• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Idle thumbs IS BACK (Kickstarter ended) -- Funded in 3 hours

Thanks a zillion, GAF! GAF was the single biggest external source of dollars to our Kickstarter--nearly 8% of all dollars pledged were from people who arrived at the Kickstarter from GAF, which is ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yay! Congrats thumbs, and thanks for taking such a huge risk to bring the cast back. Looking forward to (hopefully) years and years of absurdity!

Hey all, the VODs are up-

Part 1
Part 2

It got split up due to us having to swap around some bandwith settings mid-stream. Enjoy~
THANKS a lot it was in the middle of the night for me when the stream was on so I could not watch it! :(

But now I can.

Congrats on getting the funding Chris and Idle Thumbs we look forward to hearing our podblast soon! :D

Shaneus

Thanks a zillion, GAF! GAF was the single biggest external source of dollars to our Kickstarter--nearly 8% of all dollars pledged were from people who arrived at the Kickstarter from GAF, which is ridiculous.
Not to mention the ones (most likely I) who was initially turned onto it by GAF, but come donating time, used their browser history or something.

We do love you guys :) (And from what I can gather, at least a little under 1% was donated by AusGAFfers ;) )

Bernbaum

Another AusGAF alumnus that dropped $210 on this. I did it for the years of free entertainment, and not the stuff that comes in the package, although that's a nice bonus.

We do seem to have an Australian readership that is disproportionately large relative to the country's population.

One of my closest friends, whom I met when I was living in Boston, is Australian. She wasn't familiar with Idle Thumbs before we met, but she has since learned that a number of her friends back in Australia were huge Idle Thumbs fans, by complete coincidence. They in turn were surprised to learn that she is a friend of mine.

Jintor

On an off note, did you work with Tracey Lien for like a week or two while she was at game dev mag, or was that while you were at Irrational?

On an off note, did you work with Tracey Lien for like a week or two while she was at game dev mag, or was that while you were at Irrational?

No, I've never worked with Tracey, although we Know Each Other On The Internet, and I met her in person for the first time at GDC this year.

Shaneus

We do seem to have an Australian readership that is disproportionately large relative to the country's population.

One of my closest friends, whom I met when I was living in Boston, is Australian. She wasn't familiar with Idle Thumbs before we met, but she has since learned that a number of her friends back in Australia were huge Idle Thumbs fans, by complete coincidence. They in turn were surprised to learn that she is a friend of mine.
You could probably expect this sort of reception if you guys came down here.
FWIW, I wasn't going to post this, but pretty much had to when I saw there was a Hide Thumbs/Show Thumbs assistant on the picture.

hamchan

Yeah, so I started and finished The Sense of an Ending today and it was pretty decent. It'll certainly make for some interesting discussions in the book cast.

reefa

Neo Member
I'm an Aussie too, and went in for $1337 .. Will be heading to the US later this year so hopefully I can catch up with the Thumbs crew while over there :)

I'm also gonna be crashing the Double Fine offices too ;)

Ledsen

What about Sweden? Me and Corky represent!

Mar

Another AusGAF alumnus that dropped $210 on this. I did it for the years of free entertainment, and not the stuff that comes in the package, although that's a nice bonus.

Yep, another Aus here and I put in a bit more than $210, and for the same reasons. I paid to have idlethumbs back in my ears, couldn't care less about the rewards (although they are cool and I'm looking forward to them!).

Yep, another Aus here and I put in a bit more than $210, and for the same reasons. I paid to have idlethumbs back in my ears, couldn't care less about the rewards (although they are cool and I'm looking forward to them!).

More AusGAF here, only $110 though since I went in the same amount at Double Fine & Wasteland 2. TOO MUCH GOOD THINGS HAPPENING ALL AT ONCE.

Jintor

No, I've never worked with Tracey, although we Know Each Other On The Internet, and I met her in person for the first time at GDC this year.

