there any reason to pay the additional $100+ for an i7 7700K vs an i5 7600K?

From what I can tell it sounds like both will perform near-identical for games, unless there's something I am missing...

The chief reason would be for playing at higher resolutions and framerates more consistently, paired with a high end GPU capable of such. If you're looking mainly to do 1080p@60, then the 7600k is plenty.

Pachimari

120mm fans are the most common I think. But it depends on your case. Have you measured what size the old ones or gaps were? For me I just pick whatever is cheap and not too gaudy but I know you can spend a lot on premium ones. They're quite easy to just slot into pins that are usually located around your mother board. I suppose you might want to look at your motherboard manual to see where you can place them before purchasing.

I went for a fractal design 140mm fan to team up with the existing case fans in my recent build (the case fans also being fractal). My reasoning is that they compared to an equivalent 120mm fan can push through the same volume of air at a lower speed, with less noise, ceteris paribus.

The fractal fans are well regarded too and not too pricey. I used noctua anti vibration fan mounts to install them too.
I got a Fractal Design Define R4 case.

So is it necessary with a 120mm fan, or can I go with this 140mm Fractal variant?

It might give you a boost for Frostbite games, but if you can wait a month and a half, you can see if AMD's Ryzen is good enough to be a cheaper viable option.

Deep Crow

Neo Member
The chief reason would be for playing at higher resolutions and framerates more consistently, paired with a high end GPU capable of such. If you're looking mainly to do 1080p@60, then the 7600k is plenty.

It might give you a boost for Frostbite games, but if you can wait a month and a half, you can see if AMD's Ryzen is good enough to be a cheaper viable option.

Gotcha. having the option to more easily scale up resolutions down the line sounds decent. Will be curious to see how Ryzen turns out too -- historically I've always gone the Intel route.

Kito

I'm drafting a PC build (my first ever PC build) and I've got everything down except the GPU. The version numbers confuse me. I would've thought GTX 1050 is better than GTX 970. Why are some of the latest releases weaker? What is the best GPU I can get under £200 for an i7-6700k?

I'm drafting a PC build (my first ever PC build) and I've got everything down except the GPU. The version numbers confuse me. I would've thought GTX 1050 is better than GTX 970. Why are some of the latest releases weaker? What is the best GPU I can get under £200 for an i7-6700k?

IIRC as a very rough rule of thumb, for a given GPU line up, the likes of 1070 beats 980, 1060 beats 970, 1050 beats 960. Just because a GPU is a 1000 series doesn't mean it beats everything/almost everything from the 900 series.

But there are times when new generations might just be a refresh of last gen, or when there's a huge leap from one generation to the next when what I said above doesn't apply.

Check out the 1050 and 1060 3gb lines from Nvidia, and the RX 470 and RX 480 4gb lines from AMD. I spent £240 on a 1060 6GB so that will likely be out of budget. What resolution are you running/settings are you going for?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Upgrades installed!

L5kT284.jpg

I finally went ahead and installed my new hardware today:
i7 7700k Kaby Lake cpu
Asus Maximus IX Hero motherboard
16gb G.Skill RipJawsV 3200mhz ram

At first I was kinda bummed out by my ssd getting smashed in the mail but decided to just go ahead and keep the ssd's I already have for now. I really like the look of the new hardware and it feels great to finally be off of the 2600k / z68 platform. I can't wait to run some benches, do some overclocking, etc... but will be out of town this weekend so it'll have to wait until next week. But feels good to finally upgrade :)

Then next week I'll also probably make some more progress on build #2 which is to reuse my old components (i7 2600k, 16gb g.skill ripjawsX 2133mhz, asus p8z68v pro gen3) in an office build for my parents.

I don't think it should go bad if it's been closed with a cap. AS5 is fine, there are newer pastes that spread easier than AS5 and don't need time to cure, but no major gains. You can look at recent thermal paste comparisons for an overview.

Nevermind. Apparently I had a full unused syringe and stored inside a ziplock bag, so it should be good.

Right now:

- Aorus Gaming-5 (LGA 1151)
- Intel i5 6600K
- Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2400 PC4-19200 8GB CL16
- Corsair Hydro Series H60
- Corsair Carbide 400C White

It's mostly a computer on a budget, recycling my GPU, HDD and PSU from my current dying rig. I don't neet an i7 since I am not that much of an enthusiast gamer and I only work with Photoshop and Lightroom. I intend to add more ram in a future, but for not I had to keep it into a minimum. The cooler is probably overkill since I won't be overclocking, , but I did not want a tower cooler covering half of the motherboard. It's a pretty one, after all. Also a GTX1060 in a future.

The real problem I'm having is finding an LGA 1155 socket motherboard for reviving my current computer and relegating it to backup / living room media center / streaming Steam to it).

Pakoe

I was looking at GPUs, and I found that there is a GTX 1080 Gaming and a Gaming X.
Besides the difference in memoryspeed there isn't much to notice. It does save me around 150 euros though.
Anyone have some info on this?

Megauap

DisplayPort has greater video bandwidth, which is useful for high refresh rate or ultra high resolution monitors. HDMI 1.4 will manage 1440p at over 60 Hz, which I imagine is the refresh rate of your monitor, so yeah, it's fine.

Perfect, thanks for the information. Will probably just get a DisplayPort cable, this way I will already have one for the future.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Just ordered my first PC !!!! Any opinions/ complains about my decisions?

• Processor: Core™ i7-7700K
• Mainboard: Z270 Asus MAXIMUS IX CODE
• GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 Asus STRIX OC GAMING
• RAM: DIMM 16 GB DDR4-3200 Trident Z
• SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 2,5" 512 GB
• CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 4 PCGH-Edition
• Power Supply: Seasonic G-Series G-550W PCGH-Edition
• CD Drive: Asus DRW-24D5MT
• PC Case: Fractal Define R5 PCGH Edition
• Windows 10 Home 64bit

Price: 2050 €

Also, is there any real reason to go for a M.2 SSD if I'm not moving Terabytes of movies back and forth?

Pakoe

Åesop;228244081 said:

• CPU Cooler: Mugen 4 PCGH-Edition
• Power Supply: G-Series G-550W PCGH-Edition
• Windows 10 Home 64bit

Also, is there any real reason to go for a M.2 SSD if I'm not moving Terabytes of movies back and forth?

There is one major thing;
who uses DVD's nowadays?

Widge

Has anyone here watercooled CPU and GPU in a case like the Fractal Node 202?

I'm feeling that when I get to upgrade time on my 3570k, I want to make the step into unknown territory for me. Be delightful to get a silent running htpc style system.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
There is one major thing;
who uses DVD's nowadays?

I know.. ( ͡ ° ͜ʖ ͡°) But maybe It will be useful for some old CDs. It was just 15€. Didn't feel like picking a Bluray drive, since no one uses that either and its like ~70 €

ISee

Åesop;228244081 said:

• Windows 10 Home 64bit

M2. SSDs are great but not really needed in normal day gaming/office scenarios. Also the scythe mugen is a great choice for a CPU cooler. I'm still tocking my old mugen 2 (on a 6700k currently). Are you btw buying from pcgh.de?

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Are you btw buying from pcgh.de?

You can't really buy from PCGH, since they are just a Hadware/ Gaming Magazine. But sometimes they collaborate with a few manufacturers to customize and improve some products. Those are then sold on Alternate.de, which is where I got my parts from.

Vipu

Banned
Åesop;228244081 said:

• Windows 10 Home 64bit

Are those parts really that expensive??
I would have though that have at least gtx1080 or screen.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
Are those parts really that expensive??
I would have though that have at least gtx1080 or screen.

Hardware in germany is expensive :/ Also that brand new Mainboard I picked isn't really helping the price

Arex

Åesop;228244081 said:

• Windows 10 Home 64bit

I got a feeling that with those components you can size down to mATX or even mITX case like the Define Mini C, Nano S or Evolv mATX, and external drive. I think Evolv mATX has extra 5.25" bay in the back if you need one.

