• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

SOLDIER

My first theory is that those actions are causing a spike in CPU usage and your CPU isn't up to snuff (especially if it's a dual core). Consider downloading MSI Afterburner and running Riva Tuner's performance overlay to see if you can connect the events to something happening to your hardware.

If it's happening in games like Hollow Knight, I doubt it's a networking issue. PUGB is definitely going to stress your PC, especially your CPU.

But if you get the actual performance information, you may find an answer. Can't argue with the facts!

So what do I need to do once I download those two programs? How does it work and what do I need to document in order to find the possible cause for these stutters?

Hello guys,

My CPU is Ryzen 1600 with fan cooling Deepcool Gammaxx 400. Thermal paste used is Noctua NT-H1.

Idle load is at 35 celcius degrees. On full load is 53-54 celcius degrees (Handbrake encode 1080p video full load all cores engaged at 100%).

Is this normal? Or I can improve?

Thanks.

NEO0MJ

Is there a reason why the Corsair 100 R isn't supposed to be paired with liquid coolers with two fans? Can't I use the two 120 mm ones at the top for that?

Wondering if there's any good 1080p monitors for the price. THere's the Ben! RL2755HM, but it's mostly made for console gaming of all things apparently!

Edit: From what I could find this seemed like it would suit him best.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-s2718hn-27-ips-led-fhd-monitor-black/5770928.p?skuId=5770928

Maybe consider the BenQ GW2765HT? It's $30 more expensive but has lower response time, higher resolution, and built in speakers. Seems to have good reviews and reception as well.

That's not too bad as long as it's not like launching winter, that would suck.
But for now I should be okay on grabbing a case, cooler and PSU right? Along with storage and what not. Trying to save the big parts for winter (GPU/CPU) so I have access to the latest parts along with sales and what not. Are we expecting Volta this year?

The only reason I can think of is that right now there aren't many sales so there's no reason to rush buying anything. And I guess it could make sense not to buy at least the case because maybe something you'll like better will come in the future. Don't think PSUs and fans move that fast so you should be okay with those. Check out Newegg, they're having a sale on some stuff.

As for Volta, as discussed before it should come between the beginning of fall and the end of winter.

Use something like this to plug two fans into one fan header.

That looks like it would be useful but like RandomExpletive said, is there any chance things can go wrong with this?

Hello guys,

My CPU is Ryzen 1600 with fan cooling Deepcool Gammaxx 400. Thermal paste used is Noctua NT-H1.

Idle load is at 35 celcius degrees. On full load is 53-54 celcius degrees (Handbrake encode 1080p video full load all cores engaged at 100%).

Is this normal? Or I can improve?

Thanks.

I would say that cooler's alittle worse than a hyper 212 so those results seem ok. If you want your temps to decrease you can try increasing the rpm of the fan in your bios or if your Mobo has some fan software, but that will increase noise.

I would say that cooler's alittle worse than a hyper 212 so those results seem ok. If you want your temps to decrease you can try increasing the rpm of the fan in your bios or if your Mobo has some fan software, but that will increase noise.

Haha yeah this is a budget fan cooling recommended by a friend.

By default the fan is running at Smart Mode, 800rpm (max 14xx rpm).

But no matter I set at Smart Mode (often 800rpm) or 100% (1400rpm) the temperature are still literally same. On 100% fan power the temps are sticks to 53 degs. The Smart Mode sometimes 54 sometimes 53.

The fan has sticker so I could notice if the fan properly running at ~1400 rpm). The fan is still quiet but I can feel the airflow on 1400rpm.

But if you saying the results seems ok and normal, I would not doing anything again and will leave them as it is.

Thanks man.

Garou

So the new PC is built with the 7700K at its heart and I am a bit at a loss about its temperatures.
Without any overclock temps are already hitting 80C when encoding something with Handbrake. Prime95 (v28) Small FFTs send it straight up to 95C.
The cooler is the Cryorig H7 with the default fan. I have two Noctua NF-F12 as front intakes and a Corsair AF120 as my rear exhaust (4cm away from the Cryorig-cooler).

I am quite sure I applied the Cryorig correctly, the thermal paste is MX4, so all boxes should be checked here.

Is this still in the margin of "lost really bad at the silicon-lottery" or is something wrong here?

Earlier it reached 80C in Overwatch at 4K (70 at 1080p, max settings, 144fps), runs at 70C with Witcher 3 at max settings at 1080/60fps, and Prey runs ~65 C at max settings 1080p/72fps. The fans run pretty loud

Forgot to mention, ambient temp is 75 F.

Miiiiight be a bad sample. My 1080TI strix doesn't exceed 70 no matter what I do (benchmarking, 4K gaming, etc), and my fan speeds are capped at 45% (which I can't even hear in my case).

If you can't return it, the first thing I would do is replace the thermal paste on the card.

Radec

okay, so my gpu is now in its last breath.

Is it okay to go for the 1060 Mini instead of the normal one ?

Does a single fan can cool it enough ?

The only reason I can think of is that right now there aren't many sales so there's no reason to rush buying anything. And I guess it could make sense not to buy at least the case because maybe something you'll like better will come in the future. Don't think PSUs and fans move that fast so you should be okay with those. Check out Newegg, they're having a sale on some stuff.

As for Volta, as discussed before it should come between the beginning of fall and the end of winter.
Oh hey Noomj :)
But my follow up question would then be should I grab the 1080ti or 2080 and what would roughly be the price/performance gap between the two.

Hard to find any deals right now on a 1080 Ti. No free games, no discounts, nothing. Hardly any used or refurbished listings anywhere either.

Anyone have any tips for seeking out a 1080 Ti these days, in the US?

*Guaraná

Banned
okay, so my gpu is now in its last breath.

Is it okay to go for the 1060 Mini instead of the normal one ?

Does a single fan can cool it enough ?

Dude, i live in a hot city in Brazil, and i had a 1060 mini untill last week and I can say: you'll have no cooling problem at all, the temps never got higher than 70ºC, even during the summer.
The 1060 mini is an amazing piece of hardware.

Radec

*Guaraná;242477814 said:
Dude, i live in a hot city in Brazil, and i had a 1060 mini untill last week and I can say: you'll have no cooling problem at all, the temps never got higher than 70ºC, even during the summer.
The 1060 mini is an amazing piece of hardware.

Thanks, gonna buy one tomorrow.

I find that the 3GB variant isn't far off the 6GB one. Not sure if I can even utilize the added 3GB.

NEO0MJ

Oh hey Noomj :)
But my follow up question would then be should I grab the 1080ti or 2080 and what would roughly be the price/performance gap between the two.

Usually top of the line non-Titan cards have a 25%-35% increase in performance over the previous one, depending on the game and which manufacturer version it is. However Volta I'd supposed to be a bigger jump from before so it could be higher.
Pricing I'm not sure of. The 2080 could cost anywhere between $600 to $800, depending on how Nvidia's feeling. Right now the 1080 ti to costs 40% more than the 1080 but gives you around 30% extra performance. Of course, that was after they dropped the price of the 1080. If we go by original price it was a 16% increase in price.

Thanks, gonna buy one tomorrow.

I find that the 3GB variant isn't far off the 6GB one. Not sure if I can even utilize the added 3GB.

If you game at high or ultra, yes, you can. I was just playing Shadow of Mordor the other day, and had to turn down to high settings because Ultra textures eat up more VRAM than my GTX 970 has.

The Game

My new rig, still waiting for EVGA 1080ti SC2 to be delivered.
My only issue so far is with kraken x62 temps, when i run prime 95 they hit 100c in a 2 minutes, I replaced thermal paste and it still hits 80c on stock 7700k.
Do not purchase win 10 keys from play-asia, two that they sent me where both used, still waiting on refund. Any reliable place where can i buy win 10 key?
dH9Pj5s.jpg

S9XIBc3.jpg

Iud5Xfl.jpg

My only issue so far is with kraken x62 temps, when i run prime 95 they hit 100c in a 2 minutes, I replaced thermal paste and it still hits 80c on stock 7700k.

Remember that the 7700K runs hot and that Prime95 is designed to heat up your CPU as much as possible. Your day-to-day temps, even under load, will never be that high.

I'm in the high 70s on a 6700K (which doesn't run nearly as hot) and a Noctua NH-D15, so if I were you I wouldn't worry too much.

Dave_6

Nice build! Looks exactly like mine too. Think your rear fan is backwards unless you want it as an intake. If so, you need a filter on it.

Ghazi

Miiiiight be a bad sample. My 1080TI strix doesn't exceed 70 no matter what I do (benchmarking, 4K gaming, etc), and my fan speeds are capped at 45% (which I can't even hear in my case).

If you can't return it, the first thing I would do is replace the thermal paste on the card.

I can return it and I'm considering doing so, it's just a hassle. I had an aggressive fan curve for my 980ti that I disabled and the card runs pretty quiet now as the fans never spin past 60% but it's still hitting temps above 70.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Yo GAF, I was talking about getting the Corsair One on the previous page. I said that I was targeting 1080p 60fps, but after a lot of research I'm going to go with a 1440p 144hz monitor. I'd also like to be relatively future proof for the next few years.

