• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2016 Plus Ultra! HBM2, VR, 144Hz, and 4K for all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same basic model, slightly slower on core clock and boost clock. That said at 50 dollars cheaper, and potentially 80 dollars cheaper (not sure how ebay bucks work) that is actually a pretty good deal I'd say.

I am not able to get the 10% off for some reason, so I will wait a bit longer. thanks again

I am not able to get the 10% off for some reason, so I will wait a bit longer. thanks again

Ah, figured it out after googling. You earn ebay bucks on qualifying purchases and then receive a usable certificate of them at the end of each calendar quarter. In this case you earn $35 dollar to be able to spend and purchase on something else, rather than internally on this purchase.

Smokey

What's the current best 120mm fan for case airflow at reasonably low volume? (~900-1000 rpm) It has to be black with no LEDs.
Noctua Industrials? Corsair Magnetic Levitations?
Also, what would be a good fan controller for 4-5? or otherwise would you just buy some fan extension cables and run them all off of the motherboard?

I've been using the NZXT Sentry Mix 2 fan controller since 2014. I'm using it to control 4 fans. 3x 120mm in the front of my case, 1x 140mm in the rear. It works well enough, but I can't see what RPM the fans are running at.

Funny you mention the Corsair ML series. I've been looking at them heavy the past few days to replace my current AF120s.

After a year of searching for the perfect screen, I settled with a Sony X800d as my monitor. I love ultrawide but the IPS screens lack the contrast and black levels.

I just set the custom resolution to 3840x1640 for some native (with black bars at the bottom due to less than native vertical res) ultrawide goodness.

Click

This may be of use to you, it's the specfic set-up and install guide for your laptop, found it on the side of the driver page on the website so should hopefully work for you.

Thanks

Mostly links for windows 8.

I installed almost every setup file on the drivers pack with no avail! display is weird, network card not working (wired and wireless)

Not sure what do I have to do.. I tried installing HP recovery manager from here but it just extracts to a folder and I cannot run it!

Bloodember

Thanks

Mostly links for windows 8.

I installed almost every setup file on the drivers pack with no avail! display is weird, network card not working (wired and wireless)

Not sure what do I have to do.. I tried installing HP recovery manager from here but it just extracts to a folder and I cannot run it!

Have you tried installing the hardware through the device manager? Since you already installed all the drivers, the hardware should find the drivers on your computer.

Gandie

5ox5S4u.jpg

One more picture of my build. I'm so proud and happy.

Jarmel

Banned
So I think I'm going to go with a 1070 and I'm looking at the Zotac Amp variants. The problem I'm running into is that I can't find any good comparisons between the two AMP versions, one with a 1.80 clock boost and the other with a 1.84 clock boost. Does anyone know of any benchmarks for the two?

AMP 1.80 GHZ 1070

AMP 1.84 GHZ 1070

Just trying to make sure it's worth the extra money. I have a 1600p monitor so I'm leaning towards getting the 1.84. I'm also mentally debating and splurging to get the 1080 but that seems overkill.

Pegasus Actual

Gold Member
Anyone else still running with an i7 920 or thereabouts? I'm considering finally upgrading, but curious to hear how other folks are getting by using this cpu. Anyone recently upgraded to Skylake or Kabylake from this?

I haven't had much trouble running newer games, but my CPU is at 83c+ when it's under intense load. I can't help but think it's only a matter of time before it burns out
I upgraded from an i7 930 to a 6700k and I couldn't be happier. Personally I heard a lot about my old i7 was still passable and bought into it, but upgrading made a huge difference for me even before I added the new vid card and gsync monitor. Maybe I'm really sensitive to lower min frame rates and frame pacing issues. I wish I had upgraded sooner.

Weevilone

So I think I'm going to go with a 1070 and I'm looking at the Zotac Amp variants. The problem I'm running into is that I can't find any good comparisons between the two AMP versions, one with a 1.80 clock boost and the other with a 1.84 clock boost. Does anyone know of any benchmarks for the two?

AMP 1.80 GHZ 1070

AMP 1.84 GHZ 1070

Just trying to make sure it's worth the extra money.

Differences like that are just round off noise. You need to look at other things like noise from the cooler or whatever. The cards are also so trivial to overclock that unless the manufacturer is binning, it's just negligible differences.

Jarmel

Banned
Differences like that are just round off noise. You need to look at other things like noise from the cooler or whatever. The cards are also so trivial to overclock that unless the manufacturer is binning, it's just negligible differences.

Well I'm thinking that the .4 might be a bit beneficial in my case due to my monitor (1600p) as I would like to average 60 FPS in most games, especially the Witcher 3. I could overclock it but it seems like the AMP 1070 as it is would be borderline, so it might give me a bit of wiggle room.

Stevey

Just out of personal curiosity, why do a lot of people put all the latest best components in their new builds but then cheap out on the GPU?

Gandie

Looking nice. What's the list of parts? Can see the motherboard's a Z170-HD3P.

Case: Fractal Design Define S
CPU: 6600k
CPU Cooler: Matterhorn Pure White
Storage: 1 TB Samsung Evo 850
RAM: 16 GB Ballistix Sport 2400
GPU: Inno3d IChill 1060 6GB
PSU: bequiet pure power 9 600w

an additional case fan and some no name led strips with molex - sata adapters.

Non-related question: Any downside on not plugging in the HDD activity LED? It's an ugly blue light in the above case.

Just out of personal curiosity, why do a lot of people put all the latest best components in their new builds but then cheap out on the GPU?

Usually because the GPU is something that can be more readily upgraded, and won't even necessarily last as long anyway.

Like, that's why I jumped on getting the 6700k from LilJoka, and subsequently a new motherboard to go with it, even though my current GPU - a GTX 970 - effectively bottlenecks it. I know that the CPU if coupled with a much more powerful GPU has some pretty long legs to stretch, so I'd rather get that upfront and have the more powerful GPU down the line, rather than the reverse.

Edit:
Case: Fractal Design Define S
CPU: 6600k
CPU Cooler: Matterhorn Pure White
Storage: 1 TB Samsung Evo 850
RAM: 16 GB Ballistix Sport 2400
GPU: Inno3d IChill 1060 6GB
PSU: bequiet pure power 9 600w

an additional case fan and some no name led strips with molex - sata adapters.

Also, very nice.

Big Chungus

I just replaced my r7 265 with a 970...I might have a problem though...

When I pushed down the card into the pci-e slot, the heatsink enclosure moved a bit, I took a closer look and it looks like the entire thing is wobbling/loose.

Not extremely wobbly/loose but if I apply some force it moved around.

Should I be worried? Are there steps I can take to see if the card is ok like following gpu temps?

I just replaced my r7 265 with a 970...I might have a problem though...

When I pushed down the card into the pci-e slot, the heatsink enclosure moved a bit, I took a closer look and it looks like the entire thing is wobbling/loose.

Not extremely wobbly/loose but if I apply some force it moved around.

Should I be worried? Are there steps I can take to see if the card is ok like following gpu temps?

For monitoring temps, use a program like MSI Afterburner, have it set to show temps in the on-screen display during gameplay. From there, it's a matter of keeping an eye on it and seeing how it runs relative to the GPU usage. A 970, depending on model, can be expected to hit around or just under 80 degrees when under full load. If you start hitting above that, then you're in trouble.

Weevilone

I just see people fitting the latest cpus but then only putting 1060/1070s in, maybe it's just me.

I think you can make a pretty strong case that GPU selection can be resolution induced, while CPUs, SSDs, RAM are more generally functional.

No need grabbing a Titan X to game at 1080p, etc.

Gandie

CPU will last forever, I plan to replace the GPU once or twice on the same CPU, like I did with my 2500k. Plus the jump from 1060 to 1070 is crazy money wise and there's nobody else on the market.

Big Chungus

For monitoring temps, use a program like MSI Afterburner, have it set to show temps in the on-screen display during gameplay. From there, it's a matter of keeping an eye on it and seeing how it runs relative to the GPU usage. A 970, depending on model, can be expected to hit around or just under 80 degrees when under full load. If you start hitting above that, then you're in trouble.

ive been playing the for honor beta on max settings for the past 30 mins and its staying at 70 degrees celsius so it should be good?

Smokey

I just see people fitting the latest cpus but then only putting 1060/1070s in, maybe it's just me.

"Only" putting in a $400 - $450 part is cheap? Some people got rigs that are only a few hundred more than that...
The next step up is a 1080 that's $600+, and the Titan X $1,200....

Stevey

"Only" putting in a $400 - $450 part is cheap? Some people got rigs that are only a few hundred more than that...
The next step up is a 1080 that's $600+, and the Titan X $1,200....

I dunno, its just that my 1080 is like more than twice as expensive as any other component in my build.

I cheaped out on everything else :v

Is it safe to run a 6700K at 1.4V if temps are fine? I mostly play games with a some video editing here and there. It wouldn't be running under heavy load for long stretches. About 2-3 hours at a time. I currently have it at 4.5GHz with 1.34V but I want to try get it to 4.6/4.7GHz.

Also, when people say they have a certain overclock, let's say 4.8GHz, do they usually mean on a single core or all cores? I have mine running at 4.5GHz on all 4 cores. If I were to just overclock a single core would I notice a significant decrease in performance? I'm just wondering if this is why I need quite a higher voltage for 4.5GHz when I've seen others with higher overclock/lower voltage.

LilJoka

Is it safe to run a 6700K at 1.4V if temps are fine? I mostly play games with a some video editing here and there. It wouldn't be running under heavy load for long stretches. About 2-3 hours at a time. I currently have it at 4.5GHz with 1.34V but I want to try get it to 4.6/4.7GHz.

Also, when people say they have a certain overclock, let's say 4.8GHz, do they usually mean on a single core or all cores? I have mine running at 4.5GHz on all 4 cores. If I were to just overclock a single core would I notice a significant decrease in performance? I'm just wondering if this is why I need quite a higher voltage for 4.5GHz when I've seen others with higher overclock/lower voltage.

Everyone talks in respect to all core overclocks and load vcore in CPUz.
Don't bother tweaking for per core turbo.

1.4v is fine if temps are good.

Everyone talks in respect to all core overclocks and load vcore in CPUz.
Don't bother tweaking for per core turbo.

1.4v is fine if temps are good.

Ok thanks. I was just worried because I read running at high voltages can shorten the life of your CPU. If 1.4V is safe then I will try it. Is an increase of 0.6V going to add a lot of heat? During games I rarely go over 70C. Video editing about 70-75C. Stress testing it can be 75-83C.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm finally done tuning the overclock on my 7700k: 4.7ghz core, 4.5ghz cache, 1.264v-1.280v.
Prime95 28.10 passed for 24 hours: http://imgur.com/B8BGXtT
The hottest it got was 93C, but prime95 26.6 (without avx/avx2/fma3) only gets up to about 80C after 14.5 hours, and games like Battlefield 1 only get up to about 73C so I'm totally fine with it.

I've been using the NZXT Sentry Mix 2 fan controller since 2014. I'm using it to control 4 fans. 3x 120mm in the front of my case, 1x 140mm in the rear. It works well enough, but I can't see what RPM the fans are running at.

Funny you mention the Corsair ML series. I've been looking at them heavy the past few days to replace my current AF120s.

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually running 3x Corsair AF120's in the front of my case well and am just thinking about possibly doing the upgrade whenever the gtx 1080 Ti's release and if I get a card that exhausts heat into the case.

I'm finally done tuning the overclock on my 7700k: 4.7ghz core, 4.5ghz cache, 1.264v-1.280v.
Prime95 28.10 passed for 24 hours: http://imgur.com/B8BGXtT
The hottest it got was 93C, but prime95 26.6 (without avx/avx2/fma3) only gets up to about 80C after 14.5 hours, and games like Battlefield 1 only get up to about 73C so I'm totally fine with it.

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. I'm actually running 3x Corsair AF120's in the front of my case well and am just thinking about the upgrade whenever the gtx 1080 Ti's release and if I get a card that exhausts heat into the case.

isn't 93C a bit too hot? i thought you should keep it between 80-85C.

Weevilone

Nothing wrong with pushing it near throttling temps when doing some stress testing that you won't be doing frequently.

Regarding fan controllers, I feel one of the best things going these days is the onboard fan control the good motherboards have. I combined my front fans, rear fans, top fans onto 3 different headers and it works great. Those need to run together anyways.

Celcius

°Temp. member

Prime95 28.10 will make any overclock run waaaaay hotter than anything else and it pushes the system really hard so it's a great way to make sure your overclock is truly stable. Even asus real bench or the older prime95 26.6 run about 12-13C cooler and games are even further below that so nothing to worry about. :)

Nothing wrong with pushing it near throttling temps when doing some stress testing that you won't be doing frequently.

Regarding fan controllers, I feel one of the best things going these days is the onboard fan control the good motherboards have. I combined my front fans, rear fans, top fans onto 3 different headers and it works great. Those need to run together anyways.

Back when I had a Rampage III Extreme I used to plug all the fans into the motherboard and it worked great. I'll consider it, as that way there's no need to buy a fan controller.
For now I have my cpu fans and rear case fan connected to the motherboard and then my 3 front fans are connected to my power supply via a molex to 3x3-pin adapter.

well i just tried going up to 4.6GHz on my 6700K. set it to 1.375V but about 1.385 was being applied according to cpuz. tried running IBT but got a warning saying it failed. not gonna bother pursuing it any further. I'll probably need about 1.4V just to run that. so no chance of 4.7GHz. oh well :( ill stick with 4.5GHz at 1.34V

Celcius

°Temp. member
well i just tried going up to 4.6GHz on my 6700K. set it to 1.375V but about 1.385 was being applied according to cpuz. tried running IBT but got a warning saying it failed. not gonna bother pursuing it any further. I'll probably need about 1.4V just to run that. so no chance of 4.7GHz. oh well :( ill stick with 4.5GHz at 1.34V

I was hoping to get 4.8ghz myself, and everything except prime95 28.10 would pass for hours and hours but it would fail within 20 minutes. At the end of the day though, a stable system is worth more than a 7ghz system in my book. :)

I dunno, its just that my 1080 is like more than twice as expensive as any other component in my build.

I cheaped out on everything else :v

It's going to cost you far more to upgrade in the future than the people that you mentioned, considering they only have 1 part to upgrade, whereas you have like 6.

Other reasons:
They might not be interested in playing the most recent games / at the top settings
They might not game at all
They save a bunch by going with a older video card (1070/1080 aren't "older" video cards, either)
And, again, it's easier to upgrade 1 part than ~6 parts

Your route of "cheaping out on everything else" seems very short-sighted.

greelay

So i have a build with a g3258 and an r9 270, how worth it would it be to upgrade to an i5 4690k and a gtx 1070?

Edit: I mean obviously it is way better, but at what point am I better off going with the 6000 or 7000 series for i5 and just doing a whole new build? I kind of dont want to get a new mobo or new ram.

having a 1060 or 1070 is now regarded as "cheaping out on a GPU"?

2017 continues to be an interesting year.

i know, right? my 1070 was the most expensive part of my build. second most expensive was my CPU. the difference between them was £140.

So i have a build with a g3258 and an r9 270, how worth it would it be to upgrade to an i5 4690k and a gtx 1070?

Edit: I mean obviously it is way better, but at what point am I better off going with the 6000 or 7000 series for i5 and just doing a whole new build? I kind of dont want to get a new mobo or new ram.

a 4690K is still a fantastic CPU. i'd get one instead of a 7600K, new motherboard/ram. RAM prices are really high at the moment too so even better reason to stick with the motherboard/ram you have and just get a new CPU.

you'll see a big difference between a g3258/270 and a 4690K/1070. definitely worth it and should last you a good few years.

SuperÑ

OptionN, ShiftN

Def yes.

Gandie

Nope. Completely optional.

Thanks, unplugged both the HDD LED and the PWR LED. Nice and clean now.

Ordered one more fan (and a splitter cable) for the front. Also some inside the case and outside the case cable management to go.

Been thinking about getting a 1*2 IKEA Kallax to put the machine on, seems like a waste to put it on the floor.

And I have to wipe the drives from my old machine. Any tips on how to do it cleanly and without hassle? I'm selling it to a friend and would like to give him a PC with clean drives.

See if you can score a deal on a Haswell CPU... there must be something good around. Do you have a Z97 motherboard?

In looking into larger cases I care more and more about things like noise and in particular how much light escapes the case, because more often than not there are LEDs sticking out of every corner of every part that stay lit even when the computer is powered off and I'm quite sick of it. Of the full tower cases recommended so far, which ones eschew bullshit like leds on every case fan, or random leds that indicate nothing for that riceboi glow on the undercarriage? Is this a lost cause and should I just invest in dimmer stickers?

LilJoka

In looking into larger cases I care more and more about things like noise and in particular how much light escapes the case, because more often than not there are LEDs sticking out of every corner of every part that stay lit even when the computer is powered off and I'm quite sick of it. Of the full tower cases recommended so far, which ones eschew bullshit like leds on every case fan, or random leds that indicate nothing for that riceboi glow on the undercarriage? Is this a lost cause and should I just invest in dimmer stickers?

Caselabs maybe?
Generally any case without a window would do like some Fractal Define cases.
Some boards allow led control.

I have a z97 mobo. Why would you recommend haswell over the 4690k? I have a microcenter like ten minutes from me and it is 190 for the 4690k.

That's what I meant -- I'm lumping in devil's canyon with haswell. I dunno USD prices much, check online to see if that's a good deal. But yeah, that's still a fine CPU today, particularly if well overclocked.

Anyone else still running with an i7 920 or thereabouts? I'm considering finally upgrading, but curious to hear how other folks are getting by using this cpu. Anyone recently upgraded to Skylake or Kabylake from this?

I haven't had much trouble running newer games, but my CPU is at 83c+ when it's under intense load. I can't help but think it's only a matter of time before it burns out
Yup but I don't really have a lot of time for gaming at the moment. Probably a bit long in the tooth now but boy is it a beast of a cpu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom