• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

I want to build a really cheap NAS/Plex Server machine using leftover parts from my old PC. I have a case, PSU, hard drives, and BluRay Drive already. What would be best/cheapest:

CPU
Motherboard
RAM

I may want to occasionally rip a BluRay, so would I need to run Windows? Other than that, it doesn't need to be super powerful, as I doubt I would ever have more than two streams playing max at any time.

hoserx

Just an FYI, I walked into costco yesterday......snuck behind this woman, pretending to be her husband, as I'm not a member......to make my way to the electronics section......

Wherein, I found this:
VACFPN0.jpg

(yes I have an all-year christmas tree)

Now for the good part. It was Four hundred and ninety-nine US dollars. That's about 300 less than anywhere else. So, as anyone would do...... I hid the monitor in the home-goods section, and signed up at the front desk. Now I'm a costco member and I have this awesome panel. A great Saturday.

(To clarify, this is the 27" IPS 165hz Gsync one, not the TN panel. )

sikkinixx

Is an ITX build more expensive than an ATX/mATX one? I've been mulling it over for a day now, getting rid of my Xbone and putting a similar sized PC in the entertainment centre. But it would be on a shoe string budget. Like an i3 build with a AMD 460 or something along those lines. I can recycle my SSD from my 5 year old PC but case/ram/GPU/CPU/Mobo all need to be new sadly. Wondering if it's worth cobbling together. hmmmm.

rtcn63

Is an ITX build more expensive than an ATX/mATX one? I've been mulling it over for a day now, getting rid of my Xbone and putting a similar sized PC in the entertainment centre. But it would be on a shoe string budget. Like an i3 build with a AMD 460 or something along those lines. I can recycle my SSD from my 5 year old PC but case/ram/GPU/CPU/Mobo all need to be new sadly. Wondering if it's worth cobbling together. hmmmm.

Generally, yes. Like laptops, you're often playing a premium for the smaller form factor, at least for some of the individual parts. And a lot of it depends on the size and shape of the case itself- whether it can utilize a normal-sized PSU, is there enough space to install and make use of a decent air cooler for the CPU and/or GPU, etc. For example with really small cases, you may be limited to a blower model for the GPU (since it exhausts air out of the back) or an AIO liquid cooler (which is pricey and possibly not worth the cost for a 460 and/or i3).

Awhile back I tried to spec out a build to house my old GTX 670, something like a Fractal Design Node 202 + Corsair 450 SFX + G4560 + wifi mobo, but in the end it was just more expensive than I wanted. For me, that was money that could be put towards a high-performance mid-tower rig in the future.

You could try for second-hand parts or buy them piece meal over various sales. The Nano S is a nice case if you aren't too constrained by space limitations, and it goes on sale often.

rrs

Yeah, going full ITX build gets $$$ fast, although I think there are slim mATX stuff

sikkinixx

Generally, yes. Like laptops, you're often playing a premium for the smaller form factor, at least for some of the individual parts. And a lot of it depends on the size and shape of the case itself- whether it can utilize a normal-sized PSU, is there enough space to install and make use of a decent air cooler for the CPU and/or GPU, etc. For example with really small cases, you may be limited to a blower model for the GPU (since it exhausts air out of the back) or an AIO liquid cooler (which is pricey and possibly not worth the cost for a 460 and/or i3).

Awhile back I tried to spec out a build to house my old GTX 670, something like a Fractal Design Node 202 + Corsair 450 SFX + G4560 + wifi mobo, but in the end it was just more expensive than I wanted. For me, that was money that could be put towards a high-performance mid-tower rig in the future.

You could try for second-hand parts or buy them piece meal over various sales. The Nano S is a nice case if you aren't too constrained by space limitations, and it goes on sale often.

Yeah, going full ITX build gets $$$ fast, although I think there are slim mATX stuff

Hmm thanks for the feedback. At the budget I'd wanna spend it's probably not gonna pan out. And I can't have another big box laying around. Stupid Canadian dollar really puts a squeeze on budgets.

Saiyan-Rox

Dunno if this is the right place and it's a bit of a silly post but here goes

Anyone know what I could possibly use to stop my ultrawide monitor for moving about? seriously the stand the comes with it props it up from the centre but even slight typing on the same desk makes the screen go up and down and it's driving me nuts (In the UK BTW)

LordAlu

Dunno if this is the right place and it's a bit of a silly post but here goes

Anyone know what I could possibly use to stop my ultrawide monitor for moving about? seriously the stand the comes with it props it up from the centre but even slight typing on the same desk makes the screen go up and down and it's driving me nuts (In the UK BTW)
If it has a VESA mount you could mount it to the wall? Or screw a shelf into the wall slightly above desk height and put it on there? Or get a more stable desk?

I just picked up a Gigabye GTX 1070 Windforce OC for $334.24 off Amazon US.

It was a bit of an impulse buy. My current 7970 is starting to show it's age at 1080p ultra settings. I have been eyeing the 1060 6gb for a while waiting for it to get closer to $200. But with my Amazon Prime Visa I get 5% back plus I had like $30 credit so I figured why not treat myself to a new toy.

So PC gaf, please tell me I did a good thing and that I shouldn't have waited for the new AMD cards coming out soon.

Also I hope my 4770k at 4.2 doesn't create too much of a bottleneck.

Ostinatto

Gaming specifically. What Ryzen is good for is the balance of that and, well, basically everything else you might do with a PC. Streaming, modelling, video rendering? Get Ryzen.

Im just gonna play them games and neogaf.

---

Whats the differences between WD Blue and WD Purple for storage?

Moppeh

Banned
Will I be able to stream with a i5-7500? Or do I need something from the i7 series?

I'd like to stream and do some video editing without breaking the bank.

liezryou

Will I be able to stream with a i5-7500? Or do I need something from the i7 series?

If you are streaming or video editing, ryzen is far superior to intel. For 20$ more then the i5-7500 the ryzen 5 1600 will perform 100%+ better in pretty much anything that's not gaming applications. And even in gaming, it will perform on par or better than the 7500.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey

You should stream fine at 720p but multitasking is a different story.

Saiyan-Rox

If it has a VESA mount you could mount it to the wall? Or screw a shelf into the wall slightly above desk height and put it on there? Or get a more stable desk?

I have thought about wall mounting but drilling into the wall is something I'm not confident with doing :( I know id mess it up and the wall at the same time.

My desk is stable it doesn't move it's just the fact the monitor has one stand in the middle rather than two feet at each end so it jiggles when I type.

rtcn63

---

Purples are for surveillance use.

Blues... the 5200rpm models are for storage and the 7200rpm for desktop/gaming purposes. Blacks have longer warranties and are (I believe) physically better built for abuse.

I would not recommend getting a 7500 when the Ryzen 1600 or even the 1600X are on the market. You would be deliberately crippling yourself if you plan to stream/video-edit. The 1600 is like only $20 more than the relatively weak 4-core/4 thread 7500. I'd even recommend the 1600 over the 7600K.

Izuna

Banned
Is there a way to stream my entire desktop experience? Like, games and desktop seemlessly etc. Like screen capture

Ploid 3.0

There's a deal on SeaSonic M12ii 620 Fully Modular $38 ($58 minus $20 rebate.)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod..._M12II_620_Bronze_620W-_-17-151-095-_-Product

Ends in 8 hours. It was probably already brought up here, just repeating if so just so others may find it.

What is it with rebates though. I've been waiting on my Powercolor Red Devil rx 480 rebate for months. Well I haven't but getting this power supply reminded me of it. Do these companies do these rebate deals to draw attention to their product, then ignore the requests? "Oh we didn't really expect people to use the rebates..." They better honor these, and the case fans too. I sent Powercolor a email asking what the heck is up in a nice polite way.

Is there a way to stream my entire desktop experience? Like, games and desktop seemlessly etc. Like screen capture

OBS?

Open Broadcaster Software https://obsproject.com/

gotoadgo

I have thought about wall mounting but drilling into the wall is something I'm not confident with doing :( I know id mess it up and the wall at the same time.

My desk is stable it doesn't move it's just the fact the monitor has one stand in the middle rather than two feet at each end so it jiggles when I type.

The monitor is moving because your desk is, it can't move when you type unless the desk is moving below it. Unless you type so fast you create small gusts of wind.

Megabat

---

"Blue" is the budget line. It is, really, worse than "Purple" in every way -- despite a faster rate of rotation. "Purple" is aimed at surveillance use, so write speeds are much better. It will be quieter. It's very similar to the "Red" NAS drives.

You would, in general, have it in a RAID with a few identical drives, but they're fine on their own. Sometimes they show up cheaper than other stripes at certain capacities. I believe they're phasing out the smaller capacities, as I've seen 1TB Purples below $40 recently.

Megabat

You're probably okay with that CPU. You could also switch to a six-core AMD system.

If you're already going for H270/Z270, you could switch to a workstation motherboard and get a Xeon E3-1230 V5 -- four cores, eight threads, ~$50 cheaper than an i7. That will, in general, be faster than a Ryzen 5 1600 in games. Actually, if you're doing non-gaming video editing ("real" video editing (lol)), you might want to go the heck ahead and get ECC RAM (at a slight premium over standard DDR4).

Ostinatto

Whats a good/cheap Asus motherboard to put an Intel i7-7700.

the Asus Strix line is kind of expensive and luxurious amirite?

I just want a decent quantity of fast USB ports.

Celcius

°Temp. member
Meh, I've decided to skip the 1080 Ti and just continue to hang on to my 780 Ti for now.

What is it with rebates though. I've been waiting on my Powercolor Red Devil rx 480 rebate for months. Well I haven't but getting this power supply reminded me of it. Do these companies do these rebate deals to draw attention to their product, then ignore the requests? "Oh we didn't really expect people to use the rebates..." They better honor these, and the case fans too. I sent Powercolor a email asking what the heck is up in a nice polite way.

This is exactly why I don't like mail-in rebates :(

Mareg

Whelp my PSU just went boom with that horrible smell of burnt plastic. It all went very fast I had no time to intervene lol.

Guess I'll finally upgrade to some of these sweet modular PSUs. I've always tried to build clean uncluttered PCs and this transition should help.

However the timing couldn't be worst. I'm trying to save for a house. Now I'm debating if I should just wait for a couple months and build a new system or just change the PSU. Thing is I'm a couple of generations back with sandy bridge. I could probably use a leap at this point. If I wait, I'll probably sell my 1070 right now and build a complete beast toward the end of the year. I don't have much time to play anyways these days. Either that or I just buy a PSU. Mmmmh choices ^_^

rtcn63

Whelp my PSU just went boom with that horrible smell of burnt plastic. It all went very fast I had no time to intervene lol.

Guess I'll finally upgrade to some of these sweet modular PSUs. I've always tried to build clean uncluttered PCs and this transition should help.

However the timing couldn't be worst. I'm trying to save for a house. Now I'm debating if I should just wait for a couple months and build a new system or just change the PSU. Thing is I'm a couple of generations back with sandy bridge. I could probably use a leap at this point. If I wait, I'll probably sell my 1070 right now and build a complete beast toward the end of the year. I don't have much time to play anyways these days. Either that or I just buy a PSU. Mmmmh choices ^_^

Buy the PSU which you'll mostly likely be able to use for the future rig. A 1080ti full system power draw is ~400 watts to give you an idea.

killroy87

Hey guys, super dumb question. I want to build a super cheap gaming rig for my office. It won't be a beast, but I want it to be able to do 1080/60fps. If I were to buy this rig from Best Buy, would I be able to just throw a 580 in there?

I feel like this is a no brainer, just want to make sure there isn't anything random stopping me from upgrading the GPU here.

Edit: Looks like I'll need a new power supply too.

Megabat

Hey guys, super dumb question. I want to build a super cheap gaming rig for my office. It won't be a beast, but I want it to be able to do 1080/60fps. If I were to buy this rig from Best Buy, would I be able to just throw a 580 in there?

I feel like this is a no brainer, just want to make sure there isn't anything random stopping me from upgrading the GPU here.

Personally, I would get a 1050 Ti and a SATA SSD. You wouldn't need a new PSU, and heat and noise would be drastically smaller concerns. And I would imagine I don't have to illustrate the massive increase in quality of life with a flash-base boot drive.

How is that desktop $599.99? I know it's Canadian but what the fuck? And it even says you're saving $200. It's an absurd price at $600 but $800? Is that serious? It has a HDD, 8GBs RAM and no video card. I'm really confused.

But yeah I'm sure you could throw a 580 in there.

killroy87

How is that desktop $599.99? I know it's Canadian but what the fuck? And it even says you're saving $200. It's an absurd price at $600 but $800? Is that serious? It has a HDD, 8GBs RAM and no video card. I'm really confused.

I would be blown away if I could build the exact same thing for the same price, without having to do some real leg work getting parts from a bunch of different places. If anyone wants to show me a better way, I'm all ears.

liezryou

That thing has a 300W PSU that's probably the shittiest one they could find. There's no way that thing supports a 580. You would need a new PSU.

Megabat

I would be blown away if I could build the exact same thing for the same price, without having to do some real leg work getting parts from a bunch of different places. If anyone wants to show me a better way, I'm all ears.

That PC is just fine, in terms of cost. Just don't put a 150W GPU in there! If it were a workstation PC (XPS/ThinkStation), you could try it. But you would have have a bad time with that case.

Edit: Here is a PC you could build for the price of that ASUS system + a Radeon 580: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/92M6VY

Faster (but lower core-count) CPU, solid power supply, adequate cooling, SSD.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
For $600 you can just get one of those alienware things that are way better for gaming than that junk. You said you wanted it for gaming. Those things were made just for gaming.

Well I guess looking at Newegg CA prices a comparable system minus replacing HDD with SSD is about the same when you figure in a DVD ROM, CPU cooler and Windows license. Now if it really were $799.99, that'd be crazy.

Glassboy

Just an FYI, I walked into costco yesterday......snuck behind this woman, pretending to be her husband, as I'm not a member......to make my way to the electronics section......

Wherein, I found this:

(yes I have an all-year christmas tree)

Now for the good part. It was Four hundred and ninety-nine US dollars. That's about 300 less than anywhere else. So, as anyone would do...... I hid the monitor in the home-goods section, and signed up at the front desk. Now I'm a costco member and I have this awesome panel. A great Saturday.

(To clarify, this is the 27" IPS 165hz Gsync one, not the TN panel. )
My friend and I work at Costco. I got one for $499.99 and he got the display for $350.00. It had a couple finger prints but was never even turned on. I wasn't even mad that he got it cheaper because the monitor is so awesome

Are ITX builds really considered expensive? I mean, the higher end motherboards are certainly expensive but the same can be said about premium motherboards in general. The cases are about the same price as standard cases, and the same can be said about coolers. Really, the only thing that really is more expensive would be the PSU, but there are plenty of ITX cases that accept an ATX PSU.

Mozendo

ITX builds used to be a lot more expensive but after the demands of more SFF parts the prices of Mobos and cases dropped and we've gotten budget options as well.

killroy87

That PC is just fine, in terms of cost. Just don't put a 150W GPU in there! If it were a workstation PC (XPS/ThinkStation), you could try it. But you would have have a bad time with that case.

Edit: Here is a PC you could build for the price of that ASUS system + a Radeon 580: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/92M6VY

Faster (but lower core-count) CPU, solid power supply, adequate cooling, SSD.

That would be great, but I'm in Canada. I'll try building out that rig when I get a chance just to see, but it'll definitely be a couple hundred more.

ISee

Anybody try Fallout 4 with the ultra texture update? Is it worth it?

They're slightly better if you stand right next to objects. It's not a mind-blowing patch, especially not for the file size.

I just picked up a Gigabye GTX 1070 Windforce OC for $334.24 off Amazon US.

It was a bit of an impulse buy. My current 7970 is starting to show it's age at 1080p ultra settings. I have been eyeing the 1060 6gb for a while waiting for it to get closer to $200. But with my Amazon Prime Visa I get 5% back plus I had like $30 credit so I figured why not treat myself to a new toy.

So PC gaf, please tell me I did a good thing and that I shouldn't have waited for the new AMD cards coming out soon.

Also I hope my 4770k at 4.2 doesn't create too much of a bottleneck.

Your 4770k is not a problem at all.

The GTX 1070 Windforce OC is a good card. Cooling is effective and it's not too loud. Only reason why Gigabytes G1 and Windforce series aren't doing as good as last time with maxwell: They only have one 8 pin power connector and you may run into power limits when manually overclocking. Still, ~2gz should be possible and the gigabyte cooler is able to handle the extra heat with ease. If you don't plan to manually overclock, it's not a factor at all.

No idea how fast or expansive vega is going to be. There is currently one 3d mark database entry of a card that could be a vega prototype. In this benchmark the card is faster than a 1070 but still way behind a 1080. There is also a screenshot showing of another card that could be a vega prototype with performance around 1080Ti oc levels, but there is no database entry for it...
Are these clues? Will there be several vega cards with different levels of performance? Will Vega cost under $400? Nobody knows. All I can tell you: The 1070 is a substantial upgrade from your 7970, you bought it at a good price, it is a very capable 1080/60/Ultra card (reasonable ultra settings!) and there will always be something better if you wait long enough.

MoonGred

Just buy a new PSU, it will last you a while and they're not that expensive.

My personal recommendations would be the EVGA supernova series.

Top Bottom