• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Übermatik;240864244 said:
Hmmm, it's worth a look.
eBuyer, where my 580 re-order rests, said they'r expecting stock tomorrow. The date on their site has since vanished, though. Only reason I ordered with them was because they claimed to get cards in sooner, despite being more expensive.

I really don't know what to do. As it stands

+ 580 is the best card at that price point
+ I'm able to use my Free-Sync monitor
+ Cheaper than a 1070
− Not as powerful or future-proof as 1070
− Small price gap almost makes it worthwhile jumping to a 1070
− Nvidia's tech will accelerate my creative work
− 580's are nowhere to be found

ARRRRRGHHH,

Yeah, miners have put you in something of a tight spot there. Where possible I'd probably recommend the 580, but if ebuyer's stock doesn't slot you in, might be just worth getting the 1070. Yes, inability to use freesync will suck, but at least you'll get the power trade off.

Yeah, miners have put you in something of a tight spot there. Where possible I'd probably recommend the 580, but if ebuyer's stock doesn't slot you in, might be just worth getting the 1070. Yes, inability to use freesync will suck, but at least you'll get the power trade off.

Pretty much yeah... we'll see if eBuyer pull through tomorrow (buying from anywhere else is the end of the month as an estimate at best) - if they don't, it's 1070 time.

When those 580s being used for mining are inevitably sold, are they fine to buy used? Are they more prone to failure because of heavy use or something?

When those 580s being used for mining are inevitably sold, are they fine to buy used? Are they more prone to failure because of heavy use or something?
If it's a miner who knows what they're doing, the cards may be undervolted, or at least not pushed hard enough to affect longetivity. But you still run the risk of getting a modded BIOS or some other such nonsense.

If the crypto rush ends soon, we may still be able to get cards still within their warrant periods used. Win win all around.

Was just casually scrolling through my local Microcenter's stock of GPUs and man, RIP to anyone wanting a 570 or 580. It really is true, everything is just massively sold out everywhere.

Was just casually scrolling through my local Microcenter's stock of GPUs and man, RIP to anyone wanting a 570 or 580. It really is true, everything is just massively sold out everywhere.

I sold my RX 480 for about twice as much as I paid for it on EBay. Currently stuck with iGPU until the market calms the hell down for a second. Good thing I have a huge backlog of 2D games.

If anybody's got a Radeon card, you might as well dump it now - you're sitting on an appreciated asset. Hopefully the cryptocurrency rush ends for those who want a new card.

SCB3

So need a little guidance

Right now I have:

• AMD FX-6300 Black
  • 16gb RAM
  • ASUS Geforce GTX 950 2gb

I need an upgrade now, so was looking at the new Ryzen CPU's and the new GPU's out now, but for a complete overhaul, I've got the price down to about £650

but I was limiting myself on the GPU really to get that cost down, would it be worth it to just upgrade to

• FX-9050
  • 32gb RAM
  • RX580

and upgrade again after saving for a while first? Looking to play on Ultra most games as I can at at least 60fps

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
How much of an upgade would a 1050 be over an amd r7 265?

Significant?

RomeoDog

Banned
Right now i have a Core i5 cpu,

can I just upgrade to a core i9 cpu when they come out? Or would I need a new mother board or to update the motherboard bios?

Übermatik;240864244 said:
Hmmm, it's worth a look.
eBuyer, where my 580 re-order rests, said they'r expecting stock tomorrow. The date on their site has since vanished, though. Only reason I ordered with them was because they claimed to get cards in sooner, despite being more expensive.

I really don't know what to do. As it stands

+ 580 is the best card at that price point
+ I'm able to use my Free-Sync monitor
+ Cheaper than a 1070
− Not as powerful or future-proof as 1070
− Small price gap almost makes it worthwhile jumping to a 1070
− Nvidia's tech will accelerate my creative work
− 580's are nowhere to be found

ARRRRRGHHH,
What monitor is it? If it's a fancy one then maybe try to stick with AMD. If it's not anything fancy then I'd probably jump to Nvidia. Also resolution/refresh rate is probably important to know here.

Right now I have:

• AMD FX-6300 Black
  • 16gb RAM

I need an upgrade now, so was looking at the new Ryzen CPU's and the new GPU's out now, but for a complete overhaul, I've got the price down to about £650

but I was limiting myself on the GPU really to get that cost down, would it be worth it to just upgrade to

• FX-9050
  • 32gb RAM
  • RX580

and upgrade again after saving for a while first? Looking to play on Ultra most games as I can at at least 60fps

No, because ultimately it's a limited path that will require spending more money than necessary. In order:
-There is no FX-9050. There is the 9590, a stupidly hot CPU that would require liquid cooling and draws a high amount of power, even if it would technically perform much better. Alternatively, if you meant the 8350, it would be an upgrade but honestly not one I would suggest getting vs straight up buying a Ryzen or current intel CPU.
-You have plenty enough RAM for gaming at Ultra, even with DDR3. Going to 32GB is pointless.
-As you might gleam from the last few pages, the RX580 is kinda hard to come by atm due to popularity with cryptocurrency miners. Since you're working with a GTX 950 right now, the most immediately upgrade for ultra settings at 1080p60 would be the GTX 1060.

If you want a cheapish upgrade before going to something more substantial later down the road, I'd suggest a G4560 based build. That'll put you on the kabylake chipset, making it easy to just replace the CPU later on. Snag a used GTX 970 on ebay and you can have your upgrade together for £350-400. You'll be limited in some areas - bottlenecked mostly on CPU intensive games - but could still achieve mostly ultra settings on many titles.

If you're wanting to spend even less than that, then see about overclocking the 6300 you've got, and just spend your money on a GPU upgrade. You'll still be constrained in many instances, but it's the most immediate, cheapest solution for coming close to your goals.

can I just upgrade to a core i9 cpu when they come out? Or would I need a new mother board or to update the motherboard bios?

The upcoming core i9 CPUs are on an entirely different chipset from what is currently on the market, so yes you would need a new motherboard. What specific CPU do you want to upgrade from?

kharma45

No, it's a different socket.

How much of an upgade would a 1050 be over an amd r7 265?

Significant?

How much are you looking to spend? The 1050 Ti is barely any more than a 1050 and much better.

Right now I have:

• AMD FX-6300 Black
  • 16gb RAM

• FX-9050
  • 32gb RAM
  • RX580

Do not waste money on an FX CPU.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/382034122947

Newegg is selling the ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti on ebay for $639. Yes, I know it's a non-reference blower style fan, but it's cheap. You won't get a copy of Destiny 2 with it either, but there will be cheap enough keys from the Nvidia promo on eBay soon enough.

My case runs pretty hot so I wanted a blower style fan anyways. Would rather had reference but at this price it's hard to complain.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291981538610

They're also selling the 960 Evo M.2 500GB for $200.

Don't be so sure about the Nvidia keys being so easily available. After the Gears 4 fiasco, Nvidia is supposedly making it so that the game key can only be linked to the purchaser

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
No, it's a different socket.

How much are you looking to spend? The 1050 Ti is barely any more than a 1050 and much better.

Do not waste money on an FX CPU.

1050ti is fine too, keep trying to get 1060's and rx 570's but they are out of stock and, when in stock, go out very quickly, so considering cutting my losses on a 1050 of some sort, I am not a huge gamer, just looking to upgrade so I can play battlegrounds, fifa 18, the new wolfenstein, dishonored 2 et al, currently my r7 is struggling bad.

1050ti is fine too, keep trying to get 1060's and rx 570's but they are out of stock and, when in stock, go out very quickly, so considering cutting my losses on a 1050 of some sort, I am not a huge gamer, just looking to upgrade so I can play battlegrounds, fifa 18, the new wolfenstein, dishonored 2 et al, currently my r7 is struggling bad.

Then the 1050 Ti is what I'd also recommend. That's a card that'll do high-medium settings on fairly demanding titles at around 60 fps.

SCB3

No, because ultimately it's a limited path that will require spending more money than necessary. In order:
-There is no FX-9050. There is the 9590, a stupidly hot CPU that would require liquid cooling and draws a high amount of power, even if it would technically perform much better. Alternatively, if you meant the 8350, it would be an upgrade but honestly not one I would suggest getting vs straight up buying a Ryzen or current intel CPU.
-You have plenty enough RAM for gaming at Ultra, even with DDR3. Going to 32GB is pointless.
-As you might gleam from the last few pages, the RX580 is kinda hard to come by atm due to popularity with cryptocurrency miners. Since you're working with a GTX 950 right now, the most immediately upgrade for ultra settings at 1080p60 would be the GTX 1060.

If you want a cheapish upgrade before going to something more substantial later down the road, I'd suggest a G4560 based build. That'll put you on the kabylake chipset, making it easy to just replace the CPU later on. Snag a used GTX 970 on ebay and you can have your upgrade together for £350-400. You'll be limited in some areas - bottlenecked mostly on CPU intensive games - but could still achieve mostly ultra settings on many titles.

If you're wanting to spend even less than that, then see about overclocking the 6300 you've got, and just spend your money on a GPU upgrade. You'll still be constrained in many instances, but it's the most immediate, cheapest solution for coming close to your goals.

Thanks, so I'll look at a 1060gtx for now then, I so wish I went Intel for CPU now :/

What monitor is it? If it's a fancy one then maybe try to stick with AMD. If it's not anything fancy then I'd probably jump to Nvidia. Also resolution/refresh rate is probably important to know here.

It's a ~£200 Dell IPS, 75Hz 1080p... so really nothing fancy.
I'll actually try playing with FreeSync off tomorrow and see if I notice. I fear I might. Still, I may well replace my monitor sometime down the line, and a 1070 would greater support 1440p or even 4k.

Thanks, so I'll look at a 1060gtx for now then, I so wish I went Intel for CPU now :/

I was in that position last year. Had picked up an FX 6350 on a friend's recommendation, and since it was cheap secondhand in CEX. Certainly functional as an entry level CPU and better than the Q6600 I had been working with, but it showed its limits quite clearly when playing stuff like the Witcher 3 on my 970. When LilJoka was offloading his 6700k I jumped at the chance.

Still, with the right balance of settings you should still be able to get 60 FPS out of it much of the time, especially if overclocked. Meanwhile if you get the 1060 now, when you're able to bump up the CPU + RAM + Mobo, you'll really appreciate the overall gain.

Brannon

If PUBG isn't working out for you on a gtx 970, you're definitely running into a CPU bottleneck.

...oh my god I just remembered I throttled my CPU quite a bit for... SOMETHING and never brought it back up months ago.

let us pretend this never happened

Aesthet1c

Anyone have any good recommendations for a monitor?

I'd prefer a 27". Are IPS panels the rage right now? Probably just 1080p, bonus points for curved. My budget just $250.

I have found a few that would work, but I have been out of the monitor market for so long that I don't want to accidentally buy crap.

Still trying to find a monitor. I see a couple in the OP that I'm debating between. I've been starting to read that 27" is too big for only 1080p. Anyone with a 27" monitor able to chime in on that? My budget is a little too low for a 1440p 27" monitor, so now I'm debating just getting a 24".

Bloodember

Still trying to find a monitor. I see a couple in the OP that I'm debating between. I've been starting to read that 27" is too big for only 1080p. Anyone with a 27" monitor able to chime in on that? My budget is a little too low for a 1440p 27" monitor, so now I'm debating just getting a 24".
I use 1080p 27" monitor, it looks just fine. Not sure who would say 1080 doesn't look good on 27". I'll also be getting a 27" 1440p monitor soon.

Aesthet1c

Thanks! That is actually one of the 24's I have been debating over.

I use 1080p 27" monitor, it looks just fine. Not sure who would say 1080 doesn't look good on 27". I'll also be getting a 27" 1440p monitor soon.

Thank you, that's good to know. Maybe I'll keep the 27's in the mix. I don't think I would have a problem either, but some of these reviews make it sound like 1080p on a 27" may as well be a playing through a screen door.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Finally added my cute little fans and exhaust fan. They help. Getting several degrees lower overall.

oXP0xo8.png

OdJnVau.jpg

Jeff6851

I sold my RX 480 for about twice as much as I paid for it on EBay. Currently stuck with iGPU until the market calms the hell down for a second. Good thing I have a huge backlog of 2D games.

If anybody's got a Radeon card, you might as well dump it now - you're sitting on an appreciated asset. Hopefully the cryptocurrency rush ends for those who want a new card.

I was thinking about selling mine on eBay and getting a GTX 1070 but eBay takes so much that I'd still probably wind up spending $100 more. Maybe if I were going for 1440p.

AtlantiC_CodeX

Neo Member
So I'm looking for a good cheap mechanical keyboard while waiting for my pc parts to come in. Any recommendations?

I bought the Logitech MX Master mouse today I'm hoping It'll be good for gaming?

Pachimari

The 1070 should be able to handle most games on ultra at 1080p. If you want to downsample from 4K though you'll need the 1080 ti as the regular 1080 can't get a solid 60 FPS without sacrificing some graphical settings. The 1080 can handle 1440p, though.

Hmm, if I go for the GTX 1080ti, which one on this list should be going for? I see there's a lot of Founder's Edition's, but what's the difference between the cards, and which one is the recommended one for gaming?

kharma45

1060s in stock

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01IPFN7UQ/

http://www.ebuyer.com/755849-gigaby...link-dvi-d-hdmi-displayport-gv-n1060wf2oc-6gd

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/kfa2...ddr5-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-012-nv.html

Seems like there's plenty of stock of them. I see what you mean about the AMD cards. No stock of the 470/570 or 480/580 anywhere. Why not just stick a pre-order in for one of those? Surely you'd have had one by now if you'd done that rather than just trying to time it for stock to come in?

NEO0MJ

Seeing fancey cases kinda makes me regret skimping with the case but the only good looking option was the Corsair Crystal and that's way out of my budget.

So I'm looking for a good cheap mechanical keyboard while waiting for my pc parts to come in. Any recommendations?

I bought the Logitech MX Master mouse today I'm hoping It'll be good for gaming?

I have the Logitech 710+ and I like it a lot. It uses MX brown keys so it's quieter than the others and is in the middle spot between being ideal for both typing and gaming. It's a bit of an old model though so I'm not sure how well it holds up in comparision to modern keyboards.
If you plan on using the KB mainly for gaming something with MX red might be better. The Corsair Vengeance K65 is probably the most solid cheap option available, but it lacks a number pad. If you need that then the CM Storm Quick Fire TK, Corsair STRAFE, and the Logitech G610 are all popular options. Note that most modern keyboards come all key colors so make sure which type it uses before buying.
Hmm, if I go for the GTX 1080ti, which one on this list should be going for? I see there's a lot of Founder's Edition's, but what's the difference between the cards, and which one is the recommended one for gaming?

It's better to avoid Founder's editions as the cooling solution on them is not that good and might need extra support. However they are on sale right now on newegg so it might be worth it if you're willing to put up with what they need.

The Zotac Amp Extreme seems to be the fastest one right now but I don't think it's that significant a factor. What I do know is that there are people complaining about issues with the Gigabyte Aorus so it might be better to avoid that one for now. There doesn't seem to be full consensus on which is best between EVGA FTW3, ASUS STRIX, and MSI GAMING X. I guess go with the one you like the looks of more?
You can check the review thread for impressions about them.

Seeing fancey cases kinda makes me regret skimping with the case but the only good looking option was the Corsair Crystal and that's way out of my budget.

LOL I use the cheapest case I can get my hands on, but I ended up with a pile of super heavy beasts from the 90s so I finally cracked and spent a grand total of $20 on a smaller microatx case.

Maybe next time around I'll make an itx build. Sounds like fun, though probably more cuts on my hand.

PizzaFace

Banned
Currently got a 7950, thinking of upgrading to a 1060, sticking at 1080p for the foreseeable future.

Will this give me a noticeable bump, how will I handle current games and this holiday's games? (for reference I also have an i5-3750K which I haven't OC'd and 8GB ram)

Leeroy605

Is a i7-4790k a decent upgrade from a i5-4690k in today's games?

Moved to a smaller case so can't have my CPU liquid cooled anymore, meaning I'll have to reduce or remove my 4.5Ghz overclock. Wondering if the i7 provides a noticeable improvement in today's games and would make up for the removal of the overclock.

Got a 1070 and playing in 4k. Thanks.

kuYuri

Is a i7-4790k a decent upgrade from a i5-4690k in today's games?

Moved to a smaller case so can't have my CPU liquid cooled anymore, meaning I'll have to reduce or remove my 4.5Ghz overclock. Wondering if the i7 provides a noticeable improvement in today's games and would make up for the removal of the overclock.

Got a 1070 and playing in 4k. Thanks.

While the i7 will give some noticeable bumps in games like Witcher 3 and GTAV, at 4K, you should be more focused on upgrading to a stronger GPU.

GodofWine

1050ti gets about 60fps at 1080p in Battegrounds on mixed settings. I have it paired with a g4560, very pleased with the price / performance ratio

Kuosi

While the i7 will give some noticeable bumps in games like Witcher 3 and GTAV, at 4K, you should be more focused on upgrading to a stronger GPU.

This, 1070 doesn't quite cut it for 4k and i5 is more than enough to fuel 1070 on 4k as it wont reach that high fps where i5s would start falling behind

Hey folks, my PC desk is pretty compact, so there's not much place for a full-fledged keyboard. I'm looking for a small keyboard, 30-35cm width max., not mechanical or rather not seeing the prices.
Never shopped for keyboards before and the online stores I'm looking at in Germany are mostly big keyboards.
Would appreciate recommendations for small form factor keyboards. Budget is about 50€.

Leeroy605

This, 1070 doesn't quite cut it for 4k and i5 is more than enough to fuel 1070 on 4k as it wont reach that high fps where i5s would start falling behind

Cheers guys, the i7 would only set me back £100 or so after selling my current CPU so may do that now and wait for the next line of nvidia cards considering the only one truly capable of 4k is the 1080ti.

Okay with putting a few settings down for now!

Sorry if old.

Linus Tech Tips - $151.99 PC

It can run Crysis.

I actually did benchmarks on my iGPU versus a GT 730 I had, and the 730 won by just a hair. But only just. Damn card is only good for an HDMI port.

No surprise a 8400 would be abysmal at this point. Integrated graphics got good enough around the time Intel switched over to the iX branding.

If anybody likes to watch bargain PC building, I'd recommend Youtube channels like Nerd in a Budget and Oafah. I love that sort of stuff.

Top Bottom