• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

ISee

Much difference in a 7700k and i5 6700k if you oc both in pure gaming terms? Big price difference.

Typo alarm: There is no i5 6700k

i7 6700k vs i7 7700k
No difference at all if both run at the same clock speed and use the same memory.

i7 7700k vs i5 6600k
The difference is huge in some games and non existent in other games.

Watch_Dgos 2 runs about 40% faster on the 7700k.
BF1 is the same.
Total War:Warhammer runs ~ 20% faster on the 7700k

Gamer Nexus benchmarks

That said, the 6600k is fast enough to give you 60 fps on average, with some dips here and there (look at 1% and 0.1% lows). Personally I'd go for the 7700k because it is the stronger CPU on average, but it's not a must do.

Izuna

Banned
Depends on your resolution and desired framerate. For 1080p/60 it is overkill, but for 1440p/60-144 or 4k/60? If you don'tmind the price tag? Sure. But keep in mind, a 450-500€ card will give you (probably) the same kind of performance next year.

Hmm... It's just that I have 1080 Ti I was supposed to exchange for a 1080 + £300, but that deal is on its last legs.

Wondering if I should just say fuck it and keep it...

Like, if in a month the Ti is £100 cheaper, then it will feel a little poop.

stb

I think AMD is releasing the 5XX series soon, but they're refreshes so it wont be a huge deal

1.I would get the Reeven Justice, it's on par with $80 air and $100 liquid CPU coolers for
$50. That and 120mm liquid coolers are that great tbh
2. RAM. Just get any cheap DDR4-3000MHz ram, most if not all of them are backed by lifetime warranties, plus you have a non-windowed case so it doesn't really matter how it looks.
3. I would switch the HDD to a Toshiba P300 2TB.
Also I would consider a 480 if you don't mind having an AMD card.

Thanks.
- I'll check out that Reeven Justice.
- Is any old ram going to be significant cheaper, though?
- I'm a WD drive guy. I know other brands have good quality, too, but I've literally never had a WD die in me in 20 years of PC building *knock on wood*.
- I've got nothing against AMD cards; my last 3 were AMD. I'll take a second look at the 480, but some of the nvidea QOL/software stuff is pretty attractive. Plus, I like to switch brands every once in a while just for perspective.

Why not Ryzen?
It sounds much better option than 7700k for your usecase.

"It is used primarily for games"

a 7700K is still good for video/sound editing and streaming and it's better for playing games. if they were primarily doing sound/video editing then yeah a Ryzen would be better. also 7700k is cheaper than a 1700X.

This; when I say "primarily used for games" I mean more like 85% games than 51% games.

Also, Ryzen's new, and I'll probably be using this mobo and CPU for 4-5 years, so the off chance of ANY issues outweighs advantages in the monitory of software I'd use that would showing a significant improvement with 8 physical cores vs 4.

dcx4610

For those with 4k screens, how do games look running at 1440p? I've currently got a 1440p screen which I absolutely love but I'm pretty sold on one of the new 4K HDR gsync monitors that are coming soon. I usually prefer playing at higher frame rates so I think I'll probably want to play a lot of games (not all) at 1440p until I upgrade to a card that can do 4K at high frame rates. opinions?

It won't look good. 1440 doesn't multiply into 2160. What you will get is a blurry image. 1080 however does multiply and should look indistinguishable from a 1080 display and possibly better due to the upscaling. If you have a 4k monitor, you will want to run at 1080 or 2160.

Mergesort

It's golem.de so I assume there is at least some truth to it.

Here is more:

OK. Got information back on this. Everything I have mentioned here is definitively correct.

Intel is licensing AMD GPU technology. No money has changed hands yet, so there is not financial impact till late in the year, hence nothing in the current earnings report.

The first product AMD is working on for Intel is a Kaby Lake processor variant that will positioned in the entry-to-mid level performance segment. It is in fact an MCM (multi-chip-module), and will not be on-die with the KB CPU. It is scheduled to come to market before the end of the year. I would expect more collaboration between AMD and Intel in the future on the graphics side.

