• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Can you link me to one of these mythical $200 1060 6GB's? The ones I am finding are ~$250 or more.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?N=100007709 600358543&IsNodeId=1&Submit=ENE
Be frugal on slickdeals. They go for $200-$225 all the time.

Either way don't even think about paying anything close to $200 for a used 970.

Edit: here is the best deal I could find at this moment.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/467419/GeForce_GTX_1060_6GB_Video_Card

If you were considering paying $225 for a used 970, then paying $239 for a new 1060 before rebate is an okay deal, but if you're patient you could get one for around $200.

Hylian7

Be frugal on slickdeals. They go for $200-$225 all the time.

Either way don't even think about paying anything close to $200 for a used 970.

Edit: here is the best deal I could find at this moment.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/467419/GeForce_GTX_1060_6GB_Video_Card

If you were considering paying $225 for a used 970, then paying $239 for a new 1060 before rebate is an okay deal, but if you're patient you could get one for around $200.

Thanks. I'll look for a cheaper 1060 then. Sadly that Micro Center one isn't going to work since it's in store pickup only. I live in Austin and the closest stores are only in Dallas and Houston.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Thanks. I'll look for a cheaper 1060 then. Sadly that Micro Center one isn't going to work since it's in store pickup only. I live in Austin and the closest stores are only in Dallas and Houston.
But for real don't even consider the 970. If it were new then $200 is still high.

I looked at amazon, newegg and microcenter and I just have to say that right now just is a terrible time to get a graphics card. No good deals to be had, which surprises me since all of these cards have been put for awhile.

All of the Radeons are priced too high. Not much in the way of GeForce 1060 sales either.

rob_lh

Neo Member
But for real don't even consider the 970. If it were new then $200 is still high.

I looked at amazon, newegg and microcenter and I just have to say that right now just is a terrible time to get a graphics card. No good deals to be had, which surprises me since all of these cards have been put for awhile.

All of the Radeons are priced too high. Not much in the way of GeForce 1060 sales either.

It's the boom in cryptocurrencies, specifically Ethereum. Cryptominers are buying up all the inventory so there are few specials. That said, if you've got an RX 480 8 GB, now's a great time to sell it - you can get over $400 with some going for over $500. Sell an RX 480, get a GTX 1080. Not too shabby.

Broseybrose

Im looking for the best Bang for Buck GPU. Hopefully in the $250-$350 range.

That 1060 linked above looks pretty nice...

Is that the one to get?

CPU is Core i5.

Thanks for the tip, but my CPU will be a bottleneck, I think, even with the 1060. Its a 1st gen Core i5 2500.

It will depend on the game. Every seen people running ultrabooks with external GPUs?:D you'd be surprised how some games take major major advantage of GPU!

But it depends on the game. If youre into RTS and MMOs, you're out of luck. They usually like fast CPUs for the large worlds and many objects. The more dense games with smaller levels tend to run better on older CPUs. (in my experience).

If you can stomach the 1070, I think it would serve you a lot longer. I mean- if the 1060 will get long in the tooth within 3 years, the 1070 might still chug along considerable longer. My 470 was a beast for a really really long time. It kept up until the 970 came out.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Thanks for the tip, but my CPU will be a bottleneck, I think, even with the 1060. Its a 1st gen Core i5 2500.
The I5 2500 is still a beast and the 1070 will hold up for several years, it won't be nearly as bottlenecked for 90% of games as you'd think
Of course if it's too much or you feel it's not worth it, the 1060 is still a great option but definitely consider a 1070 as well

Broseybrose

Awesome. Thanks for the replies guys! Ill keep my eyes on this thread for a deal.

Im in no rush to buy. Ive been running a backup GPU for almost a year now. But it'll feel awesome to be able to open Steam again and play some games that arent mobile lol.

I also find it funny how the last game I bought on PC was Rocket League and that's the game Newegg is giving away with a 1060 purchase.

rtcn63

Awesome. Thanks for the replies guys! Ill keep my eyes on this thread for a deal.

Im in no rush to buy. Ive been running a backup GPU for almost a year now. But it'll feel awesome to be able to open Steam again and play some games that arent mobile lol.

I also find it funny how the last game I bought on PC was Rocket League and that's the game Newegg is giving away with a 1060 purchase.

As long as you're not shooting for above 1080p/60fps (although maybe low-medium settings in the more CPU-bound games). I have an older i5 (albeit overclocked) and a 1060.

Big Chungus

Can you use a different source, like hook up a console to the monitor? If not, do you have integrated graphics on your mobo? Check that too. If the monitor shows up fine, its your GPU.

Try the hdmi/dvi on the gpu and monitor.

Connected a switch to the monitor and the problem was there at first but now its gone away...

:S

Jabronium

Lol yeah, I don't really care for what really amounts to two 1080p screens together.

Need 3440x1440 or 3840x1620 or whatever iti s.

I'm with you. Ultrawide or 4K are what I'm eyeing. Hopefully Vega isn't a bust. The G-sync tax probably puts those out of reach.

Finally finished building my system!

Here are my final specs:

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX TG
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus IX Hero
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700k
Cooler: Corsair H100i v2
RAM: 16 Gb G.SKILL Trident Z RGB at 3200Mhz
GPU: EVGA nVidia GeForce GTX 1080 FTW DT
PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 650w

Was a great experience all told! I am very impressed with how it runs everything so far!

shanafan

I build a new system a few days ago, and it's a brand new motherboard (ASUS Maximus IX Hero with a i7-7700k). If I have to restart my computer, it will usually hang at the attached screen. I give it like 1-2 minutes, but nothing happens. I press the manual reset button, and my PC reboots and passes the screen in 2-3 seconds.

Any idea why it hangs at this screen? I have reset my BIOS settings to optimized settings. I haven't nor done any OC.

Thanks!

srlLPCM.jpg

How much do sound cards matter/help with basic usage (streaming and gaming mainly)? I have a Xonar DG I bought for $30 in 2011 and I'm wondering if it is even worth adding to my new build. Is onboard audio good enough these days?

RS4-

How much do sound cards matter/help with basic usage (streaming and gaming mainly)? I have a Xonar DG I bought for $30 in 2011 and I'm wondering if it is even worth adding to my new build. Is onboard audio good enough these days?
Depends on the audio codec on the mobo. It's probably decent enough that you won't notice a difference in sound quality. The DG just gives you options, and it has a headphone amp.

NEO0MJ

So I finally bought my PC (went a little over budget though) and I was wondering which version of windows 10 I should go for from the downloader. I just bought a 10 pro key from play asia.
The options were 10, 10 Home Single Langauge, and 10 N. Went with 10 but I would like some confirmation. Also, other than the latest Nvidia driver what else should I download?

Depends on the audio codec on the mobo. It's probably decent enough that you won't notice a difference in sound quality. The DG just gives you options, and it has a headphone amp.

Thanks. Due to the location of my PC (on my wooden floor), I always use the front-side audio jack for my headphones anyway. I think I'll just sell off or give away the Xonar DG for cheap once I get my new build up and running if it all sounds fine to me without the card. Less clutter in the case.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
So I finally bought my PC (went a little over budget though) and I was wondering which version of windows 10 I should go for from the downloader. I just bought a 10 pro key from play asia.
The options were 10, 10 Home Single Langauge, and 10 N. Went with 10 but I would like some confirmation. Also, other than the latest Nvidia driver what else should I download?
10 is fine

Get all your Mobo driver's as well: chipset, LAN, etc

TaterTots

Banned
Still waiting for something to make me want to upgrade. I built a budget PC in 2015 with a i3 4130, gtx 960, and 16 GB's of RAM. Every game I play runs great at 1080p. Newest game I have is Tekken 7 and its locked at 60 fps during game play on Ultra. Eventually, it's going to happen, but I'll probably grab a i5 4690k and upgrade my gpu instead of a complete new build.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I build a new system a few days ago, and it's a brand new motherboard (ASUS Maximus IX Hero with a i7-7700k). If I have to restart my computer, it will usually hang at the attached screen. I give it like 1-2 minutes, but nothing happens. I press the manual reset button, and my PC reboots and passes the screen in 2-3 seconds.

Any idea why it hangs at this screen? I have reset my BIOS settings to optimized settings. I haven't nor done any OC.

Thanks!

I have the same motherboard & cpu and haven't had that problem when restarting... have you tried updating to the latest bios?
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-IX-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/
"MAXIMUS IX HERO BIOS 0906"

Also, are you running overclocked? (if so, I'd double check if it's stable and also if so does it happen when running at stock?)

Tech Enthusiasts!

I currently game at 1440p/60hz with a strix 980 ti and i5 3570k @4.2ghz.

I have been to a friend's house recently who is playing on a rog swift pg279q 1440p/165hz with GSync and it was quite the eye opener.

Let's say I want to jump in the high refresh rate gaming monitors. From what I understand, G-Sync helps you when you can't quite achieve the fps amount of your refresh rate to remove tearing/lag. I assume it's better to have a rig powerful enough to achieve that high fps that matches your monitor's rate or as close as it can VS doing just 60FPS and hoping that G-SYNC will make everything silky smooth.

Did I get the idea wrong about g-sync and how to achieve best performances with high refresh rate monitors?

Also, is a single 980ti powerful enough to handle 1440p with high refresh rates like 144hz/165hz?

I'm on the fence about buying a new monitor and would very much appreciate your input before I make the best gaming purchase....or the worst!

NEO0MJ

10 is fine

Get all your Mobo driver's as well: chipset, LAN, etc

I have the Strix z270E and man, there's so many of them. And in some sections it's kinda confusing whether the drivers are repeats or not.

Did I get the idea wrong about g-sync and how to achieve best performances with high refresh rate monitors?

Also, is a single 980ti powerful enough to handle 1440p with high refresh rates like 144hz/165hz?

I'm on the fence about buying a new monitor and would very much appreciate your input before I make the best gaming purchase....or the worst!

The way I understand it is that using Gsync allows you to ignore the problem of variable framerate For example if you're using a regular monitor and the FR fluctuates you'll get a lot of screen tearing and stuttering and so to get the smoothest experience will have to lock the FR to the lowest stable number. With gsync you don't have to do that and can unlock the framerate. Or at least that's how I understood it.

While the 980 ti is good, it won't run modern AAA games at 1440p with max setting in 144/165 hz. Some games like Watch Dogs 2 you won't even be able to run at 60 FPS. It might be possible if you sacrifice some of the fancier graphical effect, though.

Aranath

Posted this in the G-Sync thread but it's not hugely active so hopefully I can get some more help here.

So, I recently formatted and reinstalled Windows 10 on my PC and since then G sync doesn't seem to be working. I tried playing Dark Souls 3 today and I'm getting tearing all over the place and stuttering when it drops below 60. I never had problems like this before I reinstalled Windows.

I've checked in the Nvidia control panel and everything is enabled. I tried uninstalling my drivers with DDU and reinstalling but no dice.

Any ideas?

Tomte Arme

Neo Member
put the extra money on a motherboard that has good audio components instead asus supremefx is good have a xonar dx cant tell onboard asus z170 pro gaming apart from xonar dx
had a gigabyte gaming k3 before same realtek 1150 chip but the rest of the audio components was trash sound was horrible

froliq

I've been doing some overclocking after getting a new CPU cooler on my 3570k. However when I push it to 4.4Ghz, it'll close my games after a couple of minutes while it had no problems before that during the prime95 small FFTs test. It's not GPU related since it's all fine when I move the CPU multiplier back to 4.3Ghz and the temps, voltage and usage of the CPU in games goes nowhere near what it does during prime95. Anyone know the issue or ran into something similar?

knitoe

Posted this in the G-Sync thread but it's not hugely active so hopefully I can get some more help here.

So, I recently formatted and reinstalled Windows 10 on my PC and since then G sync doesn't seem to be working. I tried playing Dark Souls 3 today and I'm getting tearing all over the place and stuttering when it drops below 60. I never had problems like this before I reinstalled Windows.

I've checked in the Nvidia control panel and everything is enabled. I tried uninstalling my drivers with DDU and reinstalling but no dice.

Any ideas?

Is Gsync and Vsync enable / on in the Nvidia Control Panel?

I've been doing some overclocking after getting a new CPU cooler on my 3570k. However when I push it to 4.4Ghz, it'll close my games after a couple of minutes while it had no problems before that during the prime95 small FFTs test. It's not GPU related since it's all fine when I move the CPU multiplier back to 4.3Ghz and the temps, voltage and usage of the CPU in games goes nowhere near what it does during prime95. Anyone know the issue or ran into something similar?

You CPU may not be 100% stable. How long did you run Prime95 for? Have you try increasing VCore and see if it's anymore stable in your games?

Aranath

Is Gsync and Vsync enable / on in the Nvidia Control Panel?

Yep, both are enabled. Realised that my Global Settings had Vsync enabled but for whatever reason the games themselves were set to use the games' settings. Changed it back to Global Settings and now it's all working. No idea why or how that happened, but anywho. Thanks for help. :)

I have a question to Asus Strix 1080/1080 Ti owners:

I don't have an Aura ready motherboard, but care about the esthetics of the build. My impression is that I can not use the Aura software to change colours since my motherboard isn't compatible (I think so at least, I have an old Asus z68 pro motherboard), but can I do it in any other way? Will the LEDs even light up in my pc case? If so, in what colour? Thank you.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Hey guys I just bought pieces to put together a Ryzen system and wanted to sell off my old parts.

Anyway I have an i7 3770 with a Gigabyte Z77 mobo and 16GB corsair RAM. Never overclocked.

Just curious if $200 is a reasonable price to ask for all of these in the Buy/Sell/trade thread?

This post got lost in the previous page.

I feel that this mono/Cpu combo will provide a decent backbone for anyone looking into PC gaming

knitoe

I have a question to Asus Strix 1080/1080 Ti owners:

I don't have an Aura ready motherboard, but care about the esthetics of the build. My impression is that I can not use the Aura software to change colours since my motherboard isn't compatible (I think so at least, I have an old Asus z68 pro motherboard), but can I do it in any other way? Will the LEDs even light up in my pc case? If so, in what colour? Thank you.

You can still use the aura software to control the LEDs on the video card. It just can't sync with the LEDs on a MB, DDR ram, case and etc. Asus says a range "millions of colors" and 6 effects.

I have the Strix z270E and man, there's so many of them. And in some sections it's kinda confusing whether the drivers are repeats or not.

The way I understand it is that using Gsync allows you to ignore the problem of variable framerate For example if you're using a regular monitor and the FR fluctuates you'll get a lot of screen tearing and stuttering and so to get the smoothest experience will have to lock the FR to the lowest stable number. With gsync you don't have to do that and can unlock the framerate. Or at least that's how I understood it.

While the 980 ti is good, it won't run modern AAA games at 1440p with max setting in 144/165 hz. Some games like Watch Dogs 2 you won't even be able to run at 60 FPS. It might be possible if you sacrifice some of the fancier graphical effect, though.

So you're saying that it might not be entirely worth it to get a high refresh rate monitor with my current setup?

Hagi

So I'm thinking about finally leaving AMD behind and upgrading my 280X for a 1070. Probably a stupid question but do I need a new mobo or anything? Mine is about 5 years old at this point. I'm planning a full revamp of my system eventually but I was hoping I could just pop the 1070 in right away then piece everything else together after I finish saving for our wedding.

RS4-

So I'm thinking about finally leaving AMD behind and upgrading my 280X for a 1070. Probably a stupid question but do I need a new mobo or anything? Mine is about 5 years old at this point. I'm planning a full revamp of my system eventually but I was hoping I could just pop the 1070 in right away then piece everything else together after I finish saving for our wedding.

No, it's fine. Just make sure you uninstall the AMD drivers before popping in the 1070.

NEO0MJ

So you're saying that it might not be entirely worth it to get a high refresh rate monitor with my current setup?

Depending on what games you play. Might be better to wait until you get a new GPU before buying a Gsync/high frequency monitor. What's your current monitor?

NEO0MJ

Asus PB278q

Personal opinion is that you're probably better off sticking with it until you get a new GPU and CPU. Both of your current ones will probably be high framerate bottlenecks in the future so save the money and see what options you'll have in the future.

AtlantiC_CodeX

Neo Member
PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NT3zwV
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NT3zwV/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i3-6320 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($213.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.98 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Corsair - Neutron XTi 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($179.00 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: BitFenix - Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.52 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA - 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.90 @ shopRBC)
Total: $842.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-10 18:15 EDT-0400

How that looks? Can I find a motherboard with wifi built in around the same price?
I would go with the pentium G4560 but I cant find it anywhere.

This is my first build so I want to make sure everything is compatible. Also, how good are the gpu/cpu i picked?

I'm I missing anything?

Edit: I think I'll take the Pentium G4600 instead, What's the difference between the G4620?

PCPartPicker part list: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NT3zwV
Price breakdown by merchant: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/NT3zwV/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i3-6320 3.9GHz Dual-Core Processor ($213.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($69.98 @ DirectCanada)
Memory: Crucial - Ballistix Sport LT 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: Corsair - Neutron XTi 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($219.95 @ Amazon Canada)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB ACX 2.0 Video Card ($179.00 @ Amazon Canada)
Case: BitFenix - Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.52 @ DirectCanada)
Power Supply: EVGA - 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.90 @ shopRBC)
Total: $842.33
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-10 18:15 EDT-0400

How that looks? Can I find a motherboard with wifi built in around the same price?
I would go with the pentium G4560 but I cant find it anywhere.

This is my first build so I want to make sure everything is compatible. Also, how good are the gpu/cpu i picked?

I'm I missing anything?

So having looked it up, it would appear that yeah, there's stock issue with the G4560. That said, if you're trying to pay that much for an alternative, get the i3-7100 and a kabylake motherboard. Pay less, and at least you get 4K streaming out of the deal.
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117734&cm_re=i3_7100-_-19-117-734-_-Product

Though unfortunately the price will not be justified in performance gains either way.

Edit:
Nevermind, I totally forgot the G4600 is a thing. Honestly you'll be bound by GPU more than anything here, so just go with that. But again, you'll need to switch to a kabylake board

laxu

Tech Enthusiasts!

I currently game at 1440p/60hz with a strix 980 ti and i5 3570k @4.2ghz.

I have been to a friend's house recently who is playing on a rog swift pg279q 1440p/165hz with GSync and it was quite the eye opener.

Let's say I want to jump in the high refresh rate gaming monitors. From what I understand, G-Sync helps you when you can't quite achieve the fps amount of your refresh rate to remove tearing/lag. I assume it's better to have a rig powerful enough to achieve that high fps that matches your monitor's rate or as close as it can VS doing just 60FPS and hoping that G-SYNC will make everything silky smooth.

I have had a very similar rig to yours and own an ASUS PG278Q (1440p/144 Hz/G-Sync). G-Sync is most helpful when you are running at below 60 fps because it manages to make it feel smoother, make dips in framerate less noticeable.

For games that run constantly 60+ fps I prefer using the ULMB mode which gives you better motion clarity. This cannot be used at the same time with G-Sync and only works at 120 Hz but it strobes the backlight at 120 Hz which removes the sample-and-hold effect of monitors and gives you motion similar to a CRT.

At the moment 980 Ti is fine for use with a high refresh rate display but don't expect to come anywhere near close to 100+ frames without dropping details. I am very happy with its performance at 1440p though.

laxu

Any ideas?

If you have the Windows Creators Update, I've read it can break G-Sync. Other than that only thing I can suggest is making sure G-Sync is set for the game in Nvidia Control Panel and toggling G-Sync on and off again. Make sure DS3 is running in fullscreen mode instead of borderless or something.

AtlantiC_CodeX

Neo Member
So having looked it up, it would appear that yeah, there's stock issue with the G4560. That said, if you're trying to pay that much for an alternative, get the i3-7100 and a kabylake motherboard. Pay less, and at least you get 4K streaming out of the deal.
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117734&cm_re=i3_7100-_-19-117-734-_-Product

Though unfortunately the price will not be justified in performance gains either way.

Edit:
Nevermind, I totally forgot the G4600 is a thing. Honestly you'll be bound by GPU more than anything here, so just go with that. But again, you'll need to switch to a kabylake board

I'm only getting the Core i3-6320 since i found it used for 120 CAD which makes it better than a G4600?

Can you recommend a motherboard instead of the one I have selected? preferably one around the same price with wifi if there is.
Also I'm not sure if the case I have selected comes with a fan and if it fits what i have selected so an alternative also would be appreciated.

I'm only getting the Core i3-6320 since i found it used for 120 CAD which makes it better than a G4600?

Can you recommend a motherboard instead of the one I have selected? preferably one around the same price with wifi if there is.
Also I'm not sure if the case I have selected comes with a fan and if it fits what i have selected so an alternative also would be appreciated.

Probably better, but likely only marginally so, since again, you'll primarily be bound by your GPU. Better to get the more power efficient chip that also comes with a full warranty.

Board wise I don't believe there's anything cheap with onboard wi-fi yet for kabylake, but honestly? A PCI-E wi-fi card can be bought cheap and serve just fine. Pick up a Gigabyte B250 mATX board and you're set.

Having checked on the case, it comes with a fan at the back, and while there's room for two 120mm fans behind the front panel, they are not shipped as part of the package.

Top Bottom