• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Ordered the Acer $350 Laptop from Amazon last night and I was looking for a good 8gig DDR4 stick for it. The guide I was looking at recommended this Crucial stick, but I found a Ripjaw alil cheaper on Newegg. Anyone know if the Ripjaw would be good to go with or should I stick with the Crucial stick?

Heres the Laptop:

https://www.amazon.com/Acer-E5-575-33BM-15-6-Inch-Processor-Generation/dp/B01K1IO3QW/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1493920907&sr=1-2&keywords=acer+laptop

And here are the 2 different sticks of Ramm:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015HQ9TGW/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2K88R8BB4WJBG&coliid=I1ZE4COXDTY3A7&psc=1

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232147

Both sticks look near identical imo, but just wanted to be sure.

I also have 2 8 Gig DDR3 sticks from my old laptop that died. Would it be a huge difference if I used those as opposed to the 12 gigs of DDR4?
Edit: NVM, doesnt look like I can use DDR3 with the Kaby Lake, my bad.

Both DDR4-2133 and same latency. Just go with the cheaper G-Skill.

liezryou

1. Chipset is basically a controller for the components on the mobo and handles how they interact. It also determines features like overclocking (H110, for example, doesn't have CPU overclocking), type of RAM you'll use, support for total number of connections like USB and SATA, PCI-E configuration, etc.

2. Standard desktop usage? I guess not. Gaming? Well, to the extent that, for example, you may not be able to overclock your CPU or be limited to lower-speeds of certain components, yes.

3. As long as hardware is compatible (both from an interface and speed/performance perspective) then you're mostly just focused on the parts.

4. Updating a BIOS is fairly easy these days.

5. Not necessarily "go big" but I don't see any reason get a H110 motherboard. You can get decent Z270 boards for like $100 and have room for upgrades.

I mean, I understand the concept of a budget build but if you're really looking to only spend like $300 or whatever, I'd just buy a cheap, pre-built desktop. Save yourself a lot of hassle and worry.

You can't update a H110 BIOS with a kaby lake CPU, you have to have a sky lake CPU lying around.

rtcn63

Some/many H110 boards come pre-updated with Kaby support if that helps, I was looking at ITX mobos a few weeks back.

You can't update a H110 BIOS with a kaby lake CPU, you have to have a sky lake CPU lying around.

Some ASUS boards with USB BIOS flashback feature can but not sure if any are H110, but if he's buying a new board I'd assume it has the latest minimum BIOS for Kaby Lake.

Stealth edit: I see why you responded to me. I totally skipped over his comment about the warning from PC Parts Picker.

@Ted: check which BIOS the board ships with. Or, as I mentioned, just avoid the issue and get a cheaper Z270. :)

Tinúviel

Guys i'm currently using Dell U2515H and i want to buy a 27-32" 4K monitor but i need to be able to get 60hz from HDMI because it also has to work with my PS4 Pro.I don't really care high refresh rate 60hz is fine for me.The design is important U2515H is a sleek looking monitor and i can't just jump from that to a bulky,ugly monitor.Anyone has a suggestion?

OraleeWey

Having an issue. Installed Windows on my PC just fine. Booted up, everything OK. I go to windows settings and begin downloading system updates. All updates download, time to restart. Now my mouse and keyboard only work in BIOS. Any ideas?

It was working fine before I restarted for Windows updates.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Having an issue. Installed Windows on my PC just fine. Booted up, everything OK. I go to windows settings and begin downloading system updates. All updates download, time to restart. Now my mouse and keyboard only work in BIOS. Any ideas?

It was working fine before I restarted for Windows updates.

Try to unplug them and then plug them back in while the system is running and in windows.
After I installed the windows Creator update I had the exact same problem where my keyboard stopped working as soon as it finished installing. I had to unplug it and then plug it back in and it's been back to normal ever since. That's the only update that's ever done that to me.

OraleeWey

Try to unplug them and then plug them back in while the system is running and in windows.
After I installed the windows Creator update I had the exact same problem where my keyboard stopped working as soon as it finished installing. I had to unplug it and then plug it back in and it's been back to normal ever since. That's the only update that's ever done that to me.

It's not working for me :/

Blarg

Neo Member
Got my first gsync monitor and my mind is blown. 144hz is incredible. I learned my GTX 970 can push 100 fps in Fallout 4. Also, gsync works in RetroArch so my emulators now have less input lag.

Edit: Bunch of dead pixels and back to Newegg it goes...

OraleeWey

Destroy the whole thing and start over.

Gotta be driver-related if you've tried switching ports.

These are wireless, I assume?

Not sure what's going on but I did start over again and the same thing happened. The only thing working for me right now is my USB C port. Luckily I have a USB splitter which I can connect up to 3 USB devices. Anyone have any ideas? It happens after I install Windows updates. Before that, it works fine.

Edit: Is there an ASUS software that installs all MB drivers for me?

Edit 2: What do you mean by wireless? I don't have any wireless devices, it's all wired.

Edit 3: I figured it out. I was on an older OS Build. Just updated to the latest version and everything is working now. So that mean't that Microsoft gave me a Windows 10 disc with broken USB support. Seems legit.

My advice, install Windows 10 from a USB by downloading the latest OS build version on Microsoft's website.

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
Poor Artist here on a toaster here.

My classes have just finally ended, I've just started a simple grocery store job and I want to build a good enough PC to run my art programs (like Photoshop, Blender and Maya). I'd also like to use the PC for some gaming as well, games like Dark Souls 3 and Overwatch. Nothing crazy, I dont need 120 FPS or 4k, since I've only got a regular 1080p 60hz monitor anyway. I want to try and keep the cost down because I intend to buy a new drawing tablet to replace my broken one this summer.

List:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qj8rCy

Now you might notice that, that isn't "complete". My friend had some extra parts and decided to give them to me before he moved. The less I have to spend the better right? Anyway these are the exact parts I already have:

-Apex SK-393-C ATX Mid Tower Case
-Ballistix Tactical Tracer 16GB ram DDR3
-WD 750 GB storage (yes I know that's small, I'll buy an SSD after it's built)
-ASUS DVD optical Drive

Any feedback would be appreciated.
(Budget is $5-600 I guess)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well dang got my replacement stock cooler to use while I hash out whether I want a water cooler.

Time to revisit those dang lga1155 mystery pins. Which way do they turn lol? The world may never know.

Bloodember

My classes have just finally ended, I've just started a simple grocery store job and I want to build a good enough PC to run my art programs (like Photoshop, Blender and Maya). I'd also like to use the PC for some gaming as well, games like Dark Souls 3 and Overwatch. Nothing crazy, I dont need 120 FPS or 4k, since I've only got a regular 1080p 60hz monitor anyway. I want to try and keep the cost down because I intend to buy a new drawing tablet to replace my broken one this summer.

List:

Now you might notice that, that isn't "complete". My friend had some extra parts and decided to give them to me before he moved. The less I have to spend the better right? Anyway these are the exact parts I already have:

-ASUS DVD optical Drive

Ddr3 is not compatible with the 6000 and 7000 CPUs.

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
Ddr3 is not compatible with the 6000 and 7000 CPUs.

I'm not sure that's correct. Intel's spec sheet gives the i5-6600k's memory compatibility as:

Interesting. I'm ok just buying a Kingston HyperX Fury 16 GB.

But this is the specific DDR3 RAM that I have:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0091L1MRY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Not sure I want to take the chance to see if it's fully compatible or not.

EDIT: Oh wait, the Motherboard I have listed cant use DDR3 anyway. Never mind.

kennah

I'm not sure that's correct. Intel's spec sheet gives the i5-6600k's memory compatibility as:

The MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 motherboard is DDR4 only so maybe somthing like this instead?

Only in certain circumstances. You'd be pretty hard pressed to find a DDR3 Socket 1151 motherboard.

EDIT: didn't notice you had linked one. If you're going to be getting a DDR3 socket 1151 motherboard then there is no point wasting the money on something modern, the money would be better spent trying to find a cheap used 4790K instead.
EDIT2: Or sell the DDR3 and buy DDR4.

Drakhoran

Neo Member
Only in certain circumstances. You'd be pretty hard pressed to find a DDR3 Socket 1151 motherboard.

There are quite a few if you search Newegg for ddr3 1151.

Anyway. Evilkazzzz, if you're not sticking with the DDR3 you may want to consider a Ryzen 5 cpu instead of the i5. I believe both Blender and Maya are good enough at the whole multitreading thing that the 8 (Ryzen 5 1500x) or 12 (Ryzen 5 1600) threads on the AMD chips will do more for you than the 4 threads of the i5.

Ryzen will definitely not work with DDR3 however.

Bloodember

The MSI Z170-A PRO ATX LGA1151 motherboard is DDR4 only so maybe somthing like this instead?

Ddr3l can be on the motherboard, but its not the same as ddr3, but can be used in the same slot. ddr3l and ddr4 aren't compatible at all. 99% of skylake motherboards are ddr4.

Evilkazzzz

Neo Member
Anyway. Evilkazzzz, if you're not sticking with the DDR3 you may want to consider a Ryzen 5 cpu instead of the i5. I believe both Blender and Maya are good enough at the whole multitreading thing that the 8 (Ryzen 5 1500x) or 12 (Ryzen 5 1600) threads on the AMD chips will do more for you than the 4 threads of the i5.

Ryzen will definitely not work with DDR3 however.

Interesting. I'm not all that knowledgable on threading and what not. Preferably I'd like the PC I build to be a future proof as possible. Ryzen 5 1600 seems like a good deal. I still have plenty of time to rework the build I'm going for. I've already decided to just get DDR4.

Weevilone

EDIT: didn't notice you had linked one. If you're going to be getting a DDR3 socket 1151 motherboard then there is no point wasting the money on something modern, the money would be better spent trying to find a cheap used 4790K instead.
EDIT2: Or sell the DDR3 and buy DDR4.

I don't know what cheap is, but I have a new in box 4790k. It is factory sealed and all that. I originally bought it for a HTPC build I did alongside my desktop, but I never used it.

List:

-ASUS DVD optical Drive

That mobo won't take DDR3.

Edit: nm, see you realized that already.

Anyway, everything looks good; just add some DDR4 memory and a SSD and I think you're set.

Well dang got my replacement stock cooler to use while I hash out whether I want a water cooler.

Time to revisit those dang lga1155 mystery pins. Which way do they turn lol? The world may never know.

Of COURSE you want a water cooler. What kind of a question is that?? :)

Tinúviel;235760026 said:
Guys i'm currently using Dell U2515H and i want to buy a 27-32" 4K monitor but i need to be able to get 60hz from HDMI because it also has to work with my PS4 Pro.I don't really care high refresh rate 60hz is fine for me.The design is important U2515H is a sleek looking monitor and i can't just jump from that to a bulky,ugly monitor.Anyone has a suggestion?

That's a fairly wide range of screens. The real question is what are you willing to spend?

Godan

You can replace the radiator fan with any compatible fan you want. You just have to make sure that it is the right size for your radiator (120mm or 140mm) and it has to be static pressure. Static pressure fans move air better through the radiator than a regular airflow fan.

Thanks. Ended up just buying a H100i to replace my H80. Also bought some fans for that and some new case fans instead of buying a new case. Was going to buy the 570x from Corsair but currently have the Corsair air 540 as i really like the space in it so saving myself some money by just buying fans than a whole new case that i would end up buying extra fans with anyway lol.

Getting back into PC gaming after a while out and just wanted to check recommendations about my current machine regarding CPU and RAM:

- CPU is an i5-4690K
Is this still more than capable? Or do I need to look into overclocking or replacing it?

- Ram wise I've got 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/1866mhz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Fury Blue w/Heat Spreader)

Is jumping to DDR4 3200mhz going to make a major difference (I want to upgrade to 16GB either way)
EDIT: Although apparently my motherboard doesn't support it? It's a ASUS Maximus VII Ranger INTEL Z97 Chipset.
Given this, is there a major difference between 4x4GB and 2x8GB?

Cheers for any advice

AsianOni

Getting back into PC gaming after a while out and just wanted to check recommendations about my current machine regarding CPU and RAM:

- CPU is an i5-4690K
Is this still more than capable? Or do I need to look into overclocking or replacing it?

- Ram wise I've got 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3/1866mhz Dual Channel Memory (Kingston HyperX Fury Blue w/Heat Spreader)

Is jumping to DDR4 3200mhz going to make a major difference (I want to upgrade to 16GB either way)
EDIT: Although apparently my motherboard doesn't support it? It's a ASUS Maximus VII Ranger INTEL Z97 Chipset

Cheers for anyadvice
You can only use DDR3. I have the same CPU and recently bought a GTX1080. I feel like I'm a bit limited in some specific recent games (Wildlands, Andromeda,...) but it will be good enough for me for at least 3 years, I hope.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
considering selling my Gigabyte 1080 as I really don't use it - prefer to play on console and I mainly bought it for VR. But I would still want a decent-ish GPU for when I do play games - something that can drive 3440x1440 at good settings.

