• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
so i was just playing about with the settings on my monitor and my mouse feels so much smoother and more responsive. i was just using standard mode but now it is on RTS. i have a benq rl2455hm. what is causing this? i can't believe i've had the monitor for almost 2 years and i've not been using it properly.

I would imagine it's similar to how TVs have a game mode - a mode optimised for the intended use. In your case, RTS mode is probably built for higher responsiveness and precision because well, that's what's useful in an RTS game.

Fake edit: Yeah that's basically what it's for.

Husker86

Got the AOC Agon 165hz Gsync. I was hoping I'd win the panel lottery...but nope.

I can't believe these panels have been around this long and the backlight bleed can still be so bad. And for these prices...

Replacement will take too long so I'm returning. Might see if Costco has them and try one more time, but after that I think I'm going to have to go with a 60Hz 1440p IPS that actually tries to be a good quality monitor. Which sucks, because high refresh rate is awesome, even outside of gaming (which I don't do a whole lot).

I wish we had a more solid release schedule for the next monitors. Why are the only IPS gsync choices all using the same damn panel?

ParityBit

I think I have to upgrade my drivers or something, but I am not sure. This is frustrating. I can not use my Intel hookups (my SSD's are on it)

Vipu

Banned
With this thread, and a little outside help, I put this together a few months ago (http://pcpartpicker.com/list/wG4Qyf) and have been absolutely floored with the results.

But, I've been playing on my ~5 year old 55" inch LED TV and while it's been great, my wife has signed off on the idea of putting a desk somewhere in the common space of the house, and I'll put my PC on it with a monitor.

Everything I've read about G-Sync is that it's a whole new world, and since I have a 1070 it seems like a no brainer (albeit, an expensive no brainer) to go that route - I'm sold on G-Sync.

I'm just curious if my computer is strong enough to take advantage of one of the G-Sync 4k monitors, or just to still with a 1440. My console peasant roots means I'm not a huge resolution snob so 1440 feels like the way to go, but figured if I didn't ask the collective braintrust that is this thread before pulling the trigger, I'd be doing myself a disservice. I'm eyeing the ASUS ROG Swift PG278 vs PG27AQ, and there's only ~$180 difference.

Should go for 1440p 144hz instead 4k anyday of life.

Weevilone

Would I get significant speed increases in boot performance on a 960 pro M.2 drive compared to the 1 TB 850 EVO I'm planning to use as my main drive?

I would generally say no. There are some hardcore use cases that really benefit but for daily use I don't find too much improvement over my old 940 EVO.

It is one of the worst kind of upgrades. When you upgrade, it's subtle enough that it's tough to notice for most people. But when you go back to a SATA SSD you definitely notice that it's slower.

Raylan

Banned
Halp!
I'm helluva confused right now. Feel like a total noob, even tho I'm doing this for 10 years already.

So my rig is almost ready. Connected the cables of my power-supply aaaaand now I have to connect my "MSI GTX 1060 6GB Gaming X" with the PCIE cable.
My power-supply (be quiet Pure Power 600W) has a 6+2 Pin connector. My graphics card requires a 8 pin connector.
So..... the first 6 pins of the 6+2 cable fit perfectly in. But the last 2 pins don't look.... "right". I mean, one of the holes on the graphics card is rounded and the other one is squared.
See here:
EKrrnNv.jpg
The two pins on the PCIE cable are both rounded. So I thought....that means I have the wrong cable, right? So I tried to start my PC with only the 6 pins connected in my GPU. But I only got the message "connect the PCIE cable with your graphics card" on my screen. So I tried to connect the remaining 2 pins with my card and they fit. Even tho one of the pins has a different shape. If I start my PC now it boots up normally and I get the message "put the Windows disc into the disc drive etc."

So can I leave it like it is now? Even when one of the pins had a different shape?

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
Need a bit of input here, got a i5-4690K that's getting WAY too hot (85-90c) with stock intel heatsink, no overclocking on a Asrock Fatality h97 Performance in a Rosewill Redbone with several case fans to keep it cool, and my room is very cool as well.

