• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I swear my computer is blocking me out of certain websites!(virus?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
First of all everytime a webpage does'nt load.. Instead of showing a 404 Error page it shows som Navsearch site.. Its some sort of Adware that I can't seem to get rid of. Theres an uninstall for it but it does nothing.

There are certain sites that never seem to work for me. Namely www.tranceaddict.com , The site works on my labtop and on my friends computers but never on this one. For Internet Explorer it gives me that dumb search page.. and when I try loading it in Mozilla Firefox is gives me the popup website cannot be found or something.

So someone help me fix this shit.. the website thing more importantly than the adware thing.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Looks like something is messing with your hosts file.

Go into safemode, and in Windows XP open this in notepad:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Delete any IPs listed.

If it isn't spyware/adware, then it has to be something malicious. It'll be obvious if it's a virus if your hosts file is blocking all the antivirus sites. In that case, update your antivirus software, note the symptoms, and try to find a removal tool for what you think it is. Also check task manager. Look for stuff like "Explorer.exe" (Windows uses strictly "explorer.exe", the other is a virus).

Hitman

Edmonton's milkshake attracts no boys.
I ran spyware.. it found 340 Objects and removed them.. That stupid search page is still there and tranceaddict.com still won't work. I will try you said teh_pwn but I'm not sure how to go about getting into safemode for Winxp...

i opened the host text and see alot of sites listed.. some are like symantec and mcafee sites. Can i just delete them while in normal windows or do i have to be in safe mode?

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Yeah, you can do it in normal. I just suggested safe because the virus may just change it instantly back in normal.

Blocking anti virus sites isn't good. Sounds like it could be a virus.

Unless you've got peerguardian or Kazaa Lite or something that you know has edited your hosts file, it should be empty except for the comments at the top. So clear all IPs, and then change the host file to read only. I ran into a virus that was too dumb to change it back to write/read so it gave me access to the internet.

marsomega

Adware hasn't failed me. The program scans everything from host file to IE explorer registry, running processes etc. And its free.

impirius

If you're still having problems, I suggest running:
Ad-Aware with latest updates
Spybot S&D with latest updates
AVG with latest updates

If you're still having problems after that, CWShredder (gets rid of CoolWebSearch) and Hijack This! (gets rid of browser hijacks, but you have to be careful with it) may be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom