• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but where did you guys look for desks? I'd like to have a big enough desk to fit 3 monitors and space to do some work, but kind of a loss as to where to look. Not really a fan of furniture stores.

When I went scouting a desk for my current setup, I hit up some tech youtuber channels to try and get some ideas.

Randomfrankp has a series called "room tour project" where he just goes through all the best looking gaming setups he can find and lists every product he can find in the description, including the desk. So I looked around for a setup that closely matched what I wanted, noted what desk it was, and bought it.

There are plenty of setups with triple monitors to give you an idea as well. Though if possible, I'd try and mount the monitors on an arm so they don't take up desk space.

Branson

So now that I have to buy W10 retail since I'm nervous to use PlayAsia now, is Home fine for just being a gaming machine or should I get Pro?

TheExodu5

Banned
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but where did you guys look for desks? I'd like to have a big enough desk to fit 3 monitors and space to do some work, but kind of a loss as to where to look. Not really a fan of furniture stores.

Ikea (apologies for the Canadian links)

Bekant:
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S49022798/

Skarsta Sit/Stand:
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S29084966/

If you need even bigger and cheaper, you could go:
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/80251358/
+ legs from here:
http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/categories/departments/workspaces/11845/

Most important thing for a computer desk is height adjustability, IMO. That makes sure you can have an ergonomic setup. Unless the fixed height you're getting is good for your usage.

I need some help understanding the ratings of PSUs and what I should get for my situation. So I know how many watts I need but the bronze, silver, gold stuff isn't all that clear to me. It's something like if the PSU is being maxed out bronze will waste more energy than a gold? Is that right?

But if I'm getting one with a good deal more watts than what PC Partpicker says I'll need, and if I'll treat my new build mostly as a console as in I come home from work, play games for a few hours then turn it off, repeat the next day, would splurging for a gold make sense in my situation?

hqo3zrX.jpg

As long as you get at least an 80+ rated PSU, I wouldn't personally splurge on a higher rating. Roughly speaking, a higher rating means more power goes towards your components rather than being wasted as heat. So, a high rating PSU will on average put out a little less heat into your system. This is important for people doing high overclocks and seeking bleeding edge performance/thermals, but for most of us, the difference between an 80 bronze and an 80 platinum isn't very significant. You will see some savings in terms of electricity usage also, but by how much varies by unit to unit. I think it would be in the range of $10-$20 a year at max, assuming frequent PC usage. There are reports you could look up on that if you're really curious.

Summary: get a hold of you can afford it and not have to take money out of important upgrades for the rest of your build, but otherwise, a bronze-level will be fine.

Magwik

Banned
Grab an linnmon table from Ikea. Can go up to 78in in width. Then grab 5 legs and boom done for under $100

Painguy

Hey all. So my gtx 580 just died. Found a spare 8800gtx to hold me off, but i need a proper GPU soon. I've been holding off for volta. Any idea when a consumer version is gonna show up? Don't really need a new GPU till then tbh. I dont game on PC too much anymore cuz im off at school most of the time.

NEO0MJ

Bumping my question.

Speaking of the Kraken, what are the odds that a water based CPU cooler will get damaged in international shipping? Thinking of just going all the way with the cooler after regretting going with the CM Evo.

For extra details, this is the NZXT Kraken X31. Will check local options later today to compare.

So now that I have to buy W10 retail since I'm nervous to use PlayAsia now, is Home fine for just being a gaming machine or should I get Pro?

It's fine based on what I know. Only major thing you'll be missing out on is a form of remote access.

Hey all. So my gtx 580 just died. Found a spare 8800gtx to hold me off, but i need a proper GPU soon. I've been holding off for volta. Any idea when a consumer version is gonna show up? Don't really need a new GPU till then tbh. I dont game on PC too much anymore cuz im off at school most of the time.

The popular theory is between September this year to February next year. More likely the later.

Finaika

Earliest is 3rd quarter of this year.

Vipu

Banned
Is your computer overclocked? How long have you had the computer and what are your specs? Do you know how to check the SMART attributes of the ssd or hdd that your OS is installed on?

Sorry for bit late answer and thx.
Yes its OC:d.
GPU is gtx970, cpu is under 2 month old 7700k
I didnt check SMART things yet, guess I should today just in case.

I checked logs and there was something about Cortana, thing that I have never used and will never use. Straight after that there was something about nvidia display thingie losing signal etc.

dr_mario

No it's not normal. Are you using a descrete video card? Where in the setting are you seeing this?

Hi!

I see that the RAM is not enough nearly everywhere. In the Win 10 64 Pro - Information, in the Bios, everywhere where you can see it. The ressource monitor of Windows says that 8 GB are reserved for hardware. Here is a photo of the bios information:

Code:
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/img_20170702_120122tku9j.jpg[/IMG]

As you can see, both RAMs are detected, but they somehow don't add up. ALso, I have the feeling that I remember that it was detected as 16 GB at one point, but I'm not really sure.

What I've tried so far:
Windows Memory Diagnosis: No failure found
Bootmanager / System Load configuration under Windows: No restriction on max memory found
Re-Initialising the Bios: I took out the MoBo's battery for some time. The Bios was reset, but still the photo above remained
Changing the RAM Slots: I tried both RAMs alone, both worked and showed 8 GB in the Bios and under Windows. I installed them like the manual says, and changed their positions. However, I didn't use DimmA1 and DIMM B1. Should I?

I think that's it. My Ram is this one: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2800c17d-16gvr

coopolon

So Right now I have a 2008 e8400 build and a 2013 4570k build which I've upgraded with a gtx 1060. It's time to retire the e8400 and I want an office computer that can also serve as Plex server while keeping gaming pc in basement.

My initial thought was to just keep the 4570k as the gaming pc and build the basic build from op with no gpus to be office computer. But then, the only big difference between lowest and middle is an extra $100 for the Ryzen cpu. So now I am wondering if it's a better use of money to build a Ryzen gaming pc (with my 1060) and make my 4570k the office computer. Either way I'm going to scavenge parts, so all I will be buying is mobo, ram, CPU, and case.

So I guess my question is, is the ryzen a good upgrade, both in terms of power and timing, to upgrade from a 4570k?

So Right now I have a 2008 e8400 build and a 2012 4750k build which I've upgraded with a gtx 1060. It's time to retire the e8400 and I want an office computer that can also serve as Plex server while keeping gaming pc in basement.

My initial thought was to just keep the 4750k as the gaming pc and build the basic build from op with no gpus to be office computer. But then, the only big difference between lowest and middle is an extra $100 for the Ryzen cpu. So now I am wondering if it's a better use of money to build a Ryzen gaming pc (with my 1060) and make my 4750k the office computer. Either way I'm going to scavenge parts, so all I will be buying is mobo, ram, CPU, and case.

So I guess my question is, is the ryzen a good upgrade, both in terms of power and timing, to upgrade from a 4750k?

Yes to both. You dont even need to use a discrete gpu with the 4570k (or 4770k? Is it an i7 or i5?) the igpu will work fine for office tasks.

coopolon

Yes to both. You dont even need to use a discrete gpu with the 4570k (or 4770k? Is it an i7 or i5?) the igpu will work fine for office tasks.

Sorry, it is i5, thise were typos.

Thanks!

Edit:also are the ram costs in op just out of date? Can you get 8gb of good brand ran for $60 or 16gb for less than $100?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Sorry for bit late answer and thx.
Yes its OC:d.
GPU is gtx970, cpu is under 2 month old 7700k
I didnt check SMART things yet, guess I should today just in case.

I checked logs and there was something about Cortana, thing that I have never used and will never use. Straight after that there was something about nvidia display thingie losing signal etc.

In addition to checking the ssd SMART values, if you're not on the latest drivers for your videocard you may want to update those to see if it helps, and then you may also want to run some benchmarks or stress tests on the videocard to make sure it isn't going bad.
Also, you may want to double-check that your cpu overclock is stable (I'm not sure what speed and voltage you're at though) or otherwise see if it happens with the cpu running stock as well.

Latest GTX 970 drivers for Windows 10 64-bit (Jun 29, 2017): http://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/120486

Bloodember

Hi!

I see that the RAM is not enough nearly everywhere. In the Win 10 64 Pro - Information, in the Bios, everywhere where you can see it. The ressource monitor of Windows says that 8 GB are reserved for hardware. Here is a photo of the bios information:

Code:
[IMG]https://abload.de/img/img_20170702_120122tku9j.jpg[/IMG]

As you can see, both RAMs are detected, but they somehow don't add up. ALso, I have the feeling that I remember that it was detected as 16 GB at one point, but I'm not really sure.

What I've tried so far:
Bootmanager / System Load configuration under Windows: No restriction on max memory found
Re-Initialising the Bios: I took out the MoBo's battery for some time. The Bios was reset, but still the photo above remained
Changing the RAM Slots: I tried both RAMs alone, both worked and showed 8 GB in the Bios and under Windows. I installed them like the manual says, and changed their positions. However, I didn't use DimmA1 and DIMM B1. Should I?

I think that's it. My Ram is this one: https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2800c17d-16gvr

Are you using a discrete GPU? Where do you have your monitor connected?

Bloodember

I don't really know what a discrete GPU is. I do have a seperate graphic card, a Zotac 1050 ti OC. My monitor is connected via its HDMI port.

A discrete graphics card is a separate graphic card, I wanted to make sure you where using one. Make sure the onboard graphics is disabled in your bios, and make sure the onboard sound isn't using RAM in the bios(it shouldn't be, but check anyway).

Is there any indication that RAM prices are possibly going down by later this year? Prices keep skyrocketing and finishing this PC is becoming increasingly difficult financially. I'm considering just building it next year in time for Zen 2 and prices possibly lowering.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Hi!

What I've tried so far:

I noticed that your motherboard isn't listed on the memory's QVL (qualified vendors list): https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2800c17d-16gvr
and also your memory isn't listed in the motherboard's QVL: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...5905.856594556.1499001426-47714656.1498598385
I would think they'd work together fine but the motherboard could be picky. I do see that you are running the latest bios available for the motherboard though.
Your motherboard manual recommends using slots DIMM_A2 & DIMM_B2 when using a dual-channel kit so if you're already using those slots then the positions shouldn't be an issue.

dr_mario

I noticed that your motherboard isn't listed on the memory's QVL (qualified vendors list): https://www.gskill.com/en/product/f4-2800c17d-16gvr
and also your memory isn't listed in the motherboard's QVL: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...5905.856594556.1499001426-47714656.1498598385
I would think they'd work together fine but the motherboard could be picky. I do see that you are running the latest bios available for the motherboard though.
Your motherboard manual recommends using slots DIMM_A2 & DIMM_B2 when using a dual-channel kit so if you're already using those slots then the positions shouldn't be an issue.
I didn't think that my RAM would work somewhat if it isnt compatible. Thats why I ignored the compatibility thing after seeing that it does work.

aett

Sorry if this is a stupid question - I haven't looked into PC components in a few years and I'm totally out of the loop.

I have a Geforce GTX 760 graphics card now. Is there a newer card that would be noticeably better in the sub-$200 range? Thank you.

Jeff6851

Sorry if this is a stupid question - I haven't looked into PC components in a few years and I'm totally out of the loop.

I have a Geforce GTX 760 graphics card now. Is there a newer card that would be noticeably better in the sub-$200 range? Thank you.

Unless you're ok with a second hand card then not really. If you wait a while then the RX 400s may come back down to Earth but right now those prices are inflated because of miners.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I didn't think that my RAM would work somewhat if it isnt compatible. Thats why I ignored the compatibility thing after seeing that it does work.

In your motherboard QVL chart some kits are listed as working in only 1 dimm socket, some are listed as working when populating 2 dimm sockets, and some are listed in working when filling all 4 dimm sockets (the dots on the right side of the chart). For example, the G.Skill kit F4-2666C16Q2-64GRB is an 8gb x 8 stick kit, but it's only listed as compatible using 1 dimm for some reason. I'm not 100% sure if this is causing your issue but wanted to bring it to your attention just in case.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Is there any indication that RAM prices are possibly going down by later this year? Prices keep skyrocketing and finishing this PC is becoming increasingly difficult financially. I'm considering just building it next year in time for Zen 2 and prices possibly lowering.

This really isn't a bad idea.

While Zen has been pretty good, there are still a lot of kinks it needs to work out. Memory Speed issues for one.

By the time Zen 2 comes out, all of these kinks should be largely worked out.

kuYuri

I was looking at GPU prices on Micro Center and wow. It's become a terrible time to get a GPU below a 1080. I feel sorry for anyone wanting to build a computer right now.

I think good or decent gaming prebuilt PCs are the way to go right now if you can update things like the PSU and GPU. They seem fairly inmunes to the price hike and I've seen quite a few decent ones on sale.

Jarnet87

I was looking at GPU prices on Micro Center and wow. It's become a terrible time to get a GPU below a 1080. I feel sorry for anyone wanting to build a computer right now.

I think good or decent gaming prebuilt PCs are the way to go right now if you can update things like the PSU and GPU. They seem fairly inmunes to the price hike and I've seen quite a few decent ones on sale.

Corsair One Pro is the one prebuilt I am considering over building my own. Looks tough to upgrade certain components but it would be a machine I buy as a 4-5 year system before upgrading again.

Was wondering why my idle temps on my 1700 were so high. Remembered the 20 degree offset people were talking about. So my 45 degree idle temp is actually 25 degrees, right?

Whoop apparently that doesn't include the 1700... so why're my idles so high... Guess I should re-seat the cooler, but then I should probably get some new thermal paste on there, off to amazon we go!

Setting up HWINFO now since MSI afterburner doesn't monitor Ryzen temps, which is a bummer, love afterburner.

SOLDIER

I'm not sure if I can describe my issue correctly, or if there even is an issue, but here goes:

Many of my PC games will do a one second screen freeze when an action occurrs: for example, I start up Hollow Knight and I'll get a brief screen freeze when a stalactite is about to fall. The music will still play but everything else briefly stops. Other examples include shooting at another player in Overwatch, and so on in that fashion.

Usually the game runs smoothly after that, but what usually causes this kind of freeze? I have these games installed in a SSD, so this shouldn't happen. Could it be a networking issue? The other day I tried to co-op with another friend in PUGB, but it was absolutely unplayable, with long freezes every second. Then again that could just be the game's shitty performance, but I wanted to mention it anyway in case it all connects.

So I'm wondering if this is a common thing that happens regardless of equipment, or if upgrading a specific component will make this less common.

I'm not sure if I can describe my issue correctly, or if there even is an issue, but here goes:

Many of my PC games will do a one second screen freeze when an action occurrs: for example, I start up Hollow Knight and I'll get a brief screen freeze when a stalactite is about to fall. The music will still play but everything else briefly stops. Other examples include shooting at another player in Overwatch, and so on in that fashion.

Usually the game runs smoothly after that, but what usually causes this kind of freeze? I have these games installed in a SSD, so this shouldn't happen. Could it be a networking issue? The other day I tried to co-op with another friend in PUGB, but it was absolutely unplayable, with long freezes every second. Then again that could just be the game's shitty performance, but I wanted to mention it anyway in case it all connects.

So I'm wondering if this is a common thing that happens regardless of equipment, or if upgrading a specific component will make this less common.

My first theory is that those actions are causing a spike in CPU usage and your CPU isn't up to snuff (especially if it's a dual core). Consider downloading MSI Afterburner and running Riva Tuner's performance overlay to see if you can connect the events to something happening to your hardware.

If it's happening in games like Hollow Knight, I doubt it's a networking issue. PUGB is definitely going to stress your PC, especially your CPU.

But if you get the actual performance information, you may find an answer. Can't argue with the facts!

Hey so im building my first pc, im putting a 1080ti in it because i want it to be future proofed for the next couple of years. Should i get an intel i7 processor or the cheaper ryzen 1600 card? I dont really know exactly what im doing haha im also not getting a monitor as i own a 65 inch 4k tv i want to hook it up to, is that a mistake?

This really isn't a bad idea.

While Zen has been pretty good, there are still a lot of kinks it needs to work out. Memory Speed issues for one.

By the time Zen 2 comes out, all of these kinks should be largely worked out.

Yeah, I think I am going to back out from it. With moving and what not, I'll just wait. Plus, Volta will be ready by then, donuts definitely worth it.

Ghazi

So I bought a Strix 1080 secondhand online and I feel like something's wrong with it as it runs pretty hot and loud compared to my old reference 980ti. Airflow in my case is fine. Is there any way I can test this theory or compare it to data available online?

kuYuri

So I bought a Strix 1080 secondhand online and I feel like something's wrong with it as it runs pretty hot and loud compared to my old reference 980ti. Airflow in my case is fine. Is there any way I can test this theory or compare it to data available online?

What are the temps? Strix are in my experience quiet cards unless you ramp up the fan speed or something. Maybe the seller wanted to get rid of the card once it started getting hot/loud.

No it's not a common thing and I doubt it's networking. You said it's "many" games. Is it many or all of them? And does it happen just once per game session or in some period? Use monitoring tools to capture to a file and then look at it after one of the freezes and see if something looks off.

I assume you've tried re-installing drivers, rolling back, etc.

Yeah just search for "1080 STRIX temps" and you'll find people who are posting theirs/asking if it's high and you'll get a general idea where you fall. You can adjust the fan curve manually if you want to make it quieter; hopefully your card doesn't run abnormally hot and you have some room to spare on the temp side.

Ghazi

What are the temps? Strix are in my experience quiet cards unless you ramp up the fan speed or something. Maybe the seller wanted to get rid of the card once it started getting hot/loud.

Earlier it reached 80C in Overwatch at 4K (70 at 1080p, max settings, 144fps), runs at 70C with Witcher 3 at max settings at 1080/60fps, and Prey runs ~65 C at max settings 1080p/72fps. The fans run pretty loud, louder than I remember my 980ti running but I haven't had a gpu in my case for almost a month now so I can't be positive, but those temps exceed the temps I was getting with my old GPU which makes no sense. I wish there was a good way to measure and share audio levels, it's way louder than my PS4.

Forgot to mention, ambient temp is 75 F.

Ramune

Looked at reviews and it's kind of mixed. He has a i3 6100 and a GTX 1050 Ti so he probably wouldn't gain much from 4K atm. But thanks all the same! :)

D9ai2Bh.png

Wondering if there's any good 1080p monitors for the price. THere's the Ben! RL2755HM, but it's mostly made for console gaming of all things apparently!

Edit: From what I could find this seemed like it would suit him best.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-s2718hn-27-ips-led-fhd-monitor-black/5770928.p?skuId=5770928

If I grab a mobo now can I expect it to work with coffee lake? And what price point can I expect? Thinking I might just get one of those instead.

CazTGG

With the rumors surrounding Coffee Lake and Threadripper, i'm wondering if it's best to hold off until we learn more about them/prices lower due to AMD/Intel launching more new offerings or if I should build my new PC with the current Kaby Lake/Ryzen components (I held off originally due to the 1080 Ti rumors along with Zen). In any case, these are the PCs i'm considering building at the moment, with roughly the same components:

Intel - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/q3DLNN
AMD - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/qvthXH

A few notes:
-The AMD incompatibility for the CPU cooler is incorrect: It is compatible with the Arctic Cooler, however the manufacturer will need to be contacted if it's not a revised model
-The BarraCuda Pro drive is there to estimate the price for the 4-bay RAID enclosure's total cost
-I'm undecided on the screen. I'm leaning towards Dell due to the lower cost and higher refresh rate
-The ASUS GPU may be swapped with an iChill if I can order a pair in Canada

The PC is going to be used for gaming (at 1440, with possible plans to move up to 4K once if becomes more supported/affordable) and audio recording and video production for my YouTube channel. I want this PC to be as quiet as possible since I had noise issues with my last one, and my laptop isn't necessarily silent. I'm open to suggestions since 1080 Ti SLI is overkill for 1440p and I can always put the money for a second card towards another component.

At point if it comes out in Fall you should wait if you can.
That's not too bad as long as it's not like launching winter, that would suck.
But for now I should be okay on grabbing a case, cooler and PSU right? Along with storage and what not. Trying to save the big parts for winter (GPU/CPU) so I have access to the latest parts along with sales and what not. Are we expecting Volta this year?

Looking at my temps, I want to have 3 fans (plus the cpu fan) running in my new system/case when it gets here, but the B350m only has 2 fan headers (plus CPU).

Internet's lead me to believe either all fan headers share ~ 1 amp, or all the headers can put out ~ 1 amp. I'm tempted to just buy a powered controller but if I don't need to I don't really want to :p

Top Bottom