• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

I'm so torn...Ive built 3 PC's virtually on the interwebs, one with a ryzen 5 1600x another with a i7-7700k and another with a i7-7800x. I know currently the 7700k is best for gaming, which i will be using this pc mostly for, but if I go with the 7800x I sacrifice gaming performance for future upgradability. The ryzen 5 is just a slower processor, not bad really but I would rather get the next iteration as I feel it will clock better.

So building all these systems with all items I want they are all between $40 of each other. Can anyone help me out here? I will be pairing the CPU with a 1080 ti btw. The PC with be used heavily with VR.

kmfdmpig

I'm so torn...Ive built 3 PC's virtually on the interwebs, one with a ryzen 5 1600x another with a i7-7700k and another with a i7-7800x. I know currently the 7700k is best for gaming, which i will be using this pc mostly for, but if I go with the 7800x I sacrifice gaming performance for future upgradability. The ryzen 5 is just a slower processor, not bad really but I would rather get the next iteration as I feel it will clock better.

So building all these systems with all items I want they are all between $40 of each other. Can anyone help me out here? I will be pairing the CPU with a 1080 ti btw. The PC with be used heavily with VR.

I personally went 7700k (to paid with a 1080ti), but I did so before the 7800x was out. I think I'd at least consider the likelihood of upgrading the CPU and that would give the edge to the 7800x, although if gaming is your primary purpose I'm not sure how soon any of those CPUs will be a problem that would necessitate an upgrade.

I personally went 7700k (to paid with a 1080ti), but I did so before the 7800x was out. I think I'd at least consider the likelihood of upgrading the CPU and that would give the edge to the 7800x, although if gaming is your primary purpose I'm not sure how soon any of those CPUs will be a problem that would necessitate an upgrade.

I've watched countless videos on the 7700k vs 7800x and the 7700k always wins even if clock speed is matched. i figure if i just get the 7700k now by the time i would need 6+ cores it would be time for an upgrade anyway.

I think this is the build I'm going to go with: link

I know, its pre built, I have more money than time...

Oh and PCGamer also did a high end build a couple weeks ago and they still recommend the 7700k: link

Socreges

Banned
Any clue where I can find decently priced gtx 1080 that isn't affected by the mining thing.
1080s haven't been mined as much as the 1060s and 1070s, I think. But if it has.....you'd have to get lucky to find a lower price

Btw I walked into NCIX earlier and asked for the guys opinion on when they may go back down in price. Got the most patronizing response imaginable but kept talking and he ended up being a good guy. I guess Master Race folk can't help themselves sometimes

EVGA Supernova G3 750W or Corsair RM750i? Or anything better in this range? I would love some input on this.

I'll not use SLI or anything weird until I upgrade to an R7 1700 and a mid to high-end GPU later. It will just replace a PSU that's unreliable in the heat.

I'd lean EVGA because I've had very good experiences with G2 PSUs and a couple G3s. I'm sure the RM is good too, but that is what I would do.

Geist-

Why are geforce cards so expensive right now? My card is fried and 10 series cards are all sold out constantly, or $50 more expensive than they were 6 months ago. Did something happen?

Edit: Looked up a few posts, looks like cards are being bought up for mining rigs. What a shitty time to have a card failure.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ok confused now. Woke up this morning and my switch seems fine - Xbox and hue bridge connect fine. I was just about to go out and get a replacement

Is it possible it's getting flaky? I always figured switches were pretty much indestructible (I think I have a netgear gs108)

nightmare-slain

Gold Member
Why are geforce cards so expensive right now? My card is fried and 10 series cards are all sold out constantly, or $50 more expensive than they were 6 months ago. Did something happen?

Edit: Looked up a few posts, looks like cards are being bought up for mining rigs. What a shitty time to have a card failure.

yep mining. i think it's 1070 and 1080s they are after. i think actually amd's cards are better but they are all sold out too so they are going for nvidia too.

EVGA Supernova G3 750W or Corsair RM750i? Or anything better in this range? I would love some input on this.

I'll not use SLI or anything weird until I upgrade to an R7 1700 and a mid to high-end GPU later. It will just replace a PSU that's unreliable in the heat.

i highly recommend the EVGA. i have the G2 model and it's excellent.

Urthor

X299 will only last one more CPU gen, not much upgradeability there.

This. CPU sockets pretty much have zero upgradability, plus buying a new CPU every few years is an inefficient use of your money. Save the money and go for a 7700 and put it towards a 1080ti

brawly

I'm about to pull the trigger on a pre-built PC. I know, I know, I should build it myself. I've already done that twice and the price is good, so fuck it.

I've kinda sworn off PC gaming but I do miss the indies, emulators and steam library. FPS games never feel right with a controller for me either. Editing videos on a laptop sucks aswell.

Some of the specs (pre-built, so the finer details are unknown):

- nVidia GeForce GTX 1060, 6GB
- AMD Ryzen 7 1700X
- 16Gb RAM
- 256Gb SSD
- 1TB HDD

The HDD seems low but I don't really hoard games (tend to delete them after finishing them) and managed just fine with 100GB space on my laptop for months, so I'll be fine.

Today was my lucky day. I had decided to wait and today there was a $200 discount for a better model (only 10 in stock).

Now I got:

- nVidia GeForce GTX 1060, 6GB
- AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
- 16Gb RAM
- 256Gb SSD
- 2TB HDD

For a $100 less than the model in the quote. Sometimes waiting pays off.

Guffers

I've recently ordered a 4K monitor but currently am only running a 4670k @ 4.2 and a gtx 780. I realise I need to buy a new card to really make use of this.

Would I be insane to buy a 1080 ti? To upgrade my CPU I'll need an all new mother board. The max fps I'll be shooting for will be 60 so I'm not sure exactly how bottle necked the 4670k would be in this case.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated guys. You're all much more knowledgable than me.

mhayze

Ugh. Looking at building a new PC and the DDR4 RAM prices are worse than ever. Quad channel on a X299 or Threadripper costs way too much IMHO. Cellphone companies need to move on to LPDDR5 or something and leave the DDR4 for us poor PC DIYers :)

(Edit)
I've recently ordered a 4K monitor but currently am only running a 4670k @ 4.2 and a gtx 780. I realise I need to buy a new card to really make use of this.

Would I be insane to buy a 1080 ti? To upgrade my CPU I'll need an all new mother board. The max fps I'll be shooting for will be 60 so I'm not sure exactly how bottle necked the 4670k would be in this case.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated guys. You're all much more knowledgable than me.

4670k should be fine with a 1080ti for most games in the next year or two. I'm still running a OC 2600k with my 1080, and it's generally been fine although it would help me a little and I need the upgrade for other reasons (motherboard is on the fritz)

kuYuri

Nothing insane about it. It's your best choice for wanting to play at 4K.

My EVGA Superclocked 1070 is running into issues today. Played Dark Souls III and experienced random frame drops (anywhere from 2-44fps).
I booted up GPU-Z to see what might be the issue and it seems the card keeps running into VRel (voltage reliability) issues. This causes the card to suddenly downclock from ~1950Mhz to ~200Mhz.

Any ideas?

Never had issues before and temps are all fine. Here's a snap of what's happening (though these graphs have been much more dramatic usually)

6fq.png

kmfdmpig

I've watched countless videos on the 7700k vs 7800x and the 7700k always wins even if clock speed is matched. i figure if i just get the 7700k now by the time i would need 6+ cores it would be time for an upgrade anyway.

I think this is the build I'm going to go with: link

I know, its pre built, I have more money than time...

Oh and PCGamer also did a high end build a couple weeks ago and they still recommend the 7700k: link

I thought about going CyberPowerPC as well, but decided against it. By default they'll save where they can, typically on PSU and SSD. One alternate option could be to try to find a builder in your area and then buy your own parts and pay him/her to build it. I was able to find someone who only charged $40, but there were others in the $100 or so range. It'll likely still come out a bit cheaper than most prebuilts and let you nail down exactly what you want.

horkrux

Übermatik;243605464 said:
My EVGA Superclocked 1070 is running into issues today. Played Dark Souls III and experienced random frame drops (anywhere from 2-44fps).
I booted up GPU-Z to see what might be the issue and it seems the card keeps running into VRel (voltage reliability) issues. This causes the card to suddenly downclock from ~1950Mhz to ~200Mhz.

Any ideas?

Never had issues before and temps are all fine. Here's a snap of what's happening (though these graphs have been much more dramatic usually)

6fq.png

VRel itself is normal. It just means that your card could clock higher if you gave it more voltage.
Does it happen in other games too? I remember DS3 being really funky at times with lots of stuttering and second-long freezes at launch. Maybe some of those problems are still present?

VRel itself is normal. It just means that your card could clock higher if you gave it more voltage.
Does it happen in other games too? I remember DS3 being really funky at times with lots of stuttering and second-long freezes at launch. Maybe some of those problems are still present?

It's only just occurred today whilst playing DSIII - hasn't occurred before in game, nor in others - few rounds of PUBG, Ultra settings earlier and things were absolutely fine.

I'll keep an eye on things, it's just that GPU-z was detecting sudden down-clocks like int he image above, which led me to believe it was a hardware issue - but I guess that's not strictly the only conclusion.

holysan

How important is an expensive PSU?

I have a low budget one from bequiet for 4 years now and don't have problems with my new setup (7700k + gtx1080) for now.

The only annoying thing is that it's not modular. But otherwise, can it break something or is it ok as long as it works?

Bloodember

How important is an expensive PSU?

I have a low budget one from bequiet for 4 years now and don't have problems with my new setup (7700k + gtx1080) for now.

