• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Vipu

Banned
So I guess I'm going to start putting something together soon.

Here's a run at my first draft.
m8hVfSe.png

Anyone see any red flags or have any notable suggestions?

Much appreciated!

You can get win10 pro oem for 5-20$, pretty big savings can be done there.

Just wanted to give a heads up that anyone still rocking a 2500k and needs and upgrade, but isn't ready to commit to new platform + ddr4, the 3770k is a very viable option.

Just swapped out my 2500k @ 4.6 to a 3770k @ 4.5 and the difference in BF1 and GTAV is very noticable. Frame times and minimum frames have greatly improved.

Yep, I just installed my new cpu+mobo+ddr4+psu (7700k) yesterday, old cpu was xeon x5670 that is 7-8 years old.
The difference is pretty massive that those frametimes make even if the fps is same in some places.

Izuna

Banned
Windows 10 Education has Cortana disabled

That PSU is overkill

Go for a smaller SSD imo, 250GB is enough

I'd probably go for a good air cooler for half that amount

Then you can use the money you save on getting the Ti instead

Kyne

Thanks for the advice guys.

How do I acquire this magical $10-20 Windows 10 OS? I've seen reddit threads selling the digital downloads for like $30-40.. but that's pretty much it.

Effect

I have a ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 motherboard and currently using 8GB of ram along with a GTX 960 2GB and AMD FX-8320 3.5ghz cpu. Didn't want to upgrade but the more I think about it I really should start again. Got the motherboard back in 2015 so I figure I can get a few more years of out of it. I think the CPU is fine (not willing to go that far for an upgrade again as I would then need a new motherboard) but I think my issues are the ram and the graphics card.

Does anyone have any suggestions or links to a ram set that would work well with this motherboard? I figure I would or maybe should just go right to 16GB or 12 at the least. Then work on the graphics card some time later this year.

I was looking at this https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231568 but if there are better options that would be great.

Thanks.

Edit:

Decided to look for a new GPU I would upgrade to if the price was write and up with the following. Also curious as to what others thought about the potential upgrade.

AMD FX-8320 3.5ghz
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 Motherboard
EVGA GTX 960 2GB
8GB Ram

To:

AMD FX-8320 3.5Ghz
ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 Motherboard
ASUS GTX 1060 3GB
16GB Ram

That would make the new upgrade VR capable right? Or would there still be an issue? Still trying to work within a budget and still trying to remove reasons for picking up a PS4 or XBO or even a Scorpio.

b0bbyJ03

Is intel rapid storage technology worth turning on for just one drive (an M.2 SSD)? From what I understood it was made for RAID setups but I read somewhere that it can boost performance for single drives as well. Anyone have any insight they can share? Thanks.

If you can find Windows 10 anywhere for less than ~$80-100 there's a 99% chance it's harvested from an illegitimate source.

I'm sure Microsoft would rather people pay full retail price, but keys purchased from resellers activate and function exactly the same as retail keys. Unless you're a Microsoft shareholder, there's no reason to advise against buying from a reseller.

Xyphie

I'm sure Microsoft would rather people pay full retail price, but keys purchased from resellers activate and function exactly the same as retail keys. Unless you're a Microsoft shareholder, there's no reason to advise against buying from a reseller.

Microsoft gets $0 from these keys because they're stolen from BizSpark/DreamSpark and other initiatives meant to offer free development software. You might as well torrent a copy and save your $10-20 or whatever. It's effectively the same to them.

Weevilone

Microsoft gets $0 from these keys because they're stolen from BizSpark/DreamSpark and other initiatives meant to offer free development software. You might as well torrent a copy and save your $10-20 or whatever. It's effectively the same to them.

Thanks. I had never heard of these initiatives so it makes sense.

The thing that makes keys like this appealing is the fight you have to go through to keep legit keys working. I had a retail Windows 8 key that had been upgraded to 10. As soon as I made a hardware change, it de-activated. It took Microsoft a good hour of remote controlling my PC to resolve the activation. My favorite feature of OSX is not having to fuss with activation issues.

