• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

guys I have been hearing all these review on 7700k being a toasty chip and was wondering whether i should go with 6700k

I do plan to OC but not for another year.

Celcius

°Temp. member
guys I have been hearing all these review on 7700k being a toasty chip and was wondering whether i should go with 6700k

The 7700k does run toasty but it's still a great chip and I'd still choose it over the 6700k unless the 6700k could be obtained at a significant discount. I'm running my 7700k at 4.8ghz on air cooling and it's been rock solid.

So I'm playing the waiting game for GPU's at the moment due to Miners

It's

Buy a cheap used mining card when it eventually crashes like it did last time

Hope Vega is good or buy a 1060/580 once stocks are plentiful again

Or maybe there's a Pascal refresh coming up

Patience...that's all I need...patience...

It's

That Vega that was reviewed last week didn't inspire confidence in me. It's not really meant for gaming, but it still wasn't impressive to me so far for the price. Maybe some driver updates down the road will help.

Otherwise, my advice is to look for an open box or refurbished 1060 somewhere local. Microcenter is great for this if you have one nearby.

Jeff6851

After buying Shadow Of Mordor and trying it on my iMac, I've had enough.

It's done GAF, I've bought a PC.

Asus Strix Z270F + i7 7700k
BeQuiet! Dark Rock 3 fan
GTX 1060 6GB (for now)
16GB Corsair
NZXT S340 Elite case
250GB Samsung SSD + 1TB WD Blue

So excited for steam and Xbox Play Anywhere.

Any tips of which monitor to get?

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824276457&cm_re=hp_24o-_-24-276-457-_-Product

I've had this since November and I love it

It's

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...4137131&cm_re=1060_6gb-_-14-137-131-_-Product

I got the 6700k for relatively cheap and it seems to run alot cooler than the 7700k (especially after delidding). I live in a pretty damn hot area so heat does matter more to me than others probably.

If those two don't apply to you (or you run liquid) then I would say go for the 7700k.

I want to sell my old case, MB, RAM, CPU, and GPU. I have the original box and packaging for my GPU but none of the rest. I could maybe use my new gears' boxes, but then I'd be in this same issue a few years from now.

Any advice for how to wrap/pack my stuff if I sell it on GAF or eBay? I may just do it on Craigslist if I have to, but I'd prefer sending it out as Craigslist selling has been shoddy for me from time to time.

e90Mark

I want to sell my old case, MB, RAM, CPU, and GPU. I have the original box and packaging for my GPU but none of the rest. I could maybe use my new gears' boxes, but then I'd be in this same issue a few years from now.

Any advice for how to wrap/pack my stuff if I sell it on GAF or eBay? I may just do it on Craigslist if I have to, but I'd prefer sending it out as Craigslist selling has been shoddy for me from time to time.

Get anti static bags from your local electronics store and wrap everything.

CazTGG

Well theoretically you could set the fan curve on a blower to be as quiet as a hybrid but then your temps are going to be shitty and your card unstable. So relatively speaking a lot more quiet. Not sure about the case I didn't see what you have but the card is not that much bigger; you just need a space for the fan/radiator. Look up dimensions but even mATX cases should fit it fine.

Alright then, which card manufacturer should I go for a hybrid card?

What parts are you selling? Just curious.

Older stuff mainly - got my new build together except the GPU which arrives late this week I think, so I'm just trying to prep stuff for sale for early next week.

i5-2500k
ASRock P67-Pro3 motherboard
2x4 GB 1.25V 1600 MHz DDR3
960 4GB
Xonar DG sound card

EDIT: RealTemp does not support the Ryzen 1700. Anyone have a suggestion for software to check my CPU's temperatures before I start overclocking? I don't see temperatures reported in CPUID.

Alright then, which card manufacturer should I go for a hybrid card?

Well you've got the EVGA SC2, MSI Seahawk and then there's the Hydro GFX which is a MSI card as well; all should be readily available. You can probably find some direct comparisons between them but I can tell you I've had an EVGA Hybrid (1080) and it was fantastic. I have had MSI cards (780 and 980Ti) which were also fantastic but not hybrids so no personal experience there.

I'd say the SC2. All other things being equal, hardware-wise, you've got the EVGA customer service and step-up options (I've used them both and experience was great).

You could also wait for the EVGA FTW3 Hybrid but performance-wise difference between it and the SC2 will be marginal, and it doesn't even seem clear when they will be coming out, plus getting one upon launch will probably be a pain.

If you haven't had a hybrid before, you'll love it. Once you find the balance of power and temps/noise, you'll never want to go back to air-only.

Well you've got the EVGA SC2, MSI Seahawk and then there's the Hydro GFX which is a MSI card as well; all should be readily available. You can probably find some direct comparisons between them but I can tell you I've had an EVGA Hybrid (1080) and it was fantastic. I have had MSI cards (780 and 980Ti) which were also fantastic but not hybrids so no personal experience there.

I'd say the SC2. All other things being equal, hardware-wise, you've got the EVGA customer service and step-up options (I've used them both and experience was great).

You could also wait for the EVGA FTW3 Hybrid but performance-wise difference between it and the SC2 will be marginal, and it doesn't even seem clear when they will be coming out, plus getting one upon launch will probably be a pain.

If you haven't had a hybrid before, you'll love it. Once you find the balance of power and temps/noise, you'll never want to go back to air-only.

You can also after-market mod some 1080 Ti cards, I believe, to be hybrids. I haven't looked into it personally, but heard that it exists as a thing. I'd probably just spend the the extra $100 to get a factory hybrid card, however.

You can also after-market mod some 1080 Ti cards, I believe, to be hybrids. I haven't looked into it personally, but heard that it exists as a thing. I'd probably just spend the the extra $100 to get a factory hybrid card, however.

That too. Definitely doable but I'm with you on buying a factory hybrid.

brawly

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pre-built PC. I know, I know, I should build it myself. I've already done that twice and the price is good, so fuck it.

I've kinda sworn off PC gaming but I do miss the indies, emulators and steam library. FPS games never feel right with a controller for me either. Editing videos on a laptop sucks aswell.

Some of the specs (pre-built, so the finer details are unknown):

- nVidia GeForce GTX 1060, 6GB
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
- 16Gb RAM
- 256Gb SSD
- 1TB HDD

The HDD seems low but I don't really hoard games (tend to delete them after finishing them) and managed just fine with 100GB space on my laptop for months, so I'll be fine.

Now I'm thinking about getting a 4K monitor with it. I'm aware the 1060 isn't made for 4K gaming, but I also have a Pro that I'd use there and where I plan to play most third party games.

Anyone got recommendations? I don't want it too big because I sit close, so I've been eyeing the BenQ BL2711U.

brawly

Why have you sworn off PC gaming?

I just enjoyed the simplicity of consoles more. I'm someone who has graphics options OCD, so I constantly fiddled with the settings. So having that taken away was really good for me. On top of that I prefer physical (for reselling) and made a few terrible day one purchases on PC.

But I don't plan to play new releases on there so I should be fine. The thing is I had a real high end PC back then so I felt it was almost my duty to buy every new release on PC, why else did I invest that much.

zedge

I bit on the Dell deal.

About $1290 with tax. Used $100 off coupon and also got 2% corp discount.

Ryzen 1700x
8 gb ram
6GB GTX 1060
256 GB SSD
1 TB HD
DVD
Win 10

Bluetooth, wifi and all that jazz..

http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-5...tsb_s4e&model_id=inspiron-5675-gaming-desktop

Pc Part picker was about $200 more to build it my self.

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pre-built PC. I know, I know, I should build it myself. I've already done that twice and the price is good, so fuck it.

I've kinda sworn off PC gaming but I do miss the indies, emulators and steam library. FPS games never feel right with a controller for me either. Editing videos on a laptop sucks aswell.

Some of the specs (pre-built, so the finer details are unknown):

- nVidia GeForce GTX 1060, 6GB
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
- 16Gb RAM
- 256Gb SSD
- 1TB HDD

The HDD seems low but I don't really hoard games (tend to delete them after finishing them) and managed just fine with 100GB space on my laptop for months, so I'll be fine.

Now I'm thinking about getting a 4K monitor with it. I'm aware the 1060 isn't made for 4K gaming, but I also have a Pro that I'd use there and where I plan to play most third party games.

Anyone got recommendations? I don't want it too big because I sit close, so I've been eyeing the BenQ BL2711U.

Did you get the same one from Dell?

zedge

Not yet, but looks like it's the same one. Give me some feedback, please.

edit: actually mine would be a Medion, not Dell.

Wont be here till end of the month. :(

For the price its a nice rig, although mine is in CDN, probably a lot less in US.

The Ryzen 1700x and GTX 1060 on their own are worth over $800 here right now.

I just enjoyed the simplicity of consoles more. I'm someone who has graphics options OCD, so I constantly fiddled with the settings. So having that taken away was really good for me. On top of that I prefer physical (for reselling) and made a few terrible day one purchases on PC.

But I don't plan to play new releases on there so I should be fine. The thing is I had a real high end PC back then so I felt it was almost my duty to buy every new release on PC, why else did I invest that much.

Ah yeah I can see the constant nightmare of that scenario. I always have a high end pc and end up playing older games and civilization it is sad.

I am helping a friend build his first PC these current graphics card prices are insane.

Should I use AMD's master utility software to overclock, or overclock from the BIOS? I have a 1700 paired with an MSI B350M Gaming Pro if that makes a difference. Using the stock wraith spire cooler and only planning to OC to 3.7 GHz.

Posted this in the Ryzen thread also but thought it might be more appropriate here.

Steel

Banned
Should I use AMD's master utility software to overclock, or overclock from the BIOS? I have a 1700 paired with an MSI B350M Gaming Pro if that makes a difference. Using the stock wraith spire cooler and only planning to OC to 3.7 GHz.

Posted this in the Ryzen thread also but thought it might be more appropriate here.

Bios. And 3.7 should be fine with the stock cooler. Try 1.3ish Volts. For your memory just turn on A-XMP.

CazTGG

Thanks, i'll look into the FTW3 and Hydro GFX (probably the GFX since i've heard nothing but good things from MSI on the customer service front)! Still undecided on whether to go Ryzen or Kaby Lake, but this helps out a lot!

VoxPop

What's the next step upgrade from a 970? A 1070? 1080? Ti?

Are they worthy of upgrade with their ridiculous price tags?

VoxPop

Depends on your budget and needs. So, budget? What resolution/refresh rate is your monitor?

Don't really want to spend more than 550 considering I got the 970 for 350ish back in the day. Looking for a decent bump that will see nice improved performances over the 970 but not hurt my wallet too much.

Currently on an Asus PB278Q but want to upgrade to a Samsung CF791 eventually.

Flipped my RX480 for a decent profit due to the mining boom. I'm looking to future-proof my rig a little bit, upgrade my monitor for some Free/G-Sync action and minimum 2K screen. The 8Gb 480 was giving me decent frames @1080p but never a consistent 60 for say, Witcher 3. So I guess I want some more power if I'm going higher res soon.

If I was to go down the 1080 Ti route, how does this card fare:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1330062-REG/evga_11g_p4_6393_kr_geforce_gtx_1080_ti.html

Seems reasonably priced as far as those cards go, I haven't really seen others south of the $900 bracket.

NEO0MJ

Don't really want to spend more than 550 considering I got the 970 for 350ish back in the day. Looking for a decent bump that will see nice improved performances over the 970 but not hurt my wallet too much.

In your situation I'd rather wait for the 2070, considering that it will be out within half a year. If you're impatient though go for the 1080. It will give you around double your old performance.

Socreges

Banned
Hi.

Current Specs: Weak laptop. No desktop.
Budget: $1000-1200, Canada
Main Use: Light Gaming (5), Gaming (5), General Usage (5), Emulation (4), Video Editing (2), Streaming games in HD (1), 3D/Model work (and what program) (1)
Monitor Resolution: 1080p to start (own a Samsung LS24D590PL), but will be upgrading within a couple years
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: 30FPS acceptable but strong preference for running AAA games at 1080/60. 4K can wait until I upgrade components
Looking to reuse any parts?: I already own a SanDisk Ultra II 480GB SATA III SDD that I'd like to use in the build
When will you build?: Within the next month or two
Will you be overclocking?: Without knowing much about it... probably not if it will cost me more in parts

I'm hoping to keep this simple. I may actually just have NCIX literally build the 'build' since it would save me a lot of time (of course, at the expense of $$).

Dream build would probably be Ryzen 7 with GTX 1070 but then I'm probably looking at $1500 CDN...? So maybe I should set my sights lower 🤔

Vhalyar

My beloved PC got destroyed by a transport company and they finally ponied up for the insurance money.

So time to build a new PC!

Budget: 1400e~
Purpose: Living room gaming, Mini ITX.
Monitor: I own an Asus PG279Q ROG, so the goal is running everything at 1440p.

Here's what I'm looking at:

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H75 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX Z270i GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master - Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - PRIME Titanium 650W 80+ Titanium Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A9 PWM 46.4 CFM 92mm Fan
Monitor: Asus - PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor
Total: €1414.08

Any glaring issues and/or suggestions?

Now begins the Prime95 tests. Set my CPU to 3700 MHz, disabled boost, and core voltage to 1.2875 (rounds it to that instead of the 1.29 I set, for some reason). We'll see what this Ryzen 1700 can handle at that voltage. Strongly prefer cool/quiet to a larger overclock. Once this goes through a few hours of Prime95 testing, I'll get the RAM up to 2933 MHz and retest it all.

kmfdmpig

Flipped my RX480 for a decent profit due to the mining boom. I'm looking to future-proof my rig a little bit, upgrade my monitor for some Free/G-Sync action and minimum 2K screen. The 8Gb 480 was giving me decent frames @1080p but never a consistent 60 for say, Witcher 3. So I guess I want some more power if I'm going higher res soon.

If I was to go down the 1080 Ti route, how does this card fare:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1330062-REG/evga_11g_p4_6393_kr_geforce_gtx_1080_ti.html

Seems reasonably priced as far as those cards go, I haven't really seen others south of the $900 bracket.

I have that card and am very happy with it. Some have had heating issues with EVGA's 1080 ti line, but mine stays nice and cool when gaming.

Top Bottom