• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Im on air now and I want better but im not planning to go for water.
Im planning to go full passive big ass case that will be available sometime this or next year.

Yeah the Calyos or whatever? I don't know. Fucking 40lbs of metal? Lol. Not the sexiest thing either. Definitely cool as a piece of technology though.

Hopfrog

Was contemplating picking up a 1070 to upgrade my 770 and get some more mileage out of my 3570k until the fall and then maybe go with Coffee Lake or Ryzen, but that has gone to shit because of the miners. 1070 prices are crazy right now - you can pick up a 1080 for right around the same price as some of the 1070 cards at Microcenter right now. Not going to pay those crazy prices, so I will wait until they come down some. The wait sucks though - I do love a new build.

sikkinixx

Which PSUs? I assume you checked everywhere? I can relate because I had my new build almost done a couple of times then had to order some part and wait. The worst was ordering on a Friday and it not being eligible for Amazon Prime so not delivered until Monday. The worst.

It's an EVGA G2 that has really solid reviews everywhere for a $120 (cdn) gold+ 650W unit. I looked at some Corsair ones etc but they all cost a fair amount more and frankly I'm already annoyed I'm having to spend more money on this money-pit of a PC (first the fans I had died so I needed new ones, then the HDD starts clicking so I needed a new one, now the power supply is too old and doesn't have the connections for my new RX580, which was already $100 more than I had wanted to spend on a GPU and the Ryzen 1600 was an extra $50 on top of the 1500x but more future proof then the rebate for my motherboard is borked because I waited a day too long to start the process. Just a mess all around haha)

Everywhere locally is sold out of anything decent in that range so online it is but shipping times etc no one-day prime so I just gotta wait it out. Lame.

Wag

http://www.ebay.com/itm/382034122947

Newegg is selling the ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on ebay for $639. Yes, I know it's a non-reference blower style fan, but it's cheap. You won't get a copy of Destiny 2 with it either, but there will be cheap enough keys from the Nvidia promo on eBay soon enough.

My case runs pretty hot so I wanted a blower style fan anyways. Would rather had reference but at this price it's hard to complain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291981538610

They're also selling the 960 Evo M.2 500GB for $200.

Renekton

What's the difference between a gaming keyboard and a mechanical one?

Also would the Logitech MX master be good for gaming?
Non-mechanical gaming keyboards and generic keyboards tend to use rubberdome switches which can feel mushy.

Mechanical keyboards normally feel very crisp to type on.

Tcab96

What kind of performance are you looking to get? Have specific games in mind?

I assume you mean frame rate and the settings the games can be played at?

Something that can play Witcher 3 or the upcoming Battlefront 2 somewhere between 30-60FPS. Not necessarily at ultra settings but what looks good.

I was also considering just buying a prebuilt one off of Cyberpowerpc, so if anyone has any experience with computers from there, I'd appreciate some input. I havent found anytjing specifically yet though.

SOLDIER

http://www.ebay.com/itm/382034122947

Newegg is selling the ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on ebay for $639. Yes, I know it's a non-reference blower style fan, but it's cheap. You won't get a copy of Destiny 2 with it either, but there will be cheap enough keys from the Nvidia promo on eBay soon enough.

My case runs pretty hot so I wanted a blower style fan anyways. Would rather had reference but at this price it's hard to complain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291981538610

They're also selling the 960 Evo M.2 500GB for $200.

Pretty tempting, but is that all I would need for stable 4K with my current specs?

I'm wondering what I could realistically run at 4K plus 60 fps with that. A few people mentioned waiting it out, as certain events/announcements may result in cheaper PC components.

Also, if someone could look at my taskbar links and let me know if anything's screwy, I'd appreciate that.

kmfdmpig

I assume you mean frame rate and the settings the games can be played at?

Something that can play Witcher 3 or the upcoming Battlefront 2 somewhere between 30-60FPS. Not necessarily at ultra settings but what looks good.

I was also considering just buying a prebuilt one off of Cyberpowerpc, so if anyone has any experience with computers from there, I'd appreciate some input. I havent found anytjing specifically yet though.

I wouldn't buy a prebuilt from iBuypower or CyberpowerPC, tbh. They will typically use decent parts for GPU and (obviously) CPU, but will cheap out on power supply, cooling, and RAM. They also tend to favor tacky/terrible cases.

If you customize the order you can end up with a decent system, but will spend a fair amount on it. I did that with iBuypower (which most think is part of the same company) ~8 years ago and the system is still running well. A friend customized a CyberPowerPC and has been happy with it. I thought about doing it again this time, but it was always a bit more than I wanted to spend, so instead I bought my parts and found someone locally that would make the build. If you go through and call local PC repair places you should be able to find someone that will make a build for 100 or less.

I got very lucky and found someone that charged only $40 (I ended up leaving a tip as I was so impressed) to build the system and show me how it was done. Thanks to that experience I now feel much more confident and comfortable and may just make my own next time.

I think by going this route I ended up with better parts and saved about $150 (8% of the total cost) compared with going the CyberPowerPC route.

Here's task manager:

svQ3XrT.jpg

If something's off from those readings, feel free to let me know.

And here's just the top part of my control panel:

5rMYrbM.jpg

As you can see, it's showing off games I've installed more than a few years ago, and it seems to do this every day.

Well, based on the other pictures you posted, it doesn't seem like you've got any issues in overutilisation. Firefox is eating up RAM, sure, but simply turning that off while you play should resolve any particular issue from that.

As to the install dates issue, it's apparently something that can get screwed up by Windows updates - so the PC detects games for the 'first time' after an update, and pegs that as when they're installed in the registry. Certainly no indication they're being installed in the background and taking up resources.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the differences in DDR4 sticks. For example, I understand that in general 3200 MHz is better than 3000 MHz, assuming all other factors are identical... but what about voltage? Timings? etc? Is there a good guide that's up to date for DDR4 which explains the difference in memory sticks in detail that someone could point me towards?

Clearos

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VxYmZ8

The CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler may require a separately available mounting adapter to fit the MSI - B350 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard.

Anyone have experince with the Cryorig and know if I need additional mounting? Is there a comparable cooler that would not require one?

Scan have the EVGA GTX 1070 with an iCX cooler on sale for under £400 (plus postage, so £406 total) right now. That thing usually goes for £450 on other sites.

Noticed the exact same thing, Amazon too. I've read these cards get extremely hot, though? Especially the back plate. Is this ICX variant a fix on this issue at all? Or is it just the same old tech.

*EDIT* Yeah, it appears they went from ACX to ICX. Wonder if this solves the issues. Will check it out, thanks!

Weevilone

Übermatik;240847681 said:
Noticed the exact same thing, Amazon too. I've read these cards get extremely hot, though? Especially the back plate. Is this ICX variant a fix on this issue at all? Or is it just the same old tech.

It is a fix to a problem that didn't really exist to begin with.

kmfdmpig

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the differences in DDR4 sticks. For example, I understand that in general 3200 MHz is better than 3000 MHz, assuming all other factors are identical... but what about voltage? Timings? etc? Is there a good guide that's up to date for DDR4 which explains the difference in memory sticks in detail that someone could point me towards?

Basically you want to balance cost (the real world performance gain from faster RAM tends to be very small compared to putting more money in a CPU or GPU), MHz and timing (with timing lower numbers are better), and if it matters to you aesthetics.

Here is a site that should help.
http://blog.logicalincrements.com/2016/03/ultimate-guide-computer-ram/
A few others:
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-ddr4-ram/
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-performance-speed-latency

Übermatik;240847681 said:

*EDIT* Yeah, it appears they went from ACX to ICX. Wonder if this solves the issues. Will check it out, thanks!

The iCX model is basically built with temperature control in mind. Like, there's sensors inside the card to tell you the temperature of individual parts - plus it's got little towers to try and increase the rate of radiation out from the card. So I believe it did come out cooler than the ACX cards.

It is a fix to a problem that didn't really exist to begin with.

Despite the complaints?

The iCX model is basically built with temperature control in mind. Like, there's sensors inside the card to tell you the temperature of individual parts - plus it's got little towers to try and increase the rate of radiation out from the card. So I believe it did come out cooler than the ACX cards.

Good to know, thank-you.
My decision really rests between the EVGA card and the MSI Armour Card: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi...hics-card-1920-core-1556mhz-gpu-1746mhz-boost
Unless I'm missing another option...

dr_mario

Hi guys. Tomorrow might finally be the day for my pc. But delivery has some problems lately, so no idea.

Some time ago, there was a link to a website that helps you create something like a batch installer - you could check the software you want to install all at once, without googling etc. Does anyone happen to know which one I mean?

Basically you want to balance cost (the real world performance gain from faster RAM tends to be very small compared to putting more money in a CPU or GPU), MHz and timing (with timing lower numbers are better), and if it matters to you aesthetics.

Here is a site that should help.
http://blog.logicalincrements.com/2016/03/ultimate-guide-computer-ram/
A few others:
http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-ddr4-ram/
http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/memory-performance-speed-latency

Thanks. I'm definitely budget-conscious right now, so trying to get a Ryzen 1700 + non-barebones mobo + 16 GB of RAM + mATX case could easily run me $600+ if I'm not careful. Trying to decide if spending $30 more on better RAM is worth it at this point.

Hi guys. Tomorrow might finally be the day for my pc. But delivery has some problems lately, so no idea.

Some time ago, there was a link to a website that helps you create something like a batch installer - you could check the software you want to install all at once, without googling etc. Does anyone happen to know which one I mean?

Ninite.

kmfdmpig

Thanks. I'm definitely budget-conscious right now, so trying to get a Ryzen 1600 + non-barebones mobo + 16 GB of RAM + mATX case could easily run me $600+ if I'm not careful. Trying to decide if spending $30 more on better RAM is worth it at this point.

No problem. I'd say that unless the RAM would be the real weak link in the system then the $30 would be better spent on a better mobo/case or pocketed for a better GPU or SSD down the road.

No problem. I'd say that unless the RAM would be the real weak link in the system then the $30 would be better spent on a better mobo/case or pocketed for a better GPU or SSD down the road.

It seems 3200 MHz vs 3000 MHz DDR4 for Ryzen 1700 isn't really a noticeable/major difference. With only maybe a few FPS drop, I can safely go for the 3000 MHz and save $20, or maybe even down to 2800 and save another $10 on top of that. Would definitely help out with getting a better case.

Just curious. Does anybody have any PCs they've built just sitting around not being used?

Well, my Dad's got one out in the cabin based on previous parts he's used from differing machines. Think it's got like a Q6600 CPU and a GTX 670 as the graphics card. He passed it to me and then I upgraded from it last year.

Just wondering if the habit exists, or...?

b0bbyJ03

any chance anyone here has gone from a Steelseries Rival 300 to a Zowie EC1A/EC2A?

I mainly use my mouse for shooters and I'm thinking about buying a Zowie (currently have the Rival) but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Wanted someone with experience with these two mice to chime in. Also, did the weight of the Zowie make much of a difference to you, since it's lighter, or is the difference negligible? thanks.

Might see some pressure eased on GPU Prices & Demand

Ppcoming Nvidia miner driver and VBIOS tweaking will see GTX 1080 mining performance boost up to 60MH/s compared to about 25MH/s on RX 480. Low cost GTX 1060 miner card would cost about £190 and GTX 1080 Miner card would cost about £329 after exchange rate and VAT.

MOQ of 100 units, they are strictly for mining/corporate customers only.

FUCK, I just remembered that if I ditch AMD in replacing my faulty 480, I won't be able to make use of my Free-Sync monitor... Fuck sake, this is why I'm put off by Nvidia's stupid premium model.

Übermatik;240854659 said:
FUCK, I just remembered that if I ditch AMD in replacing my faulty 480, I won't be able to make use of my Free-Sync monitor... Fuck sake, this is why I'm put off by Nvidia's stupid premium model.

At this stage it might be worth trying Gumtree, depending on where you are, and hope for someone selling at an honest price.

Übermatik;240856375 said:
Selling what? A 580?

Yeah. Though looking at it myself... the one possibly good option is in Hampshire, right now. The others are almost double the price, or are ads almost certainly from miners, asking for AMD cards.

Edit: Assuming no-one has snatched it up already either.

Übermatik;240854659 said:
The whole divide kinda sucks (gsync vs freesync). I jumped on the gsync bandwagon a couple years ago. No doubt you end up paying more with an Nvidia setup than AMD but I've found Nvidia to be more consistent in releasing new products than AMD (for instance, we're still waiting for Vega like a year-ish after Pascal launched, or something like that?).

AudioEppa

Well, my Dad's got one out in the cabin based on previous parts he's used from differing machines. Think it's got like a Q6600 CPU and a GTX 670 as the graphics card. He passed it to me and then I upgraded from it last year.

Just wondering if the habit exists, or...?

In my mind at the time I was fishing for somebody's old PC for free...yeah I know

After I posted it I didn't feel right about it. Honestly didn't think anyone would reply.

My PC

Dell XPS 420 (almost 10 years)
• Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
• 3gb of ram
• GeForce 8600 GT

I'm surprised she's still alive lol

e90Mark

any chance anyone here has gone from a Steelseries Rival 300 to a Zowie EC1A/EC2A?

I mainly use my mouse for shooters and I'm thinking about buying a Zowie (currently have the Rival) but I'm not sure if it's worth it. Wanted someone with experience with these two mice to chime in. Also, did the weight of the Zowie make much of a difference to you, since it's lighter, or is the difference negligible? thanks.

Haven't gone from a Rival, but if you like the ergo shaped mice, the EC series is one of the best you can get.

It's going to be a hell of a lot lighter 97/93g vs 130, and smaller in size. If you like the size of the rival, the EC1 is just a tad smaller in width/height.

I own multiple of the EC2, just because it's my favorite mouse.

In my mind at the time I was fishing for somebody's old PC for free...yeah I know

After I posted it I didn't feel right about it. Honestly didn't think anyone would reply.

My PC

Dell XPS 420 (almost 10 years)
• Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
• 3gb of ram
• GeForce 8600 GT

I'm surprised she's still alive lol

Ah, so wouldn't be much of an upgrade on the CPU front. I'd have to double check what it's got RAM wise, but my Dad's been wanting to offload the thing for a while. Will have to see what (if anything) he's wanting to sell it for, or if he's actually taken to using it.

Take it you don't have much of a budget for upgrading purposes?

Edit: And uh, quick clarification, where are you? I live in the UK, so any help would only really work and make sense if we're in the same country.

SOLDIER

Well, based on the other pictures you posted, it doesn't seem like you've got any issues in overutilisation. Firefox is eating up RAM, sure, but simply turning that off while you play should resolve any particular issue from that.

As to the install dates issue, it's apparently something that can get screwed up by Windows updates - so the PC detects games for the 'first time' after an update, and pegs that as when they're installed in the registry. Certainly no indication they're being installed in the background and taking up resources.

Thanks for checking.

I think that just leaves my network as a possible cause. What are the steps I can do to check that next?

Yeah. Though looking at it myself... the one possibly good option is in Hampshire, right now. The others are almost double the price, or are ads almost certainly from miners, asking for AMD cards.

Edit: Assuming no-one has snatched it up already either.

Hmmm, it's worth a look.
eBuyer, where my 580 re-order rests, said they'r expecting stock tomorrow. The date on their site has since vanished, though. Only reason I ordered with them was because they claimed to get cards in sooner, despite being more expensive.

I really don't know what to do. As it stands

+ 580 is the best card at that price point
+ I'm able to use my Free-Sync monitor
+ Cheaper than a 1070
− Not as powerful or future-proof as 1070
− Small price gap almost makes it worthwhile jumping to a 1070
− Nvidia's tech will accelerate my creative work
− 580's are nowhere to be found

ARRRRRGHHH,

b0bbyJ03

Haven't gone from a Rival, but if you like the ergo shaped mice, the EC series is one of the best you can get.

It's going to be a hell of a lot lighter 97/93g vs 130, and smaller in size. If you like the size of the rival, the EC1 is just a tad smaller in width/height.

I own multiple of the EC2, just because it's my favorite mouse.

Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll order one soon.

Top Bottom