• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

rtcn63

Okay, I resign and settle for the 1050 ti. What do you guys think is the best 1050 ti under 180ish? I'm thinking about the Asus Strix one because the tests I read had it leading, and because it has friggingLEDs, but I would also like a cheaper one, like the KFA2, but I've never heard of that brand before. Should I take one with 2 fans? I'd like to have a system thats not overly loud.

Whatever's cheapest and isn't using a bare-bones (read: loud) fan. The 1050ti is low power and runs pretty cool as is. So MSI Gaming, EVGA SC, Strix, etc., it shouldn't matter much. (The MSI and EVGA I believe don't even spin up the fans until you hit a certain temperature by default, the others may be the same) And they should boost and overclock to similar levels for the most part (silicon lottery).

Although you might want to check out user reviews in case a specific model has issues.

dr_mario

Whatever's cheapest and isn't using a bare-bones (read: loud) fan. The 1050ti is low power and runs pretty cool as is. So MSI Gaming, EVGA SC, Strix, etc., it shouldn't matter much. (The MSI and EVGA I believe don't even spin up the fans until you hit a certain temperature by default, the others may be the same) And they should boost and overclock to similar levels for the most part (silicon lottery).

Although you might want to check out user reviews in case a specific model has issues.

Perfect, thanks!

liezryou

Okay, I resign and settle for the 1050 ti. What do you guys think is the best 1050 ti under 180ish? I'm thinking about the Asus Strix one because the tests I read had it leading, and because it has friggingLEDs, but I would also like a cheaper one, like the KFA2, but I've never heard of that brand before. Should I take one with 2 fans? I'd like to have a system thats not overly loud.

If you are willing to spend $180, why not get an rx 470/570 instead? It's about a 25% performance boost from a 1050ti.

kuYuri

Okay here's my answers for the questions in the OP. Hopefully you folks can help me out.

Your Current Specs: If by my current specs you mean what I have for a computer now, I have a $350 Acer laptop I got a month ago. Nothing special.

But If you mean things I have in mind for the PC then I definitely need an optical drive and built in wifi. I won't be able to run a Ethernet cable to the computer due to the layout of my house so its going to be have to be wifi. But I would like to the option to be able to connect it directly with an Ethernet cable in the future.

Budget: I'm willing to spend around like $800 or more. Possibly slightly over 1k if I buy the parts slowly over time.

Main Use: 5, I'm going to be using this for gaming and doing digital art in the furture. As well as watching videos and browsing. Possibly some video editing too.

Monitor Resolution: 1080 would be fine, 1440 would be very nice but I'm not sure I wanna break the bank on a monitor. I don't really care about 4k at the moment. Also, yeah I'm looking for a new monitor. Maybe to even have a dual monitor setup possibly. I'm not sure.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: As a bench mark, I'd like to be able to run something like The Witcher 3 on as good a settings as possible while aiming for 60 fps (I wan't to aim for 60 fps for pretty much everything.) I'll also want to make sure I can run things like Photoshop, OBS, Skype/Discord and some kind of video editing software if humanly possible. Also, I do plan that in some time in the future I will probably acquire a Cintiq for my art so it being able play nice with the computer would be ideal.

Looking to reuse any parts?: I don't have any parts to reuse so I guess not.

When will you build?: I don't have a deadline, since its going to take a awhile to amass the parts or save for a pre-built if necessary. So probably the better part of a year from now possibly. I'm not sure I will also build this myself. There's a little mom and pop computer shop in town that I frequent that might be willing to build the PC for a fee. Also, I am deathly afraid of doing it myself. I skimmed through one of the tutorial videos in the OP and I've realized PC building is for people smarter than I.

Will you be overclocking?: If I knew what the hell overclocking was I might If there is a tangible benefit to doing so.

My version of your build. Consider even dropping down to a Ryzen 5 1600 to save some more money and it still has six cores. I went with a wi-fi card rather than a built in one.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($316.98 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($119.19 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($123.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($82.67 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Toshiba - P300 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($68.26 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8GB AORUS 8G Video Card ($239.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M ATX Mid Tower Case ($72.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.96 @ Jet)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.98 @ NCIX US)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - Archer T6E AC1300 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($52.74 @ Amazon)
Total: $1184.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-06 16:21 EDT-0400

Will a PC post to bios if the CPU is broken?

My troubles are still ongoing and I've hit a wall with what I can think off.

To summarise: PC won't boot, CPU/GPU/SYS fans spin up for half a sec before powering down.

What I've tried:
-New PSU: picked up a new 650W PSU today, the only difference this made is it makes the fans spin for about 2 seconds before restarting, still not getting to BIOS.
- Changed motherboard, same problem.
- Changed RAM on both boards
- CMOS on both boards
- With or without GPU
- Tried both AIO and air cooling for the CPU

To make it a bit more complicated, I used a friends 850W EVGA Supernova g2 last night which made my system boot to windows without any problems. My system doesn't need a 750W PSU let alone a 850W one, but could there be a case for a part pulling a surge of power which is then in turn tripping my PSU?

Specs:
GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance Ram
GTX 1080
EVGA Supernova 750G2, Corsair RM650x

I'll most likely take it to a PC shop tomorrow to have them look at it as I can't afford to keep buying parts I don't need/can't return.

Since you changed everything seems to point to CPU but makes no sense you booted up with an 850. I was thinking maybe you had some crazy CPU OC profile that was failing but motherboard should recognize that, reset it and tell you.

How many times did you successfully boot up on the 850 (to rule out a one-off?)

Did you use the 750 PSU cables with the 850 (assume they're the same?) or the ones that came with 850?

When you booted with the 850 did you go into BIOS and reset to default?

Just sell the extra parts. It's new stuff you'll be able to get most of your money back.

Not sure what a PC shop is going to do for you. Those places usually suck and if you tell them you did all that above they'll just say "oh then you need a new CPU." If you tell them it booted with an 850 they'll say "oh buy an 850 then."

AAMARMO

Banned
A month ago my motherboard blew up on me and been saving up for a new one. Im also going to replace my CPU liquid cooler.

CPU: Intel - Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£201.54 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£66.99 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard: MSI - Z270 GAMING M3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£140.66 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£111.48 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Kingston - SSDNow V300 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£145.92 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card (£415.00 @ Amazon UK)
Case: Corsair - Carbide 400C ATX Mid Tower Case (£85.63 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: Corsair - Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£56.99 @ Ebuyer)
Total: £1266.19

liezryou

Okay, this looks perfect! I guess I'll start saving up soon! Thanks again for all your help everybody, you guys are the best! :)

Uh no please don't, That build is horrible. You would be much better off going with the r7 1700 w/ the stock cooler, it's really good (probably much better then that aftermarket cooler). Your RAM is wayyyy too slow for ryzen, Ideally you want something that runs at 3200 or 3000 Mhz as ryzen scales insanely well with RAM speed. Something like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232181 . I also would step down to a b350 motherboard (I like kuYuri's suggestion) and just get either a PCIe wifi card or a USB wifi adapter. The rx 580 is perfect and prices right now heavily favor getting a 8gb so that's fine.

Since you are buying AMD, you should buy a freesync monitor, it may be a few $$$ more but it is an amazing experience. Do you have a costco membership? They currently have a 27' IPS (You really want IPS as an artist) 1080p 75hz w/ freesync for 150$ https://www.costco.com/.product.100337050.html . If not, then this one from newegg is also a good choice: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...4025515&cm_re=freesync-_-24-025-515-_-Product .

You can just use the stock cooler that comes with the CPU (however I don't know if it comes with a CPU cooler, usually does but double check). Or you could get something that should do a better job than stock.

Dude if you don't fucking know, why are you making recommendations? Talk about the blind leading the blind.

Hi, I'm looking for a temporary upgrade for my GPU until I have enough money to build a new PC. I'm looking to spend £100 or less on a new or second hand GPU that is better then my current GPU and works well with my CPU. My current System:
CPU: Intel - Core i5 760 2.80GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 5870
Motherboard: GIGABYTE P55-USB3
RAM: 12GB
I was thinking of getting a GTX 750Ti or GTX 1050, but I'm not sure. Any other suggestions would be helpful thanks.

Nazo

Okay, looks like I'll have to do some editing of the build again when I get home from work.

I'll run the revised build by you guys again.

I'll get it right eventually lol.

A month ago my motherboard blew up on me and been saving up for a new one. Im also going to replace my CPU liquid cooler.

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler (£66.99 @ Ebuyer)
Memory: Kingston - HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory (£111.48 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: Kingston - SSDNow V300 Series 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£145.92 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£41.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 980 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card (£415.00 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair - Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£56.99 @ Ebuyer)

Since you mention your motherboard specifically, are most of the parts listed them what you have already?

What games do you play? Depending on what you play (XCOM 2, Mass Effect: Andromeda), Ryzen would be a better choice.

MoonGred

Since you changed everything seems to point to CPU but makes no sense you booted up with an 850. I was thinking maybe you had some crazy CPU OC profile that was failing but motherboard should recognize that, reset it and tell you.

How many times did you successfully boot up on the 850 (to rule out a one-off?)

Did you use the 750 PSU cables with the 850 (assume they're the same?) or the ones that came with 850?

When you booted with the 850 did you go into BIOS and reset to default?

Just sell the extra parts. It's new stuff you'll be able to get most of your money back.

Not sure what a PC shop is going to do for you. Those places usually suck and if you tell them you did all that above they'll just say "oh then you need a new CPU." If you tell them it booted with an 850 they'll say "oh buy an 850 then."

Nah, no OC on it, I had boosted it to a modest 4.0GHz at one point but that was a while ago.

Both times when I used that 850W PSU it booted up to windows without any problems, there was a week in-between though, he first time it happened I was 100% sure that it was a PSU problem until I used my one 5 minutes after and it behaved perfectly. We still used my cables, so that ruled out them being faulty, this was then re-affirmed when I swapped the EVGA for the Corsair.
Come to think of it I really should've tried it more, to rule out a once off succes.

The time it did boot it just booted past bios, reconfigured the drivers for the motherboard and loaded windows.

The only problem with buying parts is that I can't find a CPU near me that will work with the socket, so at minimum I'm looking at $720AUD for a new cpu,mobo, and memory. Hence being bit hesitant. At that point I would've built an entire new PC though

While on topic of buying new parts:
Any better alternatives to: Gigabyte H270N-WIFI ?

enewtabie

You know PC building is sorta like cars. You think you have it sorted out and tuned and it's running great and you see something that makes it even better. Got some cables to make it look a little better.

What kind of display port cable should I get? Just got my new monitor and it goes above 60hz. Amazon reviews lead me to believe there is different ratings for the cables?

Nazo

Okay, round 4. Lastest revision of my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hr7sf8

CPU: AMD - RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($313.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($107.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($129.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba - P300 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8GB AORUS 8G Video Card ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.49 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.79 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($86.88 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - Archer T6E AC1300 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($48.63 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Corsair - K55 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Other: LG 24MP59G-P 24-Inch Gaming Monitor with FreeSync (2017) ($165.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1458.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-06 20:29 EDT-0400

Alright, I think this is pushing the limits of what I'm willing to spend here but I think it looks good. Maybe. Probably. I don't know.

sgjackson

Okay, a friend's computer just died and she needs a new one. 1k budget for tower and Windows, will be used for gaming at 1080p (she regularly plays MMOs like FFXIV and AAA games like Nier Automata) and content creation (mostly art, streaming possible).

I put this together for her, she's ordering tonight, I need a quick idiot check:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($220.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($103.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($98.88 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 4GB Gaming 4G Video Card ($204.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($53.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Total: $904.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-06 21:13 EDT-0400

Quick note: I had an 8 gig RX580 in here but they sold out so I stuck in a 4 gig for now. When we actually order I'm going to check Newegg and Amazon for the cheapest 8 gig from a decent brand.

liezryou

Okay, round 4. Lastest revision of my build: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hr7sf8

CPU: AMD - RYZEN 7 1700 3.0GHz 8-Core Processor ($313.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($107.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($129.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Toshiba - P300 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 8GB AORUS 8G Video Card ($229.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.49 @ OutletPC)
Optical Drive: Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($17.79 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($86.88 @ OutletPC)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link - Archer T6E AC1300 PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter ($48.63 @ OutletPC)
Keyboard: Corsair - K55 RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Other: LG 24MP59G-P 24-Inch Gaming Monitor with FreeSync (2017) ($165.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $1458.26
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-06 20:29 EDT-0400

Alright, I think this is pushing the limits of what I'm willing to spend here but I think it looks good. Maybe. Probably. I don't know.

You can save $70~80 if you buy windows off ebay. You can also take out the SSD if you don't mind slower boot times. And since you are not building it yourself, you can save some money by going to a cheaper non-modular PSU. Why are you spending 50$ on a k55? If you are going to spend that much, at least get a mechanical keyboard.

Okay, a friend's computer just died and she needs a new one. 1k budget for tower and Windows, will be used for gaming at 1080p (she regularly plays MMOs like FFXIV and AAA games like Nier Automata) and content creation (mostly art, streaming possible).

I put this together for her, she's ordering tonight, I need a quick idiot check:

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($220.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - PRIME B350-PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($103.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Flare X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($98.88 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 580 4GB Gaming 4G Video Card ($204.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($61.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($53.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit
Total: $904.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-06 21:13 EDT-0400

Quick note: I had an 8 gig RX580 in here but they sold out so I stuck in a 4 gig for now. When we actually order I'm going to check Newegg and Amazon for the cheapest 8 gig from a decent brand.

Get 3000Mhz+ RAM, ryzen scales ridiculously well with faster RAM. Also i would upgrade to this motherboard for an extra $5. The asus one seems to have a plethora of issues.Everything else looks good.

sgjackson

Get 3000Mhz+ RAM, ryzen scales ridiculously well with faster RAM. Also i would upgrade to this motherboard for an extra $5. The asus one seems to have a plethora of issues.Everything else looks good.

thanks for the mobo heads up

does ryzen still have issues with being super picky about ram, and if so can you suggest a ram kit (or am i going to have to dig up motherboard qvl lists)

sikkinixx

I'm seriously tempted to take the $500 I have saved up, sell my xbone and try to build a budget mITX build. I only game in 1080p anyway and I really wanna play battlegrounds.

does ryzen still have issues with being super picky about ram, and if so can you suggest a ram kit (or am i going to have to dig up motherboard qvl lists)
From what I can tell, any Ryzen mobo will run the RAM at the default low speed. Whether you can get the RAM up to the advertised speed depends on the BIOS microcode, which going to get an update this month, so hopefully everything will sort itself out soon.

sgjackson

From what I can tell, any Ryzen mobo will run the RAM at the default low speed. Whether you can get the RAM up to the advertised speed depends on the BIOS microcode, which going to get an update this month, so hopefully everything will sort itself out soon.

so can i grab any matched pair of ddr4-3000 and it'll work in a month or is there something specific i should be looking for? i remember seeing some stuff about single and dual-sized ram.

so can i grab any matched pair of ddr4-3000 and it'll work in a month or is there something specific i should be looking for? i remember seeing some stuff about single and dual-sized ram.
The single/dual sided thing is for best results right now, AFAIK, but I'm not sure how extensive the microcode RAM compatibility updates are, since I got my RAM way before Ryzen came out and resolved to tough through the issues.

Nazo

You can save $70~80 if you buy windows off ebay. You can also take out the SSD if you don't mind slower boot times. And since you are not building it yourself, you can save some money by going to a cheaper non-modular PSU. Why are you spending 50$ on a k55? If you are going to spend that much, at least get a mechanical keyboard.

I'll definitely keep that in mind about windows and the psu. Other than that though am I in the clear build wise?

Also do you have a recommendation for a mechanical keyboard? I don't have a clue where to start with that.

sgjackson

The single/dual sided thing is for best results right now, AFAIK, but I'm not sure how extensive the microcode RAM compatibility updates are, since I got my RAM way before Ryzen came out and resolved to tough through the issues.

newegg's got g.skill ddr4-3200 that's on msi's ram compatibility list so i'm going to work with that.

also as far as motherboards go - the b350 tomahawk isn't on stock on newegg currently, but they do have the b350 gaming plus for 10 bucks more. as far as i can tell the only difference between them is the heatsinks look different and the tomahawk has leds - the connectivity and features are exactly the same.

also has anyone heard anything about evga's new b3 power supplies? googling shows them as still being superflower leadex so they're probably okay (and modular now!) but i figured i'd double check.

IC5

The best thing to do is buy something on your mobo's list. Most brands have the list on the support page for each mobo.

If you are buying a very popular board, you may be able to find forum threads where people track RAM compatibility, from various user reports.

With the upcoming microcode update, I would not expect wide reaching compatibility. It will probably fixe issues with listed RAM, and up compatibility with popular brands and models.

Honestly, the fastest stuff with the tightest timings, often are not on mobo lists. G.Skill is super popular and has a ton of models. I usually see mid models with modest timings, on lists.

Are you asking about dual sided dimms Vs. Single sided?
Or dual rank Vs. Single rank?

Single sided (ram chips on one side) usually means less power required and higher memory density. You won't notice any performance difference. But single sided ram which uses less power at the same speed, will probably overclock better/achieve better timings.

Single rank Vs. Dual rank is a RAM classification which has to do with how the chips are accessed. Dual rank is better. The majority of DDR4 on the market is dual rank. I would be very surprised if any common brand was selling single rank. But its almost never an advertised spec and only a couple of consumer available tools can tell you what rank your RAM is.

Okay, finally got my GTX 1080 in but damn is that card hefty.

My disk drives were sorta in the way so I've moved my secondary HDD above the card and my primary SSD below it with the cable stretching over this back of the card. Is this likely to cause any issues?

Hopefully this pic shows what I mean:

y4m4lhRwEu66lEJMAoT8h4lvkIwP9NspEaPg339YjZsSYZooAgIO32LDMnXEw4mAlQQhDxH5j094hv3O3XvSMDXwPSWlN_S4OauzXx2muHZnbDl8wrwO2BGYftim6SG6dxO4OlCAJbjOeCmCzYvai6h9i09Drp4IwfPr2WRnjoG2qOZ5vTowoK8er4VY3MVRhoPtCi936FhmvHIQJFwXdiFww

y4mxuAlbdPeS1eUMKOrl8GfksqdEIl_RlrMpOpul5-7JLnu6Zco8vOEhRMoi6gbrwq0ZiRqlC5xqqt98RbSoL-ZDwvrfE8ZjK_wt-I57dW_MGjavos6qAgqC1DoWm5WloNk7ZMoQ6wHRg0Y4jqQsl2W6ZwwGVIUXkAYsmxea5JaFrJTIMbwJSBU5yjaQsU4mAMGecXKpZQhLdkqjQPE72g5VA

And whilst I'm picking brains, any other issue sticking out?

y4mek4yD4FlfQmCpi2lk5qSrWT9isLE7yTPPeSgUTF2i_e4k44F24NpEPcGUMUaXaIzLvGjUSVpJvaNpa-6O4pic_7fmXjyhEX7H5TIT7vEBicRWhpCMQwT_CmVjlmI_GrtO00NNsDv9VI2OcSElSKqwIiRB8CAIw_l4v1UfZ-koYAb2PEheop0leeMyP_98e-Ojl62BoPDKNBywu-sfzYGYg

MoonGred

I for the life of me can't decide between a 7600k or a 7700k.

It will just be used for gaming at 3440x1440 res and will be paired with a GTX1080.

MoonGred

Surely it must be a special? Why would intel only put a $10 difference between their i5 and i7 in the us?

I had zero intentions of upgrading this year but my 4690k died and am now left with no other choice.

ISee

I for the life of me can't decide between a 7600k or a 7700k.

It will just be used for gaming at 3440x1440 res and will be paired with a GTX1080.

Deciding for a new CPU is a very hard decision atm and it is impossible to recommend one thing over another with a good feeling and confidence.

The difference between an i5 and i7 isn’t huge in some games, but especially in CPU heavy, well multi-threaded open world titles it is another story:

Both the i5 and the i7 can give you 60 fps in this example, but look at the 0.1 low graphs. The i7 gives you a nice improvement in frame-times, has more headroom left and an guarantees an overall smoother experience. That said the i5 isn’t a bad CPU, performance differences aren't as huge as in this example all the time and it should give you enough performance for the coming year.
But there is another thing to consider: “Future proofing”. Personally, I think I’d go with a r5 1600 instead of the i5 7600k today. Both will give you similar performance in games, but the 1600 could be more future-proof because of the sheer amount of threads it is able to handle (just like old i7s bring in better results today than their i5 counterparts) . But single core performance on the 7600k (especially overclocked) is superior and some games will favor this over thread count, even in the future..
But if you want the very best gaming performance and you don’t mind the premium than the 7700k is the way to go. It gives you superior per core performance and its ability to at least handle 8 threads should keep it relevant in the next couple of years, even if the ryzen 7 has the potential to becomes the better gaming CPU in the future. The i7 is the superior CPU right now and in worst case scenario it should be able to go hand in hand with the r5 1600x, hopefully.

In the end take whatever you feel more confident about, especially when it comes to price/performance.

Edit: Not to make a point, but just to ease the pain of having to get a new CPU a bit.

I had zero intentions of upgrading this year but my 4690k died and am now left with no other choice.

I’ve watched NX Gamers Prey Technical analysis & performance PC/PS4/XboxOne. Some scenes seem to stress the 4690k a lot in Prey. Out of curiosity I went back to this location and looked at my 7700k load (not really the same view, but at least similar enough). The difference isn’t small and I was running the game at 1800p and there is more geometry on screen, so this scene is more taxing for the 7700k.
Prey is also an AMD-Ryzen sponsored game so it should be well multithreaded, I assume. But I couldn’t find Prey-ryzen benchmarks so far...

4690k said:

7700k said:

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Never mind. I thought you were talking about the 6700k. Still. It's better to get the latter for various reasons. If you were going for I5, mind as well go for Ryzen since in the same price bracket you get a lot more. Basically if you are getting a 7700k, stick with it. For any other tier, get a Ryzen.

I noticed that the U.S seems to get deals and cheaper stuff than any other region.

MoonGred

Thanks for that. Intel really disappointed this year, at least if you were upgrading a 3yr old cpu. I try not to worry too much about future proofing, there will always be better next year anyway.
But you're absolutely right, performance will be the same 90% of the time but what gets me are game like watch dogs 2 where the i7 just pulls so far ahead.

Don't ask me why but I'm a bit hesitant when it comes to AMDs offerings, no clue why.

dr_mario

If you are willing to spend $180, why not get an rx 470/570 instead? It's about a 25% performance boost from a 1050ti.

To be honest, because I get frustratred. I just have no idea about hardware and there is SO much of it. Even googling your suggestions I found so many versions. Some, I would be willing to pay, some I wouldn't (seems most of them are over 200€ in Germany). Additionally, I always get suggested the 1050 ti, and I just can't differentiate if these are Nvidia Fans or if the 1050 really is better. As I said, I found some 470/570 that would be cheap enough but I can't even tell if these ARE in these versions actually better. For a complete noob in hardware, this topic is so difficult ^^

asdad123

Figured I should post this in here as well as the BST thread.

I sold my gaming PC and have some extra memory for sale from it.

CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666 (PC4 21300) Desktop Memory Model CMK16GX4M2A2666C16R

This is the red version. Looks like they are going for $120 to $147 for the pack?

Looking for $100 shipped via PayPal gift.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Xp8...gx4m2a2666c16r

Let me know if you are interested. I am in NJ if anyone is interested in a local pickup.

ISee

Thanks for that. Intel really disappointed this year, at least if you were upgrading a 3yr old cpu. I try not to worry too much about future proofing, there will always be better next year anyway.
But you're absolutely right, performance will be the same 90% of the time but what gets me are game like watch dogs 2 where the i7 just pulls so far ahead.

Don't ask me why but I'm a bit hesitant when it comes to AMDs offerings, no clue why.

I went for the 7700k, because of reasons and I don't feel confident about it. But I for sure wouldn't feel confident about the r7 1700 either, so whatever.
I've also updated my previous post. Just take a look at the difference in CPU load in Prey (same location, different angles). Especially when going from an older i5 to a new i7 there is more to it than the usual, average 15%. For some games at least and as said, it may become even more relevant in 2018.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Are temps on overcooked 1700x and 1800x better than overcooked 1700? Want to do a mild 24/7 overclock to like 3.8 but don't want an extra heater in the room. I'll spend a little extra to get less heat. I asked because I heard somewhere that the higher end models were binned for thermals.

Also how prevalent is the 7700k overheating issue.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
The same reasoning with getting something in the present applies to getting a 7700k. Anything you buy is always obsolete because something is always in the works. You have to put your foot down and decide to get something here now and make the most of it.

Why I went 7700k.

I was already streaming at 1080p 30fps with an 2500k. Doing multitasking and everything I wanted to do perfectly. Then I went 7700k and it was like taking off training wheels.

I can stream at 1080p 60fps, have multiple tabs going, have steam, Dolphin running at 4x the res and enhanced visuals, led programs, messengers, music, etc all on and still have enough juice to do more. All that while not having to worry about the issues Ryzen had with ram speed, windows problems and the typical devs and brands having to come out with fixes later. By the time I need to upgrade my CPU which probably won't be for another 3 - 4 years, there will be much better stuff out. I don't think I'll run into any problems doing whatever I need to do and if I do, I'm sure Intel has a year or two left before this socket is old news so I can just upgrade to another if need be.

The same reasoning with getting something in the present applies to getting a 7700k. Anything you buy is always obsolete because something is always in the works. You have to put your foot down and decide to get something here now and make the most of it.

Why I went 7700k.

I was already streaming at 1080p 30fps with an 2500k. Doing multitasking and everything I wanted to do perfectly. Then I went 7700k and it was like taking off training wheels.

I can stream at 1080p 60fps, have multiple tabs going, have steam, Dolphin running at 4x the res and enhanced visuals, led programs, messengers, music, etc all on and still have enough juice to do more. All that while not having to worry about the issues Ryzen had with ram speed, windows problems and the typical devs and brands having to come out with fixes later. By the time I need to upgrade my CPU which probably won't be for another 3 - 4 years, there will be much better stuff out. I don't think I'll run into any problems doing whatever I need to do and if I do, I'm sure Intel has a year or two left before this socket is old news so I can just upgrade to another if need be.

Great you're happy with your choice but nothing out there beats the Ryzen 1600 right now in terms of price/performance.

And as people keep saying, the massive bonus with Ryzen is it's on AM4 platform, so mobos you buy today will be upgradeable with Ryzen 2 next year and it's successor the year after that. With Kabylake you don't have that option.

Enlil

All your parts are compatible.

I can't really recommend anything cheaper because it doesn't look like you're in the US of A and I don't really know the availability in your country.

The motherboard only has 2 RAM slots. Do you want a total of 16gb RAM? Then you have to get one 8GB RAM stick and add 8GB RAM later. If you want a total of 32GB RAM, you have to get one 16GB RAM stick and add another 16GB of RAM in the future.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core OEM/Tray Processor ($312.49 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Seidon 120V 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: ASRock - B150M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($56.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: ADATA - XPG Z1 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($109.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming Water cooling Video Card ($609.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Cooler Master - N300 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: Cooler Master - 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1478.86
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-05-06 10:19 EDT-0400

Edit:
Check to see if this is available in your country

PSU - EVGA 600B 80+ Bronze, might be cheaper

Another way to save some money is by chosing a cheaper Case.

Hey KurtFehl,
thanks for the help!
You are right I might add 16gb in the future, which motherboard do you recommend?
Is that processor a Kaby lake? I want the latest CPU. If I am not mistaken those are the Kaby lake ones?

rtcn63

The difference between a cheapo cooler and a high-end one is usually a few degrees with newer chips? That sounds... I should read up more on this. If only because it could save me money in my next build.

Okay, so from reading reviews on places like Guru3D and Techpowerup, the D15 is actually a pretty noticeable upgrade over the 212 in worst-case scenarios (heavily OC'd, 100% CPU load). Like 10-17C. Although that doesn't excuse Intel from being shit with their temps.

OraleeWey

Uh no please don't, That build is horrible. You would be much better off going with the r7 1700 w/ the stock cooler, it's really good (probably much better then that aftermarket cooler). Your RAM is wayyyy too slow for ryzen, Ideally you want something that runs at 3200 or 3000 Mhz as ryzen scales insanely well with RAM speed. Something like https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232181 . I also would step down to a b350 motherboard (I like kuYuri's suggestion) and just get either a PCIe wifi card or a USB wifi adapter. The rx 580 is perfect and prices right now heavily favor getting a 8gb so that's fine.

Since you are buying AMD, you should buy a freesync monitor, it may be a few $$$ more but it is an amazing experience. Do you have a costco membership? They currently have a 27' IPS (You really want IPS as an artist) 1080p 75hz w/ freesync for 150$ https://www.costco.com/.product.100337050.html . If not, then this one from newegg is also a good choice: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...4025515&cm_re=freesync-_-24-025-515-_-Product .

Dude if you don't fucking know, why are you making recommendations? Talk about the blind leading the blind.

Jeez dude calm down. First of all, all I ever try to do was save him some money. He originally said he wanted an $800 PC and in the end was recommended something $1,200+. What he ended up with was way over budget. Secondly, you're gonna get upset over a cooler? Thirdly, talking about "the blind leading the blind", maybe if you had gone back a page or 2 to get ALL the context and read what he originally posted, you wouldn't be doing that of which you accuse me of doing.

Top Bottom