• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

EL CUCO

So I've been using Windows 10 without a key for a little over a month now. Am I missing out on any features other than not having the watermark on the bottom right corner?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
One more reason I'd recommend holding off until you can get the better card - the HD6450 seems like only a marginal upgrade over the integrated Intel graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6LQCcER5Q0

It's better, but not dramatically so.

Oh, yeah, I'm definitely holding off now. Somehow in my Googling for "best gpu 300w", the 1030 never came up (though it being so new probably explains that). Super glad I posted in here or I'd likely never have known about it.

Socreges

Banned

Skinpop

Where are you finding 980 Tis for 1060 prices?

I didn't :)
I found some decently priced used 980ti's on yahoo auction, but I've decided to hold off for a week or two. Looks like ether has crashed so I'm still hoping for a good deal on a 1060 or 1070.

I hope I don't get laughed out of the thread for this, but does anyone know where I could get a very cheap Radeon HD 6450 (full size, not low profile)? I honestly don't PC game much, but I'm tired of being stuck with Intel HD 2000 shit. Really all I want is something that can play the Euro Truck/American Truck games better than I currently can (50% scaling is getting unbearable). I've only got a 300w PSU and upgrading that is kinda out of the question at the moment (I'm on disability, therefore my budget for this sort of thing is very small), and the 6450 is the best thing I can find that can easily run on 300w.

Are you looking at the 6450 (or the 1030 in these later posts) because it would have enough power for your needs or only because of your PSU? If it's decent, you could probably easily fit sth. like a 1050 in there (~75W TDP).
To be sure, it'd help if you post the exact PSU model that you have.

Samaritan

Does anyone know of any Twitter accounts, a la Wario64, who just tweet PC part deals and restocks? I'm building a PC for my GF right now and want to put a 1060 6GB in it, but all of these fucking miners have driven the price for these cards so high that I'm having to check a dozen different sites every few hours and it's getting a bit exhausting lol.

kuYuri

Does anyone know of any Twitter accounts, a la Wario64, who just tweet PC part deals and restocks? I'm building a PC for my GF right now and want to put a 1060 6GB in it, but all of these fucking miners have driven the price for these cards so high that I'm having to check a dozen different sites every few hours and it's getting a bit exhausting lol.

You can sign up for a site like nowinstock.net and set alerts for when certain parts come in stock.

kmfdmpig

I don't, but I found pcpartspicker and slickdeals to be quite helpful when looking for good prices.

Pachael

Why are geforce cards so expensive right now? My card is fried and 10 series cards are all sold out constantly, or $50 more expensive than they were 6 months ago. Did something happen?

Edit: Looked up a few posts, looks like cards are being bought up for mining rigs. What a shitty time to have a card failure.

I'm looking for a GPU and so far the outlook on Vega is like MvC:Infinite aka almost dead, so I expect the 10 series card prices to hold or go back up.

My Ryzen 1600 came today along with the RAM. My Motherboard was running late af, I cancelled my order with Amazon and ordered an Asrock AB350M Pro4 from Scan instead of the Asus one I was originally going to get.

Hoping the case comes tomorrow too.

Edit: Case is listed for delivery on the 24th now, I can't catch a break.
Decided to go all in anyway and make this a completely new build. Ordered a 500w PSU, 250gb SSD, and a 120mm case fan.

Full cost is now, erm, about £530ish I think.

derder

Anyone have recommendations for a headphone stand for the office? I want it to be subtle and understated - simply a headphone stand that functions as a headphone stand

guys I have never used an ssd before and considering getting the 960 evo 250gb M.2 for my first build... and then later getting an 850 evo sata...

is getting an M.2 a good idea? Just thinking of putting my OS and couple other things in it

EL CUCO

r/buildapcsales is a good place to follow

Skinpop

guys I have never used an ssd before and considering getting the 960 evo 250gb M.2 for my first build... and then later getting an 850 evo sata...

is getting an M.2 a good idea? Just thinking of putting my OS and couple other things in it

I've been reading up on nvme, m.2 and so on. seems it's a waste and you are better off investing in a bigger sata SSD unless you don't have space in your case or plan to do heavy video editing. Virtually no benefit when gaming for example. Not sure why nvme is recommended in OP when all info I can find on the matter advise against buying unless you have special needs...

kennah

I've been reading up on nvme, m.2 and so on. seems it's a waste and you are better off investing in a bigger sata SSD unless you don't have space in your case or plan to do heavy video editing. Virtually no benefit when gaming for example. Not sure why nvme is recommended in OP when all info I can find on the matter advise against buying unless you have special needs...

It's pretty, cleans up the case, no cables everywhere, doesn't cost that much more. You don't have to get the super fastest fastest of the m2 drives.

Thorgal

i have a pretty noobish question .

is it possible to have sound from 2 devices come out of the same pair of headphones ?

for instance i would like to have the sound coming from my pc while playing a game while at the same time i can listen to something else on my phone both through my headphones at the same time .

F34R

Trying to save money is killing me! I wanna build a new pc (still have my 4770/gtx770) and it's going to run me close to 3k to get a really nice 1440p setup for a nice g-sync panel.

Running a 1080p system that's aging:
i7-4770
GTX770
16GB RAM

Going to:
i7-7700K
GTX1080ti
32GB RAM
1440p 165hz IPS 27" monitor
512GB SSD

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nfn3D8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Nfn3D8/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($308.87 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair - H100i v2 70.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($199.00 @ B&H)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 960 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: SanDisk - Ultra II 960GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($263.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Zotac - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB AMP Extreme Video Card ($759.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($139.49 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Asus - PG279Q ROG Swift 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor ($749.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $3136.29
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-17 13:40 EDT-0400

I really need to get this down a little bit.

Trying to save money is killing me! I wanna build a new pc (still have my 4770/gtx770) and it's going to run me close to 3k to get a really nice 1440p setup for a nice g-sync panel.

i7-4770
GTX770
16GB RAM

Going to:
i7-7700K
GTX1080ti
32GB RAM
512GB SSD

If you want to cut back, my suggestions would be:

Cut down to a 650 to 750w PSU.
Cut down to 16 GB of RAM.
Replace one of those SSDs for an HDD (slower, more storage, less money).
Save $200 by getting this monitor.

You could also look into used/open box/refurbished products.

i7-4770
GTX770
16GB RAM

Going to:
i7-7700K
GTX1080ti
32GB RAM
512GB SSD

Unless 120+fps is REALLY important to you, I'd suggest a 1070 for 1440p gaming (assuming it's 16:9 and not 21:9). And if that super high frame rate is essential for some reason, then I'd suggest waiting for the GTX 1170/2070/whatever they end up calling it for performance slightly higher than a 1080 Ti at less than half the price. Gsync monitors should also start dropping in price by then as they are becoming more common. Right now they charge through the roof for them just because it's a relatively rare feature. HDR is becoming the next over-priced feature in PC monitors. And curved screens...

I'm going through the same emotions as you are =P i7 2600k and a GTX 970 here, desperately trying to hold off for the next Nvidia GPUs and Coffee Lake / Zen+ to comfortably manage either 4K60fps 16:9 gaming or 1440p 120fps 21:9 gaming with strong future-proofing. Still undecided on monitor type...

F34R

If you want to cut back, my suggestions would be:

Cut down to a 650 to 750w PSU.
Cut down to 16 GB of RAM.
Replace one of those SSDs for an HDD (slower, more storage, less money).
Save $200 by getting this monitor.

You could also look into used/open box/refurbished products.
Yeah, I knocked down the ram to 16GB, changed mobo out for MSI Z270 Pro, and I'm considering the hdd. Not sure if I really need that 960 pro in there for gaming.

Unless 120+fps is REALLY important to you, I'd suggest a 1070 for 1440p gaming (assuming it's 16:9 and not 21:9). And if that super high frame rate is essential for some reason, then I'd suggest waiting for the GTX 1170/2070/whatever they end up calling it for performance slightly higher than a 1080 Ti at less than half the price. Gsync monitors should also start dropping in price by then as they are becoming more common. Right now they charge through the roof for them just because it's a relatively rare feature. HDR is becoming the next over-priced feature in PC monitors. And curved screens...

I'm going through the same emotions as you are =P i7 2600k and a GTX 970 here, desperately trying to hold off for the next Nvidia GPUs and Coffee Lake / Zen+ to comfortably manage either 4K60fps 16:9 gaming or 1440p 120fps 21:9 gaming with strong future-proofing. Still undecided on monitor type...
I'm jumping the fence back and forth between a few options. 1080ti, 1070, or wait for the next release. It's tiresome lol. Thought about the monitor price too, wait for a new release... or not? I swear. It used to be, see it, want it, buy it. Now I've grown up a little and research a little too much lol.

Bloodember

i7-4770
GTX770
16GB RAM

Going to:
i7-7700K
GTX1080ti
32GB RAM
512GB SSD

There's a lot you can change, first do you need that motherboard, if not lower to a cheaper z270, drop to 16gb of ram, lower your psu to a 550w, and change the monitor out to the Dell mentioned above, its a great monitor I use one myself. Also do you really need water cooling? You can save more by changing out to an air cooler. Lastly drop the m.2 to a 960 evo and drop the other to a hdd, unless you really want that ssd.

i7-4770
GTX770
16GB RAM

Going to:
i7-7700K
GTX1080ti
32GB RAM
512GB SSD

The 4770 is still a pretty good CPU. If you're trying to save money then stick with your current CPU (and therefore mobo, ram) and instead just get a new video card and an SSD.

F34R

There's a lot you can change, first do you need that motherboard, if not lower to a cheaper z270, drop to 16gb of ram, lower your psu to a 550w, and change the monitor out to the Dell mentioned above, its a great monitor I use one myself. Also do you really need water cooling? You can save more by changing out to an air cooler. Lastly drop the m.2 to a 960 evo and drop the other to a hdd, unless you really want that ssd.
Yep, those were mentioned, and as I'm looking over the list, I was thinking about those changes before reading the replies. I did knock it down to a 650w psu as well.

Chipmungus

Neo Member
i7-4770
GTX770
16GB RAM

Going to:
i7-7700K
GTX1080ti
32GB RAM
512GB SSD

As above, going from 4770 to 7700 is a complete and utter waste of money. I say get the 1080Ti, a fat SSD and overclock if you haven't already.

F34R

Here's where I a now:
PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/64jPqk
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/64jPqk/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($308.87 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($27.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: MSI - Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($109.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($148.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($319.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Windforce OC Video Card ($454.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($72.98 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte - GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($39.88 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: AOC - AG271QG 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor ($689.99 @ B&H)
Total: $2228.55
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-17 14:23 EDT-0400
\

kuYuri

The 4770 is still a pretty good CPU. If you're trying to save money then stick with your current CPU (and therefore mobo, ram) and instead just get a new video card and an SSD.

As above, going from 4770 to 7700 is a complete and utter waste of money. I say get the 1080Ti, a fat SSD and overclock if you haven't already.

Just get the SSD, monitor and 1080ti.

I'm with them. Don't bother with the other upgrades. Just get the video card, monitor, and SSD.

F34R

Well, saving money, sure, but to a degree of the best performance I can get.
The benefits of upgrading the cpu/ram aren't tangible?
Just get the SSD, monitor and 1080ti.

I'm with them. Don't bother with the other upgrades. Just get the video card, monitor, and SSD.
Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it a lot.

vector824

Would anyone recommend m.2? I was going Ssd but I believe they cost about the same and m.2 is faster right?

Depends on your motherboard. It's only significantly faster if you have an m.2 slot that supports NVMe protocol. I could go 960 EVO if that's the case.

Got my first 1440p/144Hz gsync monitor and a 1080Ti coming for my aging 1080p setup.

So pumped.

I'm still waffling about getting a 1440p/144Hz/Gsync to replace my old 1080p/60Hz. The cheapest I can find that is still a reputable brand is around $450, and I just don't feel like spending that right now. Probably going to hold out for a good deal later in the year or a nice refurb deal.

In the mean time, I'm trying to get Dynamic Super Resolution working for my 1080 Ti.

Massicot

So I'm thinking of getting new computer speakers. Right now I only have a little soundbar that clips to my monitor. It works pretty well but I'm wondering if I would benefit from something more...formal.

At the same time, going overboard with something like a 5.1 setup seems like something I can't convince myself that I need. I play most my games with headphones anyways. But not all the time.

Is there a great 2.1 system that people would recommend? Is a 5.1 system worth it?

Also, related. Anyone have a good rec for wireless headphones? I have Sennheiser 598s which I love...but I'm kinda over having the wire

I'm still waffling about getting a 1440p/144Hz/Gsync to replace my old 1080p/60Hz. The cheapest I can find that is still a reputable brand is around $450, and I just don't feel like spending that right now. Probably going to hold out for a good deal later in the year or a nice refurb deal.

In the mean time, I'm trying to get Dynamic Super Resolution working for my 1080 Ti.

I paid about that for the monitor. I figure with my i7 6700 I'll be set for another 2-3 years at least.

But yeah, it was a bit of a tough trigger pull with the monitor and 1080Ti. $1k upgrades...

Ah well, can't take it with you.

RS4-

So I'm thinking of getting new computer speakers. Right now I only have a little soundbar that clips to my monitor. It works pretty well but I'm wondering if I would benefit from something more...formal.

At the same time, going overboard with something like a 5.1 setup seems like something I can't convince myself that I need. I play most my games with headphones anyways. But not all the time.

Is there a great 2.1 system that people would recommend? Is a 5.1 system worth it?

Also, related. Anyone have a good rec for wireless headphones? I have Sennheiser 598s which I love...but I'm kinda over having the wire

Check the Swan m10 or the other 2.1 stuff they've got.

Zeusy

Yeah I would go for it. The 960 Pro costs more, but is slightly faster than the EVO. Put your OS on the M.2 and your boot time will be in the seconds. I have the 950 Pro and love it.

What about a cheaper m.2? Would it be slower? Or should I just save up for the pro?

vector824

What about a cheaper m.2? Would it be slower? Or should I just save up for the pro?

Difference would only be noticeable with big file transfers, so the EVO is probably fine. Any m.2 would be ok IF it supports NVMe protocol. Samsung is just a good go to brand.

Top Bottom