• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Asus does the same thing. If I leave those 2 voltages on Auto they go ham.

The problem with mine is that even if I manually set the voltage it is still dangerously high and I'm worried it's going to damage my CPU. No matter what I try to do the System Agent won't come down

bG5OC7A.jpg

It even shows my manually entered 1.15V in orange which means it's on the higher end of the range and if I try to enter 1.4V it's in red so the motherboard clearly understands that 1.4V is too high but I just doesn't respond to my input for system agent. I've tried everything at this point. I think Im going to send this MB back

I will set everything manually. But like I said earlier, I should not have to do that. I understand how to
Do all this but I shouldn't have to. And the main issue I'm having is that the bios is ignoring my manual VCCSA voltage of 1.15v and still assigning 1.4V with XMP on or OFF. It's a brand new releases motherboard so there are no bios updates.

Also I appreciate the feedback. Thank you. DRAM frequency is 3000mhz

just because the motherboards are new releases doesn't mean there aren't BIOS updates for them already

some boards have already had 4 or 5 updates already just since January

you might want to just double check your BIOS version matches what the newest one is on ASUS' site for whatever MB you have

just because the motherboards are new releases doesn't mean there aren't BIOS updates for them already

some boards have already had 4 or 5 updates already just since January

you might want to just double check your BIOS version matches what the newest one is on ASUS' site for whatever MB you have

I have. I even downloaded and installed the latest bios which was the same as the current one

To clarify, there is only one available bios on the asus support site and it's the same as the one on my MB. I tried reinstalling the bios and it didn't help

Retsudo

So, in the last 48 hours, and for a number of times the display port on my gpu suddendly stopped working. If i connect the monitor to the integrated gpu in the cpu it works, and after a few tries the graphics card will start working again. Now i, have tried both display port connections and even the hdmi connections on the gpu (Strix 1070), and when it fails nothing works. I tried it on another screen as well to make sure.

Its 1 month old, so i can still return it until tomorrow,but i'm thinking it might also be the psu.
It´s a Super Flower SF-650P14XE (HX) - SuperFlower Golden Green HX 650W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply. Should i just return the gpu and if it continues happening check out possible problems in the psu or motherboard (Asus z270 prime k). Or am i missing another possible issue?

LilJoka

I will set everything manually. But like I said earlier, I should not have to do that. I understand how to
Do all this but I shouldn't have to. And the main issue I'm having is that the bios is ignoring my manual VCCSA voltage of 1.15v and still assigning 1.4V with XMP on or OFF. It's a brand new releases motherboard so there are no bios updates.

Also I appreciate the feedback. Thank you. DRAM frequency is 3000mhz

Brand new board means very early bios.
Imo Asus is making the best boards right now, your alternatives will lack on multiple other areas.
Go and double check if there is a bios update.

Just installed some more fans into my setup. How is my airflow set up do you think?

Wanted to make sure I've set it up properlly

Excessive.
2 intake 1 exhaust for positive pressure (less dust build up)
Or
1 intake and 2 exhaust for negative pressure
Or
2 intake and 2 exhaust with slower/faster combination for pressure requirement.

I bet if you had just 1 intake and 1 exhaust you would see no difference in temps.

Considering you have an AIO for the CPU, the setup makes even less sense since the only cooling you need is flow for the GPU.

I would have just a single intake and exhaust plus the AIO as intake for slightly positive pressure.
I would add a fan for the HDD rack only if they are getting over 45c.

Dereck

For whatever reason my new computer stopped detecting my keyboard on boot. It will boot up, but I have to unplug the keyboard and plug it back in after it gets to the desktop for the computer to recognize it.

Thought about changing the BIOS settings but the keyboard doesn't come on during boot

Weevilone

So, in the last 48 hours, and for a number of times the display port on my gpu suddendly stopped working. If i connect the monitor to the integrated gpu in the cpu it works, and after a few tries the graphics card will start working again. Now i, have tried both display port connections and even the hdmi connections on the gpu (Strix 1070), and when it fails nothing works. I tried it on another screen as well to make sure.

Its 1 month old, so i can still return it until tomorrow,but i'm thinking it might also be the psu.
It´s a Super Flower SF-650P14XE (HX) - SuperFlower Golden Green HX 650W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply. Should i just return the gpu and if it continues happening check out possible problems in the psu or motherboard (Asus z270 prime k). Or am i missing another possible issue?

It's a bug in the Asus Z270 motherboards. I've tried to report it a couple of times and I keep being told by Asus and Asus fanpersons that it doesn't exist. I exchanged one of their boards for another, and then switched to a different board altogether (still Asus Z270 tho) and the issue has followed me. If I had a dollar for every time I've had to switch to integrated graphics while trying to tune things, I'd have a free motherboard.

When I'm having issues, it'll often eventually boot to Windows if I wait, but it won't show any of the POST information (and naturally I can't enter BIOS).

Retsudo

It's a bug in the Asus Z270 motherboards. I've tried to report it a couple of times and I keep being told by Asus and Asus fanpersons that it doesn't exist. I exchanged one of their boards for another, and then switched to a different board altogether (still Asus Z270 tho) and the issue has followed me.

Well Shit. Now we play the waiting game until some driver fixes it? or if it is unfixable we are shit out of luck? :(

Weevilone

Well Shit. Now we play the waiting game until some driver fixes it? or if it is unfixable we are shit out of luck? :(

I'm sure it's a BIOS update if they ever recognize the issue. I've run into others having the problem too. It seems like Auto doesn't work right and PEG doesn't stick when selected. It doesn't seem like it's happening to everyone though.. so it's strange. I'm using the Maximus Hero board with an EVGA 1080 FTW via DisplayPort. The Tuf Mark 1 MB also suffers from it.

Jamaro85

While I can't speak for the visual quality of any of the monitors, the AOC one has by far the best specification when it comes to Freesync itself. Something you need to keep in mind when buying Freesync monitors is that each monitor has a range of refresh rates it supports via Freesync. You want this range to be as big as possible, but most importantly you want there to be a 2.5x or more ratio between the bottom and top of the range, because this means the monitor will support something called low frame rate compensation (or LFC). This allows AMD's drivers to give you most of the benefits of Freesync even below the minimum refresh rate of the monitor by doubling up frames.

The monitors you're looking at have the following Freesync ranges (ratios in brackets):

Asus VG245H - 40Hz to 75Hz (1.87x)
AOC G2460PF - 35Hz to 144Hz (4.11x)
ViewSonic VX2457 - 48Hz to 75Hz (1.56x)

As you can see, only the AOC model has the 2.5x or above ratio necessary to support LFC. This means that if your frame rate dips below 40 fps on the Asus or 48 fps on the ViewSonic you drop back to regular old v-sync. In comparison, the AOC monitor will give you the benefits of Freesync pretty much everywhere from 1 fps to 144 fps. Added to the fact that you get 144Hz support in the first place, if you're buying a monitor specifically for Freesync then the AOC model would seem like by far the best one to go for.

Appreciate the explanation. I did notice the large FreeSync range of the AOC after I made that post and that made me even more receptive to it.

What I'm wondering now is whether there are other options I should be considering (primarily for gaming) in the sub $300 range that do not use FreeSync. IPS for instance doesn't seem to go hand in hand with FreeSync in that price range.

Retsudo

I'm sure it's a BIOS update if they ever recognize the issue. I've run into others having the problem too. It seems like Auto doesn't work right and PEG doesn't stick when selected. It doesn't seem like it's happening to everyone though.. so it's strange. I'm using the Maximus Hero board with an EVGA 1080 FTW via DisplayPort. The Tuf Mark 1 MB also suffers from it.

Hmm let's hope they recognize it then. The XMP settings on my board seem to not be sticking aswell, now that i'm looking at the UEFI screen. It should be 3200mhz but for some reason it wont go over 2133mhz. XMP is on but i'm not sure whats happening.

Ludono

Excessive.
2 intake 1 exhaust for positive pressure (less dust build up)
Or
1 intake and 2 exhaust for negative pressure
Or
2 intake and 2 exhaust with slower/faster combination for pressure requirement.

I bet if you had just 1 intake and 1 exhaust you would see no difference in temps.

Considering you have an AIO for the CPU, the setup makes even less sense since the only cooling you need is flow for the GPU.

I would have just a single intake and exhaust plus the AIO as intake for slightly positive pressure.
I would add a fan for the HDD rack only if they are getting over 45c.

Excessive... but not detrimental ? I mean if its makes no differences I'll just leave it as is. I did notice the GPU temps on idle are about 5-10 degrees cooler than previously (1 less fan on top, bottom and front.)

Brand new board means very early bios.
Imo Asus is making the best boards right now, your alternatives will lack on multiple other areas.
Go and double check if there is a bios update.

My last build was with a Z97 ROG Hero and it's still going strong and was the most stable pc I've ever owned. My mom is using that pc now and it's great so I do respect their products.

For this build, I originally went with the Asrock Z170 Fatality iTX board and it ended up being a great little board. I decided to return it and wait for the Asus Strix Z270i because it has a M.2 slot on top and a cooler heatsink to boot which is pretty awesome. So that's how I ended up with this setup now with a 960 Pro SSD that is running relatively cool up top instead of being wedged between my board and the case on other iTX board. So I'm happy overall except for this VCCSA voltage. It's not just a little bit high , it's alarmingly high which is concerning but also makes me think the bios is reporting the voltage incorrectly. That's what I'm hoping at least. My temps are a little higher than usual but not by much. I have a full custom loop so it's going to keep the CPU cool regardless. I guess I'll wait for a bios update. If it kills my CPU then that would be fucked up.

This is what the final build looks like:

j5xojtp.jpg

i7 6700K with EK Block
GTX 1080 FE with EK Block
32gb RAM
960 Pro 512gb SSD (plus two other SATA 3 SSD's)
EK D5 Pump
Alphacool and Hardware Labs Radiators
Gentle Typhoon Fans (Running between 500-1250RPM)

LilJoka

Excessive... but not detrimental ? I mean if its makes no differences I'll just leave it as is. I did notice the GPU temps on idle are about 5-10 degrees cooler than previously (1 less fan on top, bottom and front.)

The only detriment would be dust build up and noise.

My last build was with a Z97 ROG Hero and it's still going strong and was the most stable pc I've ever owned. My mom is using that pc now and it's great so I do respect their products.

For this build, I originally went with the Asrock Z170 Fatality iTX board and it ended up being a great little board. I decided to return it and wait for the Asus Strix Z270i because it has a M.2 slot on top and a cooler heatsink to boot which is pretty awesome. So that's how I ended up with this setup now with a 960 Pro SSD that is running relatively cool up top instead of being wedged between my board and the case on other iTX board. So I'm happy overall except for this VCCSA voltage. It's not just a little bit high , it's alarmingly high which is concerning but also makes me think the bios is reporting the voltage incorrectly. That's what I'm hoping at least. My temps are a little higher than usual but not by much. I have a full custom loop so it's going to keep the CPU cool regardless. I guess I'll wait for a bios update. If it kills my CPU then that would be fucked up.

It's dangerous at 1.40v.
As you say - is this a reporting issue or much worse? What does Asus software or HWmonitor report it in windows?

Best to contact Asus either via Raja at overclock.net or the Asus forums.

In the meantime just run ram at stock, not a massive deal.

They'll fix with a bios update I'm sure.

Also try
CMOS reset
Reflash bios
Reset to defaults

Bios update and I very much doubt it's unfixable.

Jamaro85

Just installed some more fans into my setup. How is my airflow set up do you think?

Wanted to make sure I've set it up properlly

Here's a video of GPU/CPU peak temps with different fan configurations (ranging from 1 front/1 back to 2 front/1 back/2 top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ

Skip to 11:48 if you just want to look at the charted results. You'll see that ultimately having a bunch of fans doesn't make a huge difference in CPU/GPU temps. It doesn't do anything with bottom fans but I can't imagine it would make a world of difference.

It's dangerous at 1.40v.
As you say - is this a reporting issue or much worse? What does Asus software or HWmonitor report it in windows?

Best to contact Asus either via Raja at overclock.net or the Asus forums.

In the meantime just run ram at stock, not a massive deal.

They'll fix with a bios update I'm sure.

Also try
CMOS reset
Reflash bios
Reset to defaults

Bios update and I very much doubt it's unfixable.

I've tried all of your suggestions including running ram at stock and manually inputting all voltages. Everything works except for System Agent stuck at a high voltage. HWinfo64 Currently reporting 1.360V

LilJoka

I've tried all of your suggestions including running ram at stock and manually inputting all voltages. Everything works except for System Agent. HWinfo64 Currently reporting 1.360V

Yeah that's messed up, I wouldn't want to run my CPU with 1.40v VCCSA.
I would start shouting at Asus - either for RMA or information on when it'll be fixed. I would get a thread going too over there. If you are in North America try PM Raja@Asus on overclock.net.

Weevilone

I've tried all of your suggestions including running ram at stock and manually inputting all voltages. Everything works except for System Agent stuck at a high voltage. HWinfo64 Currently reporting 1.360V

It might be worth resetting CMOS and redoing all your BIOS tweaks. Perhaps then it might behave.

Yeah that's messed up, I wouldn't want to run my CPU with 1.40v VCCSA.
I would start shouting at Asus - either for RMA or information on when it'll be fixed. I would get a thread going too over there. If you are in North America try PM Raja@Asus on overclock.net.

Thank you. I was about to ask about Raja. Will do that right away.

It might be worth resetting CMOS and redoing all your BIOS tweaks. Perhaps then it might behave.

I jumped the cmos reset header several times and no luck.

Just to remove any doubt, try running the system outside of the case. Just in case something is tripping some components on the underside.

Good idea. I'll try that even though it's gonna be difficult with my hoses running everywhere inside this tiny iTX case. I'm not draining my loop again

btw I IM'd Raja. Thank you for that

Weevilone

Hmm let's hope they recognize it then. The XMP settings on my board seem to not be sticking aswell, now that i'm looking at the UEFI screen. It should be 3200mhz but for some reason it wont go over 2133mhz. XMP is on but i'm not sure whats happening.

Does your motherboard have the alpha-numeric Q-Codes? If so maybe check to see what that says when your video acts up. I can't get mine to do it when I want it to.

Retsudo

Does your motherboard have the alpha-numeric Q-Codes? If so maybe check to see what that says when your video acts up. I can't get mine to do it when I want it to.

No alpha-numeric Q-Codes in this board unfortunately. reset everything in the uefi, andso far so good. Except the memory is not running at the speed it should but oh well.

Ludono

I usually wear headphones when I game and when idling I don't find it so loud so noise isn't an issue for me at least.

Dust-wise I have install filters over the intake fans to prevent this, I just wipe the filters clean every so often.

Here's a video of GPU/CPU peak temps with different fan configurations (ranging from 1 front/1 back to 2 front/1 back/2 top.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OmkmluAYAQ

Skip to 11:48 if you just want to look at the charted results. You'll see that ultimately having a bunch of fans doesn't make a huge difference in CPU/GPU temps. It doesn't do anything with bottom fans but I can't imagine it would make a world of difference.

Thanks for the video, was a good watch. They didn't go into as many fans as I did but I get the point, diminishing returns and all that. But if it doesn't hurt it then those extra few degrees lower are great :)

Jamaro85

Thanks for the video, was a good watch. They didn't go into as many fans as I did but I get the point, diminishing returns and all that. But if it doesn't hurt it then those extra few degrees lower are great :)

Oh yeah, I can't imagine it hurts at all, and you surely are getting a couple extra degrees out of the fans. Sometimes that can make all the difference when you're pushing the clocks.

Ludono

Oh yeah, I can't imagine it hurts at all, and you surely are getting a couple extra degrees out of the fans. Sometimes that can make all the difference when you're pushing the clocks.

Yeah, I have my 6700K at a nice 4.6gHz currently, but the additionally fans won't change much that since I have it on a liquid cooler. The GPU however stays nice and cool on idle.

And even on load it doesn't really break 55/60

Weevilone

No alpha-numeric Q-Codes in this board unfortunately. reset everything in the uefi, andso far so good. Except the memory is not running at the speed it should but oh well.

There are new beta BIOS' floating around for the Maximus boards so perhaps some tweaks coming soon.

not sure if wrong thread for this but... how come when im downloading a game on steam and I play rocket league multi, my ping skyrockets in RL and i rubber band?

LilJoka

Thank you. I was about to ask about Raja. Will do that right away.

I jumped the cmos reset header several times and no luck.

Good idea. I'll try that even though it's gonna be difficult with my hoses running everywhere inside this tiny iTX case. I'm not draining my loop again

btw I IM'd Raja. Thank you for that

Just leave the loop connected to all your parts.

I usually wear headphones when I game and when idling I don't find it so loud so noise isn't an issue for me at least.

Dust-wise I have install filters over the intake fans to prevent this, I just wipe the filters clean every so often.

There isn't a filter in the world that'll help.
A few degrees doesn't mean anything - you'll have more variance just from ambients (x^2 relationship).

If noise isn't a problem then go for it, there's nothing 'wrong'.

It's safe to run the CPU and GPU up to 75c whilst gaming - that needs little airflow to achieve these days and allows for silent rigs, if that's what you care for. There is no point dropping temps from 60 to 55.

not sure if wrong thread for this but... how come when im downloading a game on steam and I play rocket league multi, my ping skyrockets in RL and i rubber band?

Tje diwnload should pause to prevent that exact behaviour. Check the steam settings if it isn't pausing.

Sir_JD

Neo Member
Gaf! Quick question:

I'm grabbing a Noctua NH-D15 for my new build, but the brown / cream coloured fans are killing me (figuratively, of course). Any recommendations for replacement black / white fans that perform just as well? Don't want to sacrifice performance for looks, but if there's something comparable out there, I'd like it a whole lot more than...whatever this colour scheme is.

Thanks!

Bloodember

Gaf! Quick question:

I'm grabbing a Noctua NH-D15 for my new build, but the brown / cream coloured fans are killing me (figuratively, of course). Any recommendations for replacement black / white fans that perform just as well? Don't want to sacrifice performance for looks, but if there's something comparable out there, I'd like it a whole lot more than...whatever this colour scheme is.

Thanks!

Look at the Noctua Industrial fans. They are black.

Kito

I'm grabbing a Noctua NH-D15 for my new build, but the brown / cream coloured fans are killing me (figuratively, of course). Any recommendations for replacement black / white fans that perform just as well?

Get the NH-D15S, which hides a single fan, instead. If your heatsink will be close to a case fan, you won't need two fans anyway.

Yeah I've got my i7 920 oc'ed to 4ghz with a 212 Evo cooler, 12gb ram, and a GTX 1070. The problem with the temps seems to be the VREG is sky high temp wise and leaks ton of hot air in the case. The chipset fan also is clogged with hair and dust and looks to be dead.
I had that same issue and now it's the same with my new i7 7700k build (temps reach 80c+ on load). Is that safe or normal for an i7 7700k? I have an Evo 212 cooler as well.

If those temps aren't normal, then I need to check the settings of the software for the mobo and GPU...

Weevilone

I had that same issue and now it's the same with my new i7 7700k build (temps reach 80c+ on load). Is that safe or normal for an i7 7700k? I have an Evo 212 cooler as well.

If those temps aren't normal, then I need to check the settings of the software for the mobo and GPU...

It depends on what's you are doing. If you are overclocking a 7700k and run AVX stress tests you can hit 100C.

Bloodember

Nice! Those look much better. Any ideas on which one, specifically, I'd need for replacing those on the NH-D15?

Looks like any of the 140mm with 4-pin PWM would work. Matters what speed, how loud, and air flow you want and if you want IP67. Since it's an air cooler don't think you need the IP67 though.

Today I finally hit the wall with my Graphics card, I loaded up For Honor on high, everything was going fine until I went outside, then it chugged....HARD.

jediyoshi

Booooooo, Intel updated the ark site and now there's a bunch of padding and white space everywhere.

Today I finally hit the wall with my Graphics card, I loaded up For Honor on high, everything was going fine until I went outside, then it chugged....HARD.

The game is pretty intensive on storage due to constantly streaming in the data. I moved it from an HDD to SSD and basically doubled my framerate. Here's the benchmark on my 7600k/gtx970 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AmigofJHXg

It depends on what's you are doing. If you are overclocking a 7700k and run AVX stress tests you can hit 100C.

It's rendering videos. I suspect it's the mobo settings since these fancy new mobos have all these options to control performance. I don't even OC. I just run everything on default. I'm a simple man.

Lethal

Neo Member
Running Prime, my 7700k got up to near 100. 4.9ghz@1.37ish? Using a corsair h80i.

I dropped it down to 4.6ghz after seeing the Digital Foundry video where they show that the higher frequencies dont actually offer much of a boost. It hits around 83 now at full load. But I still wanna delid. Just need to find a place to do it for me

Running Prime, my 7700k got up to near 100. 4.9ghz@1.37ish? Using a corsair h80i.

I dropped it down to 4.6ghz after seeing the Digital Foundry video where they show that the higher frequencies dont actually offer much of a boost. It hits around 83 now at full load. But I still wanna delid. Just need to find a place to do it for me

100C with 1.37V and a h80i?

my 6700K doesn't go past 85 at 1.385V with a 212X when running IBT. at 4.5/1.34V it is about 80C

i think the kabylakes are fine with a light/moderate overclock but pushing it to near 5GHz will cause crazy temps and you will probably need to delid. 4.6ghz isn't much of an overclock for a 7700k since it's stock speeds are 4.2/4.5 turbo.

Jarmel

Banned
Good lord there are a lot of bullshit scam artists on Ebay trying to sell 1080 GTXs. I fucked up and bought one from this guy in Poland.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282355558292?_trksid=p2060353.m2750.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Luckily I looked at some other recent sales afterwards and noticed he was selling three for the same price in the same week or so. So I went further backwards and found multiple accounts from Poland selling a bunch of 1080s. I was able to cancel my payment, I put it on my CC anyway, but now the guy is trying to argue he's legit. This is the recent email I sent him.

Ok, I find it interesting how there are multiple people in Poland who so happened to have purchased roughly three SNES games.

http://www.ebay.com/usr/joamaggijobn-0?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

http://www.ebay.com/usr/maggiesjobnlecha0?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...=25&iid=-1&de=off&which=positive&interval=365

All of whom are now selling 1080 GTXs in a roughly three month period. Some of the above also have negative feedback. This is pretty obvious.
Wow, what a fucking coincidence. There's a big market for SNES games in Poland. I guess this is serving as a warning for people.

Majine

Banned
I've been thinking of getting one of those Corsair MP500 M.2 NVMe SSDs, and booting Windows from it. Will it make a difference is boot times over SATA SSDs?

LilJoka

100C with 1.37V and a h80i?

my 6700K doesn't go past 85 at 1.385V with a 212X when running IBT. at 4.5/1.34V it is about 80C

i think the kabylakes are fine with a light/moderate overclock but pushing it to near 5GHz will cause crazy temps and you will probably need to delid. 4.6ghz isn't much of an overclock for a 7700k since it's stock speeds are 4.2/4.5 turbo.

You have to factor in chip leakage, vcore on its own isnt the entire story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom