• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Samaritan

I understand your hesitation, especially with the concept of gambling on the future.
For what it's worth, some games have already received optimizations for Ryzen CPUs like Dota 2, Rise of the Tomb Raider and Ashes of the Singularity.
Although I wouldn't expect many games that have already released to receive optimizations, unless they're being constantly updated like Dota 2 is.

Games have been taking advantage of 4+ cores/threads in CPUs, especially Intel CPUs although perhaps not fully.
Interestingly Ryzen's gaming performance is a bit odd considering the CPU power that is available, it seems optimizations need to be geared towards the CPUs themselves, not just the number of cores/threads they have which is why some games got optimizations for those CPUs.

Here are some examples of the CPU core scaling that can be seen on Intel CPUs.

Battlefield 1

Source - PC Games Hardware

Assassin's Creed Syndicate

Source (PC Games Hardware)

In Digital Foundry's testing you can see the i7 7700K distancing itself from the i7 7600K.

Digital Foundry - i7 7700K Review

Unfortunately I can't say for certain how Ryzen's gaming performance will be in the future, the best thing to work with is the performance we can see now and the gaming performance of today shows that the i5 7600K outperforms the Ryzen CPUs in the majority of games, however they both appear to be capable of delivering 60 fps in most games, even with the 1600x being underutilized.

I guess you have to decide if you're happy with it's performance in today's games, if you are then performance gains in the future as it is better utilized would be a plus.

I'm not sure if you've already seen this but Paul runs some benchmarks and his video provides a pretty good look at the performance of the Ryzen 5 CPUs against the 7600K.

RYZEN 5 REVIEW! 1500X + 1600X Gaming Benchmarks vs 7600K - Paul's Hardware

Holy hell, thank you for this write-up. The performance differential I'm noticing between Intel and Ryzen isn't so extreme in favor of Intel that they're the clear choice for gaming, and the non-gaming applications of Ryzen speak for themselves. The benchmarks you've collected present a compelling argument for Ryzen as well.

Do you have any resources you can point me in the direction of for acclimating myself to the quirks and differences I can expect on a modern AMD processor as an Intel user, if I decide to go that route? Stuff like UEFI differences, things I need to know when shopping for a motherboard/memory, and general terminology differences between the two ecosystems. These are the real hang-ups for me when it comes to considering a Ryzen build.

Ganondolf

What's the best way to lock the frame rate? I have my htpc (gpu coming Friday) connected to my living room tv and only need it to do 60fps.

I also heard that some games have screen tearing if you lock it to 60fps and its better to lock it to 70-75 to limit this, is this true?

Baleoce

I'm looking at a couple of motherboards at the moment (ASRock Z270 Pro4 and Gigabyte Z270Mx Gaming 5) and I notice they both mention Thunderbolt 3 AIC Support. Does that just mean they can support it if you get a Thunderbolt expansion card, or is there native thunderbolt on it?

I'm asking because at some point down the line I want to buy an apollo twin thunderbolt audio interface.

kuYuri

I'm looking at a couple of motherboards at the moment (ASRock Z270 Pro4 and Gigabyte Z270Mx Gaming 5) and I notice they both mention Thunderbolt 3 AIC Support. Does that just mean they can support it if you get a Thunderbolt expansion card, or is there native thunderbolt on it?

I'm asking because at some point down the line I want to buy an apollo twin thunderbolt audio interface.

Thunderbolt expansion card, hence Thunderbolt 3 AIC (Add In Card).

I don't know of any motherboards that have native Thunderbolt support, and if one exists, it's not going to be cheap. That would typically be reserved for $400+ motherboards.

Baleoce

Thunderbolt expansion card, hence Thunderbolt 3 AIC (Add In Card).

I don't know of any motherboards that have native Thunderbolt support, and if one exists, it's not going to be cheap. That would typically be reserved for $400+ motherboards.

Aah that's what it stands for. That clears it up. Many thanks!

kuYuri

Aah that's what it stands for. That clears it up. Many thanks!

You're welcome!

Also, I did a search and it seems I was wrong about Thunderbolt 3 support. Gigabyte has a mobo that costs around $230 that has native support, the Z270X Gaming 7. There are others as well, but this is the most budget one I found.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-128-963

Perhaps native Thunderbolt 3 support has become more of a thing with them this gen.

Samaritan

Put together a Ryzen version of the rig I was shopping around in the last page. How does this look?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600X 3.6GHz 6-Core Processor ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($34.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-AB350-GAMING 3 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($77.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($129.99)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($83.69 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card ($304.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S TEMPERED GLASS ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor ($84.99)
Total: $1168.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-07-19 09:07 EDT-0400

kuYuri

Put together a Ryzen version of the rig I was shopping around one page ago. But I'm having trouble finding a cooler for the AM4 socket type. It seems like nearly nothing is compatible with it, but that can't be right... right? What're Ryzen owners using for air cooling?

Most manufacturers offer an AM4 bracket with their popular coolers for AMD builds, including the Cryorig H7 that was recommended earlier. Typically the manufacturer has to be contacted and they will send it for free.

Samaritan

Most manufacturers offer an AM4 bracket with their popular coolers for AMD builds, including the Cryorig H7 that was recommended earlier. Typically the manufacturer has to be contacted and they will send it for free.

Interesting; thanks for clearing that up for me!

Renekton

Put together a Ryzen version of the rig I was shopping around one page ago. But I'm having trouble finding a cooler for the AM4 socket type. It seems like nearly nothing is compatible with it, but that can't be right... right? What're Ryzen owners using for air cooling?
They use the bundled stock cooler which is good for up to 3.8

B-Dex

Was almost ready to buy my parts for my new build finally and then every single video card is out of stock and backordered.

Thanks miners.

So i'm going to make a new Pc, i'm going for the i7700k setup in the first page. The only thing i won't be able to afford is a new video card i was thinking of getting a 1080 ti but currently won't hve enough for it since i'm doing a full upgrade. So for a while i would be stuck with the CURRENT gpu i own which is a 560 ti lol. Will that video card cause any problems?

Holy hell, thank you for this write-up. The performance differential I'm noticing between Intel and Ryzen isn't so extreme in favor of Intel that they're the clear choice for gaming, and the non-gaming applications of Ryzen speak for themselves. The benchmarks you've collected present a compelling argument for Ryzen as well.

Do you have any resources you can point me in the direction of for acclimating myself to the quirks and differences I can expect on a modern AMD processor as an Intel user, if I decide to go that route? Stuff like UEFI differences, things I need to know when shopping for a motherboard/memory, and general terminology differences between the two ecosystems. These are the real hang-ups for me when it comes to considering a Ryzen build.

There's some reviews which can inform you about the UEFI like these:
AMD RYZEN Overclocking Guide (Overclockers)
Bit-tech Gigabyte AB360-Gaming 3 Review (Overclocking and EFI)
Kit Guru Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 Motherboard Review (UEFI)
Modder Inc (Bundled Software and UEFI Overview)

There's also a huge Ryzen thread here which is very active: AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

Put together a Ryzen version of the rig I was shopping around in the last page. How does this look?

It looks good but I don't know if that cooler will come with the AM4 brackets in the box, and I'm not too sure about that memory as I don't see it on the support list so it might not work at that speed/timings but I could be wrong. Unfortunately I don't know too much about ram compatibility on Ryzen at the moment so hopefully someone more informed can chime in, you might also find it easier to ask around in the Ryzen thread I linked above.

Here's the link to the support list: GA-AB350-Gaming 3 - Support List

This memory kit
is more expensive but it's a 16GB 3200MHz kit that appears on that support list.

Samaritan

There's some reviews which can inform you about the UEFI like these:
AMD RYZEN Overclocking Guide (Overclockers)
Bit-tech Gigabyte AB360-Gaming 3 Review (Overclocking and EFI)
Kit Guru Gigabyte AB350-Gaming 3 Motherboard Review (UEFI)
Modder Inc (Bundled Software and UEFI Overview)

There's also a huge Ryzen thread here which is very active: AMD Ryzen Thread: Affordable Core Act

It looks good but I don't know if that cooler will come with the AM4 brackets in the box, and I'm not too sure about that memory as I don't see it on the support list so it might not work at that speed/timings but I could be wrong. Unfortunately I don't know too much about ram compatibility on Ryzen at the moment so hopefully someone more informed can chime in, you might also find it easier to ask around in the Ryzen thread I linked above.

Here's the link to the support list: GA-AB350-Gaming 3 - Support List

This memory kit
is more expensive but it's a 16GB 3200MHz kit that appears on that support list.

Thank you so much, you've been a huge help. I'm definitely leaning towards this Ryzen build now.

The AM4 bracket isn't included in the box, but I can easily get one from Cryorig. As for the RAM, thanks for the compatibility list. A lot of the reviews on the RAM I picked out mention it working fine with Ryzen, but I think I would prefer to have something on that list just in case.

So i'm going to make a new Pc, i'm going for the i7700k setup in the first page. The only thing i won't be able to afford is a new video card i was thinking of getting a 1080 ti but currently won't hve enough for it since i'm doing a full upgrade. So for a while i would be stuck with the CURRENT gpu i own which is a 560 ti lol. Will that video card cause any problems?
Well it's really slow... What CPU do you have currently?

Well it's really slow... What CPU do you have currently?

I have a old setup that i bought in 2008 the CPUis a AMD Phenom II 550 black edition. 2 cores at 3.1ghz socket AM3. Trust me i need to upgrade all lol. I was hoping to wait for the gpu. Im not expecting miracles from the 560ti on a new system but will the games work ok?

Socreges

Banned
So my desktop PC is now complete! I did the build Monday night and switched it on first time without issue. Very gratifying. Then last night I loaded Windows (USB boot) which required three different USBs and a lot of patience but finally got it done. It's a beauty. Very pleased. I'll post pictures later on.

-Thank you to Jafku for suggesting the build and even tweaking it when I had an issue
-Thank you to kennah for helping me FOUR YEARS AGO and finally this month I went ahead and did it
-Thanks to opticalmace for pointing out that the accessory box was likely tucked away in the case. This saved me a week and some embarrassment!
-Thanks to the community in general for being such a fantastic resource...

One last question. Drivers. I downloaded the driver update for my 1050 ti video card. What other driver updates should I be looking at online? Mobo? Any other components?

FinKL

One last question. Drivers. I downloaded the driver update for my 1050 ti video card. What other driver updates should I be looking at online? Mobo? Any other components?

A lot of times Windows will auto install all necessary drivers. Other times it will probably be on you to go to the mobo's website and get all the small drivers you think you may need (CPU/SATA/Mobo/BIOS etc) I personally just jump into games and install drivers as problems arise (rarely). BIOS would be the big one to get though, as there are performance optimizations that sometimes occur.

Kildrek

Ok.

I got my parts and put my pc together. I5 7600k seated properly and shows a nice temp. I'm on an Asus rog strix h270f gaming laptop.

I can not get the intel LAN port driver to install. I used the disc of drivers it came with, I downloaded both drivers that are on the Asus website, I've uninstalled the device and reinstalled the driver and every time it says there are no intel adapters.

Device manager says under network adapter "intel Ethernet connection (2) I219-V" but when I go to change adapter settings windows tells me there is no adapter. The orange light on the port is on when a cable is plugged in.

I spent 2 hours with Asus tech support and they're like "well, might have to reinstall windows and if that doesn't work send it back"

Anyone have any ideas? I'm going to reinstall windows but Jeeze I'm beyond frustrated right now

CazTGG

So, i've decided to go with a (hopefully silent) Ryzen build instead of my originally planned Intel 7700K machine given that i'll be using it for video production and audio recording in addition to other work (Also:
The 1700 was on sale for about $350): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/sz3tf8

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 8-Core Processor (Bought)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: Asus - CROSSHAIR VI HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3466 Desktop Memory
Storage: Intel - 600p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Boot)
Mushkin - Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary; Bought)
Seagate - BarraCuda Pro 10TB x 4 (Disk Enclosure; RAID 5/6)
Video Card: Corsair Hydro GFX​ ​GTX 1080​ T​i Liqui​d C​ooled ​Grap​hics ​Card
Case: Corsair - Carbide Quiet 600Q ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - X Series 1250W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased)
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Windows 10 Home
Sound Card: Asus - Essence STX II 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: Dell - S2417DG 23.8" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor
Other: Vantec Hard Drive Enclosure (NST-640S3R-BK; For RAID 5/6 Storage)

Total: $6570.46 CAD + tax

USAGE: Gaming at 1440p with plans to move to 4K once screens become more affordable, video editing/rendering, audio recording & editing.

One concern I have is whether the memory will be compatible without another BIOS update. Ideally, i'd prefer to have 2 x 16 GB instead of 4 sticks since it's a dual-channel board, with over 3200 GHz clock speeds and the one in my current build is one of the only ones I could find that's available in Canada that fits the above requirement. Any other recommendations are welcome.

EDIT: I should consider getting a new keyboard to replace my wireless Logitech mouse/keyboard hybrid. I already have a Logitech MX Master that can be shared between my laptop and PC.

MizzouRah

Did anyone upgrade from a GTX 1080 to a 1080ti? Thinking about making the jump for better 4K if I can sell my EVGA 1080 Classified for enough to minimize the damage.

Worth it?

So, I was dumb and didn't get around to building the machine I wanted to in April, so here we go for round 2. This will mostly be a web dev machine with some gaming, but it looks like that will be later when card prices go down. Original build was an i5-7500/1060 6Gb build, but it seems like for my purposes the Ryzen is a better choice, especially not that the ITX boards are out. The plan would be to go with the 1050 Ti until 1060 prices go back down, or just wait until 11 series is out and go that direction. Couple questions, how is the stock AMD fan as far as noise and if I want to keep things relatively quite, what is a decent fan to use here?

(See original post here).

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($121.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($150.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Windforce OC Video Card ($164.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $901.91

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
So, I was dumb and didn't get around to building the machine I wanted to in April, so here we go for round 2. This will mostly be a web dev machine with some gaming, but it looks like that will be later when card prices go down. Original build was an i5-7500/1060 6Gb build, but it seems like for my purposes the Ryzen is a better choice, especially not that the ITX boards are out. The plan would be to go with the 1050 Ti until 1060 prices go back down, or just wait until 11 series is out and go that direction. Couple questions, how is the stock AMD fan as far as noise and if I want to keep things relatively quite, what is a decent fan to use here?

(See original post here).

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($197.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($108.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($121.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($150.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Windforce OC Video Card ($164.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Node 202 HTPC Case ($64.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 450W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($91.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $901.91

Stock AMD fan will not fit in node 202.

Cryorig C7 + AM4 upgrade kit (free kit).

I just built a similar system, i will transfer SSD tonight and wipe it out for a clean install.

Unless case esthetics that you will never see because there's no window bother you, i would not even bother with a modular PSU, save cash, take the fractal design one that comes with node 202 for a much cheaper price combined than both of those seperate. The wiring is fine, i just did it myself, the hardest part is the drive SATAs but that is not a problem that will be solved with another PSU anyway.

Since you can't use the Ryzen stock fan for the 1600, there's the possibility to go 1600x since there's a lot of price drops, if you're comfortable with higher TDP and heat though. Personally, i still went with 1600 for a cooler solution, node 202 ain't known for it's thermal design (which any SFF case will have problems).

kuYuri

So, i've decided to go with a (hopefully silent) Ryzen build instead of my originally planned Intel 7700K machine given that i'll be using it for video production and audio recording in addition to other work (Also:
The 1700 was on sale for about $350): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/sz3tf8

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 8-Core Processor (Bought)
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Liquid CPU Cooler
Thermal Compound: Thermal Grizzly - Kryonaut 1g Thermal Paste
Motherboard: Asus - CROSSHAIR VI HERO (WI-FI AC) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3466 Desktop Memory
Storage: Intel - 600p Series 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Boot)
Mushkin - Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Secondary; Bought)
Seagate - BarraCuda Pro 10TB x 4 (Disk Enclosure; RAID 5/6)
Video Card: Corsair Hydro GFX​ ​GTX 1080​ T​i Liqui​d C​ooled ​Grap​hics ​Card
Case: Corsair - Carbide Quiet 600Q ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - X Series 1250W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased)
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer
Operating System: Windows 10 Home
Sound Card: Asus - Essence STX II 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card
Monitor: Dell - S2417DG 23.8" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor
Other: Vantec Hard Drive Enclosure (NST-640S3R-BK; For RAID 5/6 Storage)

Total: $6570.46 CAD + tax

USAGE: Gaming at 1440p with plans to move to 4K once screens become more affordable, video editing/rendering, audio recording & editing.

One concern I have is whether the memory will be compatible without another BIOS update. Ideally, i'd prefer to have 2 x 16 GB instead of 4 sticks since it's a dual-channel board, with over 3200 GHz clock speeds and the one in my current build is one of the only ones I could find that's available in Canada that fits the above requirement. Any other recommendations are welcome.

EDIT: I should consider getting a new keyboard to replace my wireless Logitech mouse/keyboard hybrid. I already have a Logitech MX Master that can be shared between my laptop and PC.

The one thing that stands out to me is the monitor. It's a solid monitor, don't get me wrong, but I feel like you can go better considering how much you're already spending on the build/.

At 1440P, I would highly recommend 27'' minimum, plus since you are working with video production, I feel like an IPS or VA panel would serve your work better.

Just my thoughts!

Grexeno

Quick question

I have this case and recently one of the case fans that came with it has apparently started to die, as it sounds noticeably choppy when trying to run at higher RPMs.

My question: what size and which fans should I buy to replace it (and the other 2 since I might as well.)
So I solved this issue.

A small wire was hitting one of the GPU fans.

:p

CazTGG

The one thing that stands out to me is the monitor. It's a solid monitor, don't get me wrong, but I feel like you can go better considering how much you're already spending on the build/.

At 1440P, I would highly recommend 27'' minimum, plus since you are working with video production, I feel like an IPS or VA panel would serve your work better.

Just my thoughts!

Are there any specific 27-28" monitors I should be looking at?

K would get the ryzen 5 1600 instead of 1600x. You can save money, save on the cooler (1600 comes with good stock cooler) and similar performance , unless you really want to overclock significantly

I had the DUAL OC variant of the RX 480 and it broke down within a month. Felt cheap as hell too (which I guess is expected because a) it's ASUS and b) it's their budget line), but yeah, I wouldn't personally trust that style again.

You'd hope the 1070 wouldn't suffer the same issues, being a high end card and all. If it helps, I went with the EVGA SUPERCLOCKED 1070, and the build quality is way, way better (metal rather than plastic).

Just my input.

Socreges

Banned
A lot of times Windows will auto install all necessary drivers. Other times it will probably be on you to go to the mobo's website and get all the small drivers you think you may need (CPU/SATA/Mobo/BIOS etc) I personally just jump into games and install drivers as problems arise (rarely). BIOS would be the big one to get though, as there are performance optimizations that sometimes occur.
Ok thanks. Looking at updates on the ASRock site then:

Driver downloads

Am I good with just doing the AMD all in 1 driver alone? Or should I include the others as well? I may have them already through Windows updates, but I have no idea how to check driver versions tbh

And the BIOS page gives me this warning:

Please read the information below before downloading or updating your BIOS
We don't recommend users to update the BIOS if their system is already running normally. ASRock assumes no responsibility for any damages caused by improper operations of downloading or updating the BIOS. Before you download or update the BIOS, please read " (How to Update)" below carefully. After updating BIOS, all the settings will be reset to the default.
What is the advantage of updating BIOS? I have no idea what AGESA is, so my bias is to just ignore BIOS updates

Samaritan

K would get the ryzen 5 1600 instead of 1600x. You can save money, save on the cooler (1600 comes with good stock cooler) and similar performance , unless you really want to overclock significantly
Thanks for the insight! Seems like the performance gains with the 1600X just aren't worth it, so I'll certainly consider just getting the 1600.

Sami+

Is there any ETA on the next line of AMD or Nvidia cards this year? I've only recently started looking to update my gfx card, but everything is out of stock on Amazon lol. I prefer to buy there because I get 5% cash back with my card + I have Prime.

kuYuri

Is there any ETA on the next line of AMD or Nvidia cards this year? I've only recently started looking to update my gfx card, but everything is out of stock on Amazon lol. I prefer to buy there because I get 5% cash back with my card + I have Prime.

AMD RX Vega cards start launching in like less than two weeks I think.

Nvidia's next cards are early next year I think?

Dmax3901

Comment on about it how? Its an evga so it's good, on top of that its a ftw so it's their top card.

Sorry for being vague, I just meant general impressions, safe to buy, that sort of thing.

I have the SC version of that (a slightly cheaper/less feature filled version) and it's been good for me in terms of noise/temps. Some users seem to have had some issues with the FTW version (noise and heat), but the reviews have been good.

A few GAFfers prefered the Asus Strix line over that card as they found it cooler/quieter.

Maaan I'm so tempted.

kmfdmpig

Sorry for being vague, I just meant general impressions, safe to buy, that sort of thing.

Maaan I'm so tempted.

Most 1080 ti cards will be good and perform very similarly. The clocks are all fairly close as well, so the key differentiation points are cooling (if the cards get too hot they throttle and slow down) and aesthetics.

There's a thread focused on those cards and in it people will share thoughts on the different models, have suggestions, etc...
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1351139

Anyone had any luck selling their old PC parts through CeX?

Can't really be bothered listing it on eBay and posting it off. Was thinking of stripping my old build and just selling it by the individual parts.

What's the best way to lock the frame rate? I have my htpc (gpu coming Friday) connected to my living room tv and only need it to do 60fps.

I also heard that some games have screen tearing if you lock it to 60fps and its better to lock it to 70-75 to limit this, is this true?

What TV do you have? Most TVs cap out at 60hz anyway so just turning on VSYNC and you wont go above 60fps.

Riva Tuner (RTSS) is your best bet, it can help with frame pacing too.

Thank you so much, you've been a huge help. I'm definitely leaning towards this Ryzen build now.

The AM4 bracket isn't included in the box, but I can easily get one from Cryorig. As for the RAM, thanks for the compatibility list. A lot of the reviews on the RAM I picked out mention it working fine with Ryzen, but I think I would prefer to have something on that list just in case.

No problem, good luck on your build!

Anyone had any luck selling their old PC parts through CeX?

Can't really be bothered listing it on eBay and posting it off. Was thinking of stripping my old build and just selling it by the individual parts.

How old are they and do you know how much they sell for? Because from what I've seen CeX runs their business by ripping people off, the buy and sell prices of some products are ridiculous.

Top Bottom