The only change in my system recently is my new Xfx Radeon 470 4gb I bought after xmas.

Mainly the heat becomes a factor with Xcom 2 (haven't even tried long war yet, just got it and want to beat vanilla first) and video encoding. Oddly enough it seems to run fine with Fallout 4 and other games......

Weevilone

Need a bit of input here, got a i5-4690K that's getting WAY too hot (85-90c) with stock intel heatsink, no overclocking on a Asrock Fatality h97 Performance in a Rosewill Redbone with several case fans to keep it cool, and my room is very cool as well.

The only change in my system recently is my new Xfx Radeon 470 4gb I bought after xmas.

Mainly the heat becomes a factor with Xcom 2 (haven't even tried long war yet, just got it and want to beat vanilla first) and video encoding. Oddly enough it seems to run fine with Fallout 4 and other games......

I would recommend getting a decent cooler. The stock Intel one is pretty shitty tbh. It's quite possible that the silly plastic attachment for the cooler has come loose as well.

You mean the time it takes to boot up your computer? With my 960 Pro, my computer only seems to boot into windows maybe a second faster than my old 840 Pro. It does feel faster when installing applications though.

Would you say overall is it worth paying the extra for it?

Husker86

Got the AOC Agon 165hz Gsync. I was hoping I'd win the panel lottery...but nope.

I can't believe these panels have been around this long and the backlight bleed can still be so bad. And for these prices...

Replacement will take too long so I'm returning. Might see if Costco has them and try one more time, but after that I think I'm going to have to go with a 60Hz 1440p IPS that actually tries to be a good quality monitor. Which sucks, because high refresh rate is awesome, even outside of gaming (which I don't do a whole lot).

I wish we had a more solid release schedule for the next monitors. Why are the only IPS gsync choices all using the same damn panel?

Whew...just got back from Costco with the Acer XB1...it's perfect. No backlight bleed at all.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I would recommend getting a decent cooler. The stock Intel one is pretty shitty tbh. It's quite possible that the silly plastic attachment for the cooler has come loose as well.

I was thinking the same but that EVO cooler that's recommended looks pretty damned big, and I'm not 100% sure it'd fit in my PC, thus why I listed my case & motherboard.

I was thinking the same but that EVO cooler that's recommended looks pretty damned big, and I'm not 100% sure it'd fit in my PC, thus why I listed my case & motherboard.
Get a Cryorig H7. It should fit and provides slightly better cooling than the 212 Evo at the same price, with better mounting and a shorter height.

Weevilone

Yeah there are plenty of small and competent coolers that will be much better than what you have, and fit much more securely.

Be warned that you may need to pull the motherboard if that case doesn't give access to the underside of the CPU socket (back side of the board). Good coolers have a mounting bracket that attaches thru the motherboard.

Gandie

Are you noticing any other high temperatures in your build (eg. GPU temp, motherboard temp)? How old is the processor and with it the pre-applied thermal paste on the stock cooler?

I'll echo the other posters in recommending an aftermarket heatsink. If that is too much of an investment, you could try to clean the remaining paste of the heatsink and CPU and reapply a fresh batch. That should improve things, although an aftermarket cooler will always be better in terms of temps and noise.

I think Xcom is very heavy on the CPU, which would explain the discrepancy. Haven't played it myself though.

sixghost

I need some help with my new GPU.

The image quality looks like crap, even when I'm just at the desktop or in a web browser. I don't know how to describe it other than everything looks off.

I used to have a 7870, I replaced it with a 480. The 7870 was using the DVI output and was connected to the VGA port on my monitor. I'm using an HDMI cable now.

I updated the AMD Settings program to 16.12.2, which was the most current recommended version. Device manager shows the driver version as 21.19.407.0 from 12/23/2016 for the graphics card.

The resolution shows as 1920x1080, which is the native resolution for my monitor. I'm not sure what to try next.

Wallach

Struggling to decide between waiting for the Omen X 35" or springing now for the Samsung CF791. After using my X800D I've decided to go VA rather than IPS for my next monitor. I'd probably rather have G-Sync as I currently figure AMD is just going to get outdone by the next Ti card, but I do like the Samsung QD panels a lot and the curve on the Samsung is a little tighter (1500R vs 1800R) which I imagine is better for reducing any off-angle color shift from your normal position. The price difference is pretty big here too, about $350 for basically switching FreeSync for G-Sync.

Wanted to quote myself here because I drove a bit today to get eyes directly on the CF791.

Yeah, no. If that is a similar panel that is going into the upcoming AGON or the Omen X, forget about it. The pixel response time is sad. Smearing abounds.

Really don't know what to do. I want G-Sync back but every fuckin' monitor with decent specs seems like a minefield or panel lottery.

Jamaro85

I think I've finalized my build - thoughts? (Thanks to Bloodember who gave me a template to start with, and after doing research over the last week I ended up choosing most of what he started me with)

PCPartPicker part list

CPU: Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Micro Center)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270M-PLUS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Micro Center w/ $30 CPU combo discount)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($94.99 @ Newegg - sale ends Monday)
Storage: Intel 600p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($164.99 @ Micro Center)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($44.99 @ Micro Center)
Video Card: Asus Radeon RX 480 4GB Dual Video Card ($169.99 @ Micro Center after $20 mail in rebate)
Case: Fractal Design Define Mini C MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $1009.91 (Before tax)

550W should easily be fine for this? And I should be ok with WD Blue over Black if I'm mostly using it as a temporary storage drive? (I have a NAS drive for more permanent storage)

Erebus

What's the difference between a Pentium G4560 and say i3-7300T besides cache capacity?
I mean both are 2C/4T and cannot be overclocked as far as I'm concerned.

Will I gain any significant performance by going with the i3?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Can someone recommend a decent LGA 1151 mobo? I don't need anything high end, but I'm helping a friend out and I built my PC two years ago, so I'm behind the times.

J3ffro

Should go for 1440p 144hz instead 4k anyday of life.

Wow, that's quite the endorsement. I'll forget about 4K.

Eta: JonnyDBrit I saw your comment too. Thanks for the insight, I'm not a huge framerate counter, but definitely prefer to stick with the strength of the card, which sounds like 1440 is it.

Bloodember

What the heck is the difference between a Western Digital Black and "Black Performance" HDD? Link has the two HDDs in question.

http://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntt=wd+black+1tb+internal

Using the comparison tool, it looks like the only difference might be that the "Black Performance" comes in a retail box whereas the regular Black is a bulk item.

Yes that's the only difference.

Kabylake with moderate overclocking (I recommended a hyper 212 evo)
Kaby Lake, yes. But not the arciac 212 evo.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Would you say overall is it worth paying the extra for it?

To me it's worth paying extra. Not only for the increase in speed, but also to plug it directly into my motherboard and not have to run any cables/wires to it. I don't even use internal SATA anymore.

To me it's worth paying extra. Not only for the increase in speed, but also to plug it directly into my motherboard and not have to run any cables/wires to it. I don't even use internal SATA anymore.

The thing is I already have a 500gb 850 evo for my OS and some games and a 1tb crucial SSD for other stuff so I'm just wondering if I should add a 500gb 960 pro for the OS and use the other two for games. I can always use the extra space just not sure if it's worth the extra money

Whew...just got back from Costco with the Acer XB1...it's perfect. No backlight bleed at all.

Costco has this? How much is it?

Can anybody give me some monitor recommendations that are less than $250? I'm looking at monitors for my brother and am not really sure what to be looking for since I haven't shopped for one in forever. He's looking at the one below, but I thought it looked kind of expensive for a 1080p monitor and also read that 16:10 isn't great for gaming/media compared to 16:9.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NZTKOQI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

(Edit) Forgot to mention this will be his second monitor and he will be using it as his "Main" one and using his old one on the side.

Wallach

I started ordering. What are the chances of a new GPU coming out by the end of the month?

Nearly zero. Nvidia is likely to hold the 1080 Ti until best suited to combat Vega's release directly, so I don't expect it to actually launch until then (supposedly around June according to AMD).

Blarg

Neo Member
Any suggestions on an upgrade to my 360 controller? I'd like something with similar ergonomics/layout but with a good d-pad for emulation/indies. And it'd be nice if it worked on Linux as well (I dual boot).

I have my eye on the new XB1 S version but is the d-pad any good? I've used the original XB1 controller and disliked the short, stiff, "clickiness" of it.

My local Costco's been selling them for $679.

Oh wow. I will check my local Costco tomorrow.

Any suggestions on an upgrade to my 360 controller? I'd like something with similar ergonomics/layout but with a good d-pad for emulation/indies. And it'd be nice if it worked on Linux as well (I dual boot).

I have my eye on the new XB1 S version but is the d-pad any good? I've used the original XB1 controller and disliked the short, stiff, "clickiness" of it.

The new XB1 controller is nice with a wireless pc adapter. I personally never like using Bluetooth on pc. You can also use a dualshock 4 wired or wireless (I prefer wired). As far as dpad for the XB1 controller, it's much better than the 360 dpad but the assymetrical layout makes it awkward for me because it's not like the dualshock 4 where the dpad and face buttons are alligned. I have both for my pc and I use both depending on the type of game I'm playing. If I'm using a dpad I use my DS4

Also, for emulation I use a buffalo sens controller. Not sure if I answered your question but these are what I use

Blarg

Neo Member
Oh wow. I will check my local Costco tomorrow.

The new XB1 controller is nice with a wireless pc adapter. I personally never like using Bluetooth on pc. You can also use a dualshock 4 wired or wireless (I prefer wired). As far as dpad for the XB1 controller, it's much better than the 360 dpad but the assymetrical layout makes it awkward for me because it's not like the dualshock 4 where the dpad and face buttons are alligned. I have both for my pc and I use both depending on the type of game I'm playing. If I'm using a dpad I use my DS4

Also, for emulation I use a buffalo sens controller. Not sure if I answered your question but these are what I use

Thanks for the suggestions. Yeah, it might be best just to use a separate controller with an ideal d-pad for emulation.

Forgot to post my build

Favorite upgrade by far is the SSD. Can't believe I waited so long for that. Decent enough cable management also thanks to the case. Not a fan of how the CPU AIO Cables are kind of resting on GPU though.

iHaunter

Anyone know if there's an official release date for 1080 Ti?

Have a 5930K, still rockin a GTX 970. Need a big boost for Star Citizen.

Bloodember

Anyone know if there's an official release date for 1080 Ti?

Have a 5930K, still rockin a GTX 970. Need a big boost for Star Citizen.

No, Nvidia hasn't even announced it yet. They're probably waiting for AMD to release their new cards, which is looking like June.

ISee

Rumors were Q1 2017.

Oh well. Maybe we'll see it in Q2.

I think they're holding it back to counter the 490x/Fury x2 (or whatever AMD is going to call their newest high end gpu).

I7 7700 non k or I5 7600k? For gaming.

Same price?
It's a hard decision. The 7700 is (apparently) just boosting to 4.2 ghz (4.5 on the 7700k), while the 7600k can be brought to 5.0ghz (overclock, most of the time), but the ability to handle more threadsis already important and it will get even more important down the road. The 7600k is of course a great CPU and more then fast enough for current games. Still, seeing how good the 2600k is ageing and how old i5s are beginning to struggle (of course not in every game) the 4c/8t variant might be the better option for future games.
Just look at Watch_Dogs 2 (which is an extremely CPU hungry open world game).
A stock i7 2600k is still able to outperform an overclocked 2500k by ~10% (stock 7700k is 25% faster then a stock 7600k).

Of course, as already mentioned, that's not the case in all games:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom