• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

aradikus

Yeah, amazing feeling. 1st time I tried to power it on, nothing came on....then I realised didn't switch it on from the back haha.

Was trying to be extra carful to make sure i didn't accidently break or bend any pins.

High five, congratulations and good for you for not being too much of a wuss to build a computer. Seriously, props to you. Enjoy the hell out of your new PC, and welcome to the club. It seems like all I ever see online is "How do I... Why should I... But what if..." so it's refreshing to see somebody say, "I did it and it's done. I love it!"

Bloodember

What do you guys think of this parts list?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($75.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.98 @ B&H)
Total: $500.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-30 18:07 EST-0500
What are you using it for? If for gaming you might want to at least get an i3.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($75.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($53.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($51.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.98 @ B&H)
Total: $500.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-30 18:07 EST-0500

Looks good that graphics card is a little beast for the price so good choice there.

Mozendo

Get the cheapest ram you can get regarldess of speed and brand. Most if not all ram have lifetime warranties, and the MoBo will downclock (is that the right term?) the ram to 2133MHz.
Edit: You might need a bios update, do you have access to a Skylake CPU?

The G4560 is hyperthreaded, the difference with the pentium and the lowest priced i3 is .2 Ghz

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VRCLHYS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

any thoughts on this guys?
itll be my first 1440 monitor and i want 144hz.
im on nvidia so i cant take advantage of freesync but its not a big deal to me.
$500 is my limit so unless someone can direct me to another 1440 144 with gsync i think im going with this.

im running an i5 6500 and a 970 soon to be 1070 if it matters in anyway

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C05C1OK/?tag=neogaf0e-20

theres also this if 1080 144 with gsync would be a better option

It would be a budget gaming PC. Overwatch, CSGO, and AAA games at 1080p on whatever settings provide the best balance between smooth framerate and image quality.

I do not see the need to spend significantly more money on an i3 when the G4560 has hyperthreading.

Bloodember

It would be a budget gaming PC. Overwatch, CSGO, and AAA games at 1080p on whatever settings provide the best balance between smooth framerate and image quality.

I do not see the need to spend significantly more money on an i3 when the G4560 has hyperthreading.
Ok, the pentium should work just fine.

My Titan has served me well for three years now, but I feel like I'm gonna upgrade soon. Should I jump on the 1080ti in a few months or am I better off just waiting for Volta at this point?

I like the EK ZMT tubing you went with, i also chose the same tubing for my build. I'm a big fan of the matte black appearance, and best of all low maintenance required.

They're very nice tubes. I like that the have thick walls so they don't look like they're hanging. Makes them difficult to work with in tighter areas though. Overall I'm very happy with ZMT

Zel3

They're very nice tubes. I like that the have thick walls so they don't look like they're hanging. Makes them difficult to work with in tighter areas though. Overall I'm very happy with ZMT
Oh yeah they're a pain in the ass to route , especially if you're trying to do it in a small areas but the end result looks very nice.

BFIB

I bought an XBox One S, but realized I really didn't need it. I have my PS4 Pro, have a Switch pre-ordered.

My current PC specs are:

Core i5 2500K (OC'ed)
8GB RAM

Would a 480 keep me in the ballpark for the next few years? Thinking of selling the One S to get the 480, then just getting Forza 3 and the other MS exclusives that hit the "play anywhere" end.

I do game on 1080P BTW.

Kito

Would a 480 keep me in the ballpark for the next few years? Thinking of selling the One S to get the 480, then just getting Forza 3 and the other MS exclusives that hit the "play anywhere" end.

I do game on 1080P BTW.

The 480 is perfect for 60FPS/1080p gaming. However, if you want 100+FPS/1440p in the near future, choose something else.

I bought an XBox One S, but realized I really didn't need it. I have my PS4 Pro, have a Switch pre-ordered.

My current PC specs are:

Core i5 2500K (OC'ed)
8GB RAM

I do game on 1080P BTW.

I think selling your Xbox One to get an RX 480 is a great idea. It's a great GPU for 1080p 60fps gaming, so as long as you don't plan on going above that resolution, you should have no issues for at least the next couple of years.

I recently bought a Dell IPS 1440P 27" monitor and tomorrow is the last day I can return it and Im not sure if I should keep it or pay an extra $300 (almost double) for an IPS Gsync monitor.

I know gsync is amazing but I just can't bring myself to spend $750-800 even though I have the money. And I use the monitor for work as well so I definitely want an IPS. Since I'm having such a hard time deciding I'll take any advice you guys can give

My current PC specs are:

Core i5 2500K (OC'ed)
8GB RAM

I do game on 1080P BTW.

Yes! Especially since MS games will be cross platform and the 1060 can handle those games at 1080P

$500 is my limit so unless someone can direct me to another 1440 144 with gsync i think im going with this.

Similar quandary for me, except I'd be going with the Dell Gsync 1440p 24".

i give up with these Dell monitors. i'm wanting a U2515H but each one has something wrong with it. the first one arrived with the screen heavily scratched and some dead pixels. 2nd one arrives with some light marks on the screen but wasn't noticeable with the screen on. no pixel issues but the colour uniformity is terrible. the left side of the screen is far warmer than the right. also it kept displaying some kind of artifacting. i thought it was my drivers or cable but nope. 3rd one scratched heavily again and same uniformity issue. all them bought "new"

i really like the monitor. it's such a huge improvement over my benq 1080p tn monitor but when i'm paying almost £300 i would expect good quality control and high quality panel.

i'll just stick with my 1080p until i'm ready for 4K i guess. so disappointing. i was looking at some other 1440p monitors:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Monitors/AOC-Monitor-Height-Adjust-Display-Speakers-Q2577PWQ/B00WK39NXK/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Monitors/BenQ-GW2765HT-Widescreen-Multimedia-Monitor/B00M913DVG/

£300 is my budget. any recommendations? 60hz only. not interested in 144hz.

Spend the little extra on this. Believe me, you won't regret it.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...6466&cm_re=ASUS_MG279Q-_-24-236-466-_-Product

Unfortunately, even though it says it is, it's not on sale right now. But it's still worth going with this if you are buying soon.

Here's on option for Gsync though

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27...&acampID=91844754e79c11e6a7543acabb89a0070INT

Spend the little extra on this. Believe me, you won't regret it.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...6466&cm_re=ASUS_MG279Q-_-24-236-466-_-Product

Unfortunately, even though it says it is, it's not on sale right now. But it's still worth going with this if you are buying soon.

Here's on option for Gsync though

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27...&acampID=91844754e79c11e6a7543acabb89a0070INT

Is that gsync on sale?
Because it seems like a no brainer.
Unless dells have a rep for being sketchy?

And i actually just spotted that asus on newegg too but as im on nvidia id want that dell gsync assuming impressions are good?
Is it an ips?

Edit-i see its a tn but it has overwhelmingly positive reviews all commenting on surprisingly good viewing angles and color.
I will throw this in with the acer i posted for consideration

Is that gsync on sale?
Because it seems like a no brainer.
Unless dells have a rep for being sketchy?

And i actually just spotted that asus on newegg too but as im on nvidia id want that dell gsync assuming impressions are good?
Is it an ips?

Edit-i see its a tn but it has overwhelmingly positive reviews all commenting on surprisingly good viewing angles and color.
I will throw this in with the acer i posted for consideration

The XG270HU you linked is Freesync as well.

I have the Asus MG279Q which I got for $440 and it's great. But yea the Dell has been pretty well received. I just refuse to buy Gsync monitors because they are actively blocking adaptive sync in their cards (it's a standard of Display Port) Nvidia forcefully blocks them to sell more expensive monitors and force ecosystem lockin.

I say this as a Nvidia supporter for over a decade and someone with a 1070. They got real greedy.

Chris_C

So I'm in need of some PC troubleshooting assistance. Would this be the right thread, or would it be more appropriate to make a new one in OT?

Chris_C

Hi guys, so I've got a bit of a problem with my SSD disapearing overnight. I'm hoping you can help

A Little History: I originally had a WD Black 1TB HDD, running a copy of Windows 8.1 that upgraded (legitimately) to 10. Last year I got a Samsung 128GB EVO SSD. I used a USB Bootable of Win 10 (using official tools) to install Win 10 on the SSD, and used the HDD as a storage drive.

Yesterday, I decided to clean house and formatted the HDD, then reset the SSD and deleted the files for a clean install. Everything seemed to be fine, I even played an hour or so of Witcher 3 to monitor performance. I ran Samsung Magician to check drive integrity and the diagnostic showd the result: "Good" Shut down as usual, and then...

The Problem
: Woke up, turned my PC on and was met with this message: Operating System Not Found. Reset, checked the BIOS and my SSD is no longer showing up at all.

What I've Tried:

- Unplugging all SATA connectors from both ends, waiting 30 minutes, powering back up.
- Switching out power and connector cables with other drives (HDD and DVD Drive) that are working being detected as normal.
- Complete dissassembly and re-assembly of the system, just to be sure it's not a connection issue.

Since none of that worked, I figured I'd just install Windows on my HDD and declare the SSD a lost cause, so I created a Windows 10 Bootable USB using the Windows 10 Media Creation tool. I set the USB drive to boot first in my bios, booted, I see the ASUS Gryphon splash/logo... and nothing. Waited an hour, and still nothing.

I tried redownloading Windows onto the USB drive multiple times and still no luck, I get stuck at the same place. Decided to use the Media Creation Tool to create an ISO and Rufus to prepare it, same issue. The USB drive is being detected, as I can see it in the BIOS. If I go into Bios>Boot>Boot Override, I can select "UEFI: Imation Nano" and get to the Gryphon splash. Selecting "Imation Nano" without "UEFI" in front of it boots me to the blue Windows 10 4 blue squares logo and spinning dots... and then nothing.

I'm turning the house upside down looking for my old Windows 8 installation CD, but at this point I'm not sure I'll find it. Any ideas what might be wrong?

System Specs:
Core i5 4570
16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 Ram
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
ASUS Gryphon Z87 (on the latest firmware 2103)
Windows 10 Home (with the latest update applied)
1TB WD Black HDD
128GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

Additonal Info: I just managed to find my old Windows 8 installation CD, however, booting from it brings me to the Windows 10 4 blue squares logo and a series of loading dots that goes on forever. No luck still.

Hi guys, so I've got a bit of a problem with my SSD disapearing overnight. I'm hoping you can help

A Little History: I originally had a WD Black 1TB HDD, running a copy of Windows 8.1 that upgraded (legitimately) to 10. Last year I got a Samsung 128GB EVO SSD. I used a USB Bootable of Win 10 (using official tools) to install Win 10 on the SSD, and used the HDD as a storage drive.

Yesterday, I decided to clean house and formatted the HDD, then reset the SSD and deleted the files for a clean install. Everything seemed to be fine, I even played an hour or so of Witcher 3 to monitor performance. I ran Samsung Magician to check drive integrity and the diagnostic showd the result: "Good" Shut down as usual, and then...

The Problem
: Woke up, turned my PC on and was met with this message: Operating System Not Found. Reset, checked the BIOS and my SSD is no longer showing up at all.

What I've Tried:

- Unplugging all SATA connectors from both ends, waiting 30 minutes, powering back up.
- Switching out power and connector cables with other drives (HDD and DVD Drive) that are working being detected as normal.
- Complete dissassembly and re-assembly of the system, just to be sure it's not a connection issue.

Since none of that worked, I figured I'd just install Windows on my HDD and declare the SSD a lost cause, so I created a Windows 10 Bootable USB using the Windows 10 Media Creation tool. I set the USB drive to boot first in my bios, booted, I see the ASUS Gryphon splash/logo... and nothing. Waited an hour, and still nothing.

I tried redownloading Windows onto the USB drive multiple times and still no luck, I get stuck at the same place. Decided to use the Media Creation Tool to create an ISO and Rufus to prepare it, same issue. The USB drive is being detected, as I can see it in the BIOS. If I go into Bios>Boot>Boot Override, I can select "UEFI: Imation Nano" and get to the Gryphon splash. Selecting "Imation Nano" without "UEFI" in front of it boots me to the blue Windows 10 4 blue squares logo and spinning dots... and then nothing.

I'm turning the house upside down looking for my old Windows 8 installation CD, but at this point I'm not sure I'll find it. Any ideas what might be wrong?

System Specs:
Core i5 4570
16GB Kingston Hyper X DDR3 Ram
MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
ASUS Gryphon Z87 (on the latest firmware 2103)
Windows 10 Home (with the latest update applied)
1TB WD Black HDD
128GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD

This will sound kinda crazy, but leave the system on with the SSD plugged in for a good while. Like say, half an hour. Because what can happen - and this happened to me, though my Dad solved it, so I'm not sure of the exact mechanics - is that a drive can sort of... out of sync or something? So the system doesn't detect it, but after being left on a while, the system might start picking it up again.

Chris_C

This will sound kinda crazy, but leave the system on with the SSD plugged in for a good while. Like say, half an hour. Because what can happen - and this happened to me, though my Dad solved it, so I'm not sure of the exact mechanics - is that a drive can sort of... out of sync or something? So the system doesn't detect it, but after being left on a while, the system might start picking it up again.

Thanks! I'll give that a shot and report on any changes.

Smokey

I was in Best Buy yesterday randomly browsing. Came across the Corsair MM800. Never heard of it before. Impulse bought it. What is that you may ask:

32506042961_f701ce15e1_c.jpg

Neat

Corsair software links it all together. The mat and the KB lights are synchronized. If you have a M65 RGB and their VOID headset, all of that syncs too. I've the G502 tuned with the MM800. Pretty smooth. Doesn't look as bright and washed as the pic, that's the camera on my phone. Other than that...it's a mat.

I held off buying anything PC related for months, but that 1070 purchase brought it back out :x

enewtabie

I was in Best Buy yesterday randomly browsing. Came across the Corsair MM800. Never heard of it before. Impulse bought it. What is that you may ask:

Neat

Corsair software links it all together. The mat and the KB lights are synchronized. If you have a M65 RGB and their VOID headset, all of that syncs too. I've the G502 tuned with the MM800. Pretty smooth. Doesn't look as bright and washed as the pic, that's the camera on my phone. Other than that...it's a mat.

I held off buying anything PC related for months, but that 1070 purchase brought it back out :x

Nice. Welcome to the club!

Afrodium

Banned
I'm relatively new to PC gaming and just discovered the Nvidia control panel after like 2 months. Should I be tweaking settings in here? I was playing Arkham City and getting a ton of screen tearing (1060 with a i5-6600k so I should have no problem running it). I eventually fixed it by turning on adaptive vsync in the Nvidia control panel and now the game is running fine. Vsync was turned on in the game settings, but was it not active because vsync was off on my GPU? Are there recommend settings that I should turn on here?

Chris_C

No luck still, I'm afraid, this doesn't seem to have worked.

Akai__

Really not a fan of that RGB LED nonsense.

Even the current Motherboards are plagued with it, instead of coming with nice colors.

No luck still, I'm afraid, this doesn't seem to have worked.

Damn.

On a different note, installed the 6700k I got courtesy of LilJoka. After a couple of benchmarks, very happy with my choice. Now to start saving up for a GPU that won't be quite as much bottleneck (feels weird to imagine the 970 as a bottleneck now). Hope Vega makes the high end market interesting.

Momentary

Banned
Time for another build. Got my S4-mini in today. I'll make my own STEAM Entertainment System. Josh from NFC did a fantastic job on this anodized aluminum case.

I should flip it the other way to where the power button is on the bottom. It doesn't matter really other than aesthetics. I was thinking about the short GTX 1080, but I think I'm going to wait for Pascal 2 to release.

I've also got a Zaber Sentry on the way that I'll be saving for Volta :)

Jamaro85

I was planning on getting the GTX 1050 Ti but am looking at benchmarks vs the RX 470 and it generally gets blown out of the water.

With the RX 470 not being too much more expensive is there any reason I shouldn't go with it over the GTX 1050 Ti? I guess I'm just thinking in terms of whether there's any reason to go with nVidia over AMD. If there is no valid reason (aside from price) to go with the GTX please let me know.

I'll generally only being playing the modern CRPGs but wouldn't mind having a little more power for other games if the RX 470 wouldn't be bottlenecked by the rest of the system (i5-7600K, Z270 mobo).

e90Mark

Guys
If i just dont care about viewing angles is TN ok for me?
Because im looking at this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VRCLHYS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Then theres also this but ive heard horror stories of the ips lottery(but it is gsync and what a price!)

What say you gaf

Not sure on the Acer, but the Dell is a TN panel. I have one and I don't feel like I need an IPS panel. The S2716DG is a really good monitor, just requires some calibration out of the box.

Guys
If i just dont care about viewing angles is TN ok for me?
Because im looking at this

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VRCLHYS/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Then theres also this but ive heard horror stories of the ips lottery(but it is gsync and what a price!)

What say you gaf

It's not just viewing angles, TN just has generally worse color accuracy.

They aren't so universally horrible as some people make them out to be though. I actually kind of appreciate the complete lack of reflections, since they tend to be matte.

I wouldn't worry about it on that supply. Unless you're putting multiple supplies on the same power switch (servers), inrush is not that critical of a spec. Seeing high inrush on a low-end supply from a questionable OEM is disconcerting, but on a top of the line SeaSonic, with huge holdup times? It's fine.

Inrush current is sort of a soap box topic for me, so I'll avoid a longer rant about it, unless someone is specifically interested, haha.

I realize the topic is a bit out there, I never really expected to be asking about the inner workings of certain PSU when I decided to start picking out my PC components. But here we are, so your response is very much appreciated!

But now that you mention it, I'm actually kind of interested in why inrush current seems to fluctuate so much between different power supplies. You also mentioned holdup times with regard to high inrush, what are those?

Bloodember

I was planning on getting the GTX 1050 Ti but am looking at benchmarks vs the RX 470 and it generally gets blown out of the water.

With the RX 470 not being too much more expensive is there any reason I shouldn't go with it over the GTX 1050 Ti? I guess I'm just thinking in terms of whether there's any reason to go with nVidia over AMD. If there is no valid reason (aside from price) to go with the GTX please let me know.

I'll generally only being playing the modern CRPGs but wouldn't mind having a little more power for other games if the RX 470 wouldn't be bottlenecked by the rest of the system (i5-7600K, Z270 mobo).
It's really up to you which one you get, if you can afford the 470 then get it. Plus why would the 470 be bottlenecked by an i5 7600k, it a brand new CPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom