• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weevilone

I'm scratching my head.

After all my 16GB testing was done, I found that I could run 3600@16-16-16-36 with the CPU at 5GHz.. I put all 4 sticks back in, rebooted, and it POST.. went into Windows.

I went ahead and stress tested a bit and it seems rock solid with 32GB at those same parameters. Still tweaking..

Which one, the Asus doesn't come out till February.

impatiently waiting for it to release already

That one actually looks great, but appears to be out of stock everywhere? That sucks.

I can vouche for the asrock iTX boards. I have a z170 fatality and it's been a great board. I have extended return period so I'm going to return to amazon and get the Asus z270i mainly because of the m.2 port on the front of the MB

Which one, the Asus doesn't come out till February.
The Asrock Fat1lity Z270 Gaming-ITX/AC one you turned me on to, it looks like exactly what I was looking for, but it's out of stock on all of the pcpartpick listed vendors it looks like. I have ordered everything else, but still need to order the motherboard.

Any other reputable places you all like to order from that I can check?

Help me out fam, I'm dying out here with how much space my Windows folder is taking up. It's at least 52 GB, compressed it's down to 26 or so. Granted, a 256 GB SSD isn't the biggest thing in the world but I thought I'd have more space for just Hitman, The Division, FEAR, and a few smaller games.

Any good space saving corner cutting?

help me

Kudo

Wonder if this is ok to post here but, I'm looking to save some money and maybe help somebody while doing so?
For people buying computers right now MSI is having a campaign for For Honor keys if you buy motherboard listed on the campaign site: https://www.msi.com/Promotion/for-honor-bundle-motherboard
I don't know for how much the keys go but I can pay at least $20, so if you're buying computer in near future with one of those mobos and no interest in the game, let me know.

Wonder if this is ok to post here but, I'm looking to save some money and maybe help somebody while doing so?
For people buying computers right now MSI is having a campaign for For Honor keys if you buy motherboard listed on the campaign site: https://www.msi.com/Promotion/for-honor-bundle-motherboard
I don't know for how much the keys go but I can pay at least $20, so if you're buying computer in near future with one of those mobos and no interest in the game, let me know.

I'd be buying an MSI board from that list if I can get a PC built in the next few weeks...everything depends on how money goes

If I do I'll get in contact with you

Jamaro85

Anybody got opinions on Microcenter open box components?

Can get:

i5-7600k for $183.96 ($229.99 reg)
ASUS PRIME Z270-AR for $127.96 ($159.99 reg)

Been reading generally good things about MC open box. Supposedly they test everything first and put it on the shelf if it works, otherwise sending it back. There's still the 15 day return policy and the manufacturer's warranty. I'm just trying to think of worst case scenarios with issues that may not show themselves until after the 15 day return period. I've owned an engineering sample of an XM processor in the past so I figure an open box CPU couldn't be any worse than that (not setting the bar very high here though).

longdi

Banned
Yeah. I think I could save a little by going with the STRIX Z270E GAMING. A plus it having built in bluetooth. I have bluetooth headphones. If you guys think I could go even lower and get one with it I'd go for it.

At most I'll OC to 4.6 and leave it there for eternity. Just looking at the stuff I'm doing and I don't think I need to ever go above that.

Things will be even cheaper since a lot of these parts are into combos. I'll save a few here and there.

My 2500k at 4.4ghz is putting in work for me right now. Doing everything I need it to. Been years since I really upgraded so now is just a good time.

Hi Lady Kadey, long time i didnt see you post.

2500K@4.4 to 7700K@4.6 is a good upgrade.
However i will wait for Ryzen 8 cores to see how it performs and how Intel reacts. Its coming Feb or Mar last i heard.

Imo going from 4 cores to 6/8 cores is more satisfying. :D

Weevilone

Anybody got opinions on Microcenter open box components?

Can get:

i5-7600k for $183.96 ($229.99 reg)
ASUS PRIME Z270-AR for $127.96 ($159.99 reg)

Been reading generally good things about MC open box. Supposedly they test everything first and put it on the shelf if it works, otherwise sending it back. There's still the 15 day return policy and the manufacturer's warranty. I'm just trying to think of worst case scenarios with issues that may not show themselves until after the 15 day return period. I've owned an engineering sample of an XM processor in the past so I figure an open box CPU couldn't be any worse than that (not setting the bar very high here though).

The CPU won't overclock well, or will have a shitty IMC.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm reading up on things and it seems the only air coolers that could fit in it doesn't seem up to standards. Might have to go liquid cooling unless I can find something.

Read up on that Noctua review and it doesn't sound too good. This is the pains of PC building.

LilJoka

I'm reading up on things and it seems the only air coolers that could fit in it doesn't seem up to standards. Might have to go liquid cooling unless I can find something.

Read up on that Noctua review and it doesn't sound too good. This is the pains of PC building.

If we are worried about cooling, another case to consider would be the phanteks evolv lineup. You would be able to fit traditional parts in that.
Again I would be going matx here, or ITX if only a single PCIE is needed.

SZips

what's this hate people have against the 212 lol?

for £30 it's excellent value. do other fans really cool much better for less?

It's not that the 212 is bad or has gotten worse over the years, it's just that it hasn't really improved. It's still as good a cooler now as it was a few years back. The thing is, competition has come along and surpassed it in a couple of small ways for around the same price.

The differences are mostly minimal between something like the 212 and an Cryorig H7. The biggest things you'll probably notice are the ease of install with other coolers and less noise with the included fans. The temperature differences between the 212 and something like the H7 are about 2-3 degrees (from what I've seen). Of course, there are a ton of variables there, including what CPU it's used on, the thermal paste used, whether the CPU is overclocked, etc.

That said, my friend and I both bought 212's for our recent i7-6700k builds. Temps on my machine are idle around mid to low 20s, with full load temps hitting roughly the mid-70s (prime95 small FFT for example gave me 77, 79, 72, and 73 across my physical cores). If I had to do it again right now? I'd probably get something like the H7 if only for how damn annoying it is to install the 212. I had a 212 on my i5-2500k and you'd think I'd have remembered how much it sucked to install, but nope. At the very least, I won't have to remove it now for quite some time.

So my worst nightmare finally happened. My liquid cooler leaked and fried my 1070. It will turn on and boot into Windows but I get no picture. Don't know the state of the CPU (I mean that's what's underneath the cooler).

Don't know what to do. I bought it as package but have replaced the GPU. So the part that's damaged isn't from the same retailer.

The retailer referred me to the manufacturer of the cooling system (Deepcool), and they do not answer.

Sucks so much, feels that if I eventually will compensated for this it will be like a month before I have a working PC again.

What standard are you referring to?

Vipu

Banned
So my worst nightmare finally happened. My liquid cooler leaked and fried my 1070. It will turn on and boot into Windows but I get no picture. Don't know the state of the CPU (I mean that's what's underneath the cooler).

Don't know what to do. I bought it as package but have replaced the GPU. So the part that's damaged isn't from the same retailer.

The retailer referred me to the manufacturer of the cooling system (Deepcool), and they do not answer.

Sucks so much, feels that if I eventually will compensated for this it will be like a month before I have a working PC again.

Custom liquid cooler or not?
There must be some kind of warranty for those ready made liquid coolers if they leak just like that to replace whatever it broke?
If there isnt then even less reason to get liquid cooling for me.

LilJoka

Deepcool needs to sort this out. Corsair have gone and replaced parts when their AIOs leaked and took down parts.
The retailer can't help here.

Custom liquid cooler or not?
There must be some kind of warranty for those ready made liquid coolers if they leak just like that to replace whatever it broke?
If there isnt then even less reason to get liquid cooling for me.
It's ready made, roughly 5 months old and I've done nothing to make it deteriorate. Haven't even moved my PC since I got it.

I sure hope they will get back to me soon. I would buy a new GPU and hope that my CPU is alright, but it's scary if I don't know that I will be reimbursed for it.

I know that I'll never go with a liquid cooler again though! Not worth it!

LilJoka

It's ready made, roughly 5 months old and I've done nothing to make it deteriorate. Haven't even moved my PC since I got it.

I sure hope they will get back to me soon. I would buy a new GPU and hope that my CPU is alright, but it's scary if I don't know that I will be reimbursed for it.

I know that I'll never go with a liquid cooler again though! Not worth it!

May I ask where did it leak from? And how much fluid ended up escaping - are we talking puddles?
It's the weekend so hold tight till tomorrow.

What standard are you referring to?

I think she means that the air coolers that will fit are too much of a compromise on cooling performance for a 7700K.

It's propylene glycol, which shouldn't cause any permanents damage to electrical components.

Shouldn't and can't are two different things though.
If it's dry, is it safe to plug it in and try?

Or should I try to remove the residue? Feel a bit uncomfortable with opening it up and poking around.

kuYuri

My PC has started to randomly restart without errors or BSODs lately. Started about three days ago. It seems to happen while gaming, so basically when it's under load. Temps seem normal, nothing out of the ordinary I think. I have nothing overclocked outside of my Strix 1080 OC mode turned on from the manufacturer's GPUTweak software. I did purchase a power supply beginning of December to replace my aging bronze one and I'm thinking that's the culprit. Anyway to monitor power supply graphs through MSI Afterburner? It's a Corsair RMx 650W.

Specs of my PC: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/nwWkzM

EDIT: Seems the 24 pin motherboard cable got slightly loose somehow. I pushed it in there tighter this time and will continue to see if it continues to restart.

Kneefoil

I've got a bit of a problem. I got a new GPU today, but I can't seem to be able to remove one of the screws that's keeping my old GPU attached: it's simply screwed too tight. Any ideas how I could safely loosen it up a bit?

It has to go, if I ever wanna stick my new GPU in there.

EDIT: NVM, I finally got it out after much struggle.

JCH!

Guys, do you think upgrading from a GTX980 to a GTX1080Ti when it releases is a good idea with Volta being so close?

I have a 1440p/144hz monitor and the old 980 just isn't cutting it anymore.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Guys, do you think upgrading from a GTX980 to a GTX1080Ti when it releases is a good idea with Volta being so close?

I have a 1440p/144hz monitor and the old 980 just isn't cutting it anymore.

That should be a good upgrade and no one knows when Volta will release - some rumors say 2018.

On my old Haswell PC I used a Noctua NHD14 cooler (slightly smaller than the one you want) and I took off the front fan and only kept a middle
One. I also replaced the middle fan with the "redux" version which was higher speed In case I needed better cooling. You can go with something like this. It's smaller and you have more options with fans imo

https://imgur.com/a/ernwE

I gave this pc to my mom and now I have an iTX so I have one or two of those redux fans that I'll never use because I love small form factor. Let me know if you are interested.

Vipu

Banned
What is "good" 120gb SSD.
It just needs to be fine with speed, RELIABLE, normal/cheap price

Is hyperX fury bad? I checked a bit and seems few people said they get bluescreens etc with it.

Kito

Replaced my X41 Kraken stock fan with Noctua redux. However, in both HWMonitor and CAM I read an RPM that occasionally spikes for a second. I can't remember if my stock fan did this... Are unstable fans a thing?

Primus

Ugh, the lack of availability on the Samsung 960 PRO M.2 512GB SSD is killing me. My Federal tax refund gets deposited on Wednesday, and I was going to start buying the parts for my new rig but no one's got these and no one's got actual dates for stock.

Kito

Ugh, the lack of availability on the Samsung 960 PRO M.2 512GB SSD is killing me. My Federal tax refund gets deposited on Wednesday, and I was going to start buying the parts for my new rig but no one's got these and no one's got actual dates for stock.

In stock at scan.co.uk - call for a quote on international ship cost.

Bloodember

If your not going to be moving large files or anything else that needs that speed, just get an Intel 600p or even the 960 EVO. You won't notice the speed difference in day to day operations or even playing games.

Primus

In stock at scan.co.uk - call for a quote on international ship cost.

Appreciate the link, but that's almost $100 more without factoring in shipping. Budget can't handle that.

If your not going to be moving large files or anything else that needs that speed, just get an Intel 600p or even the 960 EVO. You won't notice the speed difference in day to day operations or even playing games.

It's going to get heavy Photoshop/Illustrator/InDesign/Premiere use along with gaming, every ounce of disk speed matters.

Celcius

°Temp. member

You could go ahead and put in a order on amazon.com but continue looking.
That way if they get some in stock then you're already in line, but if someone else gets some then you can easily cancel since Amazon doesn't charge until you ship. That's how I got my 1TB 960 Pro (placing an order before the site said they were back in stock).

Kvik

What's your budget looks like? If you can spare another ~$100, the 1TB 960 EVO is a decent alternative. You can read Techreport's excellent review here.

FWIW, I managed to find a unit of 960 PRO 512GB just last week in my city (even though the store website says sold out -- lucky, I guess)

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm going to go with liquid cooling. Practically everyone I have seen so far with the case is using one. Going to get the AIO corsair. Shouldn't be too hard to install. And I'm going to add a rear fan. Other than that I think everything is fine.

I'm going to go with liquid cooling. Practically everyone I have seen so far with the case is using one. Going to get the AIO corsair. Shouldn't be too hard to install. And I'm going to add a rear fan. Other than that I think everything is fine.

Are you going to build in that small Lian Li case? I just checked the previous page and saw your initial post with the parts listed. With that case it's best to see what worked for others. I was under the impression that you were using a standard mid tower case. There was a post recently from someone who built in the Lian Li. I'll try to find it.

I think this is the same case.....it's beautiful. Would have loved to use this case but I wanted to water cool both CPU/GPU so I went with the Fractal Define Nano S

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=225390340&postcount=13976

Been meaning to post a picture of the PC I built a couple of weeks ago. It's so quiet I can't even tell it's on when playing games on it. I've added another radiator to it since I took this pic. I'm thinking about returning the ASrock motherboard and red RAM and buying the new asus strix with black RAM cause the colors would go perfectly with my water cooling parts.

nMra4CU.jpg

Any cool benchmark/demos I can use when the parts arrive to test things out/have fun? I used to love doing that back in the day with the Nvidia demos, but I haven't had a quality video card in ages.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
People are posting the 05. The one I'm getting is the 07 which is the biggest and a mid tower.

Maybe it might not be too bad if I go for a the mini Cryo. And get three replacement case fans and the one rear fan. My PC room itself is super cool. During Winters it's cold and summers I have AC on 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom