• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

greelay

Hi PC Gaf my brother got me this motherboard Asus B85M-G R2.0 Micro ATX LGA1150
i was wondering can i put a gtx 1070 or a gtx 1080

my specs are
cpu: i5 4670k 3.4Ghz i put turbo boost on 3.8Ghz
cpu cooler: H60
ram: DDR3 8GB
psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B1, 80+ BRONZE 750W

i'm going to upgrade the cpu later on :)

You can put either of those cards on that mobo. The one limiting factor would be length of the gpu relative to the case. One other thing is that is one of the best cpus available for that socket so you are probably not going to upgrade the cpu without doing a rebuild.

Any suggestions for making a dust filter for my case? The bottom didn't come with a filter for the open slots and since my graphics card pulls air from the bottom of my case, I fear for dust. Any good solutions? I have a Thermaltake Core V21 if that matters.

I see sticker filters, but I want something that can be removed and cleaner. Those seem one-time use.

Drakhoran

Neo Member
Wait, what's a limitation of DVI? I'm asking if DVI can send a 4K signal or if I need Displayport or something else?

DVI is by now a quite old standard. As I recall a dual link DVI port can provide enough bandwith for a 4k display but only at 30Hz. For 4k/60Hz you need HDMI 2.0 or Displayport 1.2. (HDMI 1.4 can also do 4k/30Hz)

Anyone got an opinion on the best 1050ti available in terms of noise level... need it v.quiet and nvidia seem to be a bit better in general on that side over AMD plus price hikes on AMD are just ridiculous. I don't need a 1060 atm this is just a main a work rig I have get set up.

NM: went with the MSI 1050 ti Gaming X. seems the quietest of the lot.

Should I bite? Mate is selling an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW (8GB) for about 580USD. Retail price is 730USD. I'll see if I can push it down to 510USD but 550USD is more realistic.

I have an RX480 8GB which I can sell for aboht 360USD (maybe a bit more).

I have a Fractal 550W for my PSU. I only have one 24" monitor but will add a 27" eventually. I suppose the issue will be that I'll lose access to FreeSync monitors but to be honest I never really noticed it.

kuYuri

Should I bite? Mate is selling an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW (8GB) for about 580USD. Retail price is 730USD. I'll see if I can push it down to 510USD but 550USD is more realistic.

I have a Fractal 550W for my PSU. I only have one 24" monitor but will add a 27" eventually. I suppose the issue will be that I'll lose access to FreeSync monitors but to be honest I never really noticed it.

Do you mean 1080 Ti FTW3? There's no way a 1080 FTW should be anywhere nice that retail price. Should be less than $600 MSRP.

TheExodu5

Banned
Holy shit.

If you have a Corsair H series water cooler...throw out the fan(s) asap. One of my fans was dying (bearing started clicking) and I decided to replace them both.

Got the Be Quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm fans. Wow!

Temps went down by 15-20 degrees under load and noise went down considerably. I had to run the Corsairs at 600-800RPM max to not hear awful humming coming from the fans. These ones are nearly whisper quiet at 1000RPM. Replaced my Phanteks 140mm fan too while I was at it, and the Be Quiet! is significantly quieter at higher speeds as well...perhaps the anti-vibration mount helped there.

Really impressed with Be Quiet! I think I've found my favorite fans.

Unfortunately the loudest thing in my PC now is my 200mm Phanteks intake, which I can't change. :( Don't think my case can take 2x 140mm intakes. If it did, I'd switch it out in a heartbeat.

edit: correct - the fans are actually running at 300RPM and cooling better than the Corsairs did at 800RPM. But even at 1000RPM they're quite quiet.

kuYuri

Not Ti.

I live in Oceania region so everything is more expensive than usual. I included the retail price for reference.

Ooh, gotcha. In that case, if your local currency translates to around the MSRP, or less in this case since you're buying it from a friend, then go for it. 1080 is a great card. Be wary though that 1080 FTW I believe still suffer from an overheating flaw. It was a big controversy and EVGA's reputation suffered. They had to release a new set of cards, including a FTW2 to try to make up for it. Just hope that card doesn't have that flaw.

TheExodu5

Banned
Brought my 200mm Phanteks down to lowest speed since the cooler is able to handle it just fine now.

Now the only thing I can hear in my PC is the damned H110i pump (even on low). :(

Last time I go water cooling. Can't beat the silence of an air cooled build.

coopolon

Shoot. Got a microATX case for the Ryzen microATX mobo. Then decided I wanted to put the ryzen in my tower so it can have more HDDs installed and move the CPU in the tower to the new case. Except it's an ATX mobo in the tower, not mATX.

:(

Gotta return the mATX case and take the $15 loss from Amazon. Doh!

And now my Ryzen is in a super old tower from 2008 with no modern features: no cable management, no tool-less drive bays, etc.

Socreges

Banned
So I've now got my Ryzen 7. Holy shit it's tiny. I guess I should have known given the powerful processors that cell phones have

Should have all the pieces by Monday. Then begins the tragedy of Socreges trying to build his first PC

Brought my 200mm Phanteks down to lowest speed since the cooler is able to handle it just fine now.

Now the only thing I can hear in my PC is the damned H110i pump (even on low). :(

Yeah, I've always been very hesitant to give up air for just how quiet it is at idle. Now if I could get an AIO without a crap pump I'd be much more interested. Unfortunately there's really only one game in town for AIO (Asetek).

so is there any idea when the videocard prices will drop again after that bitcoin mining bump? are we talking weeks or months?

Ethereum, not bitcoin, and It's already dying. Probably still 1-2 months for the retail chain to stabilize and get back to normal though.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Ethereum, not bitcoin, and It's already dying. Probably still 1-2 months for the retail chain to stabilize and get back to normal though.

I hope you're right. The impact on mid-range graphics cards has really thrown a wrench in my PC building plans.

Kaby Lake is LGA 1151 right?

What is the codename for the new i7/i9s? I just threw together a build with a 1151 mobo because I currently have a skylake i5 and don't want to buy a new CPU. Curious what I'd need for Intel's next chipset as I might try AMD.

Based on other benches I've found those numbers cannot be right for a total system TDP especially if said system has a GPU.

http://www.relaxedtech.com/reviews/amd/ryzen-7-1700/ryzen-7-1700-power-consumption.png
ryzen-7-1700-power-consumption.png

As for the rest I still see no reason not to go with a higher end PSU especially with how power hungry future GPU's like Vega are looking to possibly be.

That's load with 3D Mark Firestrike. Of course it's gonna have higher power consumption (whatever GPU is in there will be on full load)..

The reason for going lower is price and efficiency. The reason for going higher is... there is none. The mainboard can't do SLI, just about any single chip GPU will work with the 500W PSU...

I was just talking about this yesterday on here. The more I read on it, the more one found that air cooling is very comparable to water for noise if not quieter, but usually costs less. Water can ultimately provide lower temperatures however which is great for a high overclock.

Kaby Lake is LGA 1151 right?

What is the codename for the new i7/i9s? I just threw together a build with a 1151 mobo because I currently have a skylake i5 and don't want to buy a new CPU. Curious what I'd need for Intel's next chipset as I might try AMD.

Skylake-X and Kabylake-X. The chipset is X299, and is on a 2066 CPU socket. So no, your current CPU will not fit. If you have a skylake i5 you're going to largely be fine for gaming performance (though on the 1151 mobo, is it a 100 series or 200 series?), with your GPU more of an immediate bottleneck at 60 fps. The new i9s for the extreme high end crowd anyway, so no point looking at them as replacements.

I think I'm all set for my new build/upgrade.

CPU: R5 1600
Mobo: ASROCK B350 mATX
Case: Thermaltake V21
RAM: 2x4Gb 3000mhz Cosair Vengeance

All in all it'll cost around £400.
Would've liked to go all white with an Air 240 case, white RAM and a white motherboard, but after comparing the prices I just couldn't commit to it.

I'll be reusing my old hard drive and PSU to save some money, GPU too since that's relatively new.

I think I'm all set for my new build/upgrade.

CPU: R5 1600
Mobo: ASROCK B350 mATX
Case: Thermaltake V21
RAM: 2x4Gb 3000mhz Cosair Vengeance

All in all it'll cost around £400.
Would've liked to go all white with an Air 240 case, white RAM and a white motherboard, but after comparing the prices I just couldn't commit to it.

I'll be reusing my old hard drive and PSU to save some money, GPU too since that's relatively new.

Solid build. Make sure the RAM you pick is on the QVL for your motherboard and it'll make RAM overclocking smoother. Also update your motherboard's BIOS to the most recent release first thing. You'll be good to go.

luffeN

Would a GTX 1060 be wasted on an i3-6100 3.7 GHz duo core with HT? I currently have a GTX 1050 and play at 1920x1080. Games: PUBG and Rocket League.

Would a GTX 1060 be wasted on an i3-6100 3.7 GHz duo core with HT? I currently have a GTX 1050 and play at 1920x1080. Games: PUBG and Rocket League.

Wasted? No. Bottlenecked on CPU intensive games? Yes. Stuff like Hitman would give it hell, stuff like Rocket League should be perfectly fine.

It's hard to decide if a monitor upgrade is worth it. On a 1080p 60hz monitor right now.

The problem is, it's hard to decide what to get: 1440p vs 4K, Gsync vs no Gsync, 144hz vs 60hz, etc. I mean, if money was no object, I guess it's obvious that 4K/Gsync/144Hz is the way to go, but I'd prefer to not spend more than $500 on a monitor... which I think puts me around the 1440p/no Gsync/144Hz price range, right? I guess adding Gsync on top of that pushes it to the $650+ range at least?

