• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weevilone

I'm beginning to think the same. Bad cable coming into the house or one under the house. Something like that maybe.

There's a heck of a lot more going on with their side than yours. It might even be provisioned wrong, something they can fix over the phone.

You might also ping some known IP on the internet to see if you have packet loss. Maybe your overall bandwidth is being hampered by packets not reaching a destination.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Now I realize I was quoting the length of my keyboard cable.

Unless you're running it through an extension that is more than 5 metres long, or through some cheap USB hubs, you won't get any latency on an extension cable.

I'll keep that in mind. Always have problems with usb's being finicky though so wanted to avoid chaining them together. I'm getting a longer cable for my keyboard. Right now I have mine attached to a monitor but the input lag is terrible.

Need a bit more info what you want.
But my blind recommendation is G403/G900 wireless

Hmm I'm not sure yet. Was trying to decide on wired vs. wireless first. Was looking to see if there was an update to the list in the OP.

I did not like the Logitech G502 first gen, which I bought and then never ended up using long term because I hated the ergonomics of the thing.

Dave_6

There's a heck of a lot more going on with their side than yours. It might even be provisioned wrong, something they can fix over the phone.

You might also ping some known IP on the internet to see if you have packet loss. Maybe your overall bandwidth is being hampered by packets not reaching a destination.

I'm going to call them tonight once I'm home and hope that I get a helpful representative. I noticed today that they are being sued by the NY attorney general for false advertising about their internet speeds so maybe that's actually all I can get.

Weevilone

I'm going to call them tonight once I'm home and hope that I get a helpful representative. I noticed today that they are being sued by the NY attorney general for false advertising about their internet speeds so maybe that's actually all I can get.

In general terms they offer speed tiers way faster, so unless your area is a special case I wouldn't think so. I'm getting 210 down and 7 up right now, and it's likely that is available in your area as well.

Good luck getting it sorted out.

I did not like the Logitech G502 first gen, which I bought and then never ended up using long term because I hated the ergonomics of the thing.

I recommend the Logitech MX Master if you can take the price. It's within $5 of the lowest price I've seen @ Amazon currently.

Dave_6

In general terms they offer speed tiers way faster, so unless your area is a special case I wouldn't think so. I'm getting 210 down and 7 up right now, and it's likely that is available in your area as well.

Good luck getting it sorted out.

I'm supposed to be getting the fastest already, but there is a possibility I'm mistaken or something has changed. You're using them too?

LuffyZoro

I just switched around how my hard drives are plugged into the SATA ports in order to get some more air flow around, but now my ethernet isn't connecting. The internet was working fine just before that, and now it's stuck on "Identifying..." and sometimes connects, but still no network access. What could be causing this?

EDIT: After waiting a while, it now says that I have IPv4 internet access, but not IPv6. However, I still can't connect to any websites.

EDIT2: I changed my SATA order again and now it works. I hate everything.

Full windows reinstall after switching from AMD to Intel?
Almost sounds like vsync capping the fps.

Sorry it took a while to respond. Tried reinstalling Nvidia drivers to see if maybe that affected things - didn't work. Tried turning VSync off and deliberately unlimiting the frames, got me maybe 3 extra at most.

And no, I didn't do a full reinstall of Windows. I had hoped to be able to run the system as before, save time on reinstalling everything else. Unless what you're suggesting is that I should try such, in which case maybe, but I dunno what situation that would leave me in as my key is an upgraded Windows 8.1 key.

Get RealTemp and enable logging. It logs clock speed in a text file (along with temperatures, obviously), and if you leave it running while you play the game you can check back over the file to see if it was maintaining full clocks while playing. If it is clocking up properly it may be worth checking to make sure your RAM is properly installed, is running at the right speeds and is running in dual-channel mode, as that could in theory be a bottleneck in these kinds of situations.

Well, did a (very) brief run with it on, apologies if I did it wrong or forgot to check something important:
http://pastebin.com/Z8Rej3U1
(I think the random 1 is from when I added a log note unwittingly)

So if I'm reading it right, it's running at 4200 GHz. RAM also seems to be fine - system picks up both sticks, and the game was utilising over 8GB albeit just. Admittedly it's currently defaulted to 2133 MHz rather than the 2400 it's capable of, but considering I went from a DDR3-1600 set that would seem odd if it became limiting.

That said, I did try something, and noticed a rather peculiar result. I ended up going with Nvidia's 'optimised' settings, which are normally set for high quality, low FPS for the Witcher 3. Lo and behold, having turned on Hairworks, with 4x antialiasing on it, and everything but foliage pumped up to Ultra (foliage at high; previously I had it and shadows down to Medium) the FPS barely dropped at all from what it'd been previously, being around 30 FPS in Novigrad.

I finally managed to order a 960 Evo 500GB from Newegg, and they still have it in stock. My 1TB 850 Evo has been sitting in the red for too long, with just like 70GB or less free X_x Been really needing to reinstall Windows too, so glad I'll finally have an excuse to do that.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm confused, why did you do this? Doesn't the cord sticking out of the top of the machine bother you?
Ha, that cable is just a dvi cable. I haven't hooked up a DisplayPort cable yet. No cables will be coming out of the top, I just slapped it in for a test boot. Als with that case the cables stick out the top regardless of if the GPU is small enough for the case. The card goes vertically in it.

The pcie extender does stick out the back about 2 inches but once it's painted black it'll look cool.

I did it because the GPU won't fit in the case!

GAF, recommend me a CPU cooler. Something at around or below $50

Also recomend me a mouse and keyboard. Not looking to pay over $150 for both

GAF, recommend me a CPU cooler. Something at around or below $50

Also recomend me a mouse and keyboard. Not looking to pay over $150 for both

Cryorig H7 assuming you have a regular sized case that can fit it. Good cooling performance for the price ($35), and it's way, WAY easier to install than that pain in the ass Hyper 212 EVO.

Blind mouse recommendation is the Logitech G403 wired ($55 on Amazon). For keyboards, it really depends on your switch preference.

Cryorig H7 assuming you have a regular sized case that can fit it. Good cooling performance for the price ($35), and it's way, WAY easier to install than that pain in the ass Hyper 212 EVO.

Blind mouse recommendation is the Logitech G403 wired ($55 on Amazon). For keyboards, it really depends on your switch preference.

I have no switch preference, since I've never had a mechanical keyboard

In that case, I would recommend a Cherry MX Brown keyboard, as they are equally good for gaming and typing. If you do very little typing and play lots of shooter games like Counter-Strike, then my recommendation would be an MX Red keyboard, as they are the fastest for double-tapping which is important for strafing in first-person games. Conversely, if you do a lot of typing and not a lot of competitive gaming, then an MX Blue board could be for you. They are very satisfying to type on because of the audible "click" sound each key makes when pressed, but the noise could be annoying to your coworkers/housemates so keep that in mind.

I 2as in the same boat, decided Cherry MX Browns were the best of both worlds for gaming and typing. Decided on Logitech G610 Orion Brown, pretty great keyboard for the price. Simple, no RGB gamer shit on it, white backlight, Brown switches and has a numeric keypad.

So I'm in need of building out a quiet build and would like some input on what I've put together. I also am going to build a server that I'm hoping will be fast and reliable.

I7 7700K Build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8xTHr7

Notes: I'm a bit concerned about the OCZ drive, but I'm looking for storage that is a good deal. The NZXT aio is the first I've ever thought about doing am I mistaken that having this would make the pc cooler and quieter? NZXT is a good brand right?

NAS/Server Build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/td23d6

Notes: I'm looking at getting some drives from eBay (Hitachi Ultrastar 7K3000) from a lot. They are enterprise drives and not NAS drives. Should I be concerned about purchasing such things from eBay? I was planning on buying the Squaretrade warranty since it's offered as extra protection. Also what about the PSU's of both builds? I know it's overkill

KdotIX

Looking at server builds with keen interest as I am also in the market for a quiet, power efficient server build.

Been looking at getting the HP Z600/620/800 workstations and using that as a server. From what I've seen they're, powerful, quiet and efficient which is what im looking for. Seen some on eBay for about £500+ equipped with Xeon processors, 16-32GB RAM, 1TB HDD and W10 installation.

Would it be a good idea to go for one of those or just build myself a server instead?

sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this but i am wondering about how to best go about adding another wired connection to my room for a second computer.

right now i just have one 20m ethernet cable going from my router downstairs and up to my room into my PC.

i was going to add a splitter so it would look like this:

7jx7Rbe.jpg

would that work or would i need to do this:

H0m0DER.jpg

i could just buy another 15m cable but really can't be bothered drilling and hammering. plus it'd look untidy.

Jezbollah

If by "splitter" you mean "switch" then you only need one network cable from your router to your switch and then you can plug as many devices into that switch as you can.

So just plug that 20 metre cable into the switch, and then plug whatever devices into that. It's pretty straight forward.

If by "splitter" you mean "switch" then you only need one network cable from your router to your switch and then you can plug as many devices into that switch as you can.

So just plug that 20 metre cable into the switch, and then plug whatever devices into that. It's pretty straight forward.

it's one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015VPFK6M/

i know there are powered ones but would rather not get one unless i really needed it. would this work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000FNFSPY/

Varg

Banned
Damn took off the small form factor build from the chart? Looking into building a micro atx build for my living room as I've recently purchased a Samsung ks8000. As far as micro atx builds go, would my gpu options be limited due to size ? Was thinking about a 1070 . Any recommendations on the micro atx case itself ?

enewtabie

Damn took off the small form factor build from the chart? Looking into building a micro atx build for my living room as I've recently purchased a Samsung ks8000. As far as micro atx builds go, would my gpu options be limited due to size ? Was thinking about a 1070 . Any recommendations on the micro atx case itself ?

I always liked the Corsair 240. GPUs up to 290mm.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2F84D68911

If this is going in the living room, you probably want it to be inconspicuous. You definitely want it to be quiet. The Fractal Define Mini C meets both criteria and will allow very long GPU's.

Anything from Caselabs is going to be too loud for the living room.

Thraktor

ah alright. i guess i'll go for that TP link switch then! thanks :)

Don't order quite yet! The one you linked to is a 100Mbit switch, whereas virtually all PCs and routers these days are capable of Gigabit speeds (ie ten times that). Gimme a sec and I'll get you a link to a reliable gigabit model.

Edit: Get this one instead. Even if your internet speeds aren't above 100 Mb/s you'll future-proof yourself a bit and have the benefit of massively faster file sharing between the two PCs, which is worth spending a few pounds extra on.

Trojita

I ended up ordering the Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse in Stone color. There was a deal of the day at Amazon for the Stone color. I hope I like it and I hope it looks good. Wasn't initially planning to go with that color.

Kudo

I ended up ordering the Logitech MX Master Wireless Mouse in Stone color. There was a deal of the day at Amazon for the Stone color. I hope I like it and I hope it looks good. Wasn't initially planning to go with that color.

I had MX Master and had to return it.
It is very heavy mouse and the wireless is not good enough for gaming, also the "Forward" and "Back" side buttons cannot be hold down as in they only register clicks, these might not be issues for you but just mentioning.
Ergonomics other than weight were fine, the mouse feels good for browsing the web with that thumb wheel.

Trojita

I had MX Master and had to return it.
It is very heavy mouse and the wireless is not good enough for gaming, also the "Forward" and "Back" side buttons cannot be hold down as in they only register clicks, these might not be issues for you but just mentioning.
Ergonomics other than weight were fine, the mouse feels good for browsing the web with that thumb wheel.

Now I'm reading about a problem with the ratchet wheel. You might have saved me some money.

Kudo

Now I'm reading about a problem with the ratchet wheel. You might have saved me some money.

I've heard it's quick to break if you use it with the feature on, the locking system for the wheel is really loud so I just used in staged mode all the time. I had the mouse for month and just had to return it, I think it's one of the best looking mouses currently but just too many issues with it.

Grimalkin

I am putting together one last 1080p build before I upgrade to 4k. I mostly game on a projector and 4k projector tech is still a ways off from being at the right price point for me. My new build is going to be a htpc, and I am trying to juggle getting enough overhead to be able to play at 1080p max settings for the next 4 years versus being wasteful with my money by going too over the top.

I can't decide what cpu and mobo I want to go with, historically I have always gone overboard and ended up with a bunch of features I don't use. I am trying to see how low I can go with my budget while still getting the performance I want. I could spend a lot more money, but I am trying to challenge myself to not spend money on power I don't "need".

I feel that building pcs is easier than ever but picking out parts is harder now, with the exponentially greater selection available to us. The options for htpc cases alone seem endless. :)

dab0ne

Hey all. I've been out of the pc game for a while and was wondering if it would even be realistic to upgrade my graphics card. I've currently got a Radeon HD 7850 (which I had to squeeze into the medium sized PC tower) but it doesn't really run current games very well. I put this graphics card into a Dell Studio XPS a few years ago which is an even older pc. When I upgraded the graphics card to the 7850 I also upgraded the power supply to a 600 watt. Other than that it's all original parts.

Basically I wanna know what would be the best upgrade if any. Here are my specs:

Dell Studio xps case
i7 860 @ 2.80hz
8gb ram
Cosair cx600 psu

Vipu

Banned
Hey all. I've been out of the pc game for a while and was wondering if it would even be realistic to upgrade my graphics card. I've currently got a Radeon HD 7850 (which I had to squeeze into the medium sized PC tower) but it doesn't really run current games very well. I put this graphics card into a Dell Studio XPS a few years ago which is an even older pc. When I upgraded the graphics card to the 7850 I also upgraded the power supply to a 600 watt. Other than that it's all original parts.

Basically I wanna know what would be the best upgrade if any. Here are my specs:

Dell Studio xps case
i7 860 @ 2.80hz
8gb ram
Cosair cx600 psu

Yes get gtx1060, some decent cpu cooler and oc cpu to 4ghz
You will be fine and see huge boost.

dab0ne

Yes get gtx1060, some decent cpu cooler and oc cpu to 4ghz
You will be fine and see huge boost.
Great! Thank you. Will I need to upgrade my power supply?

Edit: actually never mind on the psu. I'm looking into it. Thanks again for the starting point

Weevilone

I must be a lucky gaming scrub. I haven't had any wireless or wheel issues, and use it for a lot of gaming.

Good luck finding something you like.

Anyways, on other topics.. I'm awaiting a 1TB Samsung 960 Pro. It'll be the last piece of my Kaby Lake setup.. though I think I'll still delid the CPU. Debating whether to send it to Silicon Lottery or just order the parts to do it myself. My 7700k seems to run ok at 5GHz with 32GB @ 3866. It just gets pretty warm under certain conditions, so delidding should help.

Smokey

I am putting together one last 1080p build before I upgrade to 4k. I mostly game on a projector and 4k projector tech is still a ways off from being at the right price point for me. My new build is going to be a htpc, and I am trying to juggle getting enough overhead to be able to play at 1080p max settings for the next 4 years versus being wasteful with my money by going too over the top.

I can't decide what cpu and mobo I want to go with, historically I have always gone overboard and ended up with a bunch of features I don't use. I am trying to see how low I can go with my budget while still getting the performance I want. I could spend a lot more money, but I am trying to challenge myself to not spend money on power I don't "need".

I feel that building pcs is easier than ever but picking out parts is harder now, with the exponentially greater selection available to us. The options for htpc cases alone seem endless. :)

Wait until mid - end of March. AMDs new processor launches next month.

Hoping someone can look over this build for me, it's based off a build a gaffer (bloodember) did up for me, however I did make a few couple changes - GPU, case & optical drive. I actually changed the mobo for some reason only god knows why... I have no idea what I am doing lol.

This PC is only going to be for gaming in 1080p on my TV and media streaming, but I would like the option to jump into VR if I choose to later down the road.
Just so everyone knows I have never built a PC before and always gamed on my laptop so this process has been bit of a learning curve... So much so I almost gave up and just bought a prebuilt.

Oh and I am having a hard time not going with an i7 with a 1070 but I think far beyond overkill.

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bR6ssJ
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bR6ssJ/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($314.25 @ shopRBC)

CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($99.85 @ Newegg Canada)

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.98 @ DirectCanada)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($133.50 @ Vuugo)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($154.98 @ DirectCanada)

Storage: Intel 600p Series 256GB M.2-2280

Solid State Drive ($139.98 @ DirectCanada)

Storage: Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card ($339.50 @ Vuugo)

Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ NCIX)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($98.99 @ Amazon Canada)

Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($64.99 @ Newegg Canada)

Total: $1503.00

I don't mind spending a bit more, like maybe on a Asus ROG STRIX-GTX1060-O6G cause I've read good things on it but don't know if it's that much better than the one I picked?

I dunno suggestions, changes are very welcome. Thanks.

Has anyone tried to fit the GTX 1080 Phoenix GLH into Phatenks' Enthoo evolv mini ITX case? My EVGA FTW version is okay but my friend's GLH is clearly too large; the mount/cover above the PSU is reducing clearance. The cover that I am referring to is held using weird circular screws that we couldn't remove; my friend is literally breaking them right now.

I don't know why the damn partpicker website didn't show any incompatibilities with the dimensions; the GLH is too thick for the damn case (it could be the motherboard too but I doubt it).

Grimalkin

Hoping someone can look over this build for me, it's based off a build a gaffer (bloodember) did up for me, however I did make a few couple changes - GPU, case & optical drive. I actually changed the mobo for some reason only god knows why... I have no idea what I am doing lol.

This PC is only going to be for gaming in 1080p on my TV and media streaming, but I would like the option to jump into VR if I choose to later down the road.
Just so everyone knows I have never built a PC before and always gamed on my laptop so this process has been bit of a learning curve... So much so I almost gave up and just bought a prebuilt.

Oh and I am having a hard time not going with an i7 with a 1070 but I think far beyond overkill.

Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/bR6ssJ/by_merchant/

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste ($6.98 @ DirectCanada)

Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($154.98 @ DirectCanada)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card ($339.50 @ Vuugo)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($98.99 @ Amazon Canada)

Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($64.99 @ Newegg Canada)

I don't mind spending a bit more, like maybe on a Asus ROG STRIX-GTX1060-O6G cause I've read good things on it but don't know if it's that much better than the one I picked?

You are going to love it. Just remember that swearing, "is this too much/too little thermal paste?" and thinking you are going to break something while you are installing the cpu cooler are all part of the charm. :)

LilJoka

it's one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015VPFK6M/

i know there are powered ones but would rather not get one unless i really needed it. would this work:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000FNFSPY/

The latter is what you need. It would need to be powered.

A llittle trick I learnt, you only need 2 pairs to do 100mbps. So a single cable can be terminated with 2 pairs of wire each on either end making 2x100mb Ethernet cables.
If you want 1gbps then you need a powered Ethernet switch at the other end of the router where you can use 2 short Ethernet cables to the 2 devices.

You can go mitx and still run full length GPUs if you pick wisely.

Are you looking for a cube case like the Node 304 or a console shaped case?

Bloodember

Change your motherboard to a z270, the z170 is for Skylake . You don't need the thermal paste though, the cooler comes with it preinstalled, unless I'm mistaken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom