• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

AtlantiC_CodeX

Neo Member
Took a second look, this seemed to fit your intended price range:
http://www.vuugo.com/asrock-motherboards-B250M-HDV.html?tracking=5108053939762

As to the case, I'm pretty sure it can take aircooling, it's just that if spending that much on a case it'd be typically expected to be paired with an AIO cooler. Make sure to get something under the CPU height of 161 mm. Which if you stuck with the provided intel CPU, will be fine.

Edit: Apologies for double post

I'm just gonna get the Gigabyte B250 mATX. I just wanted to know if the 2400 ram would run as fast on the Gigabyte B250 mATX as it would on the msi B250?

Also for the NZXT, the built in fans would be enough? as I won't be getting any additional ones for either the case or the cpu.

Also would getting a refurbished GPU be a good idea? I want to get this one because it's cheaper and runs at a higher speed but it's refurbished. The alternative would be this one. Which one should I get?

NEO0MJ

Seeing that the Scorpio is gonna be $499 I wanna upgrade my GTX 780, so I've been looking at the Evga products and have found these 1070 and 1080 cards, but what would be the one to buy for the price? I'm thinking the 1070 would give me the most for the bucks?

1080 FTW Edition ($711)

1070 Superclocked ($538)

I'd go with either one of these two. For a 32% increase in price you get around 25% increase in performance. Whether or not you think it's worth it is up to you. If you're using a 1440p/over 60 refresh rate monitor it might be better to go with the 1080.

Jezbollah

Seeing that the Scorpio is gonna be $499 I wanna upgrade my GTX 780, so I've been looking at the Evga products and have found these 1070 and 1080 cards, but what would be the one to buy for the price? I'm thinking the 1070 would give me the most for the bucks?

1080 Founders Edition ($735)
1080 FTW Edition ($711)
1080 Superclocked ($875)

1070 Founders Edition ($618)
1070 FTW Edition ($562)
1070 Superclocked ($538)

For a question like this you really need to be saying what res you intend to game at, and what kind of games you intend to run.

I'm just gonna get the Gigabyte B250 mATX. I just wanted to know if the 2400 ram would run as fast on the Gigabyte B250 mATX as it would on the msi B250?

Also for the NZXT, the built in fans would be enough? as I won't be getting any additional ones for either the case or the cpu.

Also would getting a refurbished GPU be a good idea? I want to get this one because it's cheaper and runs at a higher speed but it's refurbished. The alternative would be this one. Which one should I get?

Should run fine. Just set it to run with the XMP profile (DDR4 RAM runs at 2133Mhz by default).

As to the case, just double checked, and it doesn't include front fans. Back and top yes, but nothing in the front. That's... probably not do for air flow.

Refurbished cards should be fine though. I'd honestly recommend the one with two ones since it'll have better cooling, and marginally higher performance. And yes, cheaper to boot.

Pachimari

I'd go with either one of these two. For a 32% increase in price you get around 25% increase in performance. Whether or not you think it's worth it is up to you. If you're using a 1440p/over 60 refresh rate monitor it might be better to go with the 1080.

For a question like this you really need to be saying what res you intend to game at, and what kind of games you intend to run.

I would like to play games on Ultra, I play basically all games, and the latest ones. But my monitors are some cheap Acer S240HL 1080p 60hz ones. I think I would like to downsample from 4K.

AtlantiC_CodeX

Neo Member
Should run fine. Just set it to run with the XMP profile (DDR4 RAM runs at 2133Mhz by default).

As to the case, just double checked, and it doesn't include front fans. Back and top yes, but nothing in the front. That's... probably not do for air flow.

Refurbished cards should be fine though. I'd honestly recommend the one with two ones since it'll have better cooling, and marginally higher performance. And yes, cheaper to boot.

I mean I want them to run at 2400, would they be running at 2400 on the Gigabyte? Since I saw a video recommending the MSI because they'd be able to run the rams as fast as they'll go and I don't know if they'll be running as fast on the Gigabyte.

As for the case, It wouldn't need a front fan would it? Basically I just want to confirm that It'll run just fine what I'm getting before I order it.

I'll be getting the refurbished GPU then, thanks.

I mean I want them to run at 2400, would they be running at 2400 on the Gigabyte? Since I saw a video recommending the MSI because they'd be able to run the rams as fast as they'll go and I don't know if they'll be running as fast on the Gigabyte.

As for the case, It wouldn't need a front fan would it? Basically I just want to confirm that It'll run just fine what I'm getting before I order it.

I'll be getting the refurbished GPU then, thanks.

Yes, it will run as fast. Pretty much every DDR4 capable board will run the RAM up to at least 2400 Mhz.

Well, the thing with front fans is they're usually the primary source of incoming air for your case. I suppose you may have the top fan in that regard, but it may also be primarily set as outflow. So your airflow would be entirely reliant on the pressure differential. It'll run, but your temperatures may not be good as could (though probably not outright disastrous either).

sikkinixx

Anyone use a Logitech G Pro keyboard? Watched a bunch of YouTube videos on it and it looks pretty snazzy. I've ordered a G203 mouse too so the software all goes together. I have a small desk so the TKL is nice. $150cdn is steep though and no where seems to have it to try out.

SOLDIER

Did you install any particular new apps or updates the previous week? Have you tried to reinstall Overwatch and see if that helps?

As far as apps go, that's hard to check since Control Panel lists all sorts of random games I've already got installed. Not sure if it does that because of updates or something.

As for updates, nothing aside from keeping Nvidia and Windows 10 up to date.

AtlantiC_CodeX

Neo Member
Yes, it will run as fast. Pretty much every DDR4 capable board will run the RAM up to at least 2400 Mhz.

Well, the thing with front fans is they're usually the primary source of incoming air for your case. I suppose you may have the top fan in that regard, but it may also be primarily set as outflow. So your airflow would be entirely reliant on the pressure differential. It'll run, but your temperatures may not be good as could (though probably not outright disastrous either).

So I should be good with the case.

Okay I know I asked you allot of questions but this is the last one I promise ^^"

Would this power supply be good for my what I have?

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6fsJQV
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6fsJQV/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4600 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($113.99 @ PC Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Corsair - Neutron XTi 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card ($206.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($92.75 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: CoolMax - 500W ATX Power Supply ($20.82 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $829.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-11 23:26 EDT-0400

Here's my current final list.

Bloodember

So I should be good with the case.

Okay I know I asked you allot of questions but this is the last one I promise ^^"

Would this power supply be good for my what I have?

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6fsJQV
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/6fsJQV/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4600 3.6GHz Dual-Core Processor ($113.99 @ PC Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-B250M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Corsair - Neutron XTi 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SSC GAMING ACX 3.0 Video Card ($206.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: NZXT - S340 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($92.75 @ Vuugo)
Power Supply: CoolMax - 500W ATX Power Supply ($20.82 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $829.48
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-11 23:26 EDT-0400

Here's my current final list.

I'll answer that. NO!!! Never skimp on your power supply, get a seasonic, corsair or EVGA. 500W will do fine just not that brand.

If you need help, go with this one. EVGA 500w

Easy Breezy

Neo Member
Your Current Specs: All in one PC that can't play games well. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Budget: around 2.5kish (not including peripherals) Australia

Main Use: Rate 1-5. 5 being Highest: Gaming, Light Gaming, General Usage

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at? Haven't decided yet

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Not a big PC gamer but the games I do end up playing I'd like for them to play well (Hearts of Iron IV is the main one, Cities) I'd most likely play Xbox play anywhere titles if my PC were capable of doing so. I've never had a gaming PC so I'd probably end up playing a lot of games there were impossible for me to play on my current/past PC's.

Is 30FPS acceptable? 60? 144? How important is PhysX / SuperSampling / CUDA / GSYNC / FREESYNC to you? At least 60 would be nice, but I don't really mind as long as it's stable.

Looking to reuse any parts?: List make and model (e.g. Corsair 750TX, 640GB SATA HDD, Antec 900) No

When will you build?: Do you have a deadline? How long can you wait? Hopefully within the next 1-2 months if I can finally get myself to pull the trigger and stop being a tight arse :p, but I can get the GPU as soon as today.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes, No, Maybe (This means yes!) Maybe

The parts I picked are probably way overkill for what I'd end up using it for, but I thought why not spend a bit extra for better parts when I'm already considering spending this much? Am I an idiot for thinking like this?

CPU: Intel -Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor - $468
CPU Cooler: At the moment I like the Cryorig H5 Universal ($49), but I'm interested in the Cryorig Quad Lumi coming this month
Motherboard: ASRock - Z270 Taichi ATX LGA1151 Motherboard - $315
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory - $220
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - $138
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive - $94
Video Card: GALAX - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB EX OC SNPR White Video Card - $749
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case - $149
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply - $155
Total:$2524

I chose some parts that cost a little extra purely based on looks which I feel really stupid for doing (mainly the Mobo, but I do like the features it has). Main questions relating to the parts above:
Is the storage ok, or is there better options for around the same price?
Is the power supply enough for the above build?
and am I an idiot for picking certain parts?

NEO0MJ

I would like to play games on Ultra, I play basically all games, and the latest ones. But my monitors are some cheap Acer S240HL 1080p 60hz ones. I think I would like to downsample from 4K.

The 1070 should be able to handle most games on ultra at 1080p. If you want to downsample from 4K though you'll need the 1080 ti as the regular 1080 can't get a solid 60 FPS without sacrificing some graphical settings. The 1080 can handle 1440p, though.

Roarer

So I'm sure this has been discussed to death already and there probably aren't any simple answers, but what would be the most future proof CPU upgrade right now? I've always been an Intel guy, and just looking at benchmarks, the i5s and i7s are still on top of the game. Ryzen 5 and 7 are fairly close performance wise to their Intel counterparts, and around the same price point, but I'm curious to see how things play out in a couple of years.

I guess my question is this: Are we expecting to see a move towards games utilizing more cores and threads in the future? If an i5 performs slightly better than a Ryzen 5 in today's games, is it reasonable to expect the Ryzen 5 to catch up and surpass it in the game years as DX12/Vulcan takes off and multi threaded optimization becomes more common?

To clarify, I'm just talking about games here. I don't do any kind of productivity or heavy work loads, and I know that more cores and threads are already being utilized there.

Edit: I'm coming off of an i5 2500k (@4.5 Ghz) and while an i7 7700k seems like the best long term investment, I'm curious whether a Ryzen 5 1600x could prove to have longer (or as long) legs AND be cheaper as well...

Ok, so I need a bit of help with upgrading to a newer monitor. Size, to be exact.

Right now I have a 1920x1080 23" screen (from 2009, all yellowed, bulky, and height can't be regulated so I have it on some sort of wodden stand) on a 120x60 cm desk. i'm looking for something new, (LCD or IPS, still deciding), while still keeping it at FullHD. The problem is that there aren't a lot of options, specially on 23 or 24".

I have been recommended to go up in size to 27", but.. Is that feasible on a 60 cm wide desk? There's no physical space to increase the desk to 80cm.

RS4-

Ok, so I need a bit of help with upgrading to a newer monitor. Size, to be exact.

Right now I have a 1920x1080 23" screen (from 2009, all yellowed, bulky, and height can't be regulated so I have it on some sort of wodden stand) on a 120x60 cm desk. i'm looking for something new, (LCD or IPS, still deciding), while still keeping it at FullHD. The problem is that there aren't a lot of options, specially on 23 or 24".

I have been recommended to go up in size to 27", but.. Is that feasible on a 60 cm wide desk? There's no physical space to increase the desk to 80cm.

Sounds like an Ikea desk. Possible to wall mount the thing, or just get a monitor arm? I guess it's because of the lack of depth, with a keyboard, space for resting your arms, and the monitor stand?

Sounds like an Ikea desk. Possible to wall mount the thing, or just get a monitor arm? I guess it's because of the lack of depth, with a keyboard, space for resting your arms, and the monitor stand?

Totally Ikea. It's more about the eye to screen distance. My keyboard is a bit oversized, but I plan to go smaller.

A really old pic: Most things have changed, but it's still the same screen.

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/0nONkDN.jpg[/img]

That screen has a round centered base and it's quite bulky too. I suppose that I would gain a few extra cm with something more modern, but I feel 24" is enough.

This is my office setup, 24" on a 80 cm depth:

Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/D2xCSnE.jpg[/img]

I feel like this is pretty ok and I would not want to go bigger. This is what I have in my sights:

https://www.amazon.es/dp/B01DO6B83E/

Livanh

Man, fuck the GPU prices at the moment.

My 970 burned out last week and i kinda planed to built a new pc anyway. So i just wanted to stick something in my current rig to be able to use it until a full upgrade. Over the weekend the price for the 1050ti went from 130€ to 200€.

Vega cant come soon enough to hopefully restore some sanity at the gpu market.

rtcn63

Man, fuck the GPU prices at the moment.

My 970 burned out last week and i kinda planed to built a new pc anyway. So i just wanted to stick something in my current rig to be able to use it until a full upgrade. Over the weekend the price for the 1050ti went from 130€ to 200€.

Vega cant come soon enough to hopefully restore some sanity at the gpu market.

That's probably because with the stock of AMD cards so low due to mining-demand, retailers can price gouge for Nvidia cards because what other option is there if you're looking for a GPU.

And if Vega turns out be mine-friendly..

blakdeth

That's probably because with the stock of AMD cards so low due to mining-demand, retailers can price gouge for Nvidia cards because what other option is there if you're looking for a GPU.

Makes me think I should get into mining. :O

Need some monitor advice. Currently have a 1920x1200 24" Dell IPS that's about 5-6 years old. Kind of feeling the itch to get a new monitor but there are some significant caveats:

-80% of my PC gaming is on a 1080p TV. I don't expect that change much even with a new monitor but who knows.

-I pretty much keep to the x70 line of cards- ie bought a 970 at release and then moved to a 1070 at release last year. I try to keep 60 fps as much as possible which is easy at 1080p or 1200p. I'm dubious on moving to much higher resolution.

With those caveats- are there any monitors that someone might recommend? Mainly thinking of something that might distinguish itself from the experience I'm getting now (1080p/60). Thinking higher framerate monitor, GSync, bigger resolution, or ultrawide since all have the potential to give me something different or unique but don't know how feasible they are with that class of video card.

No specific budget in mind.

Thanks.

Thewonandonly

Yo this seems like a good place to ask right now. After the Xbox confrence I don't want the Xbox one x and instead would rather build a pc. Exspecialky seeing fallout 4 and doom in VR really makes me want a vive.

Questions?

How much would it cost roughly to have a pc that can run vive. Also I have a 4K hdr 55 inch Sony so would it work if I build a pc then just use it as a console by connecting it to my tv. Also that is where the vive would work the best so it will go there. Anyway how much would just the pc be without a monitor and stuff?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yo this seems like a good place to ask right now. After the Xbox confrence I don't want the Xbox one x and instead would rather build a pc. Exspecialky seeing fallout 4 and doom in VR really makes me want a vive.

Questions?

How much would it cost roughly to have a pc that can run vive. Also I have a 4K hdr 55 inch Sony so would it work if I build a pc then just use it as a console by connecting it to my tv. Also that is where the vive would work the best so it will go there. Anyway how much would just the pc be without a monitor and stuff?

you'd be looking at starting around 1.2kish? depends on what kinda framerates you want - i'm guessing on a 4k tv 30-60 would be your range? do you need everything maxed out ultimate all features turned on or would you settle for less?

Thewonandonly

you'd be looking at starting around 1.2kish? depends on what kinda framerates you want - i'm guessing on a 4k tv 30-60 would be your range? do you need everything maxed out ultimate all features turned on or would you settle for less?
Ya frame rate really never bothered me but I would like to get hdr and 4K if possible and 1.2 is a little much but honestly not terrible

Livanh

Thats probably true. Still sucks for someone who kinda has to buy a GPU now. I still hope that new cards will mean a somewhat more reasonable price for mid range cards, even if they are a generation old. Right now its seems like its always a bad choice -.-

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Ya frame rate really never bothered me but I would like to get hdr and 4K if possible and 1.2 is a little much but honestly not terrible

tbh i'm not super familiar with 4k requirements but you're probably looking at something like this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($195.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock - AB350M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($126.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.44 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1176.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-12 13:23 EDT-0400

and it's possible you would be fine with a gtx1070 which would be about 100 less

LordAlu

When is intel's new processor line supposed to be reasing? I thought it was this month.
They actually only just mentioned it an hour ago at E3 - pre-orders start next week for the up-to-10 core versions, then the rest are staged releases through to the end of August.

draliko

After Ms conference yesterday i decided to update my pc so i'll be ready for the upcoming games(especially fh7) and for destiny2 (still not sure which version to buy, ps4pro or pc).
Actually a i have a 2500k @ 4.0ghz air cooled (forgot which cooler probably a cm hyper something, got to check it later) with a 1070 and 8gb ram, reading a bit around seems like moving to a 1600x should be nice (better framerate consistency, extra cores, ddr4 rams) and looking on amazon.it (italiangaf if you have suggestion on other italian shop they're welcome :) ) i planned to buy this:

GSkill F4-3200C116D-16GTZKW RAM 8 GB, DDR4, 3200 MHz, CL15, Kit 2 Pz, Black
EUR 128,81

be quiet! Pure Rock CPU Cooler (if my cooler suck)
EUR 39,24

ARCTIC MX-4 (4g)
EUR 7,09

AMD Ryzen 5 1600x 3.6GHz processor
EUR 252,03

MSI B350M MORTAR ARCTIC AMD B350 Socket AM4 Micro ATX
EUR 101,90

i already have a samsung ssd and i'll get a gsync monitor in the next months (still on the fence to get one with hdr or with gsync, prolly a 1440p one)
Do you have any suggestion guys?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
After Ms conference yesterday i decided to update my pc so i'll be ready for the upcoming games(especially fh7) and for destiny2 (still not sure which version to buy, ps4pro or pc).
Actually a i have a 2500k @ 4.0ghz air cooled (forgot which cooler probably a cm hyper something, got to check it later) with a 1070 and 8gb ram, reading a bit around seems like moving to a 1600x should be nice (better framerate consistency, extra cores, ddr4 rams) and looking on amazon.it (italiangaf if you have suggestion on other italian shop they're welcome :) ) i planned to buy this:

GSkill F4-3200C116D-16GTZKW RAM 8 GB, DDR4, 3200 MHz, CL15, Kit 2 Pz, Black
EUR 128,81

be quiet! Pure Rock CPU Cooler (if my cooler suck)
EUR 39,24

ARCTIC MX-4 (4g)
EUR 7,09

AMD Ryzen 5 1600x 3.6GHz processor
EUR 252,03

MSI B350M MORTAR ARCTIC AMD B350 Socket AM4 Micro ATX
EUR 101,90

i already have a samsung ssd and i'll get a gsync monitor in the next months (still on the fence to get one with hdr or with gsync, prolly a 1440p one)
Do you have any suggestion guys?

if you're buying a new cooler that will come with thermal paste - only buy a new tube if you plan on reusing your old one.

Hey guys i was wondering what your opinions on the 2011 27 inch Thunderbolt display are?

I am getting a decent price on a used one in mint condition, and it will surely be sold if I dither too long. I also have a 27in Ultra sharp Dell U2715H coming to me tomorrow. I can return that. The Thunderbolt would not be returnable but I could sell it for more than the price I would buy it at which is £400, if I wanted to.

It's a bit of hassle to get, and the thunderbolt screen is a bit too glossy, the bezels are kinda big, but it's still such an attractive looking screen, I feel like I should just get it and see which of the two I like. It's just to do work and some graphics work on, and some indie gaming, since my MBP will be driving it.

Hey guys i was wondering what your opinions on the 2011 27 inch Thunderbolt display are?

I am getting a decent price on a used one in mint condition, and it will surely be sold if I dither too long. I also have a 27in Ultra sharp Dell U2715H coming to me tomorrow. I can return that. The Thunderbolt would not be returnable but I could sell it for more than the price I would buy it at which is £400, if I wanted to.

It's a bit of hassle to get, and the thunderbolt screen is a bit too glossy, the bezels are kinda big, but it's still such an attractive looking screen, I feel like I should just get it and see which of the two I like. It's just to do work and some graphics work on, and some indie gaming, since my MBP will be driving it.

There's a handful of 1440/60 IPS screens that are just as good and likely cheaper. Plus actually have HDMI ports and stuff.

Mine worked great when I'm working on my MBP. But it's a discontinued Asus model. ;)

So is there a specific 1080 ti model that's considered the hotness right now? I have a 980 ti, but I'm thinking it'll be time to upgrade with all the great stuff coming later this year. I was looking at the EVGA cards because they typically do right by me, but the different models look pretty identical.

rob_lh

Neo Member
So is there a specific 1080 ti model that's considered the hotness right now? I have a 980 ti, but I'm thinking it'll be time to upgrade with all the great stuff coming later this year. I was looking at the EVGA cards because they typically do right by me, but the different models look pretty identical.

I don't think there's a huge difference in the 1080 Ti's ATM. The major differences are the cooling solutions, form factors, and aesthetics being offered. EVGA, Asus, and MSI seem to have the best stuff but it's all about equivalent in terms of clocks and noise.

Edit cuz I got MSI and Gigabyte mixed up.

NEO0MJ

The Zotac Amp Extreme seems to be the fastest one right now but I don't think it's that significant a factor. What I do know is that there are people complaining about issues with the Gigabyte Aorus so it might be better to avoid that one for now. There doesn't seem to be full consensus on which is best between EVGA, ASUS, and MSI.
You can check the review thread for impressions about them.

kuYuri

You sure about that? 23'' and 24'' monitors are the most common size these days for 1920x1080 resolution.

Just looking at Amazon and filtering those specs, I'm getting some 300 results.

https://www.amazon.es/s/ref=sr_nr_p...7992031&ie=UTF8&qid=1497313046&rnid=949747031

Kolle

Neo Member
Hi Gaf, first time poster here.

Does anyone have experience with GPUs with AIO liquid cooling?
Pump noise, quality and temperatures or if it's even worth it?

rtcn63

Hi Gaf, first time poster here.

Does anyone have experience with GPUs with AIO liquid cooling?
Pump noise, quality and temperatures or if it's even worth it?

Generally, you only want to get an AIO model because your use-case demands it (or it's heavily discounted). I.e. your PC tower can't properly house and/or doesn't have enough airflow for a GPU equipped with a decent air cooler (Gaming X, SC2, Strix, et al).

Also realize that AIO pumps and tubes have a limited lifespan, usually around 5-6 years.

wamberz1

Yo build-a-pc Gaf, I suck at computers and I'm looking for some recommendations for upgrades. Tired of not being able to run dishonored 2, PUBG or Doom at all. Yes I know they have performance issues but the setup I have now literally cant even run them properly at lower than 1080p. If it could also do VR (vive specifically) that would be great... but I'm expecting that would be a rather pricey upgrade.

Your Current Specs: Processor: AMD A6-3670 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 2700 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Ram: 8.00
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 series
PSU: Dont have the time to check right now but I know its 500 watt
Case: Not sure, should be irrelevant anyways
HDD: a 100 Gb SD for windows and a 2TB drive for everything else

Budget: 400, Canada. Willing to go up to mayyyyybe 600.
Main Use: Mostly games with occasional adobe program usage. Not anything like heavy rendering from After Effects though. I mostly just want it to be able to run most modern games.(see above)

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at: Just 1080p is fine. I really just want to run these games at a consistent frame rate at this point without having to drop the ingame resolution to 1600x900 or whatever.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:See Above.

Looking to reuse any parts?: i don't think so.
When will you build?: It's either going to be in the next 3 days or a few weeks from now. Go a trip coming up, and want to bring my PC with me. If not I can just wait till I get back for the upgrade.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes I guess

Extra note: Due to various reasons its extremely difficult for me to order things online, so I'll probably be getting anything that is recommended from a Canada computers here in Toronto.

I'm not looking for a total remake, just a new piece or two will do. Maybe just a new graphics card? I heard about that new cheap AMD one?

Thank you for your time and apologies if I screwed anything up :)

Kolle

Neo Member
Generally, you only want to get an AIO model because your use-case demands it (or it's heavily discounted). I.e. your PC tower can't properly house and/or doesn't have enough airflow for a GPU equipped with a decent air cooler (Gaming X, SC2, Strix, et al).

Also realize that AIO pumps and tubes have a limited lifespan, usually around 5-6 years.

Hmm okay, airflow isn't a problem in my case. But aren't they also much more quiet?

Top Bottom