• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

TheBear

His mobo doesn't support NVMe Protocol so the adapter wont offer any speed benefit over a standard SATA III SSD.

However, if there's any plan to upgrade the mobo (within the next two years or so) to one with NVMe and the M.2 slot then I would keep the 960 for now.

I posted this same question on another forum and got the following response:

'The motherboard doesn't have an M.2. slot so the SSD is useless unless using an adapter card but as been said there's a good chance it may not be bootable. You could only use the SSD for an extra storage drive in that situation. Yeah i forgot about the possible not being able to boot off it thing.'

So apparently I may not be able to boot off the adapter?

So due to my PC acting up I'm using it as an excuse to upgrade.
A new MOBO,PSU and CPU.
I'm still kinda new to PC so I need to know how Windows handles this.
I bought a new retail usb drive to install Windows.
Does it allow me to install to this "new" PC at no extra charge?
And if so do I just install as I did before by making the sub the initial boot device?

cyborg009

Banned
i highly recommend EVGA. i have a G2 but there are newer G3 models out.

Evga or Seasonic is what I would get. I would also get at least a semi modular one also and an 80 plus certification.

Is this a good one? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BE058W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I aklso contacted EVGA since my power supply is still and warranty and they told me my power supply is perfectly fine.

Anything here looks funny?

p03WR5k.png

Swig_

The node 202 can only fit coolers up to 58mm high though, so a NHU14S is much too big in that case.

A node 202 should be able to handle a ryzen 1700 or a 1600. Using the stock cooler, or if you don't mind removing the dust cover, a scythe big shuriken. A 7700k would probably run hot, but it could work if you won't OC.

I don't really OC. I just wanted to make sure I wouldn't run into overheating issues with one of those CPUs. I've been an intel guy for the last 10+ years, but am thinking about giving Ryzen a shot. Not sure which to get, whatever is comparable to the 7700K.

So what's the current thought on the Ryzen? Motherboard is fried so I'm looking to upgrade.
The 1600 is the best bang for the buck, make sure you check the QVL list for the RAM before you buy your parts.

There's better RAM compatibility now than there was at launch, but you're going to be spending more on RAM due to shortages.

Bloodember

Is this a good one? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BE058W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I aklso contacted EVGA since my power supply is still and warranty and they told me my power supply is perfectly fine.

Anything here looks funny?

How did they decide on that? I've seen many computers that have your symtoms and it's always the PSU. If by chance it's not your PSU, what's your temps when the computer shuts down?

Yes that is a good one.

So what's the current thought on the Ryzen? Motherboard is fried so I'm looking to upgrade.

Ryzen is a great processor, look up some reviews if your having doubts on it. I'm going to switch to the R7 1700X from my I7 6700K when the Gigabyte mITX comes out, whenever that is (suppose to be within a few weeks).

So due to my PC acting up I'm using it as an excuse to upgrade.
A new MOBO,PSU and CPU.
I'm still kinda new to PC so I need to know how Windows handles this.
I bought a new retail usb drive to install Windows.
Does it allow me to install to this "new" PC at no extra charge?
And if so do I just install as I did before by making the sub the initial boot device?

If you get a new motherboard, you'll need to transfer your old Windows license if you want to use it on the new motherboard.

If you build your new PC and have Windows on a USB drive, plug the USB drive into your PC when you boot it up. Spam the Delete key to get into your BIOS. In BIOS, choose to boot from the USB drive and exit the BIOS. You'll now go into Windows installation.

After that, you can try to activate using your old Windows key (or a new one if you bought a brand new key) in the Start Menu under Accounts, I believe.

Grubs

Neo Member
What's up people.

I bought a prebuilt Asus desktop with a i5 6400 cpu and a gtx 1060 6gb. I want to upgrade the gpu to a 1080ti for 4k gaming will I need to upgrade my cpu as well? I've been getting mixed feedback from different places. I can't do both right now. Thanks for input

What's up people.

I bought a prebuilt Asus desktop with a i5 6400 cpu and a gtx 1060 6gb. I want to upgrade the gpu to a 1080ti for 4k gaming will I need to upgrade my cpu as well? I've been getting mixed feedback from different places. I can't do both right now. Thanks for input

With a pre-built, you need to check the power supply before upgrading any parts, especially a relatively power-hungry GPU. What power supply is in there?

Didn't even know QVL was a thing, cool.

What would be better (for Ryzen), running your RAM at 2933 with 16 16 16 36 (or lower), or 3200 at 18 18 18 36?

McBryBry

Don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but if you want a large SSD, do this.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sandisk...ate-drive-for-laptops/1167009.p?skuId=1167009

It's $400, comes with a $130 Best Buy gift card. So $270 if you will use it.

B&H has it for $270.

Best Buy price matches. So order online. Call customer service, say you want to price match. They did it for me after the SSD shipped. So the SSD cost $270, and the $130 GC shipped as well. 1TB of SSD space for $140.

Just a heads up on this that I posted earlier. They aren't supposed to price match ebcause of that gift card. It COULD work in store but I'm not sure. I shipped because on the phone CS can be called back for a different person if someone says no.

cyborg009

Banned
How did they decide on that? I've seen many computers that have your symtoms and it's always the PSU. If by chance it's not your PSU, what's your temps when the computer shuts down?

Yes that is a good one.

Ryzen is a great processor, look up some reviews if your having doubts on it. I'm going to switch to the R7 1700X from my I7 6700K when the Gigabyte mITX comes out, whenever that is (suppose to be within a few weeks).

They sent me this to do:
I recommend that you check the voltages that your power supply is outputting to make sure that the power supply is not malfunctioning. In order to test your power supply, I recommend that you check the 12v rail on your power supply to rule out any potential power issues that may be causing your system to not work properly. What you are looking for when checking the 12v rail is any unusual fluctuations. If the 12v rail's rating is fluctuating constantly or if the rating is higher than 12.9 or lower than 11.4, then most likely there is an issue with the power supply that is making your graphics card to act abnormally. Here is a link on how to check the 12v rail on your computer through the BIOS screen, link https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=59025 and while you are at it, please check the other rails as well, here is a guide on how to do that, link here https://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=59665

And I check my PC at boot and it's the same as before.

Frequency is generally more important than timings, IMO. I vote the 3200.

Yikes, 3200 is still a no-go, even with 1.3 v and the slower timings.

I'll re-seat and/or swap around the RAM when my cooler gets here. If that doesn't work IDK what else to do besides return/reorder from amazon.

I'll re-seat and/or swap around the RAM when my cooler gets here. If that doesn't work IDK what else to do besides return/reorder from amazon.

1.35V is pretty standard for 3000 MHz or higher clocks on DDR4. I'd try 1.35 instead of 1.3 before giving up hope, personally.

LilJoka

It's not necessarily the RAM that's defective, in fact it's more than likely fine. When you run XMP you overclock the CPUs Intel memory controller, it's rated for 2133mhz.
You need to play with the VCCSA/VCCIO voltages to stabilise the IMC. XMP uses a brute force attempt to stabilise the IMC, but it's not guaranteed to work. Too much voltage can also make it worse off sometimes. It's best to dial in the DRAM Freq, primary DRAM timings, VDIMM, VCCSA, VCCIO manually to get it running efficiently.

For 3200mhz I would expect the ball park to be
1.35-1.37v VDIMM, 1.15-1.25v VCCIO, 1.05-1.15v VCCSA (more is not always better). Again it's all CPU dependant, your CPU may have completely different characteristics.

Übermatik;242987077 said:
PSU is a bit shit at only 500w to be honest. That's too low for a 1080 in my opinion. You could swap that out though?

Otherwise looks good!

No, I would have to swap after I buy it, so extra money there. Why Asus would use a fucking underpowered PSU out of the box? Damn it

Bloodember

Übermatik;242987077 said:
PSU is a bit shit at only 500w to be honest. That's too low for a 1080 in my opinion. You could swap that out though?

Otherwise looks good!

No, I would have to swap after I buy it, so extra money there. Why Asus would use a fucking underpowered PSU out of the box? Damn it

A 500w PSU is more than enough for a 1080. Nvidia's site says that a 500w is minimum requirement with the max draw at 180w, you should be fine.

A 500w PSU is more than enough for a 1080. Nvidia's site says that a 500w is minimum requirement with the max draw at 180w, you should be fine.

I'd always say better safe than sorry, and I know the recommendations provide overhead (I think you'd only realistically need ~350w for that machine), but eh...

You should be totally fine upon reflection, Booker.DeWitt. Go for it.

holysan

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition GAMING @ 690€

or

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G @ 525€?

My current card is a GTX 970 and I game @ 1440p with G-Sync. The 1080 alone seems like a massive upgrade, but is it safe to buy a year old card?

EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition GAMING @ 690€

or

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 GAMING X 8G @ 525€?

My current card is a GTX 970 and I game @ 1440p with G-Sync. The 1080 alone seems like a massive upgrade, but is it safe to buy a year old card?

1080 is fine for maxing out most current games at 1440p, especially if you have a G-Sync monitor, but if you really want to keep your card for the longest amount of time before upgrading again you might as well go with the TI if you can afford it.

vector824

I posted this same question on another forum and got the following response:

'The motherboard doesn't have an M.2. slot so the SSD is useless unless using an adapter card but as been said there's a good chance it may not be bootable. You could only use the SSD for an extra storage drive in that situation. Yeah i forgot about the possible not being able to boot off it thing.'

So apparently I may not be able to boot off the adapter?

Guess not. I haven't tried personally. If you can return it then I would considering this might be the case.

h0mebas3

Just a heads up on this that I posted earlier. They aren't supposed to price match ebcause of that gift card. It COULD work in store but I'm not sure. I shipped because on the phone CS can be called back for a different person if someone says no.

Deal is dead now.

What is a nice GPU benchmark tool? Not looking to stress-test necessarily, just benchmark. Want to run it with my 960 and then after I install my 1080 ti.

What is a nice GPU benchmark tool? Not looking to stress-test necessarily, just benchmark. Want to run it with my 960 and then after I install my 1080 ti.

Standard ones include the Heaven and Valley benchmarks, which come with the benefit of being free. 3DMark is useful but costs money.

Standard ones include the Heaven and Valley benchmarks, which come with the benefit of being free. 3DMark is useful but costs money.

Thanks for the quick reply! gonna go with Valley because I like the name more and know nothing about the differences (nor particularly care... just need a standard to test both cards).

televator

With my new job it's finally time for me to get into the planning phase for a new PC. I want an emulation monster. Primarily for PCSX2 and Dolphin. Has AMD closed the gap for this sort of application with Ryzen or am I still better served with intel?

Ronin Ray

I want to build a second PC for dedicated streaming . This PC will run obs and get on the web and really nothing else. I put together a random build and would love feedback. I am not sure if this pc is under kill over kill or if I need to move up to an i7. My max budget is $800 and all parts have to be ordered from amazon. I would love a small cube shaped case

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/MKhKm8

It's not necessarily the RAM that's defective, in fact it's more than likely fine. When you run XMP you overclock the CPUs Intel memory controller, it's rated for 2133mhz.
You need to play with the VCCSA/VCCIO voltages to stabilise the IMC. XMP uses a brute force attempt to stabilise the IMC, but it's not guaranteed to work. Too much voltage can also make it worse off sometimes. It's best to dial in the DRAM Freq, primary DRAM timings, VDIMM, VCCSA, VCCIO manually to get it running efficiently.

For 3200mhz I would expect the ball park to be
1.35-1.37v VDIMM, 1.15-1.25v VCCIO, 1.05-1.15v VCCSA (more is not always better). Again it's all CPU dependant, your CPU may have completely different characteristics.

Good to know, I'll give this a shot after work tomorrow

Socreges

Banned
So this is my build (Canada) thanks to Jafku and others:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4dP6zM

I've got everything lined up to order, except the 1070 of course.

What do you guys suggest? Vuugo takes back orders at $548 so does that mean they'll honour the price?

What cheap, value card would be good to get in the meantime? Something that would be compatible and allow me to play older games (I have a hefty backlog)?

Branson

Even though I'm super nervous about AIO coolers and it leaking into my case (I know it's rare, but it's still possible). Is the Kraken x62 or H100vi better? And is the warranty better with corsair or NZXT in the case of leaks?

Jafku

So this is my build (Canada) thanks to Jafku and others:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/4dP6zM

I've got everything lined up to order, except the 1070 of course.

What do you guys suggest? Vuugo takes back orders at $548 so does that mean they'll honour the price?

What cheap, value card would be good to get in the meantime? Something that would be compatible and allow me to play older games (I have a hefty backlog)?

1050 Ti I suppose

Even though I'm super nervous about AIO coolers and it leaking into my case (I know it's rare, but it's still possible). Is the Kraken x62 or H100vi better? And is the warranty better with corsair or NZXT in the case of leaks?

I was like you and paranoid about aio. I ended up getting the H100i V2 since it was on sale. Hasn't leaked yet and word of mouth states if it does leak corsair will replace the damaged parts. Have no idea if that is true. I couldn't afford the X62. The H100i V2 keeps my 7700K decently cooled so i'm satisfied

kuYuri

With my new job it's finally time for me to get into the planning phase for a new PC. I want an emulation monster. Primarily for PCSX2 and Dolphin. Has AMD closed the gap for this sort of application with Ryzen or am I still better served with intel?

I've done emulation on a fairly low-mid range PC back in 2010-2011 and even back then Dolphin and PCSX2 ran very respectably, pretty much any low to high end build today should do well.

Ghazi

Is this a good deal ?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-vi...&acampID=751a5cfa64f811e78c8c0640c0794e280INT

You can get a $125 off coupon if you register for bestbuy edu program (you don't even have to have a edu email), so the desktop will cost you $575 for an i7. You can add a video card and change the PSU and this will be a decent rig. What do you say ?

It doesn't have a discrete gpu and the i7 is not unlocked, so even for $600 it's not worth it in my opinion.

Ghazi

Really ? Ok, I will wait a bit more for the perfect deal lol

It's a bad time to be looking to get a PC right now, with gpu stock being low and prices inflated. You'd be better off skipping most of those pre builts and getting all the parts for yourself and building it by hand.

It's a bad time to be looking to get a PC right now, with gpu stock being low and prices inflated. You'd be better off skipping most of those pre builts and getting all the parts for yourself and building it by hand.

Is there any predictions when this gpu stock is going to be normalized ?

Top Bottom