• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

bachikarn

Guess my biggest question is why you're not going with the NZXT Kraken X62. Seems to be pretty popular here and money doesn't seem to be an issue to you.

How much of an issue is noise for the Kraken? I saw some benchmarks which made it sound like it could get pretty loud.

I'm making a build with a 7700k and a 1080 ti. I'm struggling a little bit with the heat sink. The noctua is pretty quiet. Any thoughts between a Noctua U12S or U14s vs the Kraken X62?

xRaizen

Bread

Banned
So I made a bunch of credit using the trade deal over the past weekend at Gamestop - I was looking online and found that they actually sell prebuilt gaming PC's.

How does this one look? Is it okay for the price? http://www.gamestop.com/pc/pc-hardw...h-intel-i5-7600k-38ghz-gaming-computer/148073

Just want to be able to play 1080p/60fps on most games, no higher than 1080p

Edit: This one is also available http://www.gamestop.com/pc/pc-hardw...md-ryzen-5-1600x-36ghz-gaming-computer/148065
Those are both plenty more than sufficient for 1080p/60fps. The 580 in the first one is going for over $400 itself so yeah that's a great deal.

Hello all, helping a coworker build his first gaming computer and want to get some opinions on what I can change or sub out that isn't necessary or what i am missing. He is looking to future proof as much as possible and is why he is building up this time around to save the headache down the line.

Budget: $2000 - USA
Main Use: Gaming, light programming, rendering.
Monitor Resolution: 1440p, 60+
Specific Games: None just getting into PC gaming, Player Unknown's Battlegrounds, BF1, Doom, etc. planning on a G-Sync monitor.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: soon by the end of July beginning of August.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably Not

CPU: i7-7700K
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 8
Motherboard: ASRock - Z270M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 S
Video Card: Gigabyte - Gigabyte 1080Ti AORUS Xtreme Edition
Case: Still undecided, Needs something as quiet as possible and preferably small.
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold
Monitor: Dell Gaming S2417DG

How is it looking and what is a suggestion for a case that is quiet and small? Any advice is appreciated.

Zabojnik

So the new PC is built with the 7700K at its heart and I am a bit at a loss about its temperatures.
Without any overclock temps are already hitting 80C when encoding something with Handbrake. Prime95 (v28) Small FFTs send it straight up to 95C.
The cooler is the Cryorig H7 with the default fan. I have two Noctua NF-F12 as front intakes and a Corsair AF120 as my rear exhaust (4cm away from the Cryorig-cooler).

I am quite sure I applied the Cryorig correctly, the thermal paste is MX4, so all boxes should be checked here.

Is this still in the margin of "lost really bad at the silicon-lottery" or is something wrong here?

Welcome to the 7700k club, breh. Nothing is wrong, the chip just runs really hot by default. Unless you're adamant about overclocking it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Garou

Welcome to the 7700k club, breh. Nothing is wrong, the chip just runs really hot by default. Unless you're adamant about overclocking it, I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks. That is really a shame, WTF Intel, especially since I upgraded from the 2500K.
I have still hope that something can be fixed through Bios-updates because the current ASUS Z270-bios is quite buggy.

dragn

Thanks. That is really a shame, WTF Intel, especially since I upgraded from the 2500K.
I have still hope that something can be fixed through Bios-updates because the current ASUS Z270-bios is quite buggy.

you gotta try some undervolting, my 6700k dropped 20c just because the damn stock mainboard bios gave too much vcore

Jeff6851

Hello all, helping a coworker build his first gaming computer and want to get some opinions on what I can change or sub out that isn't necessary or what i am missing. He is looking to future proof as much as possible and is why he is building up this time around to save the headache down the line.

Budget: $2000 - USA
Main Use: Gaming, light programming, rendering.
Monitor Resolution: 1440p, 60+
Specific Games: None just getting into PC gaming, Player Unknown's Battlegrounds, BF1, Doom, etc. planning on a G-Sync monitor.
Looking to reuse any parts?: No
When will you build?: soon by the end of July beginning of August.
Will you be overclocking?: Probably Not

CPU: i7-7700K
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 8
Motherboard: ASRock - Z270M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 S
Video Card: Gigabyte - Gigabyte 1080Ti AORUS Xtreme Edition
Case: Still undecided, Needs something as quiet as possible and preferably small.
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W 80+ Gold
Monitor: Dell Gaming S2417DG

How is it looking and what is a suggestion for a case that is quiet and small? Any advice is appreciated.

If you don't plan to overclock you don't really need a K version on the CPU though I do recommend overclocking. Also, at 1440/60 a 1080 would be fine (unless they're planning to play Metro Last Light Redux but even that can get to 45 fps).

As for case, I've been using this for years and highly recommend it https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...11119233&cm_re=haf_912-_-11-119-233-_-Product

lantus

Hey folks currently I'm using a monitor that's well over a decade old, it's still 1080p and 60hz. I've been eyeing getting a new one for some time since I built my rig last year, and ideally I would like a gsync monitor to take advantage of my hardware, but the price difference between the two kinds is pretty off-putting for me. So my question is, would it be worth getting a Freesync monitor if I have a 1070?

SOLDIER

So what do I need to do once I download those two programs? How does it work and what do I need to document in order to find the possible cause for these stutters?

Anyone? I would like to try and narrow down what the cause may be, I've just never used Rivatuner and Afterburner before.

How much more quiet would that be and will it need more space in order to be mounted in the chosen case?

Well theoretically you could set the fan curve on a blower to be as quiet as a hybrid but then your temps are going to be shitty and your card unstable. So relatively speaking a lot more quiet. Not sure about the case I didn't see what you have but the card is not that much bigger; you just need a space for the fan/radiator. Look up dimensions but even mATX cases should fit it fine.

I got my delidded 6700k back from Silicon Valley today and put it in the system. Got a stable 4.5 Ghz with 1.325 vcore and it only breaks 63 degs C when stress testing. Its under a cryorig h5 universal. Battlefield 1 on ultra is so much smoother inside fort de vaux coming from a 6600k.

Here is the final build 18 months later: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/mTnH99

I got my delidded 6700k back from Silicon Valley today and put it in the system. Got a stable 4.5 Ghz with 1.325 vcore and it only breaks 63 degs C when stress testing. Its under a cryorig h5 universal. Battlefield 1 on ultra is so much smoother inside fort de vaux coming from a 6600k.

Here is the final build 18 months later: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/mTnH99

You should be able to run a lower vcore for 4.5ghz, like 1.28 or 1.30V (depending on the chip). How did you stress test it btw?

Nice system.

You should be able to run a lower vcore for 4.5ghz, like 1.28 or 1.30V (depending on the chip). How did you stress test it btw?

Nice system.

I was using prime95 small FFT 26.6 and intel burn test v2. I haven't been able to get near 1.3 stable sadly.

Thanks! I've definitely spent enough money for now lol.

I actually just bought the cpu and shipped it directly to them so I'm not exactly sure with this chip. They estimate between 8 degs - 18 degs C for Skylake. 10 - 25 for Kaby.

I didn't trust myself to do it so they do it for $50 + shipping which isn't too much more than me buying the parts to accomplish the same task. Plus they know what they are doing.

Painguy

So I tried baking my GTX 580 which died the other day, and it lives! I guess a solder melted or something. Can I assume that the chip is ok to play games again or nah? How long can I expect it to live? Idle temps is 41*C btw. I dont remember the temps b4 it died. That seems ok I guess. I'm guessing that the actual chip itself is ok.

So I tried baking my GTX 580 which died the other day, and it lives! I guess a solder melted or something. Can I assume that the chip is ok to play games again or nah? How long can I expect it to live? Idle temps is 41*C btw. I dont remember the temps b4 it died. That seems ok I guess. I'm guessing that the actual chip itself is ok, but the PCB got funky.

I would be saving money for a replacement if it's that close to death.

Guys

I am running a 4770k at 4.5ghz and temps max out around 75c at MOST.

I am running an Evo 212 pro cooler.

What kind of temp decrease could i expect if i install a Noctua NH-D15?

Painguy

Guys

I am running a 4770k at 4.5ghz and temps max out around 75c at MOST.

I am running an Evo 212 pro cooler.

What kind of temp decrease could i expect if i install a Noctua NH-D15?

I have my i7-2600k @ 4.8ghz 1.465V. Idle temp atm is 19*C. I think under load it hit close to 68*C

Well my MSI B350m's XMP for 3200 didn't work, but its 2933 did.

I don't see any temp sensors for RAM, should I stress the RAM? How does one stress RAM?

Ploid 3.0

I just spent so much time camping a GPU on Newegg. Finally snagged it and it feels like I was waiting on a monster to spawn or Diablo 3 Auction House loot to expire so I could claim it. Now I can rest.

Well my MSI B350m's XMP for 3200 didn't work, but its 2933 did.

I don't see any temp sensors for RAM, should I stress the RAM? How does one stress RAM?

Yes, but not for temps. RAM temps aren't really an issue. Test for errors. Use Memtest86+.

Hey folks currently I'm using a monitor that's well over a decade old, it's still 1080p and 60hz. I've been eyeing getting a new one for some time since I built my rig last year, and ideally I would like a gsync monitor to take advantage of my hardware, but the price difference between the two kinds is pretty off-putting for me. So my question is, would it be worth getting a Freesync monitor if I have a 1070?

No, you won't be able to use it. You should either save up for a G-Sync or get a 120 or 144hz monitor without variable refresh rate (or just go 1440p60).

Rizzi

I was thinking about getting a Freesync monitor. I've got an R9 390x, so no problems there.
Just not sure what's good.

Intel i7 4790k
Asus Z97-A Motherboard
16GB RAM
240GB SSD
1TB HDD
Windows 10
NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid Cooling
NZXT S340 Mid Tower Case
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Gold Power Supply
Noctua Case Fans

brwc.png

A friend is selling his old rig for $650. I plan to add a video card and transform thisbinna gaming PC. Is this price good, or should I just get a new one with warranty? Thanks

Can you build something similar with better components for the same price ? Or this is a good deal?

Intel i7 4790k
Asus Z97-A Motherboard
16GB RAM
240GB SSD
1TB HDD
Windows 10
NZXT Kraken X61 Liquid Cooling
NZXT S340 Mid Tower Case
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Gold Power Supply
Noctua Case Fans

brwc.png

A friend is selling his old rig for $650. I plan to add a video card and transform thisbinna gaming PC. Is this price good, or should I just get a new one with warranty? Thanks

Can you build something similar with better components for the same price ? Or this is a good deal?

Let's say you spend $250 for something around an Nvidia 1060-level of performance. By the time you're up near that $900 mark, I'm not really sure that's a great deal. It's not awful, but you could probably get a modern PC/parts for about the same price.

For example, I'd argue that this Best Buy pre-built is better for gaming.

Maybe someone else here can back up or disagree with my opinion, however.

By the way, that power supply is a huge overkill and inflates the price quite a bit.

kennah

YEah lots of quality but unnecessary parts there. You can put together a Ryzen build that would be better for the same money or less.

After buying Shadow Of Mordor and trying it on my iMac, I've had enough.

It's done GAF, I've bought a PC.

Asus Strix Z270F + i7 7700k
BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 fan
GTX 1060 6GB (for now)
16GB Corsair
NZXT S340 Elite case
250GB Samsung SSD + 1TB WD Blue

So excited for steam and Xbox Play Anywhere.

Any tips of which monitor to get?

kennah

After buying Shadow Of Mordor and trying it on my iMac, I've had enough.

It's done GAF, I've bought a PC.

Asus Strix Z270F + i7 7700k
BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 fan
GTX 1060 6GB (for now)
16GB Corsair
NZXT S340 Elite case
250GB Samsung SSD + 1TB WD Blue

So excited for steam and Xbox Play Anywhere.

Any tips of which monitor to get?
What iMac do you have? If it is a non retina 27” from 2009 and up you could use it

Minarik

I'm really hoping crypto currency crashes and burns soon. I've been hunting for a deal on a 1060 for weeks now and they are all so expensive. Way cheaper 6 months ago but I wasn't ready to buy anything :(

What iMac do you have? If it is a non retina 27” from 2009 and up you could use it

Unfortunately its an 21" mid-late 2011 model, no HDMI in was one of my biggest grievances with it. It served me well through uni and has been showing it's age for a while.

Skinpop

I'm wondering if I should get 7700 or the k-version. I won't do any OC-ing, but 7700k is still quite a bit faster which I like. Is it right that k-versions don't ship with stock coolers anymore? That's a bummer then, any ideas on what to get for cooling?

I'm really hoping crypto currency crashes and burns soon. I've been hunting for a deal on a 1060 for weeks now and they are all so expensive. Way cheaper 6 months ago but I wasn't ready to buy anything :(

If you are near a Microcenter, quite a few have nice open box or refurb deals.

Unrelated, but with my new PC build comes redoing the exterior cables behind my desk. Not fancy at all, but it's amazing what a few black zip ties can do. Forgot to take a before pic of all the cables all over the place.

Also holy crap doing a full format on a new drive takes forever. My 2.5 TB internal drive was a refurb, so I wanted to do a full format instead of a quick format as a first step to verifying it's all good... But man it'll take about 6 hours I'm estimating.

Let's say you spend $250 for something around an Nvidia 1060-level of performance. By the time you're up near that $900 mark, I'm not really sure that's a great deal. It's not awful, but you could probably get a modern PC/parts for about the same price.

For example, I'd argue that this Best Buy pre-built is better for gaming.

Maybe someone else here can back up or disagree with my opinion, however.

By the way, that power supply is a huge overkill and inflates the price quite a bit.

YEah lots of quality but unnecessary parts there. You can put together a Ryzen build that would be better for the same money or less.
Hum, só It is overkill ? Ok, I guess I will pass

Akai__

Is anybody able to create and sign in into new User Accounts? Just want to know if I'm alone with this issue.

I was provided troubleshoot methods, such as uninstalling the Display Driver, but that didn't do anything. If anybody has an idea what else I could try, I would appreciate the help.

NEO0MJ

How much of an issue is noise for the Kraken? I saw some benchmarks which made it sound like it could get pretty loud.

I don't have any actual experience with coolers so I can't help you with that. Sound is one of those things that can vary between people. If you want a liquid coolers that according to the numbers that's more quite there's the Cooler Master - MasterLiquid Pro 280.
The N U-12 is supposedly quite as well but I don't know how it compares.

I'm wondering if I should get 7700 or the k-version. I won't do any OC-ing, but 7700k is still quite a bit faster which I like. Is it right that k-versions don't ship with stock coolers anymore? That's a bummer then, any ideas on what to get for cooling?

Just buy a third party cooler, they're do a much better job at cooling. Which to go got depends on your budget and the size of your case.

Drakhoran

Neo Member

I don't see why not. Freesync monitors, unlike G-Sync monitors, are not really more expensive than non-adaptive sync monitors. The increased refresh rate is still nice to have even if you cant use the Freesync feature.

Hum, só It is overkill ? Ok, I guess I will pass

Well, there are parts you're paying for you don't need, and parts you're paying for that are fine, and parts you're paying for that are outdated. So it's a bit of all of the above.

Is anybody able to create and sign in into new User Accounts? Just want to know if I'm alone with this issue.

I was provided troubleshoot methods, such as uninstalling the Display Driver, but that didn't do anything. If anybody has an idea what else I could try, I would appreciate the help.

You're talking about an account on your Windows PC right? Is your PC connected to a Microsoft account? I noticed I can't activate my new PC's Windows license right now due to an error from Microsoft... Apparently their servers are down. Maybe that also limits account creation?

Akai__

You're talking about an account on your Windows PC right? Is your PC connected to a Microsoft account? I noticed I can't activate my new PC's Windows license right now due to an error from Microsoft... Apparently their servers are down. Maybe that also limits account creation?

Yes, creating and signing in into new local offline accounts. And no, I'm not using the Microsoft Account thing to log in and never will.

Top Bottom