On the other hand, my local shop has an open box S2817QR from Dell that's a 4K/60hz/no Gsync, so if I wanted to go the 4K route, I could do it for $300.

TheExodu5

Banned
My H110i is completely fucked.

Reinstalled new fans as my old ones were dying and the PC was overheating. Temps are lower now, but even with no overclock, I'm pushing 100C under Prime 95 (blend) load.

Gonna try reseatting and applying thermal paste, but I'm guessing the loop is fucked.

Seriously, last time I go watercooling.

Reinstalled new fans as my old ones were dying and the PC was overheating. Temps are lower now, but even with no overclock, I'm pushing 100C under Prime 95 (blend) load.

Gonna try reseatting and applying thermal paste, but I'm guessing the loop is fucked.

I'll take those SilentWings off of you for cheap =D

But for real, definitely remove the heat sink, clean off all the thermal paste, reapply thermal paste, and see how it goes. Prime 95 blend isn't even the hottest test (that would be Small FTT I think), so that's definitely wrong/bad. Are the pumps still pumping?

bomblord1

Banned
That's load with 3D Mark Firestrike. Of course it's gonna have higher power consumption (whatever GPU is in there will be on full load)..

The reason for going lower is price and efficiency. The reason for going higher is... there is none. The mainboard can't do SLI, just about any single chip GPU will work with the 500W PSU...

You're right it's going to have higher consumption at full load but I'm not sure how that's relevant to the fact the TDP for the system is way higher than those super low ball initial numbers you threw out. You're also right that pretty much any single GPU will work at 500W (Pro Duo not withstanding).

However, you're going to run more efficiently or with the exact same efficiency under load with a 650W PSU. A full load is not going be below 20% of a 650W PSU. On top of that you're also are going to leave room for upgrades down the line should you ever decided to do something like add a second GPU. The reason going higher is it's a minimal uptick in price (like $10) for upgrade ability and running more/the same efficiency under a gaming load which should be the main use of a gaming PC.

e90Mark

Hit the pump with a hammer too. Sounds like it's not even working.

TheExodu5

Banned
I'll take those SilentWings off of you for cheap =D

But for real, definitely remove the heat sink, clean off all the thermal paste, reapply thermal paste, and see how it goes. Prime 95 blend isn't even the hottest test (that would be Small FTT I think), so that's definitely wrong/bad. Are the pumps still pumping?

Pump is still working. If I change the speed in Corsair Link I can hear it audibly change. Problem is, the heat isn't being pulled to the rad. I put my hand on the rad while stress testing and it doesn't even get warm. So it's either a contact issue, leak, or broken pump, I guess.

Also, noticing an issue with my Gigabyte GTX 1070. It makes a clicking noise when going from idle fans to low RPM. And it keeps going on/off/on/off constantly, making clicking and shuddering sounds every few seconds. Need to just keep it at low RPM and not have the fans turn off to avoid the issue.

Hopfrog

It's hard to decide if a monitor upgrade is worth it. On a 1080p 60hz monitor right now.

The problem is, it's hard to decide what to get: 1440p vs 4K, Gsync vs no Gsync, 144hz vs 60hz, etc. I mean, if money was no object, I guess it's obvious that 4K/Gsync/144Hz is the way to go, but I'd prefer to not spend more than $500 on a monitor... which I think puts me around the 1440p/no Gsync/144Hz price range, right? I guess adding Gsync on top of that pushes it to the $650+ range at least?

On the other hand, my local shop has an open box S2817QR from Dell that's a 4K/60hz/no Gsync, so if I wanted to go the 4K route, I could do it for $300.

The Dell S2716DG can regularly be found on sale for less than $500. 1440p, 144 Hz, and G-Sync. Only downside is that it is a TN panel, but it seems to get good reviews from what I have seen. Was thinking about it myself for my next monitor upgrade but I think I might just go all out and get the ASUS ROG Swift 1440p IPS since my current monitor is a budget 1080p and I plan on keeping the new one for a number of years.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

1440p is so worth it. I snagged a 144hz 1440p Gsync monitor on sale for around $450 and I noticed improvements over 1080p immediately. And I didn't have to sacrifice high framerates either.

I wouldn't recommend the 4k 60hz monitor. You'll either lag (vsync) or tear (no vsync) without a lot of tweaking, and maybe even after.

Guess you'll find out!

As someone mentioned it should be fine depending on temps. What are you seeing on load and have you stress tested?

85c is max core temp ive gotten. I ran aida for 2 hours, ran cinebench for like 10 times in a row and played a couple of hours of bf1. Not sure if thats enough but thats all I had available.

Pump is still working. If I change the speed in Corsair Link I can hear it audibly change. Problem is, the heat isn't being pulled to the rad. I put my hand on the rad while stress testing and it doesn't even get warm. So it's either a contact issue, leak, or broken pump, I guess.

Also, noticing an issue with my Gigabyte GTX 1070. It makes a clicking noise when going from idle fans to low RPM. And it keeps going on/off/on/off constantly, making clicking and shuddering sounds every few seconds. Need to just keep it at low RPM and not have the fans turn off to avoid the issue.

If your H100 is under warranty and re-seating/reapplying thermal paste doesn't help, RMA it. Same for that 1070.

The Dell S2716DG can regularly be found on sale for less than $500. 1440p, 144 Hz, and G-Sync. Only downside is that it is a TN panel, but it seems to get good reviews from what I have seen. Was thinking about it myself for my next monitor upgrade but I think I might just go all out and get the ASUS ROG Swift 1440p IPS since my current monitor is a budget 1080p and I plan on keeping the new one for a number of years.

1440p is so worth it. I snagged a 144hz 1440p Gsync monitor on sale for around $450 and I noticed improvements over 1080p immediately. And I didn't have to sacrifice high framerates either.

I wouldn't recommend the 4k 60hz monitor. You'll either lag (vsync) or tear (no vsync) without a lot of tweaking, and maybe even after.

Thanks all. I'll keep an eye out for that S2716DG I think. Really appreciate it.

Smokey

Fwiw, my Kraken x62 is noticeably quieter than the Corsair AIO units I had. My H100i was making a bunch of noise and I thought it was going out. Went out and got the H115 and the noise was still there. Annoyed, I took that back and decided to give the NZXT Kraken a try. First time I went away from Corsair AIOs since I started building. I threw some Corsair ML140 Pros on the radiator and haven't looked back. It feels like a more premium product to me, and the noise issues that I described above were gone. Performance and aesthetics are great.

Just a question- when overclocking and trying to get a good ghz and voltage ratio, when you get the BSOD is it harmful to the pc at all?

BSOD is basically a defense mechanism and means your computer knows it crashed. They're not a big deal (well, in this context).

Potential damage when playing with voltage/power can be separate but also unlikely assuming you're not doing anything nonsensical like giving a component more juice after a crash instead of less. I trust you're not :)

You have an atypical situation. There may be something wrong with your pump, though I've never used a H110i.

Anyway, AIOs typically provide better cooling and noise levels.

Custom loops are much closer to truly silent and beat the crap out of both AIOs and air. So, literally everything else beats the "silence" of an air cooled build.

JWiLL

Banned

Which FTW is it? If it's one of the first gen FTW 3 cards it may have the thermal pad issues, which I would be concerned about. That said, EVGA will send you free thermal pads but not everyone will want to risk adding those.

I have one of the new FTW 2 iCX 1080s and it has proper thermal pads, and even faster memory than the first gen ones which is a nice bonus.

I would confirm what model it is before you bite, but I'd probably still recommend it either way. 1080 will be a huge boost over your current 480.

kuYuri

For me, it was worth it. Literal game changer for me.

I had the Acer XB270HU, which is the same as the Dell but with an IPS panel.

AtlAntA

Fwiw, my Kraken x62 is noticeably quieter than the Corsair AIO units I had. My H100i was making a bunch of noise and I thought it was going out. Went out and got the H115 and the noise was still there. Annoyed, I took that back and decided to give the NZXT Kraken a try. First time I went away from Corsair AIOs since I started building. I threw some Corsair ML140 Pros on the radiator and haven't looked back. It feels like a more premium product to me, and the noise issues that I described above were gone. Performance and aesthetics are great.

Are those corsair fans much quieter then the stock fans? Imho the stock fans nzxt supplies are a bit loud. Also do you know any performance differences between the two?

For me, it was worth it. Literal game changer for me.

I had the Acer XB270HU, which is the same as the Dell but with an IPS panel.

Y'all making me want to trip, fall, and land on a monitor I swear I don't know how it got there it just ended up on my desktop.

Anyway, an unrelated question: new BIOS is out for my motherboard (MSI B350M Gaming Pro). However, it seems to mainly be RAM-related... but my sticks already run at 1.35V at 2933 MHz and are super stable.

Any reason I should mess with a BIOS update at this point? My RAM isn't even on the QVL for my mobo, but I mean, if it works it works. I'm afraid messing with it will just mess something up.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Received every pieces for my mini ITX ryzen build EXCEPT the goddamn Cryorig C7 bracket for AM4, they shipped but not here.

Is it even possible (and without problem) to boot the PC without the heatsink? If no gaming/benchmark, or really really not recommended?

Edit : i guess not from a quick look. The wait is atrocious :(

Top Bottom