The only annoying thing is that it's not modular. But otherwise, can it break something or is it ok as long as it works?

The cost of a psu doesn't matter, it's the quality of the psu, and yours is fine. You should be good for awhile. I normally change my PSU's every 5 years though.

Gamble

Oof.

Do you like it? Kinda big.

Considering the normal cost of the case and the space it provides I'm fine with it, I planned to order a new computer desk so I just have to make sure it's large enough to comfortably fit this monster.....and make sure I'm sober when I do it.....

Amazon finally dispatched most of my parts, they're set for Tuesday. Just waiting on the motherboard and case to dispatch now.

Had some reconsiderations though. Mainly that I'm thinking of buying a new PSU, SSD and and HDD. Basically going into a fully new build.
Mainly since I've had my 1TB HDD since 2009 and I could possibly sell my old PC while for about £150-200.

Speaking of which, anybody want a PC with an i5 2320, 560Ti, 800w PSU (non modular), 8Gb DDR3? Ha

FUCK. Put the guts from my old machine into a new case and got things connected - powers up for a second and dies. After tests with different PSU and everything imaginable, looks like the mobo is shot. Hadn't used it in a while but thought it was ok.

Found another Maximus IV Gene-Z for $190 from China. CPU is 2600k so options are limited and I need mATX + onboard graphics.

Could go for a newer mATX board and CPU combo but wasn't planning to spend this much since this is just going to be a server.

Annoying.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I hope I don't get laughed out of the thread for this, but does anyone know where I could get a very cheap Radeon HD 6450 (full size, not low profile)? I honestly don't PC game much, but I'm tired of being stuck with Intel HD 2000 shit. Really all I want is something that can play the Euro Truck/American Truck games better than I currently can (50% scaling is getting unbearable). I've only got a 300w PSU and upgrading that is kinda out of the question at the moment (I'm on disability, therefore my budget for this sort of thing is very small), and the 6450 is the best thing I can find that can easily run on 300w.

kuYuri

I hope I don't get laughed out of the thread for this, but does anyone know where I could get a very cheap Radeon HD 6450 (full size, not low profile)? I honestly don't PC game much, but I'm tired of being stuck with Intel HD 2000 shit. Really all I want is something that can play the Euro Truck/American Truck games better than I currently can (50% scaling is getting unbearable). I've only got a 300w PSU and upgrading that is kinda out of the question at the moment (I'm on disability, therefore my budget for this sort of thing is very small), and the 6450 is the best thing I can find that can easily run on 300w.

eBay maybe? Also, why no low profile?

You can even get something like a GTX 1050 or 750 Ti which requires no cables from your power supply and are better than the 6450.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
eBay maybe? Also, why no low profile?

You can even get something like a GTX 1050 which requires no cable from your power supply.

Yeah, that 1050 is definitely out of the question, just looking at the price, haha. I'm talking like sub-$50 here. I can't even remember the last time I had $150 to spend at one time.

And I suppose the "no low-profile" thing is just my ignorance showing. Could something like that be used in a full-sized case? I honestly don't know very much about low-profile.

kmfdmpig

Used Low Profile on ebay ranges from 15-20 USD.
Newegg and Walmart seem to have the cheapest new versions:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/ASUS-EAH...75035&wl11=online&wl12=16904529&wl13=&veh=sem

http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop...acd=12309152537501410&VEN3=870903914993110558

Yes, low profile just means it's physically smaller. The power/compatibility will be the same.

The Geforce 1030 would be the closest new card to your budget, but it would be about $68-70 unless there's a sale. It's dramatically faster, however, and would provide a noticeable benefit over the HD6450, so I'd recommend either trying to save for the 1030 or buying the 6450 used (buying new would be a waste, IMO).

The best price I found for a 1030 would be Jet.com ($70 - 15% coupon = 59.50). If you're not in a major rush you might wait until there's a rebate/sale on that. The PSU and budget constrains your options for GPU, but you'll be able to get something better than the integrated graphics either way.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
The Geforce 1030 would be the closest new card to your budget, but it would be about $68-70 unless there's a sale. It's dramatically faster, however, and would provide a noticeable benefit over the HD6450, so I'd recommend either trying to save for the 1030 or buying the 6450 used (buying new would be a waste, IMO).

Oh damn, that 1030 looks NICE. I guess I'll wait a bit until I can afford it and grab that instead. Thanks!

EDIT: Wait, shit. My monitor's also old as hell and only supports DVI. That could be a problem. Hm.

kmfdmpig

Oh damn, that 1030 looks NICE. I guess I'll wait a bit until I can afford it and grab that instead. Thanks!

EDIT: Wait, shit. My monitor's also old as hell and only supports DVI. That could be a problem. Hm.

No problem, good luck!
You can get cables or adapters that will convert displayport or HDMI to DVI for 3-10, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

Top Bottom