• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Socreges

Banned
How can I verify if this MSI 1070 video card is compatible with this build? Or rather, how can I confirm that this card (which is compatible) is effectively the same as the one linked above? There seem to be subtle differences in the products, but maybe that's unimportant. Without being able to find the former on partpicker, it's hard for me to say

1050 Ti I suppose
Just ordered a Gigabyte 1050 Ti --- though now I'm wondering if I should just go with the 1070 above...

OK found a comparison:

The EK X (as opposed to the X, which is definitely compatible) has slightly different dimensions, another pin connector, and 3 modes

*shrug*

How can I verify if this MSI 1070 video card is compatible with this build? Or rather, how can I confirm that this card (which is compatible) is effectively the same as the one linked above? There seem to be subtle differences in the products, but maybe that's unimportant. Without being able to find the former on partpicker, it's hard for me to say

Just ordered a Gigabyte 1050 Ti --- though now I'm wondering if I should just go with the 1070 above...

OK found a comparison:

The EK X (as opposed to the X, which is definitely compatible) has slightly different dimensions, another pin connector, and 3 modes

*shrug*

All modern video cards use PCI Express, which all modern motherboards have. GPU compatibility is not a problem nowadays (I think I remember when both PCI and AGP were being sold around the same time?).

Though that Seahawk needs to be watercooled, so you'd need additional junk for that (whereas the other one is air cooled).

Socreges

Banned
All modern video cards use PCI Express, which all modern motherboards have. GPU compatibility is not a problem nowadays (I think I remember when both PCI and AGP were being sold around the same time?).

Though that Seahawk needs to be watercooled, so you'd need additional junk for that (whereas the other one is air cooled).
Gotcha, thanks

Think I'll just live with the 1050 Ti to start and get a feel for things. I'm not desperate to play demanding games at the highest settings anyhow. Then once video cards come down in price again, I'll upgrade

Jafku

Gotcha, thanks

Think I'll just live with the 1050 Ti to start and get a feel for things. I'm not desperate to play demanding games at the highest settings anyhow. Then once video cards come down in price again, I'll upgrade

To be clear I just recommended the 1050 Ti as a low cost video card to hold you over. As for the video cards above yeah one has a waterblock installed so you would need additional parts in order to cool it.

Socreges

Banned
To be clear I just recommended the 1050 Ti as a low cost video card to hold you over. As for the video cards above yeah one has a waterblock installed so you would need additional parts in order to cool it.
Yeah for sure, that's the idea. Appreciated

Bloodember

Even though I'm super nervous about AIO coolers and it leaking into my case (I know it's rare, but it's still possible). Is the Kraken x62 or H100vi better? And is the warranty better with corsair or NZXT in the case of leaks?

Both companies will replace any parts that get ruined by a leaky AIO. Leaky AIO's are very rare, I've been using them for 7-10 years and haven't had any issues.

cyborg009

Banned
OK, you need to run that when you are playing a game and see if the 12v rail acts up. It may or may not show any signs of problems when there is no load on the PSU.

checked last night and it does seems like the 12V and 5V fluctuate between the Min and max when I play a game. I don't feel like it should drop to the minimum while playing a game.

kmfdmpig

Even though I'm super nervous about AIO coolers and it leaking into my case (I know it's rare, but it's still possible). Is the Kraken x62 or H100vi better? And is the warranty better with corsair or NZXT in the case of leaks?

They're very comparable. The H100v2 is similar to the old h100 GTX. In some reviews the GTX comes out slightly ahead, but in others the Kraken does. The comparison is not a great one as they're different sizes (240 vs. 280 for the Kraken). The better comparable Corsair cooler would be the h110 or h115.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nzxt_kraken_62_review,11.html
http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2662-nzxt-kraken-x52-x62-x42-review-and-benchmarks-noise-temp

Comparisons of several 280 coolers are here:
http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2788-evga-clc-280-review-vs-nzxt-x62-corsair-h115i/page-3

I've heard that all of the major reputable brands will take care of leak related issues.

RS4-

The problem with the Kraken is that you're paying for the aesthetics.

The x62 is a 280mm rad, the h100 is a 240, the h110 is a 280. As for the warranty, depends on where you live. If it's in the US, neither is a problem. I'm not certain if you have to pay for the shipping if you have to send it back, or if it's covered.

edit - whoops, already covered by kmfdmpig. But anyway yeah, there's like a $50 difference between the nzxt and the corsairs.

Not an AIO but an actual loop, the EKWB A240 is about the same price as the kraken. The A240G also has a GPU waterblock but that only works for 10xx Founders Editions. Personally, I wouldn't go for this unless you're really thinking about actual water cooling; this just gets you in the door for a very cheap price due to the aluminium rather than the usual copper/nickel.

Thanks for the quick reply! gonna go with Valley because I like the name more and know nothing about the differences (nor particularly care... just need a standard to test both cards).

3dmark is also free, download the stand alone demo not the one from steam for faster loading.

Branson

They're very comparable. The H100v2 is similar to the old h100 GTX. In some reviews the GTX comes out slightly ahead, but in others the Kraken does. The comparison is not a great one as they're different sizes (240 vs. 280 for the Kraken). The better comparable Corsair cooler would be the h110 or h115.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/nzxt_kraken_62_review,11.html
http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2662-nzxt-kraken-x52-x62-x42-review-and-benchmarks-noise-temp

Comparisons of several 280 coolers are here:
http://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/2788-evga-clc-280-review-vs-nzxt-x62-corsair-h115i/page-3

I've heard that all of the major reputable brands will take care of leak related issues.

Both companies will replace any parts that get ruined by a leaky AIO. Leaky AIO's are very rare, I've been using them for 7-10 years and haven't had any issues.

1050 Ti I suppose

I was like you and paranoid about aio. I ended up getting the H100i V2 since it was on sale. Hasn't leaked yet and word of mouth states if it does leak corsair will replace the damaged parts. Have no idea if that is true. I couldn't afford the X62. The H100i V2 keeps my 7700K decently cooled so i'm satisfied

The problem with the Kraken is that you're paying for the aesthetics.

The x62 is a 280mm rad, the h100 is a 240, the h110 is a 280. As for the warranty, depends on where you live. If it's in the US, neither is a problem. I'm not certain if you have to pay for the shipping if you have to send it back, or if it's covered.

edit - whoops, already covered by kmfdmpig. But anyway yeah, there's like a $50 difference between the nzxt and the corsairs.

Not an AIO but an actual loop, the EKWB A240 is about the same price as the kraken. The A240G also has a GPU waterblock but that only works for 10xx Founders Editions. Personally, I wouldn't go for this unless you're really thinking about actual water cooling; this just gets you in the door for a very cheap price due to the aluminium rather than the usual copper/nickel.

Oh wow thanks guys. I have a NZXT case that just came in so I was thinking about getting the cooler with it since, if I can pull the trigger and get the 7700k, it will probably need the better cooling of an AIO. I'll check some of those out I forgot the two coolers were different. Good to know they are similar in warranty and such. For some reason I didn't think NZXT was as good as corsair since I haven't heard of them until recently.

TGMIII

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor (£323.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£74.99 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard (£79.88 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£123.60 @ Aria PC)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£135.00 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£39.95 @ Aria PC)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GAMING X Video Card (£649.99)
Case: Corsair - Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case (£74.99 @ Aria PC)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£100.82)
Total: £1602.22

I've been holding out forever but this is my current thoughts. Only thing holding me back right now is possibly waiting on Coffe-Lake to see how it pans out and I'm not sure about the Carbide 400C.

Any thoughts?

Rizzi

I have freesync enabled on both the monitor, and in the radeon settings and still get tearing.
It just doesn't work.

I've been holding out forever but this is my current thoughts. Only thing holding me back right now is possibly waiting on Coffe-Lake to see how it pans out and I'm not sure about the Carbide 400C.

Any thoughts?

Are you planning to go the OC route? Because if so you could also just use the 1700 and save some money. Its OC capabalities are pretty much the same as the 1700X (maybe 100-200 Mhz less).
The PC Mate is a decent mainboard, but keep in mind that it only has 4 SATA connectors - might not be an issue at all unless you have lots of SATA drives - and MSI AM4 mainboards right now DON'T have an offset mode for OC. So you are stuck with either a fixed Vcore (I do that right now) or the automatic mode which will give you quite high voltages, though.
I have the same RAM and it works just fine at 2933 Mhz with the newest Beta Bios (/w a R5 1600 in my case).

The PSU is way too large for this kind of build (and you can't SLI on this board). Go with ~600W.

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Is this a good one? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BE058W/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I aklso contacted EVGA since my power supply is still and warranty and they told me my power supply is perfectly fine.

Anything here looks funny?

Yep that is a good PSU. I have the 750W G2 and it is fantastic!

How long are the shortages of the RX 480/580 and GTX 1060/1070s suppose to last?

i don't think there is an exact date. just need to wait for amd/nvidia to produce enough to satisfy both miners and consumers. eventually it'll become really difficult for the average person to mine the coins. could take weeks or months. i'm not following it too closely so don't really know exactly.

So, guys, my PC died because of the HDD and now I'm going to get a new motherboard, RAM and processor. I've looked at the chart in the OT and at some benchmarks online, I'd like to know which you think woukd be better: an i5-7600k or the Ryzen R5 1600 3.2 Ghz. Mostly for 1080p gaming and for Photoshop related stuff. The MoBo would probably be a GB Z270 HD3P.

Any advice is welcome, thanks.

Smokey

Oh wow thanks guys. I have a NZXT case that just came in so I was thinking about getting the cooler with it since, if I can pull the trigger and get the 7700k, it will probably need the better cooling of an AIO. I'll check some of those out I forgot the two coolers were different. Good to know they are similar in warranty and such. For some reason I didn't think NZXT was as good as corsair since I haven't heard of them until recently.

Have used Corsair AIOs since I started my first build in 2011. From the H80 to H100. Earlier this year I switched to the Kraken x62. The cooling performance is generally around the same between the Corsair AIO and the Kraken, however the latter is the best looking AIO on the market. That's where any price difference comes from. If you're getting a window case and care about aesthetics, I can definitely recommend the Kraken. If you don't care about that, go with the best deal you can find on either.

FYI the Kraken x52 is a 240mm radiator and is $20 cheaper tha the x62, which is a 280mm radiator.

Yep that is a good PSU. I have the 750W G2 and it is fantastic!

i don't think there is an exact date. just need to wait for amd/nvidia to produce enough to satisfy both miners and consumers. eventually it'll become really difficult for the average person to mine the coins. could take weeks or months. i'm not following it too closely so don't really know exactly.

yeah, I will hold off on building my first gaming PC because of the gaming PC

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
for gaming purposes only, which one should I get:

Ryzen R5 1600 or intel I5-7600K? they are similar in price

Or do you recommend something else?

Did you want to overclock? Because that is a price hike on intel's motherboards' side of things.

Ryzen 5 1600 is such a good bang for the buck right now with better future proofing imo, one of the best CPU for enthusiast builds.

fps : right now the 7600k might have the edge, much higher heat output though and higher TDP.. but the 1600 is running at maybe 50% CPU usage.

Did you want to overclock? Because that is a price hike on intel's motherboards' side of things.

Ryzen 5 1600 is such a good bang for the buck right now with better future proofing.

fps : right now the 7600k might have the edge, much higher heat output though and higher TDP.. but the 1600 is running at maybe 50% CPU usage.

cool, so it seems ryzen is better bang for the buck. thanks

Jeff6851

for gaming purposes only, which one should I get:

Ryzen R5 1600 or intel I5-7600K? they are similar in price

Or do you recommend something else?

I'd go with Ryzen because it has more cores. The new i5s and i7s from Intel will have 8+ threads so games will probably start to take more advantage of that in a few years.

Swig_

What about a 1700 vs 7700K? (Is this the correct comparable Ryzen to the 7700K?)

I'm trying to decide which to buy. This is for a Node 202 build I'm working on.

kmfdmpig

What about a 1700 vs 7700K? (Is this the correct comparable Ryzen to the 7700K?)

It's hard to say. If you want the better gaming performance now then go with the 7700k.
If you want the potential for better gaming performance down the road (if more games utilize additional cores well) then get the 1700. If you use applications that thrive with multi-core then get the 1700. You probably can't go wrong with any.

One other option, which would be more expensive, would be to get a 7740k now as that will give you an upgrade path if many-core takes off over the next few years.

Swig_

It's hard to say. If you want the better gaming performance now then go with the 7700k.
If you want the potential for better gaming performance down the road (if more games utilize additional cores well) then get the 1700. If you use applications that thrive with multi-core then get the 1700. You probably can't go wrong with any.

One other option, which would be more expensive, would be to get a 7740k now as that will give you an upgrade path if many-core takes off over the next few years.

Interesting.. I'm more interesting in being more prepared for the future and it seems like performance is similar between the two in current games. I think the Ryzen might be a better choice, then.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member

I purchased all my parts for a node 202 in the past 2 weeks, receiving the ryzen mobo this week because it started to be on shelves last friday.

Anyway, pure gaming SSF i'm guessing?

Node 202 is not known for superb cooling, kind of expected for a small form factor case right? Did you have the node 202 with included PSU @ 450W too?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-1700-cpu-review,5009-8.html

Take a good look at the gaming loops for power consumptions but more importantly, temperature. 55.8 for 1700 vs 74.2 for 7700k.

7700k is king of gaming performance right now (outside i9 i guess? did not follow X299 platform) but, for a node 202, i'm not too sure that should be your main focus.

Also like mentioned above, future proofing is better on ryzen, the 1700 has a looootttt of room for future multithreaded games.

I'm just taking this from a thread I made, in preparation for possible prime day deals (someone suggested I ask here):

I desperately need some quieter fans in my system, the current CPU heat sink fan I have is like a jet engine. It's so bad, I can't run rendering projects over night anymore because it makes it harder to sleep. For the record, the heat sink sounds like a jet engine all times of the day regardless of the operations being performed. So here are my questions:

What would be some good quiet fans?
Will they support temperature monitoring (my current ones just have little potentiometer [read: dials] to change the speed) to change their speeds automatically as necessary?

Do I need to buy a whole new heat sink setup to replace its fan?

What would be a good price for the suggested fan if I was getting it on sale? (I'm not expecting "Black Friday $100 for a 750GB solid state" level deals, but hopefully something good.)

Lastly.
I've often seen these Corsair liquid coolers, that are supposed to be really simple to use. Are they any good?
I'm capable of setting up more complex setups, (I have built PCs, but never with liquid cooling) if you have a recommendation for liquid cooling at a good price I wouldn't mind that as well.

Thanks for your help!

Edit: some extra info:

Fan speed is controlled via a knob attached to a short cable attached to the fan. Too short to reach from the outside. It is a thermaltake, not OEM.

System is clean, heatsink is mounted properly.

holysan

Nice, got a used MSI GTX 1080 from amazon.frs warehouse deals for 410€ with PRIME.

Praying that I don't get gargabe in a few days 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

Gotta invest the saved money into a larger SSD.

Any thoughts?

I mean if you're going to wait for Coffee Lake you might as well forget all those parts for now.

Don't get an EVGA G2 PSU. The G3 is available and owners of G2s have reported them being loud on Amazon, Newegg and official EVGA forums.

I mean if you're going to wait for Coffee Lake you might as well forget all those parts for now.

Don't get an EVGA G2 PSU. The G3 is available and owners of G2s have reported them being loud on Amazon, Newegg and official EVGA forums.

I've had good luck with G2 PSUs. I think I've had three or four of them for different builds.

I've had good luck with G2 PSUs. I think I've had three or four of them for different builds.

I've heard the same in this thread. Either way don't see the point of getting a G2 with the G3 out.

I'm just taking this from a thread I made, in preparation for possible prime day deals (someone suggested I ask here):

I desperately need some quieter fans in my system, the current CPU heat sink fan I have is like a jet engine. It's so bad, I can't run rendering projects over night anymore because it makes it harder to sleep. For the record, the heat sink sounds like a jet engine all times of the day regardless of the operations being performed. So here are my questions:

Noctua and Phantek make some great, quiet fans. If your heatsink takes any in a certain size look into those.

Otherwise I'd scrap the entire thing and get an All-In-One (aka AIO) like you mentioned.Just make sure you've got the room for the radiator/fan/s. Corsair makes good ones but I'm out of the AIO loop so people may have other recommendations.

I've heard the same in this thread. Either way don't see the point of getting a G2 with the G3 out.

Noctua and Phantek make some great, quiet fans. If your heatsink takes any in a certain size look into those.

Otherwise I'd scrap the entire thing and get an All-In-One (aka AIO) like you mentioned.Just make sure you've got the room for the radiator/fan/s. Corsair makes good ones but I'm out of the AIO loop so people may have other recommendations.

I concur. The last PSU I bought was a G3. :)

sleepnaught

Interesting.. I'm more interesting in being more prepared for the future and it seems like performance is similar between the two in current games. I think the Ryzen might be a better choice, then.

If you're okay with the performance difference in games between the two, 1700 seems like an easy choice. But I wouldnt bet on multithreaded game support down the road anytime soon. How long have we been waiting on that now? By the time it becomes the norm for games to fully support that, both the 1700 and 7700k will be probably be obsolete. I'd pick whichever performs best for your needs now instead of a CPU that may lack in some games and likely will never have a chance to shine in those multithreaded games.

kuYuri

if I get Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti will the DDR3-2400 and i7 4770k face any bottleneck ?

4k 60 fps ?

No bottlenecks. Some games on Ultra can give the 1080 Ti a workout at 4K (Ghost Recon Wildlands, Deus Ex: MD, etc.) but it's still one of the best cards for that.

Skinpop

Any thoughts on my pc build?

CPU: i7 7700k
COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
MOBO: ASROCK z270 Extreme4
GPU: GTX 1060 or 1070, I haven't decided yet.
MEMORY: 2x8GBCorsair DDR4 Vengeance 2666 mhz
SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB BarraCuda 7200rpm
PSU: CoolerMaster 80PLUS GOLD 550W Semi-modular
CASE: ENERMAX Gravito

Additionally I'm going to spend around 600 on two 1440 screens, not sure on what to get yet.

I've always used the stock cooler in previous builds, and I will not OC so I have no idea if the cooler is a good fit for my needs. Is the mobo appropriate?

kmfdmpig

CPU: i7 7700k
COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
MOBO: ASROCK z270 Extreme4
GPU: GTX 1060 or 1070, I haven't decided yet.
MEMORY: 2x8GBCorsair DDR4 Vengeance 2666 mhz
SSD: Crucial MX300 525GB
HDD: Seagate 1TB BarraCuda 7200rpm
PSU: CoolerMaster 80PLUS GOLD 550W Semi-modular
CASE: ENERMAX Gravito

Additionally I'm going to spend around 600 on two 1440 screens, not sure on what to get yet.

I've always used the stock cooler in previous builds, and I will not OC so I have no idea if the cooler is a good fit for my needs. Is the mobo appropriate?

Get a better cooler (either an AIO or if you go with air cooling go for one in the OP) even if you're not planning on overclocking at this time.

For 1440 aim for the 1070 if you can financially swing it.

CPU: ryzen 5 1600
MOBO: GA-Ab 350 gaming
GPU: GTX 1060 or 1070, 580 radeon I haven't decided yet.
MEMORY: 2x8GB ripjaw V series DDR4 3000
SSD: sandisk ultra II 240gb
HD: WD blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
CASE:Corsair - 100R Silent ATX Mid Tower Case

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/yQjqnn

my goal is mainly gaming, not sure if I would be able to accomplish 4k gaming. what do you guys say?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Going for a Ryzen build but don't know which mobo to get

I'm between the ASRock Taichi and the Gigabyte Gaming 5/K7, and tbh I was leaning toward the Gigabyte because of dual BIOS until I heard of the Gigabytes having a softbrick issue which Gigabyte still hasn't fixed

Is the single BIOS on the Taichi ok? Usually I'd think stuff like this is just marketing but with the amount of updates on these things due to the new platform pains the dual BIOS did seem like a decent selling point

If you are looking to build a pc on a budget now is the time.

If you have Amazon Prime there is 20% off all warehouse items. I managed to pick up a ryzen 1700 for just £210.

It wasn't there when I looked originally so I got a 1700x instead for £245 and a cooler but then the 1700 popped up and I got that instead for a healthy saving.

Skinpop

Get a better cooler (either an AIO or if you go with air cooling go for one in the OP) even if you're not planning on overclocking at this time.

For 1440 aim for the 1070 if you can financially swing it.

Thanks, just to double check, the heatsink you are referring to is Cryorig H7?

I will primarily use the pc for programming as well as some 2d-3d work, while I do game quite a bit it's mostly less demanding games so I'm not worried about maxing out the latest AAA games. Do you still think 1060 is insufficient? With gpus being so expensive now I thought I'd go for the cheaper option and upgrade next year, but I really want 1440p for the increased workspace...

FHIZ

Getting closer and closer to being able to put together my build, just need a case, keyboard/mouse and a mass storage drive (waiting for Prime day to see if there's any deals). Looking at my box of parts, it's increasingly becoming harder and harder to be patient.

Here's a random question, so the Xbox One wireless controller adapter allows you to use headsets wired into the controller correct? Could you conceivably use that for chat while using the keyboard and mouse? Cord lengths going to the couch are going to be a problem for me, so if that's an easier solution than buying a good wireless headset, than I'd much rather do that.

Top Bottom