Cool beans. I hope to meet you one day, possibly wearing an Idle Thumbs shirt so I can replicate the Tim Schafer moment you had or something.

Corto

I'm honestly thrilled that you guys achieved this kind of success. I've immediately purchased "The sense of an ending" after watching the stream and I will start reading it today. Can't wait to see what you guys have in store for us for the future. I wish that you can continue to do this for years and years to come. God speed Thumbs!

Empty

so is the sense of an ending confirmed as the first book club choice? i wasn't watching the stream

good book, look forward to the discussion id so. it's cheap these days for uk gaffers too, i'm pretty sure i saw whsmiths giving out copies for a pound if you bought the times a few weeks ago.

Remo! You're one of those freaks who can do barre chords by wrapping your
idle
thumb around the neck! Are your hands huge, or what?

Hey, any chance for tabs or chord sheets? I could take the time to listen carefully and figure it out, but come on, I don't have that kind of time.

Shaneus

Anyone know how long before they officially start up the podcast again (not including the progresscasts)?
I think they said a few weeks. No specific date yet, at least (but progresscasts will still be happening). Which reminds me... not counting last night, it feels like we haven't had a PC in a while :(

Remo! You're one of those freaks who can do barre chords by wrapping your
idle
thumb around the neck! Are your hands huge, or what?

Hey, any chance for tabs or chord sheets? I could take the time to listen carefully and figure it out, but come on, I don't have that kind of time.

I have pretty big hands, yeah. Because I have no real training on the guitar I never learned how to barre properly, and now it's become such an instinct that it's almost impossible for me not to play that way. Any barre chord note that needs to be played on the sixth string I play with my thumb.

Yeah I could slam out chords for The Wizard at some point, but I don't have a guitar handy right now (I was using a borrowed one last night) so it'll have to be later.

In the meantime, the chords to the theme song are simple and are as follows:
E ("Idle...")
F ("Thu..." - leave the 1st and 2nd strings open)
F ("...uuu..." - fret the 1st and 2nd strings to make the full F chord)
E ("...umbs")

The entire rest of the piece is just a repetition of:
A
F
Dm
E

It ends with an Asus, then an A.

Also, I keep my guitar downtuned a whole step--every string is downtuned, it's not drop-D or anything like that. So technically all the chords listed above sound one whole step lower than they would on a standard-tuned guitar, but all fingerings are identical.

I have pretty big hands, yeah. Because I have no real training on the guitar I never learned how to barre properly, and now it's become such an instinct that it's almost impossible for me not to play that way. Any barre chord note that needs to be played on the sixth string I play with my thumb.

Yeah I could slam out chords for The Wizard at some point, but I don't have a guitar handy right now (I was using a borrowed one last night) so it'll have to be later.

In the meantime, the chords to the theme song are simple and are as follows:
E ("Idle...")
F ("Thu..." - leave the 1st and 2nd strings open)
F ("...uuu..." - fret the 1st and 2nd strings to make the full F chord)
E ("...umbs")

The entire rest of the piece is just a repetition of:
A
F
Dm
E

It ends with an Asus, then an A.

Also, I keep my guitar downtuned a whole step--every string is downtuned, it's not drop-D or anything like that. So technically all the chords listed above sound one whole step lower than they would on a standard-tuned guitar, but all fingerings are identical.

I love reading this kind of stuff. An Idle Thumbs song book with tabs/sheet music would be rad. Or if chords were added to the Idle Thumbs: The Album section of the site. Maybe in .PDF form as to not clutter the layout of the site.

Shaneus

Crap, I have no idea how I missed that. Awesome!

Hey guys, possible idea that I might float here: Came across this in the AusGAF thread, looks like it could be decent book club fodder, providing that the ITBC isn't solely focused on deep discussion of themes and values ingrained in highbrow, sophisticated novels and is also there just for fun reading. Also supports fellow Kickstarters and innovation and all that crap.

Top Bottom