Not that I'm dissatisfied with my own R5, it's great case, but man it's big and heavy lol.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
I got a feeling that with those components you can size down to mATX or even mITX case like the Define Mini C, Nano S or Evolv mATX, and external drive. I think Evolv mATX has extra 5.25" bay in the back if you need one.

Not that I'm dissatisfied with my own R5, it's great case, but man it's big and heavy lol.

I thought that too at first, but I wanted to have something future-proof, that I can still use for upgrades in 5 years.

Arex

Åesop;228252277 said:
I thought that too at first, but I wanted to have something future-proof, that I can still use for upgrades in 5 years.

Just curious, what kind of upgrades do you foresee doing in 5 years?

For me, I thought about future proofing too when deciding to get the R5, but now that I think again, I probably won't ever go SLI/crossfire lol, so my ATX mobo is kinda wasted haha, for me the only limiting factor in going mITX next is the 2 RAM slots and 1 PCIex16 slot (mATX still has 4 and 2) and generally the lack of motherboard options.

So in my case, for the future build, mATX probably is enough. Just need a case that has a couple of 3.5" bays for my bigger HDDs as nowadays the mobos themselves usually have at least 2 M.2 slots for SSD :p

DJ_Lae

I'm regretting not ordering all my parts at once, as I've steadily chipped away at my budget and now realize that I'm going to need another SSD to replace my existing 850 as it'll go to my wife (or, more realistically, I'll just buy a newer ~250GB one for her and keep the 500GB drive). I'm going to repack my old parts into a computer for her to replace her aging Air with a broken screen, as she's tied to a desk with it anyway and a 3570K/7970 will be a massive improvement.

I already had the power supply lying around (I like to keep a spare, even though it's largely unnecessary) but it's probably overkill for what I'll ever do to this PC:

-i7 7700K
-Corsair H100i V2
-ASUS ROG 270E
-16GB Corsair Vengeance
-ASUS STRIX OC 1070
-500GB Samsung 850 Evo
-2TB WD Black
-EVGA Supernova G2 750w
-Fractal Design R5 (black, windowed)

I still want the Phanteks Primo, but I had to back off there to help pay for a new monitor, and even going with the white R5 would have cost an extra $70 as it never goes on sale.

I have all the parts now but the case and cooler, which are on their way. Unfortunately no Memory Express here had any in stock so I couldn't just drive over and buy one. So I'll just twiddle my thumbs with the 1070 in my old PC until I can assemble everything properly.

Retsudo

Anyone with experience in getting stuff from amazon uk, but sent from Germany? The final piece for my build, should've been delivered yesterday ( i even have prime), but apparently is somewhere that no one quite knows. German tracking sites only show activity up to tuesday, and the british ones nothing past monday. :(

hoserx

I just built a pc with this case and I love it. I'm not going to be able to answer your question because I have both my gpu and CPU water cooled, but this case gave me a lot of options. I was able to fit a 240 and a 120 radiator in there.

I've been meaning to post some pictures. One of these days...

I remember seeing you in the Best Buy EBay GTX1080 pricing error thread. I think you got one right? Pricing errors have been good to you if that's the case. Congrats on those SSD's. That's an unbelievably good deal

I went with the asrock fatality itx because it's packed with features for the price. So far it's been very solid but I want that new asus strix with the m.2 cooler on the front. Those things run hot and I don't want to put one on the back of my case.

And the color scheme of the strix would go perfect with my black tubing and black nickel fittings plus my black acetal blocks

Lol, yes that was me. I got the $449 GTX 1080 at Best Buy. Both deals required some work, and a LOT of luck :p

DagsJT

Not sure where's best to ask this so hoping this thread might help.

I'm considering selling my PC and getting a laptop instead but haven't got a clue how much to ask for my PC. Specs are below:

CPU: i5-3570k
CPU Cooler: Alpenföhn Matterhorn Pure Edition
RAM: Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 1600MHz Dual Channel Kit
GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 Superclocked
HDD(s): Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD, 500GB HDD, 1TB HDD
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming
PSU - XFX 850W XXX Edition Modular '80 Plus Silver'
Case: Corsair Carbide 200R Compact ATX
Speakers: Edifier R1600t
Controller: Xbox 360 wired

Any idea on how much to ask for? The GPU was only bought in September so is also still under warranty. I'm based in the UK.

