• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you were filthy rich, which games would you save?

Bregor

Suppose you won the lottery, or a distant billionaire uncle died and left you gobs of cash. After going on spending spree, you decide that you wish to save some of your favorite game series that look like they may never get another sequel. You have enough money to buy up the rights to any three franchises (and fund their development), which do you pick?

I would pick:
System Shock
Skies of Arcadia
Anachronox

Kon Tiki

Banned
I'd Buy System Shock from EA and give it to Oxygen.

Hmmm, I think I might buy all EA's strongarmed franchises and give them away.

Slo

I'd fund development of DNF for the next 6 months and then return to my day job when the money's gone.

epmode

ico doesn't need saving:
MagicBox said:
Sony's ICO development team has confirmed that a new title is under development, they plan to reveal the title in near future. The team has also revealed the worldwide sales of ICO, which is around 650,000 copies; and the breakdown is as follows:

USA (09/26/01) - 250,000 units
Japan (12/06/01) - 160,000 units
Asia (01/13/02) - 20,000 units
South Korea (02/22/02) - 20,000 units
Europe (03/20/02) - 200,000 units
as for my choice? the entire lucasarts adventure game development team, circa grim fandango. i miss that genre so much.

Oni
System Shock
Interstate '76 ('82 was garbage)
Oni again

Maybe make somebody redo Silent Storm so it doesn't piss me off

I'd also get Street Fighter back on track. I mean, I'm thrilled that we're all loving SF3rd right now, but Capcom Fighting Jam ain't gonna cut it.

bjork

A number 1: Berzerk. WHY WON'T THEY RERELEASE THIS?

#2: Space Taxi

Others:
NiGHTS
Silent Bomber
Impossible Mission
EA's Skate or Die
Beetle Adventure Racing
Gun.Smoke
Kid Icarus

many more, I'm sure...

:edit - Full Throttle and Sam & Max, too:

I'd buy the rights to Ultima Online and then give it to NCSoft to make a new game with Garriot at the helm, i would make sure they made it in the style of pre trammel but with the good things from later (rune books, scenario's, custom housing) as well. No blessed items no fucking trammel and town invasions from time to time to keep everyone busy.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
MrPing1000 said:
I'd buy the rights to Ultima Online and then give it to NCSoft to make a new game with Garriot at the helm, i would make sure they made it in the style of pre trammel but with the good things from later (rune books, scenario's, custom housing) as well. No blessed items no fucking trammel and town invasions from time to time to keep everyone busy.

He's too busy with his new MMORPG.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I agree with many of those mentioned here (especially System Shock).

I would also add Outcast...

Outcast 2 looked fantastic and I absolutely loved the original game...but things didn't go as planned and OC2 was cancelled. :(

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Venntsoft would buy the rights to, and develop:

* A remake of Origin's "Autoduel" - A car wars extravaganza of an RPG with FPS elements.

* Grand Prix Legends 1976 - I want to beat James Hunt in a racing sim, with Heskeths & everything :D

* Elite 4 - Although this would be my heart ruling my head, I'm not convinced my nostalgic love of Elite isn't just that, nostalgia, and maybe the reason David Braben has sat on this property is the fact that it doesn't/won't translate to present day with the charm intact.
(This based on the number of also-rans attempting, and failing, to be the new "Elite" over the years.)

calder

Freelancer. Damn I loved that game, I'm going to run through it again soon.
Outlaws
I'd make an overture to buy the StarCraft franchise and when Blizzard said "wtf? no way!" I'd say "oh I'm sorry I just thought the series was defunct since IT'S BEEN SO LONG. Hopefully that'd shame them into it.

as for my choice? the entire lucasarts adventure game development team, circa grim fandango. i miss that genre so much.
I agree with this statement as much as I've ever agreed with any opinion expressed in these forums. I actually found my Full Throttle cd sitting loose in a desk drawer last week while I was hunting for some games. It's all scratched to hell and gone, but I think I'll see if it'll install again...

FoneBone

dark10x said:
I agree with many of those mentioned here (especially System Shock).

I would also add Outcast...

Outcast 2 looked fantastic and I absolutely loved the original game...but things didn't go as planned and OC2 was cancelled. :(
I still need to play the first game... what happened to the developer, anyway?

epmode said:
IAWTP. And another vote for BG&E.

Matlock

Banned
Sam and Max 2
Psi-Ops 2

...and I'd use the rest of the allocated money to guarantee that Ico never gets a sequel. Just to spite some people.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I'd start my own game company and hire people away from esteemed companies like Treasure, Capcom, etc... Focus mostly on RPGs, 2-D platformers, 2-D shooters, fighters...

If I could pick any franchise to "save", I'd pick the FF series. Buy the rights to it, hire Sakaguchi back on board, where him and I will joint direct-produce it.

BuddyC

Sam & Max
Klonoa
Samba de Amigo

I can't believe it took 32 replies for someone to mention Samba :(

Now I'm sad :(

Street Fighter 4 with:

A) No wacky Darkstalkers characters (Oro, Necro, Twelve, Gill)
B) High-resolution graphics and sprites
C) SF3 parry system
D) A decent non-vocal soundtrack with some classic SF2 stage tune remixes
E) An almost completely new cast, with the few returning characters completely redrawn and retooled
F) NO AKUMA or CLONE CHARACTERS
G) Sony PS3 and arcade only releases
H) Home version REQUIRES an arcade stick to play; pad weenies not allowed
I) "Leguna Mode" where the CPU brags incessantly about its mad skills, summarily loses to you, and then randomly generates an excuse

thomaser

I'd simply set up a studio for bringing over all of Nintendo's Japan-only games to western shores. Earthbound, Legend Of Stafy, Marvellous, Giftpia, Detective Series and so on.

MoxManiac

Guardian Legend, with a sequel that would make the likes of Drinky and co squeal with delight. Ditto for Battle of Olympus.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
i suppose i'd revive raizing and psikyo. and promptly liquidate their vile oppressors, eighting and x-nauts respectively. then i'd reassemble tecnosoft and set them to work on a new thunderforce. oh, and i'd buy a controlling interest in irem and put them to work on loads of delta-quality r type games. and image fight games. and metal storm games. and cancel all their other awful crap. and of course i'd reunite the original metal slug team, and expedite the production of all-new metal slugs in glorious low-res 2d. and i'd give treasure a cash infusion such that they'd never have to work on licensed crap again.

then i'd go spectacularly bankrupt because of my heavy investments in videogames no one wants to play!

jcjimher

Shenmue III, IV and further are sure picks, of course. If I had some money left :), I would then pick the Jet Set Radio series, although I would be satisfied with only a couple of Hideki Naganuma soundtracks.

Then, for a third pick I have my doubts. Maybe I would pay for a full-blown high resolution King of Fighters, or a nextgen Streets of Rage with a new Yuzo Koshiro soundtrack.

Alex

I'd use my money to make hostile takeovers and put games like Xeno___ and Shenmue down, simply because I'm an ass like that. Although, from recent editions of said example series, you'd think someone got the idea before me.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Megaman (the original series) - either a new entry or remakes of 1-7 in the style of MM8.
Little Nemo - Kameo is similar but Nemo still rocks
Star Tropics - WTF happened to this series???
Punch-Out!! - Its been a while.

Top Bottom