Cetra

Thanks for the replies. I thought that sounded kinda shady since the MSRP for legitimate licences is so much higher than $20.00. Though, if the way these retailers are obtaining the keys they're selling is whats been stated here, I suppose those keys are legitimate in themselves, they're just being obtained illegally or otherwise. Interesting none the less.

Another question for you all. I'm kinda starting the feel the need to upgrade, but I'm not sure than a full rebuild is completely necessary. It's running on 2012 parts though, so... I'm kinda iffy all around. I'm thinking if anything add some Ram and update my video card. Or is a rebuild warranted?

Current Specs:
i52500k OC'd to 4.3GHZ
8GB DDR3 1600Mhz
128GB SSD + 1TB WD Storage Drive
EVGA GTX 780 3GB
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO Revision 3 Motherboard

I'm thinking about getting my RAM to 16 or 32GB, and swapping in a GTX 1070 for my 780. But would this be a band-aid on a wound type situation? Is the platform itself old enough that it just needs to be replaced?

TBH - I only ever run into issues with three games - Dark Souls III, Nier: Automata, and Conan Exiles. Everything else runs great at 1080p/60FPS, some even handle downsampling beautifully. I dunno, it's just something I'm considering at the moment. Any advice is truly appreciated.

Anyone have suggestions for a cheap 1080p 144hz monitor? I've been looking into it and it seems like the viewsonic xg2401 is a good monitor. The only problem is I have a nivdia card so I can't use its Freesync feature. A friend of mine told me even if I can't use the freesync I should still get it because it's the best monitor out of the cheap 144hz monitors in the market.

Can anyone more knowledgeable over the matter please give me some advice on what monitor I should get. I have a gtx 1070 btw.

stb

What's your definition of a price drop? There's an MSI 6 GB card on sale for $225.49, plus a $15 rebate.

Thank you for posting this!

I'm in "ambush buying mode", where I wait for sales on my exact component or close enough. This wasn't the exact card I was waiting for, but a 6GB 1060 open-air from a good brand at $210 made me pull the trigger. Plus, I had $160 in Amazon credit, so $50 out of pocket is perfect for me.

The cracks and drm-bypasses necessary to run torrented versions need to be constantly updated. A reseller key is exactly the same as a retail key to the end user.

The fact that Microsoft doesn't get money from the resale is of zero interest to the end user. Choosing to pay more for a license is the same thing as donating money to Microsoft. If you can't think of a more suitable charitable donation to make, I can make suggestions.

Those three parts (CPU, video card, SSD) are what I'm considering right now but I'm clearly open for suggestions. I'd like to stay around $400 or so but I'm not sure that's feasible. Maybe I should just use what I have for now and keep saving for the full upgrade?

Anyway, I apologize for the long post and thank you in advance for any suggestions.

Going to a 5650 would be an improvement but not sure how much. Either way, buy new.

Samsung EVOs are great; lots of experience with those and the PRO line. You'd have a 6GB/s SSD in a 3GB/s port which is fine. Speeds will be lower (vs 6GB/s) depending on use case but for day-to-day stuff probably not noticeable and anyway it's a big improvement over HDD.

1060 is a few generations ahead of your current GPU so yes it would help.

I don't think it'd be a bad idea to just refresh everything though instead of putting money towards a 7-year-old CPU. For now you could get just the GPU if you're impatient but then you're potentially foregoing a better deal and/or better GPU when you upgrade everything else.

e90Mark

Anyone have suggestions for a cheap 1080p 144hz monitor? I've been looking into it and it seems like the viewsonic xg2401 is a good monitor. The only problem is I have a nivdia card so I can't use its Freesync feature. A friend of mine told me even if I can't use the freesync I should still get it because it's the best monitor out of the cheap 144hz monitors in the market.

Can anyone more knowledgeable over the matter please give me some advice on what monitor I should get. I have a gtx 1070 btw.
I made a post about this not too long ago.
Zowie/Benq XL2411z. Asus VG248QE. AOC G2460PF. Probably the AOC G2460PQU would be under $250 as well.

Personally, I'm a fan of the XL2411z

I can recommend the Benq XL2411z. Have been using for about two years now and its great.
I'm switching to an IPS Freesync monitor though, because I really don't need 144Hz these days.

GRaider81

If I am buying a new MB what is the process for moving windows 10 from my old machine? Id like to do a clean install of everything.

Am i able to do it or do I need to buy a new key?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
1080 ti arrived. Have everything I need to put it together. Just missing certain peripherals and stuff for the room. Going to be a long weekend.

wiQclFs.jpg

If I am buying a new MB what is the process for moving windows 10 from my old machine? Id like to do a clean install of everything.

Am i able to do it or do I need to buy a new key?

Depends on various factors. A clean install is the simplest way of approaching things, and you can also do a reinstall while retaining your files from within Windows 10. If you're going from intel to intel you should mostly be fine, just uninstall your drivers from the old motherboard; if like me a few months ago you're swapping CPU manufacturer as well, you're gonna have to more fundamentally flush out your system drivers.

Shouldn't need another key either way though I believe.

Weevilone

Depends on various factors. A clean install is the simplest way of approaching things, and you can also do a reinstall while retaining your files from within Windows 10. If you're going from intel to intel you should mostly be fine, just uninstall your drivers from the old motherboard; if like me a few months ago you're swapping CPU manufacturer as well, you're gonna have to more fundamentally flush out your system drivers.

Shouldn't need another key either way though I believe.

Windows 10 will almost certainly need to be re-activated. Maybe it will and maybe it won't. Then you call MS and they either help you or say no.

I just went thru this with a move from Z97 to Z270. When I swapped boards the OS was able to re-authorize ok online. I had issues with that MB (thanks Asus!) so I swapped for a different Z270 and then was at the mercy of Microsoft.

liezryou

I never said anything about reviews saying it was bad; just that it can be noisy. And you do know where I'm reading those reviews because I listed them.

Bullshit, the vast majority of those site's reviews all say that it is extremely silent. The amount of posts on the official EVGA forums that are complaining about noise on the g2 can be counted on your hand. (Yeah a few units might be defective, welcome to manufacturing)

Again i don't know where you are getting this information that it is a noisy PSU. Try some reliable sites like techpowerup and jonnyguru and do your research before advising people incorrectly about PSUs.

Windows 10 will almost certainly need to be re-activated. Maybe it will and maybe it won't. Then you call MS and they either help you or say no.

I just went thru this with a move from Z97 to Z270. When I swapped boards the OS was able to re-authorize ok online. I had issues with that MB (thanks Asus!) so I swapped for a different Z270 and then was at the mercy of Microsoft.

Oh yeah, that's true. I managed to re-activate with my existing key, haven't had an issue since after I fixed the driver issues affecting performance (freaking audio cost me half my frames in the Witcher 3, seriously).

Celcius

°Temp. member
1080 ti arrived. Have everything I need to put it together. Just missing certain peripherals and stuff for the room. Going to be a long weekend.

Nice, it's always a good feeling when you have all those boxes ready to be opened. Looking forward to seeing pictures of the finished product.

What's a decent gaming monitor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

Is this too pricey? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N11QIYW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I have some gaffers interested in mine. Sold a lot of things on GAF. All were great transactions. On Ebay and other sites you have to deal with the obvious. Ebay is like a fraction of how good it use to be these days.

sleepnaught

I'm finally ready to upgrade from my i7 920 to the i7 7700k. I just need help finding a suitable motherboard. I don't need anything fancy with RGB lights or anything like that, just want it OC well, support 3200mhz ram, nvme etc Can I get a mobo, cpu, and ram for under 600?

liezryou

I'm finally ready to upgrade from my i7 920 to the i7 7700k. I just need help finding a suitable motherboard. I don't need anything fancy with RGB lights or anything like that, just want it OC well, support 3200mhz ram, nvme etc Can I get a mobo, cpu, and ram for under 600?

I wouldn't gimp out on a cheap motherboard. You can also save 30$ by waiting a few days until monoprice gets it's 7700k back in stock here. Or if you have a microcenter near you, you can save 70$ by buying a 7700k+mobo combo from them (40$ on cpu, 30$ on combo).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.69 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus PRIME Z270-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($158.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $618.45
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-07 01:19 EDT-0400

openrob

Hey guys, I wan to build a basic PC for my Mum.

Parts I have:
PSU
4GB RAM
HDD
DVD Drive

I need a CPU/MoBo (and obviously a case), but not sure what to go for. No GPU will be used.

The computer will be the basic internet, watching On Demand stuff, etc. I am so used to gaming setups so not sure what to do with building an underpowered PC lol.
Do I go for an AMD APU, Intel - I don't know!

Hey guys, I wan to build a basic PC for my Mum.

Parts I have:
PSU
4GB RAM
HDD
DVD Drive

I need a CPU/MoBo (and obviously a case), but not sure what to go for. No GPU will be used.

The computer will be the basic internet, watching On Demand stuff, etc. I am so used to gaming setups so not sure what to do with building an underpowered PC lol.
Do I go for an AMD APU, Intel - I don't know!
Is the RAM DDR3 or DDR4?

b0bbyJ03

hey all, just built a new pc and I used an old Windows 10 ISO that I've had since W10 launched. I just tried installing the Nvidia drivers for my 1080 and it says that its not compatible with my version of windows. Anyone had this issue? Any quick fixes?

hey all, just built a new pc and I used an old Windows 10 ISO that I've had since W10 launched. I just tried installing the Nvidia drivers for my 1080 and it says that its not compatible with my version of windows. Anyone had this issue? Any quick fixes?

You probably need the anniversary update.

openrob

Question there: How much does your mother use Netflix, and/or is there a cap on her internet?

Does your mom need 4K streaming?

No cap on her internet but nooooo she will not be doing 4K streaming. Mostly it will be UK on demand stuff, BBC iPlayer for example, facebook, Youtube, spotify, emails.
My mum probably thinks 4K is the local buis route haha

I just need something as cheap as possible without being exremely crap.

No cap on her internet but nooooo she will not be doing 4K streaming. Mostly it will be UK on demand stuff, BBC iPlayer for example, facebook, Youtube, spotify, emails.
My mum probably thinks 4K is the local buis route haha

I just need something as cheap as possible without being exremely crap.

In that case, you could probably pick up some secondhand parts from CEX or ebay, though you'd still need to find a motherboard to go with that - might be a bundle you can find around somewhere. The cheapest options while absolutely new would require buying DDR4 RAM.

openrob

In that case, you could probably pick up some secondhand parts from CEX or ebay, though you'd still need to find a motherboard to go with that - might be a bundle you can find around somewhere. The cheapest options while absolutely new would require buying DDR4 RAM.

Yeah that's why I'm asking for which bundle.
Do people recommend an AMD APU or an intel CPU if i wont have a graphics card.

Not sure of this is the best place to ask but I figured it'd worth a shot.

About a month ago my mother purchased a refurbished PC from Newegg. The problem is that once or twice a day, her screen will turn black but she can still see and move the cursor. After about 8-10 seconds, the cursor will visibly begin to lag but the screen remains black. Trying to open the task manager or powering off the PC without holding the button down doesn't work.

I've tried looking online but nothing so far has remedied it. Drivers and BIOS are up to date, so at this point I imagine it can only be the RAM or maybe even the video card.

Anyone have any clue what it could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Top Bottom