Has anyone here watercooled CPU and GPU in a case like the Fractal Node 202?

I'm feeling that when I get to upgrade time on my 3570k, I want to make the step into unknown territory for me. Be delightful to get a silent running htpc style system.

Small case + hot components is generally not going to be low noise. Liquid cooling is not necessarily any more quiet than air. Mainly it just gives you more options for moving the heat around. For a quiet running system you either need low power, or large heatsink area to dissipate the heat with minimal airflow.

Upgrades installed!

L5kT284.jpg

I finally went ahead and installed my new hardware today:
i7 7700k Kaby Lake cpu
Asus Maximus IX Hero motherboard
16gb G.Skill RipJawsV 3200mhz ram

At first I was kinda bummed out by my ssd getting smashed in the mail but decided to just go ahead and keep the ssd's I already have for now. I really like the look of the new hardware and it feels great to finally be off of the 2600k / z68 platform. I can't wait to run some benches, do some overclocking, etc... but will be out of town this weekend so it'll have to wait until next week. But feels good to finally upgrade :)

Then next week I'll also probably make some more progress on build #2 which is to reuse my old components (i7 2600k, 16gb g.skill ripjawsX 2133mhz, asus p8z68v pro gen3) in an office build for my parents.

Which Noctua cooler is that? Was the RAM height a big issue? Looking at the Corsair Dominator type of RAM and don't know if that would be too tall for that cooler to clear with fans on.

The Noctua one I was looking at was the NH-D15

Gigglepop

Banned
Which Noctua cooler is that? Was the RAM height a big issue? Looking at the Corsair Dominator type of RAM and don't know if that would be too tall for that cooler to clear with fans on.

Its either a nh-d14 or nh-d15

Ram compatability:http://noctua.at/en/nh-d14?rcomp=1

Any standard size works fine, I use ripjaws x and he is also using ripjaws. Those huge heatspreaders are for looks and don't serve a real purpose.

The d15 has slightly better compatibility because it has a slot cut out on the ram side.

Its either a nh-d14 or nh-d15

Ram compatability:http://noctua.at/en/nh-d14?rcomp=1

Any standard size works fine, I use ripjaws x and he is also using ripjaws. Those huge heatspreaders are for looks and don't serve a real purpose.

It's a NH-D14.

th3dude

Åesop;228245189 said:
I know.. ( ͡ ° ͜ʖ ͡°) But maybe It will be useful for some old CDs. It was just 15€. Didn't feel like picking a Bluray drive, since no one uses that either and its like ~70 €

You could always get a cheap USB DVD drive. About $20-$25 US and you can just put it away until you need it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Question guys - sometimes when running a program on my new system, I can still move my mouse around but everything else on the desktop seems to be hanged and I'll have to reboot. I'm running at stock speeds. Any advice? I just ran Prime 95 for an hour on blend with no issues. Once in my bios it also froze.

It's the NH-D14 and ram height wasn't an issue, but my ram doesn't have huge fins.

Question guys - sometimes when running a program on my new system, I can still move my mouse around but everything else on the desktop seems to be hanged and I'll have to reboot. I'm running at stock speeds. Any advice? I just ran Prime 95 for an hour on blend with no issues. Once in my bios it also froze.

It's the NH-D14 and ram height wasn't an issue, but my ram doesn't have huge fins.

thanks...I switched my parts list for RAM to the Vengeance LPX since they are low profile (and I wouldn't be able to see the RAM in the system anyway with the cooler fans on)

LilJoka

Why dominators? It's the most overpriced ram.
Get some G.Skill Trident Z if you want premium ram for decent price.

Corsair vengeance work just as good though.

LilJoka

I switched my list to the Vengeance ones

thought the Trident Z fell into the category of too tall?

Yeah it's a bit of a "risk", mostly depends on how far the DIMMs are from the CPU socket. Usually it'll be the fan that'll just need raising a little rather than causing the actual heatsink not to fit.
Corsair LPX is a good safe option.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom