• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Quake1028

Doing some upgrades on my PC, am I going to need a new power supply?

Current PC
i5-2500K
ASUS Maximus V Gene
EVGA GTX 760
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB
SanDisk 128GB SSD
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Antec BP550 Plus
Windows 10 Pro

Upgrades
HIS R9 290 4GB
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB

According to this http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator my current system should be using a 600W PSU, so I don't even currently have "enough".

Bloodember

Well, saving money, sure, but to a degree of the best performance I can get.

The benefits of upgrading the cpu/ram aren't tangible?

Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it a lot.
If your dead set on upgrading your CPU, get a cyrorig h7 or something else, the 212 evo is old and not really that good for the 7700k as it runs hot.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I'm thinking of upgrading my speakers from Karmon to Audioengine. I'd be fine with what I have but it doesn't have headphone jacks.

Doing some upgrades on my PC, am I going to need a new power supply?

Current PC
i5-2500K
ASUS Maximus V Gene
EVGA GTX 760
G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB
SanDisk 128GB SSD
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
ASUS DRW-24B1ST
Antec BP550 Plus
Windows 10 Pro

Upgrades
HIS R9 290 4GB
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB

According to this http://images10.newegg.com/BizIntell/tool/psucalc/index.html?name=Power-Supply-Wattage-Calculator my current system should be using a 600W PSU, so I don't even currently have "enough".

Is it this one: http://store.antec.com/basiqseries/bp550-plus.html#accordion1

If so... probably works, but not a good idea in the long term imo. It can only deliver up to 444W on the 12V rails and it's probably very old by now. If it's 5+ years old, definitely get rid of it anyway.
Seems like it's a 2008 product going by first listing on geizhals.at (https://geizhals.eu/antec-basiq-bp550-plus-0761345-06550-4-a310729.html, Gelistet seit: 2008-01-29, 11:11)

But anyway, I definitely wouldn't recommend a 290, unless it's crazy cheap. It's an old ass GPU, the 4xx and 5xx line from AMD are way newer and way, way more power efficient.

Edit: Just btw. forget about these PSU calculators. They are shit. This one recommends you a freaking 600W PSU for a 760/i5-2500k system lol.

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me with my build a couple of pages back. I didn't get to update you guys at the time, but I built it a couple of weeks ago and it's amazing! I was totally hesitant that I can actually pull it off, but I honestly didn't have much trouble except for a couple of things that were solved with a quick YT video so thank you.

I do have one question regarding dual monitor displaying: I have a 27' Acer monitor that I want to use as my general web surfing/school work on and game on my LG C6 but my card only has 1 HDMI and 1 DVI. I tried to use the mobo HDMI in conjunction with my LG and it worked for a couple of minutes, and then my C6 just went to sleep while my Acer was still displaying.

Can I run a dual monitor set up with one graphics card? Or will I have to buy another GPU?

The card I have is a Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB .

Quake1028

Is it this one: http://store.antec.com/basiqseries/bp550-plus.html#accordion1

If so... probably works, but not a good idea in the long term imo. It can only deliver up to 444W on the 12V rails and it's probably very old by now. If it's 5+ years old, definitely get rid of it anyway.
Seems like it's a 2008 product going by first listing on geizhals.at (https://geizhals.eu/antec-basiq-bp550-plus-0761345-06550-4-a310729.html, Gelistet seit: 2008-01-29, 11:11)

But anyway, I definitely wouldn't recommend a 290, unless it's crazy cheap. It's an old ass GPU, the 4xx and 5xx line from AMD are way newer and way, way more power efficient.

Edit: Just btw. forget about these PSU calculators. They are shit. This one recommends you a freaking 600W PSU for a 760/i5-2500k system lol.

That's the right power supply. I've had it for just under 4 years.

cross-posting this from the laptop thread in case anyone here has advice (let me know if this isn't cool):

Heya folks. Looking into gaming laptops to fill a specific need

Everything I look at seems to have one major downside or two that has me feeling pretty undecided on what's the best option.

If anyone has one of these, let me know what you think please!

Razer Blade:

Pros: excellent form factor, portability, build quality, amazing keyboard

Cons: only a 1060, 1080p60 panels only, pretty expensive for the power it gives, limited storage options and slow storage

Alienware 13

Pros: amazing screen, build quality, speakers, cooling, supposedly good keyboard

Cons: big for a 13 inch, only 13 inches, 1060 and 7700HQ like the blade, a little ugly in places

Alienware 15 R3

Pros: pretty much the power I want (7820k with 1070), 120 Hz panel, build quality, speakers, cooling supposedly, good keyboard

Cons: big as hell, apparently poor contrast on the screen, lots of wasted space, a little ugly in places

Are there other major options I should be considering? Right now it's between the Blade and the Alienware 15 and it's basically a choice between portability + form factor or raw power.

I was also looking at the Asus ROG Zephyrus but its availability in EU is basically non-existent.

Bloodember

I wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped me with my build a couple of pages back. I didn't get to update you guys at the time, but I built it a couple of weeks ago and it's amazing! I was totally hesitant that I can actually pull it off, but I honestly didn't have much trouble except for a couple of things that were solved with a quick YT video so thank you.

I do have one question regarding dual monitor displaying: I have a 27' Acer monitor that I want to use as my general web surfing/school work on and game on my LG C6 but my card only has 1 HDMI and 1 DVI. I tried to use the mobo HDMI in conjunction with my LG and it worked for a couple of minutes, and then my C6 just went to sleep while my Acer was still displaying.

Can I run a dual monitor set up with one graphics card? Or will I have to buy another GPU?

The card I have is a Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB .
Just plug them both into the graphics card, you can run up to 4 monitors on one graphics card, in many cases.

Going to turn my 1080 Ti into a hybrid with a Kraken G12 + Corsair H90. Planning to top-mount my radiator as an exhaust in my Thermaltake Core V21 case. First time using any sort of liquid cooling. Any suggestions or advice before I get started? The trickiest part will be disassembling my 1080 Ti and attaching the G12/H90, but I'm pretty confident it'll work, and I'll go slow/take pictures along the way to make sure I know where all the damn screws came from.

e90Mark

Going to turn my 1080 Ti into a hybrid with a Kraken G12 + Corsair H90. Planning to top-mount my radiator as an exhaust in my Thermaltake Core V21 case. First time using any sort of liquid cooling. Any suggestions or advice before I get started? The trickiest part will be disassembling my 1080 Ti and attaching the G12/H90, but I'm pretty confident it'll work, and I'll go slow/take pictures along the way to make sure I know where all the damn screws came from.

Grab a mini gpu fan to 4 pin PWM adapter if you're gonna use the Kraken.

I've done the same to my 1080 with the H60(?). Is your card a reference sized card? I would look into the EVGA hybrid kit. Might be a little more straight forward.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I've been thinking a lot about what CPU I should buy for my computer, and I haven't come to any conclusions yet. I'm mostly deciding between a 1600X and various Intel offerings (ranging from the 7600 to 7700K). Things that matter to me are best value (performance/price), being relatively future-proof (5 years?), being energy efficient, being hassle-free (no heat issues), and being good for older games and new indies. I do not plan on overclocking at all.

On the one hand, the 1600X's 6 cores/12 threads seems like the best guarantee of handling future tasks well. I like that model because it's the highest clocked of the Ryzen series while still being relatively cheap, and I've read frequency is important. But I also read that the IPC of Intel's chips is still simply better, and that makes me think that Intel might be the best way to make sure I'm handling older and newer games best, as well as just having a smooth experience.

My computer will mostly be used for low-intensity stuff outside of games and potentially Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator) apps.

Although I'm sure I'll figure this out on my own eventually and I'm the one who must decide, any advice or input would be appreciated. (I'm very ignorant in this field.)

Grab a mini gpu fan to 4 pin PWM adapter if you're gonna use the Kraken.

I've done the same to my 1080 with the H60(?). Is your card a reference sized card? I would look into the EVGA hybrid kit. Might be a little more straight forward.

It's reference-sized, yeah; EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black Edition. Can you link me a mini GPU fan to 4-pin PWM adapter? I'm familiar with PWM adapters/4-pin connectors, etc, but not sure how "mini GPU" fits in there. I mean, I know the Kraken has a small fan in there, but I guess I don't know if there's a special connector I'd need for the purpose you're describing.

Duke 1080 is back in stock at newegg

tenor.gif

Hey all. I posted this on tech support gaf. Just posting it here as well so hopefully it will reach more knowledgeable people.

Is there a DIY fix for a motherboard that failed a BIOS update?

After flashing the BIOS in the UEFI, it said complete, then I click OK to restart the PC. Problem is, it got stuck on a black screen (Monitor went to sleep). Fans are spinning. No beeps. It was like that for a long time. Then I pressed and held the power button until the PC turned off.

Now, my PC won't boot anymore. The screen will say "no signal" then monitor will go to sleep, but the power light is still on and fans are still spinning. Another weird thing, even when PC is off, my keyboard still lights up, and ethernet also lights up flashing. As soon as I plug the power to the wall even without turning the PC on, keyboard and ethernet lights up. Mouse doesn't.

Motherboard is ASRock H270 Performance.

demon326

Hey all. I posted this on tech support gaf. Just posting it here as well so hopefully it will reach more knowledgeable people.

Is there a DIY fix for a motherboard that failed a BIOS update?

After flashing the BIOS in the UEFI, it said complete, then I click OK to restart the PC. Problem is, it got stuck on a black screen (Monitor went to sleep). Fans are spinning. No beeps. It was like that for a long time. Then I pressed and held the power button until the PC turned off.

Now, my PC won't boot anymore. The screen will say "no signal" then monitor will go to sleep, but the power light is still on and fans are still spinning. Another weird thing, even when PC is off, my keyboard still lights up, and ethernet also lights up flashing. As soon as I plug the power to the wall even without turning the PC on, keyboard and ethernet lights up. Mouse doesn't.

Motherboard is ASRock H270 Performance.

Try a bios reset(look in manual for cmos_clear pins) on mobo :)

Skinpop

Does this PSU look ok?
80Plus Platinum FSP AURUM Owltech
https://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%AA%E3%82%A6%E3%83%AB%E3%83%86%E3%83%83%E3%82%AF-PLATINUM%E5%8F%96%E5%BE%97-HASWELL%E5%AF%BE%E5%BF%9C-ATX%E9%9B%BB%E6%BA%90%E3%83%A6%E3%83%8B%E3%83%83%E3%83%88-PT-550M/dp/B00BAOTOGQ/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1500364009&sr=1-6&keywords=%E9%9B%BB%E6%BA%90+550w

(US Amazon)
I guess the brand is FSP, or is it Owltech?

It's pretty, cleans up the case, no cables everywhere, doesn't cost that much more. You don't have to get the super fastest fastest of the m2 drives.

I'll concede it makes more sense now that prices are cheaper.

Quick question, am I missing anything here?

I've got CPU, RAM, MoBo, PSU, SSD, case and thermal paste. That's everything right? I keep thinking I've forgot something integral.

My clock in windows keeps showing wrong times. Need to turn "auto time zone" on and off each time ton re sync it. It is basically that small battery? Couldn't be anything else?

That's the right power supply. I've had it for just under 4 years.

Well, I'd simply try it and see if it works. But again, can't really recommend the HD290. Make sure it's not some special model that comes with 2x8 Pin. Your PSU only has 1x6/8 Pin and 1x6 Pin (for good reasons I suspect).

kmfdmpig

That line seems to be fine:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fsp-aurum-92-650w-80-plus-platinum,3998.html

I've got CPU, RAM, MoBo, PSU, SSD, case and thermal paste. That's everything right? I keep thinking I've forgot something integral.

Do you have a cooler? You mentioned thermal paste, but not the cooler.
Does your case come with case fans (I imagine it does)?

kmfdmpig

Stock cooler with the R5 1600.
The case comes with a 200mm fan at the front and I ordered another 120mm fan for the back.

It sounds like you have everything covered in that case. OS would be the only other thing not mentioned, and I imagine you have that covered.

e90Mark

It's reference-sized, yeah; EVGA 1080 Ti SC Black Edition. Can you link me a mini GPU fan to 4-pin PWM adapter? I'm familiar with PWM adapters/4-pin connectors, etc, but not sure how "mini GPU" fits in there. I mean, I know the Kraken has a small fan in there, but I guess I don't know if there's a special connector I'd need for the purpose you're describing.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZKZEQA/?tag=neogaf0e-20

The Kraken's fan is a normal 4 pin fan. The blower fan is a different connector. You will need one of those if you're going to use the fan header on the GPU for the Kraken fan.

So idk much about computer building but am in the market for a new pc. I want a decent gaming pc, not breaking the bank for this or anything trying to keep the entire rig under $900. I think I've decided I'll buy a premade one and do some casual upgrades over time to learn more. This guy seems really good for the money. I figure this guy will last a few years and I can get new processor in a couple years to make her last a bit more, thoughts?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybertr...0-ti-1tb-hdd-blue/5844300.p?id=&skuId=5844300

Crash331

So just how much of a difference is going from a 2.5 inch SATA SSD to an M.2 PCIe SSD? Is it anywhere near like the leap from mechanical to SSD?

So idk much about computer building but am in the market for a new pc. I want a decent gaming pc, not breaking the bank for this or anything trying to keep the entire rig under $900. I think I've decided I'll buy a premade one and do some casual upgrades over time to learn more. This guy seems really good for the money. I figure this guy will last a few years and I can get new processor in a couple years to make her last a bit more, thoughts?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/cybertr...0-ti-1tb-hdd-blue/5844300.p?id=&skuId=5844300

My understanding is that Intel will be switching motherboard sockets relatively soon, meaning the motherboard you have in that PC (which is compatible with the i5-7400 CPU) won't be compatible with a modern CPU in a couple of years. If you want upgradeability in the CPU department, you might be better served to get an AMD Ryzen machine, as AMD's AM4 socket should still be in use through 2020 at least.

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Hey GAF, I have a friend who wants to buy a budget PC to play one game -- iracing. He also wants a cool tower. Any recommendations on a rig that is cheap, looks cool, and will run that game well? Budget is between 300-800.

The specs for iracing are....

Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10
64-bit Windows

Intel Core i3, i5, i7 or better or AMD Bulldozer or better
8 GB of RAM

NVidia GeForce 2xx series or better, 1GB+ dedicated video memory, AMD 5xxx series or better, 1GB+ dedicated video memory or better

Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4200+ or better, with 8GB of system RAM

10 GB of free disk space

Microphone optional, required for voice chat

Preferably I would want to suggest a PC that can run it on medium to high settings.

Thanks to all in advance!

I was thinking of recommending this one but I'm not quite sure how well it'll run it or if there's a better recommendation:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberPow...34359&wl11=online&wl12=46100751&wl13=&veh=sem

sikkinixx

Anyone have any small speaker suggestions? I only have a small desk and my monitor is wall mounted so I was hoping for something akin to the Dell AX510 soundbar (which I might just get as it hooks into my monitor). I say a Bose Solo thing at Costco, which is too expansive but a very compact size all things considered.

kmfdmpig

Hey GAF, I have a friend who wants to buy a budget PC to play one game -- iracing. He also wants a cool tower. Any recommendations on a rig that is cheap, looks cool, and will run that game well? Budget is between 300-800.

The specs for iracing are....

Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1, Windows 10
64-bit Windows

Intel Core i3, i5, i7 or better or AMD Bulldozer or better
8 GB of RAM

NVidia GeForce 2xx series or better, 1GB+ dedicated video memory, AMD 5xxx series or better, 1GB+ dedicated video memory or better

Integrated Intel HD Graphics 4200+ or better, with 8GB of system RAM

10 GB of free disk space

Microphone optional, required for voice chat

Preferably I would want to suggest a PC that can run it on medium to high settings.

Thanks to all in advance!

I was thinking of recommending this one but I'm not quite sure how well it'll run it or if there's a better recommendation:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberPow...34359&wl11=online&wl12=46100751&wl13=&veh=sem

I'd recommend either of the bottom two options from this page. Performance wise they'll be much better, although the looks may be a bit too plain for his tastes.
http://www.microcenter.com/site/brands/powerspec.aspx

dcx4610

Anyone tried one of those aluminum mouse pads? How is the tracking for gaming? I have a Corsair Polaris and while the surface is nice, the rainbow show is annoying and the electronic piece gets in the way of the cord. I want something different.

Just plug them both into the graphics card, you can run up to 4 monitors on one graphics card, in many cases.

I just plugged both in right now into the graphics card and I can only have one display on at a time. For example, if the DVI port is being used by my monitor than the TV won't display anything but if I have the HDMI plugged into the graphics card and the monitor is off, then the display will be on the TV and not the monitor.

If this is the best I can get it right now then that's fine, but being able to use both the monitor and the TV at the same time would be ideal for me.

kmfdmpig

I just plugged both in right now into the graphics card and I can only have one display on at a time. For example, if the DVI port is being used by my monitor than the TV won't display anything but if I have the HDMI plugged into the graphics card and the monitor is off, then the display will be on the TV and not the monitor.

If this is the best I can get it right now then that's fine, but being able to use both the monitor and the TV at the same time would be ideal for me.

Did you right click a blank spot on the desktop and tinker with the multiple displays section? Sometimes you need to do that to enable multiple displays and how they are handled. You should be able to set them as either extended desktop (so each can have their own content) or mirrored (so the same content is diplayed on both at the same time).

Top Bottom