And you can take all that to the bank.

source

Hey guys. My motherboard fried on my PC so I replaced the whole unit with a cheaper, mid-ATX unit. The new rig I got only has a 250GB SSD for storage.

Some of the parts in my old rig are salvageable, like my HDD. I plan to install it in this new rig (both to recover my data and to increase storage capacity on new rig).

There is a legitimate copy of Windows 10 already installed on both storage devices. My question is, if I install my old HDD onto this rig, will the "double Windows" thing cause any sort of problems for me?

Hey guys. My motherboard fried on my PC so I replaced the whole unit with a cheaper, mid-ATX unit. The new rig I got only has a 250GB SSD for storage.

Some of the parts in my old rig are salvageable, like my HDD. I plan to install it in this new rig (both to recover my data and to increase storage capacity on new rig).

There is a legitimate copy of Windows 10 already installed on both storage devices. My question is, if I install my old HDD onto this rig, will the "double Windows" thing cause any sort of problems for me?

I believe it should be fine, just make sure you correctly order which one it should look at first as the boot drive.

ISee

Here is more:

source

Maybe Intel wants to test how a multi chip module is going to work out for them, because they no longer want to 'waste' die space for an iGPU in the future (--> finally more cores for end users, maybe before coffee lake) . Or maybe they want the CPU tech to be used by Sony and Microsoft in the future, or...
We'll see, this comes out of the blue but both companies licensed tech from each other before, this isn't totaly implausible.

Mohasus

It won't look good. 1440 doesn't multiply into 2160. What you will get is a blurry image. 1080 however does multiply and should look indistinguishable from a 1080 display and possibly better due to the upscaling. If you have a 4k monitor, you will want to run at 1080 or 2160.

It would be true if there was an option for nearest neighbor scaling, but there isn't. 1080p on a 4K screen is even blurrier than 1440p.

Mergesort

Maybe Intel wants to test how a multi chip module is going to work out for them, because they no longer want to 'waste' die space for an iGPU in the future (--> finally more cores for end users, maybe before coffee lake) . Or maybe they want the CPU tech to be used by Sony and Microsoft in the future, or...
We'll see, this comes out of the blue but both companies licensed tech from each other before, this isn't totaly implausible.

Never heard of anything like this before. I am quite surprised. I thought this might go into next gen consoles, but no way AMD would want to lose their market share.

ISee

Never heard of anything like this before. I am quite surprised. I thought this might go into next gen consoles, but no way AMD would want to lose their market share.

Just two examples that came into my mind:

AMD hat to license Intels SSE and MMX instruction set.
Later Intel had to license AMDs 64 bit 'architecture' (AMD64) because their own IA-64 instruction set wasn't able to run old x86 (32bit) code. In the end Intel reworked some of the AMD64 stuff and released their own EM64T set, but AMD has the patent and Intel had to pay for it.

Typo alarm: There is no i5 6700k

i7 6700k vs i7 7700k
No difference at all if both run at the same clock speed and use the same memory.

i7 7700k vs i5 6600k
The difference is huge in some games and non existent in other games.

Watch_Dgos 2 runs about 40% faster on the 7700k.
BF1 is the same.
Total War:Warhammer runs ~ 20% faster on the 7700k

Gamer Nexus benchmarks

That said, the 6600k is fast enough to give you 60 fps on average, with some dips here and there (look at 1% and 0.1% lows). Personally I'd go for the 7700k because it is the stronger CPU on average, but it's not a must do.

thanks. I actually meant the latest i5 skylake though.

Intel® Core™ i5-7600K vs the 7700k

A couple of different Gigabyte GTX 1080s are $420 on Ebay through Newegg.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10016636-g...d-419-99-via-newegg-on-ebay-back-in-stock?v=1

Just picked one up. It's more than I was planning on getting for my PC, but I'm future proofing, plus I picked up a couple of refurb 23" monitors for $75 each that match my existing one, so I'll go with a 3-monitor display.

Total cost for my build is now just a bit under $1,100. I got a PC with a Core i5-6400, 12GB DDR4 RAM, and 1TB hard drive, plus a 500W power supply (and converter cable for Lenovo's unique motherboard power input), GTX 1080, and 3 Lenovo 23" 1080p monitors.

Way more than I needed or planned, but that's usually how things work out, right?

Anyone here have experience with HIS cards for noise and reliability? I'm looking to get a 480 for my build this month and need a GPU to be pretty quiet for running two relatively old monitors, 1920x1200 (I'm not going water cooling route). Would MSI Armor OC 8GB be a better choice? This isn't for primarily a gaming machine, but wouldn't mind running a few new titles ok but it'll also help with the programs I use which might push GPU on occasion.

Cheers.

Also, I'm currently rocking a 9600GT so yeah, i think its time to get something newer. only issue is my monitors don't have HDMI/display-port IN, so will have to get converters if thats an option, if not please point me to a card with dual DVI.

kuYuri

If anyone happens to live near a Micro Center, their CPU/Motherboard combos are now taking $50 off the compatible motherboard when purchased with a 1700 or 1800X, or $100 off (!) the mobo when purchased with a 1700X.

Some of the B350 motherboards can essentially be gotten for free when purchased with a 1700X.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I like Newegg because they don't charge me sales tax, but I like Amazon because of their customer service.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I didn't realize Amazon charged for tax until this week. Went to look and they wanted $60 in taxes meanwhile Newegg was completely free of. Also Newegg has a warehouse near me so even the slowest shipping gets to me in a day.

@PlayALLtheGames

Nice stuff, liking the black chrome cover. :p
I was gonna order a new AM4 block myself (Cuplex kryos NEXT) since I don't like how my EK supremacy looks with the AMD mounting plate, but yesterday my D5 suddenly crapped out after 4 years of running continously, so I had to spend €75 on a new D5 instead. -_-

Funny you mention that block because this got delivered today:

11111kzp8n.png

3333nzorn.png

4444444fnpvx.png

I could finally position things and see how my tubes would run. I knew it wouldn't be as easy as I had pictured and sure enough my original plans have been shat on. Watercooling pls.

Can someone enlighten me please on how power consumption work?

My current graphic card is HD 7870, and it eats a lot of power on full load.

From what I've heard, GTX 1060 is much power friendly, but why is that on this benchmark it shows 260/280W on full load? That's not much different from my card.

Will I be saving a decent amount of power by upgrading to 1060?

I'm not talking about performance per watt here, only the power consumption. I'm not sure what to get if I want to save power on my PC build.

GRaider81

Im thinking of upgrading my 4690k sometime soon, should I continue to wait or would the kabylakes be a good upgrade?

Another option would be to upgrade to a 4790k to avoid new MB and RAM costs but thinking it might be worth extra cost.

Im mainly using my PC for quite heavy CPU games like TW Warhammer, EU4 and similar strategy games.

Just thinking it might be worth the upgrade for TW2, DoW3 etc

ISee

Can someone enlighten me please on how power consumption work?

My current graphic card is HD 7870, and it eats a lot of power on full load.

From what I've heard, GTX 1060 is much power friendly, but why is that on this benchmark it shows 260/280W on full load? That's not much different from my card.

Will I be saving a decent amount of power by upgrading to 1060?

I'm not talking about performance per watt here, only the power consumption. I'm not sure what to get if I want to save power on my PC build.

You can't compare both benchmarks because both show total power consumption but use different CPUs (3960x @ 4.3 vs 4960x @ 4.2), different Mainboards, ram, drives etc.
If you go by specs the 1060 (FE) has a max power consumption of 120W while the 7870 has 175W. That's about 30% less power consumption for more then double the boost in performance. That's actually quiet good.

Im thinking of upgrading my 4690k sometime soon, should I continue to wait or would the kabylakes be a good upgrade?

Another option would be to upgrade to a 4790k to avoid new MB and RAM costs but thinking it might be worth extra cost.

Im mainly using my PC for quite heavy CPU games like TW Warhammer, EU4 and similar strategy games.