I'm guessing the GTX 1080 is my best bet here?

RS4-

Do not purchase win 10 keys from play-asia, two that they sent me where both used, still waiting on refund. Any reliable place where can i buy win 10 key?

Honestly, the Evolv is kinda lousy when it isn't air cooled. Both the intake and exhaust are so restrictive, and people end up popping the top lid a bit or removing it, and the front, they add some sort of spacers to leave an even bigger gap to allow more intake.

Yo GAF, I was talking about getting the Corsair One on the previous page. I said that I was targeting 1080p 60fps, but after a lot of research I'm going to go with a 1440p 144hz monitor. I'd also like to be relatively future proof for the next few years.

I'm guessing the GTX 1080 is my best bet here?

A 1070 can handle 1440p 144Hz modestly, but you're right a 1080 is where you'll want to be, especially with a bit of future-proofing. If you can afford it, I'd recommend going for the 1080 Ti if you're really interested in future-proofing for as long as possible. However, the 1080 will definitely kick ass at 1440p for you.

Weevilone

Remember that the 7700K runs hot and that Prime95 is designed to heat up your CPU as much as possible. Your day-to-day temps, even under load, will never be that high.

I'm in the high 70s on a 6700K (which doesn't run nearly as hot) and a Noctua NH-D15, so if I were you I wouldn't worry too much.

Not to mention that the 7700k has garbage TIM below the heatspreader. You can't really fix that without a delid.

So I bought a new EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black Edition for ~$670, including taxes and shipping. That's not too bad IMO, considering taxes around here normally add over 10% to the cost of my PC parts.

It's gonna feel really good with my Ryzen 1700.

hey PC gaf, I was wondering if there are any mobos out there that don't get their heatsink design covered by gpu. I know maximus IX's rog design does not get blocked by the gpu.

Are there any others?

CazTGG

Asking again (new page and all) for feedback on a new build:

With the rumors surrounding Coffee Lake and Threadripper, i'm wondering if it's best to hold off until we learn more about them/prices lower due to AMD/Intel launching more new offerings or if I should build my new PC with the current Kaby Lake/Ryzen components (I held off originally due to the 1080 Ti rumors along with Zen). In any case, these are the PCs i'm considering building at the moment, with roughly the same components:

Intel - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/q3DLNN
AMD - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/qvthXH

A few notes:
-The AMD incompatibility for the CPU cooler is incorrect: It is compatible with the Arctic Cooler, however the manufacturer will need to be contacted if it's not a revised model
-The BarraCuda Pro drive is there to estimate the price for the 4-bay RAID enclosure's total cost
-I'm undecided on the screen. I'm leaning towards Dell due to the lower cost and higher refresh rate
-The ASUS GPU may be swapped with an iChill if I can order a pair in Canada

The PC is going to be used for gaming (at 1440, with possible plans to move up to 4K once if becomes more supported/affordable) and audio recording and video production for my YouTube channel. I want this PC to be as quiet as possible since I had noise issues with my last one, and my laptop isn't necessarily silent. I'm open to suggestions since 1080 Ti SLI is overkill for 1440p and I can always put the money for a second card towards another component.

Hey all,

I am considering buying a 1080TI really soon. Thing is, my setup is getting old. I have a 4.7ghz 3770K with 16GB of 2133mhz DDR3.

I know that this CPU will bottleneck the 1080TI, especially at 1080p. But I'm planning to play everything at 4k/60. What about it? Since the GPU will have an harder time rendering the graphics at 4K instead of 1080p, will my cpu perform similarly to a 6700k / 7700k in that case?

NEO0MJ

So what's a good, free, benchmark? I feel I should try one.

Asking again (new page and all) for feedback on a new build:

Guess my biggest question is why you're not going with the NZXT Kraken X62. Seems to be pretty popular here and money doesn't seem to be an issue to you.

Hey all,

I am considering buying a 1080TI really soon. Thing is, my setup is getting old. I have a 4.7ghz 3770K with 16GB of 2133mhz DDR3.

I know that this CPU will bottleneck the 1080TI, especially at 1080p. But I'm planning to play everything at 4k/60. What about it? Since the GPU will have an harder time rendering the graphics at 4K instead of 1080p, will my cpu perform similarly to a 6700k / 7700k in that case?

Some modern games will still strain it, even if you're only planning to play at 60 FPS. Biggest offenders are open world games.

FHIZ

Okay, I have some logistical questions as I prep my build.

I'm planning on using this new PC as primarily a machine to play games on and will have it attached to my 4k TV in the living room, so naturally keyboard/mouse solutions are going to be needed. I've gone back and forth between wanting to do this "right" and go all in with a mechanical keyboard in hopes of maybe alleviating some hand pain I get while at keyboards for a good amount of time, or aiming for convenience with a wireless set up.

Right now I'm leaning towards doing this right and getting a good keyboard, after all, I'll have a lot of Amazon rewards when all is said and done. My concern now is cable length. Would it be feasible to route a longer USB extension cable around the back of my entertainment center and between the wall/carpet, without losing any sort of signal for the keyboard? My major concern is that my dog is 50 pounds of muscle and knee-capping skull who can go wild and do laps every now and then, thus cables out in the open aren't great.

Another potential issue I'm finding is that I'm looking at something like the Corsair K70 which has two USB plugs it needs. Is there any elegant solution to my problem or would I hypothetically need to run two USB cable extensions. The included USB passthrough on that model would also mean I could plug a mouse directly into it, correct? EDIT: Upon further reading, maybe USB 3.0 only needs one plug?

Finally, are there any solutions to a flat surface for my lap out there? I keep seeing things like the Roccat board, Corrsair lapdog, or the wireless Razer with a really thin flimsy looking pad, but nothing seems ideal. I'm almost tempted just to find an Ikea shelf and attach a large mouse pad to it as a simple DIY solution.

zedge

Is this a decent rig for Destiny 2, Battlefront 2 etc?

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-5...tsb_s4e&model_id=inspiron-5675-gaming-desktop

With the coupon there is an additional $100 off .

$100OFF$1300PC

Comes to $1299 CDN. A Ryzen 1700X is like $470 CDN, and a 6GB 1060 is about $400.

AMD Ryzen™ 7 1700X Processor (8C/16T, 20MB Cache, 3.8 GHz Precision Boost)

Windows 10 Home

8GB Memory

NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6GB GDDR5

Also has a 256 GB SSD and 1TB HD.

To build this is over $1400 from what I can see.

squall23

I'm on the verge of building a new PC, but then I found this in Costco.
Is this a good price in Canadian dollars? I'm trying to build this on pcpartpicker and so far I'm hitting the target price without the DVD drive, peripherals and SSD.

Any help?

Jabronium

So I bought a new EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black Edition for ~$670, including taxes and shipping. That's not too bad IMO, considering taxes around here normally add over 10% to the cost of my PC parts.

It's gonna feel really good with my Ryzen 1700.

Wow. Where are you at, that seems a good deal.

CazTGG

So what's a good, free, benchmark? I feel I should try one.
Depends on what exactly you're looking to benchmark. UserBenchmark is alright if you're looking to see how your PC compares to other users with X component.

Guess my biggest question is why you're not going with the NZXT Kraken X62. Seems to be pretty popular here and money doesn't seem to be an issue to you.

Well, like the iChill, getting one in or shipped to Canada is an issue since few retailers supply it so I looked for a cooler that was easier to get a hold of.

zedge

Is this a good price in Canadian dollars? I'm trying to build this on pcpartpicker and so far I'm hitting the target price without the DVD drive, peripherals and SSD.

Any help?

That seems pretty good, check out my post about the Dell one too above.

Think I may have to pop over to Costco to see what they have.

Thing with Dell is they have 12 months interest free to pay it off.

McBryBry

Can you guys help me troubleshoot? I'm having an audio issue.

Decided I was gonna sit down and learn to code today. Figured listening to music would be good. Unplug speakers, plug in headphones (headphone jack doesn't work so I use the same plug for both.)

The volume is all over the place in my headphones, but nothing is changing in my mixer or on any programs. I've followed all the advice I can find online with Sound. Communications is set to Do nothing, all enhancement stuff in speaker properties are turned off. I'm at a loss and it's making me irrationally angry.

Edit: Tried reinstalling Realtek drivers. Nope. Audio still sucks.

Sou Da

Tried to go to my local Best Buy and get a gpu. They were all out of stock on the floor but he assured me they had some in the back. 2 minutes later he decides it'd be better to get one shipped to my house I watched this man attempt to order gpus and have them sell out in real time for several minutes before I left...

Got a good deal on some 16gb ram though.

Mercador

Any help?
It seems a good price, is this available to all Costco ?

Jeff6851

Any help?

Considering what 1060s are going for now I'd say yes

Jabronium

Have to keep telling myself that I shouldn't blow the extra dough on a X299 build, Ryzen will be plenty for my gaming needs. This internal argument is going to make for a long few months.

Top Bottom