Would a 1060 be a good option? Trying to find a price point where I'm not just trading down - I'd want to get something out of it othewise I might as well keep the 1080 for the next few years

You can only use DDR3. I have the same CPU and recently bought a GTX1080. I feel like I'm a bit limited in some specific recent games (Wildlands, Andromeda,...) but it will be good enough for me for at least 3 years, I hope.

Hah, weird, I've just bought the same.

Ted

Thanks PlayALLtheGames and liezryou, really useful stuff. Starting from the beginning is pretty daunting so it is nice to be able to ask questions. I realize sometimes they may sound stupid but I really am pretty inexperienced with this sort of stuff though hopefully a quick enough learner!

1. Chipset is basically a controller for the components on the mobo and handles how they interact. It also determines features like overclocking (H110, for example, doesn't have CPU overclocking), type of RAM you'll use, support for total number of connections like USB and SATA, PCI-E configuration, etc.

That makes sense and gives me some idea what to look for.

2. Standard desktop usage? I guess not. Gaming? Well, to the extent that, for example, you may not be able to overclock your CPU or be limited to lower-speeds of certain components, yes.

OK, so essentially better mobo = more options/configuration options. Good stuff, I think I'll over-spec a little here then to play safe. It will lead to a million what ifs though so please tell me when I am getting annoying (already I suspect to any experienced PC builder)!!

3. As long as hardware is compatible (both from an interface and speed/performance perspective) then you're mostly just focused on the parts.

This is reassuring!

4. Updating a BIOS is fairly easy these days.

OK, so, easy but probably not possible for a fresh start. That's cool, at least I know what to avoid.

5. Not necessarily "go big" but I don't see any reason get a H110 motherboard. You can get decent Z270 boards for like $100 and have room for upgrades.

I mean, I understand the concept of a budget build but if you're really looking to only spend like $300 or whatever, I'd just buy a cheap, pre-built desktop. Save yourself a lot of hassle and worry.

I think budget is pretty relative and though I don't want to break the bank I don't mind spending a little extra where it is either a direct substantial improvement or means I avoid having to spend more in the future because I've essentially purchased a road block by going cheap. I don't really have an overall budget in mind at the moment but I think when I use the term budget I don't necessarily mean cheap, I mean good relative value.

In this instance I think I was mostly perturbed by the difference in prices rather than the prices themselves!

Probably also worth noting I am mostly based in the UK so prices here are a little different in relation to cost of living and for various reasons not relevant to this thread we live on a pretty modest budget so being thoughtful about how we spend our money has to be a thing. That said, even if the best value option was your aforementioned pre-built desktop if the difference was minimal I would still probably consider building one as there is an element of fun/learning in the actual building of things that has a certain value.

Thanks for the thoughtful answers PATG. It really is appreciated.

Have a great weekend PC-GAF. :)

rtcn63

I purchased an XB1 controller to use for Windows 7, wired. Is there any way to turn off the light, or the loud and terrifying vibration when resuming from sleep mode? Like why is that even a thing.

Baleoce

Quick Q about fan positioning.

I have a Fractal Define S, which is a case that loads drives vertically behind the motherboard at the side panel and does not support internal optical media drives. And the PSU is at the bottom rear of the case. The whole front end is presumably designed for a water cooling reservoire, but I don't have water cooling at the moment so that's a big empty space. And none of the top bays are currently being used as fans.

The current setup is, one rear fan, the cpu heatsink fan, and 2 front fans. My question is primarily, what is the best positioning for those two front fans? Is it in the bottom / middle (covering psu and gpu), or middle / top (gpu and cpu)? Many thanks.

rtcn63

Quick Q about fan positioning.

I have a Fractal Define S, which is a case that loads drives vertically behind the motherboard at the side panel and does not support internal optical media drives. And the PSU is at the bottom rear of the case. The whole front end is presumably designed for a water cooling reservoire, but I don't have water cooling at the moment so that's a big empty space. And none of the top bays are currently being used as fans.

The current setup is, one rear fan, the cpu heatsink fan, and 2 front fans. My question is primarily, what is the best positioning for those two front fans? Is it in the bottom / middle (covering psu and gpu), or middle / top (gpu and cpu)? Many thanks.

IIRC front fans intaking air to cool the CPU and GPU, then being pulled out the back of the case. If you can fit a third, then yeah, position it in front of the hard drives/PSU but it's not as vital.

ISee

considering selling my Gigabyte 1080 as I really don't use it - prefer to play on console and I mainly bought it for VR. But I would still want a decent-ish GPU for when I do play games - something that can drive 3440x1440 at good settings.

Would a 1060 be a good option? Trying to find a price point where I'm not just trading down - I'd want to get something out of it othewise I might as well keep the 1080 for the next few years

No. For that kind of resolution a 1070 is the bare minimum if you don't want to turn down settings to much. I'd even say a 1080 is the better choice.

Chinbo37

How is the Zalman ZM clip on mic for gaming?

I have a nice set of Fisher's which I use for music and would like to also use them for gaming but need to add a mic.

EDIT - what the recommended way to do voice chat for PC gaming? My friend and I have just been using our cell phones with skype to play borderlands but I would like to switch over to somethign "integrated" in my PC. Discord seems like the consensus option but I have seen privacy concerns? what about teamspeak or mumble?

dr_mario

Yay, me again. I hope it s okay to post all these German amazon links.

So. Which of these three would fit my budget-yet-gaming--ryzen-5-1600-build most?

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01JPAVZQI/
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01MEHGRMS/
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01J1J7WOM/

Although the 1050 is only 20€ more, I would love to hear that they are similiar enough to just buy the cheapest. Thanks in advance!

Oh and I have a theoretical question: What speaks against my using a small Full HD TV I have anyway as a monitor? I mean, I play consoles on TVs, so can I not play PC as well on one?

OK, so, easy but probably not possible for a fresh start. That's cool, at least I know what to avoid.

As we mentioned just check what BIOS your eventual board (if not a Z270) ships with; at this point it'll probably have the minimum required for Kaby Lake.

That said, even if the best value option was your aforementioned pre-built desktop if the difference was minimal I would still probably consider building one as there is an element of fun/learning in the actual building of things that has a certain value.

I'm there with you all the way brother.

Yay, me again. I hope it s okay to post all these German amazon links.

So. Which of these three would fit my budget-yet-gaming--ryzen-5-1600-build most?

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01JPAVZQI/
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01MEHGRMS/
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01J1J7WOM/

Although the 1050 is only 20€ more, I would love to hear that they are similiar enough to just buy the cheapest. Thanks in advance!

Oh and I have a theoretical question: What speaks against my using a small Full HD TV I have anyway as a monitor? I mean, I play consoles on TVs, so can I not play PC as well on one?

1050Ti is the better card. Get the better card.

Nothing stops you from using the HDTV assuming it has the connections.

So I can't get my Corsair LPX 2x8gb RAM to run at 3200MHz on my Gigabyte AB350m gaming 3.

The latest BIOS update does nothing but add an extra 10c onto the CPU temperature.

Not having the best of times...

Vic_Viper

Can't remember what it's called but whenever I set up a new PC from scratch there was this download I would get with with tons of optional programs all tied to one download file. Can anyone here remember what it is called or where to find something similar? I would use it to download all the necessary basic programs on a fresh win install; like VLC player, CCCP, Spybot, etc...

Is there anything else I should get nowadays with a fresh Win 10 install?

erawsd

Can't remember what it's called but whenever I set up a new PC from scratch there was this download I would get with with tons of optional programs all tied to one download file. Can anyone here remember what it is called or where to find something similar? I would use it to download all the necessary basic programs on a fresh win install; like VLC player, CCCP, Spybot, etc...

Ninite?

kuYuri

ninite.com?

EDIT: Beaten

What is the recommended free Virus protection software currently that is too intrusive?

I'm assuming you mean isn't too intrusive?

People have a wide variety of opinions on this topic. Many will say just keep Windows updated, rely on the antivirus stuff built into the OS, and don't be stupid.

Iorv3th

for 4k I wouldn't go lower. Unless you don't care about graphics quality. Right now though you can get a 1080 brand new for around 440$. (one on ebay right now). So if you are wanting to sale it and get something else you aren't going to leave yourself much room.

hitgirl

Hmm my delided i7 6700k w/ no overclock stock settings is hitting about peak 70* C at load (hangs between 59-65*C) via Asus Realbench. That seems a bit high, my last core was a sandybridge though. Case is fractal design node 605 and a Noctua NH-C14S w/ 140MM Noctua fan.

Top Bottom