• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle thumbs IS BACK (Kickstarter ended) -- Funded in 3 hours

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
sorry to bump this, but any word on when the new site is launching?

I guess they are holding it back until they've got their "office" up and running and have dealt with all the rewards and shipping. :D

On a side note, on the latest Progresscast Chris mentions Rayman Origins, which was my #1 game as voted in the GAF GOTY 2011 Thread

StevePharma said:
Rayman Origins ; My #1 vote is both to raise awareness and because the game is amazing. The perfect blend of good (high-res) art, tight controls, humor & great level design/music. No frustration at all while playing due to good checkpointing and instant retries. Ancel and his small team should be applauded because they provide an experience that few big teams can rival.

The game is exceptionally well designed and thought out.

Gamasutra did an 8 page piece on the design of Rayman Origins.[Click to read]

It's an excellent read and I recommend it to everyone, especially designers.

Gomu Gomu

I'm neck-deep in an overloaded semester at uni (software engineering), I wish I had the time to invest in actually playing and enjoying strategy games. I've never actually given TMA a real listen, but I'll probably give it a shot in the future.

Another Software Engineering student, who's a thumbs fan and has an overloaded semester? *high five*

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I couldn't really care less about strategy games.

Started listening to TMA.

I now care about strategy games.

sixghost

I couldn't really care less about strategy games.

Started listening to TMA.

I now care about strategy games.

Any episode where they talk about Starcraft or the concepts of multiplayer strategy is fascinating, but any episode where they talk about some WWII or fantasy themed strategy game makes me lose interest.

Jake

We're working on it now but don't have an ETA yet. When things get close I'll start being more of a weirdo than usual in places like this thread, so you'll know.

sixghost

We're working on it now but don't have an ETA yet. When things get close I'll start being more of a weirdo than usual in places like this thread, so you'll know.

Do you guys have any plans to do some written stuff on the new site? I read a few pieces on the old idle thumbs and enjoyed them.The photo journal where the virtual boy gave one of you a seizure was gold.

Jintor

Any episode where they talk about Starcraft or the concepts of multiplayer strategy is fascinating, but any episode where they talk about some WWII or fantasy themed strategy game makes me lose interest.
Crusader kings 2 sounds really interesting!

sixghost

Crusader kings 2 sounds really interesting!

I was really surprised how much I enjoy Tom Chick's contribution on the podcast. I only knew him from his yearly Top 10 trolling come GOTY time. Even when I completely disagree with his point, he usually makes it well.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I'd love it if TMA talked about Fall of the Samurai. Nobody in my podcastosphere has so far. I am not happy with this outcome.

Max

I am not Max
so when are they going to do the video game podcast??

edit: ooe, legend of grimrock on the progresscast, ignore me

Shaneus

Wait, so Chris is the (or one of the) main organisers of Molyjam? Nice work. Stunningly quick turnaround from concept to product.

Gomu Gomu

That whole play-testing conversation was amazing to hear. I would love to hear more game development discussions in the future from you guys.

Jintor

Do you guys care whether progress casts are restricted to backers or not? I don't particularly give a crap. In fact I get a little annoyed because then they don't put it on the RSS feed and I can't listen to it on the go.

I know it's like EXCLUSIVE or whatever but I dunno.

Do you guys care whether progress casts are restricted to backers or not? I don't particularly give a crap. In fact I get a little annoyed because then they don't put it on the RSS feed and I can't listen to it on the go.

I know it's like EXCLUSIVE or whatever but I dunno.

Most of them are yes, I believe one was made public through the RSS. You can listen to it on the go because they give a direct dl-link on the kickstarterpage.

It's also nice to know that the newly bought furniture
is already getting soiled

Shaneus

I want their J Allard to wear fake dreadlocks.
sfNyz.jpg

frequency

I've been listening to the new podcasts and I know this is blasphemous but...
I think I "outgrew" Idle Thumbs. I was really excited for this but listening to it now is kind of annoying. There are moments of greatness, but most of it is just laughing at themselves, interrupting each other, and throwing out old tired inside jokes.

Like many others, Idle Thumbs used to be my favourite podcast (after the Brodeo went away). I'm not sure if I changed or if they changed.

I'll keep listening for as long as I can though... since I paid money. I really hope it grows on me again.

sixghost

I think I "outgrew" Idle Thumbs. I was really excited for this but listening to it now is kind of annoying. There are moments of greatness, but most of it is just laughing at themselves, interrupting each other, and throwing out old tired inside jokes.

Like many others, Idle Thumbs used to be my favourite podcast (after the Brodeo went away). I'm not sure if I changed or if they changed.

I'll keep listening for as long as I can though... since I paid money. I really hope it grows on me again.

If anything, there has been much less of this in the progress casts.

I did notice that a few past progresscasts have been rougher than what the Idle Thumbs crew were outputting at their peak. However, I'm going to give them the benefit of doubt, given that they are starting from scratch again.

What I remember being great about the podcast is that they would pick a game that had slipped the mainstream media, and laser focus on it, analyze and discuss it in great detail; for example, Torchlight, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. etc. In most of the new podcast they have barely have any solid discussion about games, other than Shawn trying DOTA2, and Minecraft. Once they all play a game that they all enjoy, we'll get back the magic. The last podcast was pretty good on tangents and humor, so now all we need is more game talk.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I did notice that a few past progresscasts have been rougher than what the Idle Thumbs crew were outputting at their peak. However, I'm going to give them the benefit of doubt, given that they are starting from scratch again.

What I remember being great about the podcast is that they would pick a game that had slipped the mainstream media, and laser focus on it, analyze and discuss it in great detail; for example, Torchlight, S.T.A.L.K.E.R. etc. In most of the new podcast they have barely have any solid discussion about games, other than Shawn trying DOTA2, and Minecraft. Once they all play a game that they all enjoy, we'll get back the magic. The last podcast was pretty good on tangents and humor, so now all we need is more game talk.

Maybe I'm wrong but the progress casts were never intended to be just like The Idle Thumbs Podcast. They're deliberately minimizing discussion of actual games, though I suppose the progress casts that they made public are supposed to be representative of their real intentions. In any case, I haven't noticed a substantial change and they're sure as hell more fun to listen to than just about any other game cast out there.

Top Bottom