• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Pachimari

I need some quick help. I'm looking to buy an enclosure for my hard drives, but when I look at this Silverstone TS431S one, it seems to have a "mini-SAS" connector on the back. Does that mean I won't be able to connect it to my computer through a USB cable? And shouldn't I want an enclosure that connects through USB 3.0? I don't want one that connects through a wireless connection like my NAS mind you.

bB7xwI8.jpg

I'm in the process of getting new guts for my 4yo PC, looking at what to replace and what to keep. One of the things I'm thinking of replacing is my PSU.

I have used a Seasonic M12II 620 Bronze PSU for the past 4 years of extensive use (say, 8 hours per day). As far as I can tell, it's still trucking along just fine, but then again I don't really know what to look for beyond 'it hasn't blown up yet'. Would it be wise to replace it (could failure damage my shiny new parts?), or am I good leaving it in and replacing it when it starts to show wear or fails?

Apt101

I found out I got a promotion and big raise, so I decided to treat myself:

Motherboard: MSI Pro Series Intel Z270
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2 GHz, NZXT Kraken liquid cooling (forgot the model)
Mem: 16 GB DDR4 Fury Hyperx (8GB x 2, will pick up another 16 GB if I need it)
HDD1: 240 GB WD Green SSD
HDD2: 1TB Samsung EVO 850 SSD
GPU: ASUS Turbo GTX 1080 8G
Case: Corsair Crystal Series 570X RGB
OSU: Corsair X600
Windows 10 Home

Now I need a 32" 1440p monitor. Is it worth getting a 144Hz, or is 75Hz enough?

rtcn63

I'm in the process of getting new guts for my 4yo PC, looking at what to replace and what to keep. One of the things I'm thinking of replacing is my PSU.

I have used a Seasonic M12II 620 Bronze PSU for the past 4 years of extensive use (say, 8 hours per day). As far as I can tell, it's still trucking along just fine, but then again I don't really know what to look for beyond 'it hasn't blown up yet'. Would it be wise to replace it (could failure damage my shiny new parts?), or am I good leaving it in and replacing it when it starts to show wear or fails?

PSU's can last for like 10 years plus, but they do become worse over time. I'd personally keep it if it plays fine with (I'm assuming) a new GPU.

I have a 430W Seasonic that's been going on for 5 years/16 hours a day and across two GPU's.

kuYuri

Any thoughts on my pc build?

CPU: ryzen 5 1600
MOBO: GA-Ab 350 gaming
GPU: GTX 1060 or 1070, 580 radeon I haven't decided yet.
MEMORY: 2x8GB ripjaw V series DDR4 3000
SSD: sandisk ultra II 240gb
HD: WD blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
CASE:Corsair - 100R Silent ATX Mid Tower Case

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yQjqnn

my goal is mainly gaming, not sure if I would be able to accomplish 4k gaming. what do you guys say?

Looks good, 4K gaming will be doable on any of those GPUs if you're ok with a stable 30fps on High/Ultra settings. A steady 60fps is not doable with any of those cards unless you're playing older games or play on low/medium settings, maybe some high. Depends on the game.

Going for a Ryzen build but don't know which mobo to get

I'm between the ASRock Taichi and the Gigabyte Gaming 5/K7, and tbh I was leaning toward the Gigabyte because of dual BIOS until I heard of the Gigabytes having a softbrick issue which Gigabyte still hasn't fixed

Is the single BIOS on the Taichi ok? Usually I'd think stuff like this is just marketing but with the amount of updates on these things due to the new platform pains the dual BIOS did seem like a decent selling point

Asrock Taichi is a fine, solid board. Dual Bios is nice to have, but not necessary. I guess if you plan on overclocking and something messes up, I guess the peace of mind of having dual bios is a nice safety net.

Looks good, 4K gaming will be doable on any of those GPUs if you're ok with a stable 30fps on High/Ultra settings. A steady 60fps is not doable with any of those cards unless you're playing older games or play on low/medium settings, maybe some high. Depends on the game.

Asrock Taichi is a fine, solid board. Dual Bios is nice to have, but not necessary. I guess if you plan on overclocking and something messes up, I guess the peace of mind of having dual bios is a nice safety net.

Thanks. So 4k with higher fps only with 1080?

Meier

So.. I'm looking at putting together some components and is every Radeon card over the 460 impossible to get? They're all like $500-600 despite the chart in the OP showing like $250 or so. O_O

So.. I'm looking at putting together some components and is every Radeon card over the 460 impossible to get? They're all like $500-600 despite the chart in the OP showing like $250 or so. O_O

They have been out of stock for a while , you can only find overpriced Radeon for third party sellers, when big retailers get them in stock they sell out right away

Meier

I have an old PSU that still works okay. If I can save $50, is it worth just salvaging the "Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus - 500W Power Supply" from my existing machine? I'll probably buy a new case since my old Antek 300 is so dusty at this point.

I have an old PSU that still works okay. If I can save $50, is it worth just salvaging the "Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus - 500W Power Supply" from my existing machine? I'll probably buy a new case since my old Antek 300 is so dusty at this point.

If it's over 5 years old I would suggest getting a new one. If your old case is that dusty imagine the inside of that PSU.

guys is there a big advantage to using M2 than SATA?

The mobo I am thinking of getting is msi z70 gaming m3 (should I got for m5, m7 or something better?) and heard things about the poor M2 shield or something...

follow up question: I'm considering getting an ssd later anyway so it is cumbersome to transfer OS to ssd later?

guys is there a big advantage to using M2 than SATA?

The mobo I am thinking of getting is msi z70 gaming m3 (should I got for m5, m7 or something better?) and heard things about the poor M2 shield or something...

follow up question: I'm considering getting an ssd later anyway so it is cumbersome to transfer OS to ssd later?

For most consumer level tasks, the main difference will be..... the m.2 drive doesn't have cables. The speed difference will be negligible.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I just went on Newegg, and all but one of their 1060 6GB models were out of stock. Is this normal?

Socreges

Banned
I just went on Newegg, and all but one of their 1060 6GB models were out of stock. Is this normal?
Nope. Could be increased demand thanks to mining. Or there could be a manufacturer supply chain problem. Either way 1060s and 1070s are harder to come by and have gone way up in price (at least in Canada).

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Nope. Could be increased demand thanks to mining. Or there could be a manufacturer supply chain problem. Either way 1060s and 1070s are harder to come by and have gone way up in price (at least in Canada).

Thanks for letting me know.

Well, this is a bit frustrating, I suppose. Hopefully more are produced to meet the demand or we see a successor product soon. (I'm guessing that's coming in 2018, so probably not.)

It's doable on a 1070 with some settings tweaks, but ideally you want a 1080 or even better, a 1080 Ti.

So I can run current games a 4K/60fps on maybe High settings with 1080?

Fake edit: Is the price of a 1080 creeping up to 1080 ti levels? Does this have anything to do with that mining shit?

Dina

Well, that would be too much money then, so I guess I will stick with 580 or 1060 and stay with 1444p

How much fps are we talking? My 1070 on 1440p and high details cannot break into 144fps space (I have a Gsync 144hz monitor) on modern games. Usually it's around the 60-70.

Drakhoran

Neo Member
Can any tell me what the difference is between these two GPU cards?
https://www.elgiganten.se/INTERSHOP...elgigantenSE|MSIGTX1060X6G@store-elgigantenSE

One is MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT OCV1 and the other one is MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GT Gaming X

The OCV1 looks like the base model while the Gaming X has a few more features.

Both cards have 1 HDMI and 1 DVI-D port but the X has 3 Displayports vs. 1 for the OCV1

The OCV1 has a boost clock of 1759MHz while the Gaming X can operate in three modes:

Silent mode - A bit slower than the OCV1
Gaming mode - Nominally faster than the OCV1
OC mode - Could actually be measurably faster than the OCV1

The bottom of the comparison also mentions that the Gaming X weights 1017g vs. 556g for the OCV1. This probably means that the heatsink on the Gaming X is a lot beefier.

NEO0MJ

So, will I benefit if I switch my case from the Corsair 100R to the NZXT S340? Been kinda considering doing that right now. Also, why does PCPARTPICKER say that the 100R can only accept 120MM liquid coolers, even though the top exhaust has space for two 120mm fans?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
My PC will go faster now.

untitled1xls0x.png

no racing stripes so not that fast.

Hi guys, can anyone provide me a UK link for the power cable for a GTX 1060 6GB? Bought one from Amazon warehouse and it doesn't have a cable included. I don't know what I should be going for tbh. First build.

I've heard I need a 6 pin but don't know if its male to female, male to male etc.

This is the PSU :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009RMP2VE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that's a non modular PSU so all the cables are attached for it. stick the PCIE cable into your 1060.

Sorry if i've misunderstood what you are asking.

So, will I benefit if I switch my case from the Corsair 100R to the NZXT S340? Been kinda considering doing that right now. Also, why does PCPARTPICKER say that the 100R can only accept 120MM liquid coolers, even though the top exhaust has space for two 120mm fans?

the S340 will have better air flow due to better design for cable management and no ODD/HDD cages. the s340 can fit 2 fans on the front and they won't be blocked. if you have 2 fans at the front of the 100R then one will be blocked by the HDD cage. also the s340 has a PSU shroud so the air from the 2 fans will be directed straight to your GPU/CPU.

Danny 117

no racing stripes so not that fast.

that's a non modular PSU so all the cables are attached for it. stick the PCIE cable into your 1060.

Sorry if i've misunderstood what you are asking.

So I don't need a separate cable that comes with the 1060 or anything? Just plug it in and all good?

Hi guys, can anyone provide me a UK link for the power cable for a GTX 1060 6GB? Bought one from Amazon warehouse and it doesn't have a cable included. I don't know what I should be going for tbh. First build.

I've heard I need a 6 pin but don't know if its male to female, male to male etc.

This is the PSU :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B009RMP2VE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What model of GTX 1060?

Otherwise most PSUs of that level will use one or two 6 pin PCIE connectors, like so:
pcie-connectors.jpg

On the right is 6+2 pin connector, intended to fit into an 8 pin slot if need be, though it can function as just 6. From the PSU you will have male connectors - and it should come with at least two 6 pins - that plug into the female slots on your GPU.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
So I don't need a separate cable that comes with the 1060 or anything? Just plug it in and all good?

nope. a non modular PSU has all the cables you need (and probably don't need) attached to it. a hybrid modular PSU usually only has 2 cables attached that are needed to power your CPU/motherboard (which every PC needs) and you plug in whatever other cables you need such as SATA for drives, PCIE for GPU cards. a modular PSU doesn't have any cables attached at all.

Deques

The OCV1 looks like the base model while the Gaming X has a few more features.

Both cards have 1 HDMI and 1 DVI-D port but the X has 3 Displayports vs. 1 for the OCV1

The OCV1 has a boost clock of 1759MHz while the Gaming X can operate in three modes:

Silent mode - A bit slower than the OCV1
Gaming mode - Nominally faster than the OCV1
OC mode - Could actually be measurably faster than the OCV1

The bottom of the comparison also mentions that the Gaming X weights 1017g vs. 556g for the OCV1. This probably means that the heatsink on the Gaming X is a lot beefier.

Apart the specs, I assume that the Gaming X's performance better than OCV1, correct?

Danny 117

What model of GTX 1060?

Otherwise most PSUs of that level will use one or two 6 pin PCIE connectors, like so:

On the right is 6+2 pin connector, intended to fit into an 8 pin slot if need be, though it can function as just 6. From the PSU you will have male connectors - and it should come with at least two 6 pins - that plug into the female slots on your GPU.

This is the model of GTX 1060 I have bought:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I1D1XXA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Going by your above statement, even if it was an 8 pin, it would still be good?

nope. a non modular PSU has all the cables you need (and probably don't need) attached to it. a hybrid modular PSU usually only has 2 cables attached that are needed to power your CPU/motherboard (which every PC needs) and you plug in whatever other cables you need such as SATA for drives, PCIE for GPU cards. a modular PSU doesn't have any cables attached at all.

Ahh I see, thanks for the explanation.

So, the pins from the PSU would plug in here? (might be different for my model)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01I1D1XXA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wouldn't recommend trying to force an 8 pin plug into a 6 pin socket. Of course the reality is that your GPU does use an 8 pin socket, but the CX500 comes with a 6+2 pin connector so you're fine.

Danny 117

Wouldn't recommend trying to force an 8 pin plug into a 6 pin socket. Of course the reality is that your GPU does use an 8 pin socket, but the CX500 comes with a 6+2 pin connector so you're fine.

Thank you very much for the help. Complete noob here so it's good to have some wise words :)

Livanh

So in hopes of GPU prices coming down in the next few weeks, what are normal prices for the likes of a 1060/1070 and a r580?
What were normal retail prices half a year ago (Europe if anyone knows) and what would you think is a reasonable price for a used mining crad?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member

yep just stick your 6+2 PCIE cable in. the model in the image only has a 6pin but the model you bought has an 8 pin. you're good to go :)

kmfdmpig

Thanks, just to double check, the heatsink you are referring to is Cryorig H7?

I will primarily use the pc for programming as well as some 2d-3d work, while I do game quite a bit it's mostly less demanding games so I'm not worried about maxing out the latest AAA games. Do you still think 1060 is insufficient? With gpus being so expensive now I thought I'd go for the cheaper option and upgrade next year, but I really want 1440p for the increased workspace...

Yes, that heatsink should work well. A 1060 will be good for what you need as well, although it can be hard to find ones that aren't overpriced now due to the mining fad.

b3b0p

In for the first time to make myself poor as shit. Kidding... I just hate spending money.

Haven't built a PC since college (35 is the new 25, right?). Tad overwhelmed here.

I would like to do the following, either via a single PC or if recommended separates:

1. HTPC: Sit under the TV for Plex or XBMC (Kodi) and Steam/Games
2. Storage (NAS?)
3. Home server for accessing when I'm away (Google Fiber allows home servers for personal use)

I want it reasonably small as possible and quiet. The one thing that always bugged me was I never could ever get my PC to be as quiet as any of the Dell's we had in the office despite what the reviews said back then. Hoping that's changed. Linux is a must.

I'm thinking of going with the upper end <$1,000 recommendations w/ 1060 and splurging on a quiet nice looking case and quiet power supply. Then loading it up with as much storage as I can perhaps as needed over time. Then maybe in a few years retire it as dedicated NAS/Server and do it again with intentions as building a dedicated HTPC/Game PC.

Am I on the right path and thoughts? Any compatibility or notes I should look out for?

Tl;dr: Sorry.

kmfdmpig

Am I on the right path and thoughts? Any compatibility or notes I should look out for?

It seems like a viable plan. The one thing to watch out for if you're looking to use it as a NAS in the future is that many of the smaller cases don't have a lot of 3.5 drive bays. I'm sure you'll find one that does, but it'll be something to consider when making your choice.

Ladekabel

I would need a new PC but can't afford one so I'm trying to keep my current one alive with some organ donoations. It should last me at least another year hopefully.

Two questions:

1. I have an i5-2500k in my PC. I think I'm noticing its age and would like to upgrade. what would be the bets and cheapest (preferable ~150€) option? Alternatively, the cooler is pretty loud. I tried a tower one which was supposed to be quieter but it was louder than the stock one I use. Anyone got recommendations on that front?

2. I'm looking into replacing my HDD. Preferably for a SSD. I need one that is around 500GB but SSDs in that category are quite a bit expensive for me. Should I look into SSHDs or a SSD+HDD combination? What would be the cheapest and best option?

Thanks in advance!

Now I need a 32" 1440p monitor. Is it worth getting a 144Hz, or is 75Hz enough?

Most people who go 144hz swear by it. Certainly it's a visible difference.

Are you on the right path? Well you don't have any parts picked out so there's that :)

If you want something small but you want NAS-level storage, you'll almost certainly want an external disk enclosure. Makes things easier to some extent anyway.

I would need a new PC but can't afford one so I'm trying to keep my current one alive with some organ donoations. It should last me at least another year hopefully.

Two questions:

1. I have an i5-2500k in my PC. I think I'm noticing its age and would like to upgrade. what would be the bets and cheapest (preferable ~150€) option? Alternatively, the cooler is pretty loud. I tried a tower one which was supposed to be quieter but it was louder than the stock one I use. Anyone got recommendations on that front?

2. I'm looking into replacing my HDD. Preferably for a SSD. I need one that is around 500GB but SSDs in that category are quite a bit expensive for me. Should I look into SSHDs or a SSD+HDD combination? What would be the cheapest and best option?

Thanks in advance!

1) Are you overclocking your i5-2500k? There's no great replacement for that CPU without buying a new motherboard (and likely new RAM to go with it), so my advice would be to overclock it and get a good cooler for it.

2) I would do SSD + HDD. You can get a 240 GB SDD for around $80-$100. I'd just toss that in with your HDD if you're trying to keep your budget in check.

Ladekabel

1) Are you overclocking your i5-2500k? There's no great replacement for that CPU without buying a new motherboard (and likely new RAM to go with it), so my advice would be to overclock it and get a good cooler for it.

2) I would do SSD + HDD. You can get a 240 GB SDD for around $80-$100. I'd just toss that in with your HDD if you're trying to keep your budget in check.

I don't currently overclock but might do it. What cooler would you recommend? I had a beQuiet recently which didn't really fit on my motherboard so I returned it.

Might go with your harddrive recommendations. Thanks!

Top Bottom