• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Vipu

Banned
So I'm tempted to upgrade my PC now after going back and forth which type of mirrorless camera I want to buy (X-T20) So I have money over to buy a brand spanking new PC (Yay).

I was interested in the 7700k but since AMD new CPU is looking good with all the bios updates that make it a bit faster and so, I was thinking of going with that instead.

So naturally my questions are:

1. I want my system to last 3-4 years like my old aging i5 3570k has done. Is the 1800x a good choice? Should I go with the 1700x or 1700 instead?

2. If so what type of memory should I buy? 3200 or above? Will future bios update support faster memory?

3. Is the MSI 350b motherboards good if I'm going with a single GPU?

4. Will a Noctua cooler cool it down enough?

5. How hard is it to manually overclock the CPU? I have not done any form of OC on my PC

1700 if you can overclock by ourself, 1700x or 1800x if you cant.

I'm replacing SLI 980tis with a single 1080ti. At this day and age, is it recommended to uninstall the nvidia drivers before installing the new card and reinstalling the drivers or should it be fine to just replace the hardware with the current installation?

Nokterian

This will be my new PC..also i am letting it build..sure i can do it on my own but these days i don't have the time for it. Take a wild guess in the total price in euro's, i will be waiting ;)

Corsair Crystal 460X ATX Black Window
Asus STRIX X99 GAMING, 2011-3, X99, ATX
Intel Core i7-6900K, 3,2GHz, S2011-3, Excl. Cooler
Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240
Samsung 960 EVO SSD 500GB M.2
Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti, 11GB, Strix OC
2xG.Skill Trident Z 16GB(2x8GB), 3400Mhz, CL16
Creative Sound Blaster ZX
Microsoft Windows 10 Home licentie
WD Black 4TB 7200rpm 128MB SATA3
Corsair AF140, 140mm, 1200rpm, Red
Asus BW16D1HT/B, BD Read/BD Write
Be Quiet! Power Zone 750W

LordAlu

I'm replacing SLI 980tis with a single 1080ti. At this day and age, is it recommended to uninstall the nvidia drivers before installing the new card and reinstalling the drivers or should it be fine to just replace the hardware with the current installation?
You can just change the cards, no need to reinstall drivers.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Day two beginning soon. I have to run to Lowe's because I need a certain screw driver. This thing is like a billion times harder without a magnetic screw driver. Even my small hands can't fit into the tiny spaces.

Iced

I am trying to get my PC to show up on my tv going through an active HDMI switcher, but the TV won't detect my PC unless I have my PS3 on (also on the same HDMI switcher). Any ideas? Sony Bravia tv, EVGA 1070 FTW GPU.

Luke_Wal

The "good" build in the OP should be a solid starting point

Also if you're content with 30fps, playable 4k becomes a LOT more accessible than you'd think

Would I really be good with an i3? I've never built a PC or before or really know anything more about it than listening to the Bombcast and Rebel FM, but I remember when buying my MacBook (mid- 2015 model) that i7 was really important. I'm strictly going to be using this for gaming, and my MacBook for everything else (audio editing, primarily, because I edit a lot of podcasts) - would i3 be enough for me if 1080/60 is my goal?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Day two beginning soon. I have to run to Lowe's because I need a certain screw driver. This thing is like a billion times harder without a magnetic screw driver. Even my small hands can't fit into the tiny spaces.

I use a magnetic screw driver myself, definitely a good investment.

Would I really be good with an i3? I've never built a PC or before or really know anything more about it than listening to the Bombcast and Rebel FM, but I remember when buying my MacBook (mid- 2015 model) that i7 was really important. I'm strictly going to be using this for gaming, and my MacBook for everything else (audio editing, primarily, because I edit a lot of podcasts) - would i3 be enough for me if 1080/60 is my goal?

If you plan on gaming then personally I'd highly recommend stepping up to at least an i5. I wouldn't put dual-core processor in a gaming pc in 2017. Later you'll be glad to spent a little bit more. If you live new a Microcenter then you should be able to get a great deal on the cpu.

Pachimari

So if I want to upgrade my CPU for performance in my games and I have an Intel i5 4670K 4C/4T, should I upgrade to an Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2 GHz 4C/8T? But they I see stuff like this being more expensive so I am assuming it's better at something: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3 GHz 6C/12T. What does the "XXXXK" mean, and what does cores and threads do?

Celcius

°Temp. member
So if I want to upgrade my CPU for performance in my games and I have an Intel i5 4670K 4C/4T, should I upgrade to an Intel Core i7 7700K 4.2 GHz 4C/8T? But they I see stuff like this being more expensive so I am assuming it's better at something: Intel Core i7 5820K 3.3 GHz 6C/12T. What does the "XXXXK" mean, and what does cores and threads do?

If you want to upgrade and mainly just use your rig for gaming then the 7700k is the best gaming cpu on the market at the moment.

The "XXXXK" is the model number of the cpu, the details are specified here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html
BaWyjam.png
PK3za9n.png

A "core" is a processor and a multi-core processor has multiple processors in the same cpu die (the chip that you physically hold in your hands is actually multiple processors in one package). Hyperthreading (HT) or Simultaneous MultiThreading (SMT) is when the cpu has additional registers and bits so that it can trick the operating system into thinking that it has twice as many cores as it actually does and a core can use those additional registers & bits to improve performance when doing multiple things as once. It's still not the same as actually having double the physical cores but it can improve performance in multithreaded applications. You can find more information here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnS50lJicXc

The 5820k is a 6-core, 12-thread cpu, but it released back in 2014 and:
A. It's an older architecture so at the same clockspeed it would perform worse per-thread than a new cpu like the 7700k. (meaning single-threaded applications would perform worse with both cpu's running at the same speed)
B. It has more cores and threads than the 7700k so it would perform better in highly-threaded applications like video encoding, but most games these days benefit more from the higher clock speed of the 7700k than the 2 additional cores of the 5820k. If you were not going to be gaming but instead doing something more highly multithreaded then I'd recommend looking into AMD's new Ryzen 7 cpus instead of the older 5820k.
C. Because it has more cores, it produces more heat and so it can't overclock as high as the 4-core unlocked cpus like the 7700k. Even if you don't overclock the 7700k has a significant speed advantage.
D. The 5820k will have more pci-express lanes, but unless you run SLI (multiple videocards) then this is no big deal.
E. Because the 5820k is an older architecture, it uses an older motherboard socket and chipset (x99) so there may be newer features in the z270 chipset that a 7700k uses that you may want.

Pachimari

If you want to upgrade and mainly just use your rig for gaming then the 7700k is the best gaming cpu on the market at the moment.

The "XXXXK" is the model number of the cpu, the details are specified here: http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/processors/processor-numbers.html
BaWyjam.png
PK3za9n.png

A "core" is a processor and a multi-core processor has multiple cores in the same cpu die (the processor that you hold in your hands is actually multiple processors in one package). Hyperthreading (HT) or Simultaneous MultiThreading (SMT) is when the cpu has additional registers and bits so that it can trick the operating system into thinking that it has twice as many cores as it actually does and a core can use those additional registers & bits to improve performance when doing multiple things as once. It's still not the same as actually having double the physical cores but it can improve performance in multithreaded applications. You can find more information here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnS50lJicXc

The 5820k is a 6-core, 12-thread cpu, but it release back in 2014 and:
A. It's an older architecture so at the same clockspeed it would perform worse per-thread than a new cpu like the 7700k.
B. It has more cores and threads than the 7700k so it would perform better in highly-threaded applications like video rendering, but most games these days benefit more from the higher clock speed of the 7700k then the 2 additional cores of the 5820k. If you were not going to be gaming but instead doing something like that then I'd recommend looking into AMD's new Ryzen 7 cpus instead of the older 5820k.
C. Because it has more cores, it produces more heat and so it can't overclock as high as the 4-core unlocked cpus like the 7700k.
D. The 5820k will have more pci-express lanes, but unless you run SLI (multiple videocards) then this isn't a big deal.
E. Because the 5820k is an older architecture, it uses an older motherboard socket and chipset (x99) so there may be newer features in the z270 chipset that a 7700k uses that you may want.
Wow, this was thorough. It makes a lot of sense actually. Thanks for the explanation.

LilJoka

Wow, this was thorough. It makes a lot of sense actually. Thanks for the explanation.

To add, the socket 2011 CPUs such as the 5820k, use the architecture of the gen implied previous to it. So the 5820k uses 4xxx architecture - ie its a Haswell chip like the one you own. Essentially its the same CPU as you own but more cores+threads. If you turned those cores+threads off, and ran it at the same speed as your chip, itll perform identically. So these enthusiast chips (Intel 6 core+) are always a gen behind the mainstream chips. Or as we say, it has the same instructions per clock as the implied gen behind.

Things like emulation and games that dont use as many cores will want high instructions per clock, which means you want the latest architecture. Things like CAD or Video editing will get more gains from more cores+threads.

For gaming today, the mainstream chips that are 4 core or 4core 8 threads (hyperthreaded) are more than enough.

komaruR

This will be my new PC..also i am letting it build..sure i can do it on my own but these days i don't have the time for it. Take a wild guess in the total price in euro's, i will be waiting ;)

Quick glimpse ~$3500 usd partwise??? Probably gonna cost you $4200 usd. I dunno the Euro conversion rate! Halp!

I noticed earlier you bought PG279Q's, did you get a chance to try them out yet? I just got the 278Q but I'm not really satisfied with the TN panel, thinking of switching for a 279Q.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Motherboard installed into case
Ram into motherboard
CPU and cooling into motherboard
GPU into motherboard
PSU into case
M.2 into motherboard
Extra HDD into case

I'm pretty much done. Now I have to put the case back together and this is the hard part for me. Figuring out what cables I need to plug into PSU and motherboard. It's modular.

Motherboard installed into case
Ram into motherboard
CPU and cooling into motherboard
GPU into motherboard
PSU into case
M.2 into motherboard
Extra HDD into case

I'm pretty much done. Now I have to put the case back together and this is the hard part for me. Figuring out what cables I need to plug into PSU and motherboard. It's modular.

You're not done until the cable management is.

Smokey

Nice. Beast of a system.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Does Kaby Lake run hot or something? My 7700k at 4.8 Ghz is idling around 33, 34 degrees C. Hits upward of 80 and even close to 90 when gaming/stress testing. I'm using an ASRock Z270M Pro4 board and an h100i v2.

I just re-applied thermal paste and temps are about the same. Maybe I clocked it too high?

Arc07

Does Kaby Lake run hot or something? My 7700k at 4.8 Ghz is idling around 33, 34 degrees C. Hits upward of 80 and even close to 90 when gaming/stress testing. I'm using an ASRock Z270M Pro4 board and an h100i v2.

I just re-applied thermal paste and temps are about the same. Maybe I clocked it too high?
Time to delid.

Fracas

#fuckonami
Time to delid.

I have no idea what I'm doing

edit: I forgot silicon lottery exists. How does it work? I just send them the CPU to delid and then I can re-install it like a stock CPU? I've never messed with this before but the gains seem insane

Arc07

edit: I forgot silicon lottery exists. How does it work? I just send them the CPU to delid and then I can re-install it like a stock CPU? I've never messed with this before but the gains seem insane

I picked up a Rockit 88 and followed the instructions in this video and it lowered the temps of my 6700K by ~15 degrees.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I picked up a Rockit 88 and followed the instructions in this video and it lowered the temps of my 6700K by ~15 degrees.

I dunno if I trust myself enough to handle it. The $50 that silicon lottery charges seems pretty fair compared to the equipment I'd need to do it myself. If I can just send my 7700k to them then chuck it back in my system for better temps then I'm definitely in

nightmare-slain

Gold Member

delidding involves removing the heat spreader. personally i would never risk it. if you mess it up then you're pretty much out of luck with a useless CPU. intel ought to just use better paste.

you can send it off to somewhere for them to delid it. it might offer some kind of insurance or you can buy a tool and DIY.

personally I'd just go with Skylake. you can get good clockspeeds with them and the performance isn't that big a difference. IPC is the same. the only reason Kabylake is faster is because the clockspeed can go higher. realistically you're not gonna notice much a difference between 4.5-4.7 and 5.0Ghz. 5.0Ghz is just a nice number that people want to achieve and if they can't they feel ripped off. running at 4.7/4.8 isn't a huge difference between running at 5.0Ghz.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Good thing the cords are labeled.

GPU to PSU.
CPU to PSU.
Motherboard to PSU.
HDD to PSU.

The case has cords. Where do I connect those to? Says led stuff. I guess led for the power switch, etc.
u0th5Bp.jpghttp:

GPU to PSU.
CPU to PSU.
Motherboard to PSU.
HDD to PSU.

The case has cords. Where do I connect those to? Says led stuff. I guess led for the power switch, etc.

The case should have a little manual with it that'll explain it. If not check their website?

nightmare-slain

Gold Member

GPU to PSU.
CPU to PSU.
Motherboard to PSU.
HDD to PSU.

u0th5Bp.jpghttp:

those 2 blues look like USB and the other looks like audio.

Izuna

Banned

GPU to PSU.
CPU to PSU.
Motherboard to PSU.
HDD to PSU.

u0th5Bp.jpghttp:

Please read the manual

So many people mess up the front ports

Vipu

Banned
Please read the manual

So many people mess up the front ports

I wish manual said something, there is like 3 different usb2 slots in my mobo for usb2 things, they are all different and manual just says some gibbrish.
It says 1 slot is for USB1314 and 2 slots are for USB910 and USB1112.
So where should I put my frontusb thing?

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
I think I got it. The USB ones can only go into two places. The audio one is labeled. The six mini ones that say led stuff on it looks like it goes into connectors on the top right.

Now for cable management and finishing touches. Still have to connect led stuff from motherboard box.

Aklavine

Neo Member
Hey guys I want to upgrade my CPU to Ryzen 7.

My current specs are;

ASRock H97M Pro4
Antec NeoECO C NeoECO 620C
Zotac GTX 1060
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB DDR3
I5 4460

Questions; I do realize I have to upgrade my motherboard but I was wondering what would be a good one for that CPU. Also, should I upgrade my RAM to DDR4 and power supply? Lastly, should I get Windows 10 instead of 7?

I dunno if I trust myself enough to handle it. The $50 that silicon lottery charges seems pretty fair compared to the equipment I'd need to do it myself. If I can just send my 7700k to them then chuck it back in my system for better temps then I'm definitely in

The tool costs $30 bucks and is absolutely idiot-proof. Watch a video. If you're afraid of placing a cpu in a block of plastic and then tightening some allen screws, you have bigger problems than cpu temperatures.

Celcius

°Temp. member

Lot's of people seem to be asking that this weekend... hopefully Intel can improve things next gen.

I think I got it. The USB ones can only go into two places. The audio one is labeled. The six mini ones that say led stuff on it looks like it goes into connectors on the top right.

Now for cable management and finishing touches. Still have to connect led stuff from motherboard box.

The small cables coming from the case that say "something led" are for the front panel connectors (power button switch, power led, hdd led, reset switch, case speaker, etc...):
yB8sT2U.png
(page 38 of the motherboard manual)
They plug into the JFP 1&2 connectors at the bottom of the motherboard circled in red above.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Done :)

Yeah I had to read the manual for the last bit. 99% sure everything is good now.

Now the annoying part. Have to dismantle old setup. Rearrange room. Install a billion things into new PC, etc.

kuYuri

Done :)

Yeah I had to read the manual for the last bit. 99% sure everything is good now.

Now the annoying part. Have to dismantle old setup. Rearrange room. Install a billion things into new PC, etc.

ninite.com

It saves you some time!

Vipu

Banned
Lot's of people seem to be asking that this weekend... hopefully Intel can improve things next gen.

But why would they?

People will keep buying their cpu:s no matter what they put there.
They just make more $ if people delid and break their cpu.

looking for some advice, i've got:
i5 4690k @ 4 ghz
16 GB DDR3 RAM (2600 Mhz I think, can't remember... it's g skill ripjaws)
1080 ti (Gigabyte Aorus - just installed today)

i figure i will bottleneck the 1080 ti in certain cases (hitman is doing this for example, etc...). If you were in my shoes would you:
1) try to find a used 4790k to upgrade to as a stop gap, wait to see intels response to Ryzen and get whatever is better
2) bite the bullet and upgrade to a 7700k now

I'm playing at 4k/60, so no need for higher frame rates then that

Thanks!

looking for some advice, i've got:
i5 4690k @ 4 ghz
16 GB DDR3 RAM (2600 Mhz I think, can't remember... it's g skill ripjaws)
1080 ti (Gigabyte Aorus - just installed today)

i figure i will bottleneck the 1080 ti in certain cases (hitman is doing this for example, etc...). If you were in my shoes would you:
1) try to find a used 4790k to upgrade to as a stop gap, wait to see intels response to Ryzen and get whatever is better
2) bite the bullet and upgrade to a 7700k now

I'm playing at 4k/60, so no need for higher frame rates then that

Thanks!

Get the 7700.

Top Bottom