• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

GodofWine

Not sure of this is the best place to ask but I figured it'd worth a shot.

About a month ago my mother purchased a refurbished PC from Newegg. The problem is that once or twice a day, her screen will turn black but she can still see and move the cursor. After about 8-10 seconds, the cursor will visibly begin to lag but the screen remains black. Trying to open the task manager or powering off the PC without holding the button down doesn't work.

I've tried looking online but nothing so far has remedied it. Drivers and BIOS are up to date, so at this point I imagine it can only be the RAM or maybe even the video card.

Anyone have any clue what it could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

If it has a GPU, disable it, and see if the problem repeats on the integrated graphics. If it does, then Im clueless, if it doesn't, its your GPU (also check temps / clean it out, maybe its hitting a thermal limit?)

Exis

Okay my chip is showing up today and I am starting to put things together. Already stressing a bit so question for you fine folks.

I have the power supply plugged into the motherboard, but no CPU yet.. should I at least get power to turn on? Or is there something that would prevent the power supply from starting if not everything is present?

Vipu

Banned
1080 ti arrived. Have everything I need to put it together. Just missing certain peripherals and stuff for the room. Going to be a long weekend.

wiQclFs.jpg

I really have to ask, why spend that much money on screens but then get some speakers and headphones like that?

Edit: oh some wireless headphones, then im not sure but box having BASS BOOST tells enough already.

Okay my chip is showing up today and I am starting to put things together. Already stressing a bit so question for you fine folks.

I have the power supply plugged into the motherboard, but no CPU yet.. should I at least get power to turn on? Or is there something that would prevent the power supply from starting if not everything is present?

Pointless to do so as you won't even see the BIOS screen without a CPU.

Vipu

Banned
Im stunned, my old asus xonar pci soundcard is pretty old and new Z270 mobo have integrated soundcard.

I was a bit scared that I will hear difference that its worse but I cant, it might be even a bit better!

GodofWine

OK, am I crazy to do this...my kids want a PC for minecraft with mods (and Roblox and whatever, MC w/ mods is the topic here).

I want to build 'Dad's PC', but I don't want them getting it all dirty lol .

So, Im thinking, I saw a Dell optiflex with an older i7 (still above recommended spec for new games like PU Battlegrounds) for $329, refurbed. Can I just slap a 1050ti in it (it'll fit) and call it a gaming PC for kids? On paper it looks fairly decent, might even hold me over until I figure out wtf Im buying. PSU will likely be OK too, TDP should be 50W below the PSU.

TL:DR - Cheap Dell Tower with a older I7 (on woot.com now), with a 1050ti.

OK, am I crazy to do this...my kids want a PC for minecraft with mods (and Roblox and whatever, MC w/ mods is the topic here).

I want to build 'Dad's PC', but I don't want them getting it all dirty lol .

So, Im thinking, I saw a Dell optiflex with an older i7 (still above recommended spec for new games like PU Battlegrounds) for $329, refurbed. Can I just slap a 1050ti in it (it'll fit) and call it a gaming PC for kids? On paper it looks fairly decent, might even hold me over until I figure out wtf Im buying. PSU will likely be OK too, TDP should be 50W below the PSU.

TL:DR - Cheap Dell Tower with a older I7 (on woot.com now), with a 1050ti.

Link the source at least.

Oh wait, found it. i7-2600 should serve their purposes well enough. With a 1050 Ti it'll be comfortable at Medium and High settings for most games. Maybe buy an extra bit of RAM or more storage.

b0bbyJ03

anyone here with a 960 Evo try benchmarking via the Samsung magician software? if so, what kind of speeds did you get? I ran a benchmark and I got 1773 MB/s Read and 1292 MB/s Write. Does that sound right? I'm connected via M.2. Under random IOPS I see 392,388 Read and 247,192 Write

OmegaX06

After years of using an i5 2500k at stock I finally swapped it out with a 2600k and overclocked it modestly to 4.3ghz. The difference has been quite substantial and I got rid of all stuttering issues I had in BF1 and GTA V. I also replaced the stock cooler with a Cryorig H7.

After I sell the 2500k it will be an upgrade that only cost around $70 USD. Definitely worth it to me and it will keep me going until the 6-8 core Intel parts become mainstream. If anyone is in the same boat I'd recommend doing the same!

Again i don't know where you are getting this information that it is a noisy PSU. Try some reliable sites like techpowerup and jonnyguru and do your research before advising people incorrectly about PSUs.

Hey, bozo, I simply said it was something he should look into given that actual owners had mentioned it being loud on several sites. That's where I got the information as I already explained to you like three fucking times.

By the way, this was posted about G3 and G2 just in the past 3 days on EVGA Forums:

I have the 850W G3, and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. Eco Mode is useless - as stated by others, it's silent for 10 minutes or so, then the fan kicks in at a VERY high speed/noise level. And this is idling in Windows.

Eco mode off solves that, but the fan speed in non-eco mode is fast enough to be quite audible. It is easily the loudest thing in my case (given that my GPU is water cooled).

Own a 1000W G2 and find the fan is incredibly noisy on that model. Didn't realize how loud it is till I rebuilt my computer for silence. Before I had all the fans on blast. Half tempted to RMA to see if maybe it's the fan going bad. Sounds like the fan is grinding on itself. It has been running non-stop for the most part, and on its side in a 900D since July 2013 though. So it's possible it's gone bad.

All of it together is enough that I'd want to know about it before spending a decent amount on a PSU; that's why I mentioned it. No need to get pissy.

Switching gears:

For those of you who don't care about having an unlocked processor, the 7700 is available for $299 on Newegg with promo code EMCRERH22. Shipping is free.

Shit...

I bought my system over a few months since I was waiting for the 1080 Ti.

Did not really know what PC Part Picker was.

Now that I see it all listed, I feel a bit sick.

Damn it.

Izuna

Banned
I'm not sure if I'm right in this, but it seems that anything less than a 1080Ti is a waste.

the Founder's Edition Ti is £50 cheaper than it was last week on Alza.co.uk now

Sent the one I ordered back for a refund (since I can't order the rest of the parts until the end of the month), but I'm not sure if I'm even going to bother. I might just save and wait until closer to Quake Champion's release date

This means playing Nier on PS4 tho...

FinKL

So I'm out of the loop on AMD vs Intel on the CPU front.

I see from the OP that for multitasking/rendering you should consider Ryzen? What does rendering entail? I'm guessing general gaming is still in intel's favor?

So I'm out of the loop on AMD vs Intel on the CPU front.

I see from the OP that for for multitasking/rendering you should consider Ryzen? What does rendering entail? I'm guessing general gaming is still in intel's favor?

Rendering as in like, high detail model work I believe. Could also mean video editing and the like, and both are pretty applicable to be honest. It doesn't quite match Intel's biggest, beefiest, Broadwell-E processors, but it can come damned close while being much more affordable.

If your purposes are strictly gaming, then yes stick with intel (at least on the high end, R5's could prove interesting in the mid-range), but if you're wanting to use your PC as a workstation and be good enough to game in addition (this being applicable to streaming too), then Ryzen is definitely worth considering.

GodofWine

Link the source at least.

Oh wait, found it. i7-2600 should serve their purposes well enough. With a 1050 Ti it'll be comfortable at Medium and High settings for most games. Maybe buy an extra bit of RAM or more storage.

Yea, I figured taking the Ram to 16 would make a big improvement, and maybe a small SSD to take some burden of the HDD.

Yea, I figured taking the Ram to 16 would make a big improvement, and maybe a small SSD to take some burden of the HDD.

Well, the HDD will of course have the OS installed, though since it should be fresh, you might be able to clone it straight to an SSD without any issue.

Afrodium

Banned
I'm interested in overclocking my i5 6600k but I have a 212 Evo. Is there a recommended level to OC with this cooler or should I upgrade if I want to OC at all?

laxu

I'm interested in overclocking my i5 6600k but I have a 212 Evo. Is there a recommended level to OC with this cooler or should I upgrade if I want to OC at all?

Something beefier would be a good idea but you can try and see how far you get with your current one. I run my 6600K at 4.6 GHz with a Thermalright Macho Direct. Try something conservative like 4.2 or 4.3 GHz, run some test software and see how your cooler handles it.

Generally for gaming you won't get that much difference from a hundred MHz here and there.

klaas

Neo Member
I'm planning to build a machine for projection mapping based on Kinect2 sensor data.

I don't really know how much grunt this machine will need. I would like to start with something moderately powerful, which I would be able to upgrade painlessly if necessary.

So my starting point is:
Kinect requires Intel/Renesas USB3 controllers.
NVidia CUDA cores are a fun thing I'd like to play with - for this and other projects.
Small-ish form factor so I can transport it to and from an installation.

Which components are good bang for buck with an easy upgrade path if necessary?

This is what I've got worked out at the moment. If I've done anything stupid, please point and laugh!

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/HGv6d6

I'm planning to build a machine for projection mapping based on Kinect2 sensor data.

I don't really know how much grunt this machine will need. I would like to start with something moderately powerful, which I would be able to upgrade painlessly if necessary.

So my starting point is:
Kinect requires Intel/Renesas USB3 controllers.
NVidia CUDA cores are a fun thing I'd like to play with - for this and other projects.
Small-ish form factor so I can transport it to and from an installation.

Which components are good bang for buck with an easy upgrade path if necessary?

This is what I've got worked out at the moment. If I've done anything stupid, please point and laugh!

https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/HGv6d6

If you're going with a non-overclockable motherboard, would suggest going with an i7-7700 instead. Cheaper, and marginal difference in terms of performance I believe (not sure if that would align with Kinect usage, mind).

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
getting that Destiny 2 rig ready? or sticking to PS4?

As clan leader I cannot abandon my subjects. Without them I probably not play the game at all.

For the guy who is going to buy windows. I have an extra key so I'll give it to you. When you put together your build and everything let me know and I can give it to you. I ended buying a physical copy at a store anyway because I can't wait and deal with certain hassles.

Time to put together this new PC.

Kyne

As clan leader I cannot abandon my subjects. Without them I probably not play the game at all.

For the guy who is going to buy windows. I have an extra key so I'll give it to you. When you put together your build and everything let me know and I can give it to you. I ended buying a physical copy at a store anyway because I can't wait and deal with certain hassles.

Time to put together this new PC.

:x i was that guy seeking to buy a Windows 10 key. I'll hit you up once all my stuff comes in if you haven't given it away by then.

Big Chungus

hey guys, i'm buying myself an adjustable standing desk and need wireless mouse/keyboard recommendations...nothing too expensive just something thats reliable and OK with gaming

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Pag or Lian Li 07 users whatever how did you guys build yours?

So first put the processor into motherboard and ram then put it into the case and then add the other things?

Luke_Wal

I've been a console gamer all my life, and I think I'm ready to ditch my Xbox One (I also have a PS4 Pro and Switch, the two platforms with good non-PC exclusives) and build a PC. One problem: I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.

I do have a 4K TV, but I just know that building something that would work with that is out of my price range. How much would I be looking at for something to play games like XCOM 2 (with mods), indie games, Overwatch, and some non-graphically intense indie games at 1080/60? Is $600 reasonable? I would be starting completely from scratch - my current computer is a MacBook Pro, so I don't even have a copy of Windows to my name.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Pag or Lian Li 07 users whatever how did you guys build yours?

So first put the processor into motherboard and ram then put it into the case and then add the other things?

I don't have that case but I'd also recommend installing the M.2 ssd into the motherboard before putting the motherboard into the case... and also installing at least the bracket for the cpu cooler before putting it into the case.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4AqWQwbh8A
Good luck!

b0bbyJ03

What are normal 7700k temps while under load? I was playing mass effect and hitting temps ask high as 76. I've got an h100 connected to it and I had a hard time removing the thermal paste from my old CPU (this is a new build) so I left a very small amount on there before I applied the new paste. I'm think that is what is causing these temps.

Celcius

°Temp. member
What are normal 7700k temps while under load? I was playing mass effect and hitting temps ask high as 76. I've got an h100 connected to it and I had a hard time removing the thermal paste from my old CPU (this is a new build) so I left a very small amount on there before I applied the new paste. I'm think that is what is causing these temps.

Is your cpu overclocked? At 4.7ghz & 1.28v I think I was running in the low 70s in BF1 (with a noctua nh-d14).
Also, is your videocard reference (blows heat out the back of the case) or non-reference (has multiple fans and dumps the heat inside the case)?
Personally I'd be sure to remove all of the old thermal paste before putting the new paste on though. Rubbing alcohol can help to remove it.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
This is really the hardest case to build up. Every video I've seen of it has said it. I like picked the hardest difficulty setting from the get on. There are billions of screws and stuff. I wouldn't say it's hard but it requires tons of time. I've made progress though.

Installing two sticks of ram into the second and fourth slot they say.

b0bbyJ03

Is your cpu overclocked? At 4.7ghz & 1.28v I think I was running in the low 70s in BF1 (with a noctua nh-d14).
Also, is your videocard reference (blows heat out the back of the case) or non-reference (has multiple fans and dumps the heat inside the case)?
Personally I'd be sure to remove all of the old thermal paste before putting the new paste on though. Rubbing alcohol can help to remove it.

I did something so stupid that I almost wanna smack myself. haha. I had all he fans blowing backwards. They were all blowing the air back into the case. LMAO. Im in the low 50s now.

Kyne

This is really the hardest case to build up. Every video I've seen of it has said it. I like picked the hardest difficulty setting from the get on. There are billions of screws and stuff. I wouldn't say it's hard but it requires tons of time. I've made progress though.

looks like your going for a white color scheme. what case did you end up going with?

23qwerty

Just looking to get a quick thought on a potential PSU issue.

A while back there was a possible power surge that might have damaged my PSU? I had a gtx1080 connected to it and then it started crashing shortly after boot every time, can't remember what the bsod error code was right now. I swapped my 970 into it and it works fine now. The 1080 works fine in my other computer. Is it possible for a power surge to damage a PSU and reduce it's capacity but otherwise work?

original PSU capacity is 550w, the other computer has a 500w one

edit: the error was Video_Scheduler_Internal_Error

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Way too tired to continue. I think I'm a little more than halfway. The real work is dismantling old setup, rearranging new room, etc.

I like how it's turning out but god I haven't seen so many screws and little stuff in my life. It's like, let me put this there, nope, have to unscrew something first times 9999. It's going to be nice when I'm done. If I put it together correctly that is

LilJoka

Take your time to read the manual for the case, that should make it easier to plan.
Generally I install the IO shield
Install CPU and ram on the board.
Install CPU cooler backplate
Install CPU cooler (air)
Drop board into case
Install the PSU and drives
Install GPU
Wire up
Re wire
Take things out
Re wire
Re install bits
Wire up
Lol

Generally I leave things loose so I can cable manage more creatively.
Like hiding wires below the motherboard, I don't do up all the motherboard screws so I can lift things up for some wiring room.
Don't do up the PSU screws till the end.

And yes no case is hard to build in, some cases just take a bit more time to get it right.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I've been a console gamer all my life, and I think I'm ready to ditch my Xbox One (I also have a PS4 Pro and Switch, the two platforms with good non-PC exclusives) and build a PC. One problem: I have no idea what I'm getting myself into.

I do have a 4K TV, but I just know that building something that would work with that is out of my price range. How much would I be looking at for something to play games like XCOM 2 (with mods), indie games, Overwatch, and some non-graphically intense indie games at 1080/60? Is $600 reasonable? I would be starting completely from scratch - my current computer is a MacBook Pro, so I don't even have a copy of Windows to my name.

The "good" build in the OP should be a solid starting point

Also if you're content with 30fps, playable 4k becomes a LOT more accessible than you'd think

Mad Max

so whats the chances of AMD fixing the DDR4 problems with high speed ram ?

With the latest BIOS the more expensive mobos (asus crosshair, asrock taichi, gigabyte k7, msi xpower) work fine up to 3600MHz with 2 sticks now, as long as its single rank. So I'd say it's very likely.

Mr Swine

Banned
So I'm tempted to upgrade my PC now after going back and forth which type of mirrorless camera I want to buy (X-T20) So I have money over to buy a brand spanking new PC (Yay).

I was interested in the 7700k but since AMD new CPU is looking good with all the bios updates that make it a bit faster and so, I was thinking of going with that instead.

So naturally my questions are:

1. I want my system to last 3-4 years like my old aging i5 3570k has done. Is the 1800x a good choice? Should I go with the 1700x or 1700 instead?

2. If so what type of memory should I buy? 3200 or above? Will future bios update support faster memory?

3. Is the MSI 350b motherboards good if I'm going with a single GPU?

4. Will a Noctua cooler cool it down enough?

5. How hard is it to manually overclock the CPU? I have not done any form of OC on my PC

Do I have to worry about airflow issues when putting a large custom aircooler like the Noctua NH-D15 in an ITX case? (In this case, the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv)

Do I have to worry about airflow issues when putting a large custom aircooler like the Noctua NH-D15 in an ITX case? (In this case, the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv)

A D-15 on an ITX board is a bad idea, though not because of airflow. My D-15 blocks off access to the first PCI-E slot on my board, and while that isn't a big problem for me since it's a full ATX board and it's just an x1 slot, on an ITX board that'd make installing a video card infeasable since you only have that first slot for it.

Izuna

Banned
I couldn't believe it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LZ1MIO6/

This is a laptop worth £1800, that is selling for £660. I emailed the sellers and looked up online and apparently, apart from a small power draw issue (and loud fans), it's really selling for this much.

tl;dr, Nvidia's Pascal line performs almost the same on a laptop as it does on a Desktop, so this will run like a £800 custom built PC

if I return the laptop I have now, I essentially get it for £360 on top of a refund.

~~

I'll let you guys know if there aren't any issues, otherwise I'll likely be hooking this up to a screen for Nier and Quake Champions, running with everything on high for 1080p

I couldn't believe it

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01LZ1MIO6/

This is a laptop worth £1800, that is selling for £660. I emailed the sellers and looked up online and apparently, apart from a small power draw issue (and loud fans), it's really selling for this much.

tl;dr, Nvidia's Pascal line performs almost the same on a laptop as it does on a Desktop, so this will run like a £800 custom built PC

if I return the laptop I have now, I essentially get it for £360 on top of a refund.

~~

I'll let you guys know if there aren't any issues, otherwise I'll likely be hooking this up to a screen for Nier and Quake Champions, running with everything on high for 1080p

Must have been snapped up quick, because the cheapest of all the sellers on all the options is at over £1000 for me.

Izuna

Banned
Must have been snapped up quick, because the cheapest of all the sellers on all the options is at over £1000 for me.

Yeah, I ordered the last one!

I was looking at the page for like a few hours before going for it. Now I'm eagerly waiting to be proven that it's too good to be true.

7Naurv4.png

Special Price because we have a stock liquidation and this unit was resealed - the item is New, original box - sealed, never used, not scratches or any problems.The tracking number will be available in the next 24 hours.

Many Thanks!

A D-15 on an ITX board is a bad idea, though not because of airflow. My D-15 blocks off access to the first PCI-E slot on my board, and while that isn't a big problem for me since it's a full ATX board and it's just an x1 slot, on an ITX board that'd make installing a video card infeasable since you only have that first slot for it.

Getting a NH-D15S should solve that problem I guess? I seem to recall they specifically offset the heatsinks to no longer block the top PCI-E slot, though I don't know if that's the case for ITX boards as well.

If that doesn't work I could always go with something like a NH-U14S.

LilJoka

Getting a NH-D15S should solve that problem I guess? I seem to recall they specifically offset the heatsinks to no longer block the top PCI-E slot, though I don't know if that's the case for ITX boards as well.

If that doesn't work I could always go with something like a NH-U14S.

It depends on the board, some won't have the slot blocked. U14S is what I went with in my ITX build. Get the biggest cooler you can fit either way.

Top Bottom