• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle thumbs IS BACK (Kickstarter ended) -- Funded in 3 hours

Crap, I have no idea how I missed that. Awesome!

Hey guys, possible idea that I might float here: Came across this in the AusGAF thread, looks like it could be decent book club fodder, providing that the ITBC isn't solely focused on deep discussion of themes and values ingrained in highbrow, sophisticated novels and is also there just for fun reading. Also supports fellow Kickstarters and innovation and all that crap.

The two books they've mentioned so far, Zen and Motorcycle Maintenance and the sense of an ending are both pretty "pop literary" books, so I wouldn't be too worried about them only entertaining "high brow" stuff. I don't think they will be diving deep into Marcel Proust, Pynchon, or Gene Wolfe anytime soon.

Brick

No. I don't have any of my consoles at the moment, and I don't think Jake and Sean have gotten around to it.

When you do get around to it, I HIGHLY recommend playing the whole thing in one sitting. It's only about 1 1/2 to 2 hours long, and playing it all at once gives the whole game more weight, in my opinion.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
You just made me pick up my dusty guitar, Remo. Well done!

I'm behind on all this news, but I just thought I'd chime in that partnering with Three Moves Ahead is great news. The Idle Thumbs Podcast and Three Moves Ahead are both far and away my favorite video games podcasts. So, good stuff!

That's all I've got.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Mr. Chris Remo, as a Kickstarter backer I feel I am entitled to an answer to the following question:

How did you move all your stuff across country? Pod? U-Haul? Sell everything and fly? Any advice for a guy moving from CA to PA in 3 months? We're trying to keep it cheap-ish, like under $2000.

Mr. Chris Remo, as a Kickstarter backer I feel I am entitled to an answer to the following question:

How did you move all your stuff across country? Pod? U-Haul? Sell everything and fly? Any advice for a guy moving from CA to PA in 3 months? We're trying to keep it cheap-ish, like under $2000.

It's actually all still in Boston. I just had a moving company come and put all my stuff in a truck and then they put it in storage. I'm a bit concerned at this point though because I've been contacting them to get them to ship it back to SF and I haven't gotten any response. It's not encouraging.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
It's actually all still in Boston. I just had a moving company come and put all my stuff in a truck and then they put it in storage. I'm a bit concerned at this point though because I've been contacting them to get them to ship it back to SF and I haven't gotten any response. It's not encouraging.

I'm sorry to hear that. We are in the fortunate position of not having anything truly irreplaceable other than the data on our computers. Even so, I'm not thrilled about the prospect of putting all of our stuff in a pod and hoping it gets to us on the other side.

sixghost

I didn't really care for the first couple 3MA episodes I listened to, mostly because I had absolutely 0 experience with the types of games they were discussing. But I just listened to the episode on Starcraft 2, and the episode on Build Orders, which were fantastic to listen to.

It's great to hear people discuss concepts such as build orders in depth instead of just brushing them aside as the thing that ruins RTS games. Maybe I'll try out some of the other games they talk about, since they mostly seem to be board games or more hardcore strategy games.

I didn't really care for the first couple 3MA episodes I listened to, mostly because I had absolutely 0 experience with the types of games they were discussing. But I just listened to the episode on Starcraft 2, and the episode on Build Orders, which were fantastic to listen to.

It's great to hear people discuss concepts such as build orders in depth instead of just brushing them aside as the thing that ruins RTS games. Maybe I'll try out some of the other games they talk about, since they mostly seem to be board games or more hardcore strategy games.

It does help to have a strong interest in strategy games, but I think the cast improved over time, and generally does a good job of keeping the discussions accessible to those with a shallower background in strategy gaming.

If you want some unintentional comedy of the uncomfortable kind, listen episode 27 to hear mad man Murdoch and the diabolical Doctor, Bruce Geryk, totally rip into a developer over their perceived shortcomings in his game.

It really does have some good discussion in there, but it is so unlike the typically podcast fawning over a guests game that it can be jarring to hear the panelists offering real criticism, and not the typical pleasing to the devs ear bullshit.

Shaneus

Weird question: Where did the Idle Thumbs signature/handwriting thing come from... is it a Thumb or just someone with nice handwriting?

Can the Ghostwriter replicate it?

And while I'm here, something I'd never seen before which was awesomely random and randomly awesome: Conan refuses to pay Goldbllum

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
i'm watching the kickstarter live archived video and, sorry to say, but amg is it awkward.

i actually wanted to see more pikmin 2.

edit: oh boy, the last chunk is more pikmin 2!

Holy crap. I'd be okay if you took my Kickstarter money to go beat some heads in to get your stuff back.

hey_it's_that_dog - When I moved from MI to CA, I rented space on a semi truck with other cargo and it ended up being a little shy of $2000 but this was in 2004. I just rented the amount of space I needed and they came by, loaded it up, and they dropped it off at my destination. I drove separately so I just made sure I got there before they did. Nice guy drove it and even helped unload even though they're not supposed to. I didn't have much could give him so I tipped him a dolly because someone took his two stops before mine.

Weird question: Where did the Idle Thumbs signature/handwriting thing come from... is it a Thumb or just someone with nice handwriting?

Can the Ghostwriter replicate it?

And while I'm here, something I'd never seen before which was awesomely random and randomly awesome: Conan refuses to pay Goldbllum

It's by Stevan Zivadinovic, who has been responsible for Idle Thumbs' logos going back to 2004, including the hands-and-typewriter one.

Anno

It does help to have a strong interest in strategy games, but I think the cast improved over time, and generally does a good job of keeping the discussions accessible to those with a shallower background in strategy gaming.

If you want some unintentional comedy of the uncomfortable kind, listen episode 27 to hear mad man Murdoch and the diabolical Doctor, Bruce Geryk, totally rip into a developer over their perceived shortcomings in his game.

It really does have some good discussion in there, but it is so unlike the typically podcast fawning over a guests game that it can be jarring to hear the panelists offering real criticism, and not the typical pleasing to the devs ear bullshit.

Oh god, thank you for reminding me of this episode. The audio quality is so terrible, but man is it interesting to listen to. Julian and Bruce always have some hilarious dynamic when they're on together, and they're interesting by themselves anyway. I'm hoping the 3MA partnership sees Chris hit up the cast more often.

I just caught up on the livestream -- that Pikmin 2 match with the clutch ball return was amazing. I would totally watch an Idle Thumbs Pikmin 2 e-sports broadcast.

I've been catching up on some old eps of Three Moves Ahead, not sure why I didn't listen to this earlier. I'm not a huge strategy gamer, but I'm familiar with a few of the guys from other podcasts, and these are still pretty interesting for someone with my limited strategy game knowledge. Seems like a really good match for Idle Thumbs.

Jake

Is there a name for the Idle Bookcast yet?
Not yet!

I just caught up on the livestream -- that Pikmin 2 match with the clutch ball return was amazing. I would totally watch an Idle Thumbs Pikmin 2 e-sports broadcast.
If we can talk ourselves into doing this, it would probably be my favorite thing. I'm glad that last second ball return upset happened in the livecast. That sort of stuff is my favorite thing about Pikmin 2 multi. It's a pretty simple set of RTS systems but they work together amazingly well, the matches don't drag on, but there is enough time to clearly form and execute a strategy, attempt some subterfuge, and have a huge upset or two within that short time.

Erudite

I'd also recommend their recent Jagged Alliance 2 (the original, not the succeeding episode about the new BIA).

I never played the game, but their discussion of it really made me want to check it out.

Yeah, whenever 3MA covers a game I'm playing/interested in, their discussions become really interesting.

Jintor

A wild progresscast appears!

progress_door.jpg

progress_inside.jpg

sixghost

For those who feared a move would mean the end of Idle Thumbs' traditional siren interruptions, we are pleased to introduce you to our new neighbor: a San Francisco Fire Department training and testing area. We haven't been by when they are in action, but we hope they bring you only the noisiest, worst sirens.
progress_fire.jpg

lol, perfect

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The Idle Thumbs Video Game Web Podcast for Books

If we can talk ourselves into doing this, it would probably be my favorite thing. I'm glad that last second ball return upset happened in the livecast. That sort of stuff is my favorite thing about Pikmin 2 multi. It's a pretty simple set of RTS systems but they work together amazingly well, the matches don't drag on, but there is enough time to clearly form and execute a strategy, attempt some subterfuge, and have a huge upset or two within that short time.

I wish I would have given it more of a chance in college. I played the crap out of the SP and dabbled a bit in multiplayer, but never really got into it enough to see any depth. I had always assumed it was just another one of Nintendo's tacked-on multiplayer modes like in Metroid Prime 2.
now someone is going to tell me that MP2's multiplayer was secretly amazing

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
I sure hope we're not going to be called readers in The Idle Thumbs Bookcast, that would make too much sense.

Top Bottom