• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamaro85

I think I'm ultimately deciding to be cheap and not pony up for the 960 EVO to get real NVMe goodness, so I need opinions on which 500 GB m.2 drive you'd get between:

Samsung 850 EVO
Intel 600p

I've read through all kinds of reviews, benchmarks, and forum discussions and still have no idea which to get. If any of you have opinions I'll probably use those to make the final decision.

Edit: I know the 600p is super entry level NVMe and is rated to read about 3x faster than the 850 EVO, but the 600p looks like it struggles with large write operations, and I'm not sure it outperforms the 850 EVO by a large enough margin in most areas to go with it on benchmarks alone. I guess I'm just wondering if you guys would feel more comfortable with having a Samsung SSD vs having an Intel SSD, or if there are any other factors you'd be considering here (given that price is almost the same).

Weevilone

I think I'd go with the Intel 600p just for form factor, unless you're doing something so write intensive that you think you'd notice. Most people grossly overestimate writes when they buy SSDs.

My gaming box was still using an 840 EVO from when they released and it only had 22TB or writes on it. I would never have guessed it'd be so low.

The 850 EVO is probably a better all around drive, though I doubt most people could tell the difference between the two in daily use.

Pro/Con between Asus Z270g vs Gigabyte Aorus Z270X 7

I don't know what difference in quality I need to know about. I'm leaning for the Asus due to brand loyalty which in 2017 sounds stupid. So I'm looking at other options out there.

longdi

Banned
56124_01_amd-ryzen-flagship-cpu-r7-1800x-cores-4ghz.jpg

Its Ryzen time ! Cheap hexa cores to kill i7

More cores but slower clocks than a i7, let's hope it's a beast when OC'd.

I don't think it's gonna OC very well honestly. That coupled with rumors about motherboard manufacturers turning their back on Ryzen even after pledging support looks bad for AMD.

I hope I'm wrong about Ryzen

Thorgal

so this might be a dumb question but is HDR only available on new pc monitors that have recently come out or does it work on older ones too ?

Reason i ask is because i have a BenQ XL2720Z monitor and i now have a game saying i have HDR supported while i could swear that option was still greyed out yesterday ?

is the game mistaken or not ?

or am i taking crazy pills here ?

What is a good CPU to get? I mostly game and at the same time have chrome open with netflix.

Intel only please.

the newest CPU's are called Kaby Lake. the best one is the 7700K but unless you really need the hyperthreading or want to do other heavy tasks such as rendering/encoding/3d then you'd be fine with the 7600K. if you don't want to overclock then just get whatever i5 you want. also if you can find Skylake for cheaper you should go for that. there isn't much a difference between sky/kabylake. however, if you are wanting to stream netflix in 4K you'll need a kabylake. and if you buy a kabylake you will need to be on windows 10. windows 7/8.1 are not supported on kabylake.

Bloodember

so this might be a dumb question but is HDR only available on new pc monitors that have recently come out or does it work on older ones too ?

Reason i ask is because i have a BenQ XL2720Z monitor and i now have a game saying i have HDR supported while i could swear that option was still greyed out yesterday ?

is the game mistaken or not ?

or am i taking crazy pills here ?

It needs to state that it has HDR, which are mainly only new ones now just coming out.

I think I'm ultimately deciding to be cheap and not pony up for the 960 EVO to get real NVMe goodness, so I need opinions on which 500 GB m.2 drive you'd get between:

Samsung 850 EVO
Intel 600p

I've read through all kinds of reviews, benchmarks, and forum discussions and still have no idea which to get. If any of you have opinions I'll probably use those to make the final decision.

Edit: I know the 600p is super entry level NVMe and is rated to read about 3x faster than the 850 EVO, but the 600p looks like it struggles with large write operations, and I'm not sure it outperforms the 850 EVO by a large enough margin in most areas to go with it on benchmarks alone. I guess I'm just wondering if you guys would feel more comfortable with having a Samsung SSD vs having an Intel SSD, or if there are any other factors you'd be considering here (given that price is almost the same).

Go with the Intel 600p, newer drive and nVME.

ParityBit

I have a HDD bootup warning with my machine and I am not sure how to address it. The drive is real slow.

Marvell 88SE91xx Adapter - BIOS version 1.0.0.1031
PCIeX1 5.0 Gbps
Mode : CPU AHCI

Physical Disk
[ID] 1
[Disk Name] HDD WDC WD1002FAEX-07BA0
[Size] 1.00 TB
[Speed] 6 GB/s
[Status] Unconfigured

As I prep for my 1070 & first gsync monitor, I cleaned my heatsink (that dust 😱) and realised I didn't have my motherboard's (Biostar 787W) Smart Fan functionality turned on.

It's so much quieter by default, how did I not do this sooner.

56124_01_amd-ryzen-flagship-cpu-r7-1800x-cores-4ghz.jpg

Its Ryzen time ! Cheap hexa cores to kill i7
I really don't think this is legit, because it means AMD's releasing like 16 CPUs at the same time, unless some of these are going straight to OEMs or this is the entire 4 year plan for Ryzen (which I doubt).

rrs

Samsung 850 EVO
Intel 600p

600p, those read speeds are unreal; and the write issue only matters for niche cases

Celcius

°Temp. member
Today when I turned on my computer it booted up to the windows 10 login screen but I don't use a password on my computer so it just stayed there (normally it just logs me right in). I just click on power -> reset and after rebooting it logged me straight in and has been normal ever since. Nothing to worry about right? Probably just a random Windows issue and not an issue with my 960 pro right?

Bloodember

Today when I turned on my computer it booted up to the windows 10 login screen but I don't use a password on my computer so it just stayed there (normally it just logs me right in). I just click on power -> reset and after rebooting it logged me straight in and has been normal ever since. Nothing to worry about right? Probably just a random Windows issue and not an issue with my 960 pro right?
Most likely just windows being windows.

Gandie

Would I get significant speed increases in boot performance on a 960 pro M.2 drive compared to the 1 TB 850 EVO I'm planning to use as my main drive?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Would I get significant speed increases in boot performance on a 960 pro M.2 drive compared to the 1 TB 850 EVO I'm planning to use as my main drive?

You mean the time it takes to boot up your computer? With my 960 Pro, my computer only seems to boot into windows maybe a second faster than my old 840 Pro. It does feel faster when installing applications though.

FFMafia

When do yo guys/girls think the GeForce 1100 series cards release? I was thinking of jumping on the 1070 maybe when evga releases their icx cooler revision but not sure if I should just hold out a bit longer.

Gandie

You mean the time it takes to boot up your computer? With my 960 Pro, my computer only seems to boot into windows maybe a second faster than my old 840 Pro. It does feel faster when installing applications though.

Thanks for the answer. Not really worth it for me then. Still, m.2 is absolutely fascinating. I hope prices for larger drives will go down quickly!

24hr

Some advice please guys, how much would you say this is worth?

AMD FX 6300 6-core 3.5 GHz CPU
Cooler Master Seidon Water Cooler
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P Motherboard
8GB DDR3
Inno 3D Geforce GTX 580 1.5GB GDDR5 Graphics Card
1TB HDD
Kolink Pitch Black Gaming Midi Tower Case
PwerCool Integrator 600W PSU 80+ Bronze PSU
2x 120mm blue LED

longdi

Banned

8GB DDR3
1TB HDD
2x 120mm blue LED

I rather buy a PS4 slim tbh...

I would recommend a fresh windows install really.
How do other games perform?

They had a similar issue. However, I think I've pegged the problem. In my haste, one thing I never touched after switching out the parts? Audio drivers, specifically realtek. Suddenly remembered to do those, and I just ran a session of Witcher 3 for about 3 hours without the slightest hiccup.

I already have one, I want a PC for PC titles. He is charing £330/399.55$

If you can save up another $100 you could build a much better PC yourself. FX-6300 and GTX 580 are both horribly outdated.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($75.00 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($50.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.33 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 470 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card ($173.89 @ OutletPC)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.44 @ OutletPC)
Total: $515.61
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-04 10:27 EST-0500

I already have one, I want a PC for PC titles. He is charing £330/399.55$

If you can save up another $100 you could build a much better PC yourself. FX-6300 and GTX 580 are both horribly outdated.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($73.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.33 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($42.44 @ OutletPC)

Yeah, in terms of entry level rig there's not much point picking up that build at that sort of price. At least with the new stuff you can use it to ease into higher end builds if need be due to compatibility.

24hr

Sorry i meant PS4 slim offers a better gaming experience than that old junk of a pc. $399? Rather get PS4 Pro.

Yeah, in terms of entry level rig there's not much point picking up that build at that sort of price. At least with the new stuff you can use it to ease into higher end builds if need be due to compatibility.

I'm only looking for a budget PC to play games like KotK, Rust etc. My PS4 will be my main system for AAA games. Could someone build me on for around $300? Or is that a no go

I'm only looking for a budget PC to play games like KotK, Rust etc. My PS4 will be my main system for AAA games. Could someone build me on for around $300? Or is that a no go

not for $300. you're looking at about $450-500 at least and then whatever it cost for a monitor/keyboard/mouse and windows.

Thanks for the answer. Not really worth it for me then. Still, m.2 is absolutely fascinating. I hope prices for larger drives will go down quickly!
This is me as well as I have a still unused Samsung 850 Evo 1 TB and am tempted to also add (or even replace it by) a Samsung 960 Evo 500 GB, but as far as I have read the difference for daily use like gaming and normal Office Word/Excel use is too small to make it really worth it. So while it would be cool to have a nifty new tech toy in my new build, I think I'll wait.

if kotk refers to h1z1: king of the kill, that game is a pain in the ass to run properly. rust isn't much better either.

this is the best I could do, and you're gonna have to tolerate sub-60 framerates in kotk and rust with this pc:

Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1050 2GB Mini Video Card ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Rosewill FBM-02 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA 400W ATX Power Supply ($28.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $413.15
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-04 11:10 EST-0500

but really at this point you should just cough up $90 for the $500 build i posted earlier. you'd get a much nicer case, a better power supply, and a way better graphics card.

J3ffro

With this thread, and a little outside help, I put this together a few months ago (http://pcpartpicker.com/list/wG4Qyf) and have been absolutely floored with the results.

But, I've been playing on my ~5 year old 55" inch LED TV and while it's been great, my wife has signed off on the idea of putting a desk somewhere in the common space of the house, and I'll put my PC on it with a monitor.

Everything I've read about G-Sync is that it's a whole new world, and since I have a 1070 it seems like a no brainer (albeit, an expensive no brainer) to go that route - I'm sold on G-Sync.

I'm just curious if my computer is strong enough to take advantage of one of the G-Sync 4k monitors, or just to still with a 1440. My console peasant roots means I'm not a huge resolution snob so 1440 feels like the way to go, but figured if I didn't ask the collective braintrust that is this thread before pulling the trigger, I'd be doing myself a disservice. I'm eyeing the ASUS ROG Swift PG278 vs PG27AQ, and there's only ~$180 difference.

not for $300. you're looking at about $450-500 at least and then whatever it cost for a monitor/keyboard/mouse and windows.

Well, it's vaguely feasible at a stretch, but would involve hunting around for secondhand parts which is also a tricky - and somewhat risky - endeavour.

With regards to the suggested build above, and thus getting everything new, you could shave the GPU down to the GTX 1050 or an RX 460, saving you $60-$90 depending on what card you get. There are some cheaper mATX cases too, so from those two parts alone you can bring the price for that build closer to $400. Problem is after that there's not many other places to save.

Edit:
With this thread, and a little outside help, I put this together a few months ago (http://pcpartpicker.com/list/wG4Qyf) and have been absolutely floored with the results.

But, I've been playing on my ~5 year old 55" inch LED TV and while it's been great, my wife has signed off on the idea of putting a desk somewhere in the common space of the house, and I'll put my PC on it with a monitor.

Everything I've read about G-Sync is that it's a whole new world, and since I have a 1070 it seems like a no brainer (albeit, an expensive no brainer) to go that route - I'm sold on G-Sync.

I'm just curious if my computer is strong enough to take advantage of one of the G-Sync 4k monitors, or just to still with a 1440. My console peasant roots means I'm not a huge resolution snob so 1440 feels like the way to go, but figured if I didn't ask the collective braintrust that is this thread before pulling the trigger, I'd be doing myself a disservice. I'm eyeing the ASUS ROG Swift PG278 vs PG27AQ, and there's only ~$180 difference.

A 1070 is not a 4K@60 card, if that's what you're asking. It'll do 4K@30, if you're one for visual fidelity over performance, but otherwise it's much more suited to 1440p.

kennah

8GB DDR3
1TB HDD
2x 120mm blue LED

This is worth $180 on a good day.

so i was just playing about with the settings on my monitor and my mouse feels so much smoother and more responsive. i was just using standard mode but now it is on RTS. i have a benq rl2455hm. what is causing this? i can't believe i've had the monitor for almost 2 years and i've not been using it properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom