• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

Reposting since I still need help:

Can someone suggest me a build for video-editing? A friend asked me for a video-editing rig and I think I have a good prospective build but I would like a second suggestion as my knowledge is more gaming oriented.

Budget: 1500€, Germany
Main Use: Video Editing, very light gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Adobe After Effects with 4k input files
Looking to reuse any parts?: No (Aside from his Windows 10 license)
When will you build?: In the next 1-2 weeks
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe :p

I was thinking of 32gb RAM, two SSDs, one 250gb for the OS and one 500gb as a media-cache for After Effects of some sort, aswell as a 2-3tb HDD. He also would like to spend 100-200€ of the budget on a nice looking case with RGBs and all but it's not mandatory, I thought of a Fractal Design R5 so the PC is atleast somewhat quiet.

Thanks for help in advance! :)

Nazo

Yeah, miners have put you in something of a tight spot there. Where possible I'd probably recommend the 580, but if ebuyer's stock doesn't slot you in, might be just worth getting the 1070. Yes, inability to use freesync will suck, but at least you'll get the power trade off.

I was wondering why 580's were literally out of stock everywhere. I was hoping to buy one soon to start my PC build.

Stupid question, but what do you mean mining? For like bitcoins?

KingV

Man, I was looking at possibly upgrading my GPU and... GPU prices are crazy right now. I could barely find a 1070 less than $400.

So I decided to wait until AMD comes out with Vega (whenever that happens).

It's crazy to me that everyone seems to be leaving open the pricepoint previously occupied by the 970. That was a good price/performance mix for a lot of people. Now you have $400 1070, and $270 1060 6GB.

I was wondering why 580's were literally out of stock everywhere. I was hoping to buy one soon to start my PC build.

Stupid question, but what do you mean mining? For like bitcoins?

Yep. It and ethereum have shot up in price lately, driving a surge in people trying to get in. Though uh, looking it up now, they apparently took a severe hit in price and crashed one of the exchanges. Wonder if that'll affect demand for GPUs in the near future.

Bloodember

Reposting since I still need help:

Can someone suggest me a build for video-editing? A friend asked me for a video-editing rig and I think I have a good prospective build but I would like a second suggestion as my knowledge is more gaming oriented.

Budget: 1500€, Germany
Main Use: Video Editing, very light gaming
Monitor Resolution: 1080p
List SPECIFIC games or applications that you MUST be able to run well: Adobe After Effects with 4k input files
Looking to reuse any parts?: No (Aside from his Windows 10 license)
When will you build?: In the next 1-2 weeks
Will you be overclocking?: Maybe :p

I was thinking of 32gb RAM, two SSDs, one 250gb for the OS and one 500gb as a media-cache for After Effects of some sort, aswell as a 2-3tb HDD. He also would like to spend 100-200€ of the budget on a nice looking case with RGBs and all but it's not mandatory, I thought of a Fractal Design R5 so the PC is atleast somewhat quiet.

Thanks for help in advance! :)

Here you go. I added most of what you asked for. Instead of 2 3tb drives I put in one 4tb drive, if he needs more room then just add another one later. The case is personal preference, get what he wants. I'm not a fan of Fractal Design as they are boring, as the reason I rarely recommend them. Adjust the video card accordingly, I put in a 1060, not sure what he would need. Since you mentioned 4k input files, not sure the 1060 will work, you may need to step the CPU down and up the GPU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor (€355.81 @ Amazon Deutschland)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Shadow Rock Slim 67.8 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler (€42.90 @ Caseking)
Motherboard: ASRock - A320M Pro4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (€76.45 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (€268.74 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 275GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (€83.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€151.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Toshiba - X300 4TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€129.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card (€279.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case: NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (€81.98 @ ARLT)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (€69.89 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €1539.75
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-06-16 19:50 CEST+0200

Samus4145

I plan to replace my z170 motherboard with a z270 chipset. What is the preferred thermal paste to use for a Corsair h115i? I've only used arctic silver in the past.

Jezbollah

Übermatik;240995854 said:
Just triple checking - buying an EVGA GTX 1070. My 550w PSU should be fine right?

FYI. I just upgraded my EVGA Hybrid 1070 with a Strix 1080ti. Both work fine.

I have a 600w Seasonic.

ISee

Whys that?

Because chances are high for coffee lake to just offer 4c/8t max.

I plan to replace my z170 motherboard with a z270 chipset. What is the preferred thermal paste to use for a Corsair h115i? I've only used arctic silver in the past.

Not really a worthwhile replacement, but you most likely already know that.
The thermal grizzly paste is pretty good, but the standard packed in stuff is already good enough.

Here you go. I added most of what you asked for. Instead of 2 3tb drives I put in one 4tb drive, if he needs more room then just add another one later. The case is personal preference, get what he wants. I'm not a fan of Fractal Design as they are boring, as the reason I rarely recommend them. Adjust the video card accordingly, I put in a 1060, not sure what he would need. Since you mentioned 4k input files, not sure the 1060 will work, you may need to step the CPU down and up the GPU.

Thanks for the reply :) That looks great for the price! So Ryzen is the way to go for video-editing with its high core-count? I'm honest, I'm so confused about Ryzen performance and hear some many different things so I don't even know anymore.

And about the 4k files, really? I heard that video-editing is mostly CPU and not GPU bound? Did that change in recent years due to CUDA and stuff?

Bloodember

Thanks for the reply :) That looks great for the price! So Ryzen is the way to go for video-editing with its high core-count? I'm honest, I'm so confused about Ryzen performance and hear some many different things so I don't even know anymore.

And about the 4k files, really? I heard that video-editing is mostly CPU and not GPU bound? Did that change in recent years due to CUDA and stuff?
For video editing yes ryzen is better because of the additional cores. As for the 4k files, I don't know, someone else will have to answer that.

Llyranor

Quick questions regarding my old PC. I suspect this means I need a new PC, or at least GPU. Couldn't find a general PC troubleshooting thread.

1) Screen started getting some graphical glitches (squares, lines) and freezes, but only when launching certain games.

2) Afterward, the screen always has those graphical glitches on the regular windows menu/screen. PC still works as usual, so I back up my important stuff but don't dare launch a game.

3) I plug the monitor on the integrated card slot, and the screen displays normally. Ok, so it's just a dying GPU. However, it only stays on the desktop screen for a few seconds before turning black

4) I've rechecked the monitor wires and the gpu/motherboard connection to the case to make sure nothing is loose, but the monitor constantly turns on ok (with graphical glitches) on the gpu slot, but not on the integrated card slot (monitor light is orange as in there is nothing to display, rather than blue)

5) Now even when connected to the gpu, it freezes before it can boot into windows

Based on this limited info (I am not particularly hardware-savvy), does this mean there is a motherboard or something else issue aside from just the gpu? I am going to dig up a spare monitor amd test if I get the same results

Quick questions regarding my old PC. I suspect this means I need a new PC, or at least GPU. Couldn't find a general PC troubleshooting thread.

1) Screen started getting some graphical glitches (squares, lines) and freezes, but only when launching certain games.

2) Afterward, the screen always has those graphical glitches on the regular windows menu/screen. PC still works as usual, so I back up my important stuff but don't dare launch a game.

3) I plug the monitor on the integrated card slot, and the screen displays normally. Ok, so it's just a dying GPU. However, it only stays on the desktop screen for a few seconds before turning black

4) I've rechecked the monitor wires and the gpu/motherboard connection to the case to make sure nothing is loose, but the monitor constantly turns on ok (with graphical glitches) on the gpu slot, but not on the integrated card slot (monitor light is orange as in there is nothing to display, rather than blue)

5) Now even when connected to the gpu, it freezes before it can boot into windows

Based on this limited info (I am not particularly hardware-savvy), does this mean there is a motherboard or something else issue aside from just the gpu? I am going to dig up a spare monitor amd test if I get the same results

Check your temperatures, always first port of call, really.

Nuu

Banned
I am getting very antsy about doing a new build.

Right now I have a GTX 970, i5-2500k OC, abd 8GB of RAM.

However, the only "highend" games I plan on playing for this year are Nier: Automata and Residen Evil VII. I run all ny games at 1080p and 60fps. It would be best for me just to waot another year to upgrade right? I just feel so weird still rocking my six year old build.

rtcn63

However, the only "highend" games I plan on playing for this year are Nier: Automata and Residen Evil VII. I run all ny games at 1080p and 60fps. It would be best for me just to waot another year to upgrade right? I just feel so weird still rocking my six year old build.

I have an i5-3570K + 1060 6GB and I can run RE7 at max settings... I think. Even then, it looks fine at medium.

Quick question here, is there usually a hard drive limit when it comes to motherboards? I'm thinking about picking up another SSD but I just realized that I should make sure I can actually use it before buying. Currently using an ASUS Z170 with an i7, if that matters.

rtcn63

Good God. This CPU just won't die. Is there an equivalent of it for this generation around?

Probably another i5 or Ryzen R5.

Although, benchmarks have shown that the i7 CPU's are the best investment if you're not looking to upgrade your CPU + mobo + possibly ram every five or so years (and like to play CPU-demanding games in particular). An i7-2600K (Sandy Bridge) runs close to a modern i5.

dr_mario

Gosh dangit, of course the New PC doesnt work. I dont have every Detail right now (ryzen 5 1600, ab350 pro 4 Asus, ripjaws 2800, zotac 1050 ti, sharkoon wmp 500). What happens when i Start the System is basically nothing. Every Fan begins to spin (2 case fans +CPU +graphische card). Touching The Ssd and Firecuda SSHD gives me The feeling of very slight vibration, so they seem to run As well
The only thing not working is the screen. Be it One of my TVs or my old Monitor with vga+dvi adapter, on two different graphic cards (!), they all remain Black. The case speaker does either not work or the system doesnt give a error Sound. I have no idea What to try or how to find out If my Mainboard is broken. Could the CPU be installed wrongly? Or would the BIOS still appear? Would IT still appear with bad /badly installed RAM? Goong to a sad sleep now. I hope aomeone can help.

Btw, i tried both PCI Ports.

NEO0MJ

i feel like i should go for a GTX1080 instead of a GTX1070 even though its around $550 and that's a chunk :/

Hmmm.

If you have a 1440p monitor the 1080 is a must. Only other reason to need it is if you want maximum future proofing.

It's still super solid. Next year we're supposed to get some good stuff so wait until then to upgrade. If you had a build from the GTX 5XX era then it would be different.

Bloodember

Gosh dangit, of course the New PC doesnt work. I dont have every Detail right now (ryzen 5 1600, ab350 pro 4 Asus, ripjaws 2800, zotac 1050 ti, sharkoon wmp 500). What happens when i Start the System is basically nothing. Every Fan begins to spin (2 case fans +CPU +graphische card). Touching The Ssd and Firecuda SSHD gives me The feeling of very slight vibration, so they seem to run As well
The only thing not working is the screen. Be it One of my TVs or my old Monitor with vga+dvi adapter, on two different graphic cards (!), they all remain Black. The case speaker does either not work or the system doesnt give a error Sound. I have no idea What to try or how to find out If my Mainboard is broken. Could the CPU be installed wrongly? Or would the BIOS still appear? Would IT still appear with bad /badly installed RAM? Goong to a sad sleep now. I hope aomeone can help.

Make sure you have all your cables plugged in, the ram is seated correctly, you will hear a click when they seat. Try with one stick of ram also.

When you say begin to spin, do you mean they stop immediately afterwards? Or does it seem like the system is running but no display is being put out?

General possibilities:
-Reseat your RAM. Your system will not run if it isn't installed properly because there's nothing to hold the system data
-Reseat the CPU. Check pins aren't bent. If it isn't seated properly the system won't start because there's nothing to run it
-Reseat the GPU. Though since you claim to have tested this with multiple graphics cards, I presume you've done that?
-Test/swap out the power supply. Ultimately systems need power, and if your system isn't getting it for some reason, then of course it's not gonna work.

Hi all. My Sennheiser external soundcard finally died and I have noticed that my on-board sound just isn't that great. I don't have an extra PCI-E slot for a soundcard, so does anyone have any recommendations on a soundcard that uses USB?

Another question, my friend just built a new computer with the latest and greatest hardware, but it still only get 40 fps in DOTA 2. Any suggestions on what he should be doing to fix this?

Nuu

Banned
Probably another i5 or Ryzen R5.

Although, benchmarks have shown that the i7 CPU's are the best investment if you're not looking to upgrade your CPU + mobo + possibly ram every five or so years (and like to play CPU-demanding games in particular). An i7-2600K (Sandy Bridge) runs close to a modern i5.
I had my eye on the i7-7700k or Ryzen X1500 (I think that's what it's called).

It's still super solid. Next year we're supposed to get some good stuff so wait until then to upgrade. If you had a build from the GTX 5XX era then it would be different.
Good to know. It's really a blessing that gaming is no longer as CPU intensive as it used to be.

Hieberrr

What's a good small micro ATX case? I'm moving soon and would like to put my PC in the living room, but the NZXT H230 case I have is kind of large.

rtcn63

What's a good small micro ATX case? I'm moving soon and would like to put my PC in the living room, but the NZXT H230 case I have is kind of large.

Node 202?

vYvievs.jpg

Or if you want something a bit more versatile but bigger, the Define Mini C or Nano S (Fractal cases tend to sacrifice some cooling for silence).

I'm asking again to have more opinions but would a i5 3570k @4.2 bottleneck a gtx 1080ti for gaming at 1440p (preferably 144/165hz with gsync).

it feels weird to have had the same cpu for so long that I feel like a deer watching incoming headlights and don't know when its time to upgrade considering that I want to play recent games and upcoming ones at ultra.

Hieberrr

Node 202?

Or if you want something a bit more versatile but bigger, the Define Mini C or Nano S (Fractal cases tend to sacrifice some cooling for silence).

The Node 202 looks great, but all of my games are on a 3.5" HDD, so I'm not sure this will work. The other two might work though--thanks!

Bloodember

I'm asking again to have more opinions but would a i5 3570k @4.2 bottleneck a gtx 1080ti for gaming at 1440p (preferably 144/165hz with gsync).

it feels weird to have had the same cpu for so long that I feel like a deer watching incoming headlights and don't know when its time to upgrade considering that I want to play recent games and upcoming ones at ultra.
It may on CPU intesive games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

It's a very good CPU.

My only concern is that the motherboard lacks today's features.

LQX

Hi all. My Sennheiser external soundcard finally died and I have noticed that my on-board sound just isn't that great. I don't have an extra PCI-E slot for a soundcard, so does anyone have any recommendations on a soundcard that uses USB?
Buy a Schiit Fulla 2. Amp/DAC $99.

http://schiit.com/products/fulla-2

Another question, my friend just built a new computer with the latest and greatest hardware, but it still only get 40 fps in DOTA 2. Any suggestions on what he should be doing to fix this?

What's the specs on this latest and greatest system?

Fallen92

So I may have a problem installing my new mobo into my old case. The case has bumps were the mounting points are to serve as standoffs but the edge of the new mobo comes into contact with one of the bumps since it's a smaller matx mobo than the original matx mobo. What can I do about this? Would wrapping the raised bump with electrical tape work or would I need a new case?

Top Bottom