• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

In my original post I simply said "I'd consider it", not "this is the only option", as brawly mentioned that it was only for playing ps3-era games and older at 1080p. It sounded like he might even have a dedicated retro machine. When I said $150 "or less", ideally I was thinking possibly "less" than that, which was significantly lower than I was seeing for newer cards purchasable. I did not see the rx 470 for $150 (again, which shows as sold out for me). I merely meant to suggest that sometimes buying a powerful older card can be an option as well depending on the situation and price.

Yes, if he can get a newer card for a similar price then that would definitely be the better option, regardless of what types of games he plans to play.

I didn't mean to start an argument. This is the last I'll say about it guys, let's move on.

That's fine everyone has their own opinion :)

Weevilone

So what about real world benefits? You lost your warranty but did it translate to better overclocking or lower noise? I get that it is now really easy to do but I don't feel my 6600K @ 4.6 GHz runs that hot or noisy at stock and being able to tack on a few hundred MHz more won't do anything for gaming purposes.

There are plenty of 7700k's that would run 5.0+ if they didn't get so hot. If you don't care about a few hundred more MHz then no, you wouldn't want to do it.

So, I have a question for wise NeoGAF PC sages.

About a year ago I built my first gaming PC, and its treated me pretty well
except for the fact that I only ever play Overwatch in the thing, which is kind of ridiculous considering how much I spent on it.
. I had tons of fun specing it out and building it, and the whole process was a lot easier than I had expect. However, I've grown increasingly frustrated with my choice in case, the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX.

While it looks very nice, and was easy to assemble in, it's just too damn big for my desk, and too damn big considering I have a pretty standard/simple configuration. So I've been on the hunt for a sleek, elegant ITX case made from similarly high end materials as the Evolv ATX (love me dat galaxy silver aluminum). I've found a few contenders, like Dr. Saber's Sentry and the Dan ITX case, but neither is currently available for purchase at this time. Eventually through my search, I was lead to to the NCASE M1, which looked to fit the bill pretty well. Sure, it's not as small as the other cases I was eyeballing, but the additional size allows for installation of my 240mm CPU liquid cooler and a few additional fans. And in the end, 12L, while larger than the 7L volume of the Sentey and Dan case, is still pretty small.

Late last night (bout 2 AM), in hazy, blurry eyed whirlwind or imprudent behavior, I said screw it to my finances, and bought the M1, which came out to about $240 (with shipping). Now, in the light of a new day, and in a slightly more lucid state, I'm starting to have second thoughts. My question is this, especially to anyone who actually had the M1, is the case actually worth the price. Build quality, performance , etc. I have no problem paying for quality, but I want some opinions as to if this case is quality.

Thank you, and sorry for rambling.

So, I have a question for wise NeoGAF PC sages.

About a year ago I built my first gaming PC, and its treated me pretty well
except for the fact that I only ever play Overwatch in the thing, which is kind of ridiculous considering how much I spent on it.
. I had tons of fun specing it out and building it, and the whole process was a lot easier than I had expect. However, I've grown increasingly frustrated with my choice in case, the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX.

While it looks very nice, and was easy to assemble in, it's just too damn big for my desk, and too damn big considering I have a pretty standard/simple configuration. So I've been on the hunt for a sleek, elegant ITX case made from similarly high end materials as the Evolv ATX (love me dat galaxy silver aluminum). I've found a few contenders, like Dr. Saber's Sentry and the Dan ITX case, but neither is currently available for purchase at this time. Eventually through my search, I was lead to to the NCASE M1, which looked to fit the bill pretty well. Sure, it's not as small as the other cases I was eyeballing, but the additional size allows for installation of my 240mm CPU liquid cooler and a few additional fans. And in the end, 12L, while larger than the 7L volume of the Sentey and Dan case, is still pretty small.

Late last night (bout 2 AM), in hazy, blurry eyed whirlwind or imprudent behavior, I said screw it to my finances, and bought the M1, which came out to about $240 (with shipping). Now, in the light of a new day, and in a slightly more lucid state, I'm starting to have second thoughts. My question is this, especially to anyone who actually had the M1, is the case actually worth the price. Build quality, performance , etc. I have no problem paying for quality, but I want some opinions as to if this case is quality.

Thank you, and sorry for rambling.

The lack of noise mitigation and filtration are not worth the novelty of its dimensions.

Momentary

Banned
So I'm getting ready to stary my Vega and Volta builds. I'm pretty much done with big cases, but I'm a little iffy on how to go about cooling components off in small form factor cases. Hopefully there are some sort of new cooling solutions coming within the year for ITX builders. Everything I've seen so far is not very good... Especially if you want to do a bit of overclocking. Has anyone seen anything out there that I'm missing? Are there custom premium cooling companies out there that I don't know about? I'm really trying to pull myself away from bigger cases, but also means I can't watercool. Especially in console sized ITX cases. This is what I'm working with:

32479835762_487c33116b_h.jpg

source.gif

(2nd pic isn't mine. It's from the Sentry Indiegogo campaign. Still waiting for it to be shipped.)

LilJoka

So I'm getting ready to stary my Vega and Volta builds. I'm pretty much done with big cases, but I'm a little iffy on how to go about cooling components off in small form factor cases. Hopefully there are some sort of new cooling solutions coming within the year for ITX builders. Everything I've seen so far is not very good... Especially if you want to do a bit of overclocking. Has anyone seen anything out there that I'm missing? Are there custom premium cooling companies out there that I don't know about? I'm really trying to pull myself away from bigger cases, but also means I can't watercool. Especially in console sized ITX cases. This is what I'm working with:

(2nd pic isn't mine. It's from the Sentry Indiegogo campaign. Still waiting for it to be shipped.)

You'll just have to look at the very low profile coolers from the like of noctua, scythe. And go for the lower TDP CPUs. A delid would be good to squeeze some more out.
ITX is definitely a good way forwards and a bit more fun to build and configure/perfect.

Have you thought about slightly larger cases like the RVZ02?

Momentary

Banned
You'll just have to look at the very low profile coolers from the like of noctua, scythe. And go for the lower TDP CPUs. A delid would be good to squeeze some more out.
ITX is definitely a good way forwards and a bit more fun to build and configure/perfect.

Have you thought about slightly larger cases like the RVZ02?

I've already purchased these 2. The smallest one at the top won't be an issue since I'll be probably do a low end Ryzen / Vega build which will have lower TDP. The second case is a little bigger and I'm wanting to turn it into a complete beast. I'll probably look at a Volta Titan and Kaby Lake-X. I was hoping if there were some cooling solutions people knew about that I didn't know about. I would probably nab a Noctua since that seems to have the best numbers from what I've read.

I think the GPU with a partner card cooler (If Nvidia allows it this time around for Titans... which they probably won't) will be fine, but I'm not comfortable with seeing temps above, 60C, but I understand that on air cards can get up to 90C... Which sounds horrifying to me, but I'll just have to get used to it.

Also I too scared to delid, but I might give it a go since there seem to be some tools out there that make it easier. I've also heard that it's just not worth it. But this was about a year ago when I looked into it.

Hi gaf i was wondering how can i overclock my cpu
my specs
cpu: intel i5 4670-k 3.4Ghz
cpu cooler: Corsair Hydro Series High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler H60
motherboard: asus z87-k
gpu: GTX 1050ti sc gaming 4gb
psu: allied AL-D500EXP 500W

nooby here.i really want to overclock my cpu but dont know how :/ i tried to find videos but i can never find a video like my setup.

LilJoka

I've already purchased these 2. The smallest one at the top won't be an issue since I'll be probably do a low end Ryzen / Vega build which will have lower TDP. The second case is a little bigger and I'm wanting to turn it into a complete beast. I'll probably look at a Volta Titan and Kaby Lake-X. I was hoping if there were some cooling solutions people knew about that I didn't know about. I would probably nab a Noctua since that seems to have the best numbers from what I've read.

I think the GPU with a partner card cooler (If Nvidia allows it this time around for Titans... which they probably won't) will be fine, but I'm not comfortable with seeing temps above, 60C, but I understand that on air cards can get up to 90C... Which sounds horrifying to me, but I'll just have to get used to it.

Also I too scared to delid, but I might give it a go since there seem to be some tools out there that make it easier. I've also heard that it's just not worth it. But this was about a year ago when I looked into it.

Delid is always worth it, moreso in an ITX box. Everything little gain adds up.

GPU temps shouldn't go over 75-80c for nvidia. The temp limit can be used to have the card throttle itself to prevent going higher.

You are looking to have an i7 and Titan in this then? It should be possible I'd say.

I think the GPU with a partner card cooler (If Nvidia allows it this time around for Titans... which they probably won't) will be fine, but I'm not comfortable with seeing temps above, 60C,

What you are currently comfortable with is preventing you from getting the performance you're paying a premium for. Find better information sources.

Momentary

Banned
What you are currently comfortable with is preventing you from getting the performance you're paying a premium for. Find better information sources.

I comfortable now because my CPU and card are in a custom loop and don't see temps above 60C they usually sit around 40-55 depending on what game I'm playing. That's heavily overclocked. My i7 6850 is at 4.4ghz and the Xp is at 2088mhz. So... for me to get those same numbers I'm going to be producing a lot more heat.

My information sources are good, I'm just not used to seeing a CPU or GPU breaking 70C even though I KNOW it's normal. I know that delidding lowers temps a little, but it's not a drastic change. But I guess when dealing with an ITX build, every little degree counts. I'll also apply a different compound to the GPU and probably replace all the thermal pads with something a little better as well.

As for the Titan, the only thing outside of blocks to replace the shroud, are AIO coolers that won't fit in my ITX cases. But from my understanding blower style coolers are best for small enclosures.

LilJoka

I comfortable now because my CPU and card are in a custom loop and don't see temps above 60C they usually sit around 40-55 depending on what game I'm playing. That's heavily overclocked. My i7 6850 is at 4.4ghz and the Xp is at 2088mhz. So... for me to get those same numbers I'm going to be producing a lot more heat.

My information sources are good, I'm just not used to seeing a CPU or GPU breaking 70C even though I KNOW it's normal. I know that delidding lowers temps a little, but it's not a drastic change. But I guess when dealing with an ITX build, every little degree counts. I'll also apply a different compound to the GPU and probably replace all the thermal pads with something a little better as well.

As for the Titan, the only thing outside of blocks to replace the shroud, are AIO coolers that won't fit in my ITX cases. But from my understanding blower style coolers are best for small enclosures.

Delid can result in up to 20c drop depending on how bad the IHS to die contact was. A minimum would be 10c. You also get less temp spiking which can cause fans to spin up and down just web browsing.

Blower style will be better in this type of case where the air flow in the case is very minimal.
Larger ITX cases can work with aftermarket GPU coolers. Negative pressure could help with a aftermarket cooler in such a small case though, ie just an exhaust flow if fan mounting is a luxury.

Wouldn't bother with GPU TIM and Thermal pad replacement.

Edit
You are actually downsizing existing rig to ITX? Then new GPU TIM and thermal pads would be good. And just go with the blower cooler it came with. You aren't getting that CPU OC in that ITX box and I believe it's soldered so delid has little value.

Personally for this size rig I'd go mainstream z270.

liezryou

Higher max voltage. I'd be wary of flashing with a 480 with a 6 pin power connector though.

My 480 has a 8 pin, but the only reason i'm wary of flashing is losing my 3 year warranty on this card. I'm pretty sure OCing using MSI's own afterburner doesn't void the warranty. I mean yeah the higher max voltage would definitely be nice, but IMO it's not worth losing that warranty, seeing as higher voltages/temps would tend to decrease the life of the graphics card too.

I built my PC with the help of a few people on here a few years ago, and it's been an amazing experience so far, but I'm looking to push things a little further with overclocking for the first time. I've never done this before and would appreciate any sort of guides or apps I should use when attempting this. Just want to make sure I do it the right way with what I have. My setup is:

Intel Core i5-4690k @ 3.5ghz

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4gb

ASRock Z97M-ITX Motherboard

Corsair Hydro Series h100i CPU Cooler

PNY 8GB DDR3 SDRAM

Western Digital 1TB HD

Kingston 240 GB SSD

robochimp

My brother does graphic design work and is looking to build a PC. Any thoughts on where to start with CPU and GPU? It's been a long time since I built a new PC everything seems to be geared towards gaming rigs.

iavi

My brother does graphic design work and is looking to build a PC. Any thoughts on where to start with CPU and GPU? It's been a long time since I built a new PC everything seems to be geared towards gaming rigs.

AMD's Ryzen 1700 CPU for the threads, and a Nvidia GPU for the cuda cores is what I'd go with for any workstation right now

Zabojnik

Thoughts on the NZXT S340 Elite?

I was considering it until the very last minute, then opted for the Define C. I wasn't interested in a windowed case to begin with, since I plan on having my comp hang from under the desk, but dat tempered glass almost swayed me. The lack of sound dampening material (not sure how much difference it really makes, but still), the absence of a cover for the upper 140mm fan, the cheapo HDD cage and the less than ideal front air intake design made me come back to my senses and go with the Fractal Design case.

Still a great case.

Izuna

Banned
If you help us with the questionnaire from the first post we can advise on what fits best.

I've gotten help with 2 completed builds, but then when I realized that a cheap laptop doesn't do it for me I went to get a 1070 laptop (which tbh, isn't super relevant to this topic).

I would get the HP Omen 17 for certain if it had better IO, but it doesn't. I may get this other laptop that has a full fat 6700k in it, but I want Kabylake for 4K Netflix...

Maybe I should wait for the next generation.

NOKYARD

SilverStone Tundra Series TD03-SLIM (120mm) and TD02-SLIM (240mm) both fit the SENTRY's lower 37mm requirement.

Ghazi

I was considering it until the very last minute, then opted for the Define C. I wasn't interested in a windowed case to begin with, since I plan on having my comp hang from under the desk, but dat tempered glass almost swayed me. The lack of sound dampening material (not sure how much difference it really makes, but still), the absence of a cover for the upper 140mm fan, the cheapo HDD cage and the less than ideal front air intake design made me come back to my senses and go with the Fractal Design case.

Still a great case.

Personally I prefer both the Phanteks P400(s), and the Enthoo Pro M since there's space for 2 120 fans or a 240 rad at the top.

Also considering this case. My point against it is that the 3.5 hdd slots are not so easy to access. When you want to put in a new drive you basically have to remove the psu first. Also the drive cage is really cheap.

I'd also prefer a case that has side panels on hinges that swing open. But that's hard if you want tempered glass.

On the plus side the front hdmi is great for VR.

It's a nice ATX case. There's nothing particularly wrong with it.

Doesn't seem like it's particularly good for the price, I'll look into some more cases. Thanks for the responses.

liezryou

Doesn't seem like it's particularly good for the price, I'll look into some more cases. Thanks for the responses.

You should check out the design define s (or r5 if you need hard drive bays). But don't get the window version unless you plan to put in a tempered glass window by yourself. The window scratches very easily.

The only gripe i have with the case is that the top moduvent system actually does not have a magnetic filter. It can be found aftermarket for 15-20$ though.

My 480 has a 8 pin, but the only reason i'm wary of flashing is losing my 3 year warranty on this card. I'm pretty sure OCing using MSI's own afterburner doesn't void the warranty. I mean yeah the higher max voltage would definitely be nice, but IMO it's not worth losing that warranty, seeing as higher voltages/temps would tend to decrease the life of the graphics card too.

You can always flash it back just make sure to save the original bios using gpuz. If you have an 8 pin already I don't think there's much danger of frying the card. I can understand your concern though theres always a possibility something might happen. But if anything goes wrong it would likely show artifacts first, at which point you can flash back then RMA it. I'm in the same boat, I flashed my evga 1070 bios to a palit one for a higher power limit which has allowed me to sustain my clocks better than the original EVGA bios.

Drakhoran

Neo Member
I built my PC with the help of a few people on here a few years ago, and it's been an amazing experience so far, but I'm looking to push things a little further with overclocking for the first time. I've never done this before and would appreciate any sort of guides or apps I should use when attempting this. Just want to make sure I do it the right way with what I have. My setup is:

Intel Core i5-4690k @ 3.5ghz

EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4gb

ASRock Z97M-ITX Motherboard

Corsair Hydro Series h100i CPU Cooler

PNY 8GB DDR3 SDRAM

Western Digital 1TB HD

Kingston 240 GB SSD

Intel CPU overclocking guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcta3RStYSM

GPU overclocking guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltGKeOyDKA8

Hi everyone. Quick question:
Will I be bottlenecking a NVIDIA Quadro P600 too much by installing it in a PCIe 2.0 x4 slot? I will just be using it when I need a 10bit workflow.

dr_mario

So.I got the chance to get the Ryzen 5 1400 for 103€. Is it decent enough for HD gaming at good options? I don't need ultra, but I'll want to get a HD Monitor.

ISee

What's the difference between the Asus 1080 Strix and Strix OC. One has obviously a slightly higher boost clock speed, but that can't be all for 50€. Are they using preselected chips for the strix OC? Because I'm scratching my head and can't figure out why there are two versions.

So.I got the chance to get the Ryzen 5 1400 for 103€. Is it decent enough for HD gaming at good options? I don't need ultra, but I'll want to get a HD Monitor.

Perfectly serviceable if paired with a decent GPU. RX 570 or 1050 Ti for example would be able to do Medium and High settings with good results; RX 580 and GTX 1060 would carry you through ultra on almost every setting except something silly like Hairworks.

dr_mario

Perfectly serviceable if paired with a decent GPU. RX 570 or 1050 Ti for example would be able to do Medium and High settings with good results; RX 580 and GTX 1060 would carry you through ultra on almost every setting except something silly like Hairworks.

Thanks!
Which of those would be the most silent / cool / low-watt one? I have no experiencing in fans and coolers, so I would prefer if my case had all I need

HowZatOZ

Banned
So, my Logitech G900 that I received some time ago has decided it would begin double clicking on left click without my doing so, a frustrating input change when one is gaming or even browsing. Ever since I gravitated towards gaming mice I've noticed that they aren't actually built as well as the age old Microsoft mouse, however I do now utilise at least an extra button for my mic input key which is handy.

TLDR; What's a good "gaming" mouse? Doesn't have to be gaming specific, just good at what it does and has an extra button for assigning to my Discord PTT button.

ZombieLPK

So, my Logitech G900 that I received some time ago has decided it would begin double clicking on left click without my doing so, a frustrating input change when one is gaming or even browsing. Ever since I gravitated towards gaming mice I've noticed that they aren't actually built as well as the age old Microsoft mouse, however I do now utilise at least an extra button for my mic input key which is handy.

TLDR; What's a good "gaming" mouse? Doesn't have to be gaming specific, just good at what it does and has an extra button for assigning to my Discord PTT button.

Have you contacted Logitech? Their website says the G900 has 2 years warranty, so you'll still be covered. When my G700 had sensor issues they sent me a G700s without me needing to send the G700 back.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Have you contacted Logitech? Their website says the G900 has 2 years warranty, so you'll still be covered. When my G700 had sensor issues they sent me a G700s without me needing to send the G700 back.

I'll give it a try but I did receive this via Logitech for reviewing purposes so not sure on that aspect.

Is a 2500k still serviceable now? I've been out of the loop for quite awhile and been thinking about upgrading but hopefully I can get by with just a video card. Not looking to do any 4K in the near future, 1080p is fine for me. Right now running a Radeon 6950 with it.

Is a 2500k still serviceable now? I've been out of the loop for quite awhile and been thinking about upgrading but hopefully I can get by with just a video card. Not looking to do any 4K in the near future, 1080p is fine for me. Right now running a Radeon 6950 with it.

Buy an RX 480, prices should drop with the 580 coming out. In fact there's an 8gb one for $189 on Newegg after rebate. You'll be good for a while.

blacklotus

Guys, i need your final help:

Parts:

Mobo
CPU
GPU
RAM
Power Supply

Budget 850/1000€
Source prices for my country: novoatalho.pt

Was going with something like this:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
MSI B350 TOMAHAWK
G.SKILL 8GB DDR4 3000MHZ AEGIS
XFX TS Bronze 550w
MSI Radeon RX 480 Armor 8G OC

But got an extra 200€ budget so... help a guy a out.

Thanks.

ISee

Guys, i need your final help:

Parts:

Mobo
CPU
GPU
RAM
Power Supply

Budget 850/1000€
Source prices for my country: novoatalho.pt

Was going with something like this:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
MSI B350 TOMAHAWK
G.SKILL 8GB DDR4 3000MHZ AEGIS
XFX TS Bronze 550w
MSI Radeon RX 480 Armor 8G OC

But got an extra 200€ budget so... help a guy a out.

Thanks.

Seems fine, but you should really take 16gb ddr4 ram when building new and a rx 580 instead of a 480 is also reasonable. It doesn't make a huge difference but the price is nearly identical.
If you are able and willing to spend the 1000€ I'd take a cheap GTX 1070 instead of the polaris gpu. It will provide a significant performance boost and you should be able to game at 1080p,1440p/60 without trouble for some time.

amd_215lre.jpg

Also: Stuff is is surprisingly expansive on that site and the selection is rather limited... Is there no other option to buy from for you?

blacklotus

Seems fine, but you should really take 16gb ddr4 ram when building new and a rx 580 instead of a 480 is also reasonable. It doesn't make a huge difference but the price is nearly identical.
If you are able and willing to spend the 1000€ I'd take a cheap GTX 1070 instead of the polaris gpu. It will provide a significant performance boost and you should be able to game at 1080p,1440p/60 without trouble for some time.

amd_215lre.jpg

Also: Stuff is is surprisingly expansive on that site and options are rather limited... Is there no other option to buy from for you?

Thanks!

If you want to check pcdiga.com. It's another option.

bomblord1

Banned
$7 over budget :(

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($65.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: PNY CS1311 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($52.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 520W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($29.90 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($88.58 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I REV 4.2 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Cooler Master Devastator II Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse ($28.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $905.08
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-22 03:15 EDT-0400
  • Bigger motherboard with more expansion options.
  • 8GB memory - more can always be added later, but the saving allows for other improvements elsewhere. Also it's red.
  • SSD, as really it is essential. It's also black and red :)
  • 1060 6GB in Black/Red. You could have the RX 580 4GB if you want to save money, although I'd take the extra VRAM (personally).
  • Nicer case, also black & red!
  • Incredible power supply for the cost thanks to a nice rebate.
  • WiFi as the board doesn't have it, plus you get Bluetooth too!

Thanks I'll give it to him as a suggestion

Top Bottom