• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

SOLDIER

Still having the problem where I get a brief second of frozen screen during Overwatch (and I suspect other PC games too). I've tried CCleaner, updating Windows and Nvidia, still got this problem.

The reason I think it's GPU related is because it happens every time the screen gets "chaotic" (i.e. lots of shooting or physics).

As for recent software, the only thing I installed was Logitech's Gaming Software, so I can use my customized shortcuts for both my mouse and keyboard.

Jezbollah

Hi Gaf, first time poster here.

Does anyone have experience with GPUs with AIO liquid cooling?
Pump noise, quality and temperatures or if it's even worth it?

I have used an AIO cooler for a few years now. The noise is minor if you have a case that has good noise insulation and air flow. I don't overclock yet prefer AIO coolers to fans.

That's a misconception. They cool better, but they're also more noisy.

Huh? Just not true. My 1070 sc (pre icx) was noiser and hotter before I put the hybrid cooler on. Maybe you are talking about pump noise? Compared to an air cooler sure there's noise but I have to put my ear up to my case to hear it.

NEO0MJ

Felt I needed to post this here as well.

So I borrowed a friend's portable hard disk to copy my steam files but when I scanned it the thing seems to have been full of Trojan and malware programs. My laptop auto opens portable storage so is there a chance my laptop is infected as well? Did a full system scan but it's not complete and I'm at work now so I don't know the results yet.
Is formatting it the best option? He said it's ok to do that.

Huh? Just not true. My 1070 sc (pre icx) was noiser and hotter before I put the hybrid cooler on. Maybe you are talking about pump noise? Compared to an air cooler sure there's noise but I have to put my ear up to my case to hear it.

I thought I read somewhere that water coolers caused more noise than traditional heat sinks? Maybe it was dependent on method?

Tommy DJ

I thought I read somewhere that water coolers caused more noise than traditional heat sinks? Maybe it was dependent on method?

Air is only quieter when there's sufficient heatsink mass to keep the fans down low. EVGA's ACX has now been one of the smaller heatsink designs as EVGA has strictly designed it to fit within a strict two slot design. Unlike a monster huge design like Palit's Jetstream, the ACX fans typically ramp up during load.

This also carries over to CPU cooling. In a lot of cases, a Noctua D15 will be quieter than most (all?) AIOs as the cooling load of most consumer CPUs are honestly pretty mild.

Alot of air cooled cards nowadays will turn their fans off at idle so there will be relatively more noise in the water cooled setup. But with water-cooled you do not need to turn the fans up very high which will lead to less noise when under load compared to air cooled cards.

NEO0MJ

Air is only quieter when there's sufficient heatsink mass to keep the fans down low. EVGA's ACX has now been one of the smaller heatsink designs as EVGA has strictly designed it to fit within a strict two slot design. Unlike a monster huge design like Palit's Jetstream, the ACX fans typically ramp up during load.

This also carries over to CPU cooling. In a lot of cases, a Noctua D15 will be quieter than most (all?) AIOs as the cooling load of most consumer CPUs are honestly pretty mild.

Alot of air cooled cards nowadays will turn their fans off at idle so there will be relatively more noise in the water cooled setup. But with water-cooled you do not need to turn the fans up very high which will lead to less noise when under load compared to air cooled cards.

I think I have a better understanding of the subject now. Thanks.

Bendoruu

Neo Member
Timeframes you might be interested in

August 2017: New mainstream Intel 6-core CPUs

February 2018: Nvidia Volta

If you are refering to Coffee Lake, it has been officially delayed to 2018.

I wanted to upgrade after the Coffee Lake launch this year and now I don't know what to do now.

Bendoruu

Neo Member

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yo build-a-pc Gaf, I suck at computers and I'm looking for some recommendations for upgrades. Tired of not being able to run dishonored 2, PUBG or Doom at all. Yes I know they have performance issues but the setup I have now literally cant even run them properly at lower than 1080p. If it could also do VR (vive specifically) that would be great... but I'm expecting that would be a rather pricey upgrade.

Your Current Specs: Processor: AMD A6-3670 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics, 2700 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Ram: 8.00
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-A55M-DS2
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 200 series
PSU: Dont have the time to check right now but I know its 500 watt
Case: Not sure, should be irrelevant anyways
HDD: a 100 Gb SD for windows and a 2TB drive for everything else

Budget: 400, Canada. Willing to go up to mayyyyybe 600.
Main Use: Mostly games with occasional adobe program usage. Not anything like heavy rendering from After Effects though. I mostly just want it to be able to run most modern games.(see above)

Monitor Resolution: What resolution will you be playing your games at: Just 1080p is fine. I really just want to run these games at a consistent frame rate at this point without having to drop the ingame resolution to 1600x900 or whatever.

List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well:See Above.

Looking to reuse any parts?: i don't think so.
When will you build?: It's either going to be in the next 3 days or a few weeks from now. Go a trip coming up, and want to bring my PC with me. If not I can just wait till I get back for the upgrade.

Will you be overclocking?: Yes I guess

Extra note: Due to various reasons its extremely difficult for me to order things online, so I'll probably be getting anything that is recommended from a Canada computers here in Toronto.

I'm not looking for a total remake, just a new piece or two will do. Maybe just a new graphics card? I heard about that new cheap AMD one?

Thank you for your time and apologies if I screwed anything up :)

mmmm i wouldn't shoot for vr with your build just yet with only 400$ish to spare for upgrades... :p

switching your mobo and cpu and adding a decent low end gfx card should get you significantly better performance but idk if your ram will be compatible, you may need to buy a new set of that as well but double check to see the exact specs of your current ram first, check what psu you have as well as it might be worth getting a new one for 50$ish depending on how long you've had your last one/how good quality it was to start. if you can find a cheap rx 580 or 570 those would also be great video cards for your budget but pretty unlikely as they're marked up like crazy due to mining
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor ($79.99 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: MSI - B250M PRO-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($89.30 @ shopRBC)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws 4 series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($94.99 @ Memory Express)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB SC GAMING ACX 2.0 Video Card ($189.99 @ Amazon Canada)
Total: $454.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-13 10:49 EDT-0400

Noob Q: is now a good time to build a very capable gaming PC, or are new cards about to land in the coming months?

if you're in no rush this fall will be the best time for this year, right now it looks like AMD's vega graphics cards are hitting later this summer, which should help bring down prices overall as right now everything is a bit marked up due to the mining craze

wamberz1

After checking PC parts picker, it seems like upgrading my CPU and motherboard might be a good idea. They both seem to be freaks of nature - it can't even find my motherboard.

I'm thinking about a Ryzen for my CPU... seems relatively cheap and it should work well with my current GPU... but for motherboard I have no idea.

Right now thinking of getting:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core, 12 Threads Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler
Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T2

And that should do me good unless my case turns out to be too small and I need to buy a new one.

Comes out to about.... 530 with Canadian taxes.... I'll be eating out of trash cans for a bit but I think I'll make it.

Edit:
mmmm i wouldn't shoot for vr with your build just yet with only 400$ish to spare for upgrades... :p

switching your mobo and cpu and adding a decent low end gfx card should get you significantly better performance but idk if your ram will be compatible, you may need to buy a new set of that as well but double check to see the exact specs of your current ram first, check what psu you have as well as it might be worth getting a new one for 50$ish depending on how long you've had your last one/how good quality it was to start. if you can find a cheap rx 580 or 570 those would also be great video cards for your budget but pretty unlikely as they're marked up like crazy due to mining.
Cool, looks like I was right about the CPU and motherboard upgrades. I'll try and go with what you recommended.

I only bought my ram and CPU a year ago but I'll crack open my case and check what models they are when I get home.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
After checking PC parts picker, it seems like upgrading my CPU and motherboard might be a good idea. They both seem to be freaks of nature - it can't even find my motherboard.

I'm thinking about a Ryzen for my CPU... seems relatively cheap and it should work well with my current GPU... but for motherboard I have no idea.

Right now thinking of getting:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 Six-Core, 12 Threads Processor with Wraith Spire Cooler

Motherboard: MSI - B350 PC MATE ATX AM4 Motherboard

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T2

And that should do me good unless my case turns out to be too small and I need to buy a new one.

Comes out to about.... 530 with Canadian taxes.... I'll be eating out of trash cans for a bit but I think I'll make it.

you don't need an additional cpu cooler for the 1600, the included cooler is more than sufficient. Remember that newer motherboards may not be compatable with older ram - you really need to figure out exactly which kind you have as that's gonna be another 70ish dollars if you need to upgrade that too. You can check my build above for you as well and see what you think!

wamberz1

you don't need an additional cpu cooler for the 1600, the included cooler is more than sufficient. Remember that newer motherboards may not be compatable with older ram - you really need to figure out exactly which kind you have as that's gonna be another 70ish dollars if you need to upgrade that too. You can check my build above for you as well and see what you think!
Yeah sorry, right as I made my post I saw yours.

Added the cooler cause PC parts picker was yelling at me lol. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm actually pretty sure the RAM I have is the one you recommend but not positive. I'll double check tonight when I get home.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Added the cooler cause PC parts picker was yelling at me lol. Thanks for clarifying.

I'm actually pretty sure the RAM I have is the one you recommend but not positive. I'll double check tonight when I get home.

sounds good, if you can be sure to double check on that psu as well! and if you don't need new ram you could easily bump up to a gtx1060 or rx570 and be on budget.

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Hello fellow Gaffers, I'm finally building a new PC after my first one I built 6.5 years ago (!) that has 460 in it. Mainly going to be used for gaming at 1080p, and Emulation of older stuff. I know the 1070 is a bit overkill but I'd like to keep it for a good while. Looking to get some feedback and see if everything looks compatible.

Here' s the list:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cGcHTH

CPU: Intel - Core i5-7500 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($188.21 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270F ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($173.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: SanDisk - SSD PLUS 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.39 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.44 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($419.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair - 450D ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($74.88 @ OutletPC)
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Total: $1424.72

I have a few questions:

1. I am debating between the 7500 or the 7600K. Is it true I don't need a CPU cooler with the 7500? Is the performance worth the extra cost for the 7600K and a cooler? I also wouldn't mind getting a new CPU in a few years.

2. Is there anywhere else I get cut down costs?

Any other feedback would be appreciated.

SOLDIER

Newegg has a 24 hour sale going on: http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemai...2&et_p1=&email64=dGhvcmJhaG4zQHlhaG9vLmNvbQ==

Anything from that I should consider for upgrading my PC?

My specs, once again:

oeiwjS9.jpg

I feel my PC has been slower lately, not just with the half-second freezes in Overwatch. Firefox seems to be chugging a bit as well.

rtcn63

Newegg has a 24 hour sale going on: http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemai...2&et_p1=&email64=dGhvcmJhaG4zQHlhaG9vLmNvbQ==

Anything from that I should consider for upgrading my PC?

My specs, once again:

oeiwjS9.jpg

I feel my PC has been slower lately, not just with the half-second freezes in Overwatch. Firefox seems to be chugging a bit as well.

Creator's update troubles possibly?

At 1080p/60pfs, your current setup is good. An extra stick of 8GB ram wouldn't hurt, but not entirely necessary and ram is expensive now....

kmfdmpig

Dumb motherboard question:

I have an MSI Gaming Carbon Pro

I'm getting an M.2 drive and was wondering if it could be installed in the m2.2 slot or if it needed to be in the m.2.1 slot (the manual seems to imply the latter) as it'll be the first m.2 drive on the system.

I'm looking to build a PC that can do 1440p/60fps with ultra settings for most games. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I am hoping to game on a KS8000 tv.

How does this build look?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jT9CWX

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($327.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($151.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($159.62 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Dell Small Business)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($429.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($36.88 @ OutletPC)
Other: Windows 10 Home OEM ($30.00)
Total: $1396.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-13 12:03 EDT-0400

kmfdmpig

I'm looking to build a PC that can do 1440p/60fps with ultra settings for most games. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but I am hoping to game on a KS8000 tv.

How does this build look?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jT9CWX

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($327.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Asus - Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($151.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair - Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($159.62 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Dell Small Business)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($429.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($64.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: EVGA - 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($36.88 @ OutletPC)
Other: Windows 10 Home OEM ($30.00)
Total: $1396.22
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-13 12:03 EDT-0400

The cooler might be a bit weaker than ideal for a 7700k, although people on the net are mixed about that.
You could save money on similarly specced RAM unless there is something you particularly like about that model.

Also, you probably already know, but yesterday Steam/Samsung announced that the KS800 would gain game streaming capabilities, so potentially you wouldn't need to have the TV in the same room even.

The cooler might be a bit weaker than ideal for a 7700k, although people on the net are mixed about that.
You could save money on similarly specced RAM unless there is something you particularly like about that model.

Also, you probably already know, but yesterday Steam/Samsung announced that the KS800 would gain game streaming capabilities, so potentially you wouldn't need to have the TV in the same room even.

I really like the look of the RAM to be honest haha, but I am open to changing it.

Can you recommend a better cooler for the 7700k?

And the news about Samsung streaming is what is making me want to take the plunge with building a PC. I'm not sure how lags and whatnot will be affected though.

kmfdmpig

I really like the look of the RAM to be honest haha, but I am open to changing it.

And the news about Samsung streaming is what is making me want to take the plunge with building a PC. I'm not sure how lags and whatnot will be affected though.

The people on GAF who tried it said it seems to work well, although I'm sure it depends on your network setup, etc... If I use it I'll make sure I go through Ethernet, not Wi-fi.

The coolers in the OP are the most commonly recommended. Phanteks also has some decent coolers that are not too expensive.

One other thing to consider is that if you wait for a sale on a 1080 you could probably get one for ~400-450. It'd make 1440k that much more future proof (assuming it would fit in the case, which I'm not sure).

EL CUCO

I'm using the Cryorig H7 on a stock 7700k and its been about 50-70c depending on the game. Im also in Miami and its HOT so temps might be better for you.

SOLDIER

CPU, Mobo, and RAM would be the obvious point there. What's your budget for buying anything out of this sale?

Depends on the prices. Once I get some estimates, I can decide whether I want to go for a partial upgrade (a non-ti GPU for increased framerate on 1080p content, RAM or CPU to help with the chugging I seem to be getting with programs/Firefox) or a full 4K-ready upgrade (1080 ti and whatever else I need).

Kindly list some components and I'll see what's worth spending on.

I'm using the Cryorig H7 on a stock 7700k and its been about 50-70c depending on the game. Im also in Miami and its HOT so temps might be better for you.

The people on GAF who tried it said it seems to work well, although I'm sure it depends on your network setup, etc... If I use it I'll make sure I go through Ethernet, not Wi-fi.

The coolers in the OP are the most commonly recommended. Phanteks also has some decent coolers that are not too expensive.

One other thing to consider is that if you wait for a sale on a 1080 you could probably get one for ~400-450. It'd make 1440k that much more future proof (assuming it would fit in the case, which I'm not sure).

Thanks for the inputs. I'm switching out my cooler for the H7.

Also is there any information on graphic cards that start with PNY http://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/pny-...-gf-gtx-1070-8-gb/apd/a8993624/parts-upgrades

I am able to get a decent discount through dell.com but the graphic cards are branded PNY.

kennah

Current computer has ddr3. New computers need ddr4. It won't be compatible.

Li Kao

I'm in the brainstorming phase of an entirely new PC but I'm also a very big noob, so I will surely have several questions over time.
For information these days I'm rocking that old champion :

CPU - Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2500K CPU @ 3.30GHz
Memory - 2x4 DDR3 G-Skill (800Mhz ?)
Mainboard - P8P67 LE
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Monitor - PLB2712HDS (Idek Iiyama) 27.2 inches

And I'm basically planning to change everything as the processor is getting old and so that means changing MB and Memory.

409,9 Intel i7-7700K [4.2GHz, 4C/8T]
299,99 ASUS Maximus IX Hero [ATX]
225,9 2x8GB [16GB] DDR4 3600Mhz
619,9 GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
149,9 Samsung 960 250GB NVMe
139,9 SuperNOVA 850 GQ Modulaire - 850W
85,9 Fractal Design Define S (5 HD)
66,95 Noctua NH-U12S
39,9 Xonar DGX

Total - 2038,24 euros

or

409,9 Intel i7-7700K [4.2GHz, 4C/8T]
299,99 ASUS Maximus IX Hero [ATX]
458,9 2x16GB [32GB] DDR4 3200MHz
879,9 GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB
279,9 Samsung 960 500GB NVMe (+$120)
139,9 SuperNOVA 850 GQ Modulaire - 850W (8 HD)
149,9 Fractal Design Define XL R2 - Black Pearl (8 HD)
66,95 Noctua NH-U12S
99,9 Creative SoundBlaster Z

Total - 2785,24 euros

You can see that I didn't include any optical drive or HD as I have already some lying around.
You can also see that the whole enchilada is pricey as fuck in europe, and I should add that I picked some parts without knowing a lot about them.

So what do you think ? Horrible setup gone wrong ? Something to add ? Something to change for a gentler pricetag (let's hope) ?

PS. Question, 8gb or 16gb of memory ? What will it impact ?
PS2. Yeah the monitor should be changed but fuck the price is already out of reach.

SOLDIER

Creator's update troubles possibly?

At 1080p/60pfs, your current setup is good. An extra stick of 8GB ram wouldn't hurt, but not entirely necessary and ram is expensive now....

So when did this creator's update go up? And if that is the problem, how do I disable/reroll it?

wamberz1

sounds good, if you can be sure to double check on that psu as well! and if you don't need new ram you could easily bump up to a gtx1060 or rx570 and be on budget.
Alright, just got a chance to check and unfortunately I was wayyyyyy off. 2 Fury HyperX 4gb sticks, DDR3. I guess that means I'll have to go with upgrading to ddr4 like you and kennah said.

PSU is a Corsair CX500M. Had it for about 2 years.

Weevilone

So when did this creator's update go up? And if that is the problem, how do I disable/reroll it?

It's the last month or so I think.

Check to make sure that you aren't running in a power saving mode first.

If Win10, settings -> power and sleep -> additional power settings.

Creaters removed me from performance mode. Honestly it sucks. I still have a stutter that's even affecting as I type this. I haven't figured it out, this is a 7700K, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti setup.

Check Play Asia for cheap prices.

Thanks just checked and it's 20. That's a great price. How would I install it?

Play Asia is good. If you're working at a large organization they probably have the Home Use Program, which would make it cheap. Many colleges will allow students/staff, etc... to buy a license at a very low price as well.

Thanks a lot for this! It looks like I can get the entire office suite for $10 this could only be sweeter if it came with Windows 10 but I'm glad I can have excel, word, and powerpoint now

NEO0MJ

Seriously? The place I bought my PC from was insistent it was good enough. I knew it was good at the time but I forgot to check which CPU it was paired with.

Weevilone

Thanks just checked and it's 20. That's a great price. How would I install it?

I don't know if you have an existing PC, but you'll just be buying a key. You need to download the ISO and make a USB installer or optical disk.

Otherwise, you can pay more to buy the legit USB installer from Amazon.

kmfdmpig

Seriously? The place I bought my PC from was insistent it was good enough. I knew it was good at the time but I forgot to check which CPU it was paired with.

The Hyper 212 was a legend, but it's been surpassed by other coolers (such as those in the OP). The 7700k runs very hot in general, although it depends a bit on the specifics such as case, airflow, whether it will be overclocked, silicon lottery, etc....

SOLDIER

It's the last month or so I think.

Check to make sure that you aren't running in a power saving mode first.

If Win10, settings -> power and sleep -> additional power settings.

Creaters removed me from performance mode. Honestly it sucks. I still have a stutter that's even affecting as I type this. I haven't figured it out, this is a 7700K, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti setup.

I'm at Balanced.

Should I change to High Performance? I'm giving that a try now.

So I've been tempted to upgrade my cpu recently to a ryzen 5 1600 or a ryzen 7 1700 ( i would like the 6/12 or 8/16 for streaming and gaming plus destiny 2 . I would need a new mobo/ram/cpu and would possibly upgrade my psu to go FULL modular.

Below is my current. I do not overclock my i7 due to the intel board I am using now (the old mobo fried and I bought this refurbished on ebay so I didn't have to rebuild quite yet) and ran into games closing when i did try and OC on the board.

I've also considered getting a GTX 1080 (especially with the D2 promo currently)

Would either of these upgrades make sense with what I have? What would make the larger impact? Would the 1080 be bottlenecked at all with my cpu at stock?

PCPartPicker part list
CPU: Intel - Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Intel - DZ77SL50K ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: ADATA - XPG SX900 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Kingston - A400 480GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Samsung - Spinpoint F4 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon R9 Fury 4GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master - MasterBox 5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Cooler Master - Silent Pro M 1000W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-13 18:01 EDT-0400

NEO0MJ

The Hyper 212 was a legend, but it's been surpassed by other coolers (such as those in the OP). The 7700k runs very hot in general, although it depends a bit on the specifics such as case, airflow, whether it will be overclocked, silicon lottery, etc....

Might as well mention what I went with for more info.

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Kingston - SSDNow UV400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB ROG STRIX
Case: Corsair - Cabride 100R ATX
Power Supply: Corsair - RMx 650W
Case Fan: Corsair - Air Series SP120 Quiet Edition X2

I guess I should get a fan or two for the top of the case just to be safe?

HowZatOZ

Banned
This Ryzen 1700 Wraith cooler is actually pretty fucking boss. Sticking to 40c temps on PUBG matches is beating all my expectations, especially for air cooling.

Grabbed a B350 Mate mobo and 16GB 3000 DDR4, everything is running like a dream. Absolutely crazy performance and pushing Witcher to the limits makes this game that much more beautiful. So happy with my purchase.

Now, my only negative: no built in VGA support. I've got three monitors but can only use two with my 1070, one HDMI and the other routed through DVI adapter for HDMI. Should I just get a DVI adapter or look at getting a whole new monitor to replace one. I technically will need a new one when I build a hackintosh for the girlfriend out of my old parts but in the meantime should I just buy this $30 adapter?

Top Bottom