Just thinking it might be worth the upgrade for TW2, DoW3 etc

Are you unsatisfied with your current performance then sure go for an upgrade, but if performance is fine then wait because the CPU market is still moving and in an uneasy state. In other words it is hard to recommend something atm, especially because of Ryzen.
For example: The newest TWW patch improved ryzen performance significantly. The average fps boost is already fine, but the 0.1% and 1% lows are much more interesting and even more significant (indicates much smoother frame times).

Gamer Nexus - Ryzen revisited

But it is still behind an 7700k (186 fps average, 137fps 1% low, 111fps 0.1%low) and other games don't show any kind of improvements, but maybe things will improve even more in the future for the ryzen 1700 and maybe they won't. No way to tell.
(For comparison the 4690k will give you 142 fps / 81 fps / 46fps in TWW).

If you still plan to upgrade and to go the Intel path I'd definitely go the kabylake route. 1.) You'll get higher clockspeeds and better oc capabilitys, which are still very important because single thread performance counts. 2.) You'll get a newer platform with new features like m2 drive support, more pci-e lanes, native usb 3.1 support,
3.) You'll get faster ddr4. Using high speed ram further improves cpu performance in bottleneck situations.

That said a 4790k is everything but outdated, especially when paired with fast ddr3 2133+ XMP ram. It is a valid upgrade route.

GRaider81

Are you unsatisfied with your current performance then sure go for an upgrade, but if performance is fine then wait because the CPU market is still moving and in an uneasy state. In other words it is hard to recommend something atm, especially because of Ryzen.
For example: The newest TWW patch improved ryzen performance significantly. The average fps boost is already fine, but the 0.1% and 1% lows are much more interesting and even more significant (indicates much smoother frame times).

Gamer Nexus - Ryzen revisited

But it is still behind an 7700k (186 fps average, 137fps 1% low, 111fps 0.1%low) and other games don't show any kind of improvements, but maybe things will improve even more in the future for the ryzen 1700 and maybe they won't. No way to tell.
(For comparison the 4690k will give you 142 fps / 81 fps / 46fps in TWW).

If you still plan to upgrade and to go the Intel path I'd definitely go the kabylake route. 1.) You'll get higher clockspeeds and better oc capabilitys, which are still very important because single thread performance counts. 2.) You'll get a newer platform with new features like m2 drive support, more pci-e lanes, native usb 3.1 support,
3.) You'll get faster ddr4. Using high speed ram further improves cpu performance in bottleneck situations.

That said a 4790k is everything but outdated, especially when paired with fast ddr3 2133+ XMP ram. It is a valid upgrade route.

thanks thats great info.

Id not actually considered ryzen as i'm so used to buying intel, will have a look at those too.

ARe there still issues with the 7700k running hot that i'm reading about in reviews?

Vipu

Banned
thanks thats great info.

Id not actually considered ryzen as i'm so used to buying intel, will have a look at those too.

ARe there still issues with the 7700k running hot that i'm reading about in reviews?

Ye well they still have toothpaste inside so you better delid it if you plan to OC.
On default it should be fine.

ISee

thanks thats great info.

Nothing to worry about too much. Most complains are from people running the cpu at 5ghz. I'm able to run my 7700k @ 4.8ghz and 1.24v. Temperatures are fine ~70°C under heavy prime 95 (26.6) load with an old mugen 2 air cooler. But of course results will vary.

Zen Aku

Is it a bad time to buy DDR4 RAM? I heard prices are incredibly high right now. I have 8GB of DDR4 right now. Looking to upgrade to 16GB.

But looking at 16GB of DDR4 on Newegg, it's at least $100 USD. Should I wait?

Renekton

Nothing to worry about too much. Most complains are from people running the cpu at 5ghz. I'm able to run my 7700k @ 4.8ghz and 1.24v. Temperatures are fine ~70°C under heavy prime 95 (26.6) load with an old mugen 2 air cooler. But of course results will vary.
Did you offset the AVX?

Mad Max

Try running a new version of p95 like 28.10 and see what happens ;^). I had a 7700k briefly and even with water cooling it would easily hit 80C with similar settings. Delidding it wil drop temps by about 10C though.

ISee

Did you offset the AVX?

Try running a new version of p95 like 28.10 and see what happens ;^). I had a 7700k briefly and even with water cooling it would easily hit 80C with similar settings. Delidding it wil drop temps by about 10C though.

26.6 doesn't use avx. Running newer prime95 versions will of course result in higher temperatures, especially when the avx instruction set is executed at full clock speed, but it is not very real life representative. Opinions vary here a lot, but a stable prime 26.6 oc is a good indication for temperatures, voltage and stability under gaming conditions.

Is it a bad time to buy DDR4 RAM? I heard prices are incredibly high right now. I have 8GB of DDR4 right now. Looking to upgrade to 16GB.

Maybe look somewhere other than Newegg? And I doubt waiting will do much.

How important is RAM speeds these days? If I'm pairing it with a 7700k, what speed should I be shooting for?

The better question is which motherboard are you pairing it with? Check the combination for any potential compatibility issues. 2400mhz should be fine.

mephixto

Banned
I have a old Sandy 3930k that for some reason is running kinda hot lately on water (Corsair H115i) 50°C idle with no OC. I already changed the thermal paste and no change so maybe it's time to retire it.

I was looking at a 7700k but I'm not sure, is there something else to look at the near future and wait?

paskowitz

I have a old Sandy 3930k that for some reason is running kinda hot lately on water (Corsair H115i) 50°C idle with no OC. I already changed the thermal paste and no change so maybe it's time to retire it.

I was looking at a 7700k but I'm not sure, is there something else to look at the near future and wait?

Near future, no. Mid to late 2018 should be Canonlake , which should be on an improved process and hopefully have 6 cores on a mainstream chip. Please notice the one of the words "should" and "hopefully".

Yeah, it's a bad time and it's not going to improve until 2018.

Don't wait unless you're getting the Newegg newsletters and coupons.

LilJoka

Did you clean the rad and fans?

LilJoka

26.6 doesn't use avx. Running newer prime95 versions will of course result in higher temperatures, especially when the avx instruction set is executed at full clock speed, but it is not very real life representative. Opinions vary here a lot, but a stable prime 26.6 oc is a good indication for temperatures, voltage and stability under gaming conditions.

Forza Horizon 3 uses AVX.
It's better to use latest prime95 since there were some bug fixes. In the local.txt you can disable AVX if you want.

Probably a dumb question, but is there any difference between long and short graphic cards? They're making "mini" versions of the 480 and the 1060s. Just wondering if there's any kind of shortfall to getting one of these over the regular versions.

Celcius

°Temp. member
How important is RAM speeds these days? If I'm pairing it with a 7700k, what speed should I be shooting for?

For my 7700k I went with 3200mhz ram with the tightest timings I could find (G.Skill ripjawsV). You can also go with 3600mhz but the kits that I was looking at had taller heatspreaders which would have interfered with my cpu heatsink (I needed low profile). I'd go with either a 3200mhz or 3600mhz kit though.

Try running a new version of p95 like 28.10 and see what happens ;^).

Exactly what I was going to say :p

LilJoka

Probably a dumb question, but is there any difference between long and short graphic cards? They're making "mini" versions of the 480 and the 1060s. Just wondering if there's any kind of shortfall to getting one of these over the regular versions.

Worse cooling
Generally run lower clocks or boost clocks due to the above.
Get the biggest your case can fit.

Thorgal

got a question from my nephew :

he is looking for a new GPU and he asks :
How much GB should his GPU have at least for most recent games to run decent ?

b0bbyJ03

is Steam/Origin/Uplay like playstation, where you have to deactivate your account before moving on to new hardware? last thing I want is a limitation on how many PCs I can downloand my games on because i forgot to deactivate my account or something. I'm getting rid of my hardware this week so any other tips would be appreciated if anyone has any good advice. Thanks.

Top Bottom